7.1

1. Aug 31, 2011
    Despite its faults and technical difficulties, Kings' Crusade is a well made game that is a blast to play. There are other games on the market with better graphics, although KC's graphics are still good. With settings on max, I can zoom all the way in to view my soldiers trudging through fields of grass and weeds, or the dust they kick up in the desert. Each soldier is well detailed andDespite its faults and technical difficulties, Kings' Crusade is a well made game that is a blast to play. There are other games on the market with better graphics, although KC's graphics are still good. With settings on max, I can zoom all the way in to view my soldiers trudging through fields of grass and weeds, or the dust they kick up in the desert. Each soldier is well detailed and if you watch them fight close up it's fairly entertaining on its own. The soundtrack does its job well, being in the background and providing an overtone for the game as you play through. The music doesn't awe or inspire me but is still solid and well written in its own right.

As far as combat goes, archers own the field, but they can be gimped with a click in the menus to balance the game much better. Tactics are still required to win and although the AI isn't perfect it's certainly on par with Total War (Some people may argue this point, but lets get serious, any AI can be manipulated).

The game's unit upgrade and equipment allocation is surprisingly addictive, especially at later levels. I found myself excited about upgrading light cavalry to crusader knights among other unit upgrades, and equipping your favored units with better armor and arms gives you more attachment to a unit than you get in any Total War game. Units also level up, which lets you personalize units to your play style. Some skills are passive and thus hands off while others are active and hands on if you care to micromanage. Quests and factions can add a new layer to the game. Most quests involve picking a certain faction to help, which in turn causes other factions to disapprove of you. The happier you can make the factions, the more things you will unlock for each faction (additional skill points, heroes, new units, minor bonuses).

Unlike Neocore's King Arthur, KC has no kingdom to manage, just side quests and army growth which I prefer. If I wanted to have to occupy a town with my whole army for 12 turns until the local populace calmed down enough to not want to rise against me, I'd play Total War. This game is addictive and fun even though battles can sometimes get repetitive.

Some people on various forums have experienced technical difficulties, but since the only thing I've had trouble with is an occasional crash (which happens with most of my games from time to time) I won't really go into it.

To summarize:
    Good graphics, or at least very passable.
    Good sound, or at least very passable.
    Addicting game play and army/hero management and upgrading, though battles can sometimes be repetitious.
    Quests and factions add a fun layer to the game.
    Some people have technical trouble.

All in all, I would say this game is a 7-8. I am rating it a 10 to counteract the ignorant review from rwh1, who states the game is fun and the gives it a zero. This game is worth picking up if you have the money or it pops up on sale (which it does frequently on steam).
  2. Sep 29, 2012
    I LUV this game! If you are a History buff/Strategy buff... fan of Medieval crap... you will love this game. The companion game: Crusaders, Thy Kingdom Come (Longass, Superfluous Title), was released before this game and is concerned with the 1st Crusades... this game involves the 3rd Crusades. (2nd Crusades barely happened, embarrassing and not game-worthy; youd lose in the secondI LUV this game! If you are a History buff/Strategy buff... fan of Medieval crap... you will love this game. The companion game: Crusaders, Thy Kingdom Come (Longass, Superfluous Title), was released before this game and is concerned with the 1st Crusades... this game involves the 3rd Crusades. (2nd Crusades barely happened, embarrassing and not game-worthy; youd lose in the second level, per historical accuracy). But this game is an awesome and unique strategy. In the older, first installment, you get to choose 1 of 5 heroes to play as with unique traits and abilities to apply; depending on the faction you support most in-game you will get between 1 or even 2 sub-heroes with the same principles. (There are fun, interactive Political elements to these games). Everything levels, get abilities and skill points to apply, everything; men and heroes.

This game contains the same principle, although you are stuck playing Richard The Lionhearted (or Saladin if you play Saracen campaign). But regardless, you still can earn sub-heroes through political achievements or even through different sub-missions or choice-options after defeating a province. This game also adds MORE and new RPG elements to the game... in the form of permanent buff-giving Elixirs or useable Potions, Weapons and Armor that you find (for units). For heroes you use Holy items that grant military buffs.

Theres endless combinations of how you can conquer the map through chosen territories/rewards, unit purchasing/upgrading/building... if you ARE a strategy whore like myself you will love this game. Especially a meticulous one. There are MULTIPLE ways to win, as I said, especially through tactics and the men you decide to incorporate and use... especially depends on which battle-plan for which kingdom you decide to go with.

The Saracens were also super-fun (although way HARDER). They ARE different. Base units... relatively the same... mid-late game units, completely different. Saracens use more tricks and speed generally and rely on attack power or hit and run while Crusaders rely on a few more formations (such as Shield Wall which is exclusive to Westerners) and generally heavier units. So there is a fun trade-off and a DISTINCTION between sides. (Which in most strategies THERE IS NOT... just different colors or skins or 1 trait/unit). You can use HEAVY Cavalry to also trample by holding the mouse button down and clicking a direction BEHIND the enemy ground-unit. You can make them engage after or even do it again after they overshoot. But Heavy Cav can also take damage if they do this... depending on Heavy Infantry (and their possible abilities) or SPEARMEN in formation (the result being the trample working... yet you are going to lose a lot of Cav, depending on circumstances). THIS IS WHY THE GAME IS GOOD. It is not a Micro-manage hack-and-slash... its not going to bore the **** out of you in the typical Strategy Game manner. (Which is how most Strategies have become..). There are just meticulous details about units or gear or formations or TERRAIN USEAGE... everything. You can make units move in typical march speed or you can make them double-time/charge (which will use their stamina faster). Lighter units move easier/quicker, drain less, fight better on rough terrain or in woodland... Heavies... the opposite. So yet again more cool strategic elements to consider. If Unit A send 2 groups of infantry against Unit Bs, 1 in the same direction, (colliding), Unit A will attack better obviously being greater in strength... BUT, the 2 groups will cram 1 behind the other... fighting far less efficiently as every single man in a group of 26/48 total will fight 1 on 1(or in formation as 1, such as a Wedge); but if A meets B with each, 1 group... then A sends his 2nd group around and BEHIND Bs 1 infantry... creating a sandwich, you will take Bs group out twice as fast as each man in Bs company is surrounded entirely. This was an EXAMPLE of how the games fighting works between men. Pretty realistic! Not just, A and B collide face to face... guy with more men wins. Unit types will also have a great effect depending on what versus what. If you took Light Infantry on open field and sandwiched Heavy Infantry (their direct counter) then you might slay MORE Heavies then you would otherwise... but you might also lose both groups entirely anyway. So this is essentially how it works.

There is a little bit of trading on the Crusader side in mini-choices/missions as far as Gear is concerned for men... but most of the junk you find (weapons/armors/potions) are found in missions on other groups with colored/glowing banners (you have to eliminate that company to earn the item off them theyre carrying). There is also a wide variety of items too. The game has an economical system as well. Loans, selling, buying... just about anything. Men to items. I highly recommend this game!

1. Jan 3, 2011
    Mildly realistic combat and addictive RPG elements put Lionheart above Crusaders and XIII Century. Unfortunately, the lack of a strategic mode and technical glitches are serious turn-offs that won't stop only the hardened fans of the Crusades epoch.
  2. Dec 27, 2010
    A good strategy game which suffers the presence of other great alternatives that came out during this year, and It's not able to stand out on any aspect.
    We still have a decent title on our hands, with two sides different enough to warrant a replay of the single-player campaign, a well-designed economic system and a factions / research tree which can seal the deal.