6.8

1. May 19, 2013
    Whilst the additions to the game are welcome and worthwhile, the game is still littered with fundamental gripes that outweigh even those of notable MMO failures of recent years. The combat remains one of the slowest, clunkiest and least engaging of any game I've played to date and the rudimentary quests offered by the game are ultimately out of line with innovation.

Don't get me wrong,

Don't get me wrong, this is a welcome and worthwhile installment to the experience, and the additions (huge new zones, mounted combat, the core 'story' quests and the latest patch) but to be honest the game seems like it'll retain the problems its had from day one until its final expansion.

7/10 if you're a LotRO fan; 5/10 if you're fond of a more fluid and intuitive combat system and quite possibly a ten if you're a roleplayer. LotRO remains one of the best roleplaying-friendly MMOs to date and for all its faults the world that Turbine provide you is second to none in scale and beauty.
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    A strong ex pack IMO, the mounted combat its fairly cool once you get used to it and certainly adds something to the game. I still however have some occurring problems for example, i was level 83 when i finished all the quests i had been given in each part of the new zone not 85 which it should of been so quests not matching ur level is here again sadly... the placement of NPC is remindedA strong ex pack IMO, the mounted combat its fairly cool once you get used to it and certainly adds something to the game. I still however have some occurring problems for example, i was level 83 when i finished all the quests i had been given in each part of the new zone not 85 which it should of been so quests not matching ur level is here again sadly... the placement of NPC is reminded me Mirkwood so yeah that was pretty bad overall though those problems aside a enjoyed it and look forward to playing through wildermore and helms deep. Expand
  3. Aug 5, 2013
    The lord of the rings is a solid game. The lore is spot on, the classes model real characters in the books, and overall a nice MMORPG to get in to. My main issue with it is the amount of things you must pay for to actually experience the game. It felt that that every single tidbit of game needed to be bought in order to experience. This isn't free to play, but more free to start. Going inThe lord of the rings is a solid game. The lore is spot on, the classes model real characters in the books, and overall a nice MMORPG to get in to. My main issue with it is the amount of things you must pay for to actually experience the game. It felt that that every single tidbit of game needed to be bought in order to experience. This isn't free to play, but more free to start. Going in expecting to be able to enjoy a fair amount of the game without have to pain, the level of content you actually have to buy ruined my experience. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    I really enjoyed this expansion at the start. The mounted combat was an exciting new feature. The epic line of quests was great. The sight of the Argonath and the fields of Rohan was fantastic. The music was well done. The tension in the story of the quests as you supported the people of Rohan against the invasion from Isengard was fantastic. Many great things. After a time though,I really enjoyed this expansion at the start. The mounted combat was an exciting new feature. The epic line of quests was great. The sight of the Argonath and the fields of Rohan was fantastic. The music was well done. The tension in the story of the quests as you supported the people of Rohan against the invasion from Isengard was fantastic. Many great things. After a time though, it became disappointing. Housing was still basically unchanged since launch. Monster Play continued to be on the back burner and left the PVPers to feel like Turbine's redheaded stepchildren. The loot tables were messed up so that massive amounts of 2nd and 1st age symbols were dumped into the game prematurely. The raids and instance cluster in general were VERY buggy so that some could not be completed. Mounted combat had one 'raid' mob that you could solo and there was never a reason to spend much time trying to master the skills as a result. The mounted combat lag had you warping around the fields of Rohan and was not addressed until just recently...and it still lags. The communication with the community and the handling of issues by CS continued to deteriorate. The game itself simply did not support large raids in either PVE or PVP and was unplayable at times. The frequency of login issues for many people got to be a real problem as well. What started out as something with great promise really declined fast for me. I now would not recommend it. Expand

1. Nov 18, 2012
    Quotation forthcoming.
  2. Nov 12, 2012
    Riders of Rohan is the best add-on for Lord of the Rings Online thus far. It has one of the best mounted combats I've ever seen in MMOs and with the great, atmospheric Tolkien universe it is a great game for every fan of the books or the films.
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    Don't let my minor complaints deter you though. If you haven't played Lord of the Rings Online for a while then Rohan is the perfect excuse to pick it up again. If you have never played LotRO then I would encourage you to give it a try, all of the stuff leading up to Rohan is still compelling and you will know that you have a good expansion waiting for you at the end.