8.2

1. Sep 22, 2010
    Lotro has the potential to surpass World of Warcraft in popularity, 'cause it's now free to play. When comes to quality, Lotro just barely misses WoW. I have to say, I am hooked.However, I would like to criticize travel time. I keep finding myself annoyed by having to go here and there to get this and that, train this or that, or kill this and that. Then again, aren't they all like that?
  2. Dec 28, 2010
    You could sum this all up why saying, Yes this does the the content/community/design to compete...and beat WoW. Complete with Beautiful environments, and it sticks to the lore. Zones feel more like actual worlds to explore and adventure in, rather than something to swing by in to get a explorer achievment. My only complaint is that it is a tad lacking on PvP, or PvMP as it is called. Other than that...whats not to like? Expand
  3. Sep 17, 2011
    A solid MMORPG with great graphics, excellent quest system, and a solid UI. Free to play is great along with the other subscription models to chose from. The lore from Lord of the Rings is an extra bonus.
  4. Aug 15, 2011
    LOTRO is probably one of the best MMORPGs out there that I have played, you CAN pay but if you don't you can still get the meat of the game. Imagine World of Warcraft but free, the community is MUCH better, storyline that ties into the books/movies, and the classes are more flushed out then in WoW. However with that said the game is not perfect. I have had many glitches where the music would stop and all I would hear are the ambient noises. The roleplaying community is really nice (if you are interested) and the game is very much alive. I went in to LOTRO not planning on spending ANY money on it and so far I've put over 60$ on the game (including the new expansion about to come out) Expand
  5. Dec 19, 2011
    I wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still a very-good MMO. It receives constant updates and never feels "boring." Expand
  6. Nov 30, 2013
    I really liked this game, well maybe i didn't like some mechanics but it was super fun overall. I think it's an mmo a lot of people can play without being completely devoted to it.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    BEST MMO IN HISTORY. WoW is very, very good. Rift is also very good. GW1 and GW2 both very good. Everquest 1 and 2 are pretty good and so on and on. LOTRO on the other hand is exceptional. It has a certain quality that ALL the others lack. For me, it is by far the most immersive MMO I've experienced which just keeps growing. The sound, graphic style, the mounts, the lore, the environments are as good as it gets. It's hard to find fault with LOTRO and why I feel it deserves a perfect 10. From a gaming perspective, I can't see how they could improve it??? Even with all the big guns of our modern times (TOR and GW2), they should have used LOTRO as a template and bettered it. Instead, they created a fancier graphics, poor mans replacement. Tut tut for all that money wasted. Oh, LOTRO is FREE TO PLAY!!! Go download now and enjoy. Bye. Expand
  8. Jul 17, 2012
    I've played this game recently and lets first say that it is mega addictive and there is always something to do and look forward to each level you gain.
    The graphics are pretty great, very wide variety of options and the maps are outstanding. Like 'The Shire' in LOTRO is amazing and just looks extraordinary. The game play is also quite great, the combat is slow yet you can't expect a
    whole lot of fast paced action in Lord of the rings can you?
    However, there is one downside to the game that after lvl 30-35 you dont get free to play maps anymore. And you must either pay real cash or gain lots of TP (Turbine Points) (In-game store) to keep on playing.
    Which is a little expensive but really its worth it.
    + Great crafting system and the community is always willing to help newbies etc.
    Definitely something to check out
  9. Jul 27, 2012
    I am really not sure where that Thradar fellow is getting his information, but Lord of the Rings Online has been constantly updating, especially since Siege of Mirkwood, and I'm not talking tweaking what's already there. Since SoM, there's been Enedwaith, Rise of Isengard and the Great River as major areas, as well as the aformentioned tweaking. They've updated a lot of the art and presentation, giving a more immersive experience to the areas. Dunland feels like Dunland, which feels just a little different than Enedwaith, even though they're technically the same area on the map of Middle-Earth.

They've added several instances, across the board, as well as for end-game experiences. And they're the only game experience I've had so far where I'm still unfolding an epic storyline at level cap! Come Septenmber 5th: mounted combat and the Riders of Rohan expansion! Hope to see you there!
  10. Dec 1, 2012
    This definitely has the potential to surpass WoW! I love the game-play, though I do have to say travel time (even on horses) is a problem. But what's a problem like that next to how good this COMPLETELY FREE game is?!
  11. Jul 21, 2013
    This game looks amazing, the sound is excellent and despite the oh so WOW safe and proven formula, it isnt a WOW copy and theres enough differences to notice it. And Radagast is awesome.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    I like this game a lot, not too easy, not too hard. The zones are reproduced very accurately and the class's feel good to me. Overall I like this game.
  13. Jan 6, 2014
    If you like loot, this game is for you.
    If you played D2, this game is for you.
    If you like unique builds, this game is for you.

Truly F2P, truly amazing. Best game of the last 10 years for me.
  14. Dec 8, 2013
    Finally....an MMO set in Tolkien's world. Loved exploring the Shire, the Old Forest, Bree, Rivendell. Great music. Fantastic sights and sounds. The darkness of Angmar was great. The RIFT raid was epic. At the start, the 'housing neighborhoods' were wonderful (sadly, Turbine did nothing to update this aspect of the game in later years). Exceptional work and something I'd highly recommend for any gamer who liked reading or watching The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Expand
  15. Mar 30, 2014
    This is a very fun game with hours of time. The quests are really well written and it has good graphics. It is also a great representation of Middle Earth. The only thing that I would change is for the world to be less static ie. the monsters attack camps etc
  16. LyleB.
    May 1, 2007
    I came doubting it would do the lore justice. I was wrong. From closed beta (I started in Feb) til now, I have been in gaming heaven. The stories and quests and the way they are tied together and told are convincing - best use of story in an MMO yet. The graphics are immersive and very pretty! And the Turbine team has launched a very polished game. Give it a shot eveb if you're not a Tolkien fan; and especially if you don't care for or have grown tired of other MMO's. I'm not sure how anybody can call this game a grind. I love it! It didn't get a ten from me because the crafting probably needs some tweaking (which I hear is coming). Collapse

1. With Turbine's long-standing MMORPG expertise powering proceedings and one of the most welcoming communities in gaming, LOTRO presents a stunning and evocative world of Tolkien magic to explore - if you're any kind of fan, it would seem pretty much an essential purchase.
  2. It's absolutely no exaggeration to say that this is far and away the best game for anyone who hasn't played an MMOG before to cut their teeth on. Even more than the familiar universe, the excellent interface and gameplay design Turbine have crafted turn this into an experience which those who have previously avoided the lure of MMOs will find tough to resist.
  3. There's a lot of quests in the game. A lot. In the first ten to fifteen levels alone, you're likely to do 50-100 quests, if not much more. While the game seems to have only a small number of areas available at launch, each area is quite large, and there's a fair amount to do in each area as you progress to level 50.