8.1

1. NickJ
    Oct 30, 2009
    I have played several MMOs before: Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online...Hell, even RuneScape. I'd have to say that LotRO is my absolute favourite of all MMOs. It is streamlined, epic, and boasts an amazing amount of polish and balance. Not only that, but this is the original fantasy world, not some sort of D&D-ish knockoff. I think honestly, Tolkein would be proud at how I have played several MMOs before: Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online...Hell, even RuneScape. I'd have to say that LotRO is my absolute favourite of all MMOs. It is streamlined, epic, and boasts an amazing amount of polish and balance. Not only that, but this is the original fantasy world, not some sort of D&D-ish knockoff. I think honestly, Tolkein would be proud at how much they stuck to the books while giving everyone a lot of freedom to do whatever they wanted. But then again, I'm not a fanboy, so I'm sure someone will come along eventually and tell me everything that Turbine messed up. However, as far as I can tell, it's extraordinarily accurate, and a hell of a lot of fun. Try the trial, you won't be disappointed if you like MMOs. Expand
  2. JacobSivers
    Jun 21, 2007
    I am so far completely in love with this!
    One of many great things about this game is that you never run out of things to do. Almost every quest is a part of a quest line and it is all driven by one story or another. In my mind this is >the< wow killer. If you are tired of the imaturity of other MMOs (wow anyone) I say give it a go!
  3. DavidA.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Great game, I play WOW too, but I find LOTR Online just a little more realistic, not that I don't like WOW but if you want the original fantasy land and characters this is the game!
  4. DarylL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    The most appealing point to the game is the fact that it is Lord of the Rings! Fan of the books or the films there is no better experience than being able to part of the storyline and be in middle-earth. The game looks stunning, The Shire, Rivendell look just as you would imagine if not better.
  5. Daveydje
    Apr 25, 2007
    Pretty impressed so far. Very few glitches for a launch MMO, and very nice graphics and gameplay. Great intro into the game, and i don't mean an FMV sequence, and then your dumped in a start zone. I mean an intro sequence you can actually play through, and that draws you into the story. Yes, it has taken it's influence from many of the MMOs on the market, but it's been Pretty impressed so far. Very few glitches for a launch MMO, and very nice graphics and gameplay. Great intro into the game, and i don't mean an FMV sequence, and then your dumped in a start zone. I mean an intro sequence you can actually play through, and that draws you into the story. Yes, it has taken it's influence from many of the MMOs on the market, but it's been pulled together really well. Been playing since beta, and I'm really enjoying it. Expand
  6. MichaelS.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Large range of graphic settings, meaning that more people can play without upgrading their computer. Quests are worth more than killing mobs--instead of grinding and killing the same thing over and over again, you are running around grinding quests. A nice title system--fulfill certain requirements and you gain a title to show for it (I'm currently "the Slug-Squasher" for killing 30 Large range of graphic settings, meaning that more people can play without upgrading their computer. Quests are worth more than killing mobs--instead of grinding and killing the same thing over and over again, you are running around grinding quests. A nice title system--fulfill certain requirements and you gain a title to show for it (I'm currently "the Slug-Squasher" for killing 30 slugs--it's humorous). A few of the many improvements from WoW: You are able to dye your armor! No more wearing set pieces to avoid looking like a clown. Less "cartoony" looking. The healing class, the minstrel, is done very well. As a priest in WoW this was a breath of fresh air. This game will certainly tide me over until they finally decide to release WAR. Expand
  7. ScottA.
    Jul 24, 2007
    Wonderful fun, you don't grind XP but enjoy the stories in all the quests! It is Middle Earth and you are really there. They are very true to the lore in the books. Highly recommended.
  8. IanA.
    Aug 11, 2007
    You know, I thought I was bored of LOTR (read the books the first time in 3rd grade, and I think I fell asleep during the last movie the first time I saw it), turn based combat, fantasy settings, and more typical style MMO games... but somehow this game totally sucked me in. It's taken the best of each part and refined it to the point where you're actually having fun again. I You know, I thought I was bored of LOTR (read the books the first time in 3rd grade, and I think I fell asleep during the last movie the first time I saw it), turn based combat, fantasy settings, and more typical style MMO games... but somehow this game totally sucked me in. It's taken the best of each part and refined it to the point where you're actually having fun again. I had a week off from work so decided to try it out on a buddy pass, and was seriously having trouble dragging myself away. I spent the last day just exploring a much higher level area than I should be at because it's so beautiful. It was actually just as or more exciting avoiding the monsters and trying to find places to mine and sneaking around as trying to kill them. It's only been out for a short time and they've already added a full area. I can't wait till all of middle earth is included as exploring is one of the best parts of this game. The quests have much better stories than most MMO games, and I find myself actually reading the text instead of clicking past (I finally got sick of that and quit a couple other games). None of the quests are totally grinding, they've all got some kind of story, even if it's simple. Combat is pretty standard MMO fare, but the animations of the creatures are really quite good. Watch a warg walk, and shiver. Anyway, I recommend getting a buddy pass and checking it out. Expand
  9. markoasfikfh
    Feb 26, 2008
    I am a new one in MMO world, but this is GREAT! Excelent gameplay, beautiful world, various enemies, great story . . . , everething you need foor great fun! Maybe I can't be totaly objective becouse I am Tolkin fan, but I didn't regret for buying this game ( and it's for shure best ever LOTR game).
  10. JosephC.
    May 2, 2008
    I was skeptical at first, when i saw the game used at least 96% WoW UI and features. I played the trial to see how it was and it was 100% better than WoW. The players are on a much more mature level (there are a few annoying people on it though) where in WoW, its mostly 10-13 year olds. The crafting is much more organized and it is much more balanced class-wise, every class has a major I was skeptical at first, when i saw the game used at least 96% WoW UI and features. I played the trial to see how it was and it was 100% better than WoW. The players are on a much more mature level (there are a few annoying people on it though) where in WoW, its mostly 10-13 year olds. The crafting is much more organized and it is much more balanced class-wise, every class has a major weakness and strength. Races are much more detailed attribute-wise, such as men will have better "Fate" because of Tolkiens story-line, they will also have less "Will". The PvP is very disappointing, the map is very VERY large and it's fairly unorganized. There are less server selection which makes you be able to play with more players. The graphics are excellent but can get a little laggy in some places. Great game, if you wan't PvP/PvE play WoW, want PvE play LOTRO, want PvP play EVE-online. Expand
  11. GiancarloF.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Awesome game. It looks great, it's got enough content to keep you busy for ages, and the idea that the game will eventually be updated to include much of Middle-Earth makes me tingle in my special place. This game is a must for any Lord of the Rings fan.
  12. MatthewB.
    May 1, 2007
    Very much like WoW, although perhaps the graphics aren't as smooth. However it does have tons of atmosphere, and really interesting innovations. Killing a monster with a strum on your hobbit lute is something else.
  13. NigelM.
    May 1, 2007
    I have never experienced immersion so compelling. Good, like WoW, with some cool additions like "Deeds".
  14. AnonymousMC
    Dec 2, 2007
    Great game. If i had one complaint it would be that the first few levels are not much fun, which may put off some players. I wish you wouldn't have to run through a linear instance each time you created a new character. Otherwise the graphics, artistic design, gameplay, sound and music are all top notch. If you are sick of WoW give this game a try you may like it.
  15. Tim
    Apr 18, 2007
    I'd rate this a 10 if it were based only on how it compared to other MMOs on release day. This MMO has some moderate economic problems...but other then that this is the best looking MMO at release since World of Warcraft.
  16. ChrisU.
    Apr 29, 2007
    This game is high class and if you are a middle earth fan it is perfect.
  17. Pagancollective
    Apr 30, 2007
    Fun as hell. I've played all of the major MMOs and this one, just like the best of them (original EQ, WoW, etc.) has something special about it.
  18. CarlM.
    Apr 30, 2007
    I've played several MMO's over the year, but none grabbed me like this one did - Everquest? Stopped playing after a month. StarWars Galaxies? Two months. WoW? Didn't get past the free trial a friend gave me. Guild Wars? About 2 months. None of them had a strong sense of being a part of the world, nothing to compell me onwards. LotRO, although taking (necessary) some I've played several MMO's over the year, but none grabbed me like this one did - Everquest? Stopped playing after a month. StarWars Galaxies? Two months. WoW? Didn't get past the free trial a friend gave me. Guild Wars? About 2 months. None of them had a strong sense of being a part of the world, nothing to compell me onwards. LotRO, although taking (necessary) some artistic license with the source material, has that feeling I've found so lacking in other games. I've been playing, through beta, for longer than any other MMO I've tried, which says enough for me! Expand
  19. RikkiA.
    May 4, 2007
    As a female gamer( rare I know) I love this becuase it is beautifully recreated and has an interesting interface. It is not just violent and aggressive but does require thought and challenge as well as having good story lines.
  20. LeroyJ.
    May 22, 2007
    What is not to love? The graphics are excellent, the story enticing, and it is not WoW. Move over cartoons, the champ is here.
  21. JamesM
    May 7, 2007
    The best MMO I have ever played. The only thing that could in fact bring this down to 9.9 is the selection of bugs that are still included in the game. However, a new patch is due soon, so expectations are high. Perfect stories, perfect graphics, perfect quests and a helluva HUGE world. Above all, once you start playing.. you just CANNOT stop.
  22. JimH.
    Apr 20, 2007
    An excellent story-driven PvE-centric MMO with a multitude of varied and well written quests and a beautiful world to explore and adventure in. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty good; using elements that work from the genre pool of other classic MMOs, and then polishing it all to a fine sheen.
  23. BrandonM.
    Apr 25, 2007
    LOTR 'nuff said. Well not quite, it's also a solid MMO based on an accurate Middle Earth with the potential for many expansions.
    May 1, 2007
    Best MMORPG that I have ever played. I have played WOW for over 2 years and this is a breath of fresh air. Great graphics and game world. Game is built more around questing than grinding which really gives you a sense of being part of a real living world. Great game and look forward to playing it for a long time to come.
  25. IainC.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Middle Earth awaits, and it's beautiful, vibrant, exciting and full of all your favourite characters as well as a welcoming community of players.
  26. ScottNewbury
    Apr 20, 2007
    I have never actually purchased an MMORPG, but I have tested and downloaded several free trials. This game is a lot like World Of Warcraft, almost identical, actually. So, if WOW is the best, I guess it comes down to preference. Since I'm a big LOTR fan, I'd choose this one over WOW any day.
  27. Stuart
    Apr 23, 2007
    Absolutely fantastic so far. Has me completely hooked. The community seems to be great and mature at the moment.
  28. JackN.
    Apr 28, 2007
    It looks very well made. Marketing will play a huge role in the success and mainstream accessibility as well. Good luck to it. I played the beta for a week and thought there were some refreshing changes from the wow mantra, but only time will tell how the end game balancing holds up. BTW, why is the 'B' given by Gamerevolution cited as a 75? Is that an oversight or intentional? It looks very well made. Marketing will play a huge role in the success and mainstream accessibility as well. Good luck to it. I played the beta for a week and thought there were some refreshing changes from the wow mantra, but only time will tell how the end game balancing holds up. BTW, why is the 'B' given by Gamerevolution cited as a 75? Is that an oversight or intentional? [Ed: intentional - A = 100, F = 0, C = 50, B = 75, etc. - see metascores explained page for more info.] Expand
  29. LyleB.
    May 1, 2007
    I came doubting it would do the lore justice. I was wrong. From closed beta (I started in Feb) til now, I have been in gaming heaven. The stories and quests and the way they are tied together and told are convincing - best use of story in an MMO yet. The graphics are immersive and very pretty! And the Turbine team has launched a very polished game. Give it a shot eveb if you're not a I came doubting it would do the lore justice. I was wrong. From closed beta (I started in Feb) til now, I have been in gaming heaven. The stories and quests and the way they are tied together and told are convincing - best use of story in an MMO yet. The graphics are immersive and very pretty! And the Turbine team has launched a very polished game. Give it a shot eveb if you're not a Tolkien fan; and especially if you don't care for or have grown tired of other MMO's. I'm not sure how anybody can call this game a grind. I love it! It didn't get a ten from me because the crafting probably needs some tweaking (which I hear is coming). Expand
  30. HunterB.
    May 16, 2007
    I love how some of you are saying, "If you want a good MMO, play WoW". You guys do realize that this game is basically WoW, with more content, better visuals, a better title and deed system and a better story, right? Wise up - and don't let your fanboyism cloud the reality that this is an outstanding MMO, especially in groups.
  31. Dec 19, 2011
    I wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still aI wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still a very-good MMO. It receives constant updates and never feels "boring." Collapse

1. With Turbine's long-standing MMORPG expertise powering proceedings and one of the most welcoming communities in gaming, LOTRO presents a stunning and evocative world of Tolkien magic to explore - if you're any kind of fan, it would seem pretty much an essential purchase.
  2. It's absolutely no exaggeration to say that this is far and away the best game for anyone who hasn't played an MMOG before to cut their teeth on. Even more than the familiar universe, the excellent interface and gameplay design Turbine have crafted turn this into an experience which those who have previously avoided the lure of MMOs will find tough to resist.
  3. There's a lot of quests in the game. A lot. In the first ten to fifteen levels alone, you're likely to do 50-100 quests, if not much more. While the game seems to have only a small number of areas available at launch, each area is quite large, and there's a fair amount to do in each area as you progress to level 50.