8.1

1. NickJ
    Oct 30, 2009
    I have played several MMOs before: Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online...Hell, even RuneScape. I'd have to say that LotRO is my absolute favourite of all MMOs. It is streamlined, epic, and boasts an amazing amount of polish and balance. Not only that, but this is the original fantasy world, not some sort of D&D-ish knockoff. I think honestly, Tolkein would be proud at how I have played several MMOs before: Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online...Hell, even RuneScape. I'd have to say that LotRO is my absolute favourite of all MMOs. It is streamlined, epic, and boasts an amazing amount of polish and balance. Not only that, but this is the original fantasy world, not some sort of D&D-ish knockoff. I think honestly, Tolkein would be proud at how much they stuck to the books while giving everyone a lot of freedom to do whatever they wanted. But then again, I'm not a fanboy, so I'm sure someone will come along eventually and tell me everything that Turbine messed up. However, as far as I can tell, it's extraordinarily accurate, and a hell of a lot of fun. Try the trial, you won't be disappointed if you like MMOs. Expand
  2. JacobSivers
    Jun 21, 2007
    I am so far completely in love with this!
    One of many great things about this game is that you never run out of things to do. Almost every quest is a part of a quest line and it is all driven by one story or another. In my mind this is >the< wow killer. If you are tired of the imaturity of other MMOs (wow anyone) I say give it a go!
  3. DavidA.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Great game, I play WOW too, but I find LOTR Online just a little more realistic, not that I don't like WOW but if you want the original fantasy land and characters this is the game!
  4. DarylL.
    Sep 7, 2007
    The most appealing point to the game is the fact that it is Lord of the Rings! Fan of the books or the films there is no better experience than being able to part of the storyline and be in middle-earth. The game looks stunning, The Shire, Rivendell look just as you would imagine if not better.
  5. Daveydje
    Apr 25, 2007
    Pretty impressed so far. Very few glitches for a launch MMO, and very nice graphics and gameplay. Great intro into the game, and i don't mean an FMV sequence, and then your dumped in a start zone. I mean an intro sequence you can actually play through, and that draws you into the story. Yes, it has taken it's influence from many of the MMOs on the market, but it's been Pretty impressed so far. Very few glitches for a launch MMO, and very nice graphics and gameplay. Great intro into the game, and i don't mean an FMV sequence, and then your dumped in a start zone. I mean an intro sequence you can actually play through, and that draws you into the story. Yes, it has taken it's influence from many of the MMOs on the market, but it's been pulled together really well. Been playing since beta, and I'm really enjoying it. Expand
  6. MichaelS.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Large range of graphic settings, meaning that more people can play without upgrading their computer. Quests are worth more than killing mobs--instead of grinding and killing the same thing over and over again, you are running around grinding quests. A nice title system--fulfill certain requirements and you gain a title to show for it (I'm currently "the Slug-Squasher" for killing 30 Large range of graphic settings, meaning that more people can play without upgrading their computer. Quests are worth more than killing mobs--instead of grinding and killing the same thing over and over again, you are running around grinding quests. A nice title system--fulfill certain requirements and you gain a title to show for it (I'm currently "the Slug-Squasher" for killing 30 slugs--it's humorous). A few of the many improvements from WoW: You are able to dye your armor! No more wearing set pieces to avoid looking like a clown. Less "cartoony" looking. The healing class, the minstrel, is done very well. As a priest in WoW this was a breath of fresh air. This game will certainly tide me over until they finally decide to release WAR. Expand
  7. ScottA.
    Jul 24, 2007
    Wonderful fun, you don't grind XP but enjoy the stories in all the quests! It is Middle Earth and you are really there. They are very true to the lore in the books. Highly recommended.
  8. IanA.
    Aug 11, 2007
    You know, I thought I was bored of LOTR (read the books the first time in 3rd grade, and I think I fell asleep during the last movie the first time I saw it), turn based combat, fantasy settings, and more typical style MMO games... but somehow this game totally sucked me in. It's taken the best of each part and refined it to the point where you're actually having fun again. I You know, I thought I was bored of LOTR (read the books the first time in 3rd grade, and I think I fell asleep during the last movie the first time I saw it), turn based combat, fantasy settings, and more typical style MMO games... but somehow this game totally sucked me in. It's taken the best of each part and refined it to the point where you're actually having fun again. I had a week off from work so decided to try it out on a buddy pass, and was seriously having trouble dragging myself away. I spent the last day just exploring a much higher level area than I should be at because it's so beautiful. It was actually just as or more exciting avoiding the monsters and trying to find places to mine and sneaking around as trying to kill them. It's only been out for a short time and they've already added a full area. I can't wait till all of middle earth is included as exploring is one of the best parts of this game. The quests have much better stories than most MMO games, and I find myself actually reading the text instead of clicking past (I finally got sick of that and quit a couple other games). None of the quests are totally grinding, they've all got some kind of story, even if it's simple. Combat is pretty standard MMO fare, but the animations of the creatures are really quite good. Watch a warg walk, and shiver. Anyway, I recommend getting a buddy pass and checking it out. Expand
  9. markoasfikfh
    Feb 26, 2008
    I am a new one in MMO world, but this is GREAT! Excelent gameplay, beautiful world, various enemies, great story . . . , everething you need foor great fun! Maybe I can't be totaly objective becouse I am Tolkin fan, but I didn't regret for buying this game ( and it's for shure best ever LOTR game).
  10. JosephC.
    May 2, 2008
    I was skeptical at first, when i saw the game used at least 96% WoW UI and features. I played the trial to see how it was and it was 100% better than WoW. The players are on a much more mature level (there are a few annoying people on it though) where in WoW, its mostly 10-13 year olds. The crafting is much more organized and it is much more balanced class-wise, every class has a major I was skeptical at first, when i saw the game used at least 96% WoW UI and features. I played the trial to see how it was and it was 100% better than WoW. The players are on a much more mature level (there are a few annoying people on it though) where in WoW, its mostly 10-13 year olds. The crafting is much more organized and it is much more balanced class-wise, every class has a major weakness and strength. Races are much more detailed attribute-wise, such as men will have better "Fate" because of Tolkiens story-line, they will also have less "Will". The PvP is very disappointing, the map is very VERY large and it's fairly unorganized. There are less server selection which makes you be able to play with more players. The graphics are excellent but can get a little laggy in some places. Great game, if you wan't PvP/PvE play WoW, want PvE play LOTRO, want PvP play EVE-online. Expand
  11. GiancarloF.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Awesome game. It looks great, it's got enough content to keep you busy for ages, and the idea that the game will eventually be updated to include much of Middle-Earth makes me tingle in my special place. This game is a must for any Lord of the Rings fan.
  12. MatthewB.
    May 1, 2007
    Very much like WoW, although perhaps the graphics aren't as smooth. However it does have tons of atmosphere, and really interesting innovations. Killing a monster with a strum on your hobbit lute is something else.
  13. NigelM.
    May 1, 2007
    I have never experienced immersion so compelling. Good, like WoW, with some cool additions like "Deeds".
  14. AnonymousMC
    Dec 2, 2007
    Great game. If i had one complaint it would be that the first few levels are not much fun, which may put off some players. I wish you wouldn't have to run through a linear instance each time you created a new character. Otherwise the graphics, artistic design, gameplay, sound and music are all top notch. If you are sick of WoW give this game a try you may like it.
  15. Tim
    Apr 18, 2007
    I'd rate this a 10 if it were based only on how it compared to other MMOs on release day. This MMO has some moderate economic problems...but other then that this is the best looking MMO at release since World of Warcraft.
  16. ChrisU.
    Apr 29, 2007
    This game is high class and if you are a middle earth fan it is perfect.
  17. Pagancollective
    Apr 30, 2007
    Fun as hell. I've played all of the major MMOs and this one, just like the best of them (original EQ, WoW, etc.) has something special about it.
  18. CarlM.
    Apr 30, 2007
    I've played several MMO's over the year, but none grabbed me like this one did - Everquest? Stopped playing after a month. StarWars Galaxies? Two months. WoW? Didn't get past the free trial a friend gave me. Guild Wars? About 2 months. None of them had a strong sense of being a part of the world, nothing to compell me onwards. LotRO, although taking (necessary) some I've played several MMO's over the year, but none grabbed me like this one did - Everquest? Stopped playing after a month. StarWars Galaxies? Two months. WoW? Didn't get past the free trial a friend gave me. Guild Wars? About 2 months. None of them had a strong sense of being a part of the world, nothing to compell me onwards. LotRO, although taking (necessary) some artistic license with the source material, has that feeling I've found so lacking in other games. I've been playing, through beta, for longer than any other MMO I've tried, which says enough for me! Expand
  19. RikkiA.
    May 4, 2007
    As a female gamer( rare I know) I love this becuase it is beautifully recreated and has an interesting interface. It is not just violent and aggressive but does require thought and challenge as well as having good story lines.
  20. LeroyJ.
    May 22, 2007
    What is not to love? The graphics are excellent, the story enticing, and it is not WoW. Move over cartoons, the champ is here.
  21. JamesM
    May 7, 2007
    The best MMO I have ever played. The only thing that could in fact bring this down to 9.9 is the selection of bugs that are still included in the game. However, a new patch is due soon, so expectations are high. Perfect stories, perfect graphics, perfect quests and a helluva HUGE world. Above all, once you start playing.. you just CANNOT stop.
  22. JimH.
    Apr 20, 2007
    An excellent story-driven PvE-centric MMO with a multitude of varied and well written quests and a beautiful world to explore and adventure in. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's pretty good; using elements that work from the genre pool of other classic MMOs, and then polishing it all to a fine sheen.
  23. BrandonM.
    Apr 25, 2007
    LOTR 'nuff said. Well not quite, it's also a solid MMO based on an accurate Middle Earth with the potential for many expansions.
    May 1, 2007
    Best MMORPG that I have ever played. I have played WOW for over 2 years and this is a breath of fresh air. Great graphics and game world. Game is built more around questing than grinding which really gives you a sense of being part of a real living world. Great game and look forward to playing it for a long time to come.
  25. IainC.
    Jun 1, 2007
    Middle Earth awaits, and it's beautiful, vibrant, exciting and full of all your favourite characters as well as a welcoming community of players.
  26. ScottNewbury
    Apr 20, 2007
    I have never actually purchased an MMORPG, but I have tested and downloaded several free trials. This game is a lot like World Of Warcraft, almost identical, actually. So, if WOW is the best, I guess it comes down to preference. Since I'm a big LOTR fan, I'd choose this one over WOW any day.
  27. Stuart
    Apr 23, 2007
    Absolutely fantastic so far. Has me completely hooked. The community seems to be great and mature at the moment.
  28. JackN.
    Apr 28, 2007
    It looks very well made. Marketing will play a huge role in the success and mainstream accessibility as well. Good luck to it. I played the beta for a week and thought there were some refreshing changes from the wow mantra, but only time will tell how the end game balancing holds up. BTW, why is the 'B' given by Gamerevolution cited as a 75? Is that an oversight or intentional? It looks very well made. Marketing will play a huge role in the success and mainstream accessibility as well. Good luck to it. I played the beta for a week and thought there were some refreshing changes from the wow mantra, but only time will tell how the end game balancing holds up. BTW, why is the 'B' given by Gamerevolution cited as a 75? Is that an oversight or intentional? [Ed: intentional - A = 100, F = 0, C = 50, B = 75, etc. - see metascores explained page for more info.] Expand
  29. LyleB.
    May 1, 2007
    I came doubting it would do the lore justice. I was wrong. From closed beta (I started in Feb) til now, I have been in gaming heaven. The stories and quests and the way they are tied together and told are convincing - best use of story in an MMO yet. The graphics are immersive and very pretty! And the Turbine team has launched a very polished game. Give it a shot eveb if you're not a I came doubting it would do the lore justice. I was wrong. From closed beta (I started in Feb) til now, I have been in gaming heaven. The stories and quests and the way they are tied together and told are convincing - best use of story in an MMO yet. The graphics are immersive and very pretty! And the Turbine team has launched a very polished game. Give it a shot eveb if you're not a Tolkien fan; and especially if you don't care for or have grown tired of other MMO's. I'm not sure how anybody can call this game a grind. I love it! It didn't get a ten from me because the crafting probably needs some tweaking (which I hear is coming). Expand
  30. HunterB.
    May 16, 2007
    I love how some of you are saying, "If you want a good MMO, play WoW". You guys do realize that this game is basically WoW, with more content, better visuals, a better title and deed system and a better story, right? Wise up - and don't let your fanboyism cloud the reality that this is an outstanding MMO, especially in groups.
  31. EricC.
    May 19, 2007
    It's World of Warcraft... in the Lord of the RIngs universe... how is this not awesome? Hopefully the other races will get balanced (everyone complains how it's vastly more easy to be a hobbit than any of the more appealing races. Seriously, who wants to be a hobbit?). Also wish it had been made by EA, who owns the rights to the movie. Every video game the make based on the It's World of Warcraft... in the Lord of the RIngs universe... how is this not awesome? Hopefully the other races will get balanced (everyone complains how it's vastly more easy to be a hobbit than any of the more appealing races. Seriously, who wants to be a hobbit?). Also wish it had been made by EA, who owns the rights to the movie. Every video game the make based on the movie is golden, and if this game could have been like their upcoming Warhammer? Incredible. Just too bad it'll never happen. Expand
  32. Jhen
    May 2, 2007
    I would give this game a 20 if I could. Beautiful graphics, no lagging or stuttering for me even in crowded areas. (Unlike Vanguard where I would CTD if I were in a major town) True to the lore of Tolkien. Well balanced classes, an interesting Traits/Deeds system, interesting questlines, and great rewards at the end of said questlines. All in all? A+++++
  33. PhillipS.
    May 2, 2007
    I love this game for how accesible and fun it is to play, as well as how passionately the source material was used to create it, and just to put it simply its a game about LOTR and its done exceedingly right, if you like WoW but are burnt out with it, you will find a familiar feel(ideas from past MMOs but done better or the same), but with a new fascinating world to explore and a few new I love this game for how accesible and fun it is to play, as well as how passionately the source material was used to create it, and just to put it simply its a game about LOTR and its done exceedingly right, if you like WoW but are burnt out with it, you will find a familiar feel(ideas from past MMOs but done better or the same), but with a new fascinating world to explore and a few new tricks that you've never seen in an MMO before. Expand
  34. BrentonW.
    Apr 22, 2007
    This game managed to keep me entertained with a variety of quests with the Lord of The Rings theme.
  35. Gabriel
    Apr 23, 2007
    Fabulously done game. Graphics are great, stays very true to Tolkien lore, sound is just fabulous. Lastly, the game is just fun and easy to get into.
  36. BivitarH.
    Apr 25, 2007
    Smooth launch, great details, balanced for the hard-core and casual players. Monster play is a blast! I can't wait to see how the game world expands over the years.
  37. CharlesF.
    Apr 28, 2007
    I give this game a 10 for what it is (new, fresh, original yet true to the books) and for what it is not ( World of Warcraft ) ..... While it is still grubbing for money with a $15 per month online fee it does offer some fresh ideas and graphics which is more than I can say for the Burning Crusade expansion for WOW.
  38. Sep 17, 2011
    A solid MMORPG with great graphics, excellent quest system, and a solid UI. Free to play is great along with the other subscription models to chose from. The lore from Lord of the Rings is an extra bonus.
  39. Aug 15, 2011
    LOTRO is probably one of the best MMORPGs out there that I have played, you CAN pay but if you don't you can still get the meat of the game. Imagine World of Warcraft but free, the community is MUCH better, storyline that ties into the books/movies, and the classes are more flushed out then in WoW. However with that said the game is not perfect. I have had many glitches where the musicLOTRO is probably one of the best MMORPGs out there that I have played, you CAN pay but if you don't you can still get the meat of the game. Imagine World of Warcraft but free, the community is MUCH better, storyline that ties into the books/movies, and the classes are more flushed out then in WoW. However with that said the game is not perfect. I have had many glitches where the music would stop and all I would hear are the ambient noises. The roleplaying community is really nice (if you are interested) and the game is very much alive. I went in to LOTRO not planning on spending ANY money on it and so far I've put over 60$ on the game (including the new expansion about to come out) Expand
  40. Dec 19, 2011
    I wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still aI wish I could give it a 93; because if I could, I would. The game has very good graphics, an amazing soundtrack, and an awesome world to explore. However, it loses 1 point due to occasional bugs, and an annoying pay-for-everything online store that I feel makes the point of playing the game much less rewarding. I, being of a long MMO fan (runescape, etc), feel as though it is still a very-good MMO. It receives constant updates and never feels "boring." Expand
  41. Nov 30, 2013
    I really liked this game, well maybe i didn't like some mechanics but it was super fun overall. I think it's an mmo a lot of people can play without being completely devoted to it.
  42. Sep 22, 2010
    Lotro has the potential to surpass World of Warcraft in popularity, 'cause it's now free to play. When comes to quality, Lotro just barely misses WoW. I have to say, I am hooked.However, I would like to criticize travel time. I keep finding myself annoyed by having to go here and there to get this and that, train this or that, or kill this and that. Then again, aren't they all like that?
  43. LinneusA.
    Apr 10, 2009
    I have been with this game since the first beta and it has never given me any reason to quit. The content is amazing, the graphics are second to none (my huge supply of screenshots will testify to that) and the community is helpful, friendly and mature in most ways. The game is stable, updated with free content regularly and follows as close as possible the beloved world created by I have been with this game since the first beta and it has never given me any reason to quit. The content is amazing, the graphics are second to none (my huge supply of screenshots will testify to that) and the community is helpful, friendly and mature in most ways. The game is stable, updated with free content regularly and follows as close as possible the beloved world created by Tolkien from my earliest readings as a child. I can't see myself leaving this MMO any time soon. Expand
  44. dean
    Nov 24, 2008
    Awesome, lord of the rings-online- what more can you ask for, its a crsoo between guildwars and wow, not taking itself too serious in raiding whilst keeping an rpg feel reg questing, the community is not childish like wow and the graphics are cool, if you got a decent spec pc pvp isnt the best but im not a fan of that i prefer p v e myself if you wanna raid all day pick wow if you dont Awesome, lord of the rings-online- what more can you ask for, its a crsoo between guildwars and wow, not taking itself too serious in raiding whilst keeping an rpg feel reg questing, the community is not childish like wow and the graphics are cool, if you got a decent spec pc pvp isnt the best but im not a fan of that i prefer p v e myself if you wanna raid all day pick wow if you dont then its an essential purchase, the crafting is cool too, the fact that you can craft items nearly on par with raid reward items- overall if you dont have a decent pc, are less mature than a 2 year old and like raiding 24/7 pick wow- however if youve got more taste then pick this wow beater. Expand
  45. Dec 28, 2010
    You could sum this all up why saying, Yes this does the the content/community/design to compete...and beat WoW. Complete with Beautiful environments, and it sticks to the lore. Zones feel more like actual worlds to explore and adventure in, rather than something to swing by in to get a explorer achievment. My only complaint is that it is a tad lacking on PvP, or PvMP as it is called.You could sum this all up why saying, Yes this does the the content/community/design to compete...and beat WoW. Complete with Beautiful environments, and it sticks to the lore. Zones feel more like actual worlds to explore and adventure in, rather than something to swing by in to get a explorer achievment. My only complaint is that it is a tad lacking on PvP, or PvMP as it is called. Other than that...whats not to like? Expand
  46. May 2, 2011
    2007-2009 this game was a solid 8-9 rating. Great RPG, great story telling, really good Middle Earth lore, frequent updates and expansion. Then they converted the game to a free to play model. Sure they may be making more money but...very little content since Siege of Mirkwood. No expansion for 2 years. Every activity in the game now funnels you in to their micro transaction store.2007-2009 this game was a solid 8-9 rating. Great RPG, great story telling, really good Middle Earth lore, frequent updates and expansion. Then they converted the game to a free to play model. Sure they may be making more money but...very little content since Siege of Mirkwood. No expansion for 2 years. Every activity in the game now funnels you in to their micro transaction store. This mmo WAS a great gamers game, not it's a cash cow for Turbine and is no longer a gamers game (if that makes any sense to you gamers out there). Collapse
  47. Aug 17, 2012
    Extreme good and bad points. Very good graphics, very good gameplay, very unimaginative quests making the game tedious, very annoying intrusive way of trying to get you to spend real money all the time to speed up progress which is very slow. It reminds me of Guild Wars but somehow doesn't give quite the same feeling of really being there, it's more of a grind and less emotionally engaging.
  48. Aug 21, 2012
    The game is only free to play until level 25 then you must pay for almost everything you want to do, monthly fee plus expansions make this game quite expensive in the long run. You are "allowed" to pursue your epic story line with the only "reward" being you are allowed to view more of the storyline. I've read the books and seen the movies so nothing new in pursuing the epic story line.
  49. EasterlingB.
    May 4, 2007
    Boring. Go here, get this, fight that, come back...level up...wash and repeat. The fighting was built for people that find tic-tac-toe too fast and twitchy. Here's a strategy for ya all: click on the special moves repeatedly until the other creature is dead, don't fight more than two things at a time, and don't fight anything too powerful. There ya go, you've won the Boring. Go here, get this, fight that, come back...level up...wash and repeat. The fighting was built for people that find tic-tac-toe too fast and twitchy. Here's a strategy for ya all: click on the special moves repeatedly until the other creature is dead, don't fight more than two things at a time, and don't fight anything too powerful. There ya go, you've won the game and can be a level 4000 hobbit! This is Tolkien's mythic world in all its glory? Tolkien would probably be aghast at all the people throwing precious hours of their lives away clicking repeatedly on a mouse like an enslaved orc pushing the water wheel. Just so they can do make a number go up...this game needs more adventure, inspiration and stimulation. I see a lot of Deer Hunter and Bejeweled people liking the pace of this game. Expand
  50. AllenJ.
    May 3, 2007
    I was in the beta for this I like turbine I think they are some decent folks that have been kicked in the teeth several times for trying to innovate. So they learned there lesson this time and just copied the Ultima Online/Everquest/World of Warcraft grindtastic MMOs. That makes me sad. It's not a bad game in fact it is very good for what it is but it's not at all original or I was in the beta for this I like turbine I think they are some decent folks that have been kicked in the teeth several times for trying to innovate. So they learned there lesson this time and just copied the Ultima Online/Everquest/World of Warcraft grindtastic MMOs. That makes me sad. It's not a bad game in fact it is very good for what it is but it's not at all original or jump for joy fun it's just another boring grind. (job posing as game)Play it if you are a power gaming stats whore in need another graphical MUD grind fix. If you want fun look elsewhere. Expand
  51. PipeweedR.
    Apr 27, 2007
    As always I'm amazed how easily 10's are posted on this board. Pluses: Exploring is a blast because of the nice graphics-not revolutionary-but nice enough to allow immersion into the game. Solid bug free game play. The Tokien feel comes through (to a point). The people playing are mainly behaving as adults. There is a lot to do and fight. Love the quest rings over NPCs. Minuses: As always I'm amazed how easily 10's are posted on this board. Pluses: Exploring is a blast because of the nice graphics-not revolutionary-but nice enough to allow immersion into the game. Solid bug free game play. The Tokien feel comes through (to a point). The people playing are mainly behaving as adults. There is a lot to do and fight. Love the quest rings over NPCs. Minuses: Tedious at times. Character creation is uninspired-not bad-just familiar. Combat is a snoozefest at times, there is little threat of dying, not much strategy except click-wait-click. The feeling that you are in a Tolkien world disappears at times as there seems to be an emptyness between you and the NPCs, monsters, and other players...it just comes off as stale and stiff. The books to me were about brutal fights, camaraderie and wonder, that isn't always there. I'm not sure what the "hype" is about the introductory learning to play adventure...once you've done it-you've done it, the game seems to lack that pacing afterwards. DDO players will find it slower, ex-WOW may find it too similar, but people that like a slower pace and can only play under 10 hours a week might find it perfect. It doesn't hold my interest for more than hour before I yearn for a pint at my real world Green Dragon. Expand
  52. Jul 18, 2012
    A generally average game overall. Through years 2007-2009 the game saw expert expansions and care for the player base. When the game went free-to-play and were acquired by Warner Brothers, Turbine began to care less about the player base. It is now a free game, but if you want to really play this game easily without spending any money, it will take a very long time.
  53. MartyW.
    May 18, 2007
    Excellent Game! A must for Tolkien and MMO fans.
  54. DaveR.
    May 22, 2007
    Incredibly boring snorfest. The battle system sorely needed to take after the Oblivion model. This is not groundbreaking in any sense of the word. It simply emulates the many already successful MMO's on the market. In my opinion, Oblivion blows this game away.
  55. Sep 27, 2014
    It was once a good game (around 2010). However, Turbine has not upgraded the graphics/gameplay in years.

The f2p model has dragged this game to 100% mictro-transactions. You will be nickeled and dimed at every turn. The servers are now all dying, and the very few players left and transferring to the last servers with still a population. WB Games chocked its player base to leaving via

The servers are now all dying, and the very few players left and transferring to the last servers with still a population. WB Games chocked its player base to leaving via lack of upgrades and an extremely expensive/aggressive store.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
  56. ShawnW.
    May 1, 2007
    The game has great graphics, but felt way too slow for my taste.
  57. JoshR.
    Apr 30, 2007
    I've read reviews from other people on this page, calling it "fresh" and "original" and it having "new ideas". Ok, then, why does it feel like a complete rip off (albeit a bad one) of World of Warcraft? Don't waste your time with this pathetic heap of garbage.
  58. TonyB.
    May 3, 2007
    This game is designed for mass market appeal, average graphics designed to run on low end hardware, tried but tired wow/everquest type gameplay, just copy the competition and bring in the masses. I agree Turbine tried to inivate with D&D online and the sales were hurt because of this, waiting for Conan/Warhammer.
  59. Ray
    Nov 28, 2006
    I'm not sure what I was expecting from this expansion. I guess more variety in units or more inspired missions, but I just find ROTWK expansion to be downright dull and boring. Just feels like the same rehash like BFME 2. I guess an expansion can't always fixed the problems of the original. Sigh...
  60. TonyR.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Forget about this game if you live in any remote region. I rely on satellite connections for my Internet and the lag made it very jerky..I'm guessing the movement communication to the server works differently than in WoW as it is always very smooth. Random flaky sound crap outs...I'm less than an hour in and I'm already bored with the combat system and annoyed at the text Forget about this game if you live in any remote region. I rely on satellite connections for my Internet and the lag made it very jerky..I'm guessing the movement communication to the server works differently than in WoW as it is always very smooth. Random flaky sound crap outs...I'm less than an hour in and I'm already bored with the combat system and annoyed at the text that is too small to read on my television if I place this on my HTPC....I could go on but I think you get the point I was looking for something to move on from WoW to...this just aint it. Expand
  61. MariusF.
    Apr 23, 2007
    Recipe for an unbearable game? Take one over-saturated fantasy franchise and whisk it with staid MMORPG mechanics. Level treadmill for countless hours, and serve with liberal sprinklings of regret at having wasting your life on mind-rotting garbage like this.
  62. JacobS.
    Jun 10, 2007
    Lacks the UI flexibility of more mature games. The starting zones are very polished but does the game have the longevity of a real MMOrpg? The game would perhaps gain more users if trail accounts where available.
  63. GhastMaster
    Apr 21, 2007
    I played the open beta. It seemed just like WoW. I've never played WOW. I don't like monsters with circles around them. Nor do I like pushing one button to attack and not having to push it again until the next monster comes up. mmorpg's really need to get better soon.
  64. RandyM.
    Apr 28, 2007
    Broken. Utterly broken. I found no joy playing this game. It's simply grind, then grind some more. What next? Oh, more grinding? Dang. An utterly terrible MMO. You want a good MMO? Go play a little game called World of Warcraft. LOTRO was complete trash.
  65. CarlK.
    Jun 25, 2007
    While its is a wonderful looking game and more quests to do than you can shake a stick at it lacks the multiplayer interface that many more games of equal graphics provide. Dont think it will make the long run with huge numbers. Though some people like to just quest and craft 24/7 then this one is for u!
  66. Sep 21, 2011
    Really fun and great game for it's time, but later during development it seems like the game developers are more focused on adding new content then fixing the existing problems. But, at least its free to play now.
  67. Jun 12, 2012
    The game was fun at launch, many years ago. Now its outdated and I just don't feel like grinding for 200 hours to max level. This is one of the worse MMOs for grinding out quests to gain levels. I love middle earth as much as the next guy but turbine didn't do middle earth or the lore of the rings series complete justice with this game. It lacks solid PVP, it lacks end game, its just aThe game was fun at launch, many years ago. Now its outdated and I just don't feel like grinding for 200 hours to max level. This is one of the worse MMOs for grinding out quests to gain levels. I love middle earth as much as the next guy but turbine didn't do middle earth or the lore of the rings series complete justice with this game. It lacks solid PVP, it lacks end game, its just a game dedicated for those few that love middle earth, and those that love grinding out quests in groups. Expand
  68. Jan 6, 2014
    If you like loot, this game is for you.
    If you played D2, this game is for you.
    If you like unique builds, this game is for you.

Truly F2P, truly amazing. Best game of the last 10 years for me.
  69. Mar 30, 2014
    This is a very fun game with hours of time. The quests are really well written and it has good graphics. It is also a great representation of Middle Earth. The only thing that I would change is for the world to be less static ie. the monsters attack camps etc
  70. SteveK.
    Apr 18, 2007
    Though largely derivative of WoW in terms of gameplay and interface (which is ironic because WoW is so largely derivative of Tolkein's world.... more than ironic, it's almost poetic. And well, WoW is just an amalgamation of every other mmorpg just done that much better), it features stunning scenery (provided your PC can handle it... read the minimum requirements before you Though largely derivative of WoW in terms of gameplay and interface (which is ironic because WoW is so largely derivative of Tolkein's world.... more than ironic, it's almost poetic. And well, WoW is just an amalgamation of every other mmorpg just done that much better), it features stunning scenery (provided your PC can handle it... read the minimum requirements before you play), copious quests to keep you playing, an ingenious deed system, a great crafting system, and an immersive central plot centered around Tolkein's all ready immersive world. And just overall, it feels like less of a run-around than WoW, less exploitative of my time. The character graphics in terms of armor and gear are a little on the weak side, and the soundtrack is less than epic, it feels like I've been permanently banished to a Rennaisance festival. And say what you will about faithfulness to Tolkein's world, but the lack of a true magic class makes combat a little 2-D. Why do I feel like the world is comprised 80% of champions and hunters? Still though, this is a great game, one which I will gladly play over WoW. Expand
  71. Nov 23, 2012
    BEST MMO IN HISTORY. WoW is very, very good. Rift is also very good. GW1 and GW2 both very good. Everquest 1 and 2 are pretty good and so on and on. LOTRO on the other hand is exceptional. It has a certain quality that ALL the others lack. For me, it is by far the most immersive MMO I've experienced which just keeps growing. The sound, graphic style, the mounts, the lore, theBEST MMO IN HISTORY. WoW is very, very good. Rift is also very good. GW1 and GW2 both very good. Everquest 1 and 2 are pretty good and so on and on. LOTRO on the other hand is exceptional. It has a certain quality that ALL the others lack. For me, it is by far the most immersive MMO I've experienced which just keeps growing. The sound, graphic style, the mounts, the lore, the environments are as good as it gets. It's hard to find fault with LOTRO and why I feel it deserves a perfect 10. From a gaming perspective, I can't see how they could improve it??? Even with all the big guns of our modern times (TOR and GW2), they should have used LOTRO as a template and bettered it. Instead, they created a fancier graphics, poor mans replacement. Tut tut for all that money wasted. Oh, LOTRO is FREE TO PLAY!!! Go download now and enjoy. Bye. Expand
  72. Aug 3, 2012
    On initial play, I gave this a 9/10 (having bought the Steam starter pack, which includes a horse and 3 quest packs). For $15 (on sale then), it was such great value for money. Loads of fun time played, hours and hours in fact, and made it to about level 40+ easy enough. At this stage, I've no problem with the need to buy new quest packs, nothing is entirely free, but it is also at thisOn initial play, I gave this a 9/10 (having bought the Steam starter pack, which includes a horse and 3 quest packs). For $15 (on sale then), it was such great value for money. Loads of fun time played, hours and hours in fact, and made it to about level 40+ easy enough. At this stage, I've no problem with the need to buy new quest packs, nothing is entirely free, but it is also at this stage I begin to pull pack from the high rating. First, the pros, some areas are really great (Evendim especially, and I hear Lothlorien is but not been there yet), lovely music, lovely storyline, helpful community, and if you get into a good kin, that's very good. But cons do appear later on, some areas are not interesting at all but you need to play them to level up (-1), there gets a stage where it really turns into a grind (repetitive tasks) to level up so as to continue the story (-1), and Turbine could be more generous with swift-travel (instant A-to-B travel), without which you're less inclined to try new areas(-1). This is the only MMO I've played, so I cannot compare, but for me, so far worth the money, but will probably only ever be a casual game (10 hours a month play), and will probably buy quest packs to continue on in that casual sense. I'd recommend it for those also looking for the more casual, friendly, and storyline MMO's, not to be taken too seriously, but definitely fun. (as an aside, it would be interesting in seeing a single-player game that lives in the same world, can run through epic quests directly one after the other, can chat with others but no fellowships required, and is pure storyline based. I say this because at times I do really like spending time inside the world, but having to wait to get fellowship help from kins or friends can be annoying when playing at off/quiet server times). Expand
  73. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is 50% there. The good parts come first. Lets start with the gameplay. The items are okay, the armor looks really nice. Its nice to meet up with aragorn and a few other characters. I started to have second thoughts about this after a few long quests. Its fun, but pretty boring. A real RPG nerd would love this though. Bad parts are the fact that they act like they need 1,0000000This game is 50% there. The good parts come first. Lets start with the gameplay. The items are okay, the armor looks really nice. Its nice to meet up with aragorn and a few other characters. I started to have second thoughts about this after a few long quests. Its fun, but pretty boring. A real RPG nerd would love this though. Bad parts are the fact that they act like they need 1,0000000 dollars a year so everywhere, there is ads for their items. You get ads by turbine on all loading screens, every time you go to a shop and pretty much everywhere else. The shop has everything and about 500 expansions that cost real money. They have 100 dollar booster packs that have expansions and about everything else. The expansions do look fun, and I may add to this review if I ever buy one. Expand
  74. Jul 17, 2012
    I've played this game recently and lets first say that it is mega addictive and there is always something to do and look forward to each level you gain.
    The graphics are pretty great, very wide variety of options and the maps are outstanding. Like 'The Shire' in LOTRO is amazing and just looks extraordinary. The game play is also quite great, the combat is slow yet you can't expect a whole lot of fast paced action in Lord of the rings can you?
    However, there is one downside to the game that after lvl 30-35 you dont get free to play maps anymore. And you must either pay real cash or gain lots of TP (Turbine Points) (In-game store) to keep on playing.
    Which is a little expensive but really its worth it.
    + Great crafting system and the community is always willing to help newbies etc.
    Definitely something to check out
  75. Jul 27, 2012
    I am really not sure where that Thradar fellow is getting his information, but Lord of the Rings Online has been constantly updating, especially since Siege of Mirkwood, and I'm not talking tweaking what's already there. Since SoM, there's been Enedwaith, Rise of Isengard and the Great River as major areas, as well as the aformentioned tweaking. They've updated a lot of the art andI am really not sure where that Thradar fellow is getting his information, but Lord of the Rings Online has been constantly updating, especially since Siege of Mirkwood, and I'm not talking tweaking what's already there. Since SoM, there's been Enedwaith, Rise of Isengard and the Great River as major areas, as well as the aformentioned tweaking. They've updated a lot of the art and presentation, giving a more immersive experience to the areas. Dunland feels like Dunland, which feels just a little different than Enedwaith, even though they're technically the same area on the map of Middle-Earth.

They've added several instances, across the board, as well as for end-game experiences. And they're the only game experience I've had so far where I'm still unfolding an epic storyline at level cap! Come Septenmber 5th: mounted combat and the Riders of Rohan expansion! Hope to see you there!
  76. Nov 19, 2012
    Lord of the Rings Online is a basically a World of Warcraft clone. I'm sorry to say this, It makes my tongue dripping with bile, but I can only draw this conclusion. Unless you have a job and can purchase the other 90% and more of the actual gaming content, you won't have a great time. To be honest, this game doesn't have much different from other MMOs. The only thing that stands out isLord of the Rings Online is a basically a World of Warcraft clone. I'm sorry to say this, It makes my tongue dripping with bile, but I can only draw this conclusion. Unless you have a job and can purchase the other 90% and more of the actual gaming content, you won't have a great time. To be honest, this game doesn't have much different from other MMOs. The only thing that stands out is that it takes place in Middle-Earth. If you're a Lord of the Rings Nerd like me, you would keep playing because the game will give you several nerdgasms and force you to geek all over the floor. This is probably why the game is still healthy. Most of the player-base are huge Lord of the Rings fans since the 20th century and are adults by now. Meaning they enjoy this game, because they can support the content.
    For a casual gamer who has never heard of Lord of the Rings. This is going to be a waste of time or a nice trip that takes up a month of your time in the F2P zone, depending on how you interpret it. The highest I got to is my level 32 Human Captain. Afterwards, I was just bored because sure you can do the main storyline quests. However, I keep dying because my Captain is under-leveled and sometimes the LOTR community is a bunch of elitist **** who hate younger players. So after level 30 or so, it's just a bother to continue playing.
    I'd like to give this game an seven because of how beautiful the game's story is laid out. However, what matters is the gameplay. Did I have fun? Kind of. Will the majority of the gamers have fun? Probably not. So take this if you have random spasms of nostalgia, if not, probably should get into Lord of the Rings first.
  77. Dec 1, 2012
    This definitely has the potential to surpass WoW! I love the game-play, though I do have to say travel time (even on horses) is a problem. But what's a problem like that next to how good this COMPLETELY FREE game is?!
  78. Jul 27, 2014
    LOTRO is at its core a WoW clone. However, unlike Rift it does not copy and perfect but instead just createa a cheap copy that doesn't feel as good. This doesn't mean its a bad game however, and it does show real promise.

PvP PvP in LOTRO is very basic, one big map, one game mode... that's it. Despite this simplicity however the PvP experience is a fairly solid one and one which

PvP

PvP in LOTRO is very basic, one big map, one game mode... that's it. Despite this simplicity however the PvP experience is a fairly solid one and one which keeps people coming back.

PvE

I found the PvE really enjoyable. It has a good balance and therefore doesn't feel too easy, a problem which a lot of MMOs are effected with. This balance helps too make questing a lot more fun.

Quests

The quests are overall disappointing, they're no where near as good has they should have been. A lot of quests will tell you to go somewhere and complete an objective, you get back after doing the task and it will tell you to go back and complete another objective in the same place, it leaves me thinking why didn't you just give me both quests at the same time, it is this bad quest design which really holds with game back. Another problem with quest is the large amount of group quests, these occur normally at the end of a story line, now there are a number of problems with this, 1. Not everyone has friends to play with all the time and not all zones have enough people playing to group up with someone else, 2. Due to the fact you can't complete the quest you're missing out on the end of the quest line and therefore the story, 3. these quests are also meant to take players to new quest hubs but because you can't complete them it leaves player lost wondering what to do next.

Lore/ world design

This is Tolkien's world and this is Tolkien's lore, and Turbine have done a good good at recreating it within an MMO.

Combat

Combat is a bit clucky but overall it is fairly descent just not as good as some other MMOs.

Crafting

The crafting system is below par for me, it's dull and just overall boring to engage with.

Optimization

It's very good considering the look of the game, this is one of the games strongest points.

Graphics

The landscapes are very good, the art style is nice however, the human architecture is just awful and you can also tell that the Turbine team were sticking to a budget.
  79. Jul 21, 2013
    This game looks amazing, the sound is excellent and despite the oh so WOW safe and proven formula, it isnt a WOW copy and theres enough differences to notice it. And Radagast is awesome.
  80. Jul 29, 2013
    I like this game a lot, not too easy, not too hard. The zones are reproduced very accurately and the class's feel good to me. Overall I like this game.
  81. Nov 23, 2013
    I would have given Lord of the Rings online an 8 or 9 back in 2007 at launch or up to 2 years after it. But time has changed as did Lord of the Rings online, so I will comment on how the game is now.

Lord of the Rings online is almost a MUST PLAY for every Tolkien fan. The developer always works close with the Middle-Earth Enterprise (the license holder of Tolkiens legacy) to make sure that the game is very close to the lore. A lore that's one of the most richest ones in the whole Fantasy genre.

The game world is very well done and gives you a very good feeling of how Tolkien meant Middle-Earth to be. Weather you visit Bree to take a drink at the Prancing Pony, take a stroll across Rivendell or walk through the Mines of Moria, the world feels quite real.

One of the best features of Lord of the Rings online is the epic story. At the start of the game your character is about 3 months behind the Fellowship. While playing through the 'original' game (the one that was released in 2007), you'll stay behind the Fellowship, only to catch up with them in Rivendell at some time.
    The epic story does not tell the story of the Fellowship or your character though. Instead it tells a story of what's happening all around Middle-Earth and reveals things that are not written in the book.

Game play though is an other thing (and why I'm giving it a 7 now). For a MMORPG there's very little player interaction in the lower levels. Mainly the last 2 expansions (Riders of Rohan and Helm's Deep as of this writing) are the places where you need to party to get your progress in the epic story. In the 'older' expansions the game has been modified so that you can actually play the old party content all alone, which I think is a sad thing.

In all, I think Lord of the Rings online is still a very good MMORPG for it's age and I hope that Turbine will be able to extend it's license (about to expire in 2014 and no word about it so far) so that we can play the game for an other 5 years.
  82. Dec 8, 2013
    Finally....an MMO set in Tolkien's world. Loved exploring the Shire, the Old Forest, Bree, Rivendell. Great music. Fantastic sights and sounds. The darkness of Angmar was great. The RIFT raid was epic. At the start, the 'housing neighborhoods' were wonderful (sadly, Turbine did nothing to update this aspect of the game in later years). Exceptional work and something I'd highlyFinally....an MMO set in Tolkien's world. Loved exploring the Shire, the Old Forest, Bree, Rivendell. Great music. Fantastic sights and sounds. The darkness of Angmar was great. The RIFT raid was epic. At the start, the 'housing neighborhoods' were wonderful (sadly, Turbine did nothing to update this aspect of the game in later years). Exceptional work and something I'd highly recommend for any gamer who liked reading or watching The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Expand
  83. Oct 10, 2014
    This game is great way to die from boredom, if that's what you're looking for. Just because it's free to play doesn't mean you have to play it, I much prefer paying Blizzard for WoW as it is much more entertaining than LOTR:Online.
  84. Jan 14, 2015
    Si si un juego estupendo, me gusta mucho en muchos sentidos para empezar sobre todo que esta ambientado en el mundo de el Señor de los Anillos, la jugabilidad es aceptable y hay buena variedad de clases pero... NO ESTÁ EN ESPAÑOL y con esto en algunas partes sobre todo en la historia, el juego se va a la puta mierda y termina convirtiéndose en un chiste donde solo importa darle clicks aSi si un juego estupendo, me gusta mucho en muchos sentidos para empezar sobre todo que esta ambientado en el mundo de el Señor de los Anillos, la jugabilidad es aceptable y hay buena variedad de clases pero... NO ESTÁ EN ESPAÑOL y con esto en algunas partes sobre todo en la historia, el juego se va a la puta mierda y termina convirtiéndose en un chiste donde solo importa darle clicks a bichitos hasta que la barra de vida se les agota. Por favor traduzcan al español ya este juegazo por favor que ya va siendo hora. Expand
  85. Apr 27, 2015
    Herr der Ringe ist auch im Jahr 2015 eines der schönsten und größten MMOS auf dem Markt. Man hat so viel zu tun. Das alles hier auf zu listen, dazu würden die 5000 Zeichen nicht reichen. Gebt diesem Game eine Chance und last euch verzaubern von diesem wunderschönen MMO.
  86. May 2, 2011

1. With Turbine's long-standing MMORPG expertise powering proceedings and one of the most welcoming communities in gaming, LOTRO presents a stunning and evocative world of Tolkien magic to explore - if you're any kind of fan, it would seem pretty much an essential purchase.
  2. It's absolutely no exaggeration to say that this is far and away the best game for anyone who hasn't played an MMOG before to cut their teeth on. Even more than the familiar universe, the excellent interface and gameplay design Turbine have crafted turn this into an experience which those who have previously avoided the lure of MMOs will find tough to resist.
  3. There's a lot of quests in the game. A lot. In the first ten to fifteen levels alone, you're likely to do 50-100 quests, if not much more. While the game seems to have only a small number of areas available at launch, each area is quite large, and there's a fair amount to do in each area as you progress to level 50.