7.0

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Snowblind studios built it's name on console action RPG's. They haven't wandered from that path. They've left their mark on the gaming industry. Kudos to you Snowblind, this really is a nice gem. War in the North brings a 3 person co-op style of gameplay. The players have a choice between three different characters. Each with three skill trees and a multiple number of abilities. All three characters can either go melee or ranged during combat. Primarily there's two basic defensive moves, block and dodge. There's other abilities that can further defense. The games merits rely on the charming Tolkien lore which only enhances a unique and plausible storyline. Warner Brother's has really done a excellent job with expanding Tolkien's universe in various media outlets. Artwork is amazing, the plain fluid motion of the camera is flawless. Middle-Earth is painted with a darker brush, there's a gritty and grainy feel to the game. My only peeve with the game is that the two hardest difficulty settings aren't unlocked until completion of a play-through.

Snowblind studios delivered easily a worthy pickup both on consoles and PC. 8/10
  2. Nov 5, 2011
    A console port, again. A hack and slash, again. Lord of the rings, again. Boring gameplay, weak story, mediocre controlling, ugly graphics. This game is weak, in every aspect. If I haven't know about the methods which publishers use to achieve high scores for their products, I would wonder how this p.o.s. could get so much high votes.
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    I have been playing this game for longer than I played Skyrim so there's a shocker for you. Whats good? The voice acting The storyline is cool. The characters are lovely and I enjoyed meeting and chatting to them all. The locations, graphics. The battles, I like the simple skills and the easy key mapping. I can manage my weapons well. I love the armours. I love the mirror you can change your hairstyle and face features etc whenver you like.
    Simple potion making and upgrading armours is nice.

The Not so good
    The check point system, no way to load a previous save, ridiculous.
    The normal setting was way too hard for me, I was only ever able to play at easy level.
    Would prefer more inventory for potions and stones etc.

It is a very linear game that closely follows the story, there are a few incidental side quests but for sure you will be caught up with the story, at least I was. I played all the other LOTR games and this is a great effort. Not up to Biowares standards but still a nice way to spend some time.
    But dont buy this game unless you can deal with the restrictions I mentioned and you dont mind a very linear game.

The world itself is very pretty and pleasing. :)
  4. Nov 8, 2011
    The game has zero character customization, utter linear story, ugly graphics (the engine must be at least 5 years old), boring combat. Raping of the orcs and goblins heads was fun though, for a while at least. The story is boring, it does not motivates you to play through the game. The fellowship members can't fight, leaving the 95% of enemies for you to kill. It is not epic to see them struggle with only one piece of goblin. All in all, I had hoped for a better game. There have not been any decent LoTR games recently, I hope that this will change in the near future. Expand
  5. rpm
    Apr 16, 2012
    I have to say that I don't think some of these reviewers even played this game. To say that the graphics suck or that they look like PS2 or they are 5 years old?...that is ridiculous. I am about half way through this game and while there are aspects I am not crazy about I am having a very enjoyable time.

1. Graphics - These are fantastic! In between battles I find myself just looking
    around at the beautiful elven gardens, snowy crags of mountaintops, creepy forest tangles, or the many other gorgeous environments in this game. My wife is playing the new Star Wars online and her game looks like a cartoon compared to this game. 9/10

2. Story - I find it very enjoyable to have the story and characters from LotR existing alongside and at times intertwining with this game's story. I don't really care to replay the books or the movies, so playing this "side story" is perfect. I feel like I am contributing in a major way to the fight against Sauron, but not replaying a known story. This gives it some gravity and some mystery at the same time. 8/10

3. Gameplay/RPG Elements - While not as complex and thorough as many RPGs I've played, there is enough to do when leveling up to customize your player character. You add to the usual stats and then get to select between 3 skill areas. You also get to customize wearables with gems, and there is plenty of loot so you will frequently be upgrading your armor and weapons. 6/10

4. Interface/Controls - This is perhaps where I'd make the most changes. Basically, you select one of the three main playable characters for a section of the game, then as you progress through the game there are points at which you can choose to remain as the same character or switch to one of the other two. At first I did not like this approach, but after a while I grew to enjoy playing three different character styles. It creates more varied play and encourages those of us who typically play RPGs as one character type to try new types. One thing I would add to the interface screen is a progress bar to the next "switch" site so I would know how close I am to being able to change characters. Also, I became aware that you must play as a character to level them up and swap wearables. 6/10

5. Miscellaneous - Music, sound effects, and voice acting are superb. Art design is perfect for the story...a great mix of realism and fantasy. The game has gotten quite challenging here about half-way through, though I'd say the "boss" fights are (oddly) somewhat easier than the rest. One "glitch" I have found is that the two characters you are not controlling actually use more advanced skills than when you are playing as that character. For example, when playing as the ranger I noticed the dwarf shooting exploding bolts. When next I plated as the dwarf I saw that this was an advanced skill I had not been able to select yet.

Summary - This game was a huge surprise, and a very enjoyable one. I actually prefer more detail and micro-managing in my RPGs, but this game is great for what it is. It is a bit linear and lacks the depth of some other traditional RPGs, but makes up for it with fantastic artwork, great story, and challenging battles.

Overall Rating - 7.5
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game. But the gameplay is just too similar to previous LOTR action adventure kinda games. I was really hoping for a truly epic story driven RPG set in the LOTR world, but this just doesn't meet it's potential, nowhere near. The gameplay is rather boring. The story is okay, but nothing of LOTR caliber. If you liked previous LOTR action adventure titles, you'll probably enjoy this game. If you weren't a big fan of what's already been done, there really isn't much more on offer here. Expand
  7. Nov 6, 2011
    Its a port of console. What is terrifying is graphics. It looks like PS2 port with 7 years old engine. Thats horrible. Nevertheless, i played this game about 3 hours and gameplay is good, but missing better RPG elements. If they put a little bit more work on this game, it will be surely much better :-/
  8. Nov 9, 2011
    I didn't like that Snowblind showed a teaser way back when they announced this game, and the elf used the bow, yet when you get the final product - the elf is not using the bow. The community didn't like that either, and Snowblind didn't listen to the community or bother to read their own forums. Thus the Elf is the Loremaster. Still, to be honest, the most disappointing aspect of this game is that there is no character creator/deep customization at all, which would have really made the game go over well with the fans, even if the critics don't know what they are talking about. One can hope they do add some other player models or customization options with DLC, but with the lay-offs at Warner Brothers, thanks to horrible reviews this site compiles, from critics who only played up until they got to Rivendell, any hope of DLC is slim.

You see, if you play the game past Rivendell, watch the characters grow in levels and abilities, it's one of the best games you'll play in a long time. Like Batman Arkham Asylum/City is the best game of the Batman franchise, so is War in The North for Lord of The Rings. Now compare it to Batman and it's not quite as good, but for a LoTR game, it's the best one you can play. Forget the LoTRO MMO, since the developers make huge group content, yet not many people actually play their game, so you can't get anything done. This game is how LoTR multiplayer should be, in terms of a 3 person fellowship. The gameplay at a glance can be repetitive but once you unlock skills and new abilities for your class/character, you will see a whole new game appear. The characters also are not flat at all, as some amateur critics have said at IGN. They all have personality, though I must say Andriel seems to have the most, voiced by the same lady that did BloodRayne, E'Lara in Hunted and other games, she really comes across as a great character, as do most all the NPCs you will encounter. I also like the conversations you can have with the NPCS, because you get to ask the obvious questions people had of the novels/movies, such as "why didn't the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?"

I also have to say this game is alot better than the Dragon Age games, or anything Bioware does. I will never understand how they got acclaim, when their maps are just plugged in sections of other areas you've seen before. In War in The North, every section is new and detailed. You won't see the same looking areas all over your playthrough like Bioware games. Graphics, sound and story are amazing in this game. Gameplay is fast and precise. There are no invisible walls or hitbox issues like some critics has claimed. Maybe they were reviewing the inferior console versions, but the PC version does not suffer from any of these issues. Both this game and Hunted: The Demon's Forge were excellent games. I think the critics just don't play them deep enough to understand. While I will be buying Skyrim, I am sure that game won't have an epic tale that LOTR does or the same caliber of voice actors this game does, if it has any at all. It doesn't even have multiplayer, which in this game works flawless.
  9. Nov 4, 2011
    Everything an avid RPG fan would want in a game. With highly advanced co-op play, and an amazing combat system, mixed with decent, upgrade able characters and a good story-line, this game is a MUST play!
  10. Nov 1, 2011
    This game, while it is an Action RPG, focuses a lot more on the action aspect than the RPG. Sure there are RPG elements, cool weapons, cool armour, you can level up, sidequests and all those fun things, but at its core War in the North is an action game.

The combat is smooth and simple, and while it is a little repetitive to start off, soon you unlock special attacks and moves that break
    up the simple button bashing.

The graphics, while not incredibly, are pretty enough that you won't feel the need to criticize them.

By biggest problem with this game is the AI.

The AI does a decent job of working with you if you choose to play offline, but more often than not I found them off in the distance, ignoring the group of enemies wailing on me and beating one single enemy into submission.

Thankfully the game has very few bugs and runs very smoothly on my middle-end pc. I highly recommend this game to Action fans and LOTR fans.
  11. Nov 3, 2011
    An unexpected gem in the array of very much anticipated games coming out this year. Buying this game will mean immersing yourself in one of the most imaginative, fantastical, majestic and magnificent realms of fantasy ever created. With full license to all of Tolkien's books, from The Silmarillion to The Lord of the Rings novel-turned-trilogy, as well as the movies, Snowblind Studios does an excellent job of providing you with a deep narrative that runs simultaneous to Frodo's near impossible quest. In the process of doing so, the people at Snowblind also enrich your experience with Tolkien's world by providing deep lore and believable characters that the player may interact with (favorite among them for me is Radagast the Brown). Combat itself, the meat of any action game, is well done and provides enough entertainment that you will be more than happy to do multiple playthroughs (as I am doing now). While they could have added more variety in attack animations, such as left click (LC), LC, right click (RC) or LC, RC, RC, LC, the ways of customizing your characters from being a staff wielder or staff + sword wielder (Lore-master), 2-hander, duel wielder and/or bow + arrow shooter (Ranger) and 2-hander or sword + board and crossbowman (Champion), along with the loot system/reward system for quests, all provide enough interest to prevent the monotony that occurs with common action games. Indeed, the idea of integrating action with that RPG looting system is ingenious. But that is not the only RPG elements you may expect in this action-RPG. Character development is also a key component, and every class has different talent paths, assuring no one will be the same. For instance, on my first playthrough, I played the Elf Lore-master, a sort of semi-mage and/or support character. Generally I would have been expected to take the support route, but since at first I was soloing it, I instead chose to transform this "glass cannon" into a melee heavy, spell heavy killing machine. The result is that, while I could have had a skinny Elf throwing up "bubbles" to shield from ranged attacks and healing, or a puny Elf who flashes bolts of energy (?) from behind the roars of a Dwarf Champion, I instead became a knight-like Gandalf rolling and blasting her way into combat whilst hacking and smashing and severing limbs off with my sword and staff. The result in multiplayer was that my damage could compete with that of a Dwarf or Ranger.

Of course, despite all the great things, a game can always be better. For War in the North, improvements could be in the looting system, where more magical items are more common. One disappointment is that even after spending five minutes fighting those massive trolls, the rewards were often mediocre and non-magical on normal difficulty. Instead, most of your equipment is white and has little effects on them. Additionally, in single player, the game is a one-person show, as the A.I. is useless outside of annoying the enemy and reviving you. As mentioned, more animations and variety could have been put into the melee, because the constant use of skills without drowning yourself in power potions does not open up until much later--and then only for those who have invested in the Will stat. But don't let these minor nuisances take away from this otherwise brilliant game. Instead, I recommend you find a buddy or two, each buy the game, and go have some great fun in arguably the greatest fantasy products of the imagination to exist.
  12. Nov 5, 2011
    I am going to amend my previous review and up it a point, due to some misunderstanding on my part. Concerning your AI teammates in single player, the AI takes care of its own so you don't need to micromanage them (though you CAN manually distribute level up points if you wish). The more I play this game the more I love it, though I must admit the first hour or two didn't impress me. It does get much better and Snowblind deserves better than some of the negative/mixed reviews I've seen. Keep in mind that this game is more oriented to action than classic RPG, though you can adjust stats and skills to customize your character. I can see now after having played for many hours that it would be so much more fun with human teammates rather than bots. Gonna try multiplayer in a week or so just to give the rest of the world a chance to catch up. For Tolkien fans , this is a must have. Expand
  13. Jan 31, 2012
    This game is generic, bland and boring. Generic music, generic animations and generic writing. The graphics are OK, and it seems that's all that matters.

This might be an all right game for casual console gaming with some friends, but as a single-player PC RPG it's simply ridiculously bad.

The controls are broken.
  14. Nov 2, 2011
    I've given this game a solid and unyielding score of 8/10 on one condition: you must have two friends to play with. The cooperative play of this game is undoubtedly what makes it worth playing and to pick this hoping for an engaging single player experience would be at best, a terrible idea. What drives a worthwhile single player rpg is a focused, well-developed narrative and a feeling that your actions and decisions leave a discernible mark on the game's world - both are thing this games is lacking entirely.

The cooperative play however allows you to abandon any pretense of narrative or impact and allows for some good old fashioned hack'n'slash goodness. The combat system, although sometimes repetitive, is continually freshened up with an abundance of weapons, decent leveling system, and an above-par fighting engine that rewards timing and delivers visceral battles complete with decapitations and plenty of blood. The three characters are extremely well balanced and you'll find that your trio will never feel as though one player has the advantage in battle. Teamwork is often essential to survival, especially in the later stages of the game as well as in the challenge levels. Needless to say, the combat is the game's driving impetus and coupled with a few friends makes for an exhilarating time.

The level design is extremely linear but in a game where you and your friends will simply be itching to hit the next battle, the lack of exploration works to your advantage. The environments are well-realized and expand on the aesthetics realized by the films. Each location has a unique feel, offers plenty of loot and presents the player with new and exciting opponents. The game is marred, as mentioned, by a repetitiveness caused in part by a lack of customization and character abilities. It would be nice to see a broader range of upgrades, abilities and special moves in a game that focuses so much on combat. Other things that dampened my experience were the occasional glitch and troublesome always-on voice chat that could use a push-to talk option at the very least. All in all, I would definitely recommend War in the North to anyone looking for a solid, well realized and genuinely fun co-op experience to blast through before Skyrim hits next week.
  15. Jan 5, 2012
    Get this game if you are planing on playing it with some casual gamers. do not get it if you are planning to play it with self defined 'hardcore gamers.' its not complicated, it looks terrible, combat is simple but entertaining.
  16. Koo
    Nov 11, 2011
    A great game that plays well on many PC configurations, I am pleasantly surprised by LOTR: WITN. As others have commented, the graphics are excellent and the gameplay is engaging. My one complaint is that the multiplayer is simply the singleplayer campaign with online play. No new maps or co-operative gameplay styles, as I was hoping. Also, the difficulty levels above Normal must be unlocked one at a time, but this disadvantage is also an advantage, in that it gives you a tangible reason to replay the game's single and multi-player adventures. All told, War in the North is a great game. It's light years ahead of most movie-based games, and is great fun to play. The only thing that would make it better in my books, is a more varied multiplayer experience. 8/10 Expand
  17. Nov 11, 2011
    I am honestly enjoying it quite a bit. Co-op with my son is good fun. Maybe my expectations are too low, but I think it's well worth a playthrough. It doesn't have enough replayability for more than a playthrough or two.
  18. Dec 3, 2011
    This game was horrible to play, literally all you do is mashing buttons on your mouse and keyboard, there is no tactics in this the artificial intelligence of your buddies is horrible. Tolkien would cry out if he knew what they did to his fantastic LOTR-lore. I won't buy a game from this company again, I feel ripped off.
  19. Nov 15, 2011
    War in the North gives very enjoyable Co-Op good graphics and its yes LOTR.

Co-Op is much more enjoyable then playing singeplayer as mostly is
  20. Dec 30, 2011
    War in the North is a great experience but a repetitive one as well, so head straight to the review.
    Evaluation Method > Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: Now while the graphics are very outdated they are enough to deliver a very immersive experience. The textures a bit blurred and badly polished but the overall art style makes up for it, the presentation is
    just fantastic, recreating the world of Tolkien with a near perfect fidelity. Graphics Grade: 7/10
    Gameplay: Very repetitive, the game is not as violent as many expected, it just contains a bit of blood but nothing really spartacus-like. The problem is that the game will focus a lot on the xp your character has in order to defeat the enemies and the the player's skill. Gameplay Grade: 5/10
    Story: The Story is very well crafted because it goes parallel to the film's events and there are some mentions of those events but aren't really the focus. A good plot but not very strong overall. Story Grade: 7/10
    Soundtrack & Effects: The effects are well done but not as good as they could be. The Soundtrack is great and well placed, nothing revolutionary but very good nonetheless. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 8/10

LOTR: War in the North Final Grade: 6.75 which means 7/10.
  21. Jan 26, 2012
    I will get straight to the point. I have frequently observed how things go awry when a console game is transformed into a pc game. LOTR- War in the North is no exception. Its just another example of how a game with high potential can be a let down of sorts, thanks to short-sightedness. This is an RPG game with fabulous graphics and the bells and whistles that go with such genre of gaming. Unlike a Diablo or warcraft, the characters are visibilly bigger like a 3rd person shooter- something we often see in POTC and LOTR games. While the experience of game play is pleasant, the following issues sure are real turn offs- namely interface glitches and game play. Let's see how-

*There are 3 charcacters. While U play one, the other two companions are controlled by AI & U have little control over what they do. Customization of characters is not too innovative either. Weapons not too fancy, skill tree not very inspiring. Not much combat, magic combo to build up. This is a let down.

* Movement is a real pain and spoils your gameing experience. 'The back of your' head camera/view can often go awry. I wonder whay can't developers take a clue from the Max Payne game engine while designing characters.U can loose track of your character and his direction while playing. Especially during combat U often find yourself hacking in the wrong direction with your back to the enemy!!!! . or come up from a roll and you wish to turn around-- spite of pressing the buttons you are immobile for a few precious moments.

* For some reason the interface/key board controls are not very response friendly- Not allowing you the desired action the very moment you need it. For example, Health potions may not activate immediately. Dodge, role, move forward buttons don't always give you the combo movement when pressed together. Your charcater is thus left to stand in the middle of a mele` for a coup degrace! how idiotic. walking over loot items has a pop up window asking if U wish to loot!! that too in the middel of combat surely lacks some fore-sight. * Fighting the bosses are way too unrealistic. Especially with sloppy controls. There are many who complain about fighting the first boss- Tharzog the chieftain- Your fingers will fall out of their sockets while clammering across the keyboard- U barely go 50% of the way before either U or both your sidekicks fall and the game is over..... As if the boss wasn't enough, his minnions just keep coming. It is extremely hard for a player to make way...Not realistic at all. The percentage of gamers who claim to have made it thru is very less! My own nephew tried in vein for some 39 days before he deleted the game!!! Says a lot! With no cheat options U R stuck in the rut. Now that's sad. * After a while the combat and enemies become very repetative and boring. * No save options. I wonder why this is becoming a trend. Let the gamer decide how long he wishes to play. Without these glitches, it could have been a much more enjoyable game.
  22. Jan 8, 2013
    LotR has been host to a myriad of bad games recently, while War in the North is an example of a LotR game done right, but in it's alpha version. It is a co-op action RPG. That said, it should be obvious that as far as RPG elements go, it has limited skill trees where skill points basically distribute themselves, conversations rarely lead to anything past the linear story's progression. Characters, once again, pre-made in a game with minimal character development with very little customization options. Story, while riddled with cliches and not worthy of a LotR game, will not bother you as you will probably largely ignore it. Gameplay comes down to a handful of powers that each character has, which get underused due to ridiculously slow mana regeneration and button mashing. All there is in the game is left clicking for light attack, as well as a heavy attack that is only used for executions on weakened enemies, since it's twice slower and does twice the damage of a light attack, but requiring better timing and thus being useless. Graphics are decent, but with bland and forgettable environments.Voiceovers are done well, with several familiar voice actors. The game is very unstable, I have not been able to have it running for more than an hour without it crashing. Ultimately, your experience will rely on: whether you like LotR, with whom you are playing and how much you are playing. I am a big LotR fan, played alone for about an hour a day and would've probably finished it, had I not been stopped by crashes and bugs at Carn Dum. Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    Far from fantastic, sadly. But it does provide a few hours of entertainment between each session you play. The world is beautiful along with the animations, although not much exploration options and sort of shorter than expected. Could probably prove a good challenge on harder difficult level with friends. All-in-all, it's a pretty decent, albeit linear hack-and-slash.
  24. May 1, 2012
    This game is just purely below average. A cheap and unsuccessful attempt to capitalize on the LOTR name. About the only redeeming quality of this game is the graphics, that is if the game didn't have a severe stuttering disorder no matter what hardware you have or whether graphical settings are maxed out set to minimal. Level design is linear, characters are shallow, dialogue is somewhat grating on the nerves, and the side quest elements are a joke. Combat is generally boring with boss fights are a total mess. You'll spend more time being revived by your allies than damaging your enemies. Character and equipment management is sloppy and uncoordinated, character advancement is minimal and the control setup is unintuitive and muddled. And there are bugs galore. Quest people will disappear and reappear at random, moving a character from single player to multi-player and vice versa can cause losing your save games, and in single player your allies really do their best to block you path as you can't run through them, so you'll find yourself blocked from the action a lot as many combat areas are cramped. This game is just bad. It's not even an average hack-and-slasher. It's a terrible RPG. And it's down right abysmal for the LOTR brand. Expand
  25. Jan 27, 2013
    This game deserves imo a higher rating. It is a beautiful game, with a great story (it differs from the Lord of the rings movies, in story and characters), so you don't feel like you're just playing out the movies.

It is somewhat lineair: you can't leave the paths set for you, so okay it isn't as free as Skyrim, but it just doesn't feel restrictive. The path feels natural, not forced.

One negative I've read about, are the zombie like facial movements (or lack thereof) of some of the characters you meet in Rivendell, I have to agree with this, and it bothered me a little. Strangly I only felt like the facial animations lacked in Rivendell, in the rest of the world they were fine.

I loved the amount of gear you could find, and that you really had a choice in equiping it: it differed enough to make it an interesting trade off, between for example damage and magical effects (of the item).

I loved it, and will probably do another play through as a mage.
  26. Feb 5, 2012
    This is a pretty average RPG game, good graphics and good storyline, like the unwanted child of Diablo and Mass effect 2, but less exciting. It has some negative points though, like very limited character customization and when playing co-op, quests of a less advanced player are passed on to the more advanced player which makes for a do-over of quests in the advanced player's profile, even when you've already done them. The positive side of this game is that its addictive, if you are a LOTR fan, then you're gonna love this game, otherwise, you wont like it. Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2012
    Overall, a fun game to play - great graphics, great hack and slash battles, and a s somewhat interesting story if you are at all a Tolkien fan. And it was great seeing another person's view on Tolkien - that is another reason why I recommend this game: I think it is a very interesting and beautiful interpretation. So, if you get a kick out of ol' hack and slashes, with some RPG elements thrown in, I highly recommend this game. There's enough of an RPG element to keep things going, and I must say I am hooked. So much for homework... Expand
  28. Dcy
    Apr 9, 2012
    This is a really good game, i had a very good time when i played this game with 2 more people, the spells and abilities could be better, but the story is very good and you can enjoy playing with other people and exchanging items, etc
  29. DQT
    Nov 12, 2013
    Pros: + Violent and gory, flying limbs are always good! + Executions and curbstomping + A combo system + Varied enemies + Great fun for co-op play! + Overall story is interesting enough + Longevity: took me 14 hours to beat, longer than most games these days + It's Lord of the Rings! Cons: - Dated graphics - Poorly optimized PC port - Uninspired voice acting - Cardboard characters with little personality
    - Generally poor plot progression and writing
    - Mediocre soundtrack and sound effects; sound design in general is poor

Pro/Cons:
    +/- Bare Bones RPG system, though it is appreciated and adds much needed depth and progression
    +/- Fast paced, yet repetitive combat that is only satisfying during executions and some abilities
    +/- Online mode yet seems to be plagued with connection issues, the developer's effort is still appreciated
    +/- The difficulty is challenging, but at times frustrating. Your AI partners will often neglect coming to your aid, costing you your life. This doesn't become an issue until the latter half, with the majority of the game's first half being quite easy.

Summary: A standard hack n' slash that is very contrived yet manages to be entertaining. Nothing about this game is unique, organic or original, it is very much a cookie cutter action rpg and not a very good one at that.

Who should buy this game:
    *Hardcore Tolkien/Lord of the Rings fans
    *Those seeking a cooperative console game to play with friends
    *If it's on a bargain of 10$ or less, it's a steal, especially if you meet one of the two above criterias

Who shouldn't buy this game:
    *PC gamers looking for a cooperative experience: online mode is buggy and local play is not available
    *Those looking to buy at full price, it's not worth it
    *Anyone who wants to play an above average action rpg

6.5
    7.5 if playing co-op and 8 if playing co-op whilst drunk
  30. Nov 2, 2012
    This game bores me so much. You haven't the control over your mates, just two commands (attack and defend). Tanking isn't possible because the damage is too high and thy healer won't heal you if you need some (because you just controll one party member). why they give us a group? when there isn't a group-play like in dragon-age. You cant even equip your mates just give them stuff that they didn't equip. I'm glad i just paid 10bucks for it. If you like stupid hack&slay without tactic and if you a hugh LotR fan u can buy it, otherwise keep your hands off. Expand
  31. Jan 12, 2013
    The story is short and worthless, and there are very few levels. But the gameplay, fighting and all the other stuff is just amazing. They finally managed to make a lord of the rings game with some gore in it(you can chop off heads, arms, legs and there is lots of blood).
  32. Apr 11, 2012
    This game sucks. Completely. Horrible console port of a horrible game. I couldn't play for more then 30 minutes. Everything is poor: graphics, controls, history, presentation etc etc. Do not buy this.
  33. Jul 18, 2012
    An average game to say the least. I think I speak for the majority when I say we were expecting an open world RPG that would allow us to explore the unexplored areas of Middle-Earth. What we got instead a decent game with pretty graphics but simple and boring plot lines and characters accompanied by a button mashing combat system and average character development. The game is OK, but it had the potential to be a whole lot better Expand
  34. Jul 11, 2012
    I don't understand the negative reviews this has got. It's better than Mass Effect! (but this might just be my fanboyism towards the Lord of the Rings). The Co-op isn't anything special, but it's a fun, good-looking game with a very good story that immersed me fully. The presentation in the game is superb, it really feels like you're taking part in the Lord of the Rings. But why haven't I given it a nine? it doesn't deserve it. It is buggy, repetitive and the finale is a bit of a letdown/ anticlimax. I really wish they make a sequel to improve on the first game, and I hope that it would end up on the Wii U! Expand
  35. Nov 29, 2013
    So I tried playing this single player. What a nightmare. Your ally AI is so horrible that any remotely difficult fight they will go down in a couple seconds and there is no way you're getting them back up without dying. There is a boss fight a couple of hours into the game that took almost 20 minutes of running and slashing to beat. If he didn't have unlimited minions it might have been a bit better. After that it got easier for another 20 minutes and then another huge difficulty spike.
    The games combat is boring and repetitive. After about an hour you get tired of the crit kills and it just is the same over and over and over. I quit after reaching the midway point in the game and I felt like I had just wasted my time. I got stuck on a ridiculously hard boss and just eventually stopped retrying.

Don't waste your time.
  36. Sep 3, 2012
    Agonizingly dull combat. We are back at hammering one button for combat.... the other button is a 'critical attack'. NO combos to speak of. No utiilization of the light and heavy attacks together.. You have ONE light attack that you do over and over (and over.... and over... ad nauseum) It never changes. On top of that you get a ranged attack. Then you can do a 'heavy attack' that breaks shields... that never changes. The entire game is based on combat and I cannot imagine a duller system than this. Yes each character has 3-4 'power moves' where you press 'shift' or whatever w/ the appropriate key. This game couldn't be worse. Graphics are decent with some nice 'bloomy' background effects. Some of the levels look nice. Utterly attrocious combat.. this is like an updated version of Return of the King from 2002 but Return of the King was literally like 10 times better...each of the 10 or so charcters had like 12 different unlockable combos...... you had light attack , heavy attack, grab, throw, 'finish'... and you could combine all of those to create combos... (i.e. L, L,L, H, H would create interesting ... NEW moves)... Whoever's idea it was to have you hammering one button over and over again was obviously a *****ing genius. This game is a total failure. Even the graphics of Return of the King from 2002 are almost as good as this.. 10 years later... Expand
  37. Dec 27, 2011
    It's deffo not as bad as people say, just pretty average slasher/action RPG mix with outdated graphics. Simple story, simple combat, simple skill tree, everything in this game seems to be minimalistic and just copied over and over again. Yet it might still be enjoyable in coop for some lotr game thirsty fans who just got overexcited with the trailer of The Hobbit. Still better than Space Marine for me. Expand
  38. Jan 5, 2012
    Combat is awesome, very fun with friends. Do not expect an MMO with this game, it is a basic 3rd Person hack and slash with an rpg front. It rocks, graphics are beautiful, and combat is very fast and a blast. Quite Frankly I have no clue why others dont like this game.
  39. Apr 7, 2012
    I am very happy with this game and the game play. The story line is good the game play is challenging. It's a multi player RPG. You need to work together in Co-Op mode to get through the game. Single player can get tough at times and may seem that it takes to much time to defeat the enemy, but thats what makes this game fun to play, if you are up for the fight. The weapon system with swords needing repair is kinda annoying. But that is my only complaint Expand
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    Snowblind Studios returns to the gaming community with what is essentially a fanfiction to the land of Middle-Earth. Everything is pretty well tied to the lore, beyond the game-y elements however. The story is typical "Save the world" as your heroes gain strength to stop the titular "War in the North". Dialogue is pretty well crafted and there are side quests to do that will give you extra experience and money to spend. The combat is usually fast and frantic, with you and your allies able to lay out the pain but still able to lose if you don't keep your head. However, some enemies are just health sinks, taking minutes worth of combo's to down even with your most powerful techniques. They are thankfully few of these moments for the most part. The trolls however are the biggest perpetrators of this crime.

The game has co-op and single play, with up to three selectable characters. The hardy Dwarf Warrior that can act as the parties tank or melee monster, a Dunedain Ranger that mostly is the ranged support but can also mix it up in melee just fine with the right skills and the Elven Loremaster who acts as the support caster and healer, with a few "nuke" like spells to help deal with crowds. However the game has a very odd way of handling character switching; everyone shares an inventory pool but do NOT give any items to your CPU allies, as it'll be lost forever. To that note, your CPU allies equip their own gear and it's separate for ever variation. If you play the Dwarf through, your Ranger and Loremaster will have their own gear. Switch over to the Ranger, and your Dwarf and Loremaster will have different gear depending on what they've found and the same if you play as the Loremaster.

As for difficulty, it's fairly standard progressing onward to the final boss, but there are some parts that are downright impossible without human companions(a defense mission on the hardest difficulty comes to mind) but beyond that it's a fairly by the numbers hack and slash action RPG.

In ending, if you have any love for the land of Middle-Earth and want to wander some of the more known environments of it in the shoes of the brave and bold warriors of the land, give this a shot.
  41. Mar 17, 2012
    The reason I'm rating this game a 1. Is a half point for it being a Lord of the rings game and another half point because my girlfriend will play it. I'll leave all the other positive comments down on the bottom. I also own the hard copy (not downloaded) LOTR WITN and only play it on PS3 so I cannot vouch for any other consoles.... The 1st thing I do whenever I open up a brand new game is pull out the user guide that comes inside of the game case to familiarize myself with new controls and game set-up. What I found was a 6 page booklet (most of it user agreements and epilepsy/seizure warnings) that didn't even have all the controls listed on it. With a Lore-Master voucher for free complete armour set and a weapon. (Possibly the worst set in the game) [-1 point] So I then popped the game disk in with my girlfriend to watch the "epic just put the game in intro movie" and... nothing happened. It just brought me to the start menu [-1 point]. So then we press start and choose our characters... except when my girlfriend was trying to choose a character she couldn't make her own saved data on my PlayStation profile. Wait a minute! you can't play and save data from only one playstation profile!! So I exited out of the game to make her own profile so she could play. We each choose our own characters and away we go. Once the game loads My very first thought was ``F*** this split-screen ``[-1point] and [another -1 point for not being able to change that] (when playing 2 player the screens are side by side instead of with every other multi-player split-screen, top and bottom [-1 point]). To make matters worse your character takes up the entire screen. So although you have can have a great view of a Dwarfs` ass [-1 point] Ã Expand
  42. Nov 11, 2013
    I am a fan of the LOTR universe, so I liked this game even without playing it. When I actually aquired this game, I was a little disappointed. It seems to me as the developers haven't finished the game development yet. The graphics are a little outdate for the period this was released and it is like the developers were in a real hurry with this game, which really upsets me a lot. The overall in-game menus, graphics, settings are just not that great. If you look past that, you will notice a really nice RPG. Expand
  43. Jun 26, 2013
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North is an excellent hack & slash game, themed with tales of the Middle-Earth. Snowblind Studios did an excellent work with the story, not using the classic "Take the ring to Mordor". Instead creating a new story in the cold north, filled with references to the lore of Lord of the Rings and also the Hobbit. Also with great voice actors, cutscenes, talent trees combined with 3-player breathtaking combat and action. Slaughtering of the Armies of Sauron has never been more fun!
    But on the other hand, you should grab friends with you, because the AI companions aren't always the smartest or most useful. Overall: This is a great hack & slash with great story.
  44. Sep 6, 2013
    I bought this game not expecting much due to the many mediocre reviews. From the start, I was pleasantly surprised. This is one of the best hack and slash RPGs I've found, and is definitely worth a play. If you enjoy RPGs where you can level up, or are a fan of the Lord of the Rings series, I would definitely recommend this game to you. The combat is complex and varied, the graphics are great and the story line is very engaging. Expand
  45. Nov 7, 2013
    this game is horrible. The fighting is boring and and it never does anything to make it fun. The story isn't good either. The characters are practically emotionless. The graphics look like plastic action figures you would play with as a kid. The frame rate is also bad. It was never over about 10-20 fps.
  46. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is complete ****
    No fun in the complete game. Fights are gay and boring and nothing makes sence. No hope for this game! DONT BUY IT!!!!swsasdawde
  47. Dec 16, 2013
    I ignored War in the North for over 2 years before picking it up on a Steam sale, and while the game is not without its faults, it has slowly risen to become one of my all-time favorite action-RPGs. First off, the game NEEDS to be played on a decent PC with a controller, as its console counterparts suffer from some ugly technical hiccups that ruin the experience, while the mouse and keyboard controls just aren't right for the third-person real-time combat. Also, it's very easy to dismiss the game in its first 3-4 hours, since you don't start to see the depth of its streamlined RPG design until you've leveled a bit. And lastly, the Lord of the Rings setting and characters are honestly just brand recognition and window dressing for what would have been a fine action-RPG under any other name. It's not like the concept of a male human, a female elf, and a male dwarf cutting down orcs and trolls is all that original in fantasy these days... and it doesn't need to be. Snowblind's games have always been this way; Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath never really benefitted from or had a great impact on their respective D&D and EverQuest IPs, but they were good games nonetheless. In other words, don't play War in the North because it's Lord of the Rings. Play it if you like dark fantasy action-RPGs, as it handles its violent combat-driven mechanics very well. There are a few extras to be explored, from the occasional side quest and replayable areas laid out on a proper RPG map, to challenge quests and even Dragon Age-esque branching dialogue (though you're never really faced with consequences for those choices). The real fun is in unlocking skills that have a sizeable impact on your fighting style, and each of the three characters offer a fair amount of visual and stat-based customization. The only weirdness in customization is how your selected character reflects changes, while the other two auto-level and stick to preset builds when controlled by the AI. While they retain changes you've made whenever you actually play as them, they revert to the auto-builds whenever you switch. They don't lose your changes upon switching; they just don't use those changes when AI-controlled. That may seem confusing and odd to solo players, but it's obviously a design choice due to WitN's focus on co-op. It means that other players can easily drop in or out without messing with your saved builds, and it also means that you can sell any unusable equipment without having to hold onto it for another character. In the end, most solo players will stick to a single favored character anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. And on the flip-side of that point, WitN does offer an excellent cooperative experience for up to three players, if you've got friends willing to play it. The game also presents a fairly wide variety of locations and enemy types, drawing inspiration from Tolkien's lore even outside of the original novels or film adaptations. It's lengthy, too, as the game generally takes 20 hours or more for a story run (as long as you're not skipping the dialogue) and could easily eat up 60+ unlocking everything. And despite its length, the combat doesn't get old. In fact, it gets better the further you press on, and due to its moderately high challenge, it becomes quite rewarding. The ability to call on a great eagle for occasional air strikes or form a protective/restorative dome using the Sanctuary skill are particularly cool, and you'll often be left with a smile on your face after downing a massive wave of orcs. In the end, I have been pleasantly surprised by War in the North, and even if it shouldn't be placed in the same basket as Skyrim or Dark Souls, it serves as an enjoyable [and usually cheap] option for anyone looking for a solid action-RPG. Expand
  48. Nov 9, 2013
    This is a great coop game.. they made it more interesting by NOT following the main story and by showing us the struggles that took place behind what we saw.. and the other hero's that helped save middle earth.
    Game play is simple and that's a good thing.. when your mobbed with enemies and have 3 people fighting off everything from armored orcs to orcs with explosives strapped to their
    back and have to swap weapons quickly it doesn't need to be complicated. Graphics are beautiful and the story and side missions are interesting and all have the Tolken "feel" well worth playing. controls are very easy and many games have the same control set.. people are stupid. No customization? you might want to look around.. in the Prancing pony you can change face, hair, facial hair, eye color etc. your lack of intelligence doesn't mean something isn't there it means your too stupid to find it. Expand
  49. Dec 4, 2013
    if you get this game for cheap, it would almost be acceptable. Sure, there's much better out there, but it would still be a fun little game with some drawbacks from the console-friendly inventory. Too bad this game is also very unstable. I'm one of the lucky ones: got to play it with many crashes, while some people can't play at all. It still became unbearably frustrating, since the game also not allow you to save your progress except for autosaves, which combined with all the stability issues can get you stuck at the same spot for a very long and frustrating time. Too bad, because I would have recommended it otherwise. Expand
  50. rev
    Apr 13, 2014
    Pretty good action RPG ported from consoles. The story is nothing special but blends well into Tolkien't lore. + Good graphics, playable on puny AMD E-350 + Several hours of quality voice acting - Controls could be better, some actions require 3 keys to be pressed in order, it doesn't work in the heat of battle - Inventory management is somewhat clunky - Character swap is implausible due to inability to manage companions' inventories
    - Graphics glitches in chapter 8 part 4 lead to system crash on AMD systems
  51. Nov 8, 2013
    This is an extremely poor console port, the graphics look like something from the late 90s or early 00s, the game play is overly simplistic, the settings customization is nonexistent, and multiplayer is unplayable due to really bad, unmuteable in game voice chat. This should have never been released on PC if they had no plans on doing anything with it.
  52. Sep 6, 2013
    Just wanted to warn people that this game has serious connection problems especially when playing with three players. Also you are not able to disable in-game voice chat which has poor sound quality without third-party software. Otherwise seems pretty decent game.
  53. Apr 5, 2013
    In short, the low score given to this game is a shame. This game is so much fun with many upgrades and a lot of loot to be collected and used. The fighting system is nice and reminds me of Demon's Souls (block, attack, block and so on). But above all, this game immersed me quickly and I have difficulty in putting aside the controller once I start to play it. To hell with the graphics... If it reminds people of PS2, so be it. I used to love that machine. This game deserves a solid 8 in my book. But I'll give it a 9 because of the people cursing at it. In the meantime I played the game with some randoms and saw that they didn't have an idea about what to do. And I think people giving low scores are "mostly" of that kind (I mean, noobs...) Expand
  54. Jun 3, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by War in the North, as I enjoyed this game quite a bit. The graphics and effects are well done, so is the voice acting and other sounds. There is gore and blood as well, which is cool. The RPG elements aren't very deep, so it won't be confusing at all. That is something I like, there are only 4 different attributes to put points into, and there are very simple skill trees that are easy to understand. The skills are varied enough to feel original and the 3 different characters all have their special abilities that are useful. It is a hack and slash, so you'll be spamming mouse1 more often than you'll be thinking tactically about the situation. Overall, though, I enjoyed it for my first couple playthroughs as the new game plus-esque mode kept me entertained. It did start to get a bit boring though as the story is a bit short and the combat is a little repetitive. If you are a fan of the LotR universe you'll most likely end up enjoying this game, too. Expand
  55. Nov 29, 2013
    This, has been a horrific experience for me. Especially because I've played it for 4 hours, and have got 3 blue screen of deaths. I've un-installed it, and will never install it again. But it's actually really sad, because it's a fun game, even though it's a very bad console port.
  56. Oct 28, 2014
    For LOTR fans, a 7/10 score for a solid, enjoyable game. Hacking at Orcs, single or with friends, will never lose its appeal. The story is nice, simple. Its also nice moving around the world. And the game being rather short is fine with me, as its fairly light anyways. For everyone else, its probably a 5/10 score. As stated, the story is light and none too involving. The graphics are clean but lack any real imagination, which is probably its biggest downfall. I barely remember the nondescript music. The levels are extremely linear, offering no discovery. It lacks any deep RPG elements, I auto-levelled-up without even needing to think about which traits are better. And there's no real replay value. Overall though, there's enough enjoyment to be had here from a bit of orc hack-and-slash for a few hours, diverting easy fun. Don't expect anything deep or involving. Expand
  57. Jan 10, 2013
    game is okay but the multiplayer is **** on PC. thats the main reason why a lot of people buy it and it doesn't even work. the game itself is standard hack and slash fare, with some modern twists such as a dialogue wheel and whatnot.
  58. Dec 4, 2012
    The best thing that I can say about this game is that it isn't terrible. It's mostly a tedious hack 'n slash with just enough RPG elements to drag down the action, but not to actually make it interesting. As with many obvious console ports, the controls are awkward and the menus are difficult. The graphics are decent but are not enough to distract you from the bad voice acting and poorly-scripted, dull story. I made myself suffer through several hours of this game, hoping that it would get better, but it didn't really. If you're a big LOTR fan then maybe you'll find this tolerable, but otherwise I'd recommend avoiding it. Collapse
  59. Nov 24, 2013
    Got this with some friends with the last Humble Bundle, and I played it for 3 hours today with a friend. I don't really see why this game has such low reviews. It's graphics are decent and I quite like the level design. It's storyline is simplistic, and mostly seems like an excuse to slaughter waves of goblins, but is in no way outright bad. It's music is actually pretty good. The game mechanics seem pretty good, and I had a lot of fun trying different weapons and fighting styles while smacking goblins around with my sword or bow. My friend had a blast playing the elf mage, so I suspect the mechanical abilities are solid for all three characters. Expand
  60. Dec 5, 2012
    not a good game i was very disapointed because i thought that i will spent my money on a good game for my bad luck i didnt see the reviews but its still a little fun not so much after 3 hour you will whouldent to play the game so after all i think that the lord of the rings war in the north is suck dont buy it
  61. Sep 4, 2013
    No clue what these guys are playing. The graphics are nice (not crysis 3, but still), the hack-and-slash is fun, the storyline is avarage and i havent found a single bug or problem so....
  62. Aug 3, 2013
    Game was fun to play for a while, then around the 3 hour mark you come to the realisation that you've already experienced the entire game repetitive, bland and boring. On top of which, I experienced lots of game crashes including a blue screen of death, something I have not seen in over a decade. Stay away from this 'game'.
  63. Feb 12, 2014
    I had no fun while playing this game. Initially I was expecting greatness because I liked the graphics very much. But after a while I started to dislike it. I find the voice acting very wooden and lifeless. The character models feel a bit bland and generic. And nothing in the story really gripped my attention like a great RPG should. As for the combat I found the frantic fights quite tiring and too repetitive. I could honestly not recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  64. Mar 20, 2014
    As enjoyable as KOTOR but in Lord of the rings universe. Very enjoyable to play COOP with up to 3 players. I would almost say it's like a 50 hour MMO without any boring grind. Hero mode oddly feels very heroic.

10/10 Because there are terrible games out there and this is not one of them!
  65. Sep 6, 2013
    It is strong middle game. If You are a fan of LotR You should add one point to the final score. Plot is really nice and I had fun when i had met some characters from books and films. Game is good, but it could be much better. It is quite long surprising plus. Gameplay is eatable. Sometimes minor mistakes can make You angry. Invisible walls are also annoying. Playing online with friends is much better. Final conclusion I love rpg, love LotR and like hack and slash so..i had fun with this game. Expand
  66. Apr 17, 2013
    My wife and I really enjoyed playing this game, the combat is fun, the graphics look great, the skill trees are rewarding, and I am really enjoying the story. The combat feels like a blend of the best of Skyrim and Warcraft. The only legitimate thing that could be said against it are the inventory system could be a bit more polished, the story could be longer and there could be more scope for exploration. These things are easily forgotten as you play through the game hacking the heads off orcs, eagerly awaiting your next level. I have had no connection issues. I thoroughly recommend the game as one of the finest co-op action rpgs out there.. Expand
  67. Feb 5, 2014
    One of my favourite coop games. the gameplay is fun and solid, the ambiance is gorgeous and their's a lot of RPG elements in it.

It doesn't try to do too much and succeed in everything it does.

Don't hesitate.
  68. Apr 22, 2013
    The game has nice graphics and a setting rich in detail, but the fighting mechanics and physics of the player characters are unconvincing. Has a reasonable backstory, but at least consistent with Tolkien's world, with important characters (such as Elrond and Bilbo) making appearances on every corner. It's a fun game, but that was not to be overestimated.
  69. Jul 21, 2013
    It's a hack and slash Lord of the Rings game like so many others. I got bored with it in under an hour. Onto my issues with it.
    It has an in game voice chat that you can't turn off. There is very little customization,you have three chars and you can edit small details, but nothing much. They have a preset personality and then it's go and fight stuff. I found the combat less than
    interesting. But really what bothered me is that it's a pure railroad story, there's one path, one way. If you're going to do that, then please just write a fan-fic and don't call it a game. Expand
  70. Dec 14, 2013
    The game's plot is a separate story sometimes even complements your events Jackson trilogy Fashionable meet many characters from the movie only they are made crooked and not realistic.
    + You can play with friends or strangers from the internet Coop for three. Pluses on this end .
    - The combat system primitive zadalboivanie LMC and in the end the decisive blow on the right button
    it's all very pathetic just like in Gothic 4 Index finger will be sore after 2 3 hours of the game.
    - Miserable graphics, the game was released in November 2011 a week before the release of TES Skyrim. They do not even compare to the level of graphics as the earth and sky. The game looks like it was made in 2005, the doge with TES Oblivion does not compare it is pathetic .
    - Endless repetition, was a little gut map you fight killed all again all over again. Repetition of small bosses Trolls and other creatures all wildly angry.
    - Leveling no balance it is virtually useless. All to the disgrace of all 3 branches of skills with perks Magic, and generally ranged attacks are useless worthless and cause damage. Need to get into the head orc 9 times to kill him well, it's just awful But this is far from the enemy's attack is applied three times more damage than yours, even if the pump bow crossbow or staff at the seer .
    - Impassable moments because of a notorious enemy imbalance 12 hour pass threw the game.
    - Locations all done sloppy and ugly even though the game takes place in the world of LOTR, invisible walls everywhere sometimes just in the way and annoying.
    - Exceeding the opponent in an amount enough that they killed only after the 6-16 attacks so still a lot of them to the middle of the game simply unplayable and impassable You can probably pass with only an irreparable loss to the nerves or the trainer.
    - Magic spell damage and staves completely negligible at least in Elf and perhaps that is capable tickle opponents.
    1/10 Game frank vyser igroporoma how could all so nalazhali with RPG component I do not know, probably just have not tested the game did anyhow for 3 months and released cut the dough with the fans of the universe The only plus point games this scenario interesting conversations I am glad that the game did not buy the incentive. Can be traversed only if the trainer.
  71. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is great for RPG'ers that love getting into the nitty-gritty when it comes to learning about other characters and lore of the game. Accurate and interesting LOTR lore is what kept me wanting to play. Any Tolkien fan will be happy with this. That being said, the story is very linear, and the same should be said about the levels. Equipment management is pretty lacking, with a rather unfriendly equipment interface.The game play is a classic hack&slash with little variation. The three playable characters have different play styles which can accommodate most players; But it's still just a hack&slash. I actually found some of the voice acting pretty lame at times, but it was average on the whole, I suppose. I had no issues with bugs like some of the other guys. I payed $20 for the game, and I feel like I got what I payed for out of it, but no more. A solid 7.5. This game will please LOTR fans, but unfortunately it will not make any new LOTR fans. It's too mediocre. Expand
  72. Aug 11, 2013
    It was a good game overall. Had some clipping issues, sometimes a monster would get stuck and had to kill with the eagles. Character development was on the short side, but still interesting. Liked the setting and the missions. Was pretty short but worth the time and with a lot of action. Beat the first time in about 17 hours. Now I may attempt multiplayer or heroic mode in the future.. has a little replay value. Expand
  73. Sep 4, 2013
    Fantastic hack & slash game with great graphics & good storyline. If you are looking for a game with intense combat with an over arching LOTR theme then this game is for you.
  74. Sep 8, 2013
    Probably one of the best action RPG so far I have ever played in 20 years of gaming.
    Never experienced connection issues. The combat system is very solid, satisfying to play and fun.
    The story is well written, co-op doesn't affect gameplay at all, actually it improves the overall experience.
    If you are looking for a good 3rd person hack and slash you should absolutely consider buying
    this.
    It's like an old school golden axe experience, in Tolkien's world.

It has flaws, but you'll pass over them after 1 hour of playing since they don't ruin the experience at all.
  75. Nov 13, 2013
    Oh my! This game is poor. If it had been released on the Megadrive I think I would have loved it... BUT, graphics have moved on, gameplay has moved on and expectations have moved on. Try and find a demo before buying and make up your own mind... but I would definitely say don't waste your money on this game.
  76. Dec 7, 2013
    This game is a real treat for us Lord of the Rings fans, and if you are a LOTRO player, or one that recently quit LOTRO in a blind rage, this is a very satisfying helping of Tolkien. The storyline is original but very true to the established lore. The graphics are superb- I'm playing on a 660Ti and they are fluid, detailed, and gorgeous. The combat system is simple but very fun and I found the combat animations excellent.
    On the negative side- give us more! It's too linear and feels too much like a console hack n slash. If players had more flexibility with character creation and if it were a larger, open world this would have been a much better game. I'm imagining this game with the scale and depth of Skyrim-now THAT would have been a game to talk about.
    I'm playing mostly multi-player with a partner which is very fun, but kind of poorly integrated with some buggy moments mostly related to simply getting two (or three) people into the same game at the same place.
    In summary, this is a very fun game- but not an "alpha" game. I blame that on the industry's ill-conceived focus on console gaming and disposable games.
  77. Nov 17, 2013
    Really enjoyable, entertaining storyline, good gameplay. A great buy. The graphics are really good, and it gives you some background knowledge on the series. Good co-op and single player.
  78. Dec 3, 2013
    I'm giving this game a 10 just because of those people giving 0 just because they think for some reason the graphics are horrible. In fact the graphics looks pretty goof even now in 2013 and if you've a decent hardware the frame rate is realy fluid even with everything at max. This guy "drachehexe" says "You'll spend more time being revived by your allies than damaging your enemies." if you don't know how to play then probably yes but according to Steam I was playing 6 hours until now and I was revived one time only. He also says "your allies really do their best to block you path as you can't run through them, so you'll find yourself blocked." that's not 100% true, I mean yes they will block you sometimes and you can't run through them but the issue is so simple as hit the "space" key and you will do a roll that it will go through them so it's not really a problem.

The game is not perfect of course (and I would agree that LOTR deserves a better game in the line of Skyrim), if you want an rpg in TES style this is not what you should look for but still it's an enjoyable game.
  79. Feb 23, 2014
    I think this game will appeal to fans of the hack and slash genre. More so if you have a passion for the works of Professor Tolkien. The game focuses on events in the Northern part of MIddle Earth and the gameplay is set at the same time as Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring are travelling south towards Mordor and Mount Doom.
  80. Jan 5, 2014
    For any avid Tolkein fan this game is defiantly one to play, in terms of experiencing more of Tolkeins world, Warner Bros have certainly delivered. Players venture far to the north, fighting the dark forces of Sauron that don't featured in Peter Jacksons feature films or many other adaptations but for any true LOTR fans these are figures you should and will recognise. From the aspect that The War In The North adds to the brilliant depth and detail of Middle Earth, I beg any fan to play it!

Now, in terms of game play, theres nothing special here. It isn't ground breaking. But then again, whilst playing I felt a humble sense of nostalgia for the level based game's of my child hood. In this day and age games get slated unless they are breath taking and ground breaking which personally, I don't think is right. You should play games for your love of them, and, as a Lord Of The Rings fan, I love this game... so will you.
  81. Jan 6, 2014
    Could be better. Controlling is very simple however every battle is different, my fav game to play with a partner so far, a lot of fun in 2 players mode. The soundtrack and sound effects are somewhat annoying and too repetitive. There are no alternative paths, so it's all the same no matter which character you choose. The AI of your computer companions is very poor, still the game is pretty easy and not demanding. Expand
  82. Jul 9, 2014
    So , I started playing without expecting too much as the studio is relatively unknown and small. I was really pleasantly surprised though as this turned out to be quite a gem. The in-game menus and GUI elements aren't great and look really outdated but the core functionality of them is excellent , incredibly simple and handy inventory , stats , skills system which I loved. The movement and general feel is decent but can sometimes feel a bit bulky. Decent though. The real pleasure in the experience is in the combat , it feels sturdy and swinging a frosty two handed broadsword has never felt better. Chopping of limbs of orcs and goblins is incredibly satisfying. The co-op dynamics is really well conceived aswell and the player to player system feels great. Graphically my opinion varies. The modeling is extremely well done and the displacement and normal mapping is great with large textures, yet runs really well. However , some things like nature and lighting feels unfinished and rushed. At times there are 2D trees randomly looming in the background and the skyboxes are really awful - minor things. If your in the market for an RPG that feels like Dragon age and plays like Skyrim you cant go wrong here. Enough said. Expand
  83. Sep 5, 2014
    it is a very good game one of the best rpg games. the story is good, the characters the graphics game play the interactivity are good finished the game in both pc and ps3
  84. Oct 9, 2014
    I would give this game a 10 for it's fun gameplay,story and graphics. (Not to mention the loot system!)
    However, this game is buggy. From messing up your saves to freeze ups, glitches can ruin your game.
    I would've given it a 10, but dat glitches though....
  85. Dec 4, 2012

War in the North is a hack and slash with some RPG elements and co-op, all assembled around one of the most beloved media licenses today, but with all this going for it, it simply doesn't manage to stand out. Sadly, it's just another product that tries to blend some popular elements, but with no true support or personal identity.
    Attractive world of Tolkien's imagination brings "forgotten" adventure of three heroes aside from the main story – the true magic of the game is hidden in the 3-people cooperative play. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    Not without issues, but as The Lord of the Rings games go this is much better than most. [Feb 2012, p.84]