8.3

1. Nov 25, 2011
    There aren't many games that I give a a perfect 10 score. The Movies is a perfect example of an imperfect, entertaining game that is expanded almost endlessly on your own personal imagination. The ability to craft your own short-stories with Sims quality characters (at least Sims back in 2005), and to voice act in your own movies is something unseen. If you're looking into animation, orThere aren't many games that I give a a perfect 10 score. The Movies is a perfect example of an imperfect, entertaining game that is expanded almost endlessly on your own personal imagination. The ability to craft your own short-stories with Sims quality characters (at least Sims back in 2005), and to voice act in your own movies is something unseen. If you're looking into animation, or anything of the sort, pick this game up for $10 and let your imagination run wild. Export the movies and share them with friends, or make them with your friends. There's hours of fun to be had here. Expand
  2. KimP.
    Nov 11, 2005
    It's really two apps in one: A tycoon game with a"movie mogul" setting; and a consumer-level machinima tool. You can play the game without really caring about your movies (you actually arent required to view them if you don't want to). You can *kind of* use the machinima side of it without playing the game. However, you do need to know how the UI works, and certain It's really two apps in one: A tycoon game with a"movie mogul" setting; and a consumer-level machinima tool. You can play the game without really caring about your movies (you actually arent required to view them if you don't want to). You can *kind of* use the machinima side of it without playing the game. However, you do need to know how the UI works, and certain 'eras' of film making are only unlocked after playing. As a tycoon game, it's first rate. I'm not personally a fan of games that require too much micromanagement, something most of this genre is guilty of. However, that being said, the tutorials, user-interface, and interactivity are an absolute triumph. I'm REALLY impressed. As a machinima tool, it seems REALLY powerful. Despite that, it's very easy to use. After playing the game part for 2 hrs, I went back, did the 'sandbox' mode to unlock a bunch of stuff, and created a 4 minute vignette subtitled film in about 15 minutes and was quite impressed with the results. (note, I didn't even view the tutorials for this part, so was lucky to find out that you need to build a post-production facility if you want to add audio or subtitle, and that is also where you export to WMV). I'm running it on a beta of Windows Vista, and had no bugs or crashes, though the ingame movie viewer was running a little choppy. 9 on 10 for The Movies. My only complaints are too much micromanagement (typical for this genre), and the problems I had with the speed of the ingame movie player. Otherwise, I loved it! Expand
  3. MattDC
    Nov 21, 2005
    The deeper you dig, the better it gets. This game is a wondeful evocation of movie-making through the eras. The attention to detail is astonishing and the longer you play, the more you appreciate the fact that Lionhead loved making this game. Critics have pointed to the diconnect between the movie-making and tycoon aspects, but this is a pretty insignificant objection. Ultimately, The deeper you dig, the better it gets. This game is a wondeful evocation of movie-making through the eras. The attention to detail is astonishing and the longer you play, the more you appreciate the fact that Lionhead loved making this game. Critics have pointed to the diconnect between the movie-making and tycoon aspects, but this is a pretty insignificant objection. Ultimately, it's fun, charming, funny and addictive. You can't ask for much more. Expand
  4. Sep 8, 2012
    One of the most entertaining game i have ever played. Great atmosphere, great music and sounds, colorful world. The Sims thing is a little bit annoying me.
  5. Oct 27, 2012
    Amazing in every way. The Movies is an Addicting game that mixes Tycoon games like Roller Coaster Tycoon mixing that with Hollywood mogul and The Sims which is a mix that is really great.
  6. Jan 29, 2013
    One of the most underrated gems I've ever seen. I can play this game any day. I simply can't tell what's so cool about this game. Basically, everything. I can close my eyes on repetitiveness only because it's really one of a kind game. People should expand on the ideas that this game has! Imagine The Movies, but where you're not choosing scenes, but creating them yourself! It's sad, thatOne of the most underrated gems I've ever seen. I can play this game any day. I simply can't tell what's so cool about this game. Basically, everything. I can close my eyes on repetitiveness only because it's really one of a kind game. People should expand on the ideas that this game has! Imagine The Movies, but where you're not choosing scenes, but creating them yourself! It's sad, that there's no Movies 2, or hell, any other alike game, i really love it, the idea is great and still needs to be executed much better. But, I'm pretty happy with this game. Expand
  7. Jun 2, 2014
    The movies is one of the most addicting and satisfying games I have ever played! I would highly recommended this game to anyone! So enjoyable and rewarding! I can't stress anymore to tell people to buy this game! worth every cent! Sim and movie lovers will go crazy over this game! So much effort can go into the making of movies, ideas are endless! character development is amazingly good!The movies is one of the most addicting and satisfying games I have ever played! I would highly recommended this game to anyone! So enjoyable and rewarding! I can't stress anymore to tell people to buy this game! worth every cent! Sim and movie lovers will go crazy over this game! So much effort can go into the making of movies, ideas are endless! character development is amazingly good! all factors come together as one of the best simulation games ever! Highly underrated game! which will continuously have you coming back for more! Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2014
    ONE OF THE MOST FUN GAME THAT I HAVE EVAR PLAYED!!!!!

seriously this game is so fun that i just want be the star of this game it has one most fun things ever
    this game and it expansion pack are a must you really should get this game if you are interested in making your own films
  9. Aug 13, 2014
    A unique simulation game about the Hollywood film-making industry, featuring pretty much everything from shooting a film in scenes to managing the stars' ego. There are so many things to take care of that it feels more like a tycoon than a simple simulation. I liked the detailed shooting of the films, the studio's need to capitalize, the difficulty of getting your stars on schedule withoutA unique simulation game about the Hollywood film-making industry, featuring pretty much everything from shooting a film in scenes to managing the stars' ego. There are so many things to take care of that it feels more like a tycoon than a simple simulation. I liked the detailed shooting of the films, the studio's need to capitalize, the difficulty of getting your stars on schedule without stressing them out, and, of course, the charts and the award ceremonies. I disliked the mechanical way of rating the films, the difficulty of achieving rave reviews of the stars (which means you can't have Meryl Streep in the game) and some problems in balancing the game's difficulty after you advance on technology and rankings. These are minor details, and do not spoil the whole experience. It is, overall, an accomplished effort in a genre that is overlooked by most gamers and gaming industries. Too bad it did not get a sequel other than an expansion pack. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2015
    One of my favourite simulation games to date. It has plenty of content and can be very difficult at times if you play the campaign. Hover I have to say that if you stretch the game time too much and let's say you reach the year 2090, it gets boring and, what I have found, no one will come to ask you for a job, unless one of you employees had died.
  11. JvM.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Nice if you like to make random movies... Like me!
  12. Dalek
    Jul 26, 2009
    Nice game, I enjoyed it in 2006. Nice graphics, I recommend this for people that like the sims or like to think and spend some time on this game. You can also learn what actors do in real life. The game gets harder when your in the 1990's on the actual thing and not sandbox. Your money gets lower and you need to post a lot of films.
  13. FaisalH.
    Feb 3, 2007
    This game is a one-of-a-kind with an incredibly strong movie making engine. You can virtually make anything it it and that adds hours of gamesplay to it, though the tycoon part will bore you soon.
  14. TravisG.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I absolutely loved this game.
  15. SeanK.
    Jul 13, 2006
    One of the best PC games of all time.
  16. JonasHøiberg
    Jun 11, 2008
    This game is one of the, if not THE, most entertaining tycoon titles on the market. In some way, I feel like it measures with some of the titles from the lost era of the 90's. You control every single little bit of how the studio is run, along with script writting and your actors' social lives. This is a great game.
  17. GeorgeE.
    Dec 14, 2004
    Real cool. Like a tycoon game only more into what you do and form.
  18. LaRue
    Nov 19, 2005
    This game is awsome! I love it! It's so realilistic! I gave it a 9.7
  19. Mar 9, 2012
    While not perfect this game is an addictive simulation. Part sim part movie builder the games compromises both parts well. You will spend hours wasting away managing your cast, crew and other members to achieve rank one in the starts, movies and studios categories. The game and its goal (to be the best at everything) is the sum of many parts having to take care of attractiveness, salary,While not perfect this game is an addictive simulation. Part sim part movie builder the games compromises both parts well. You will spend hours wasting away managing your cast, crew and other members to achieve rank one in the starts, movies and studios categories. The game and its goal (to be the best at everything) is the sum of many parts having to take care of attractiveness, salary, trends, skills, media, money and the list goes on and on. The milestone rewards, award ceremonies and scientific advancements add a great feel of progression missing in a lot of sims, I was impressed by it. You can have a ton of fun without even making a custom movie ever. If you do want to however, you will find a robust enough system to support you. While it might not support some complexity some people crave from the movie making or even the micro manage sim point it is a fantastic game overall that comes together extremely well. Expand
  20. May 25, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have ever played and I still play it. You can create almost any kind of movie which will get based on your creativity. You will see the process when your movie get's filmed, reviewed and if you want, written. You have to think as a real studio owner and you have to deside how much money you will spend on each movie and how much time it will take to film in.This is one of the best games I have ever played and I still play it. You can create almost any kind of movie which will get based on your creativity. You will see the process when your movie get's filmed, reviewed and if you want, written. You have to think as a real studio owner and you have to deside how much money you will spend on each movie and how much time it will take to film in.
    The game will start on 1920's when the movies are in black and white. Then after like 12 hours of gameplay you will be in preset time and after that it will become future. Every year in the game an award ceremony is held and you will se how your studio is going to the top of filmaking.
    If you are an creative person or like having much control this is the ultimate game for you.
  21. May 14, 2014
    I really wish there were more games like The Movies, it's a one of a kind gem. It's just simply so much fun to manage the movie studio and make your own movies.

I highly recommend it.

Few games in recent years have been laugh-out-loud funny, but The Movies generates so much random silliness that - even when things are going wrong - you can still have a good time.
  2. The heavy micromanagement necessary in The Movies may not be for everyone, but it’s easy to see that this is a good game. There are enough unique touches so it never feels stale or derivative, even though parts of it may seem familiar to some gamers.
  3. From the gorgeous detailed graphics, humour, wonderful on-set animation and the entertaining radio news system, The Movies is a landmark game.