8.3

1. Jul 21, 2012
    If I could sum up the game in one word it would be "cheap". The game looks and plays like a indie project that didn't have the resources to make a decent quality game. It has a good story and the quests are fun at times, but it also has plenty of bugs and glitches which ruin the immersion of the game.

Don't be be fooled by all the spamming user reviews that give this game a 10 out of 10. It's just some lame kid hired by FunCom to inflate the meta scores of this game. They are desperate at this point because they know everyone that pre-ordered this game are incredibly disappointed.

By the end of summer, this game will be the The Lonely World.
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    Simply superb game that I am really happy to play! Lifer here! :) Recommended for both casual and hardcore players. Solve puzzles, enjoy deep and really fun quests, especially the investigation missions that will send you searching for ansvers in totally new ways. Especially recommended for mmo veterans that I am sure will love this game!
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    The game has received very good reviews of the most serious reviewers. Young reviewers focusing on pure war and details of this - has given the poor.

Browsing the pages: http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/more_reviews_previews_and_interview and http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/check_out_the_latest_previews and http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

Browsing the pages:
    and
    and

The game has received good feedback because players enjoy the game. All of the game is unique in terms of MMO.

The game is best suited for those who like good stories, good graphics and sound. Combined with the mission, sabotage and so on.
  4. Jul 21, 2012
    There's something very strange about the user reviews here for The Secret World. Almost all of the positive 9's and 10's were left by people with only one review: TSW. Not only that, but when I read these reviews, I can't help but wonder what game these people are playing, because TSW is not NEARLY as good as they are making it out to be. I was in the closed beta, and have beenThere's something very strange about the user reviews here for The Secret World. Almost all of the positive 9's and 10's were left by people with only one review: TSW. Not only that, but when I read these reviews, I can't help but wonder what game these people are playing, because TSW is not NEARLY as good as they are making it out to be. I was in the closed beta, and have been following this game for years, and I am completely disappointed by it. While the modern setting is cool, the story fails at being realistic at all. This is the SECRET World, not the OBVIOUS World. For example, when starting the Illuminati quest, you eventually are led to this building where it is obvious the base has to be inside, with hands pointing the way to your end goal. Then, when you get there, the Illuminati are wearing... Illuminati uniforms... Where are they getting this stuff made without exposing themselves? How has normal society NOT discovered their barely hidden base entrance? And characters are running around with their weapons on their backs, in modern day, not hidden -- the fact that no one is being noticed by the police further wrecks my immersion. The quests feel very single player, and if you have to gather items, prepare to compete with everyone around you to pick up the items (that have a terribly slow respawn rate, too). The graphics are very outdated. I found myself staring at the doctor's misshapen arm while he talked, and couldn't pay attention to what he was saying because he looked so terrible. If this game was 10 years ago, the graphics would be acceptable. Character customization is limited and bland, and while there are no "levels" or "classes" advancement is still done with XP and you choose your specialty weapon (which defines your abilities like a class). Most of those weapons are terrible, unless you pick something melee. Combat is terrible, clunky and slow, and absolutely not fun. Don't bother trying to play a ranged class, because enemies run up on you faster than Left4Dead (hence why you need to pick a melee weapon from the start). I've also experienced random bugs, such as getting stuck in a doorway, and having to log off to get unstuck. Do not be fooled by all these good reviews on here about this game -- it's currently unpolished, unfun, and a great disappointment that isn't showing any signs of getting better. I expect whoever has been leaving these false reviews is going to thumbs down mine, but I have to get the word out anyway. It's very possible this game will go F2P like most other Funcom titles, and when it does, that would be a nice risk-free way to give it a try. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2012
    I think what I like most about what I am seeing regarding the reviews is how the critics seem luke warm but fans appear to be pretty excited. So why is it that the critics and fans seem to be on opposite sides of the fence lately? Most blockbusters get great reviews by the critics, but fans have clearly been disappointed. While lesser known titles that actually seem to try and innovate,I think what I like most about what I am seeing regarding the reviews is how the critics seem luke warm but fans appear to be pretty excited. So why is it that the critics and fans seem to be on opposite sides of the fence lately? Most blockbusters get great reviews by the critics, but fans have clearly been disappointed. While lesser known titles that actually seem to try and innovate, with the inherent risk that comes with trying something new, fans love and critics poo poo. This game really is a breath of fresh air and is only in its infancy. I wish this company all the best with this title and hope it will have some longevity in a gaming industry littered with repeats and the same old ideas. Expand
  6. Jul 20, 2012
    Just registered to say, that the game is the most enjoyable mmo experience in the last years. In some ways, the game reminds on the "old" style mmo, like anarchy online or eve online, where you have myriads on options for character development. I like especially the instances, the investigation quests, the lore, the setting, the lovely crafted environment, the graphics. Oh, wait, I loveJust registered to say, that the game is the most enjoyable mmo experience in the last years. In some ways, the game reminds on the "old" style mmo, like anarchy online or eve online, where you have myriads on options for character development. I like especially the instances, the investigation quests, the lore, the setting, the lovely crafted environment, the graphics. Oh, wait, I love the whole experience. Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2012
    Pretty much every person that has played this game should post his or her review about this great game. Yes, everyone should be able to have their say about the game, but looking from the metacritic reviews, the game is supposedly a mediocre achievement from Funcom. Kinda contradicts what the majority of players are saying. I wonder why? WoW(4 different installments rated on metacritic) ,Pretty much every person that has played this game should post his or her review about this great game. Yes, everyone should be able to have their say about the game, but looking from the metacritic reviews, the game is supposedly a mediocre achievement from Funcom. Kinda contradicts what the majority of players are saying. I wonder why? WoW(4 different installments rated on metacritic) , Diablo 3 and SWTOR have 91(avarage of all 4), 88 and 85, respectively! I agree on WoW, but both Diablo 3 and SWTOR have received below average and bad reviews from players. Whooping 6000+ players have graded D3 to an overall grade of 3,8!! Something must be utterly wrong when online magazines are rating a game at 88/100(or 8,8/10), while the players, who make up 99% of the gaming community give it thumbs down. SWTOR gets 5,6, a little better but still not even close to what the game has received through metacritics.

What, Funcom didn't pay you enough, or at all, to do an honest review of the game? Out of 30 or 31 reviews, the game is rated at mediocre. I guess this is what always happens when someone tries to trudge a new road and make a new standard. This industry has become oh so money driven. I understand that neither WoW nor SWTOR nor Diablo 3 wishes to lose its fanbase, but lets be honest. With or without these bad reviews that are given, this game will blossom. Because word of mouth sells better than any commercial ever will. But hey, everyone has their right to an opinion.

I have spent roughly almost $70 for the game(Scandinavia) incl. shipping(yes, I have a box-version), and paying $10-15 a month is for me personally not an issue. That is how much 1 beer in the bar costs. I guess I will be skipping that 1 beer and play this game instead. No one will ever make a perfect game that will satisfy everybody. We all have to admit that. But realizing how low the leaders, who are here to promote the games have sunk, I rest my case by saying: Try the game for yourself or, If you have a friend that has the game ask him to give you his buddy-key. Or even go to a internet-cafe and see if TSW is installed and try it there. Point being; you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for reading.
  8. Jul 20, 2012
    Try The Secret World out! Do not rush, but let yourself dive slowly into the game and enjoy how it starts to grow on you.

TSW is more fun than any themepark released in the last 10 years. The game is social and fun for roleplayers. Quests and storylines are so damn good in this game but people who "farm" probably will miss out on that. The missions are interesting, the NPCs have stories and character.

One other thing to note is that Funcom are already working on bringing in entire new zones, most games don't even do that unless there's a expansion pack.

As you probably understand by now, I can recommend The Secret World higly. 3 weeks in and I am still having a blast! The Secret World is the best game I have played for at least 5 years.
    If you too decide to try it out, enjoy!
  9. Jul 20, 2012
    The Secret World is the best MMOG i have played in about 13 years of MMO gaming. The World has a great atmosphere. The NPCs have deep characters and their stories are actually worth listening to. The Background story is complex, exciting and very interesting to experience. The mission design is great, especially the investigation missions that really need a lot of thinking out of the box.The Secret World is the best MMOG i have played in about 13 years of MMO gaming. The World has a great atmosphere. The NPCs have deep characters and their stories are actually worth listening to. The Background story is complex, exciting and very interesting to experience. The mission design is great, especially the investigation missions that really need a lot of thinking out of the box. Finding a group (at least on Kobold) isnt hard, theres lots of other players to meet everywhere.
    Then why only 8 of 10? Because there are flaws. Of course - its a MMOG!
    Most of them are minor bugs, that can be a nuisance sometimes, but arent gamebreaking. Then theres some features missing, that should be there at launch, but thats by far not as bad as it was in SWTOR. Thats 1 point minus.
    The other point is the PvP. Its fun for a while and all, but it needs A LOT of polishing. the two battlegrounds get boring quite fast and the persistent PvP map is nothing but a Zerg fest, where the faction with the most players wins. So that either you join the Zerg or you die. TSW definetly needs more PvP maps and a lot more complex persistent PvP goals and mechanics.
    Other than that, the game is simply great. Everyone should at least try it!
  10. Jul 19, 2012
    I have been enthralled by this game for the past few weeks. Witty, tongue-in-cheek writing paired with great graphics and interesting game mechanics have provided me with a good deal of enjoyment. Where other recent MMOs reward you for grinding, The Secret World gives you greater reward for thinking outside of the box and using intelligence which seems to give the player a sense ofI have been enthralled by this game for the past few weeks. Witty, tongue-in-cheek writing paired with great graphics and interesting game mechanics have provided me with a good deal of enjoyment. Where other recent MMOs reward you for grinding, The Secret World gives you greater reward for thinking outside of the box and using intelligence which seems to give the player a sense of accomplishment that other MMOs fall short with. The only complaints I have is that the combat system is similar to the other MMOs, and the game might have benefited from a little more testing and bug squashing before release. All in all I give this game a 9.5 of 10. I can't wait to see where the Funcom takes TSW from here! Expand
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    The most fun I've had playing a computer game since Halo first hit. Some of the best characters and story I've seen in a computer game. This game deserves to be a big hit - it's awesome.
  12. Jul 19, 2012
    What I like about this game is that it's so different than any other MMO I've played and I have just about played them all. I had almost given up on the entire MMO genre until stumbling onto TSW. This game is a shinning gem in a sea of turd filled mediocrity.

Honestly though, I don't feel like reading a review does this game any justice at all. The only way to truly understand how good this game is is to try it out. After the previous stinkbombs that have been released lately (I'm looking at you SWTOR) I fully understand someone waiting until a free trial is released before playing any MMO. But I have to say, if you are remotely intereseted in a modern world, no cookie cutter FOTM classes, NO ELVES OR ORCS and most of all fun then pull the trigger. That being said, if you do try out this game give it some time because initially the ability system does seem really odd and really confusing but once you delve into this game it's quite impressive. If I were to change anything about the game I would change the first time players introduction to the game. I really did feel lost for a bit.
  13. Jul 19, 2012
    I love The Secret World - it is absolutely unlike any MMO you've played. You've probably heard all the big selling point by now, and they're all true. The setting and atmosphere are crazy brilliant, the quests are more diverse and original than most single player RPGs, and the character advancement is really unique and refreshing (you will find yourself constantly changing around yourI love The Secret World - it is absolutely unlike any MMO you've played. You've probably heard all the big selling point by now, and they're all true. The setting and atmosphere are crazy brilliant, the quests are more diverse and original than most single player RPGs, and the character advancement is really unique and refreshing (you will find yourself constantly changing around your abilities to fit the situation - which is how the game sells itself as "classless"). Instead of leveling vertically in levels, you gain skill points and ability points at a fairly rapid basis... allowing you to not only be more powerful, but much more flexible (you can change out any purchased abilities on a whim, as you see fit).

Besides the theme, and the fact that the game can get really genuinely creepy, the thing that sold me was the diversity of quests (called "missions" in TSW). These missions sometimes require solving actual puzzles and riddles, and frequently doing ACTUAL detective work (sometimes involving Google, Wikipedia, and lots of actual, real-world websites that the devs have set up - in addition to in-game clues). There are still the occasional (albeit rare) "Kill X Monsters" quests, and they're still as tedious as ever... but they're few and far between enough, that I don't mind when they pop up once or twice per zone.

That said, the game still has all the rough edges. In particular, the sheer inventiveness of the quests means that the developers are still cleaning up lots of obnoxious mission-related bugs... some of which are bad enough that they can completely stop your progress. And the real kicker is that the bugged quests almost always seem to be the coolest and most inventive (like The Black House, which would be one of the coolest game experiences ever... if it worked). There's also a pretty good number of quests where monsters are supposed to spawn but don't, or take so long that you just assume it's bugged and leave (which in turn sometimes breaks the quest even more). As with most MMO launches, this is fairly par for the course, and hopefully if you wait 2 or 3 months to try the game out, these annoyances will be fixed.

As others have also stated, character creation is really underwhelming at the moment... particularly in the realm of hair styles (for both male AND female characters). Once you are actually in the game, the clothing options available for purchase (with in-game money or actual cash) will put most fashion districts to shame - so keep in mind that as disappointing as the facial creation is, the possibilities for customizing your clothing are downright INSANE... and the cloths are really what define your character's look, anyway. But if the character creation still gets you down, know this: the developers are busy adding barber shops, plastic surgery centers, and tattoo parlors to the game - so that character you created at the beginning... it's not permanent. It can be changed and tweaked to your heart's content once you're in the game (in about a month, anyway).

And that's the kind of cool stuff that will keep my playing The Secret World for a long, long time. It's the choice, the diversity, the excitement and fear... The Secret World is a refreshing, genuinely original, and fun MMO that gets it right everywhere that counts. The developers passion for their product shines through every feature... and once they get that extra coat of spit and polish on there (in the form of bug fixes, barber shops, and plastic surgery)... then I'll be able to say with complete honesty, that this game is a perfect 10.
  14. Jul 19, 2012
    I was excited about this game. I love the concept of the strange fractured realities and so on. But since it included adult content I won't never play this game. What a shame that such a great game had to be ruined because someone can't keep his dirty mind out of the development.
  15. Jul 18, 2012
    I am absolutely blown away by this game. Its not perfect people! In fact, there are quite a bit hiccups that need to be ironed out. And I believe they will be. PvP is not very engaging or thought out, but again, Im sure that will be addressed. Seriously though, I have never been so immersed in a game like this one. When im not playing, I daydreaming about playing. The Story, theI am absolutely blown away by this game. Its not perfect people! In fact, there are quite a bit hiccups that need to be ironed out. And I believe they will be. PvP is not very engaging or thought out, but again, Im sure that will be addressed. Seriously though, I have never been so immersed in a game like this one. When im not playing, I daydreaming about playing. The Story, the quests, the atmosphere, even the combat are excellent. At first, I was a little worried about what I had invested in. Not more than an hour later, I had a completely different view. I love being able to yield a gun and magic. The options for your choice of weapons are so diverse. And come on, its got Zombies!!! I've even had a great experience with the other players when I've asked for help, or needed something. I'm a lifer now, and I have no doubt that I will not lose interest in this game anytime soon. Expand
  16. Jul 18, 2012
    I have played alot of mmo's, like wow, Tor, Tera, Aion... and funcom, mother of god, this is a piece of art u have done in mmo genre. Epic quest's( for example on a quest i need to hack a pc terminal, and give me a error 37 that i cant access to the server :) and i think for me , i know this error for some place (funcom trolling blizzard epic, just epic).....TSW lack in pvp content, butI have played alot of mmo's, like wow, Tor, Tera, Aion... and funcom, mother of god, this is a piece of art u have done in mmo genre. Epic quest's( for example on a quest i need to hack a pc terminal, and give me a error 37 that i cant access to the server :) and i think for me , i know this error for some place (funcom trolling blizzard epic, just epic).....TSW lack in pvp content, but funcom is working in some surprises...try the game will not regret it for sure Expand
  17. Jul 18, 2012
    Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game.Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game. Everything from the main quest to the side-quests has an engrossing story.

The 550 or so abilities you have to choose from gives the game a strategic twist, since it becomes increasingly important to have a good build. You can also quickly swap roles from a healer to a damage dealer without much effort. The combat itself involves hitting a lot of 1, 1, 1, 2 etc. like other mmorpgs, so it might not be as different as some have hoped. The concept of builders and consumers are pretty good, but not completely new. The underlying abilities/mechanics however are very good.

There is a main storyline leading you from the beginning to the end, something that gives you a good overview of the locations. It is also well written, and exciting, weaving old legends and history into the story.

The thing I think I like the most are the investigation missions, where you have to google for clues about ancient history, mysteries etc. You can even use the in-game browser. The fact that you have to think, and that aha! moments that follow really makes this something else. There are some bugs, but this has impacted my enjoyment very little. Some quests have been bugged, but some have been fixed in patches, and others have worked when I came back. Since mmorpgs are living games, and these issues are being worked on, I won't really detract anything from the score.

For those worrying about the longevity of this game, don't. There will be monthly updates with new content, mechanics etc. I've gotten my lifetime subscription, will you?
  18. Jul 17, 2012
    Don't listen to the haters. You will enjoy this game if you like unconventional quests, a grim modern setting, adventure-like riddles, a dark story, shotguns and magic, fast gamemaster support, rock solid servers, ctuluh, dark humor, world of darkness rpg and being taken as an adult by a game designer. If you are interested in this game, try it out! It is a great experience.

You will

You will dislike this game if you are a progress-raid hardcore gamer, an asian-grinder, a generally innocent person who dislikes horror movies, a game-critic who expects some kind of 'next-gen-mmo', a very competitive gamer who wants to show his 'pro-whatever-ness', or a world of warcraft fanboy (really, this game is not for you. Don't try it, don't waste your money and don't whine about it. Just leave it alone).
  19. Jul 17, 2012
    MMORPG is not my normal cup of tea so I was a bit skeptical in the beginning
    But the game works great with fresh and exiting quests. So to anyone who are tired of the tedious grind found in so many RPG's come on over and join the secret world =)
    MMORPG is not my normal cup of tea so I was a bit skeptical in the beginning

My main attraction to this game is my fondness of funcom classics such as Dreamfall and the longest journey. I get some of the same vibe from the secret world which is awesome.
  20. Jul 17, 2012
    I've been waiting for "The Secret World" for long, even though I didn't knew, what to expect. Literally, Funcom does the same thing, they did with "Age of Conan", which was a lovely MMORPG with different ways to experience new systems. The Setting wasn't seen till now and the cutscenes are the best i've seen in an online-rpg for years. Unfortunatly some bugs stop the flow too early and theI've been waiting for "The Secret World" for long, even though I didn't knew, what to expect. Literally, Funcom does the same thing, they did with "Age of Conan", which was a lovely MMORPG with different ways to experience new systems. The Setting wasn't seen till now and the cutscenes are the best i've seen in an online-rpg for years. Unfortunatly some bugs stop the flow too early and the missing of tutorials and hints makes it hard to beat the game without dying too much. Expand
  21. Jul 16, 2012
    A modern day fairy tale except that the fae in TSW aren't the ones born when the first baby laughed for the very first time, but rather the naughty demon fairies that kill, maim and kidnap for fun. In this parts
  22. Jul 16, 2012
    This game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged byThis game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged by thoughtful interesting plot development, and immersing myself in some of the most well done and atmospheric zone design ever. And no levels! The ability to eventually learn every skill in the game with one toon! I have heard that PvP is a little lackluster, but I haven't tried it yet. Funcom, fool me once (AO), fool me twice (AoC), knock it out of the park here. Wait, what!?! Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2012
    I have been playing my share of mmos going back to 1999 and Everquest. Played almost all major titles since. These days my time are at a premium and I am a lot more picky about what games I play. Thankfully FunCom has made a great game which is truly worth my time, my only concern is that is hard to explain to my GF when it ends...

The good: Smooth gameplay Requires thinking,

The good:
    Smooth gameplay
    Requires thinking, innovative analytic skills and knowledge
    REALLY scary
    Immersive
    Great atmosphere
    Fun combat that require that you pay attention and use the right skills while moving
    Super flexible skill system

The Bad:
    Slightly cluncky feel due to animations
    Not enough customization at start

The Ugly:
    Nothing

This game looks like a strong contender for my personal game of the year. ME3 and D3 were huge let downs, not expecting much from GW2. Only game close so far is crusader kings2 which is a hidden gem.
  24. Jul 16, 2012
    Finally a nice MMORPG without elf, orcs and dwarf; interesting quests with good voiced npg; a different game that worth to play.
    The quests are rally interesting and you have to use some brain to solve them.
    I m satisfied.
  25. Jul 16, 2012
    Okay people check this game out thorughly BEFORE you buy it. Watch videos on youtube about gameplay and character creation. I took a bit of a risk buying this game, it did not pay off.
    First issue for me is the CC. I think modern day mmos should have excellent chartacter creators, the one in SW is poor. The hairstyles for females are a joke, plenty of mohawks, short boy cuts and some very messy looking bobs and mid length hair styles (about 3) NO LONG HAIR AT ALL. That stinks. The hair colours are weird and dont match the palette, the make-up otions are awful, two badly done ordinary blush and lip colour selections the rest of the make-up choices are horrendous tattoos and clown faces. The slider selections are limited to face selection, jaw, eye shape (not size) lip shape and nose shape. No sizing for body or face at all. ALL BODIES ARE EXACTLY SAME SIZE AND SHAPE. You get to choose some start off clothes, big thrill (NOT) Only accessory choices are glasses, no hats or any other type of accessory.
    I found the graphics appallingly clunky and chunky, it looks and feels like a game made ten years ago, no details, the clothes are the same, badly drawn and low quality textures. My husband tweaked graphics as much as he could but game is still very poor to look at.
    First taste of fighting was some ridiculous dream sequence, awful fighting mechanics, my character felt heavy and difficult to manage. So far I am nearly hating this game. It feels like a chore and I feel very badly about the money I wasted on it. Am trying to play some more to see if there are any good points. Will come back and add more if I find any.
    PLEASE PLEASE dont believe all the hype you read here, check this game out VERY carefully before you buy.
  26. Jul 16, 2012
    There is something special about a game where the immersion is so complete you simply take for granted that you are going to need Google for some help or call in some intel after a boss fight to let your Faction / Society know what you've been doing. It is a brilliant game with some minor flaws that can be easily fixed and the player base that I have encountered, is very smart and astuteThere is something special about a game where the immersion is so complete you simply take for granted that you are going to need Google for some help or call in some intel after a boss fight to let your Faction / Society know what you've been doing. It is a brilliant game with some minor flaws that can be easily fixed and the player base that I have encountered, is very smart and astute at keeping the game flowing and keeping it real when it comes to PUGs. The way you can manipulate your character means you never ever will be concerned that you want to re-spec or that you wish you chose a different class. You can be all 'classes' eventually. As for 'leveling' well there is none in the truest sense. But unlike other MMO's as you get further into the content the XP flows like water and you actually progress FASTER in character Skill points and Ability points.! It's a breathe of fresh, 'un-grinding' air to have it this way. The Secret World has a lot to offer and takes you down the rabbit hole in a way few other games ever will. It has my full attention for gaming right now and that is a very hard thing to do because I enjoy so many facets of the hobby. Buy this game and enjoy yourself, I have a feeling the 'noobie' zones will even be quite full for a good long time. Expand
  27. Jul 15, 2012
    This game is 8.5 rating but apparently metracritic doesn't let you do that so I just round up to 9 because this game is more a 9 than an 8.

This is the most unique MMO to date and stands out above the rest. When was the last time you played a modern-day MMO? Exactly. Not only is the atmosphere immersive, the story and questing are the most enjoyable aspect for me because it keeps you engaged and makes you want to learn more and although there are your typical kill x amount quests here and there it has a story behind. Investigation and sabotage missions steals the show and really breaks out of the typical MMO questing system. In some of these missions you have to do research outside the game to come to a solution or you may have to go stealth and avoid combat altogether. Not to mention, this has been the only MMO that I actually listen/read the quests and lore (I normally just hit OK and go kill 20 monsters in other MMO's), this shows you how intriguing the story is.

I also love the classless system, it reminds me a lot of Skyrim (which I also really enjoyed) and no levels is a welcome addition, no longer will you can't play with your friends because you're too low level. It only comes down to your abilities and how you build your character.

Overall, I highly recommend this game if you're an MMO fan that wants something different. Are you tired of fantasy medieval settings, fetch and kill quests, bland storylines, marathon dash to max level so you can start playing the "real" game? Look no further and enter the Secret World.
  28. Jul 15, 2012
    Great game! Amazing atmosphere and I just love the questing! So tired of the fantasy settings, so this was a breath of fresh air! If you have doubts about this game, I can assure you that after some hours of playing, you will fall in love with it :) Buy it!! :))
  29. Jul 15, 2012
    Fun questing, some of the coolest instances I have ever done, and engaging pvp-battles between the factions is what makes this game one of the most fun I have played for a long time! I will play this game as long as Funcom keep updating it, and with a plan with updates every month, I guess I will stay for a while!
  30. Jul 15, 2012
    Simply amazing.great lore,great story.some minor bugs but nothing could take me away from this S h i t .pretty cool entertainment..the game is very mature.
  31. Jul 14, 2012
    I've played a lot of MMO's and while I did not find there was a lot of innovation besides the class system in MMO style of play, I was completely taken in by the atmosphere and immersion. The story telling aspect is top notch and the dungeons require a lot of thought and teamwork. There are plenty of solo quests to keep you busy if that's your thing as well. I heard that there is newI've played a lot of MMO's and while I did not find there was a lot of innovation besides the class system in MMO style of play, I was completely taken in by the atmosphere and immersion. The story telling aspect is top notch and the dungeons require a lot of thought and teamwork. There are plenty of solo quests to keep you busy if that's your thing as well. I heard that there is new content already planned and the upcoming stories sound interesting. I can tell right away that I will be sticking to this one and look forward to seeing how it improves over time. If your on the fence I'd say give it a shot. Expand
  32. Jul 14, 2012
    ce jeu est tout simplement magnifique un environnement varié des créatures variées et des quêtes ou il faut chercher à grace navigateur intégré je kif ce jeu c'est tout graphiquement excellent et un système de lv tout simplement extraordinaire je ne peux plus men passer à acheter absolument
  33. Jul 14, 2012
    Not quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going toNot quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going to start out small, but grow continuously throughout it's life span. If funcom keeps the game up to date, you're going to be hearing ALOT more about TSW than you have in the past. Expand
  34. Jul 14, 2012
    Essentially fibbing in its claims of being a game without classes or levels, that is precisely what this game contains. One kills monsters to gain experience points to reach the next "tier" (i.e., level) and begins the game by choosing a "weapon" (i.e., the class whose skills they will increase as they level up). There is nothing particularly innovative about this game. PVE is monotonous.Essentially fibbing in its claims of being a game without classes or levels, that is precisely what this game contains. One kills monsters to gain experience points to reach the next "tier" (i.e., level) and begins the game by choosing a "weapon" (i.e., the class whose skills they will increase as they level up). There is nothing particularly innovative about this game. PVE is monotonous. Combat is stale. Heaven forbid, you might as well just go back to playing SW:TOR. Expand
  35. Jul 14, 2012
    A new and refreshing style of game that brings difficulty back to gaming without using excessive and pointless grind gimmicks. The graphics look clean and symmetrical to style across characters and environment. The music and sound are very well done and provide an eerie feel to the play. Missions stories are extremely well done building an enthralling story and capturing the essence ofA new and refreshing style of game that brings difficulty back to gaming without using excessive and pointless grind gimmicks. The graphics look clean and symmetrical to style across characters and environment. The music and sound are very well done and provide an eerie feel to the play. Missions stories are extremely well done building an enthralling story and capturing the essence of horror and suspense. Be ready to think, this game is not for the mindless. Missions come in several identified flavors that are categorized for the player to choose these will range from Combat oriented, Investigation (puzzles), Sabotage (stealth), Story line, Dungeon, and PVP. You are limited to the number and type of missions you can have at a time. This is by design in order to keep a relevance to the story progression. At first it seems limiting, but by understanding how the mission system works, it makes perfect sense and works well in its design. Development and Combat: What really makes this game shine is its development system as it is vast in its options and styles. This game does have progression system, not a leveling system. It is centered around skills for weapons and talismans (think gear) and a action point screen of over 500 skills segregated in different focuses (weapons) which provide different approaches to play. The system is broken up into actives (skills you actively click in combat) and passives (which enhance and add various functionality to skills in combat). The system only allows you to equip two weapons at a time and you can only slot 7 actives and 7 passives at a time. At first, this limitation feels constricting, like it is too simplistic, but this would be a poor surface evaluation of the system. Active skills are primarily tied to the weapons, but passives can often be used from all of the other trees. The concept is that there is a "synergy" that can be created between given actives and passives. A given weapon will have a focus of concept (healing/damage, damage/support, etc..) and each weapon provides a different approach to things. The skill system can get extremely complex building various conditions to which amplify certain conditions and effects in combat. There are basic states to the combat such as Hindered (slowed), Afflicted (DoTs), Weakened (debuff), Impaired (stun) and so on. Some actives will apply these states and passives can amplify off of them creating buffs, more damage, healing, special conditions, etc... All of these can be applied with a system of building resources for the weapon with some skills, using finisher skills that work off them and various other skills that provide more complex effects and conditions within combat between them. The system is designed around having you select many different types of combinations of these effects (the more you think and design, the more complex and powerful the synergies between them can be). Not only will you design complex setups between your own skills, but you will also do this in designing a group to work together. The days of "you play tank, I play healer, etc..." while may work ok in this game, restrict themselves from the true power of the system. "Role" thinking in this game is a very shallow misconception in the game. You use ALL the skills, not just a specific focus. There is a lot of misunderstanding of the systems in this game, combat is far from simplistic (it is extremely complex in its subtly) and requires a lot of attention and thought to make it shine. This isn't a button smasher and those who approach it as such have problems and handicap themselves. If you find the system is boring, repetitious and simplistic, you need only look at yourself. You design your class, the responsibility is at your feet. The "talismans" are gear in this game and they operate in an interesting manner. You have 1 head slot, 3 major slots, and 3 minor. Each slot represents a percentage of a 100%, 25% head, 15% each major, 10% each minor and the stats on the items will weight respectively to those areas. This isn't a system of people wearing "class specific" items solely. You will mix and match regardless of your chosen focus at a given time. Overall, this game is not for your standard MMO player. It requires you to think, to slow down, to experience and be responsible for your play. You have to break conditioned thinking of previous MMO's to be successful and see the complexity the system provides. If you approach it like previous MMO's you will have difficulties. An honest score for this game is about an 8 or 9, I gave it a 10 because there are some here giving it a 0 based completely out of ignorance (including some of the critics). This game by far does what few MMO's do, and while some obscure titles out there may have complex systems, this is the first mainstream MMO that gets most of it right. Defintely worth an "honest" try. Expand
  36. Jul 14, 2012
    Fantastic game so far. Anyone can become anything they want without starting again from scratch. Great PvP with 3 way battles between the 3 factions. Great story and game design. Beautiful graphics, best I've seen in an MMO. Keep up the good work TSW!
  37. Jul 13, 2012
    This game was released to early. It is plagued with multiple problems. Complaints range from account issues and not being able to log in, to mission that players can not complete. While the story seems like it would be fun, and the cut scenes are nice, it is hard to progress to really get into the game. Constant reloading of the UI or re-starting the game is standard protocol. TheThis game was released to early. It is plagued with multiple problems. Complaints range from account issues and not being able to log in, to mission that players can not complete. While the story seems like it would be fun, and the cut scenes are nice, it is hard to progress to really get into the game. Constant reloading of the UI or re-starting the game is standard protocol. The game makers should have held out for 4 more beta tests and a couple of months to make this game worth buying currently. Expand
  38. Jul 13, 2012
    Now I am very biased towards this particular genre. I absolutely love "World of Darkness" style lore. Modern settings with ghouls and goblins strike a real chord in me, and Funcom has capitalized upon it beautifully with The Secret World. Everything about the game is immersive, from the zombies gnawing frantically on rotten corpses to the crashed cars and shattered store fronts. The questsNow I am very biased towards this particular genre. I absolutely love "World of Darkness" style lore. Modern settings with ghouls and goblins strike a real chord in me, and Funcom has capitalized upon it beautifully with The Secret World. Everything about the game is immersive, from the zombies gnawing frantically on rotten corpses to the crashed cars and shattered store fronts. The quests are voiced, the ability combinations are nearly infinite, and the dungeons are far from faceroll. The Secret World has all its bases covered as far as I'm concerned.

What can I say? I'm hooked.
  39. Jul 13, 2012
    The Game is the same as Star Wars: The old Republic. You play it for the Story, and wenn you finished you have nothing to too ... Funcom must update the Game fast to hold the Player
  40. Jul 13, 2012
    Engaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery andEngaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery and the ability to share this experience with other players. If you want to get to the endgame as fast as you can, then choose something else to play. 10 out of 10 because the trolls can suck it. Expand
  41. Jul 13, 2012
    It's a game that has learned a lot of lessons from other MMOs, and puts it in a unique setting. Quests are interesting, all voice-acted, and make sense. The graphics and environment are beautiful. The combat and leveling system has a learning curve. In-game tutorials and pre-made skill builds help a lot if you find yourself getting lost in it all, because there is a lot there - imagineIt's a game that has learned a lot of lessons from other MMOs, and puts it in a unique setting. Quests are interesting, all voice-acted, and make sense. The graphics and environment are beautiful. The combat and leveling system has a learning curve. In-game tutorials and pre-made skill builds help a lot if you find yourself getting lost in it all, because there is a lot there - imagine playing WoW and getting every talent tree and spell for every class available to you, and you can mix/match, and eventually you can have ALL of them. The combat is as fun as any other MMO, with a little more added positioning, but more challenging to manage your buffs/debuffs which make up a huge aspect of the combat. Expand
  42. Jul 13, 2012
    I had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics areI had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics are extremely well done, the BEST pvp zone ive ever seen, up to 200 people all at once in a persistent pvp area that grants in world bonuses for the entire faction! i find myself wanting to skip work just so i can unravel one more mystery. Im an especially picky player, but ill say, the secret world blew my mind. Expand
  43. Jul 13, 2012
    This game has a lot to offer since amazing investigations quests a new system of doing them, great sound environment and graphics all of this would give the game a 8.5 in rating maybe 9, but the gameplay is just horrible, thats why i give it a 6 it is just dull it has no feeling at all.
    This game is not for everyone not at all my dear friends.
  44. Jul 13, 2012
    + Great universe
    + Interesting quests

- Awful animations
    - Bad character customization
    - Character leveling DOES exist
    - Zombies again and again....
  45. Jul 13, 2012
    This is a very mixed thing-it's a top notch classic RPG with a good story,however as MMO it's a bit disappointing-it's all about the story really. Anyway-8 out of 10 oh god,8 out of 10,go buy five months subscription,it will worth every dime.
  46. Jul 12, 2012
    The secret world is out. On metacritic it's getting positive/mixed reviews from reviewers but is getting very positive scores from players. None of the big websites have rated it yet though so time will tell. I'm jumping on the wagon as well by saying that this is the best MMO I have ever played, and I do not say that lightly. It is amazing, but it's very different from most MMOs in termsThe secret world is out. On metacritic it's getting positive/mixed reviews from reviewers but is getting very positive scores from players. None of the big websites have rated it yet though so time will tell. I'm jumping on the wagon as well by saying that this is the best MMO I have ever played, and I do not say that lightly. It is amazing, but it's very different from most MMOs in terms of pace and focus, which is good for me but may not attract the casuals or completionists (not to say either of those groups are bad).
    It's not a game for people who just want to powerlevel and get to end game raids just to get new gear. Dont misunderstand, the staples of an MMO are all here, and The Secret World innovates and alters these mechanics in very unique, positive ways, but It's more story and atmosphere focused than any MMO I've seen, much more like a single player rpg or an modern Lovecraft story.
    It's not like TOR, which has an entertaining story but it's really just there to keep the raiding and grinding interesting. It's a game built AROUND this mythos and setting
    And the quests are very different and may be difficult for hardcore MMOers to get into. Like investigating clues hidden throughout cities, answering riddles and finding answers. Sometimes you even use real-world websites and phone numbers. There's even an in-game web browser to support this. This game was made for roleplayers tired of the clichèd medieval fantasy, and the sci-fi cyberpunk saga, players who want to explore a different sort of setting. They're adding new content every month. From balancing to raids to customization to pvp, adding a plastic surgeon and a barber, there's a lot going on here.
     Put simply, the secret world is amazing. If this remotely interests you, please support this game and review it as well. Companies sell what consumers will buy. We need to tell EA and Funcom that THIS is the standard we want, that not every game needs to be an fps or a traditional mmo for us to like it.
  47. Jul 12, 2012
    Don't let the bad critics of people who only played a few hours to keep you away of this game. There must be people giving multiple bad reviews. Actually the player base is very happy with the game and the devs response to some questions (chat and some minors bugs in the first launch) is awesome. The game had the smooth launch I remember in a game (I play since UO in Europa).

The Secret

The Secret world is a very innovative and refreshing game if you give it an opportunity to surprise you, and if you try and learn a new way of play (That means innovative). Just don't try to evaluate the game with the pow of others mmorpgs.

After you create your character and choose faction (Templars, Dragons or Illuminati), you start your travel in the dark world. The main factor in the game is that the quests are not a way of grinding of a simple excuse for level. Every quest (basic ones or more complex ones) are exquisite designed, with an incredible level of detail. Some of the quests will surprise you, others will defy you (enhance your game avoiding spoilers, is just a friendly advise).
    The first zones are carefully designed to guide the new player in the learning of the main mechanics of the game: the process of questing, the crafting, the combat, and the main history.
    Every zone is alive and very different, Kingsmouth is a lovecraftian sea-town of Maine, full of... you will see... Al-Merayah is a little village in Egypt by the ancients Akhenathen's ruins...
    Give the game an opportunity and enter the world of TSW... and don't let the first difficulties win you... is a game for mature players and very different from the others MMOrpgs. Different.
  48. Jul 12, 2012
    Secret societies, challenging cryptic puzzles, breath taking scenes and mind-numblingly rich character stories, dungeons and literally thousands of skill combinations to play with. I have been simply stunned by the depth of content and enjoyability of the game. Its a masterpiece, well almost.. The only thing that works against the game is the PvP system which needs some work. For aSecret societies, challenging cryptic puzzles, breath taking scenes and mind-numblingly rich character stories, dungeons and literally thousands of skill combinations to play with. I have been simply stunned by the depth of content and enjoyability of the game. Its a masterpiece, well almost.. The only thing that works against the game is the PvP system which needs some work. For a game just released it is remarkably robust. Yes, there are bugs on some quests, and with the game.. but what game didn't have them when released? As I predicted from my beta reviews this game is going to be huge simply because its the best mmo out there.. and its different too. Where other software houses have done little in the way of innovation over the years; spewing out wow clones, Funcom has created a new style of MMO that is original and incredibly absorbing.

The future of this game is extremely bright, and I would have given it 10/10 but for the PvP and they might not try hard enough to keep up the level of amazing game-play if I did that. Now, if you don't mind I have to finish learning Morse code to complete a quest.

... --- ...
  49. Jul 12, 2012
    I don't usually review things on Metacritic, but when I do, it's because they're awesome.

I'm a huge horror fan, so I've been waiting for something like this for a very long time. The setting, sound, graphics and plot are all way beyond what I've ever seen out of an MMORPG before. Also, don't mind the people complaining about the combat. The dodging is cool, and the abilities and the almost infinite ways you can sync them up are amazing.

This one takes a few hours to really get into, but it's totally worth the time. Once you get a feel for it, and you're knee-deep in zombie guts and Illuminati puzzles in Kingsmouth, you'll be glad you did.
  50. Jul 12, 2012
    The game has great graphics, story and dialogue is superb, and the open way of doing things is great. SO when you start the game it feels great. But it quickly loses its shine as you realize there is absolutley nothing unique about the game. You have seen all the creatures before, they are from fables when you were a kid. So really the game isn't bad, the quests can range from extremelyThe game has great graphics, story and dialogue is superb, and the open way of doing things is great. SO when you start the game it feels great. But it quickly loses its shine as you realize there is absolutley nothing unique about the game. You have seen all the creatures before, they are from fables when you were a kid. So really the game isn't bad, the quests can range from extremely boring, to very in depth and fun. Overall the game is extremely well put together with few flaws but that just doesn't save it to the fact the game is like a repeat of past mmo's. So i rate it a 6, great game and mechanics, poor originality. OH and that little thing they advertise about "no levels" is such a lie, you do have levels, you progress through the perk tree which makes you insanely stronger to people with lower perk points...so yeah there is leveling they just dont name it that Expand
  51. Jul 12, 2012
    The Secret World is an MMO set in a modern day atmosphere utilizing myths, folklore, and old school legends. You see them come to life as you explore and adventure through all of its environments. What may be the most detrimental feature in The Secret World is that the game does not feel like an MMO at all. Instead, the game focuses on its single player experience with elaborate cut scenesThe Secret World is an MMO set in a modern day atmosphere utilizing myths, folklore, and old school legends. You see them come to life as you explore and adventure through all of its environments. What may be the most detrimental feature in The Secret World is that the game does not feel like an MMO at all. Instead, the game focuses on its single player experience with elaborate cut scenes and character interaction. The game does a spectacular job at making you feel like a part of the world. However, the writing in general can be entirely too obnoxious. There are times you would rather skip the cut scenes explaining your mission to move on. Moreover, your character doesn't actually speak or offer any responses. You simply watch an NPC talk for anywhere on average 5 minutes. You feel no connection to your character.

After acquiring your missions, you are to complete typical menial tasks involving "gather 10 of these" or "kill 10 of these" to complete your mission. The combat is uninventive and lack luster despite having so many choices in weaponry. Animations are mostly horrid and rather out dated. There are some times you don't even know if your skill was performed. Combat doesn't make you feel like you're actually hitting something and gets old really fast. Your skills are determined by your weapons, a la Guild Wars 2, which then determine your "class." The "no classes" feature of the game is hidden by that facet as once you start equipping different weapons you clearly start seeing the specific rolls between them.

What The Secret World does well is its presentation in atmosphere. There are times that you will look at your surroundings in awe because of the wonderful graphics. It's disappointing that Funcom could not maintain top notch graphics across the board. Character modeling seems to be graphically the worst looking in the game with a Grand Theft Auto 4 resemblance. Even during cutscenes, characters perform unusual and unrealistic movements. The attention to detail seems to only be focused on the environment and your surroundings.

Outside of investigations, you have your typical quests where you are to perform a list of actions from an NPC (questgiver). These are the repetitive "grindy" quests you learn to love or hate. PVP doesn't offer anything new and is a big disappointment - partly due to the terrible combat system and mostly hindered by the lag. Character creation is an extreme disappointment. Players aren't given many choices for actual character features but are provided with a large amount of attire to adorn your character with. This makes the game seem more like a "dress up barbie" feel where everyone looks the same feature wise with different clothing.

One of the biggest "differences" Funcom announces is that they offer no levels in the game. Players are given a giant wheel to allocate their skill points. It's a clever mask to the level system and in actuality is just another way to set your talents as you secretly level up. The only difference is that you can max everything out, if you so choose and if you play enough. The player is responsible for doing their research before making a selection in skill points. If you make an incorrect decision, you're forced to live with it through the rest of your character. There is no option for a reset or "re spec" which is quite daunting.

Dungeons you ask? End game? The developer and its users claim that the moment you create your character, you're playing end game. There really is no "end game" per say and true raiding. There are dungeons but those are few and far between. Funcom promises that there will be more dungeon content added in the future. With its current stage in content, after completing your investigations you're left with daily repetitive quests and that's about it. PVP isn't worth the time and crafting in the game is just there for busy work with no reward.

Funcom is right saying that this game is a unique experience in an "MMO." Quite simply, don't be deceived by the genre that is labeled on this game. This is not an MMO. This is a single player game labeled as an MMO to somehow justify their $15/month commitment on top of the $50 product. There are no standard features in this game most MMO's offer such as a looking for dungeon tool, respeccing, or even any relevant or rewarding crafting. The intention of the developers is to have one character that experiences all the content which leaves no viability for alts; thus, this gives the game a "one time play through," much like a single player game. Overall, the game is a 2/10. If the price were to drop substantially, the game might be worth checking out for the free month. The single player is some what worth the experience but, beyond the first month, there is no justification for a subscription to this game. It simply lacks any multiplayer functionality beyond a guild (cabal) and chat system.
  52. Jul 12, 2012
    Amazing MMO, had me hooked from the go! Now bought the Grand Master pack and can see myself playing this for years to come! I'm looking forward to the upcoming content patch, should be really interesting to see what else they can do.

This is the first MMO in which I've actually been afraid when exploring an incredibly dark cave with only the torch of my mining helmet or flares. Amazing atmosphere and the cutscenes are much better than SWToR aside from the lack of interaction; but they don't need interaction, they tell you what yo need to do and are written very well. I definitely recommend anyone who loves there games making them think and use their brain to try this game, it's awesome.
  53. Jul 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's go directly to the point Okay: the game is not for everyone. It's a different kind of MMO that some people will love and be willing to spend 250 bucks for lifetime (so did i). On the other side, the game's investigation missions will challenge you up to a point where some people will simply abandon (like solving some morse code). I must also admit that the fighting part of the game is definitely not like anything you've ever seen. It's indeed a rinse and repeat finisher that some people will find boring, but it's all about personal opinion. The fact that there is a cash shop is a con though. Paying each month or 250 bucks is a shame is you need to buy more stuff into the in-game shop. Back to gameplay, the biggest pro is the group instances like Polaris. Hiding from the draug that is currently destroying the rock in your face was pretty scary but interesting. Some bugs are also annoying but the game does not deserves a 0 or a 1. Expand
  54. Jul 12, 2012
    Truly unique MMO among all MMOs, kudos to Funcom for taking the genre to a new level. Do yourself a favour and give it a try you will not be disappointed, and its only going to get better.
  55. Jul 12, 2012
    I really think the "proffesional" reviews are really unfair with this game. This is the best mmorpg i have played in postwow era. I cant beleave that games like SWTOR recieved better score, whats happening?
  56. Jul 12, 2012
    Ok so guys i know you don't want to hear this buuuut: The combat system is one of the worst combat systems EVER. You only have 7 active abilities and are limited to button mashing resource generating skills about 5 times until you can use another skill, and there also is no auto attack so you really gotta mash. Most skills are boring and only have slight differences to them (one does a bitOk so guys i know you don't want to hear this buuuut: The combat system is one of the worst combat systems EVER. You only have 7 active abilities and are limited to button mashing resource generating skills about 5 times until you can use another skill, and there also is no auto attack so you really gotta mash. Most skills are boring and only have slight differences to them (one does a bit less damage but casts faster and so on). I ended up playing this game (and i really tried using the keyboard but man it was SUCH A PAIN) with xpadder using my game pad with 2 buttons for actual combat using the makro function from xpadder. So a fight was like this: Press X on the gamepad wich corresponds to: press 2 wait 0.8 seconds press 2 wair 0.8 seconds and that 5 times then i activated a root and then 5 consumer abilites.... And no this game does not leave room for optimization since there are no procs, no abilities that need timing or such. And the feeling to the combat also is horrible, effects suck, animations are hilarious at times and it just feels like your standing there and doing nothing ( esp. in pvp). So now to the part that makes many people think this game is so special: it does not offer levels, ok sounds great right? WRONG!!!!! Levels are just replaces by QL ( quality levels from ITEMS) so this whole game ends up being about farming items... that just **** boring and since enemys don't always drop the items you need(or quests as reward) you will end up having a very **** feel to the "progession" this game offers. The skill wheel at first sight seem rather complex, let me tell you this: it is not, it is one of the worst systems i ever saw in an mmo. You farm forever to unlock abilites towards the end of a "circle" and most of the time the game leaves you absolutely no choice which abilities to combine since the active skills AND THE PASSIVES often need each other to function properly. Further the weapon system limits the systems overall "flexibility" even further. On the good sides of this game are some rare missions in which you can have adventure like game play, but the quality of those is not comparable to a GOOD adventure game! Ok but honestly, the world is gray in gray throughout kingsmouth etc, and can be very depressing at times. For like 15 hours that would be ok i guess, but man this drags on and on. PvP is a mess too: The combat system makes sure fun is destroyed after a few matches, and the battlegrounds are primitive and designed poorly . Let me remind you of one thing: MOST OF THE TIME YOU WILL BE FIGHTING IN THIS GAME, LIKE IN ANY MMO, AND COMBAT SUCKS HERE! So no matter how different this game may look, it is just more of the same and worse than most other games out there. And the new stuff is mediocre overall at best. And no the great camera angels don't help if what happens during the cut scenes isn't even worth watching them. Oh and i almost forgot: This game is a rip off: Selling life time subscriptions for a game the developer said it will be f2p in no time just seems like wanting all the cash possible before sinking the ship. AND THIS GAME HAS A REALLY EXPENSIVE INGAME SHOP FOR CHARACTER SLOTS BOOSTERS ETC!!!!! This is unbelievable and wrong for a GAME WITH A 15 DOLLAR FEE PER MONTH. Guild wars 2 is a way better game and anyone should rather buy it instead of this since IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION FEE AND A FAIR ITEM SHOP. I had so much more fun with Gw2's beta than i had with TSW after launch. I **** regret even spending one buck on this game! Expand
  57. Jul 12, 2012
    This game rocks. Some obnoxious bugs, but I'm still drawn to playing it regardless. The story is good, the progression paths and power levels are very well done, and the PvE content can be very challenging which forces you to be a better player to prosper. Also looking forward to their promised monthly content updates; I'll be playing this for a long time to come.
  58. Jul 11, 2012
    The Secret World is a breath of fresh air from traditional MMOs, I love the story focused quests, and I am highly enjoying the DANGER that lurks around every corner. Im actually DYING ...in an MMO! hasnt happened since EQ1. The quests are well thought out, the story is amazing, the investigation quests have me ripping my hair out in frustration (in a good way!). The deck system is great,The Secret World is a breath of fresh air from traditional MMOs, I love the story focused quests, and I am highly enjoying the DANGER that lurks around every corner. Im actually DYING ...in an MMO! hasnt happened since EQ1. The quests are well thought out, the story is amazing, the investigation quests have me ripping my hair out in frustration (in a good way!). The deck system is great, at first it seemed so lame, now I cant settle on ONE build I like, I want sooo many things and theres SO many ways to build what I want! Using pistols, assault rifles, and passives shotguns, blood, and blades.

Now that they just announced they will be updating the game MONTHLY, and gave us a huge sneak peak to drool over, I think FunCom has outdone itself. Its absolutely amazing.

The only negative thing I can say about this game so far is that some of the animations are HIDEOUS, and chat keeps crapping out on me. Id complain about quest bugs, but they fixed most of em in one fell swoop :P
  59. Jul 11, 2012
    So far logged about 20 hours and having a blast playing this game. Lots of nice quest out of the ordinary, not just "go there, kill **** and afterwards go to that place and pick up small rocks or something like that. Investigation missions really are a struggle and keeps you on your toes. Takes a while to get used to the "deck" system they use for skills, but there are allready starting toSo far logged about 20 hours and having a blast playing this game. Lots of nice quest out of the ordinary, not just "go there, kill **** and afterwards go to that place and pick up small rocks or something like that. Investigation missions really are a struggle and keeps you on your toes. Takes a while to get used to the "deck" system they use for skills, but there are allready starting to come around some nice starter guides that explain it, because honestly, the tutorial is chanceless in explaining the full implications of how the system works :) Expand
  60. Jul 11, 2012
    It has been a long time since an MMO has sunk its claws into me the way TSW has. Up until a couple months ago the game was barely on my radar. When I found a beta invite waiting in my inbox I figured what the heck but expected to be disappointed once again. Instead I found myself completely immersed and counting the minutes until I could play again. Now that the game has launched I can sayIt has been a long time since an MMO has sunk its claws into me the way TSW has. Up until a couple months ago the game was barely on my radar. When I found a beta invite waiting in my inbox I figured what the heck but expected to be disappointed once again. Instead I found myself completely immersed and counting the minutes until I could play again. Now that the game has launched I can say I am very impressed. Yes, there are bugs but that's just a fact of life in a new MMO. The launch was incredibly smooth and Funcom has released a patch within a week of launch addressing many, many issues. They have also posted a State of the Game update already which is full of interesting upcoming content. I am loving the questing, story/lore, atmosphere, graphics and style, skill system, combat and many other things. The crafting is a bit of a letdown and their cabal (guild) system needs some work, but overall I am in love. Expand
  61. Jul 11, 2012
    After dealing with the nightmare that was AoC's launch, I had about written off Funcom altogether.. Still, I kept casually following this game and became more and more interested, yet tried not to get drawn into the hype for fear of being let down again. Having now played dozens of hours, I can safely say that not only is this game not a let down, it's perhaps the best MMO I have played inAfter dealing with the nightmare that was AoC's launch, I had about written off Funcom altogether.. Still, I kept casually following this game and became more and more interested, yet tried not to get drawn into the hype for fear of being let down again. Having now played dozens of hours, I can safely say that not only is this game not a let down, it's perhaps the best MMO I have played in over a decade (and I have played almost all of the major ones). Funcom hit a home run with this one, and if they keep up with quality content updates then it's certain that TSW will have a very bright future. Expand
  62. Jul 11, 2012
    The Secret World is the MMO that gave me hope that the genera still has a future. While still somewhat rough around the edges, as should be expected with any MMO that just launched. But it has enjoyed a smooth launch and most of the issued tend to be minor, all in all there are so many good things about it that it is easily forgiven.

It's primary strenghts lie with it's missions and

It's primary strenghts lie with it's missions and storytelling, freeform character building and stunning visuals. The term "thinking mans MMO" has been used a lot around TSW, and while I have never quite liked the term, it is fitting. TSW as opposed to the majority of contemporary MMO's dares to let you out into the world on your own, instead of firmly holding you by the hand and leading you along. It also dares to challenge you with several aspects of the gameplay, forcing you to think for yourself or find aid with your fellow players. Be it solving a wide variety puzzles, or rethinking the build that worked great last zone but needs some serious changes to deal with the new challenges that face you next.

The game is well written and presented with plenty of care. The graphics, while for some reason often the target for criticism, is some of the sharpest in the genera.. granted you have the hardware to run it on decent settings. It's a good thing then that TSW is a lot less demanding than Funcoms last MMO, Age of Conan comparably was at launch.

I won't say that TSW is for everyone, few good MMO's ever are, but those who look for an experience that offers up something new and different I can only recommend you give it a try. Make sure you give it enough time to sink in as well, many of TSW's strengths become apparent a little bit further in. What you will find is an MMO that has it's roots firmly in the familiar but its heart in an entirely new place. It fills a necessary niche that lies somewhere in between games like WoW and it's many clones, and more advanced online games like EvE. I'm very happy to finally have a game like that.
  63. Jul 11, 2012
    Not perfect, but it's very good. Downsides are character creator, animations... Everything else is good to great. The quests are interactive, and investigation quests will sometimes make you bang your head against the wall they are so hard...
  64. Jul 11, 2012
    On the message boards for every "failed" (read: disappointing) MMO of the last 5 years, you could read one common complaint; "I'm tired of the same thing, MMOs are all boring now". Well, if you were serious and actually wanted something new and different, something that challenged you and wasn't a carbon copy of the last 5 MMOs you played, The Secret World is it. The detractors for thisOn the message boards for every "failed" (read: disappointing) MMO of the last 5 years, you could read one common complaint; "I'm tired of the same thing, MMOs are all boring now". Well, if you were serious and actually wanted something new and different, something that challenged you and wasn't a carbon copy of the last 5 MMOs you played, The Secret World is it. The detractors for this game all mention many of the same tired old complaints; it doesn't have this, it doesn't let me do that, and so forth. TO BE CLEAR: If you think an MMO absolutely must have all the "convenience" and "features" of games like World of Warcraft, this game is not for you *and I am fine with that*. To me, The Secret World has the most entertaining and challenging questing in any MMO, ever. That's more than enough for me; I don't care about PvP, and I don't care about ENDGAME, that poisonous concept that ruins every MMO it's grafted onto. Bottom line? The Secret World is a journey with awesome areas to explore, and fantastic investigation quests that challenge you and make you think BIG TIME. If you're the kind of player who has to be the first to get to the end of a game, this isn't for you. If you want to exploit overpowered abilities and look like a demigod, this isn't for you. The Secret World is for people who want to explore and use their noggins. Period. Expand
  65. Jul 11, 2012
    A lot of quests in TSW feels like a short story that could stand on it's own. I love the writing, the props, the atmosphere and the sound. I like how they mix in a lot of different mechanics into the quests to keep the game fun. The graphics are really great with dx11 and tessellation and I am running a 6 year old machine where I have only upgraded memory and graphics card.
  66. Jul 10, 2012
    Created an account just to put my two cents in on this game. It's pretty great. The size and depth of the skill system makes skill builds comparable to constructing a Magic:The Gathering deck. NPC dialogue and voicing is uniformly excellent, which I have never said about any game. I actually want to listen to the NPCs. It's amazing how much this adds to an already well-done atmosphereCreated an account just to put my two cents in on this game. It's pretty great. The size and depth of the skill system makes skill builds comparable to constructing a Magic:The Gathering deck. NPC dialogue and voicing is uniformly excellent, which I have never said about any game. I actually want to listen to the NPCs. It's amazing how much this adds to an already well-done atmosphere and visual style. Tons of content. The game systems and UI are complex and explained poorly or not at all in-game, and there are a few buggy quests, which is all that keeps me from giving a straight 10. I expect these issues to be fixed quickly, given how smoothly launch has gone. Game has HUGE potential. If you're interested, trust the user scores and not the critics. Game is flat-out fun to play. Expand
  67. Jul 10, 2012
    This game is great. I read at least one review where the complainer had to take the chance to show off how "great" his computer is but he still cant run it...Idk about that, my computer isnt that fancy, (the cpu actually is a lower than recommended) and it runs just fine. There is a little lag sometimes but I think that is common with a lot of MMOs, especially on my internet lol. AnywayThis game is great. I read at least one review where the complainer had to take the chance to show off how "great" his computer is but he still cant run it...Idk about that, my computer isnt that fancy, (the cpu actually is a lower than recommended) and it runs just fine. There is a little lag sometimes but I think that is common with a lot of MMOs, especially on my internet lol. Anyway The ones that gave this game a bad review had their minds made up before they even played it. This is a great game and if you get into it expecting something new then you are going to be blown away, if you go into it wanting something like WoW then it is not the game for you. The story aspect of it is great and it is nice to see implemented this well in a genre that usually lacks story. I saw a few people complaining about the fact that there is so much focus on the story aspect of the game which confuses me...In console games gamers demand a great storytelling experience (unless you're a CoD fanboy and in that case you don't count for so many reasons...but this about TSW not CoD) so why should an MMO be held to less standards? This game gives some badly needed CPR to a genre that is getting kind of stale...you can only get so many characters to level 80 or play so many WoW clones before you realize you are completing random quests that have little to no depth to them and have no real purpose in that gaming world. It is hard to get immersed in a game that gives you little purpose or doesn't make you feel like you are actually accomplishing something with your character. The story in TSW gives you a purpose. The game also gives fresh new types of quests, challenging combat, fun pvp (admittedly still needs some work but its only been out 1 week), amazing setting, and great voice acting. There is innovation everywhere in this game and it is the best MMO I have played (and yes I have played Tera, WoW, Rift, SWtOR etc..) Expand
  68. Jul 10, 2012
    I've been waiting for this game for over three years and it has not disappointed. The setting, story concept, design, and character skill customization is unlike anything else out there. I would highly recommend this to any MMO player especially to those who are looking for an MMO to come back to.
  69. Jul 10, 2012
    I couldnt really believe it - Funcom released a close to flawless game(!) I couldnt hardly find any bugs, and no major ones. The history, missions, great voice acting, the skill-tree, crafting and the modern world setting is both original and intriguing, so this game works for me! I did only try one beta weekend before the launch and ive been playing about +/- 100hrs so far. I recommend it!
  70. Jul 10, 2012
    If you want to run from A to B and just kill stuff dont even bother to pick up this game...go back to whatever old mmorpg you are playing.

I wil go so far to call this a mmorpg for adults, the missions you are doing are so wel presented it would be a singleplayer RPG game. The world is so interesting and well designed and it's is a JOY to finaly feel the urge to walk around the next corner to take a peek....and the next and the...wel you know.

This game wil get alot of hate becaus it does things diffrent, and it wil not be the next fix for many mmo players out there that are stuck in old school mmo style games. This is just 1 of a handfull of new mmorgp games that are making way to the future of mmorpg games.

And I urge you to take the trip in The Secret World as it is a journey like non before.
  71. Jul 10, 2012
    THIS GAME IS EVERYTHING I DIDN'T THINK I COULD GET IN AN MMORPG!!!!
    THIS GAME IS EVERYTHING I DIDN'T THINK I COULD GET IN AN MMORPG!!!!
    This game has got to get a 10 from me. The subject matter is great, the setting is excellent, and the missions are fresh and well crafted. The combat, although admittedly not the strongest aspect of the game, is still very responsive and fun as well as easy to learn but hard to master. This is not an MMO for people who want another WoW clone that holds your hand through quests and allows you to slam your face on the keyboard to beat every enemy that comes your way (aka the people that give this game a bad rating) People claim they want innovation in video games, well The Secret World has innovation in spades. So far some of the biggest complaints I have heard are that it is hard, there are bugs, and that it is story based. Yes this harder than most MMOs but thats what makes it fun. The fighting makes you think out your battles before you run in guns blazing (sometimes literally in this game) and because of this feels more rewarding when you do succeed. As for the puzzles and investigative missions, THEY ARE PHENOMENAL!!! They are tough and definitely make you think but they are such a new twist on the normal quests you see in the genre and are extremely fun to play through. They are hard and are meant to challenge you, that is why FunCom put a web browser in game. As for the bugs issue, what new MMO have they played that was released completely bug free?? The fact of the matter is that MMOs are difficult to make and it is impossible to foretell bugs that might be found in the game, on the other hand FunCom has done an EXCELLENT job in addressing these issues and has already had one fixer patch put into place and is already planning for another patch to come out soon. They are responding quickly to problems that the players point out and that shows that they genuinely are doing their best to make the experience the best that it can be for the players. As for the complaints about it being story driven, I don't know what else to say other than to go back to WoW. If you don't want a very interesting story with great voice acting then this is not the game for you. The game is replayable with the 3 different factions and even if the missions are inherently the same between the 3 there is so much content and the game is so fun that it is easily replayable, not to mention the elite and nightmare dungeons, lairs, 24 world bosses, and 3 regional bosses that are there for endgame content or the fact that FunCom has 7 YEARS of content planned for release. They have thought ahead and plan to expand on an already vast and interesting world. There are also plenty of achievements to strive for for achievement hunters as well as hundreds of pieces of "lore" (this games version of collectibles) to hunt for and learn more about the urban legends and history of the locations in game. I can't say enough good things about this game and I sincerely hope it does well. There are definitely shortcomings with bugs and the combat but the overall experience definitely outweighs these. I implore you to give this game a try and see that MMOs can be deep enjoyable experiences and more than just WoW clones. I love WoW but it is nice to finally see something new in the genre, I just hope the fact that it is "different" doesn't scare gamers away, GO TRY THIS GAME NOW!!!!:)
  72. Jul 10, 2012
    My review is that I have been playing it every waking hour for the last 4 days and cannot stop!

I have been playing MMO's since EQ1 and had given up on the genre after the SWTOR debacle. It is a bit like an adventure game MMO (like Monkey Island opnline or something). If you do not like puzzles or adventure games then you will probably not be hooked like I am. I was getting really really sick of the "kill 10 rats" quests in other games and this game solves that problem.

It is worth buying even for the month of obsessive fun you will have. I am unsure how it will work out as a subscription offer on a monthly basis, but am prepared to give it a couple of months to see if it does. It is giving me many more hours fun than a night out at the bar and is much cheaper.

They are giving out buddy keys, so check with a friend if you want to try before you buy.
  73. Jul 10, 2012
    This game is beautiful !!! No game can be compare !!!! Its a unique one !! I would recommend this to all people who is mmo fan and want hard play and have fun with good people !!! Try it its excellent !!!!!
  74. Jul 10, 2012
    Game of the year! Fantastic atmosphere, great questing and beatiful visuals and music. This is also a game with huge potential, as there is a wealth of myths and legends waiting to be brought into the game. I came from SWTOR, and this is so much better. Recommended for everyone able to immerse themselves in a game. I got the lifetime subscription ;)
  75. Jul 9, 2012
    Simply Put: Great Game with lots of innovation. The Best MMORPG I've played to date. That list includes Warhammer Online, Eve Online, World Of Warcraft, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, SWTOR, Tera, Rift and probably a few more.

Character customisation is amazingly thorough - You have hundreds of abilities you can pick and choose from, and every player in the game is limited to 7 active and 7 passive abilites to equalise players and to force people to choose roles - although you can change your role as soon as you're out of combat. So One Minute you're a healer, the next you're the Main Tank and a few moments later you're the highest DPS character out there - and its all the same character!. You can pick and choose exactly what abilities you want to have, and exactly where you're strengths and weaknesses are. I chose an AOE Tank (Swords + Chaos) where my weaknesses were single target DPS, healing and ranged attacks. My mate chose healing and single target ranged DPS (Blood and Pistols) where his weakness was primarily AOE DPS and Damage Mitigation. That said, a few hours of gameplay to get more points, and We could completely swap roles. That being said, expect to spend some time wondering "what is the next ability I want to unlock"... At one stage I had 102 points I hadn't put into skills because I couldnt make up my mind (the cheapest skills are 1 point, the most expensive are 50 points)

Hostile creatures also display their AOE shapes and ranges which permits an effective use of the "dodge" system where you can double tap a directional arrow (or shift+WASD) to quickly roll out of the way. This allows any player, regardless of how much experience they have in the game or with that particular creature, to fight effectively. You don't need to "Learn the Fight" as much as previous MMORPG's, and thus you can lose yourself in the fight a lot easier, not having to worry about what else is happening around you - its all on your screen right there in front of you!

You can wear a good variety of clothing (which has nothing to do with stats) and your gear that gives you stats are NOT visible - except your weapons - so you choose your look, keep it, change it... whatever. I played a female, bought a nice leather coat (with in-game money - not RL money), new boots, jeans, shirt and sunnies, and now she's breaking hearts AND bones.

Then theres the quest system - theres thousands of quests and all neatly organised into Tiers. For example - you pick up a quest and it says "Dawn of the Endless Night 1/16" which lets you know the quest name, and that there's 16 missions in that chain - which all auto update as you complete each section. There is a questlog, although you rarely need to use it as you're restricted in the number of quests you can hold - but this should be considered a feature. In all my time playing, i've never felt restricted by this, but actually felt more organised as it does away with all the clutter of quests you forget about. Theres an amazing variety too - the normal "kill people" or "Pickup these objects" but theres also "Dodge the landmines", "Use these clues and the Internet to work out the answer", "Find the hidden objects", "climb the geography" and a myriad of other quest types not normally found in MMORPG's. Add that to the fact you can easily go back and re-complete most quests again (after a day or two cooldown) for a significant amount of XP, It allows you to introduce new friends to the game without rolling new alts.

Meeting up with freinds is easy, just right click their name and select "meet up" and you'll teleport to the nearest Anima well (AKA: Graveyard) to them. You'll also teleport to their Dimension (AKA: Server) if they are on another Dimension.

There are a number of bugs, but that is to be expected in any new release. None are game breaking and most of the quest related bugs can be worked around by changing dimension (similar to changing server - except you can do it in-game without logging out)

Overall: A Solid Game which will only get better. If you enjoy the MMORPG Genre this is definately a Must-Get, even if only to see all the innovation which can be brought into the genre.
  76. Jul 9, 2012
    This game is amazing! It is original, difficult, interesting, and engrossing. I think of The Secret World as an alternate reality. You will complete quests in real world locales where urban legends come to life. Additionally, quests in the game feel like they have real meaning. Not just a random quest to grind and level up. Story telling and voice overs are fantastic. Some questsThis game is amazing! It is original, difficult, interesting, and engrossing. I think of The Secret World as an alternate reality. You will complete quests in real world locales where urban legends come to life. Additionally, quests in the game feel like they have real meaning. Not just a random quest to grind and level up. Story telling and voice overs are fantastic. Some quests also require external research. You might be asked about something concerning a famous real world composer (which you can research with the in-game browser) or be asked to decode real Morse code. Of course you can cheat and look up the answers but sometimes doing some true critical thinking to solve the investigations and riddles is 1/2 the fun in this game. Only reason I didn't give the game a 10 is that it is lacking certain features that have become common place in MMO's like a looking for group system for dungeons and there are still some glitches being worked out. However, the good greatly outpaces the bad. This game is very polished considering the state that most MMO's launch in and is absolutely worth the price. As long as the game continues to develop as ingeniously as the original content I will be a player for years to come. Expand
  77. Jul 9, 2012
    I really tried to like this game. I can usually forgive a newly launched game a few bugs, but this is too much. I consistently felt that the developers were in over their heads, and trying to dress up five year old graphics. Animations are crude. The game crashed regularly (on a new machine). Occasionally I got dropped into a no mans land with nothing to do but restart. Combine that withI really tried to like this game. I can usually forgive a newly launched game a few bugs, but this is too much. I consistently felt that the developers were in over their heads, and trying to dress up five year old graphics. Animations are crude. The game crashed regularly (on a new machine). Occasionally I got dropped into a no mans land with nothing to do but restart. Combine that with game mechanics that feel awkward, even cut and pasted, and the few "innovations" of the game mean little. I tried several decks. Gradually, you realize they all function exactly the same way (no matter your build, you keep doing the same things). I also tried each faction, but found that they are all essentially the same (even the "decks" are exactly the same; you would think each faction would have its own type of character builds, but no: "cut and pasted"). The so-called "puzzle" gameplay is just a novelty. It gets old, like the rest of the game. I had lots of fun with their "Age of Conan", so this was a real disappointment. I do not see this game surviving long. Expand
  78. Jul 9, 2012
    I've been playing MMO's since UO Beta back in 97. TSW was the first game that actually got me to learn the lore and go through the quests while listening to them. It's intelligent - challenging - and has plenty of tongue in cheek references for all of us who love science fiction / horror.

Try it and get into the story. You wont regret it - Guaranteed hours of fun.
  79. Jul 9, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs for over a decade now, and not since the original iteration of SWG has a game stunned me the way Secret World has. This MMO sets itself apart from a field of rather lackluster and dated games in every way. The combat is fantastic, coupled with a skill-based leveling system that lets you create a truly unique build. The world that Funcom has created for this game isI've been playing MMOs for over a decade now, and not since the original iteration of SWG has a game stunned me the way Secret World has. This MMO sets itself apart from a field of rather lackluster and dated games in every way. The combat is fantastic, coupled with a skill-based leveling system that lets you create a truly unique build. The world that Funcom has created for this game is mind-blowing, and the attention to detail is nothing short of incredible. Having experienced the dreadful AoC launch, I was incredibly wary that this game would suffer a similar fate, but to my surprise it has had the smoothest launch of any MMO I've ever played. I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking to break away from the typical WoW-like MMOs, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  80. Jul 9, 2012
    I've bought TSW just for "kill the time". After some days, i had to admit that it is one of the best MMO i've played in a long time. "Think out of the box" is the key for TSW, since you can surely enjoy killing stuff in your OWN way with a totally customizable ability tree (wich is a wheel, actually), but you HAVE to THINK when playing it. I found myself doing research, calling a friendI've bought TSW just for "kill the time". After some days, i had to admit that it is one of the best MMO i've played in a long time. "Think out of the box" is the key for TSW, since you can surely enjoy killing stuff in your OWN way with a totally customizable ability tree (wich is a wheel, actually), but you HAVE to THINK when playing it. I found myself doing research, calling a friend asking "Ehi man, what you about Morse Code? I'm stucked with a quest!" (followed by his "what in the...?"), checking wikipedia, youtube, and more in order to complete the quests, wich are, together with the mood and the versatile combat, the awesome part of this, by me, innovative and very, very smart MMORPG.

P.s. the main char can't talk (yeah, sad) but the NPC dialogs are something...stunning and charming

I admit it: this game is a piece of art.
  81. Jul 9, 2012
    This is a great game for grown ups. Has content for both solo and team play. Fun quests and interesting character development. A lot to learn about. Must have!
  82. Jul 9, 2012
    I purchased this game without knowing much about it. And now i must say : i am a happy customer. The Secret world takes questing to a whole new level by introducing investigation for the first time in a MMo. Forget the typical kill 5 wolves quest. This game will not take you by the hand as it forces you to think. It's a clever game and other developers should learn from this quest system.I purchased this game without knowing much about it. And now i must say : i am a happy customer. The Secret world takes questing to a whole new level by introducing investigation for the first time in a MMo. Forget the typical kill 5 wolves quest. This game will not take you by the hand as it forces you to think. It's a clever game and other developers should learn from this quest system. The ability system is also well though and allows you to customise your play-style to create a unique character. Dungeons look nice and also offer a good challenge with proper rewards. My only complains are the poor character animations and PvP. PvP at this point is not the backbone of this game as it offers nothing new to the table, and is rather unstable at the moment. If you are looking for an MMo to do quests and dungeons, the secret world is the game you're looking for. If PvP is the only thing you are after, don't bother, GW2 is just around the corner and they are other games such as EvE online that offer a much better PvP experience than TSW. Expand
  83. Jul 9, 2012
    Been playing this game for almost 80 hours now (and only about 1/4 done) and have to say it is has been one of the most thrilling mmo experience i have ever had.
    Also the playerbase atleast on Arcadia seems to be mostly mature and very little whiners and gold spammers (atleast yet). Congratulations are in order to both Ragnar and Funcom for delivering this masterpiece :-) A++
  84. Jul 8, 2012
    Let me get some things clear - I don't like Funcom. I didn't like anything they've done except The Longest Journey and that was bloody ages ago. I was 100% convinced The Secret World will be a mess, unplayable and idiotic game with no depth. Boy was I wrong.
    This is the thinking gamer's MMO. It's not WoW and twitch-generation 11 YO kiddies who like to parade their shiny armors on the Orgrimmar bank won't like it. It's a game that doesn't place emphasis on loot, on raiding, on e-peen. It's a game where you'll enjoy the atmosphere, the GREAT writing in quests, the stories it tells. It's a game where you won't be forced to play a strict healer/tank/DPS role to be effective. It's a game where you can ultimately have any skills you want and make your own builds.
    If you're looking for something that no AAA MMO has been since WoW came out... buy it.
  85. Jul 8, 2012
    I went into the Secret World wanting to like the game. Since the game was announced a few years ago, I have followed it's development, curious to see where the game would be taken. After playing it for the first time during the game's beta, I was excited to see what the game had to offer. I was not impressed. The story was interesting, but the game itself just doesn't hold up to a modernI went into the Secret World wanting to like the game. Since the game was announced a few years ago, I have followed it's development, curious to see where the game would be taken. After playing it for the first time during the game's beta, I was excited to see what the game had to offer. I was not impressed. The story was interesting, but the game itself just doesn't hold up to a modern standard. The game's story is somewhat interesting, but the combat mechanics did not hold my attention enough for me to get very far in the beta. At it's release just a few days ago, I tried again. I really did want to like the game, and I was able to excuse some of the previous flaws I had seen based on the fact that I had been playing a beta. But the same weak combat just could not hold my attention. The game was very ambitious, but when it comes down to it, The Secret World doesn't have enough to offer in today's MMO saturated market. Expand
  86. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since ~2005. This is the first MMO that hasn't felt like a chore to me - it's a solid game without the MMO, and even better with it. Is it revolutionary? No, not really. But it's not just another WoW-clone, either. Contrary to what some are saying, the combat is quite fluid and fun, and the flexibility in character development adds a lot to it. No need to makeI've been playing MMOs since ~2005. This is the first MMO that hasn't felt like a chore to me - it's a solid game without the MMO, and even better with it. Is it revolutionary? No, not really. But it's not just another WoW-clone, either. Contrary to what some are saying, the combat is quite fluid and fun, and the flexibility in character development adds a lot to it. No need to make multiple characters for different classes - just develop what interests you. You can max everything on one character. As others have mentioned, the story is just leaps and bounds above other MMOs. There's a bit too many solo instances, but not enough to really dampen the fun of group questing.

Negatives: the inventory system is HORRID (grid based, and lots of similar looking icons. no sorting). Crafting, while fun, is somewhat pointless (as you'll generally get gear drops that are better, and crafting requires kits which don't drop until after the item you'd make with them stops becoming useful. When they add the trading post, this will not be an issue.) PvP is sort of a mixed bag - one of the modes is just a lackluster, laggy, non fun deathmatch, while the other encourages more group play, but is still sort of spotty on the fun factor. I imagine a lot of this will get better over time.

Honestly, my biggest complaint right now is probably the monthly fee is pretty high.
  87. Jul 8, 2012
    Best MMOs in years! Very nice setting, cool quest et cetera. And the best lauch of them all. Since its a Funcom game, I guess you can say practice made perfect!
  88. Jul 8, 2012
    Very good mmo with a nice mix of combat and story. I know that some people will complain about the description but it feels like a single player arpg with a very good cooperative multiplayer feature. Mmo fanatics who want to quickly reach max level and do PvP will be disappointed but this game is just about perfect for immersing yourself in a game world.
  89. Jul 8, 2012
    An incredible new spin in an increasingly stale genre. Like the fluid mechanics of Guild Wars 2 mated with the environment of Silent Hill, all while wearing a tinfoil hat. It may not be the WoW-killer everyone seems to so desperately need, but it does one better: It does it's own thing and allows all the WoW-clones to limp about their sorry business undisturbed. If nothing else, give it aAn incredible new spin in an increasingly stale genre. Like the fluid mechanics of Guild Wars 2 mated with the environment of Silent Hill, all while wearing a tinfoil hat. It may not be the WoW-killer everyone seems to so desperately need, but it does one better: It does it's own thing and allows all the WoW-clones to limp about their sorry business undisturbed. If nothing else, give it a shot right up until the first Investigation quest. From then on, Im confident you will be hooked. Expand
  90. Jul 8, 2012
    TSW has a great atmosphere and a well written story. At times it feels a bit like a single-player game (story-telling and some single player instances), but it is most certainly an MMO (Dungeons, PvP, group content). It manages to combine this in a fascinating way.

The quests are never boring. My favourite part of the game so far are the dungeons though. The boss mechanics are amazing fun and good rewards are provided for groups that work together in the form of quality loot and ability + skill points. It makes a lot of sense to run the dungeons!

If you like PvE/dungeons that are challenging and fun I HIGHLY recommend this game.
    The combat is standard MMO-combat, but with an ability system of 500+ abilities that makes it MUCH more fun and deep than the first impression may provide.

In my opinion the games weakest spot so far is that the first few hours spent in the game feel unfamiliar and a bit underwhelming when it comes to combat. This is because you have a low number of abilities at your disposal and no flexibility. I believe reviews that highlight combat as a weak point in the game unfortunately only scratched the surface of choices and flexibility before spewing a premature review.
  91. Jul 8, 2012
    The Secret World is a very unique Massively-Multiplayer Online game that I have enjoyed playing more than any other MMO to date. As such, I give it a 10!

The imaginative life breathed into the game world really impressed me. I have never seen a game that was this well executed before. Launch-day issues seem also to be very minimal compared with other recent releases, so they've really pulled it all together and were able to deliver.

If you don't know, much of the vision behind the Secret World came from Ragnar Tornquist and his team, the people who created The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Those were, to date, two of the best adventure games on the market, known for their remarkable story and environments. So, when they announced an MMO and picked up a crew experienced in creating them, I was of course very interested to see how it would turn out. The, let us call it "adventure-focus", translated into some really exceptional and unique quests that are very fun to complete, and a meaningful world replete with characters and monsters that are not arbitrarily placed.

One of the areas I was concerned about was combat, since adventure games typically don't focus on that and it's such an important element of MMOs. Well, after playing about 12 hours and dispatching countless minions of darkness, I can say that they delivered! It shocked me that the combat system was so well thought out and executed, it's actually engaging and fun - something I haven't experienced at all in other MMOs. There are currently just over 500 abilities you can train and build your skill deck with (which can consist of seven active and seven passive skills at a time). For different combat situations, you may need to use different skill builds with different synergies to accommodate.

The crafting system is quite different than other MMOs, and is one system which perhaps could use some expanding. There are no gathering professions, per say, and everyone can break down items into their raw materials and then combine those raw materials to upgrade their quality or create different items. I haven't spent too much time there, yet, so I will reserve my judgment on it.

Overall, a great and unique MMO. If you haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to take the plunge!
  92. Jul 8, 2012
    I have played MMOs since UO. By the early days of WoW, I was burned out. Nothing was new. This game brought me back to MMOs, and the overall quality will keep me for a while. It is unlike anything else out there in the MMO-space. Sure, there are problems. Every game has them. As I am writing this just 6-days after release, it is the smoothest MMO release I have ever seen. Most importantly,I have played MMOs since UO. By the early days of WoW, I was burned out. Nothing was new. This game brought me back to MMOs, and the overall quality will keep me for a while. It is unlike anything else out there in the MMO-space. Sure, there are problems. Every game has them. As I am writing this just 6-days after release, it is the smoothest MMO release I have ever seen. Most importantly, they recognize and have acknowledged some of the game's biggest remaining issues. Which means, they will get fixed. That level of support for a game is refreshing. Having gone through too many game release debacles, from PC games to PS3 to XBox360, I am pleased to not see it here. They have acknowledged the problems, and will not let them build. Expand
  93. Jul 8, 2012
    No, this game is not for everyone but it is for those who seek a strong story, powerful atmosphere, a helpful and growing community and puzzling quests that will stretch your mind. As with any launch, there have been bugs but they have been fixing the glitches. Anyone worried about the cash shop should know it is clothes, vanity pets and vanity titles only. There are no potions or weaponsNo, this game is not for everyone but it is for those who seek a strong story, powerful atmosphere, a helpful and growing community and puzzling quests that will stretch your mind. As with any launch, there have been bugs but they have been fixing the glitches. Anyone worried about the cash shop should know it is clothes, vanity pets and vanity titles only. There are no potions or weapons or armor to P2P. Expand
  94. Jul 8, 2012
    Most of the people dont understand the game, i blame at a certain point Funcom for not giving a proper tour to the world in what really is TSW, and i think TSW is ahead of time and is really a unique genre inside the mmo universe these days. And reading ignorant reviews form suposed trusted sites confirms that the game is not for "donkeys", pardon my language.

This is not just a

This is not just a ordinary and common mmo, sure it takes alot of the common mechanics and structure of others but if wasnt like that you couldnt called a mmo, and thats where ends the similarity.

We have no levels, a ton of skills to build the most variety of decks, every mob is unique and people have to read their buffs and debuffs to understand in how to safely kill it, for example i had this quest in the starting zone to kill few npc´s, theres one of them who had a particular debuff that always killed me...until i look at it and understand that if i do the opposite was a easy kill, now how many mmos out there works with this kind of mechanics in a simple mob in todays market?

Puzzles, investigation quests, TSW is a game that you have to immerse yourself into it to understand, its like thoes games from old where they dont "hold your hand" and you have to use your brain to survive, every kill is a reward, little nuincances here and there that is contantly testing you, great story, most interactive characters have their own personalities and the game have a great story to follow.

Im in The City Of The Sun God at this point, and i tried to make a new character just to see how replayable was the content i left behind from a new character, and to my surprise wasnt boring, in fact i dicover new quests that i didnt made, i got into new places and find myself to add markers in the map so i didnt forget things, thats how big the world is and detailed, every corner of the game is a box of surprises, i personaly love the game for what it is and what it can be, i played so many games at this point that most of the new ones todays i usualy click out of story so i can pass to action asap, i was doing the same with TSW but at a certain point i stoped rushing, not because was boring, because all detalis i was leaving behind was making aitch in my brain of curiosity, and taking a slow pace i was smilling for all that content that i wasnt paying attention.

And what about dungeons? Oh boy, they are smart and will kill you if you dont use your brain to understand how it works, off course most people might want to zerg the content and get to the end, its ok and i can get that, but TSW is not a common "lollypop" mmo where you OP everything, and im glad for it, the more i respect the game the more im rewarded, and i feel good and enjoy the journey that Funcom provived, i just hope the game is given the proper support and Funcom keeps working in fixing and improving the game, this a rought diamond here that now just needs to be polished.

Pardon my english, not my native language.
  95. Jul 8, 2012
    A reviewer named 'samdean' gave this game 0 because he thinks it has classes, levels, and is linear. Well, earning skill points ad infinitum that you can spend anywhere and theoretically do anything the game allows isn't 'classes and levels.' Further, I haven't TOUCHED the main quest on the island yet, I just keep running across new side things to do. It's really great! Finally this guyA reviewer named 'samdean' gave this game 0 because he thinks it has classes, levels, and is linear. Well, earning skill points ad infinitum that you can spend anywhere and theoretically do anything the game allows isn't 'classes and levels.' Further, I haven't TOUCHED the main quest on the island yet, I just keep running across new side things to do. It's really great! Finally this guy who gave the game a zero said he's going back to Diablo III. Hilarious! That game is terrrrrible! Zero funs! I uninstalled after like a month! And I played Diablo II for years, and even Diablo. Anyway, just had to counter that terrible review with the truth. This game is amazing. Combine Left 4 Dead with Alan Wake and make it an MMO and this is what you have. Don't believe the AstroTurf on this site, and don't believe the terribly written euro pro reviews. Expand
  96. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in orderIt is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  97. Jul 8, 2012
    Best MMO since i played Everquest 1. Very great Storyline and Lore, well i love the mix between HP. Lovecraft, Steven King, Conspiracy and Bedtime Horror Stories.
    The Combat-System has very smooth Animations, it's really Fun to watch. It's easy to play too if you got into the Skills. 7 Active and Passive Skills makes the Stuff very easy to Handle. The Skill-Wheel is a bit hard to understand if you're not reading the Description from each Skill.

All in all : Really one of the Best MMO's since a long very long Time. Thanks Funcom !
  98. Jul 8, 2012
    Ok time for review number 2. After playing a bit longer:
    Ok time for review number 2. After playing a bit longer:
    Quests and atmoshpere are nice, but the engine is so unoptimised its hard to enjoy FPS choppiness in this game's multiplayer aspects... PvP is a lagfest beyond timing controll. The particles seems to give my GPU a heart attack there. Maybe its due to 1920x1200 resolution with v-sync on, but hey... why should it not be playable on gaming rigs? Plenty of players uses monitors bigger than 720p native nowadays so it should be optimised for them aswell. Son in sum...
    With computer like mine:

- 1920x1200 res with v-sync ON (to get rid of tearing)
    - gtx 480 video card (better than gtx 570 bear in mind)
    - i5 2500K 3,3Ghz overclocked to higher rates by motherboard when its stressed
    - 8 gigs of fast ram

you will be able to play smoothly only while questing, only with advanced visuals options set to "1" (right next to "0" out of "5"), and light details totally turned off (so no shadows). Seems game is really made for 720p small resolutions and non-demanding players who are satisfied with mediocre FPS and only some pve in a game.
  99. Jul 7, 2012
    Offers a different spin on the formula that does just enough to excite this mmo old hand into writing a review. The story is both terrific and terrible in pieces some quests and environments will have you on the edge of your seat to see what's next others will have you cringing (The secret world must be a secret to a hermet living in a cave with fingers in his ears singing loudly becauseOffers a different spin on the formula that does just enough to excite this mmo old hand into writing a review. The story is both terrific and terrible in pieces some quests and environments will have you on the edge of your seat to see what's next others will have you cringing (The secret world must be a secret to a hermet living in a cave with fingers in his ears singing loudly because everyone else in game is well aware of it's existence) The combat is the standard combo point affair we all associate with rogues. Where the game really shines is it's deck system which allows you to make your own class out of a dizzying selection of weapon classes. In short if you like the trinity game play of healer, tank, dps with dungeons, pvp and end game content you'll probably love this as it does enough different to hold your interest. If you were hoping for a re-invented wheel then I'd wait until someone combines swtor's story telling teras combat and guild wars. Until then this is an excellent way to spend your time. Expand
  100. Jul 7, 2012
    The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance,The first MMORPG out there to use DirectX 11's Tessellation to the fullest extent. Instantly you can notice the beauty rendered by your hard working top of the line graphics cards. This game is a love letter to those of us who push the envelope of the tech industry. It's not another EverQuest mockup with cartoon character's and a plushie market to die for. This game actually has substance, it requires human beings to use their brains, and think about what they're doing. No hand holding, no compromises, and a story that makes Bioware look pathetic are what ties this game together, flaws and all. Sure, there are launch bugs, there are some quests that loop, but they are but small smudges on the beautiful tapestry that Funcom has woven. This is what Age of Conan should have been, and now we have the first modern day MMORPG that firmly looks at critics who prefer spoon fed versions of World of Warcraft and spits in their faces. Go on, give it a 60, give it a low user score, only the ignorant would throw stones at their superior's. Expand

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.