The Secret World PC

8.3

1. Jul 18, 2012
    Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game.Since quitting wow quite some time ago, no mmorpg has really held my attention long. This game is different though. From the beginning I realized that this was something else. The attention to story and new gameplay mechanics really separates this game from other mmorpgs. It's not difficult to notice that Ragnar Tornquist, maker of the longest journey has had a hand in making this game. Everything from the main quest to the side-quests has an engrossing story.

The 550 or so abilities you have to choose from gives the game a strategic twist, since it becomes increasingly important to have a good build. You can also quickly swap roles from a healer to a damage dealer without much effort. The combat itself involves hitting a lot of 1, 1, 1, 2 etc. like other mmorpgs, so it might not be as different as some have hoped. The concept of builders and consumers are pretty good, but not completely new. The underlying abilities/mechanics however are very good.

There is a main storyline leading you from the beginning to the end, something that gives you a good overview of the locations. It is also well written, and exciting, weaving old legends and history into the story.

The thing I think I like the most are the investigation missions, where you have to google for clues about ancient history, mysteries etc. You can even use the in-game browser. The fact that you have to think, and that aha! moments that follow really makes this something else. There are some bugs, but this has impacted my enjoyment very little. Some quests have been bugged, but some have been fixed in patches, and others have worked when I came back. Since mmorpgs are living games, and these issues are being worked on, I won't really detract anything from the score.

For those worrying about the longevity of this game, don't. There will be monthly updates with new content, mechanics etc. I've gotten my lifetime subscription, will you?
  2. X0R
    Aug 1, 2012
    This is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issuesThis is actually a really funMMO. Reminds me of many different games, and yet is totally original. Has some complex elements, definitely not a boring POS like WoW, SWTOR or other MMOs that have released in the last couple years. I won't go into details, since there's a lot of stuff out there you can research yourself before trying it, TSW website being a good start. It has minor issues that I expect a new MMO launch to have, but none ever frustrate me or make me want to quit - I need to take a week off from work to soak it up. Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2012
    This game was quite the surprise for me. First of this is a game by Funcom, which doesn
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    It is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in orderIt is always an ungrateful task to write a review on MMO game without playing it for at least a year. No one needs one after such amount of time, but on other hand this game is meant to be played for long periods of time, it is a trademark of a genre. TSW looks solid as it is right now, but its not a final verdict for a game. One must experience a lot more of an endgame content in order to make final decisions about success or fail of a particular MMO. First thing that catches the eye in TSW is the fact that it is heavily story driven game. There are tons of cut-scenes, lore, quest diversity and so on. If you want to expirience this dark, gritty world make sure you do it solo, without rushing through quests and take maximum of the storytelling - it's worth it. Combat is far from idial but it is tolerable. I havent tried whole lot of PvP but from what i've seen it is really far from idial. In PvE scenario, combat feels nice overall, but yet again, alot of abilities require tweaking.
    Character progression is a breed apart. No levels, no classes but there is still XP and abilities to learn. 525 abilities to be exact. I would not say that all 525 of them are unique. Some of them look really simmilar, but noone will argue that every skill tree feels different when played, and even more unique when combined with any other weapon type.
    Visually game looks good. I personally liked photo realistic graphics. I'm sick of all these stylyzed MMO's already. But although engine is good, it lacks optimization. Even on top gaming rig i expirience random FPS drops from 60 to 2, and fusang pvp zone can be nightmare at times. Speaking of technical side of project, game is full of bugs. No, not gamebreaking bugs, but alot of small bugs that make you unable to finish a nice quest, make you stuck in textures or forcing you to reset whole dungeons because boss becomes unkillable. As a conclusion: TSW is definitely a good game. Investigation quests, nice boss mechanics, pretty high difficulty level of starting content - all this makes this game shine and gives you alot of fun. But yet again there is a technical side of the game. And there is shroud of darkness around endgame content. For now its a great expirience. What this game will become in, lets say, a year to come? Nobody knows.
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    Engaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery andEngaging and wonderful world, with quests well written and superb dialogue. This game brings RPG back into mmorpg. I haven't played a game this deep since Vampire Bloodlines. The game isn't perfect when it comes to bugs (I've been playing at release though, so it's to be expected), but I would still highly recommend this to anyone that could fancy a stunning rpg with action, mystery and the ability to share this experience with other players. If you want to get to the endgame as fast as you can, then choose something else to play. 10 out of 10 because the trolls can suck it. Expand
  6. Jul 16, 2012
    A modern day fairy tale except that the fae in TSW aren't the ones born when the first baby laughed for the very first time, but rather the naughty demon fairies that kill, maim and kidnap for fun. In this parts
  7. Aug 10, 2012
    First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007.First MMO that is set in the present day. The zones do a great job of combines the stuff of scifi and fantasy with the "real" world. Has great variety of quests varying from old school adventure games to platformers. I also have to mention the character development system that allows you to truely build up your character whatever way you like. Best new MMO release since LotRO in 2007. Definitely worth trying. Expand
  8. Jul 14, 2012
    Not quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going toNot quite the best MMO so far. However, this game has an amazing foundation and depth. Funcom really redeemed themselves with this game. The quests are actually well fleshed out for the most part; however, combat needs to be polished a bit more. Though the game had a good launch, it really did not have that much stress put on their servers due to population. TSW is a game that is going to start out small, but grow continuously throughout it's life span. If funcom keeps the game up to date, you're going to be hearing ALOT more about TSW than you have in the past. Expand
  9. Jul 13, 2012
    I had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics areI had given up all hope for mmo's. click on the quest giver, kill 5 of these, run back and hand in, dont bother reading anything. And then like a ray of light, The Secret World comes out and its truly a breath of fresh air!. Quests that are engaging! puzzles that have me biting my lip and googling answers, a truly entertaining set of lore and all based off modern times. Graphics are extremely well done, the BEST pvp zone ive ever seen, up to 200 people all at once in a persistent pvp area that grants in world bonuses for the entire faction! i find myself wanting to skip work just so i can unravel one more mystery. Im an especially picky player, but ill say, the secret world blew my mind. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm impressed.

The game plays well, the quests are a nice blend of dead simple smaller tasks all the way up to the large scale mind boggling hard ones. I just love the way they blend into the "real world" with small details. (E.g. if you find an URL on equipment or in a computer log, you can in all the cases I've tried it just open a real world browser in game and type in that URL to go to an actual website. [minor spoiler]In some cases you might even have to do it to research the problem at hand.[/minor spoiler])

The point deducted comes from bugs, primarily in aggro from mobs, but also in some missions which does not play out the way there are supposed to do. But with the kind of attention the GMs are giving the player in game, problems are mostly sorted within minutes. (All my petitions has been handled within 30 minutes.)

Get the bugs sorted, and this thing will shine as the gem it really is.
  11. Oct 5, 2012
    Simply the only mmo i can play and have fun.The character development is huge you can bent your character quite easily into what your desire and not start about the huge breathtaking scenario,world and of course the innovative skills and ability systems without any class or fancy armor or stupid orcs.
  12. Aug 13, 2012
    A strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends toA strong MMORPG set in modern horror with an enjoyably unique character progression system. Loses a point for lack of polish: can't hotkey consumables and the quick gear+talent swap tool doesn't always remember your gear (useful for switching between a tank and dps role, for example, but you have to manually equip some of your tank gear). Does multiplayer right by allowing friends to play together even from different servers.

There are three things I think really stand out for this game:

-Non-linear character progression
    There are no levels in this game. There are nine weapon types, from which you can equip any two at a time, and each has it's own skill tree with about 50 abilities. These trees start with cheap, up-front abilities, and branch into more expensive, specialized ones. The catch is, at any time you're limited to 7 active (clicky) abilities, and 7 passive abilities. The game facilitates and encourages swapping these in and out as your situation requires, which can be done instantly and freely anytime you're out of combat. This is way more enjoyable customization than what "talent trees" and classes in other MMOs tend to provide. It also tends to solve the natural lack of tanks/healers, since these roles have the option to deal damage with a simple gear/spec swap.

-Engaging story and dungeons
    Most of your experience points will come from completing quests, which are usually much better than those offered up in other MMOs, and are repeatable on about a day's cooldown. The game differentiates between different kinds of quests, and by design limits you to one main quest at a time, making it more engaging and less of a to-do kill list. Action quests are closest to your standard MMO fair: you kill a progression of baddies usually culminating with some big baddie at the end. Sabotage missions typically involve sneaking around some cameras, traps, or high-powered guards, with very minimal fighting. Investigation missions will test your puzzling skills and imagination, and even require looking up information outside of the game (hieroglyphics, Morse code, ISBN numbers on books, etc). The latter can be incredibly rewarding both in xp and in the atypical nature of the quest, though like any puzzle game solutions can also be found online.

Dungeons are very well streamlined. Trash pulls are almost non-existent, so the group can focus on the real meat of group instanced combat: the boss fights. There's plenty going on during the fights, almost every fight has you dodging some badness, reacting to changing phases and adds, etc. Roles tend to stay pretty close to the "holy-trinity" of tank+healer+3dps, but the nature of setting up your 7 actives/passives leaves within that quite a bit of room for diversity - off heals/tank are definitely possible, and anyone can opt for a personal heal/cleanse at the cost of one of those 7 precious slots.

-Social
    It's the little things. Like most MMOs Secret World breaks into server instances to manage its user base into manageable chunks. Unlike most MMOs, Funcom didn't make this into an artificial barrier to playing with your friends. Your friends list seamlessly crosses servers, and you can join a group with someone on another server and temporarily hop to their server to play.

Because there are no levels, there's no level gap, either. You can group with another player regardless of different power levels, and complete missions, and not feel penalized for it, and because you can repeat most missions you can always find something to do together.

These two things together might easily be the biggest selling point for the MMO, and they're so simple it's stupid, but so many other AAA MMO games get it wrong, in my opinion. The most important thing in an MMO game is the game should be multiplayer friendly, you should be able to join your friends and find rewarding content to enjoy effortlessly - and Funcom nailed this.
  13. Dec 3, 2012
    The dialogue and story are where this game really shines. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the humor in this game.

The downside is solo play. Even more than most MMOs, this game (like all Funcom games) is really designed for very social gamers. If you prefer to solo TSW can be incredibly grindy and frustrating.
  14. Aug 13, 2012
    This is, simply put, the best and most original MMORPG I have ever played. So if you're looking for a game set in present day, which flirts a lot with the horror genre and has a great depth when it comes to storytelling, then this game is definitely for you.
  15. Aug 13, 2012
    Immersive, exciting, daring, attention grabbing and yes sometimes frustrating. All these adjectives describe my adventures in The Secret World.

In this place I can be anything I want to be, do anything I want to do... A sexy axe weilding brunnette who can shoot lightning from her fingers.... a frumpy old man with a shotgun in his hands and pistols at his side.... an innocent co-ed just rolled out of bed, still in her bunny slippers wielding an assault rifle and a pair of fist weapons, more deadly than her cute smile would indicate..

This is an MMO unlike any I have ever played. The learning curve is higher than average but there are many opportunities to learn in cleverly placed solo instances along your journey that make you break away from the pack so you can use your build to face the challenge laid before you... If you fail you have the opportunity to change your actives or passives as you need to defeat the challenge... If you cannot, go out earn some more xp and pick up the abilities that you failed to do so in the past so you can come back in and win.

I can tank, heal and dps all on the same toon.. I can build a straight out healer or a combination of skills as unique or cookie cutter as I want... Exploration... OMG! I investigate and solve riddles that make me find it within myself to translate morse code, read runes, follow signals, search google for both well and unknown litterature and art all on my journey through the world.

I feel like I cannot fully express the contents of the secret world... It really can be what you want it to be. If you allow yourself to progress at your pace and fully immerse yourself in the game it can be a fun escape... I cannot wait to face the gatekeeper and see how I do. The gatekeeper is a solo challenge that you must win in order to enter the nightmare modes. You can face him as a tank, dps or a healer... you must face him alone. Some people make it look easy, others have been unable to pass... I don't know what type of challenge faces me but I cannot wait to find out.

The only area I am waiting for improvement on is the PVP. I love some PVP but this game does't quite do it for me.... A 3 faction fight has alll sorts of fun written all over it. It will happen though, eventually.. until then I can get my PVP fix elsewhere.. the rest of the world is just amazing....
  16. Aug 13, 2012
    this game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secretthis game is a sleeper why because of the name "the secret world" this game is evil at times but what tsw does is let you take your time to go threw the game.there are some faults like the combat but that they are updating the combat consonantly to give a better experience. this world is evil lets say tsw is the childe of call of cthulhu had a child with 7 guest and you have the secret world . why people are turn off by the secret world is because no one knows about it. quest titles are fun to read and fun to try to finger out how to do the quest "Hell and Bach " some quest like hell and bach needs you to ask for help do you wan to know why you need to pay attention to what is given to in the 1 part of the quest ORDERINT DUM METUANT this is latan for "Let them hate as long as they fear Expand
  17. IMC
    Aug 13, 2012
    This game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to otherThis game surpassed any expectations I had. The environment and story are incredible, the quests intriguing and require understanding of your environment to solve many of the investigation missions. Even the quests that have waypoints (the ones that remind more of popular mmos) are well thought and fun. The launch was incredibly smooth with a minor amount of bugs in comparison to other released titles these past years. If you are one of those people that has been almost dying waiting for a change of scenery and innovation in the never-ending copy-cat mmo industry, TSW is for. And the fun has only began. Expand
  18. Aug 13, 2012
    Despite the Critic reviews, I bought this game, and I am super glad I did. Clearly the critics didn't actually play the game because it has so many good things about it.

First and foremost the graphics and story are phenomenal. The cut scenes and voice acting make me look forward to the missions. The graphics are exceptionally well done and suit the story and environment perfectly.

The game mechanics are also very well done. There are no "classes" or "levels", and surprisingly it really does work. You can make any type of character you like based on the skills you choose. And what's really great is that you never have to reroll your character because quests are repeatable so you can earn more points to try new skills. Also, although I haven't tried it, you can advance your character via PvP battles, but I am too wrapped up in the awesome story and side quests to do that.

Speaking of which... I am 42 hours into the game and it has been a blast. Even if there is no endgame content when I finish it in another 50-60 hours, I am very glad at having spent the $50 I paid for this game.

So, try the game despite the critics reviews. Maybe they got paid off to bad mouth it. Maybe they just didn't bother learning the ropes of a game that is very much NOT A COOKIE CUTTER CLONE of any MMO's in recent history. The game has very open ended ways to play it, so if it's hand holding you want, stick with WoW or any of it's clones.
  19. Aug 14, 2012
    I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry.I've played a many of MMOs through their end-game over the last 10 years; EQ, EQ2, LoTRO ... most recently SWTOR and now TSW. TSW is by a mile the most interesting, unique, fun MMO I've ever experienced. I've now logged just under 10 days of playtime (around 250 hours) and I'm still highly engaged. The skill/leveling system is fantastic and a breath of fresh air in the MMO industry. The content is actually difficult (in Nightmare mode) and highly dynamic. The community is great. Never takes more than 5 minutes to find a group for anything I'd like to work on. Are there a few bugs, sure. But the game has been live for only a few months and they're fixing things everyday. I'm a lifetime subscriber and will play this for a LONG time. Thank you Funcom. Expand
  20. Aug 14, 2012
    This MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it givesThis MMORG requires more effort than most, but is worth the investment. Instead of cookie cutter abilities, players can pick and choose among literally hundreds of active and passive powers. And there's the rub. It takes some effort to put together sets of abilities that work well together. You can do it yourself, or you can check out fan sites with suggested builds. I think it gives the game some real versatility, and you never are in a position where you regret your class choice, because there are no classes! Want to do something else? Just buy the abilities with experience and do it. Expand
  21. Aug 14, 2012
    If you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would beIf you like PvE but need something deeper aesthetically and intellectually play this game! The atmostphere and production value are superior to that of WoW or SWTOR. The mechanics are new and deep for those who like figuring out game systems. The game is hard though, and honestly while it does rely on many MMO tropes, thinking with paradigms brought from WoW or SWtOR would be unhelpful to you as a player. Questing and builds have to be treated entirely differently. For instance, questing is about stories, not about loot or XP farming. You can only pursue one major quest actively. This means if you take a new quest your other quest is paused. Meaning you can't just collect a list of chores and go do them. Even if you were allowed to do this it would be extremely difficult as some of the people near the initial quest givers give quests for much more experienced characters. You want to choose one quest, and follow the quest chain all across the zone until you are brought back to the hub. Character builds are different in that there are no classes, or restrictions on how many abilities you can get. There are weapons, and restrictions on what kind of abilities you can have actively. The system is confusing at first, and you will make mistakes. However these mistakes end up just being another set of options you have later. You really only need one character, and you never need to repeat content if you don't want to. The game is young and has a few flaws. It has bugs, and it is thirsty for all those small pieces of content that older games are riddled with (homes, marriages,new clothing). PvP is kind of an after thought, and if you are thirsty for pvp content honestly I would suggest Team Fortress 2 or League of Legends as those provide great pvp for free. Expand
  22. Aug 15, 2012
    I'm having a blast in this game. The skill system allows me to decide how I want to play my character. The quests are well thought out and written. Last night I got the chills investigating a haunted asylum. I've mostly solo'd my way so far and am not rushing the game by any means. After a month and a half, just entering the second major zone.

Graphically it looks great whether I'm

Graphically it looks great whether I'm running it on my desktop or laptop computers. I haven't had any crash to desktop issues. And only experienced a few minor bugs in quests (both of which were handled by friendly GM's within 5 minutes of me posting a petition about it).

They've just announced their second "Issue" of new content; so the game continues to grow and evolve.

Some areas do need some work. PvP is a bit lackluster at the moment. But there are also some changes coming to the battlegrounds which may help address those. We'll wait and see.

I'm no where near endgame yet; so can't really comment on dungeons or raids so far.

At this point, though, I was already bailing out of SWTOR and some other recent MMO releases. With TSW I feel like I could be here a year or two from now and still enjoying myself.
  23. Aug 31, 2012
    This game is nothing for pigeonholing. This game makes many things absolutely different, others are similar to well known schemata. The quest design is great. Action, sabotage, investigation, delivery quests. Quests, where you have to think. (omg, using my brain!) Quests, that can be done completely without fighting.
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are
    The crafting system is interesting, different. Of course, there are better ones out there. But also worse.
    The whole story is amazing, as well as the setting. It's different from everything out there. I love the way dungeons are designed. And I mean the optic and the fights both. I like the fact, that there is not that much trash. And I love, that bosses need tactic and are not only tank and spank.
    The game has a great skill system. But yes, that system and the game design at all requires the player to change his builds if necessary. That's not for everyone, not for people who say "I only want to play with these weapons and that abilities.". But in fact, it is giving players more space to develop as so many other MMOs.
    I am absolutely curious how everything will go one. I'm looking forward to the first raid and the first new zone.
    Great game, just give it a chance and stop pigeonholing ;)
  24. Oct 12, 2012
    This is the best game I have played for a very long time. TSW makes you actually think about the missions and the choices you make in the game. The skill wheel is a genuis idea, even though you can only use 2 weapons at any one time (plus we get an extra weapon later we can use as an extra) you are not tied to them or their passive skills, you can pick a choose a passive from anywhere onThis is the best game I have played for a very long time. TSW makes you actually think about the missions and the choices you make in the game. The skill wheel is a genuis idea, even though you can only use 2 weapons at any one time (plus we get an extra weapon later we can use as an extra) you are not tied to them or their passive skills, you can pick a choose a passive from anywhere on the wheel. Not happy with pistols? Then pick another weapon. none of your weapons have impair? then choose from a range of passives that can fix that for you. The points do come thick and fast which means you don't have to grind to get more points, a blessing in the beginning of the game when you are starting out and may make some mistakes. The ability to use any passives you want is one of the best ideas I have seen in an MMO for a long time. "YOU" get to pick and choose what you want to use, not what the devs want you to use. But it's the story telling and missions that make this game. (TOR please take note, I actually remember the NPCs and where they are based as they made such an impact on me). The storytelling will blow you away (I sometimes play "guess the stars voice") and the missions? Some will make you tear your hair out, some will have you laughing, some will make you hold your breathe, some will make you jump and not want to play in the dark. This game makes you think outside SO many boxes it will blow your socks off. It's a mixed bag of puzzles, stealth and shot em ups!

Also you will never get to that moment where you have run out of missions for your level and have to slowly grind your way to be able to unlock the next batch of missions. (points finger at TOR again) TSW doesn't work like that (thank the gods!) yes this game has had bugs (name one MMO that started out bug free?) but what is great is the devs seem to listen to the community and have been fixing those where they can. We have devs posting to say when they are working on issues/ problems and what is coming up if someone is discussing something they would like to see. The GM support in game is brilliant, the longest I've waited for help on a known mission bug was 30 minutes on a busy weekend when new content came out and they waited for me to go back to the mission I was having probs with so they could help. Also if you get stuck in game with a mission the community is pretty quick to help you out. So yes it has it's flaws but you know they are working on things to make the game better all the time, which is nice to know. The landscape and monsters are just beautifully done, sometimes it's nice to stop and look around to take it all in. I've even got into playing PvP and am loving it, even though the last few MMO's put me right off playing PvP content. yes it needs to be improved but they are working on this so things can only get better. I've not done the dungeons yet so cannot comment but they have introduced lairs to each zone for those looking for harder content and I've run screaming from a few of them. Also we get free updates and the devs have stated that they won't be doing add ons we have to pay extra for. updates normally have a few missions (which you get clothing items for completing them) and there's a new raid coming and a theatre for the RP to use! Free updates and free stuff to do keeps players happy :) we got a new barbar and plastic surgeon so we now have more looks to play with and halloween content just round the corner. what's not to love?! :) If you play 20 hours a day, like your hand being held all the time, only do PvP, like easy peasy "kill x bunny" missions and like being told what weapons you can use then maybe it's not the game for you. For the rest of you, come on over and bring a swimsuit, the water is lovely!
  25. Jul 4, 2013
    The game, regardless of its compelling content, is crippled by its bugs and should not be played.

A year after launch, some friendly NPCs still attack players during escort quests; this has been going on forever and has apparently been fixed before. One of the few useful Blood magic elite actives kills tanks if combined with a signet; Benediction has been a problem for a while. Many

Many of the new quests that end with a cut-scene and teleport simply black out the screen and force you to reset the interface and find the continuation of the quest on your own dime. Was the main quest line supposed to teleport you elsewhere? Instead, it merely blind you, forces you to use your one teleport on long CD, and then forces you to walk to the continuation.

Problems with PvP queues prevent the majority of players from entering the massive Fusang arena, in which all three factions were supposed to meet for epic combat; some players have waited in line for eight hours. In another arena, one faction was able to win more than 200x per hour because broken queues mean they weren't matched to enemies.

Even disregarding the new game-breaking problems in PvP, the developers have barely lifted a finger to address major imbalances in all arenas. Nothing prevents farming of new-/lowbies. In Fusang, the bots that were introduced in an attempt to help underdogs do no such thing, especially since they vanish soon after capturing a facility; i.e. the underdog can't hold on to what they were just given. There were promises of matchmaking, but the population is certainly too small by this point.

It's not as if the developers have been idle. They had time to cut crit and proc rates in half for Burst abilities, an unwelcome change especially for new players who used these abilities to compensate for low stats on early gear. They had time to put a one year anniversary boss in Fusang, where it can't be accessed by most due to broken queues.

Etc., etc. The game had promise and was accompanied by a large number of promises. These and the game itself continue to be actively broken. Do not participate in this exercise in frustration.
  26. Sep 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the game starts out good and the sense of adventure is intense you want to see whats all there the first area is fully voiced accept yourself of course the story line is fantastic but you are unfortunately limited to were you can go on your own and allot of the plots and story is in the dungeons and high difficulty zones witch are impossible to do on your own just starting out the game hasn't, been updating the main story line for the average character you have to buy missions in order to get different weapons and they have been catering to the player vs player more then the main story line itself and the story line is what makes the game so excellent but i digress the game is good in the begging and the side missions are fun but if your the type that has to see every thing in the story and how it ends i say look somewhere else cause this game will only get your hopes up and the drive them straight down. Expand
  27. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm an avid fan of H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, zombies, and all things that go bump, and I was immediately drawn to The Secret World because of the obvious influence the horror genre has had on its sensibilities. I'd never played any MMORG's before TSW but that didn't hinder me from immediately becoming immersed into its elaborate world.

The game proper begins in Kingsmouth, Maine, an

The game proper begins in Kingsmouth, Maine, an isolated community on Solomon Island (although one can travel to any map from here provided they know the way). Once idyllic, this Arkham inspired New England town is now overrun by zombies, sea monsters, and cosmic horrors. The few remaining holdouts provide the lion's share of the quests available on the island, though there are plenty scattered throughout. The individual quest lines conjoin to build an encompassing island narrative of what went wrong in their community, and there is so much that did. Solomon Island is a haunted, insane place, and I've greatly enjoyed uncovering its' secrets.

The strong emphasis on story telling and NPC personality really shines in TSW and the voice acting is always top notch. One of my favorites is Hayden Montag, played by Jeffery Combs, who you may recognize for portraying Herbert West in the cult horror film series Re-Animator (Re-Animator was based on H.P. Lovecraft's famous novel). Many of the characters are very aware of common horror tropes, and will casually refer to them in a very self aware, wink to the audience, breaking the fourth wall kind of way that I find incredibly endearing. This is one game where I really pay attention to what every character has to say; every single idiosyncratic word.

I am also very pleased by how much TSW plays like a dedicated adventure survival horror PC game. There are the riddles, puzzles, and the exploration familiar to adventure gamers and they are all intelligently designed and well presented, many of them requiring research, for example, into Latin, Morse code, Medieval history, even musical composition. If you take the time to figure out things on your own, you can actually learn a lot!

Having never really played any on-line cooperative games before, I really wanted more of a solo gaming experience going at my own pace, instead of a group one just running around from one checkpoint to the next, but with the option of testing the waters of team play once I had some time under my belt to become familiar with the gameplay. So far I have been able to do exactly that. None of the initial missions are too difficult to be done alone, and once most quests for one map are completed my character was well developed enough to go on alone to the next map. There are missions that are impossible to be done single-handed, but nothing that would hinder the player from progressing from area to area and going back later with a group for the rest. And missions that were first done in a group can always be replayed solo after a cooling off period if you are so inclined.

The Secret World is huge. At the time of this review there are maps in Maine, New York City, Seoul, Transylvania, Egypt, London, one in Tokyo being released soon, and more, with many locations having multiple maps themselves. They are constantly expanding their universe and it is safe to say there is enough content to last for months or years. I've played for about 60 hours so far and I haven't even made it out of New England yet!

The game does have its annoyances, but most, if not all, can be resolved throughout the learning curve. Read the stickies in the Newcomer forum on The Secret World message board as they can cut that curve in half. http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6 My only major complaint about the gameplay is that when sticking to the same weapons, which you must do in order to level them up, the fighting can get very repetitive.

I have thoroughly enjoyed The Secret World. It's fun, imaginative, ambitious and unpredictable. Now that it's gone free to play (no monthly subscription) I highly recommend it to anyone who loves adventure games, horror stories, or role playing. In The Secret World, death is just the beginning. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
  28. Jul 16, 2012
    This game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged byThis game came out of nowhere for me, and I have to say that it is a breath of fresh air in a big field of WoW clones and stale ideas. Does it have flaws and need polish? Of course (and what new MMORPG does not?). What it has in spades though is ADVENTURE. No more quest hubs and grinding for the sake of grinding. I love just running around, seeing the sights, being engaged by thoughtful interesting plot development, and immersing myself in some of the most well done and atmospheric zone design ever. And no levels! The ability to eventually learn every skill in the game with one toon! I have heard that PvP is a little lackluster, but I haven't tried it yet. Funcom, fool me once (AO), fool me twice (AoC), knock it out of the park here. Wait, what!?! Expand
  29. Jul 7, 2012
    Ok this game is nothing like the other MMO's that I've played before. First of all there's no such thing as level. And it feels actually bad ass because a 2 year long player can even fail a starting quest like the beginners. (ofc if he/she got distracted etc) And the game's actually HARD. How come? Like I said there's no leveling and you can master every skill and that brings to playerOk this game is nothing like the other MMO's that I've played before. First of all there's no such thing as level. And it feels actually bad ass because a 2 year long player can even fail a starting quest like the beginners. (ofc if he/she got distracted etc) And the game's actually HARD. How come? Like I said there's no leveling and you can master every skill and that brings to player think a bit. Which also shoo away wow-kids from the game;) From what I've been telling mechanics are ok but this game's newly released. It's going to patched fixed etc. So I'm changing subject to another topic instead of talking something going to change in the future for sure. Here are the things that I don't like. The number one thing that I hate is the font selection. WHY THE HELL YOU'D USE FUTURA? IT'S NOT 80'S! Ugh... And the UI is literally hurts my eyes. It's obviously been rushed and art directors didn't gave a crap to revise. But that's actually %50 important to make the game UNDERSTANDABLE. If you do not put sweat what's going on with the UI you'll never understand what did you just unlocked or achieved. because every single object is scattered around the monitor. I can guess they were trying to minimalistic but that's not it. That's an UI sketch. Not even processed. That's actually NOT a thing a game company would forget to check. because nowadays %50 of the consumers want nice appeal. and believe me TSW is going to loose most of their potential customers if they don't fix their horrendous UI. But if you don't give a crap about UI and check metacritic if this game's good or not, I could advice you to give it a shot. I cannot say you could love it because it's REALLY a diffirent MMO. (it may feel like tera online from the teasers and gameplay videos but it's not even remotely similar) Expand
  30. Aug 1, 2012
    The most immersive MMO I've ever played. The attention of detail put into even the smalles things in this diverse universe is astonishing. The skill & combat system is complex but not complicated, it allows quick switches between different playstyles (tank, DPS, healer, melee, ranged, etc.) and quite variable builds.
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining
    The story is compelling and manages to walk the line between sustaining immersion and self-referencing on a meta-level.

As everyone knows Funcom's support has managed to build up some bad rap over the years. Apparently they finally managed to get it together. GMs respond within minutes to your requests with personal messages (no automated BS).
    With the first content update after only a month of release, it seems as if they can hold up to their promises of monthly free content updates that keep the universe dynamic and interesting.

1. Oct 22, 2013
    The Secret World delivers an MMO experience that's distinctly different from its competitors, and it's likely going to remain the standard for future games in the horror/supernatural genre.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    I am really looking forward to the next mission, the next dialog, the next puzzle. As in a solo role-playing game flat. And this is not an error but a boon.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    I like the open character development where I don't have to wear a class straitjacket as well as the quiet discovery of mysterious dangers. But more often that it wants to, The Secret World is "just" an ordinary MMO.