• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 23, 2010
5.3

1. Oct 3, 2014
    This game is unlike early Settler incarnations. Its very linear with an extremely childish plot, storyline and interface. There is very little room for strategy and its bubblegum plot and graphics makes me want to vomit.
    The DRM is far from foolproof but don't download it even for free. In fact if you've bought it; don't install it or even open the box! Keep this as far away from your PC as you can! What were Ubisoft thinking of!?
    This is one of the most irritating and appalling games I've ever come across.
  2. Oct 16, 2013
    Very good game but with terrible DRM. It's sad since lots of people will not touch it out of principle because of it. They are missing out on an excellent strategy game. My internet connection is very stable and I got my copy on sale for peanuts so I don't really care about the DRM, I have finished the entire Campaign along with all DLC and not once have I been prevented from playing byVery good game but with terrible DRM. It's sad since lots of people will not touch it out of principle because of it. They are missing out on an excellent strategy game. My internet connection is very stable and I got my copy on sale for peanuts so I don't really care about the DRM, I have finished the entire Campaign along with all DLC and not once have I been prevented from playing by its protection. Hence I see no point in docking the game points because of its copyright protection. It's a solid 8/10, no more, no less. Expand
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    All games are going to have DRM some day don't read any of the negative reviews. The game play, graphics, sound and characters are all very well done.
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    This game is awfully linear and limited. Your resources are not expendable when they are used, you are done. The logistic is broken, everything being centered on the warehouse. The industrial chains are extremly limited. And I encountered so many gameplay random problems I think the creators knew they were doing a bad game. We are far from the previous Settlers games
  5. Jun 18, 2013
    Bought this game years ago and really enjoyed it. Then Ubisoft added UPlay and I couldn't login and play. Their support refused to help in any way and despite having the original CD, I can no longer play the game. I will never buy another game from them unless they eliminate UPlay.
  6. Apr 27, 2013
    I've been playing the settles for a long time. 1,2,3 and 4 and then lost interest a bit. I downloaded a cracked torrent of this and I'm glad I did.

The graphics were hugely improved, the story hit just about every cliche as fast as Lara Croft empties a magazine and the gameplay sucked. The UI/UX was non intuitive and the whole thing was dumbed down to try and make it more attractive. Massive fail.

I could possibly tolerate DRM if the game was absolutely amazing but with this pile of s**te I'm glad I didn't waste my money and got improved playability for it. Not that I played much. 30 minutes and it ended up in the trashcan to hell.

Good riddance

Good quality games are worth paying for Good publishers inspire loyalty by fans and reap the rewards. I pay for great games. Stuff like this I decompose back into bytes
  7. Apr 18, 2013
    I bought this game at a time in my life where I was starved for strategy builders and had no clue how many there actually are if you do some digging.

Essentially, it's a good enough game. It has its supply chains, an extremely basic combat (Don't buy this if that's what you're after), and even technologies for you to advance your town. All of this in and of itself makes for exactly what I wanted.

I played the entire game through to completion and abandoned it forever. Here's why: for some reason, I can't picture anybody finding a workaround for this, the games last HOURS of your time. Even basic campaigns. If the mission is to simply eliminate somebody, you have to first get X then Y to build X then N and G to manufacture Y and then T and Z to build G. When you do finally memorize the seemingly endless supply chain just to build the end products, it still takes hours of your time to set it all up. (I should add, this is at maximum speed. There's no issue about me playing it at low speed. The first thing I did in this game is find how to speed it up.)

If you're playing through this and want easy wins, the way to do it is through the trade system. Make sure you secure your spots on the map for easy profit and commodities you yourself don't want to spend the time setting up.

I'm giving this a 6 if you're seriously into these games, which I am. If you don't have titanic levels of patience for the mere act of playing through a mission and don't have the time to learn all the supply chains, this game can easily be listed as a 1/10.

I'm not done with the Settlers franchise. One of the very earlier ones seems to have a lot of people's interest and that's what I'll be buying.
  8. Apr 15, 2013
    This is an excellent, nuanced game. If you enjoy a complex strategy game that actually works, I would recommend this game. The game requires strategy in order to succeed: you must build up various supply lines of manufactured goods via conquering and collecting resources from various strategic points. There is also a well thought-out technology tree that requires a well-thought out plan.
  9. Mar 4, 2013
    I have bought this game, because I read DRM is no more. I would like to confirm it. I disabled internet, started steam offline and then U-play popped up and asked me if I wish to start off-line. I did this and I was able to load my previous game in offline mode. The only difference, which I spotted is the ability to play multiplay -which kind of makes sense, if you don't have internet, whyI have bought this game, because I read DRM is no more. I would like to confirm it. I disabled internet, started steam offline and then U-play popped up and asked me if I wish to start off-line. I did this and I was able to load my previous game in offline mode. The only difference, which I spotted is the ability to play multiplay -which kind of makes sense, if you don't have internet, why do you need multiplayer. Now to the core; Music is fantastic, and graphics are beautiful for a 3 year-old engine. I haven't encountered any game breaking issues or bugs yet. The environment is stunning and beautiful -wish Anno 2070 had this cheerful colors. Single player is easy at start, but then picks up. Game concept is involved and mechanics well thought. If you like builder kind of games, you will like it. Else, it's a pass. To conclude, I give -1, because it took Ubi 3 years to disable DRM and -1 because Ubisoft didn't listen to the Settlers community at start with DRM. Anyway, it's now official the game is playable and it's great fun too! Expand
  10. Feb 16, 2013
    the reviews ppl give this game is so unfair and CLEARLY they havent played a game from a score 0 to 5 this game is great and i have no problems with DRM whatsoever after having this game for a year probably people obviously have not played games that are 0-5 scored please do great game ive played most of the settlers games 2,3,4 and now 7 great game and i have enjoyed it for a long time
  11. Jan 27, 2013
    Great. This game reminded me, why I left the PC gaming in the first place. After I fully downloaded it from the Steam and hit the "Play" button it took the game just 45 minutes before in downloaded, installed, updated, activated and synchronized all that Ubisoft DRM nonsense that does not bring anything usefull, just limits you where you can play (forgot about playing offline - theyGreat. This game reminded me, why I left the PC gaming in the first place. After I fully downloaded it from the Steam and hit the "Play" button it took the game just 45 minutes before in downloaded, installed, updated, activated and synchronized all that Ubisoft DRM nonsense that does not bring anything usefull, just limits you where you can play (forgot about playing offline - they probably never heard about gaming notebooks) Expand
  12. Oct 27, 2012
    this is a very nice looking game, with great ambients and atmosphere as your workers go about doing there tasks, to start with i did find the placing building in the right place abit tough to get the maximum space effiency as you can run out of space quite quickly in an area but you can expand to lots of new territories, but i like this as it add another thing to do in the game, also ithis is a very nice looking game, with great ambients and atmosphere as your workers go about doing there tasks, to start with i did find the placing building in the right place abit tough to get the maximum space effiency as you can run out of space quite quickly in an area but you can expand to lots of new territories, but i like this as it add another thing to do in the game, also i like the way that when you make stuff you use warehouses to move items closer to where there needed, for example so each warehouse has a worker that takes items to the nearest warehouse thats next to a building that needs it,
    so depending on how close the warehouse is to your say wheat farm the less time the farmer has to walk and can spend more time making wheat, since there are so many people giving bad reviews on DRM that i had no problem with i give a 10 but it should get an 8.5
  13. Oct 10, 2011
    For most of the Settlers series these games gave you the freedom and the time to build whatever you wanted but the annoying new "take and hold" victory points system causes you to build rush an economy to win which in turn shortens the game. Also maps feel a lot more restrictive as they are made up of small sectors with all fortifications ready built and army unit choice is limited. ThereFor most of the Settlers series these games gave you the freedom and the time to build whatever you wanted but the annoying new "take and hold" victory points system causes you to build rush an economy to win which in turn shortens the game. Also maps feel a lot more restrictive as they are made up of small sectors with all fortifications ready built and army unit choice is limited. There are still a couple of bugs around one of which meant rolling back graphics drivers to prevent crashing and while I barely experienced any DRM issues the fact remains that it relies too much on both a stable server and a stable connection. Expand
  14. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a newcomer to the series which, for better or worse, eliminates any expectations I may have had from the series. I believed I was in store for a dynamic economic/military kingdom builder, but what I got was repetitive and narrow game play (tedious micromanagement can still be narrow). I was able to put in 5 hours before being so bored that I may never boot the game up again. 5 hours 5 score. The meat of my problem was in world layout, warfare, and victory. The nature of each level and the layout was redundant, and provided for pretty much the same game every level. Then there was the disappointing game component of "neutral" regions. If I have an army and they don't, I say sucks to their neutrality.

In warfare I was disappointed in defense and offense. Defense, I wanted to have better control of towers and walls. Maybe this became available deeper in the game, I may never know. Offense was even more of a joke. There was ever only one way to attack a region, the horrible bottlenecks, and there was no command and control other the retreat.

Finally the most important aspect of any game, achieving victory. I understand that they wanted to allow for different modes of ending levels, using economy, military, or trade, but it always felt as though my conquest was incomplete. The Victory Point system was a cheap out for the developers. The enemy, or myself, would suddenly be defeated because one held more regions, and had a higher prestige, never having to directly challenge the opponent on the field. Silly. High points of the game was that citizens were very intuitive and got their work done. Nice variety to the economy.

There were many other problems outside the scope of this short review. sigh...

When will someone let me build a real Kingdom!
  15. Apr 29, 2011
    Not sure what everyone is complaining about this DRM for I play Settlers 7 on Steam without a hitch all the time. Unfortunately, in today's world it is coming common place to only be able to buy or activate software online, and that is not just for games. Personally, I find Steam very convenient as I work off of four different computers and every once in a while I misplace an old game CDNot sure what everyone is complaining about this DRM for I play Settlers 7 on Steam without a hitch all the time. Unfortunately, in today's world it is coming common place to only be able to buy or activate software online, and that is not just for games. Personally, I find Steam very convenient as I work off of four different computers and every once in a while I misplace an old game CD I wanted to play, that means I have to pirate something I own which is frustrating stupid and time consuming. Whereas if the game is on steam I can just pull it up and install. And then I am done. Simple! Settlers 7 is the best Settlers since 4 in my opinion. Although I still like 4 the best it just seemed to look nice and had so much freedom. Although it was very buggy. But it had the coolest of stories. Final Note Settlers 5 was unplayable in my opinion it just seemed like another RTS. And Settlers 6 was okay but just to repetitive A went to B then AB went to C then ABC went to D ... I was just always annoyed by it. Expand
  16. Apr 25, 2011
    I don't understand the rationale some reviewers have against other reviewers downrating the game because of its horrendous DRM. Believe it or not, the DRM is a HUGE gameplay issue. As a person who travels, I am restricted to playing this single player game to only times where I can access wifi. You will be locked out from playing this single-player game in the following scenarios:

Your

Your ISP has a temporary hiccup that lasts longer than the amount of time the DRM takes to timeout.
    While traveling without access to wifi.
    Ubisoft servers hiccup, crash or are down for maintenance.
    Router hiccups.
    Physical accidents, such as somebody accidentally pulling the physical network cable.

This hinders gameplay to the point where I feel I am being punished for not torrenting the cracked version with the DRM removed. If you can't find the correlation between this overzealous DRM and gameplay, I think you should take a step back and look at the situation objectively.
  17. Mar 15, 2011
    Dumb Story, weak strategy, horrible DRM. This game is nothing like the Settlers series that came before it and has destroyed the franchise in my opinion. Whatever you may have loved about the Settlers, is all gone. Whats left is a cartoony impersonation without any real strategy. If it weren't for some quality work on the graphics side, I would give this game a zero.
  18. Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the heads up on the DRM. I was appalled at spore for limiting you to 5 installs, but this goes one step further in ridiculous attempts to prevent piracy. Software publishers need to learn from companies like Stardock with their success on Sins of a Solar Empire.
  19. Feb 17, 2011
    9 points for the game itself. 1 Point for the DRM. So ... 5/10.
    It remember every others settlers games, maybe sometime a little bit "previous-version-like".

1 point for this annoying DRM which prevented us from playing our game for days and days.
    Each time server is offline, or crashed, we can't play the game.
    With this protection, they killed the game.
  20. Nov 23, 2010
    This has the dumbest story and characters I have seen in a long time. You play some silver spoon princess looking to attack some land her daddy gave her an order to or some crap. The dialog was physically painful for me to have to listen to. Not really because of the acting, but because of how generic the story was. And the DRM. Well what more can be said?

All in all, it's kind of fun,

All in all, it's kind of fun, but I would stick with the old Sierra games and save the headaches. The story is laughable (unintentional camp), and the DRM just kills the other redeeming features. It just isn't worth it guys.
  21. Oct 17, 2010
    This outlandish DRM by Ubisoft is unacceptable , this will be in bargain buckets faster than you can blink .. and even then it will be too much. as someone else said who cares about the game when it has this appalling DRM attached to it ... wake up and smell the coffee Ubisoft gamers wont put up with it these days ,plus its just making piracy worse .. idiots ....
  22. Oct 3, 2010
    It is a nice new chapter in a beloved sequel, for me starting with Settlers 2. Not a great game, but nice. Great music, good athmosphere, but gameplay and game mechanics are quite unclear. This is a sort of "trial and error" concept. However, I will not buy this (or any other software, for that matter) until the DRM is removed permanently. Companies have a choice here: they can earn myIt is a nice new chapter in a beloved sequel, for me starting with Settlers 2. Not a great game, but nice. Great music, good athmosphere, but gameplay and game mechanics are quite unclear. This is a sort of "trial and error" concept. However, I will not buy this (or any other software, for that matter) until the DRM is removed permanently. Companies have a choice here: they can earn my money by making good games, or they can persist in endless patching and forcing spyware. We'll see. Expand
  23. Sep 23, 2010
    The game shines with a general coat of polish. I have difficulty finding blemished areas. The graphics are great, same goes for the gameplay and music. In truth I think the factor that had the greatest effect on me was the raw nostalgia. This is the closest the settlers series has ever come to returning to the modal set by settlers 2 (one of my faveroit games of all time). On the downsideThe game shines with a general coat of polish. I have difficulty finding blemished areas. The graphics are great, same goes for the gameplay and music. In truth I think the factor that had the greatest effect on me was the raw nostalgia. This is the closest the settlers series has ever come to returning to the modal set by settlers 2 (one of my faveroit games of all time). On the downside the games story is absolute garbage (perhaps it was meant to be this way, Some of the scenes are so bad that they are infact funny). Also at time the game can be become tedious and boring (Such as sitting around waiting for trees to grow so you can collect more wood). Many people have complained about the DRM but I myself have found no issues with the product. Anyone who does not think that piracy is an issue is living a blinded existance, Ubisoft has the right to protect their product. Expand
  24. Sep 21, 2010
    As a long time Settlers fan I bought this game with high hopes. While nicely polished and offering a fair amount of customisability, it lackis the depth and lasting appeal of earlier games in the series. And thanks to the ridiculous DRM scheme, I have been unable to play it on the weekends on several occasions..
  25. Sep 17, 2010
    On one hand the DRM is draconian (There are workarounds if you're into that.) but on the other the game is absolutely ... decent. It earns a fair 7-8 for the game itself, but loses 2-4 points due to the DRM depending on how strongly one feels about it. Therefore, it gets a firm 6 from me.
  26. Sep 11, 2010
    The learning curve is steep, but once learned, the game is amazing. The graphics and music are beautiful. I haven't had a bit of DRM trouble. My hope is that the story mode will continue soon.
  27. Sep 10, 2010
    I'll give this game a ten just to compensate for all the undeserved zero's it got from haters who didn't like the DRM. Those zero's are completely not relevant for the gameplay, graphics, sound on which a review should be based on.
  28. Oct 17, 2010

1. I’m hoping that people get into it, because I plan on keeping this one in my regular rotation for some time.
  2. Settlers 7 is a fantastic experience that brings out the best in economic sim and RTS games.
  3. The Settlers 7 looks easy but is despite of the looks really complex. Especially the multiplayer part is not only fun to play but really hard to master with three different ways of winning. Strategy and simulation fans will love it!