The Showdown Effect PC

7.0

1. Jun 28, 2013
    Fantastic little game!
    Fantastic little game!
    Be warned, there is no controller support and the controls take ALOT of getting used to, but once you start to get even a rudimentary understanding of the controls and the pacing of the matches it then becomes one of the fastest and most brutal multiplayer experiences you can get. The ode to 80's and 90's nostalgia is just the beautiful wrapping the game came in, and it works. I always thought a good competitive Super Smasher Brothers type game was just what the PC needed and this game delivered.
    I even waited until it had been out for awhile to make sure that there was a good foundation of a community,(yes it's only playable online PVP) so that I wouldn't get stuck with a game I can't play, and from what I've seen they are a great bunch of people to play with. Only downside is that most of them are deadly good at the game by now....lol
    The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it offered an in game store that enabled you to shortcut the grind.
    All round great game if you're looking for that new competitive type experience, definitely worth the price and a must have if it goes anywhere close to 50% off.
  2. Mar 12, 2013
    A brilliantly realised fast paced arcade shooter, awesome characters, a TON of weapons and brilliant map design lend itself to the whole package, whilst you tumble, run up walls, engage katana wielding schoolgirls in a honorable fight to the death whilst at the same time dodging incoming fire from a smartguns, laser rifles and shurikens. It's all fantastically fun to have with friends orA brilliantly realised fast paced arcade shooter, awesome characters, a TON of weapons and brilliant map design lend itself to the whole package, whilst you tumble, run up walls, engage katana wielding schoolgirls in a honorable fight to the death whilst at the same time dodging incoming fire from a smartguns, laser rifles and shurikens. It's all fantastically fun to have with friends or randoms..the community is friendly and welcoming to new players. Awesome. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    I like the Idea of the game, with some improvements it could be a lot better. Dedicated Servers for better Pings, more Maps, more chars, more weapons, cheaper price. Magicka has a lot more Stuff then Showdown Effect, but Showdown Effect costs the same. They should work on it like the Developers of Awesomenauts. Maybe some Performance Fixes would be great, or some Graphic advanced settings.
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Well-executed, Smash Brothers-esque 2d fighter, up to 8 players. Vivid animations and highly detailed enviornments. Musical score that nails the 80's cheesy action Arnold or Norris vibe. Combat is well done, with many improvised weapons to be found, though I believe there could be improvements here. The melee attacks are simple, with a charging tackle, a block, and an attack. Some weaponsWell-executed, Smash Brothers-esque 2d fighter, up to 8 players. Vivid animations and highly detailed enviornments. Musical score that nails the 80's cheesy action Arnold or Norris vibe. Combat is well done, with many improvised weapons to be found, though I believe there could be improvements here. The melee attacks are simple, with a charging tackle, a block, and an attack. Some weapons attack slower and do more damage as you would expect, others are quicker. All can be thrown to do some damage in a pinch. The ranged weapons require that your mouse targeting reticule be over the enemy you intend to hit as well as aiming at them; failing to do this will result in the bullets hitting the 'wall' behind the target. This works surprisingly well. In all, combat is solid, though more variety in melee weapons attacks would be good; I felt little reason to use anything but the default katana.

The presence of a paid cosmetic item shop is a concern, but all ingame abilites and characters and weaponry unlocks via the ingame currency store, earned by playing matches. This currency is gained quickly, but I still think the presence of the actual currency store is unneeded. Similarly, the number of characters feels rather limited, though this doubtless will be expanded on in the future (hopefully for free) Each character has a special ability which appears locked to the character this is ok, but it would have been nice if this was assignable as the standard items to a loadout.

Gamemodes are intruiging; you can play as a generic Henchman in some of the modes and lack the powers the oridinary characters have all henchmen then work to kill the 'one man army'. This and some other modes are entertaining and the Showdown mode is probably the best, where its a standard deathmatch until the end when the victor is determined by elimination. One downside is that the game is entirely peer-to-peer, similar to many console games, meaning you have to play on a non-dedicated server. This can result in laggy connections, but during the several hours I have played the game over a few days, this has not been noticable (other than, perhaps, the host having a slight edge) Hopefully the developers consider adding some dedicated servers to the game and release a server executable it will help in keeping a long-term playerbase.

TLDR Fun 2D battles with both ranged and melee fighting
    Vivid animations and background
    Peer to peer connection can cause some issues
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    Totally worth buying if you like fast games action games that have deep gameplay possiblities. I have not had multiplayer battles like this anywhere else in this detail. The game pokes fun at some action movie icons and is meant to be cheesy. That said the sound and music is befitting the type of game and are strong. Lots of detail in the environments, tons of strategiy possibilities,Totally worth buying if you like fast games action games that have deep gameplay possiblities. I have not had multiplayer battles like this anywhere else in this detail. The game pokes fun at some action movie icons and is meant to be cheesy. That said the sound and music is befitting the type of game and are strong. Lots of detail in the environments, tons of strategiy possibilities, great battle modes, and the graphics really arent bad.

Lots of fun, tons of replay value and customizing options. Get it.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    The only thing keeping me from handing this a solid ten is the odd server behaviour, but even that is probably run of the mill early post-launch bugginess. It's fun, hilarious, fast-paced, pretty to look at, and loaded down with character couldn't ask for much more at ten bucks.
  7. Aug 19, 2013
    The Showdown Effect is a brilliant Death-match or TDM game for friends and strangers alike. The game has no single-player and possibly could use one however the game as it stands is heaps of fun and is very challenging.

Unfortunately the community is quite small so if you are interested i highly recommend you get this game with friends. I love this game and i'm just sad that it

I love this game and i'm just sad that it doesn't have a community as big as it deserves.
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    I must give this a game a 10/10 because this game is fun on a bun with a little effort to get the controls down. This game got a bad wrap earlier but now it has improved so much. It deserves at least a 87 meta score it fits it, trust me its underrated by a bunch right now.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Following Magicka’s bad example, we have the same formula. Fun gameplay, miserable connection problems. [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Until you get bored with characters and arenas, fun can be had. Updates will decide whether The Showdown Effect stays with us for longer. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.69]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    The Showdown Effect offers fast paced and fun multiplayer action for a low price of admission. Unfortunately the price point is also evident in the amount of content. However it clearly succeeds as a bite-sized game of frantic, skill based killing.