8.0

1. Apr 29, 2017
    It is a great game with infinite possibilities for its ending, but I gave it 3 days max, than I get bored. It is worth to try, though, sometimes you don't even know why you are compelled to keep going...
  2. May 20, 2014
    Clearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven'tClearly we have all been coned by the developer in of The Stanley Parable and as usual by the so called expert reviewers and of course the 1000+ fake positive reviews. This game is joke! It is mind numbingly repetitive and utterly pointless. And if the point is that they are trying to make some artsy fartsy philosophical revelation they utterly fail. This game ruined my weekend! I haven't bought a Computer game in a couple of years and after this I doubt if I will again for a long time. Don't get sucked in by the demo either. You feel like the demo is leading you somewhere! Challenging you to solve some subtle and challenging puzzle but there is nothing; And you feel drawn in, you need to get the full game to go on to solve the mystery but the game ends in nothing too! That's what this game is nothing. Dull and boring beyond belief. Zero out of 10 Don't buy it! Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2013
    Magnificent. Sophie's World for gamers. Simply no doubt this is a 10/10, after only an hour or two. If you have a curious mind, don't investigate this game. Just get it.
  4. Oct 19, 2013
    It's been so long since a game surprised me with it's originality and satisfied my curiosity. The game is about following the narrator's story, and how much you want to deviate. It's a constant narrative between the player and the narrator, and in the end the game plays you as much as you play it.
  5. Nov 4, 2013
    Calling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The DemoCalling this a game is quite a stretch. its more of a interactive set of stories all based on your decisions, besides the parable itself and its food for thought it is also just plain hilarious. the Narrator character and his lines are just plain genius and i just enjoy the "conflict" between the player and the narrator, which often ends in the narrator getting a little desperate. The Demo for the game is excellently designed as well. Getting the point across what the game is about, without spoiling it (it has its own story). If people are complaining about being disappointing at how its not a game then they haven't played the demo and should look up the "Raphael Parable" video that was made by the developers Expand
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    It's not an FPS, it's not an adventure, it's an experience, a brand new genre, probably like those in Dear Esther or somekind. I never played those kind of games BTW, but Stanley Parable got great reviews everywhere and it kinda intrigue me, so why not.

At first I thought it was something like Portal, but no. Probably the closest comparison to Stanley Parable are text game adventures back in the DOS, or way back to Apple era, where you choose different choices, but now they actually visualize it with Source Engine. One very memorable game I remember was Mickey's Space Adventure. Yep, probably that's the closest comparison.

It start of simple, just an ordinary, average 9-5 employee working in his room. Then you choose what to do. The story grows, and grows. It is said that there're tons of possibilities in this game, so far I only found few. And the game actually tickle your curiosity so you will guaranteed coming back for more.

It's definitely not for everyone, but the story truly made me think about "choices". Specially choices I made in my real life.

And also it's a warm welcome and breath of new fresh air among those popular, mainstream "me too" horror, FPS, war, etc games.
  7. Jun 26, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a very strange but very interesting game. It is very short - about 2-3 hours in terms of total content - but the game can be "beaten" within ten minutes. The important thing to recognize is that "beating" the game isn't the point - the game has north of a dozen endings, and rather than diverging only at the end, the entire GAME changes between them.

The thing to

The thing to recognize about this game is that it is a humor-based game which is also a meta-commentary on other video games, choice in video games (or the illusion thereof), and many other things. Ironically, it has more actual choice than almost any other video game has.

Explaining why the game is great pretty much is a huge spoiler for the game; if you watch the trailers for the game and think they're intriguing, then you're going to enjoy the game. If you don't think the trailers are interesting, then the game will annoy you. And because the trailers are legitimately entertaining in their own right, you aren't wasting your time by watching them.

A word of warning though - the game IS quite short. It has about 2-3 hours worth of content, which is right for what the game is, but you should be aware of that when you buy it. While it is a high quality piece of entertainment, I would say that most people will sit down and go through all the content in a single evening and then likely never touch the game again. So, be aware of that when you buy it, and consider its price accordingly. Still, it is a great game for what it is, though goodness knows what one really calls a game like this - there aren't really any other games which are quite like it.
  8. Oct 23, 2013
    Another game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling andAnother game which reduces almost every previous game by one point. for fun to cost to time ration this game is spot on. I have never laughed so hard, i have never been so immersed in a game. even the demo was a fantastic piece of work. technical, its not that brilliant. its ye olde source engine, and game play wise its not much new, but if you want a story, a story so compelling and interactive. this is you best bet. GOTY, possibly (well as GTA V isn't on PC i couldn't say) but PC GOTY. hell yes. Expand
  9. Dec 3, 2013
    All I can say about this game is that you should buy it. If I say anymore, I'll risk spoiling the plot and it wont be anywhere near as enjoyable as I found it. It's not a game that you will be playing over and over again, but it is a game that you will be playing over and over again.
  10. Oct 17, 2013
    Stanley Parable. Steam PC. Score 10. Demo is a gem. So are you. This review is 150 characters because I love you; and steam; and my cat; I shaved my c
  11. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Even if the total play time is quite short (about 2 / 3 hours to reach the supposed end) the game succeeds in proposing an original and unsettling experience. Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of
    The Stanley Parable demo was intriguing enough to get me play the whole game.

Starting like a seamingly adventure game, you quickly realize that there are no objects to collect or puzzles to solve - except the whole meaning of game itself. And it's here where it really shines.

One critical aspect of all adventure games is plot and dialogue. Here the plot is as mysterious as you could imagine, and the narrator perplexity in what you do funny as well. After a while, you just enjoy the simple act of doing the opposite of what you are supposed to do, exercing free will, enjoying a strange feeling of agency even if it leads to the brutal death of the brave Stanley.

The game even reach the point of developing beyond the Stranger than Fiction plot (if you happen to know the movie) for a moment of sheer delight.

Really, The Stanley Parable does something powerful in the game world : instead of being a little of everything that works in different genres (like Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing), it does not try to be strong where it's weak and focuses all its strengh on what it's great at!

And the developers should be praised for that :)
  12. Jan 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Indie trash without a real game. It's wannabe philosophical, lasts as long as a movie, but is an order of magnitude less interesting than most movies. There were a couple of good jokes that made me smile but it lacks content. The choices you had could have been made so much more interesting than just "go left, go right", replicated 8 times. Expand
  13. Nov 5, 2013
    Clever game that really made me laugh and interest me. I would recommend the game to anyone whose a fan of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Really great voice acting also.
  14. Oct 20, 2013
    The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore.The game is very good. It's like Monty Python Flying Circus gags are fresh and you'll never tell how it ends. What I like about this game is that it doesn't show you everything it has like most of the games these days do. If you follow the Narrator's instructions you'll see just a fraction of this awesome game and most of it's content will remain uncovered. You'll have to explore. Unfortunately the game is very short. It'll take you a couple of hours to try every "wrong" turn from the storyline. And one more hour to explore what you missed after reading forums. But that's the only flaw of this game. Expand
  15. Oct 20, 2013
    I loved this game as a mod and it is even better now. Yes, it is a bit shorter than most games. This is reflected in the price which is much lower than most games. This has everything the mod had and much more. three times more script according to the developers, and much more polished and up to date as well. This game achieved perfectly what it set out to do. This game is exactly what iI loved this game as a mod and it is even better now. Yes, it is a bit shorter than most games. This is reflected in the price which is much lower than most games. This has everything the mod had and much more. three times more script according to the developers, and much more polished and up to date as well. This game achieved perfectly what it set out to do. This game is exactly what i love about indie games in that it brings a new concept of what a game can be to the mainstream. Often these indie games fail, but occasionally a gem will sort itself out of the rest. This is one of those gems. Of course, not all games are meant for everyone. This is one of those games that you ether love or hate. I happen to think it is fantastic. Especially the broom closet ending. Expand
  16. Oct 21, 2013
    One of the most powerful game experience of all time. If you are not a cod kiddy and have half a brain (having an entire one and maybe some understanding of narrative won't hurt) download the demo, gaze and wonder, than pick up the game.
  17. Nov 19, 2013
    The game starts of great, it engages and is hilarious,....for about 15 minutes. I like the premise, I love how it feels like it was made just for my experience, but it was short-lived, and over in one sitting. Worth 5 bucks, but not any more than that
  18. Oct 25, 2013
    Metacritic reviews make me hate humanity.
    I was disappointed to find that there isn't all that more narrative content than the original mod, but the quality of the new content is amazing, I still believe the adventure line will lead me to freedom.
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    Don't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I wasDon't expect a game, because The Stanley Parable is more like a movie, except slightly more engaging since you control the character's movement. It gives you a false sense of control and decision making as you discover a handful of possible endings, of which you could see them all in a few hours of walking around and enjoying the wonderful announcer's voice. Incredible concept. I was thoroughly entertained. My only complaint was that there wasn't that much content, but if you treat it like a movie, then it was fairly priced and I got a good deal.

PS: Voice work was 10/10
  20. Feb 19, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can lastThe Stanley Parable is a cleverly designed commentary on the nature of video games and story structure. There is nothing in the way of traditional gameplay to be found with the player instead having to simply make decisions as and when required (often these choices are whether or not to follow ‘the narrators’ instructions). Depending on what decisions are made each playthrough can last from 2-15 minutes but to fully understand the games messages it really needs to be played multiple times (with different choices being made) so that a variety of the multiple endings can be seen.

Most people will only play The Stanley Parable for an hour or two, so at about £10 it is perhaps a little too expensive, but it is certainly something that gamers should experience for themselves. I know it got me thinking anyway!
  21. Oct 21, 2013
    This is not a game. It's a lousy experiment with a pricey tag. There are better (and, actually, you know) GAMES than this for the price. Wild Games Studio ask too much.
  22. Nov 11, 2015
    A pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator'sA pretty fun and unusual game. It's mostly a parody on certain mechanics used in games, most notably the idea of player choice. Throughout the entire time, there is a narrator speaking to the player, who is trying hard to guide the player along a certain direction. The player can then choose to listen to the narrator or wander off and do what they feel like, which gets on narrator's nerves.

There isn't all that much content in the game, and I kind of wish it had more, but what is there is certainly worth experiencing. The game is both funny and thought-provoking. "Now, Stanley, let's go and find the story." :D
  23. Jan 7, 2014
    The first thing I wanted to do after playing through this thing was come on here and read the inevitable zero-rating reviews from people who need to be famous as memes. You guys are gold!
  24. Oct 18, 2013
    It's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up soIt's a fun, refreshing experience. It's not much of a game though, much more of an experience or some sort of art within itself. While I did enjoy the game very much I also do think most reviewers highly exaggerate. It's a fun 2-3 hour experience depending how curious you are. I myself played around 2½ and went every path, discovering 95% of what the game has to offer. I looked it up so that's why I know that I missed two easter eggs. Overall the narrator was great. the gameplay nonexistent, but the experience humorous and interesting. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't mind shorter experiences with no replay value. Once you have seen all the paths and endings there is no reason to ever play again as you discovered everything there is and then it just repeats itself. Good game, but nowhere near 'OMG best game eva, GOTY 2013!' as many silly fan boys make it out to be. Expand
  25. May 29, 2014
    You guys think that you are really intelligent or happy? Oh, really? Okay then, play this game and after we gonna talk.
    This isn't a game at all. Because games allowed us to play the game. But now, things changed my friends. This is something new. This is a philosophy, this is a psychology, this is a funny joke, this is our job... Actually this is our life. This is one of the best thing i've ever witnessed in my entire life.
    So my advice; don't play this game if you don't love to talk with your friends meaninglessly about 2 hours.
  26. Mar 11, 2014
    This game genuinely made me feel like I was wasting my life. I actually felt suicidal while playing, wishing I could somehow cause the game to end entirely by having my character kill himself. Going through this game is tedious and somewhat torturous. I wasn't entirely bored by it, it was interesting enough and amusing enough to keep me playing for a few hours. But make no mistake, this isThis game genuinely made me feel like I was wasting my life. I actually felt suicidal while playing, wishing I could somehow cause the game to end entirely by having my character kill himself. Going through this game is tedious and somewhat torturous. I wasn't entirely bored by it, it was interesting enough and amusing enough to keep me playing for a few hours. But make no mistake, this is a legitimate walking simulator with less gameplay functions than the new Amnesia. It's a game for people with limited perspective. If you're impressed by psuedo-intellectual ramblings you'll enjoy this far more than me. This was nothing new, nothing groundbreaking, nothing smart, nothing innovative. It was none of these things to me.

If I had to describe it in one sentence it would be this: It's like portal except there's no challenge and you wonder when your character will fall down and expire so you can move on with your life.

Also the broom closet ending was f**king cash.
  27. Mar 2, 2014
    Quite an experience. This is a must play for everyone. Hilarious duologue, and a huge branching narrative will have you coming back again and again looking for every detail in the "story". Just when you think you have found everything, the game throws you a curve ball and you go for another wild journey with the narrator.
  28. Oct 22, 2013
    A game like this is very hard to describe due to how original it is. It's also hard to describe without spoiling anything. So I'll try to be general but still descriptive enough. It's intelligent and classy yet paradoxical and zany. It's a game that will always leave you curious and always thinking while maintaining rather simple styles of gameplay. Very worthy the money.
  29. Oct 18, 2013
    Very entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-LifeVery entertaining, but short lived... the voice acting is amazing and it makes the whole experience (its not a game as such) very enjoyable indeed. Its very reminiscent of Douglas Adams in the writing style and if you enjoyed Hitch-hikers or Portal 2 I think you would enjoy this. Too many reviews gush at this title, then try to be obtuse to be cool, its not the best thing since Half-Life 2, but it is an enjoyable and intelligent work that is worth your attention. Expand
  30. Jan 1, 2014
    To be honest I was scared the whole time I played this. I'm so accustomed to violent super serious games that every corner I feared that there was some jump scare or zombie awaiting me. But once I played it a million times over I knew I had nothing to worry about. The game is almost perfect.
  31. Dec 29, 2013
    By far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing aroundBy far the most....different game I have ever played. I would try to explain the actual game to you but I think it would be a spoiler, so I will try to explain the general basis/ idea of it. Basically the game allows you to make multiple decisions that influence what happens. There isn't really much of a story, there's only one path that gives a story, the rest of it is just messing around trying out the different ways to get through the game.

The narrator offers funny, interesting and hilarious commentary, and the game is completely based around it. If you don't like listening to a lot of funny narration then this game is not for you, and you need better tastes.
  32. Oct 21, 2013
    Incredible proof that games, can indeed be art. Easily one of the best narrative focused games to come out this year. A must play for all mature gamers.
  33. Apr 2, 2014
    I've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most excitingI've always been of the opinion that if a game doesn't contain or focus very heavily on gameplay and mechanics, it's not a game. But the Stanley Parable is something which, ironically, EVERY gamer should at least consider, even though it's a very controversial one. No, you're not going to get some super-amazing all-in-one experience. Nor are you going to get the longest or most exciting "game". Nor is there any notion of GAMEPLAY. However, this piece of art illustrates the problem of having no gameplay altogether. It's weird and wonderful. It's repetitive yet different every time. It's easy to understand yet infinitely complex. The game can be interpretted in so many ways, and there is so much to discover behind its seemingly shallow exterior, I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for something that will entertain you in ways you couldn't have imagined. What is perhaps most commendable about The Stanley Parable isn't the whole "game within a game within a game" concept, but its presentation. The slick narration combined with sharp graphics and incredible attention to detail as well as a whole host of secrets, twists, pathways and endings to discover make it feel longer than it actually is. You might get bored of it after a few hours, but those first few crucial moments are something that can't be experienced anywhere else. It's a rich experience but one that isn't so muddled that it's difficult to make progress. Exploration of what seems to be an extremely linear game is very rewarding because the narrator speaks to you personally. The comedy value as well as the unique concept make The Stanley Parable a stand-out piece of entertainment that can't be expressed through any other medium. Expand
  34. Nov 25, 2013
    Very witty, clever, engaging, thought provoking and detailed. But... £10 for 2 hours played? If you don't mind spending £10 or whatever that is where you are on a movie that is very good, but you won't watch again, then this is probably a good game for you. If it had been half the price I would give it a 10/10.
  35. Oct 19, 2013
    To explain why this game is so brilliant and genius would be to rob it of its true value. You must play this game. It's the perfect deconstruction of the relationships among the player, the protagonist, and the storyline. It offers the player the most agency I've ever seen in a video game, but at the same time doesn't. It's beyond words.
  36. Dec 22, 2013
    This game costs too much for what it offers. Brilliant idea, but you just move with arrows in a repetitive ambient. Poor realization, boring game, VERY FUN for the first couple of hours, after which you'll have explored everything you could, wondering why you did that.
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around. PORTAL has very similar concepts, but
    Rate 6 for the concept.
    Should be a lot lower for the realization all around.
    PORTAL has very similar concepts, but it's actually a game in which you have to think and do stuff... you know? a game, basically. This is not. And after all, it's not as clever as it could.
  37. Oct 17, 2013
    I won't say a damn thing about this game. Every little thing I may talk about it will be a spoiler and this game is all about those spoilers eventually. SO if you want to know why this game is 10/10, go buy it now
  38. Oct 21, 2013
    This is unfortunately a bad videogame, with very little gameplay and level design that consists of a couple of corridors, a few big rooms and some random references to other videogames. Its "oh-so-clever" commentary on choice is something I've discussed before with friends within about 5 minutes while sipping on some coffee, for free, without having to waste 15$ and 2 hours of my lifeThis is unfortunately a bad videogame, with very little gameplay and level design that consists of a couple of corridors, a few big rooms and some random references to other videogames. Its "oh-so-clever" commentary on choice is something I've discussed before with friends within about 5 minutes while sipping on some coffee, for free, without having to waste 15$ and 2 hours of my life playing something boring to reach the same conclusion. If this was free, I'd be kinder to it as an invitation to a discussion using the gaming medium as language, but it is not worth paying for. Expand
  39. Dec 15, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound messageOne of the best games I have ever played. Does it have actual gameplay? Neither did The Walking Dead and that (my favorite game) won game of the year, so it just depends on how you look at it. If you don't appreciate (abstract) storytelling you will not like this game. However, if you go into it with an open mind, you will come out with an amazing experience, with a profound message backed by a brilliant and intriguing soundtrack. An altogether beautiful game. Expand
  40. Nov 9, 2013
    The game is interesting for about an hour, after that repetition, repetition with minor twists. Not enough to keep me satisfied in any case.

With all the good reviews here I really expected more.
  41. Oct 17, 2013
    Is this a game? I don't know, but what I do know is that it's a wonderful thing no matter what it is. It's not conventional, but since it's a game based around deconstructing convention, I think that works perfectly in its favor.
  42. Oct 24, 2013
    As awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looksAs awesome as this game is and as clever and unique it feels I just wish deep down a bit that there was some more content for the $15 bucks but that's my only issue with the game. First off its an indie adventure game where choice is everything, kindof You'll understand quickly how the game plays on your emotions and when some of it hits you its a fantastic enjoyment. The game looks fine, it is just an indie adventure game the graphics fit perfectly with all thats needed for your enjoyment from this game. The narrator is fantastic as well. Definitely play this game when you get the chance, if you're patient just buy on some steam sale like always. But if you're a major gamer like me it's worth a pickup of $15 bucks! Expand
  43. Feb 7, 2018
    To explain this game, I'm going to compare it to other popular and good games, I hope you've played them.

This game is like Half-life 1 if it stopped at the end of the tram ride. This game is like half-life 2 if it was only playing around with the gravity gun inbetween the first two acts. This game is like rocket league, but single player and no ball. This game is like Pubg but

This game is like Half-life 1 if it stopped at the end of the tram ride.
    This game is like rocket league, but single player and no ball.
    This game is like Pubg but everyone starts with the same weapons on an even map.
    This game is like tf2, if there was only one class.
    This game is like counter-strike but with horrible lag.
    This game is like starcraft, but you can only play against the AI & no storyline.

This game is the shell of a game, is the idea of a game. It's a mod. IT IS A MOD. Don't pay 20$.
  44. Oct 21, 2013
    While this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playingWhile this genre of game does not have a lot of a lot of 'gameplay' and does not appeal to everyone, within its genre it is an absolute masterpiece. If you a fan of story driven games like dear Esther, then the Stanley Parable is a must. It is humorous, dark, entertaining, full of eastereggs, and long audio rants. If you are the player wanted to hear all of wheatley's dialog when playing portal 2, then you have a lot to look forward to here. Saying any more would be a spoiler, play the free demo if your are not convinced. Expand
  45. Jan 4, 2014
    Great game, I've never played something like this before, it's not a traditional "finish it and move on game". I compare it to Portal without the puzzles, just the story.
  46. Feb 18, 2017
    Game: The Stanley Parable
    Genre: Adventure
    Publisher/Developer: Galactic Cafe System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 74/100 Value Score: 7.4/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 7/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 6/10 • Length: 3/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 7/10 -Very Short -Barely any music and to the ones available not very memorable
    Game: The Stanley Parable

• Length: 3/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 7/10

-Very Short
    -Barely any music and to the ones available not very memorable
  47. Oct 17, 2013
    The probability of anybody expecting or even anticipating something as mindblowing as "the Stanley Parable" is next to none. But it happened, and the Stanley's path is a wonderful journey of emotions, interactions and fun. For what seemed like hours, I was sitting back, and enjoying the narrative experience that the Stanley's Parable is. The truth was, the game is so rich and diverse inThe probability of anybody expecting or even anticipating something as mindblowing as "the Stanley Parable" is next to none. But it happened, and the Stanley's path is a wonderful journey of emotions, interactions and fun. For what seemed like hours, I was sitting back, and enjoying the narrative experience that the Stanley's Parable is. The truth was, the game is so rich and diverse in it's very core that it dragged me in it's story far more than it should. Everything about the game that needs to be executed properly, well... is. It exceeds my expectations of top-notch games with it's original approach to an original setting. The great factor about the Stanley Parable is it's terrific replay value. I couldn't believe how much fun could discovering all the endings be, as well as how funny and original many of the jokes and pun this game makes are. It is the first game this year that makes me really think about what it tries to present to the player, with it's clever monologues and great scripting. It is hard for me not to recommend this masterpiece to everyone I know, but I think YOU! will do. Good luck trying to exit the beautiful, simplistic world of The Stanley Parable, because I'm still trapped in the room 427. Expand
  48. Oct 18, 2013
    A game about breaking the fourth wall that's about as subtle and complex as the Three Stooges.

If you want to play an actually complex and subtle game about breaking the fourth wall, play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.
  49. Oct 22, 2013
    First off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would haveFirst off. This is not a game, it is a walking simulator that contains very little actual gameplay and is focused on story and narrative which is delivered by your standard British holier than thou voice which very quickly becomes annoying. The message that the game is trying to convey is admittedly interesting but nowhere near the thought provoking masterpiece that reviewers would have you believe. Overall it has its merits and if you enjoy games such as gone home or dear esther it could be worth a purchase but as of now asking $15 for this is simply insulting. Highly recommend either getting it in a steam sale or the inevitable indie bundle that will contain it Expand
  50. Dec 5, 2013
    This is exactly the sort of thing that gets overrated by critics. It's short, and it's different. That's not to say it's bad. The narrator is terrific and hilarious. It's a neat little meta-commentary about video games. It's certainly worth playing through for a few hours to see everything.
  51. Jan 18, 2014
    A fascinating and fresh game. At first it may seem it will be an awful experience, because there's no guns or explosions. But you'll quickly understand why this game deserves such high ratings.
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    Along with your walking there will be a funny, interesting and humorous narrator. You make the story with your decisions, you change the
    There's is 0 gameplay, you walk and you walk... and walk.
    You make the story with your decisions, you change the course of the game with the paths you take, and the narrator always has an opinion on everything you do.
    And the voice actor... OHH, the voice actor. A majestic voice that will make you shed a tear with every sentence.
    You have a lot of paths you can take, and the game has a lot of endings and secrets!
    I wasted around 2-3 hours playing and re-playing the game, trying to get all the endings. I still missed 1
    or 2 "secret endings, but nothing major.
    Anyways, this game is a great experience and it's different from anything out there right now.
    I don't give it a 10/10 because after completing the game it has 0 re-playability, and the game starts getting a little repetitive after your 100th try, but it quickly hides it with the new narrator lines.
    Go buy it, you will not regret it.
  52. Oct 31, 2013
    This is a game that isn't a game. It is an adventure that isn't an adventure. It is a oxymoron that isn't an oxymoron.

This is a game where there is no action, this is a narrative story. If you look for all the little secrets, it'll take you about 4 hours. If you rush through every ending and don't bother with any of the funny little hidden things, maybe about 2 hours. If you look at the achievements and then decide not to buy the game because the game can be sped run in less than 4 minutes and 22 seconds, just remember how Mario Bros. can be finished in less than 5 minutes.

If you like the narrator you will love it, if you hate the narrator you will hate it. End of story, personally I liked him and his humor so this is a 9/10 for me. If you don't like him you'll probably rate it anywhere from a 0-3.
  53. Dec 30, 2014
    Disappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there areDisappointing. Just purchased this for £3 on steam. Completed it in two attempts and under 15 minutes. By 'completed' I mean I reached the end/credits zone. Not impressed. It's a mildly interesting diversion - but £3 for less than 15 minutes makes it very expensive (not to mention linier and simplistic) entertainment compared to say £40 for 100+ hours on Dragon Age 3. I'm sure there are alternate looping paths through the game, but knowing the ending I'm really not that interested. Expand
  54. Aug 5, 2015
    I really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtfulI really enjoyed the Stanley Parable. Clever game, with excellent narration and rewards exploration. If you like walking sims and just exploring the worlds to see what will happen there's plenty to find in this game - and again the narration is excellent. If you've worked in an office environment there's a lot of jokes to identify with also - but there's also some thoughtful philosophical observations built into the game. I've played about 5 1/2 hours so far trying to find different hidden elements of the game and have found alot of them, but there are still more.

If this even sounds halfway interesting to you play it. I haven't played anything quite like it, and found it totally worth the exploration.
  55. May 1, 2014
    If there ever was a game that deserved LESS to be said about it, this is it. You really need to dive in head first and try it. Completely original and entertaining. Especially if you've ever worked in an office.
  56. Oct 20, 2013
    This is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you areThis is slick entertainment and propaganda. The message is worth hearing, but you'll feel gobsmacked after the first few repetitions. Although you may need a few hours to explore all the endings, they all end at the same message. Replay value on this game is VERY LOW. You can easily look up a lot of the Easter eggs on-line, or watch a film of the main options (75 minutes). If you are obsessive enough to find all of the possibilities, clearly the message has missed you! Expand
  57. Feb 13, 2014
    This was an interesting experience to say the least, I'm not sure if this would be called a game, but more of a choose-your-own-adventure story. I personally found this game to be amusing, At times it can be light and humorous, and at others it can take a deep and psychological path. it was very interesting and i enjoyed the time i played it, the only real downside is its a bit short forThis was an interesting experience to say the least, I'm not sure if this would be called a game, but more of a choose-your-own-adventure story. I personally found this game to be amusing, At times it can be light and humorous, and at others it can take a deep and psychological path. it was very interesting and i enjoyed the time i played it, the only real downside is its a bit short for $15 game, so while i would recommend buying it, i may consider waiting for it to go on sale. Expand
  58. Sep 21, 2014
    I'm not usually a big fan of the genre known as "walking simulators" but The Stanley Parable, despite it's short length, has won me over thanks to its hilarious Douglas Adams style of writing with several laugh-out-loud moments. The game also plays a bit like a first person version of a visual novel, which means multiple endings aplenty.
  59. Oct 20, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you'reThe Stanley Parable is an adventure game, and the premise is that you play as Stanley, a man who is content at his job where he pushes the buttons he's told to all day, every day. When Stanley discovers that his office is mysteriously empty, he decides to investigate. He comes to a room with two doors, and according to the narrator, Stanley chooses the door on his left, but you're controlling Stanley, not the narrator.

There are many, many choices in this game, and they all have interesting consequences. I'm not going to spoil any choices (beyond the first), because the magic of The Stanley Parable is figuring it out yourself. It also helps that the humor in this game is great.

This game's demo is free, and you should play it. Seriously. Even if you plan to get this game, play the demo first, because the content is entirely different from the main game, and there's at least one joke from the demo that is referenced in the game. If you want more, check out the original Stanley Parable, which is also free. This game is a remake of that game with much more content.

This isn't much of a "game", but as a piece of interactive storytelling, it's wonderful. If you're curious, try the demo, and if you liked that, you'll love the main game. For me, it was definitely worth $15 and I would definitely recommend it. If I were to rate this game from one to ten, it would get an EIGHT! EIGHT! EIGHT!
  60. Oct 30, 2013
    One of the best things I have played in a long time. For the few hours this takes to complete in its entity this is engrossing and totally throws everything you think about video game conventions on its head. I think you need to just take it at face value and you will have one of the best video game experiences in years. Top stuff
  61. Mar 1, 2014
    Great narrator. I really liked him. He describes everything I do and every choice I make, like I'm in a book. The Stanley Parable is the first of its kind. It criticizes the modern way of living and shows how this life really looks like. The story is unpredictable. I thought that I'm playing that game. But later I said: Oh I feel stupid. This game is playing me.
  62. Oct 19, 2013
    Clearly, the people who designed this game are brilliant, and the message is profound, but be warned that there is no actual gameplay here “The Stanley Parable” is an indie flick with arrow keys. It’s worth navigating through the narrative if for no other reason than to hear the critique on game culture written by the developers, but this is a simple stroll through a static world thatClearly, the people who designed this game are brilliant, and the message is profound, but be warned that there is no actual gameplay here “The Stanley Parable” is an indie flick with arrow keys. It’s worth navigating through the narrative if for no other reason than to hear the critique on game culture written by the developers, but this is a simple stroll through a static world that offers no traditional gameplay value. Which is ironic, given the mood of the storytelling. Expand
  63. Oct 9, 2014
    -Snip-
    ...............................................................................................................................................
  64. Jan 16, 2014
    Strange, funny, thought-provoking. But probably not for everyone.

Strange, funny, thought-provoking. But probably not for everyone.

It's difficult to describe why I liked it. It doesn't have cutting edge graphics, there isn't a lot of interaction with the environment beyond walking around a strange office and occasionally pushing a button, and even when I had explored all the paths and endings I could find (plus a few others with the help of a guide) it probably didn't last longer than about 3 hours.

As a game it is limited and very short even for the price, but it made me think about the nature of games, life, reality, choice, and many other things. It also made me laugh a lot. I think anything that does all that (not just games but music, films, books etc) deserves a thumbs up. Plus I will always have a soft spot for indie devs trying something different.
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    The narration really seals the deal on this game. I was surprised at a lot of the endings. Caught myself smiling quite a few times at the twists and turns your character experiences. I really don't want to go into detail about it, my suggestion to you, if you're reading these reviews trying to decide if you should get it is: close this page, don't read another word more about it, buy itThe narration really seals the deal on this game. I was surprised at a lot of the endings. Caught myself smiling quite a few times at the twists and turns your character experiences. I really don't want to go into detail about it, my suggestion to you, if you're reading these reviews trying to decide if you should get it is: close this page, don't read another word more about it, buy it and load it up. It's not very long at all, but it's exceptionally well done. If you like adventure games and stuff that sits outside of the norm, then enjoy Expand
  66. Aug 31, 2014
    I'm not sure why this game ever got such good reviews really. It's mostly a passive experience, listening to some guy droning on and on forever as you just walk about. It has very simplistic graphics, built on the old Half Life source engine. It's been cut down though, so you can't jump, open doors, or do anything much, apart from interact with about 1 item in every 10 rooms. I was boredI'm not sure why this game ever got such good reviews really. It's mostly a passive experience, listening to some guy droning on and on forever as you just walk about. It has very simplistic graphics, built on the old Half Life source engine. It's been cut down though, so you can't jump, open doors, or do anything much, apart from interact with about 1 item in every 10 rooms. I was bored of wandering around the same office after about 20 minutes - there's really only a handful of rooms, and most are totally non-interactive. I don't think the author should be encouraged to make anything else like this, it's just terrible.

I don't recommend it to anyone, unless they have trouble sleeping, and want to nod off with this droning in their ears!
  67. Oct 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a game, this is simply piece of art. The whole time you are exploring different paths trying to figure out what is the meaning of the game trying to find an "answer" ...where are the employes, what is goin on?
    And the real answer is by my understanding that there is no answer ...and that the "employes" are other players before you who have played and realized that the game itself is "mind controlling" you into playing over and over again trying to find that goal and that really ...you are Stanley in real life siting behind your desk playing a game that really is not a game. :D
  68. Oct 20, 2013
    Really funny game I couldn't put it down. Just keep wanting to play it but that's about the only down side I have to it is that it's short. Have to say my fav part is the line one in how it just keeps going and going and going till you get the real" ending.
  69. Dec 1, 2013
    As stated by my fellow reviewers, this is more of a walking simulator than a game. I purchased this expecting a videogame that would show a new face of the industry, a true experiencie that could match its appealing and daring title. But none of it had a solid reason The Stanley Parable's joke doesn't lie in its narrator's annoying voice, but in the fact itself of the customers spendingAs stated by my fellow reviewers, this is more of a walking simulator than a game. I purchased this expecting a videogame that would show a new face of the industry, a true experiencie that could match its appealing and daring title. But none of it had a solid reason The Stanley Parable's joke doesn't lie in its narrator's annoying voice, but in the fact itself of the customers spending up to 15 in an experience that can last some ridiculous 4 minutes.

There is no plot whatsoever. There is no gameplay. There is no replayability. The developers thought they had discovered the ultimate, true meaning of life and tried to make the statement in the shape of a videogame they could, why noy, charge an abusive price for.

Truth be told, if you are slightly intelligent and have spent some hours along your life wondering about existence, its meaning and the approach our society has taken to it, this "game" turns bold and useless. Doing some research on YouTube's walkthroughs will try to teach you the same obvious facts while being free of charge; thus I encourage you to disregard this piece of software.

Play the mod if you can't help it, but don't support this degree of laziness which I fear could easily extend to future games. And maybe that way we will prevent developers from taking themselves as the new men of Renaissance, something they are clearly not.

Uninstalled.
  70. Oct 22, 2013
    Less of a game, more of an interactive novel, you don't really play the game, you simply experience it. One of the most limiting games ever, it makes an attempt to appear deep, often over analyzed by the gaming community, this game is not that deep, it does not break any new walls, it simply is very restrictive and meta.

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get

The game is very short and often relies on you to cheat to get achievements in the game. If you are actually looking for a game to "play", The Stanley Parable is not it.
  71. Jan 23, 2014
    A game that is both fun and interesting and I can guarantee that it will make you think outside the box. The Narrator is what makes this game great and thanks to his priceless comments, you'll end up doing the weirdest things just to see his reaction to it :-)
    One of the greatest things about this game is that you can never quite finish it. There'll always be a few things you've missed here and there, and even though I've played it for quite a while now there's probably still 1 or 2 endings I haven't found yet.
    In any case this is a great game and I'll recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor :D
  72. Oct 20, 2013
    I really don't get this game. It was quite entertaining when I first played it, but it got boring very soon. It's just missing the core element games must have FUN. I don't care if there's interesting story, or good voice acting of narrator as long this game is no fun. Replaying same bits over and over just to find different solution is annoying and boring. So, don't believe them critics,I really don't get this game. It was quite entertaining when I first played it, but it got boring very soon. It's just missing the core element games must have FUN. I don't care if there's interesting story, or good voice acting of narrator as long this game is no fun. Replaying same bits over and over just to find different solution is annoying and boring. So, don't believe them critics, who see masterpiece in this beautifully crafted but utterly boring creation. Expand
  73. Oct 21, 2013
    This game is amazing! Well worth the 12$ price tag. I've been playing for the past 2 hours and a half and there was always something new and interesting! Almost perfection
  74. Oct 17, 2013
    Keep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not countingKeep in mind a few things... When it comes to the demo, the demo displays the style of The Stanley Parable, and it does so very well. The Stanley Parable embodies the same type of interesting exploration and fourth wall breaking Narrator dialogue. It is sufficiently ahead of the mod to be worth playing. The time in game may be short to some (estimated 2-3 hours of playtime, not counting achievements, for all the endings), but for the quality of the time spent, this is very much worth it. There are games probably only two times the length of this that sell for $50 or $60. Do not hesitate to pay the $15. It is worth the quality of this game. Expand
  75. Nov 11, 2013
    Love it It got a Portal feeling to it.... and it got a portal lvl in it Awesome!!
  76. Nov 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed my first hour in the game. They pull off the humor quite well. However, by the second hour I was chasing down endings I hadn't seen yet. I completed every known ending in about 2 hours. There isn't enough content to justify the price. I enjoyed the demo more than the actual game.
  77. Oct 21, 2013
    Whenever I complete a game, I ask myself "would I have been content watching someone else play this game?" The Stanley Parable is one of those few games along side with Gone Home, Dear Esther, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs that I have answered "Yes" to that question. In the barest form, the Stanley Parable is a walking simulator with an interactive choice driven audio book attached toWhenever I complete a game, I ask myself "would I have been content watching someone else play this game?" The Stanley Parable is one of those few games along side with Gone Home, Dear Esther, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs that I have answered "Yes" to that question. In the barest form, the Stanley Parable is a walking simulator with an interactive choice driven audio book attached to it. Whenever I started watching YouTube videos on the first Batman Arkham game to decide if I wanted to buy it or not, I had to desire to play the game. I wanted to overcome the challenges myself and after getting 100% on Asylum and City, I can say that I achieved that. I beat the Joker, Penguin, Bane, Thug #427, and the Riddler. I stopped Hugo Strange! I overcame those challenges not someone else. I had to deal with the consequences of failing a particular section. The Stanley Parable presents no challenges, no reason to play the game after you have experienced every ending, and no way to fail the game besides not at least getting one ending. The only reason I can see why you would want to play the game versus watching someone else play is the inquisitive thought you will have when the person takes one choice over the other. You will ask yourself what would happen. However, I did not feel any sort of accomplishment playing this game. I felt the same hollow feeling when I played Dear Esther, Gone Home, and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs as I asked the game as if It would talk back "is this it? Is this all you have to offer?". I felt like I had wasted money, that I had fallen into the trap of my friends proclaiming the game's greatness and brilliance, that I had given into the hype of the game. Expand
  78. Oct 17, 2013
    From the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´tFrom the demo which was different from the main game to every ending in game. The Stanley Parable matches to show off real branching of storyline and many endings. Kevan Brigtning, who is narrator matches standards of Portal 2, which is known for fantastic narration. From the achievement for clicking on door 430 five times. (Be sure to turn achievements on in extras) What most people don´t know that this game is based on 2011 source mod, with same name. If demo was not enough try that and you will be sure that you want this game. For game at this price point the graphics is very good and does its job, game runs under almost 10 years old source engine, which shows its age. I´m able to give this game 10/10 for amazing branching story, epic amount of fun and superb narration. I want to see what will Galactic Cafe do next. Expand
  79. Dec 27, 2013
    A refreshing indie game with an ironic view on first person adventure games. At least it isn't a linear storytelling like Dear Eshter or the controversial Gone Home. It was fun, has many endings you can explore. Still, it felt a little bit overpriced when it came out.
  80. Oct 19, 2013
    Any information about this game would pretty much ruin it. You explore an office looking for your co-workers and you are presented with simple decisions like which door to take. It's very enjoyable and there are tons of alternate endings and hidden easter eggs. Not a game in the traditional sense but a great experience.
  81. Apr 20, 2014
    To sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quiteTo sum it up in a few words, it is confusingly smart. Yeah, I said that. With the huge paradox that is this game, the many alternate paths you can take and all the different endings you can find, this game has a pretty decent replay value. The narrator is pretty funny as well. Maybe you already know what the game is about. Maybe you don't. In either case, I'm not telling because it's quite interesting to find out for yourself... but with all these good things, there is a downside... It's repetitive. And I don't think you'll be playing this for more than 2 hours. 6/10 Expand
  82. Oct 27, 2014
    It's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way toIt's very difficult to describe what kind of game this is. But to sum it all up in my book, it's the choice-lovers' kind of game. Imagine if Morgan Freeman narrated the character of your life and you are able to hear it and decide to give that narrator the middle finger by not following his instructions and he decide to narrate and argue back into you following him--- That's one way to describe this game. Expand
  83. Oct 18, 2013
    Not a particularly brilliant game. Some jokes were amusing, but quickly became old and boring with each "replay". Easy to get all endings within a few hours, and game quickly becomes pointless and worthless thereafter. Definitely not worth its overinflated reviews or price. Wait for a sale.
  84. Dec 3, 2013
    I'll start off by saying that the game itself was great. It was funny and entertaining and I'm glad that I played it. However, I can not give this game a 10, nor say I would recommend this game to my friends, simply because the game is too short. It also has no re-playability whatsoever. However, it's a catch-22, as if there were more than 2-4 hours content, the game would lose itsI'll start off by saying that the game itself was great. It was funny and entertaining and I'm glad that I played it. However, I can not give this game a 10, nor say I would recommend this game to my friends, simply because the game is too short. It also has no re-playability whatsoever. However, it's a catch-22, as if there were more than 2-4 hours content, the game would lose its novelty. You can complete every ending in the game in 2-4 hours depending on how much attention you pay to the visuals/narrator. I only paid $8 for it on Steam sale, so it was basically like hiring a movie.

On the positive side, this was probably the most thought provoking game I've played in the 25 years I have been a PC gamer. Every moment I was playing it was utterly engrossing and, despite the game having a narrator, felt very immersive. I was sad when my options started running out, leaving me with what is an empty shell of familiarity.

If the game did not cost money, or was something like $2, I would have no hesitation in giving it a 10/10 and recommending it to my friends. However for the same price as I got this game on Steam sale, I could purchase something like Far Cry 3 which has far, far more content.
  85. Oct 18, 2013
    All these 10 reviews must be written by kids who have never read sci-fi or seen any good movies. This game I bite my tongue as I refer to this time-sink as a game is so overhyped. There is some humor in it, but nothing funny enough to pass the "I blew some air out of my nose" level. I've unlocked 9 out of 10 achievements and found most of the endings and find the whole experience toAll these 10 reviews must be written by kids who have never read sci-fi or seen any good movies. This game I bite my tongue as I refer to this time-sink as a game is so overhyped. There is some humor in it, but nothing funny enough to pass the "I blew some air out of my nose" level. I've unlocked 9 out of 10 achievements and found most of the endings and find the whole experience to be largely unmemorable. I feel no desire to launch the game again to explore any further. Expand
  86. Oct 22, 2013
    An absolutely piece of game. It claims to be a parable, and while it is insultingly stupid there's no profound lesson here for you to learn. Other than a series of arbitrary choices. Ultimately you'll only enjoy this if you want to play a comedy game with dull oh-so-witty humour from the British narrator. Don't play this. Also it pisses me off that this doesn't get the same "Is it reallyAn absolutely piece of game. It claims to be a parable, and while it is insultingly stupid there's no profound lesson here for you to learn. Other than a series of arbitrary choices. Ultimately you'll only enjoy this if you want to play a comedy game with dull oh-so-witty humour from the British narrator. Don't play this. Also it pisses me off that this doesn't get the same "Is it really a GAME?" criticism that Gone Home did when this is much worse and insultingly shallow. Expand
  87. Oct 31, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant. It's like Antichamber meets Bastion meets The Fight Club. Note that it's closer to an interactive storytelling than to a game per se, however the branching and numerous quirks are so complex that no other media besides games can offer the same experience.
  88. Oct 28, 2013
    So, I bought this "game" for $15 during a Steam sale I regretted my decision almost immediately.

This game has a great user rating (which means far more to me than any critic rating) and after watching the trailers and reading some reviews, I decided to take a chance. Now to be fair, I knew this wasn't your typical game, but touted as rather a "movie-type" game that you really

Now to be fair, I knew this wasn't your typical game, but touted as rather a "movie-type" game that you really navigated through; however, the payoff was to be amusing, twisted, deep, though-provoking and every other type of adjective your typical hipster would throw at a game like this.

I found this game to be none of that, albeit slightly amusing at moments. The narration is awesome; however, it, along with the games "jokes" wear thin pretty quick and make the game tedious and boring.

After about three hours of playing and approximately 2.5 hours of boredom and disinterest, I finally shut the game off and watched the walk-thru on You Tube. It was literally the same experience as "playing" the game, only more convenient and free. After watching all the possible endings I just shrugged my shoulders and immediately uninstalled.

Now quick disclaimer: I love developers who take chances with games, and on that note, I totally give these guys props; however, taking chances does not a good game make and this game, on any level, is not good. Save your money and just watch the walk-thru on You Tube.
  89. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but inThis is a smartass non-game that might as well be constantly asking you "Am I blowing your mind? IS YOUR MIND BLOWN?". It isn't. I've played Gravity Bone and Thirty Flights of Loving. I've played Kentucky Route Zero. I've played Gone Home. I've played The Wolf Among Us. I'm used to this stuff. I imagine that The Stanley Parable might have been groundbreaking when it first came out, but in 2013, being a narrative-driven "interactive experience" just isn't very impressive, and the title doesn't really have anything else to offer. I think it very much has the same problem as Spec Ops: The Line: if you make a bad meta-game (or meta-non-game, I guess) to prove a good point, the player is still stuck playing (or not playing) a bad game (or non-game). It does, however, look pretty good and even maxed out runs at 200+ fps on my sh*tty old PC, so at least technically it's good. In the end, The Stanley Parable exists not to entertain you but to make you think, so if you want to save some money and time, you can watch a let's play and get straight to the thinking part without having to wander around a mostly non-interactive office for an hour or two. Expand
  90. Mar 30, 2014
    This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really.This is of course not a game, yet it's fun for a while (maybe 1-2 hours, until you've seen a dozen of the endings). The narrator is good but the text he reads is not always really funny. Somehow, such humor (about office workers) works better in Dilbert comics - there I laugh quite frequently. There the complex, intellectual-style language feels somehow appropriate, but here - not really. I still have to say that this game surely has many small great details. E.g. the whole Power Point slides sequence in the meeting room is just amazing. And the whiteboards. And the rooms where they tell which pieces of the game looked how before the release. But certainly this game isn't worth its price or any price at all, or maybe something like $1. Since it isn't a game at all, it shouldn't have been created or sold as a game - instead it could be a cartoon or maybe a movie.
    I still give it a rather high score (4) and not 1 or 0 because it does give some fun, even if it's not a lasting one. This product still offers a bit of gameplay - and strangely this kind of gameplay reminds me a typical RPG where you would explore every branch of dialogs with NPCs. Here you explore corridors and doors instead.
    The closest game to this one that comes to mind is Antichamber. However, Antichamber is way way better, there you have diverse puzzles, each with an unexpected solution. Here it's just talking and talking, like in a book/radio/TV show. This game doesn't really feel as if it were made for players and to entertain players but instead to entertain the developers - much like 2010's "Rubber" movie was fun to the director but boring to the audience.
    This app certainly is a fresh innovative attempt, but it's not really a successful attempt. Frankly, I'm not sure that the whole idea for such a game could have resulted into anything playable. Strange that they actually decided to spend effort into developing this stuff.
  91. Oct 30, 2013
    You'll only like this game if you like running in circles or like to see the same stuff you just past but then come across it a hundred more times.. I don't understand one bit of it, is no storyline at all to it and i don't think its really all that fun(making circles), however the puzzling is pretty fun. All i have left to say is, i am 100% happy that i did'nt pay for this peace of crap.You'll only like this game if you like running in circles or like to see the same stuff you just past but then come across it a hundred more times.. I don't understand one bit of it, is no storyline at all to it and i don't think its really all that fun(making circles), however the puzzling is pretty fun. All i have left to say is, i am 100% happy that i did'nt pay for this peace of crap. $15 to watch yourself make all kinds of loops, just like listening to a broken record player. You can get to outside less than half an hour but then if you choose next time to go a totally different route then the game lasts much longer, i dont understand that at all. Would NOT recommend. Expand
  92. Oct 24, 2013
    I can't say much about this game without spoiling something. This was the best narrative experience I have played this year; like portal it's short but in this case that is not a bad thing.

This game is a must buy.
  93. Jan 7, 2014
    An amazingly unique game which is more an experience than an actual game. In a similar vein to Dear Esther the narrative and story are quite amazing and while it lacks some replayability the limited time you will spend in Stanley's world (or the narrators?) is quite amazing and touching.
  94. Oct 19, 2013
    Well I'm sorry but this isn't a game. You basically run around trying to find the story of the game with a narrator helping you do so. The point of it is to show you the limitations of gaming, maybe even of your life but in all honesty, ppl who think about "life" or "games" know that already and don't need this software.

So, if you want a real game a piece of entertainment then avoid

So, if you want a real game a piece of entertainment then avoid this title but if you want to experience what game design is all about then feel free to buy this and run around in circles for an hour.
  95. Dec 28, 2013
    Stanley Parable is simply a masterpiece in the sense of a great Narrative experience. It's wacky, hilarious, and just an overall good play. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a perfect 10 is simply for how expensive it is for its ridiculously short duration for its $20 price tag! I love the game and will definitely go back to it, but the very small amount of things in the game causeStanley Parable is simply a masterpiece in the sense of a great Narrative experience. It's wacky, hilarious, and just an overall good play. The only reason I gave it an 8 instead of a perfect 10 is simply for how expensive it is for its ridiculously short duration for its $20 price tag! I love the game and will definitely go back to it, but the very small amount of things in the game cause it to be completed in an afternoon and leaves you upset at how much you spent for a fraction of a "video version of a chapter of a book" (thankfully, Steam frequently put it on sale in how quickly it already came out, so you can nab it for cheaper). Overall, good experience, but damn is it short! Expand
  96. Nov 3, 2013
    The content within the experience is extremely enjoyable. However, the game was slightly too short for my liking. Getting the vast majority of the endings, it took me 5 hours.
  97. Feb 24, 2014
    Who says games needed gameplay? This is an incredible piece of self-satirical art that is unlike anything else you have ever played. If you prefer shooting aliens in the face over subtext, don't buy this, but if can appreciate a subtle, clever experience, BUY THIS NOW.
  98. Oct 20, 2013
    The pretense is strong in this one.

A User Score of 8.2 and a Metascore of 92 are too high for this game. Very overrated. It's interesting... not necessarily good, but definitely interesting.
  99. Nov 12, 2013
    The Stanley Parable is one of the greatest examples of how an indie game can be so good and so well done and creative with few tools.When looking at the game's core, the entire experience of playing can be defined by one word:creativity; whilst the game itself can be defined by another:choice.

The game's intense metalanguage can make you think for hours, and the way it is played can't be compared by any experience since it's such a unique game.It is quite short and can digress form it's own plot at times, even if at others this is it's main intention, going from the philosophic to the comic, yet it's an amazing work of art developer's wise, embracing the true power of games.
  100. Oct 23, 2013
    Have you ever wanted to live your life narrated by a wonderfully voiced British man? Than Stanley's Parable is perfect for you, whether your adventure takes your to a Broom closest or a blue or red door, this game is pretty awesome. All in all, I had a great time and laughed more than once throughout my, Stanley's, journey.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    The Stanley Parable is many things. It's an interactive comedy, an existential riddle and an experiment in storytelling. Most importantly, it's pretty good. [Nov 2013]
  2. Jan 23, 2014
    It's one of those games that tries and succeeds in making a bold statement. Be prepared for something really special.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2013
    Step away from this review and play it now. Or don't. Whatever you do is already ordained. OR IS IT?! [Jan 2014, p.83]