8.7

1. e_k
    Feb 19, 2014
    A pleasant puzzle-platformer, with above average atmospheric effects (sounds/music/lighting).

Great slow-motion effects (and corresponding sounds!) avoid puzzles from being too "twitchy" (a plus in my books)

However, the puzzles do get somewhat repetitive.
  2. Feb 19, 2014
    The Swapper is a unique puzzle-platformer. The unique mechanic in the game is the ability to clone yourself and "swap" places with that clone. This creates an interesting dynamic that was fun to utilize. The game however falls in other key aspects. The difficulty curve is strange. It starts off relatively easy for about half the game, then it suddenly jumps and you'll get stuck on puzzlesThe Swapper is a unique puzzle-platformer. The unique mechanic in the game is the ability to clone yourself and "swap" places with that clone. This creates an interesting dynamic that was fun to utilize. The game however falls in other key aspects. The difficulty curve is strange. It starts off relatively easy for about half the game, then it suddenly jumps and you'll get stuck on puzzles for a long time, then at the very end the puzzles are all of a sudden easy again. The story is also confusing and relatively uninteresting. The graphics are special, but I certainly wouldn't call them fantastic. The game is also relatively short; I finished it in less than 4 hours. I had high hopes for this game, unfortunately it hasn't lived up to the hype. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2013
    While I don't think the critic reviews are fake, I strongly feel this game is over-hyped. The dark atmosphere and even darker story, do well. But the puzzle element and even the gameplay are more than just coincidentally reminiscent of Limbo. So while 'The Swapper' offers a nice puzzle gimmick, it doesn't warrant a perfect 10. Mainly because this Indie just isn't as original as we wouldWhile I don't think the critic reviews are fake, I strongly feel this game is over-hyped. The dark atmosphere and even darker story, do well. But the puzzle element and even the gameplay are more than just coincidentally reminiscent of Limbo. So while 'The Swapper' offers a nice puzzle gimmick, it doesn't warrant a perfect 10. Mainly because this Indie just isn't as original as we would love it to be. Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2013
    I don't understand why this game has such a ridiculously high review. It's a mildly entertaining puzzle game, different than, but not as fun as Portal in my opinion. Not worth ten dollars.

A mediocre score for a mediocre game.
  5. Jan 8, 2014
    Wow! I was expecting a little more, or maybe all the high scores gave me the impression of something grander. I love indie games, platform and Metroidvania games. I was bored with this game. I had a hard time getting into it... everything about it is sleepy... and nothing urged me to want to play, it didn't capture my attention or imagination. Don't play this at night, because it's a greatWow! I was expecting a little more, or maybe all the high scores gave me the impression of something grander. I love indie games, platform and Metroidvania games. I was bored with this game. I had a hard time getting into it... everything about it is sleepy... and nothing urged me to want to play, it didn't capture my attention or imagination. Don't play this at night, because it's a great sleeping pill. Expand
  6. Aug 11, 2014
    The idea is brilliant, but not enough. If we can add some spices to the game and change that world into something more interesting then it could have been much better.
  7. Jan 8, 2015
    Yes, it is certainly good. But I do not understand the hype. It is a very good indie game but he deserves far from the enthusiasm as had one Limbo.
    -------- -------------- ------------------ ------------------ ----------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------
  8. Dec 13, 2015
    Solid puzzle game, with a couple niggles. 1. The last third of the game is notably easier than the middle third, which contains the hardest puzzles. 2. The story is intriguing and drives the game forwards, but very anti-climactic. It neither resolves the questions raised during the game, nor does it bring much closure. The ending I saw was bleak and didn't make too much sense, tbh. ButSolid puzzle game, with a couple niggles. 1. The last third of the game is notably easier than the middle third, which contains the hardest puzzles. 2. The story is intriguing and drives the game forwards, but very anti-climactic. It neither resolves the questions raised during the game, nor does it bring much closure. The ending I saw was bleak and didn't make too much sense, tbh. But these are minor points, really. As a puzzle game, it's a solid 7 out of 10. Why Metacritic thinks a 7/10 is a "mixed" rating I don't know. To me, 7 out of 10 is a positive review! Expand
  9. Apr 5, 2016
    A clever and innovative puzzle game. The atmosphere is immersive and intriguing; The presentation and sound is simple but effective. It is an elegant experience that is both challenging, fund, and rewarding. If you have even a remote interest in puzzle games, you should definitely give it a go.
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    This game is brilliant!
    At first I was skeptical, but the reviews won me over and I'm glad they did since I've enjoined every last second of this 5 to 6 hour game.
    The game play is simple, so everyone can enjoy it, the music is very nice and the game atmosphere really sets you in. You'll be presenting with a weapon that can create clones of yourself and swap between them (with either
    This game is brilliant!
    You'll be presenting with a weapon that can create clones of yourself and swap between them (with either the right click mouse button or the left one). You can have up to 4 clones and, including yourself, makes a total of 5 people, each moving the same way your main caracter does.
    You'll have to think of how to use your clones and when to swap between them to beat the puzzles the game presents you and let me tell you, these puzzles are so good! They won't be easy, you'll have to think a little before advancing each one, but they are not overwhelming either, so you won't get stuck for long on any of them. It's the perfect balancing that makes them challenging and beating them is really rewarding, making you feel smart and cunning.
    I've got to admit that sometimes I got stuck on a puzzle and I'll just go to work thinking about the solution for it and when I did, man that felt good!
    You just have to be careful with the different types of light, that prevent you from either summoning a clone (blue), swapping between clones (red) or both (purple).
    The story is interesting and gets you into thinking about what is the soul and if it really exists, your consnciousness and death and it's so well constructed that it adds up with everything else the game brings making for a truly remarkable experience.
    Why I didn't give it a 10 then? Replayability. Even though the game has an alternate ending, it isn't worth it to play all the way on the same puzzles and history for a 20 second "cut scene". It's easier to just watch it elsewhere.
    For an indie game and for that price, it's well worth it. Go get out of these reviews and play it.

1. Aug 4, 2014
    The game is not about death or life but about the soul leaving the body and heading someplace new. It’s about the brief moment it spends flying.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 24, 2013
    A puzzle platformer that won't frustrate nor bore you. The puzzles complete a solid story, which is unique even for an indie game. [Issue#234]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    The Swapper is a first-rate puzzle platformer that boasts a gorgeous atmosphere as well. The story doesn't quite live up to its potential, though, but it's not a major issue. [Aug 2013]