8.7

1. Jun 4, 2013
    While I don't think the critic reviews are fake, I strongly feel this game is over-hyped. The dark atmosphere and even darker story, do well. But the puzzle element and even the gameplay are more than just coincidentally reminiscent of Limbo. So while 'The Swapper' offers a nice puzzle gimmick, it doesn't warrant a perfect 10. Mainly because this Indie just isn't as original as we wouldWhile I don't think the critic reviews are fake, I strongly feel this game is over-hyped. The dark atmosphere and even darker story, do well. But the puzzle element and even the gameplay are more than just coincidentally reminiscent of Limbo. So while 'The Swapper' offers a nice puzzle gimmick, it doesn't warrant a perfect 10. Mainly because this Indie just isn't as original as we would love it to be. Expand
  2. e_k
    Feb 19, 2014
    A pleasant puzzle-platformer, with above average atmospheric effects (sounds/music/lighting).

Great slow-motion effects (and corresponding sounds!) avoid puzzles from being too "twitchy" (a plus in my books)

However, the puzzles do get somewhat repetitive.
  3. Dec 13, 2015
    Solid puzzle game, with a couple niggles. 1. The last third of the game is notably easier than the middle third, which contains the hardest puzzles. 2. The story is intriguing and drives the game forwards, but very anti-climactic. It neither resolves the questions raised during the game, nor does it bring much closure. The ending I saw was bleak and didn't make too much sense, tbh. ButSolid puzzle game, with a couple niggles. 1. The last third of the game is notably easier than the middle third, which contains the hardest puzzles. 2. The story is intriguing and drives the game forwards, but very anti-climactic. It neither resolves the questions raised during the game, nor does it bring much closure. The ending I saw was bleak and didn't make too much sense, tbh. But these are minor points, really. As a puzzle game, it's a solid 7 out of 10. Why Metacritic thinks a 7/10 is a "mixed" rating I don't know. To me, 7 out of 10 is a positive review! Expand
  4. Apr 5, 2016
    A clever and innovative puzzle game. The atmosphere is immersive and intriguing; The presentation and sound is simple but effective. It is an elegant experience that is both challenging, fund, and rewarding. If you have even a remote interest in puzzle games, you should definitely give it a go.
  5. Jul 6, 2016
    I managed to solve most of the puzzles on my own. Then I forgot about the game for a year. The goal when I played it today was complete it so I used YouTube for the last puzzles. And the puzzles in my opinion are the least interesting part of the game. The best part is when you've finished it and read discussions on its meaning and ending. The whole story is actually quite thoughtI managed to solve most of the puzzles on my own. Then I forgot about the game for a year. The goal when I played it today was complete it so I used YouTube for the last puzzles. And the puzzles in my opinion are the least interesting part of the game. The best part is when you've finished it and read discussions on its meaning and ending. The whole story is actually quite thought provoking when you start to ask questions. But be warned; this game might go on for too long and the voice acting is pretty bad. Don't feel bad if you look up the solutions on YouTube. Your actually doing yourself a favor by being able to listen the pops of a fireplace and take in the clay made scenery. Not bad for a game filled with rocks. You'll know what I mean shortly. Expand
  6. Jul 7, 2016
    The Swapper is a nice sidescrolling puzzler with an eerie mood and some philosophical side notes that sort of build a storyline. Better executed than Talos Principle though which was tl;dr with all the reading material it throws at you.

The puzzles are challenging and I'd say a bit above average. One I took forever to get right. There's nothing exceptionally good about this game, and

There's nothing exceptionally good about this game, and nothing bad. The only thing I'd complain about is that there's no setting for sound levels.

You like puzzlers? Go for it - don't expect any other entertainment from it though, it's not Limbo.
  7. Oct 18, 2016
    Solid Puzzle Game wih good atmoshpehre (sound, light) which remembered me of the Alien movies.

Puzzles are not to hard which is totally fine. It is Ok that they repeat better this way than having a to short game.

On PC good playable with XBOX Controller (it even asks if you want a PS4 one at the start - but dont know if there is a difference)
  8. Nov 22, 2016
    A good and solid puzzly game. While being atmospheric visually and auditory it somewhat lacks diversity. Because of this, the sense of progression in the game is driven by increasing puzzle difficulty and the story; but while the puzzles do indeed become very hard at a good pace, the story is OKish and not enough to move the game along. As a result, i played Swapper for about 4 hours,A good and solid puzzly game. While being atmospheric visually and auditory it somewhat lacks diversity. Because of this, the sense of progression in the game is driven by increasing puzzle difficulty and the story; but while the puzzles do indeed become very hard at a good pace, the story is OKish and not enough to move the game along. As a result, i played Swapper for about 4 hours, and while joyful - that was enough for me.

RECOMMEND.
  9. Jan 8, 2014
    Wow! I was expecting a little more, or maybe all the high scores gave me the impression of something grander. I love indie games, platform and Metroidvania games. I was bored with this game. I had a hard time getting into it... everything about it is sleepy... and nothing urged me to want to play, it didn't capture my attention or imagination. Don't play this at night, because it's a greatWow! I was expecting a little more, or maybe all the high scores gave me the impression of something grander. I love indie games, platform and Metroidvania games. I was bored with this game. I had a hard time getting into it... everything about it is sleepy... and nothing urged me to want to play, it didn't capture my attention or imagination. Don't play this at night, because it's a great sleeping pill. Expand
  10. Feb 19, 2014
    The Swapper is a unique puzzle-platformer. The unique mechanic in the game is the ability to clone yourself and "swap" places with that clone. This creates an interesting dynamic that was fun to utilize. The game however falls in other key aspects. The difficulty curve is strange. It starts off relatively easy for about half the game, then it suddenly jumps and you'll get stuck on puzzlesThe Swapper is a unique puzzle-platformer. The unique mechanic in the game is the ability to clone yourself and "swap" places with that clone. This creates an interesting dynamic that was fun to utilize. The game however falls in other key aspects. The difficulty curve is strange. It starts off relatively easy for about half the game, then it suddenly jumps and you'll get stuck on puzzles for a long time, then at the very end the puzzles are all of a sudden easy again. The story is also confusing and relatively uninteresting. The graphics are special, but I certainly wouldn't call them fantastic. The game is also relatively short; I finished it in less than 4 hours. I had high hopes for this game, unfortunately it hasn't lived up to the hype. Expand
  11. Aug 11, 2014
    The idea is brilliant, but not enough. If we can add some spices to the game and change that world into something more interesting then it could have been much better.
  12. Jan 8, 2015
    Yes, it is certainly good. But I do not understand the hype. It is a very good indie game but he deserves far from the enthusiasm as had one Limbo.
    -------- -------------- ------------------ ------------------ ----------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------
  13. Jun 3, 2013
    I don't understand why this game has such a ridiculously high review. It's a mildly entertaining puzzle game, different than, but not as fun as Portal in my opinion. Not worth ten dollars.

A mediocre score for a mediocre game.
  14. Jul 6, 2016
    After one hour, this seems like a run-of-the-mill platformer with an unique puzzle element that is interesting at first and repetitive very soon. Slap a semi-interesting and semi-crypic story element on and here's another indie-platformer that is buried in praise I don't seem to understand. The thing is, this review could be used for a large number of today's indie platformers. One goodAfter one hour, this seems like a run-of-the-mill platformer with an unique puzzle element that is interesting at first and repetitive very soon. Slap a semi-interesting and semi-crypic story element on and here's another indie-platformer that is buried in praise I don't seem to understand. The thing is, this review could be used for a large number of today's indie platformers. One good idea and nice graphics don't automatically equal a good game for me.

To be quite fair, it's not a bad game. It is 'just another game'. Which is exactly what's wrong with it in my eyes.

1. Aug 4, 2014
    The game is not about death or life but about the soul leaving the body and heading someplace new. It’s about the brief moment it spends flying.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Oct 24, 2013
    A puzzle platformer that won't frustrate nor bore you. The puzzles complete a solid story, which is unique even for an indie game. [Issue#234]
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    The Swapper is a first-rate puzzle platformer that boasts a gorgeous atmosphere as well. The story doesn't quite live up to its potential, though, but it's not a major issue. [Aug 2013]