8.7

1. May 31, 2013
    Kinda overrated. The Walking Dead has a great story and voice acting to go with it, there is no doubt about that. Just about everything else in the game is bad. The animations and lip syncing are both horrendous. Downright laughable. The graphics are supposed to represent a comic, but i've seen comics that look better than this game. Some of the textures, especially trees and bushes andKinda overrated. The Walking Dead has a great story and voice acting to go with it, there is no doubt about that. Just about everything else in the game is bad. The animations and lip syncing are both horrendous. Downright laughable. The graphics are supposed to represent a comic, but i've seen comics that look better than this game. Some of the textures, especially trees and bushes and the ground, are terrible. And the gameplay, which is the most important part of any game, is boring and sometimes unintuitive. You rarely get something to do, most of the game is watching a cutscene and listening to dialogue. But, when you do get something to do, it's just simply clicking here one to kick a zombie, or some other unimportant thing. It's not fun at all, honestly, i'd rather have just watched the game play before me then having to keep my hand on my mouse and wait an see if there is some QTE that pops up. The game also states that the decisions you make affect the game. This is true to a degree, but don't expect to be able to save one person all the way through to the end, or have your decisions greatly affect the ending. There is one ending to the game no matter what you do. The points in the game where you're supposed to pick one thing or another don't have any bearing on what happens in the end, either. So there's really no "choice" at all. I was super disappointed in this game, honestly. If you want a movie with a good, emotional story and don't care for gameplay, then buy it. But if you really want an experience you can interact with, you'd best look elsewhere. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2014
    Game: The Walking Dead
    Genre: Point and Click Adventure
    Developer: Telltale Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 89/100 Value Score: 8.9/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Great storyline that ties well with The Walking Dead Universe
    Game: The Walking Dead

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Great storyline that ties well with The Walking Dead Universe
    +Different Interactions that affect the storyline as a whole increases replayability
    +Fitting music for the mood and tone of the storyline and the universe
    +Great visual art style and design that ties closely to the comic book series
    +Ability to choose to go back to certain scenes to replay again
    +400 days DLC content consists of at least 1 hour additional of gameplay
    +Fantastic voice acting

Cons
    -A few bugs such as the loading bug may occur which is fixable with changing of the exe settings
    -By choosing to go back to certain scenes to replay again you also delete any scenes that occur afterwards due to the changes of decisions that may occur
    -Very annoying mini game in the DLC
  3. Jan 8, 2013
    Having finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that someHaving finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that some of the biggest choices you would have to make turned out not to even matter a bit. However the game does quite a few things well and the best thing I can relate it too is Heavy Rain. The story the game tells is a wonderful one and, even for people who aren't into the Walking Dead franchise that much like I was, they will get so much out of this game. I really felt for the characters and some of the decisions they had to make. Losing any of the characters, even some of the smaller ones, affected me greatly. I haven't felt this emotional about a game in a long time and that speaks volumes to me. This game has made me want to get into the entire franchise now and, even with that tiny issue I said before, this is easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. However, don't expect to do much going into it because this game is basically here to tell a story and that's it. If you can get over that, then you'll love this game to death. I wouldn't call it my GotY, but it's easily in the top 5 this year and it's something I'll be really keeping an eye on when season 2 rolls around. Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2016
    First's thing first - this is a minimally interactive visual novel rather than a game in its classical sense. Seat back, relax, take the gamepad in one hand and a cup of tea into the other, click a button once in a while and enjoy a good story.

While some of the criticism mentions that the choices you make are nothing more than a superficial gimmick and have no effect on the overall story, i must again point out that this is not an open-world game like Fall Out. This is a very well written gruesome and powerful story where you as the protagonist drive the narrative through dialogue choices. The dialogue and action choices do have some minor immediate effects on the story, but do not effect the overall arch of the main narrative.

Nonetheless, voice acting is exemplary, the story grabbing, characters are believable, can be related to, and really grow on you pretty fast. I played through all 5 Episodes without a break, and suggest anyone looking into getting The Walking Dead do the same - this episode/season business is really a lame vogue.

Recommend.
  5. Dec 13, 2012
    Many of your actions have real impact on the world, affecting things ranging from your relationships with others to life & death decisions. Dialog options let you act in a situation how you would want to; I have run into very few Bioware-style "wow that was awful I didn't mean to say that" situations. The music, sound, and environments come together to create a fantastic atmosphere of bothMany of your actions have real impact on the world, affecting things ranging from your relationships with others to life & death decisions. Dialog options let you act in a situation how you would want to; I have run into very few Bioware-style "wow that was awful I didn't mean to say that" situations. The music, sound, and environments come together to create a fantastic atmosphere of both serenity & dread. The game's writing is fantastic and could stand on it's own without the zombies. This is not another stupid zombie craze cash in. The characters are well fleshed out and you get attached to them. The combat and quick-time events are taut and meaningfully placed. This game is (generally) better than the show and well worth the asking price. Expand
  6. AWG
    Jul 14, 2013
    The Walking Dead by Telltale is an incredible game experience (notice, "game experience", not "game") ruined by one of the worst Italian localizations I've ever seen in a finished product.
  7. Dec 29, 2013
    After a slow introduction and welcoming of characters ,Telltale games have created a Smash hit that will have you crying, cruising and slaughtering what everyone seems to love zombies! The walking dead had one of the most heart ranching story's and will go down in history as being one of the most immersive adventures to date. Lee the main protagonist must protect Clem the young girl whoAfter a slow introduction and welcoming of characters ,Telltale games have created a Smash hit that will have you crying, cruising and slaughtering what everyone seems to love zombies! The walking dead had one of the most heart ranching story's and will go down in history as being one of the most immersive adventures to date. Lee the main protagonist must protect Clem the young girl who you grow to care for a surprisingly love. The walking dead is one of the best games around, apart from the casual freezes it will be money spent well. Expand
  8. Dec 17, 2012
    A fantastic game series which pulls you through with a great story and interactive game play. Unfortunately a fair few bugs and a disappointing ending hold it back from being a 10.
  9. Oct 5, 2015
    Not a single game I've played has made me think about my life, and I sure as hell have never cried as much playing a game as TWD has. This game has one of the most beautiful, yet depressing stories ever. As well as that, the player's choice mechanic offers so much opportunity. This game is amazing, and everyone MUST play this.
  10. Sep 26, 2013
    The Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws thatThe Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws that doesn't make this game perfect, even if small, but still flaws. First of, the game plays like a point and click adventure (for the most part) and a lot of times on quick time events or similar. In other words, your actions are limited a lot, which for a GAME is a big flaw, especially since this happens quite a lot. Second, the game has basically no challenge at all, and by challenge I mean no puzzles or anything tricky to do, and that's a big waste of potential for this GAME. Third, and this is going to take longer, is the very low longevity of the GAME...and here's why. The game has 5 episodes (plus a dlc episode of barely an hour, as of now) and each episode can be completed in about 2 hours or 3, resulting in about 10 hours or 15 hours depending on how fast you rush; he game explicitically tells you that the game changes depending on your choices and, in some cases, it actually does and results in a similar yet different path, resulting in a even bigger involvement of the game. The game strongest part is the immersion and that can't be denied (unless you couldn't care less about stories and such. Understandable), however it is a GAME, and as a GAME it has almost no longevity at all. Once you finish it, you're done with it. The choices? They don't change nothing big or relevant in the end, only some scenes and dialogues. The game remains exactly the same.. and this is a wasted potential. The closest example of this game is Heavy Rain, and while in that game the action was close to zero, had ALSO no puzzles and such, that game HAD more longevity and replayability due to the ENORMOUS amount of scenes, endings, dialogues happening just by changing ONE choice in a part of the game, without mentioning each character had their own ending depending on the player (around 4 or 6 for each, but I can't remember). In here, it won't change nothing, despite the game tells you otherwise, and while I loved it the game has nothing else to offer you. Sure, this game is great, but flaws are flaws and so they can't be avoided, and if you hate a game without action you will DESPISE it. If you do like games like this and story driven games, you will feel at home, but still the fact that this game has no challenge or any kind of obstacle in your way, will just make you feel watching a movie more than playing a game. That was your intention? Good, you'll enjoy it then, as I did because it is still a great game... but if we could really have had those choices the game really promised us, this could have been so much better, if not a masterpiece. Expand
  11. Jan 13, 2017
    Hated it played the first episode it was awful. Way worst then the show most overrated game ever .
  12. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of zombie games but the story and the impact you can have on the story is that good it kept enticing me to come back for more. I can't wait to see what more is in store for the second season of The Walking Dead.
  13. Dec 25, 2015
    The Walking Dead is one hell of an example for the talent of Telltale Games at telling an emotional story that can steal people's heart easily without expensive features.
  14. May 9, 2013
    this game has one of the greatest stories you will encounter in games and the ending will surely make you cry although it lacks some freedom but the choices you make affect the story telling which gives you a high replayability simply one of the best games of 2012
  15. Nov 28, 2015
    Telltale's first installment for Robert Kirkman's famous comic perfectly pulled it off and flawlessly set the foundation for TTG's own The Walking Dead Universe. A game worthy of being one of 2012's Game of The Year, it just leaves you collecting different emotions, mostly negative emotions because you can really feel the pressure of the story on your character, Lee Everett.
  16. Mar 4, 2013
    While this is a game, its not a typical game. Its not a Mass Effect but the story is as intricate. It is a game in the fact that yes you have actions to perform and there are quicktime events that I usually hate but those work well here for immersion more than difficulty. This is a game of exploration of the human psyche. To play through it once and not a second or even a third timeWhile this is a game, its not a typical game. Its not a Mass Effect but the story is as intricate. It is a game in the fact that yes you have actions to perform and there are quicktime events that I usually hate but those work well here for immersion more than difficulty. This is a game of exploration of the human psyche. To play through it once and not a second or even a third time and make different decisions is a huge mistake. It is an interactive movie that becomes a game in that you objectives change, your perspectives change and the whole game changes according to how you act. While Mass Effect did this wonderfully, they could not have done it for $25, $12 when on sale on steam (which is how I picked it up) I ran into a few graphical glitches but that is my only complaint. As an adventure game its an awesome accomplishment. If you were expecting a Mass Effect zombie mod its the wrong game for you. Also many people miss the entire point of the TV series and this game. Its not Left 4 Dead and all about zombie slaying, its about people and about humanity and what happens when all the structure one day disappears? Its about integrity, morality and what defines right and wrong. What do you do when no one is watching? That is what this game is about. Expand
  17. Aug 8, 2015
    While the game has bugs that can create unintentional laughs, The Telltale Games’ adaptation of the popular The Walking Dead franchise is an excellently executed video game with a serious, dark, well-written story as well as the emotional father-daughter like bond between the main characters Lee and Clementine that makes the players emotionally invested.

Rating: 9.5/10 Pros: +The

Rating: 9.5/10

Pros:
    +The writing of the game is well-written and the plot points are excellently planned.
    +The father-daughter like bond between the main characters Lee and Clementine is not only something that makes the players emotionally invested, it’s also breaks the stereotype of video games as a childish hobby.
    +Telltale’s signature continuity where the players’ choices can affect the whole plot of the game is mind-blowing.

Cons:
    -Lots of bugs in the game where it can sometimes create unintentional laughs during very high stakes scenes.
  18. May 30, 2013
    "This is not a game." You know what? I might not consider a game either. I'd consider it- an interactive story. But jeezy creezy what a story. If you wanna be hit in the feels you gotta experience this game. Right. In. The. Feels. Numerous times! My emotions were jerked around so much I thought this game was my x-girlfriend. If you love story and characters and wanna experience what"This is not a game." You know what? I might not consider a game either. I'd consider it- an interactive story. But jeezy creezy what a story. If you wanna be hit in the feels you gotta experience this game. Right. In. The. Feels. Numerous times! My emotions were jerked around so much I thought this game was my x-girlfriend. If you love story and characters and wanna experience what feelings are you gotta play this. Expand
  19. Oct 31, 2016
    Fantastic adventure game - interactive story book. It has neat comic book inpsired visuals that wont blow you away but do their job flawlessly. Its one of the most heart breaking, warming and emotional journeys ive taken in gaming. All the characters are exceptionaly well written and you care for nearly all of them, even the ones you might not like at first glance. All the choices you makeFantastic adventure game - interactive story book. It has neat comic book inpsired visuals that wont blow you away but do their job flawlessly. Its one of the most heart breaking, warming and emotional journeys ive taken in gaming. All the characters are exceptionaly well written and you care for nearly all of them, even the ones you might not like at first glance. All the choices you make feel significant and most importantly impact the story and its outcome so as the characters who'll judge you by your choices. Game plays without any issues on PC and save system works wihtout a problem carrying your progess episode to episode.

If you loved old school adventure games, youll love this aswell. Its a masterpiece in my books pure & simple.
  20. May 16, 2013
    One of the best stories I've ever played, but aside that and it's hardly a game, mostly bunch of qte's! The most amazing thing of this project the way you communicating with other characters, it's like the movie and you a big par of it! Great game for sure, I want more like this!
  21. Jun 6, 2016
    I won't be original by saying this game puts story telling once again a level higher and harder for everyone that will try to make story based game in the future. You play a role but without side quests or exploring. Simple mechanic, click and listen, retro style of the background. The hardest thing is to keep the player focused and intrigued, Telltale games managed to pull this off inI won't be original by saying this game puts story telling once again a level higher and harder for everyone that will try to make story based game in the future. You play a role but without side quests or exploring. Simple mechanic, click and listen, retro style of the background. The hardest thing is to keep the player focused and intrigued, Telltale games managed to pull this off in this one. For every player a must play. Expand
  22. Sep 2, 2013
    This game is just like an extended episode of the tv series. I played all 5 episodes in about a week (about 13 hours total) and I found the story to be mediocre. It's true that a few parts pulled the emotional heartstrings, but this moments took hours to come across. The rest of the gameplay I found lacking. Just because characters are willing to talk about everything going on doesn'tThis game is just like an extended episode of the tv series. I played all 5 episodes in about a week (about 13 hours total) and I found the story to be mediocre. It's true that a few parts pulled the emotional heartstrings, but this moments took hours to come across. The rest of the gameplay I found lacking. Just because characters are willing to talk about everything going on doesn't mean it's worth your time to talk to them. All in all, I did best buy burning through as quick as possible. As a side note, being able to determine who lives and who dies in this game is a gimmick. The outcomes for most of the characters is set. Expand
  23. Mar 25, 2013
    In "The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series", you take on the role of Lee Everett, a convicted murderer on his way to jail when the infection introduces itself to him. When he meets the little girl, Clementine, they go on an emotional adventure, filled with personal decisions and heartwarming moments. Even though the characters may move a bit stiff overall, this doesn't affect the gameIn "The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series", you take on the role of Lee Everett, a convicted murderer on his way to jail when the infection introduces itself to him. When he meets the little girl, Clementine, they go on an emotional adventure, filled with personal decisions and heartwarming moments. Even though the characters may move a bit stiff overall, this doesn't affect the game what so ever. The story is amazing, the visuals art artfully stunning and the gameplay is so simple yet effective that you can make you feel as if every move counts. Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    I had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. TheyI had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. They don't break the tension or atmosphere that the game successfully builds up but they are neither challenging or especially rewarding. The cellshaded graphics looks alright for the most part. Some parts looks pure ugly though. The game cutscenes are unskippable which would be tolerable for the first play-through if the checkpoint system didn't have a habit of placing you before those unskippable cutscenes. I cannot understand how anyone could believe that to be a good idea. The walking dead is not a traditional game and have a lot more in common with visual novels which is something that might turn a lot of people off. The game is basically a visual novel with some adventure-game parts, a lot of quicktime-events, good dialogue-system, interesting characters and an engrossing story. And i would definitely recommend this game if that sounds interesting to you. Expand
  25. Mar 18, 2014
    Update: As of 3/6/2014 I tried to replay the game in order to refresh myself on the story so I could play the next one just released. Same exact install as my first playthrough, only this time with the 400days DLC. My game constantly hangs up on a black screen when I try to start the second season, and a lot of people are having this same issue on different seasons. Its pretty annoying andUpdate: As of 3/6/2014 I tried to replay the game in order to refresh myself on the story so I could play the next one just released. Same exact install as my first playthrough, only this time with the 400days DLC. My game constantly hangs up on a black screen when I try to start the second season, and a lot of people are having this same issue on different seasons. Its pretty annoying and after a week or so trying to get it dealt with, I have no faith Telltale has any intention to fix it when they won't even acknowledge it.

Original Review: This game is definitely all about the story. I would not mind if they took out most of the gameplay elements that did not involve exploring or communicating completely. For 25 bucks you get a 15 hour interactive movie that overall is quite impressive. The game had a few minor issues with animation, which in a game like this is annoying, but other than that was rather artistic and beautiful to watch. Overall, the gameplay portions of this game are terrible, they need to improve them or drop most of them completely, however the story is where the value is.
  26. Jun 2, 2013
    Possibly the most emotion-altering game I've ever played. At first glance, I thought this was gonna be another half-baked zombie game that's beaten a dead and resurrected horse. I'm glad I was wrong there. The events of the game stay original, and you're probably not gonna easily predict things. The amount of unexpected twists in the game are remarkable, and you'll find yourselfPossibly the most emotion-altering game I've ever played. At first glance, I thought this was gonna be another half-baked zombie game that's beaten a dead and resurrected horse. I'm glad I was wrong there. The events of the game stay original, and you're probably not gonna easily predict things. The amount of unexpected twists in the game are remarkable, and you'll find yourself desperately waiting for what'll happen next. The writing is beyond excellent. I can't wait for the second season. Expand
  27. Nov 20, 2013
    Telltale has always been very hit and miss; however ‘The Walking Dead’ has definitely been the companies best release yet! The biggest positive of this title is the decision making element involved and how it has an effect on how you play! Ultimately, the outcomes will be very similar, but giving you the option to choose what happens at certain points, and deciding the best way to act in aTelltale has always been very hit and miss; however ‘The Walking Dead’ has definitely been the companies best release yet! The biggest positive of this title is the decision making element involved and how it has an effect on how you play! Ultimately, the outcomes will be very similar, but giving you the option to choose what happens at certain points, and deciding the best way to act in a situation, really makes the game much more interactive. This is what you should expect from a story telling game; however TellTale has now set a new standard and will need to go the extra mile to ensure they keep this quality. Overall, a very engaging game! Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2016
    My first experience with a point and click adventure game and I enjoyed it. The game has nothing to do with the show although there are a few nods to it (the Asian guy called Glenn for example). It's more of a TV show that you control rather than a game and honestly that wasn't a problem, I went in knowing what to expect and I enjoyed it more because of that. The story was interesting andMy first experience with a point and click adventure game and I enjoyed it. The game has nothing to do with the show although there are a few nods to it (the Asian guy called Glenn for example). It's more of a TV show that you control rather than a game and honestly that wasn't a problem, I went in knowing what to expect and I enjoyed it more because of that. The story was interesting and you really started to care about the characters by the end, there was moments where I was genuinely sad after someone died. I have to say it was a nice change of pace just chilling in bed playing a casual game, and I'm very much looking forward to starting season two ASAP.

I have to say the game ended on a high note, the final episode was fantastic and I was left with "feels" by the end of it, which is always a sign of a well told story. The game was solid throughout though with some very memorial bits that would have been great in the actual TV show (the farm, enough said). The follow up DLC 400 days wasn't anything special but it sets up season two nicely so was worth the £1.50 or whatever it cost, even if it was very short. It was basically 5 mini stories that introduced you to the cast of season two, and there are definitely a couple of characters I'm interested in although my first impression is the season one cast was stronger but it's really too early to say.

The game did have one major issue and that was the engine, apparently Telltale are known for their poor technical ability and I can see why. The game suffered heavily from this weird character stutter/shimmer which was extremely off-putting, it definitely hurt the game overall. I think with how successful all their games have been it's maybe time for them to work on a new engine with current gen in mind. Saying that the technical issues didn't come close to ruining the game, even for me and I'm very anal about this sort of thing. I may have scored it higher though had the game been as technically sound as it was in every other department.

Overall if you want a change of pace and to play something a little more laid back I would highly recommend this game while it's on sale, at £4.75 it's an absolute steal.
  29. Jun 1, 2015
    As far as the story goes for 'The Walking Dead' this is one of the best in gaming. You feel wrapped up in the world of the walkers, and you feel every emotional hit, as you try doing what's best for yourself, and Clementine, the little girl you are protecting. It is bitter sweet, but you carry on, because you want to see this get to an end. When you play this video game you will be theAs far as the story goes for 'The Walking Dead' this is one of the best in gaming. You feel wrapped up in the world of the walkers, and you feel every emotional hit, as you try doing what's best for yourself, and Clementine, the little girl you are protecting. It is bitter sweet, but you carry on, because you want to see this get to an end. When you play this video game you will be the edge of your seat. Nothing about this is easy, and that's what it makes it so good. Definitely worth a try. Expand
  30. Jan 2, 2013
    There is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as definedThere is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as defined by being physically involved in pressing buttons as action plays out on the screen, this would get a 3 or 4 out of 10. But it's not aiming for this market - this is an emotional journey. As much as I yearned for better game-play and deeper interactivity with the environment and more action, I also respected the fact that I can always boot up Left for Dead anytime I want. This is something different - and for that reason alone, it's worth your time. Expand

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]