8.6

1. Jul 11, 2013
    The border between film and video game becomes blurry, and the result is a unique interactive experience. This is a game about the choices that define who you are, and how the story adapts to those choices.
  2. BMF
    Dec 11, 2012
    The Walking Dead is the best story based game I have played in a long time. I got very attached to my character and those around him and felt compelled to help everyone even though thats a imposable task. The dialoge options are vast and I found myself lost in telltales world. I can not wait untill episode one season 2 is released!
  3. Feb 9, 2013
    Let's cut to the chase....

The Walking Dead (2012 video game)is not as good as The Walking Dead (TV series). The TV show is an overwhelming hit and is very highly thought of. It has a combination of excellent writing and excellent acting that combine wondefully with the Robert Kirkman themes developed in the comic book series. Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of
    Let's cut to the chase....

Those same Robert Kirkman themes are an integral part of The Walking Dead (2012 video game).
    The game provides nice examples of good acting combined with interesting characters:
    Lilly, voiced by Nicki Rapp
    Carley, voiced by Nicole Vigil, and
    Molly, voiced by Erin Ashe.

Unfortunately, the most important character, Lee Everett is voiced by Dave Fennoy who provides a barely average performance.
    Even more disappointing is the key character Clementine who is voiced by Nicki Rapp who provides a very sub-par performance.
    I think perhaps it is almost impossible for a 40ish year old women to provide an acceptable rendition of an 8 year old girl
    I think producers use adults to provide for child roles because they are lazy. Child actors require a lot of effort to manage.
    Additionally the Clementine charater is drawn oddly and very unrealistically to the point of being somewhat distracting.

I enjoyed playing the game. I wish Robert Kirkman would take a little more interest in protecting how his work is utilized.
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    Good story pinned to a point-and-click adventure game. Kind of funky but it works overall. Very intense experience. I almost cried, limited only by the fact that I am dead inside. Give to good friends or enemies you want to make cry. Imminent tears.
  5. Jan 6, 2013
    This is an amazing experience. It's like being the hero of a movie and your decisions will have an effect on how the story develops. The characters are mesmerizing and it is really hard to not care about them.
    My only complaint would be that the game is a little short but there will be more seasons coming out.
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I
    Hard to find games these days that are so engaging, once I started playing I couldn't put it down... worth every penny!
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    TWD is a awesome game! Telltale make me care with characters, the choice system is fantastic by delivery a sense of urgency with its time count bar, that by all means make you have to do hard choices in a little time, this make the tension grows as it would in a real life emergency context.

The plot is rich and the characters too, both becoming meaningful by the length of the game to the point that your choices consequences really make you regret some of your actions in a way that other games can't make you feel, I bet that the reviewers that gave notes like ZERO would prefer to play Call of Duty or other brainless game.
  7. Jun 2, 2013
    So Walking Dead isn't a game as such, it's more like an interactive movie. There's no gameplay.. it's a matter of choosing dialogue and clicking on objects to interact with them. Need to open a door? Click the door. That's as complex as it gets. My problem with the game isn't that it's light on gameplay, because that's intended and has been executed fairly well. My problem is that it's aSo Walking Dead isn't a game as such, it's more like an interactive movie. There's no gameplay.. it's a matter of choosing dialogue and clicking on objects to interact with them. Need to open a door? Click the door. That's as complex as it gets. My problem with the game isn't that it's light on gameplay, because that's intended and has been executed fairly well. My problem is that it's a story and dialogue-driven experience, and the story is boring. If you've ever read a half decent book, you'll be bored to tears with this material. For the hell of it, imagine you aren't playing a game and instead you're watching an animated movie; you'll soon realise it would be the blandest, most predictable, cliched piece of crap ever created. So if it's light on gameplay, and the story is terrible, what's the point? What's the point indeed. Anyway, you may as well get it since it's $5 on humble bundle and decide for yourself. Expand
  8. Jan 13, 2014
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

This game is truly a masterpiece. The Walking Dead has fantastic gameplay that relies on the player choices moreso than anything else and the game benefits from this as there are many heart-pounding sections that require quick thinking or else the Zombies kill one of your extremeley likeable comrades! These characters are
    Captures the essence of The Walking Dead Comic Book perfectly!

These characters are even better written than they are in the TV Show and engage the player into their unique back stories that are inextricably linked to the present events. Everything feels right; not a single objective in the game seems pointless. Character development here is one of the best in this medium as each character goes through their own grim, adult and realistic arcs that are very intriguing - It sucks you in right from the get-go.

The graphics are perfect! Brings the comic books to life better than anything else (I really wish the TV Series followed up on this style as it actually resembles the source material.)

Overall, a true modern masterpiece and a perfect representation of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. The Zombie genre has never been better!
  9. Jul 28, 2013
    an illusion. that is all this even is. every step of the way the so called "craft able story" it has gone against every thing i have wanted to do. vague dialoge choices never help, believing you will give one response, but Lee actually makes one completely different, un-skippable cut scenes also hinder the experience. under there there may be a good story, and well crafted characters, butan illusion. that is all this even is. every step of the way the so called "craft able story" it has gone against every thing i have wanted to do. vague dialoge choices never help, believing you will give one response, but Lee actually makes one completely different, un-skippable cut scenes also hinder the experience. under there there may be a good story, and well crafted characters, but the sheer imability to craft the story the way i want it to go is frustrating. had i gone into it knowing how linear and uncontrollable it is, i would never have even bothered. i have COD for linear story. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2013
    I was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episodeI was totally floored by this game. Even after hearing all the hype, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm a huge fan of story-based adventure games, and have played many of Telltale's other series. They have always been good at humor and cartoony worlds, but I questioned whether they could pull off a serious or dark game. My concerns were left shattered on the floor early on in episode one, and stayed there through the rest of the game, all the way to the shuddering end. This game grabs you and never lets go. As others have mentioned, I experienced many complex emotions throughout the game which I rarely feel when playing games. It was like the best thriller films, except I was involved in the choices so it felt even more personal. The writing and characters are so well done that you forget you are playing a game, and you never know what's around the bend. I feel like this game is a refreshing change, and only the beginning of what is possible in interactive storytelling if it is done right. I hope its popularity will push developers more into this front. Expand
  11. May 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well done Telltale.
    Quite apart from everything else, it simply is refreshing to play a game as different in mechanics and gameplay as TWD. So many modern games go over-board with Open Worlds to explore - it's great to see that great games can be created without this.

It took me only about 45 minutes into episode 1 to be hooked, to care about the characters and want to hear their stories. The game is unique because despite the proliferation of zombie games, few give character and story the central role.

I adored the relationship between Lee and Clementine - it was uniquely touching, and I thought, very clever. I liked the underlying idea that amidst all the chaos and the people doing, frankly, bad things - youth and innocence is worth preserving.

I liked many of the other characters and indeed was sad that not all could be saved.

The story had me wondering where we were going next , and with all the possibilities ahead of you TellTale successfully made the world feel endless with opportunity - despite the reality of the constricted geographical area the game covered.

The game play? Well, I have to be honest, it's not remotely challenging and even a beginner with the series could complete it without dying. Still, the system is tactile and satisfying enough, and is sufficient to support the games strong narrative.

I liked how merciless the game was - there are some shocking moments you won't see coming, and people you cannot protect. Some users may feel outraged by this but I for one believe that we have to play by the rules given to us by the developer; after all, we chose to buy the game. I like the fact that you are sometimes powerless.

The game is also sometimes chaotic; In one scene you have to free a poor soul from a trap before the zombies come upon you; I myself did not act quick enough, I hacked three times into the mans leg, destroying it but not quite separating it from the tap. I failed to free him and left, for the zombies to devour, a man whose leg had been hacked to pieces. I messed up, through my own felt. I like that you are able to do this - nothing is clean or easy.

So what complaints do I have? Few.
    But I felt that TellTale created a beautiful thing which they didn't get full mileage from. From start to finish series 1 is quite short. I wanted to see the relationships continue to grow and develop, but it all abruptly ended. in such way that, without giving too much away, you may not find yourself hurrying to play series 2. Rarely, if ever, have I enjoyed a game so hugely, whilst simultaneously not feeling too bothered about playing the second. This is in my view a function of the way TellTale finished the first series. In a story they destroyed what was becoming a canonical relationship and tale, and removed the possibility of building upon it.

What this complaint really comes down to is freedom; many games now give you the illusion of freedom but, ultimately, the ends are the same. You cannot change the ending of the game (and believe me you will find yourself wishing you could) Effectively the story is only ever about one character - clementine - no decisions you make can really affect her, in the sense of getting her kicked. She is the only contstant, and I feel the extent to which that is true is to the detriment of the other characters. Clementine leaves you powerless, and come the end of the game, leaves you feeling like what you did never mattered at all.

Still, it was good while it lasted!
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    10 is way too low for this game. Brilliant writing that deviates from the story line of the TV series but keeps the spirit fully intact. Brilliant game that keeps you involved in the story and links you to each character, which were each well developed. Loved it. It seems like it can be replayed multiple times. Also love the fact that you are shown what others did in the choices.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    The graphics, storytelling, scriptwriting, voice acting and characters in this game are amazing!

You can relate to the characters and their personalities do grow throughout the story. The moral choices you have to make really influence your further interactions with you fellow survivors and to some degree how the story evolves. Every action has a reaction and some moral choices are key to how the story goes on. Every scene, every gesture on the characters face, every interaction between Lee (your character) and the other survivors is meaningful and properly written. True storytelling in games redefined.
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    Know what you're getting: this is not really a game at all, it's a slightly interactive animated horror-comic. You don't really have any options or any choice in what happens, the controls are VERY poor, and the "game" is very short, but there is no denying that it has its scary moments.

Personally I'd suggest catching the Walking Dead TV series instead, but if you're in the mood for a horror-comic, then by all means try this out.

But don't expect a survival-horror game. There is little to no game here.
  15. Koo
    Jan 5, 2013
    Having played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours freeHaving played all 5 games in the series, I am confident in awarding it my Game of the Year 2012. With its unique visual style and compelling storyline, The Walking Dead pulls you in and does not let go. Curious how your decisions compare with those of players around the world? The game lets you know at the end of every episode how your decisions measure up. Don't have 20 hours free time every week? No problem. Each episode is 2-3 hours long. Stop reading this review and TRY THIS GAME already!! Expand
  16. May 23, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Unforgettable..... have never felt this emotionally attached to a game and it's characters/story-line. defiantly a must play.
  17. Dec 29, 2012
    Outdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of theOutdated graphics that should stay on a mobile platform, like the iPhone/iPad version of the game (which is pretty much the same). Storyline is OK, good only to pass time trying to figure out what happens next out of curiosity. This game is created and targeted towards an audience that pretty much plays no video games. Dumbed down actions and key presses gets old. If you are a fan of the TV series, there goes why the high rating, otherwise from a comparative stand point of PC/Console games in 2012, there is simply not much to praise about. Expand
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    A game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end upA game that teaches you how to forget what sentimentality is. When people die, they die. It's a gripping experience that tugs at your heartstrings and does a perfect job at creating emotionally investing situations, all while telling a great story of hardship and survival. The acting is very good, and you'll constantly find yourself caring about the characters or in some cases, just end up hating them. Despite a few annoying technical faults, the story will captivate you like few stories in video games, and everyone who appreciates that should play this game. Expand
  19. Feb 24, 2013
    Far better than i expected. Interessting Story and Charachters. Its more like an interactive Series of the WD Universe. All who love Zombies and the End of the World will be satisfied.
  20. Dec 22, 2012
    More of an interactive narrative, not very "fun" but extremely moving, fascinating, and well worth the price. Episode 2 was the worst but after that they got progressively better and extremely good.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    The Walking Dead The Game é um jogo no estilo Point and Click, desenvolvido e produzido pela Telltale Games, lançado em 5 episódios ao longo de 2012.

The Walking Dead foi lançado originalmente nas histórias em quadrinhos pela editora Image Comics em 2003, ganhando incontáveis prêmios nos anos seguintes, em 2010 a série foi levada para a TV e o sucesso foi tão grande que um game não tardaria a surgir.

E foi a Telltale quem assumiu a empreitada de levar a saga de zumbis aos games, surpreendendo a todos por se tratar de um Adventure, gênero pouco popular entre o grande público, e principalmente por não focar a sua história nos personagens do material original.

O grande diferencial de The Walking Dead é focar em seus personagens, em como eles reagem ao mundo tomado pelo apocalipse zumbi, surpreendendo a cada novo capítulo com situações dramáticas e emocionantes. O game da Telltale consegue, de forma primorosa, proporcionar a mesma experiência das HQs e de forma bem mais impactante que a série de TV, por permitir que o jogador se torne parte integrante da história.

Na trama assumimos o personagem Lee Evertt, um professor universitário, que acaba de ser condenado e está sendo levado para a prisão, na caminho se envolve em um acidente de transito, ao acordar se vê rodeado de zumbis, sem entender o que está ocorrendo ele busca abrigo em uma casa e conhece a pequena Clementine, garota de 9 anos que se separou dos seus pais. Lee acaba assumindo a responsabilidade de manter Clementine em segurança enquanto busca encontrar os pais da menina.

A jogabilidade é no estilo point and click que consiste em apontar para os objetos no cenário e clicar para executar ações de interação, em um primeiro momento isso é algo monótono e exige certa paciência, já que a movimentação é bem lento, mas após um tempo você se acostuma com tal sistema. Os gráficos são simples, cartunescos, que lembra em muito a arte dos quadrinhos, dando um identidade única ao game.

O grande atrativo do game sem dúvida é sua história e a forma como ela é narrada. O game permite que interagir com os personagens coadjuvantes através de diálogos onde Lee pode ser sincero ou não, ou mesmo salvar ou não determinado personagem, tais escolhas tem impacto tanto no relacionamento entre o grupo, como na própria desenrolar da trama. Tal forma de narrar a história torna a mesma extremamente envolvente e marcante onde cada decisão, e suas consequências, tenham peso, fazendo que o jogador se sinta parte integrante da trama.

Lee assim como Rick Grimes, protagonista da série original, é o clássico herói, mesmo tendo cometido erros ele busca fazer o que é certo, buscando sempre o bem estar do grupo de sobreviventes. O personagem e tão carismático que o jogador sente o peso de cada decisão tomada pelo protagonista e tal imersão apenas aumenta à medida que Lee se apega a pequena Clementine. E acredite o game é incrivelmente dramático e envolvente, dificilmente você não irá se emocionar ou ao menos se chocar com as situações apresentadas no game, principalmente no final que com toda a certeza é um dos mais marcantes da história dos vídeo games.

The Walking Dead é um excelente game, com personagens marcantes e uma trama emocionante, de tal forma que qualquer defeito ou limitação sejam deixados de lado mediante a tal experiência, um game que ficará eternamente marcado na memória de qualquer gamer que goste de boas histórias.
  22. Jan 6, 2013
    This is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. TheThis is one game I wish I could delete from my steam account entirely. The fact that this won any plaudits is simply a reflection of the deplorable state of the gaming industry. The game is sickening at every level. Not only is the horror raw and gory and without redeeming value the writing is atrocious, the plotting bogus, and the characters as phoney as a twenty-three dollar bill. The only aspect of this game that deserve mention is the voice acting, which is top of the line. I could explain all my reasons for not liking this game in full detail but honestly I don't want to give it any more of my time. I bought it for less than ten dollars and I still want my money back. All I have to say to all of you people who rated this game highly is that developers are going to give you want you want and give it to you good and hard. You buy crap, you're going to get sold more crap. It's as simple as that. Expand
  23. Apr 29, 2013
    For a game that advertises itself as being all about choices it really doesn't have any. It's an OK adventure game with some interesting characters and if you are into TWD then you will probably enjoy it. But I bought it because I was intrigued by the "dynamic storytelling" and how my choices would shape the narrative. Well the story is completely railroaded and my choices are dismissedFor a game that advertises itself as being all about choices it really doesn't have any. It's an OK adventure game with some interesting characters and if you are into TWD then you will probably enjoy it. But I bought it because I was intrigued by the "dynamic storytelling" and how my choices would shape the narrative. Well the story is completely railroaded and my choices are dismissed almost immediately. Shame really.... Expand
  24. Sep 26, 2013
    The Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws thatThe Walking Dead game is probably one of the most immersive adventure games I've ever played...and even though has still flaws, it hits in what an adventure game should do: the story is great and involving, the characters are likeable AND hateable, the setting is intringuing and full of tension and, overall, it just hooks you right at the start. But it STILL has some huge flaws that doesn't make this game perfect, even if small, but still flaws. First of, the game plays like a point and click adventure (for the most part) and a lot of times on quick time events or similar. In other words, your actions are limited a lot, which for a GAME is a big flaw, especially since this happens quite a lot. Second, the game has basically no challenge at all, and by challenge I mean no puzzles or anything tricky to do, and that's a big waste of potential for this GAME. Third, and this is going to take longer, is the very low longevity of the GAME...and here's why. The game has 5 episodes (plus a dlc episode of barely an hour, as of now) and each episode can be completed in about 2 hours or 3, resulting in about 10 hours or 15 hours depending on how fast you rush; he game explicitically tells you that the game changes depending on your choices and, in some cases, it actually does and results in a similar yet different path, resulting in a even bigger involvement of the game. The game strongest part is the immersion and that can't be denied (unless you couldn't care less about stories and such. Understandable), however it is a GAME, and as a GAME it has almost no longevity at all. Once you finish it, you're done with it. The choices? They don't change nothing big or relevant in the end, only some scenes and dialogues. The game remains exactly the same.. and this is a wasted potential. The closest example of this game is Heavy Rain, and while in that game the action was close to zero, had ALSO no puzzles and such, that game HAD more longevity and replayability due to the ENORMOUS amount of scenes, endings, dialogues happening just by changing ONE choice in a part of the game, without mentioning each character had their own ending depending on the player (around 4 or 6 for each, but I can't remember). In here, it won't change nothing, despite the game tells you otherwise, and while I loved it the game has nothing else to offer you. Sure, this game is great, but flaws are flaws and so they can't be avoided, and if you hate a game without action you will DESPISE it. If you do like games like this and story driven games, you will feel at home, but still the fact that this game has no challenge or any kind of obstacle in your way, will just make you feel watching a movie more than playing a game. That was your intention? Good, you'll enjoy it then, as I did because it is still a great game... but if we could really have had those choices the game really promised us, this could have been so much better, if not a masterpiece. Expand
  25. Dec 2, 2013
    Good, but way overrated. The major problem with this game is that it strongly suggests that your choices affect the story, but if you replay it again with different choices it is obvious that your choices didn't matter at all. I think that linear stories are fine, but if you explicitly advertise the story as being player-driven and interactive (which they do at the start of every episode)Good, but way overrated. The major problem with this game is that it strongly suggests that your choices affect the story, but if you replay it again with different choices it is obvious that your choices didn't matter at all. I think that linear stories are fine, but if you explicitly advertise the story as being player-driven and interactive (which they do at the start of every episode) it better be that.

I appreciate that making the story actually branching and having different outcomes requires an insane amount of content and can be incredibly expensive, but I don't understand the need for what is essentially false advertising of a feature that is pretty much absent.

I had the same problem with Mass Effect series.

Other than that and some clumsy controls on the PC, I think the game is very enjoyable.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    Definitely the best adventure game i've played in years.
    The story is great, the graphics are nice. Everything about this game is so good.
    I really hope they make more chapters in a near future. This IP has potential and Telltale did a tremendous making this game.

I'm glad they won the GOTY 2012. Very well deserved.
  27. Dec 23, 2012
    I'm not even going to try to qualify this review with an in-depth analysis or critique, because frankly I don't think that would help you as a potential buyer of this entertainment.

This game is a masterpiece. They have taken a ridiculous scenario (zombie apocalypse) and turned it into something heart-wrenching, ethically charged and mature. The characters are real, the gameplay is fun, the choices matter and afford real replayability, but more than that, this game makes you stop and think.

Don't let the zombie apocalypse setting fool you. This game is not about a zombie apocalypse, it's about the human condition.
  28. Jul 7, 2013
    Easily one of the most beautiful, spellbinding stories ever crafted in gaming. The voice acting, writing and suspense are some of the best in gaming, but you've heard all this before. The main complaint with the Walking Dead is that is simply is more of an interactive movie than a game per se, however I would disagree. People mistakenly believe that the only 'gameplay' in this gameEasily one of the most beautiful, spellbinding stories ever crafted in gaming. The voice acting, writing and suspense are some of the best in gaming, but you've heard all this before. The main complaint with the Walking Dead is that is simply is more of an interactive movie than a game per se, however I would disagree. People mistakenly believe that the only 'gameplay' in this game involves picking conversation options and point and click scenes, however it is my opinion that the relationships you form and how much you care for the characters is also part of the gameplay. If I was watching a movie, I wouldn't care half as much for Clementine as I would in a game, because I feel like a father figure to her rather than watching someone else be a father figure. So, in essence, this game does have gameplay, just not in the traditional sense you are used to. Expand
  29. Aug 27, 2014
    This is among the finest examples of computer game story telling there is. It draws you in, builds you up and tears you down as you follow the fascinating tale of Lee and Clementine as they fight for survival in the early days following the apocalypse. Clementine works brilliantly as a type of moral mirror for Lee and has the player constantly question the merits and implications ofThis is among the finest examples of computer game story telling there is. It draws you in, builds you up and tears you down as you follow the fascinating tale of Lee and Clementine as they fight for survival in the early days following the apocalypse. Clementine works brilliantly as a type of moral mirror for Lee and has the player constantly question the merits and implications of choices made.

The story is thrilling, the conclusion epic and the characters are well made, well expanded and also well concluded. The atmosphere of the game is truly stunning, both visually and audibly, and the interaction with the game feels natural and intuitive.

This is a must play game if you're into story telling at all.
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    A brilliant game, thrilling captivating story, emotionally engaging characters. The game plays like an interactive movie, the gameplay is not very ambitious, the replay value may be next to nonexistant but the writing makes the experience truly worthwhile.
  31. Dec 23, 2012
    Damn. Yah got me. This may be the first time I've ever gotten emotional playing a game. it's true. But hey - if the characters and stories don't get to you then you must be a walker your self! The Walking Dead comic and TV show give the same emotional pathos as the game with the same amount of gore and potty mouth to boot! It's a clever concept that allows you - the player- to chooseDamn. Yah got me. This may be the first time I've ever gotten emotional playing a game. it's true. But hey - if the characters and stories don't get to you then you must be a walker your self! The Walking Dead comic and TV show give the same emotional pathos as the game with the same amount of gore and potty mouth to boot! It's a clever concept that allows you - the player- to choose the path of the narrative. It's a very well written script that adheres to the choices you make very well. There are a few times that your common sense wants the narrative to go where you think it should but in order to complete an episode you have to over-ride your impulses. Another small drawback is the fact that you can't forward the dialogue. That got annoying quick. The artwork from the comics flows beautifully, the foley work sounds fantastic and the voice-actors are fantastic. They really give such depth to all the characters and make everything they do so vital which are always well worth investing time and emotion. It's a rare thing indeed in a crazy world of games that just ask you to hit a button. Special kudos to Melissa Hutchison as the voice of Clementine who made me bawl over her... Expand
  32. Dec 25, 2012
    I have never played a game that can make you feel everything there is out there. A masterpiece. That ending alone deserves 10/10. Damn it, I cried like hell!
  33. Feb 24, 2013
    By 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how itBy 2012/2013 standards The Walking Dead game should suck. Graphics are stylized yet low res and clunky, music may be good and atmospheric but sounds are so generic that they don't stick out and are average at best. And mostly and above all the game is old-school point-and-click like adventure divided into series of 5 episodes. All in all it's a recipe for a huge failure. This is how it looks like in theory at least.

The truth is The Walking Dead deserves a solid 10/10 and was the gem of gaming in 2012 for me. I've mentioned all of it's shortcomings and I'm still sticking by it. As a game it's not great but as an interactive story with multiple twists and tribulations, involving characters, tough moral choices and a sense of ultimate despair that main characters are facing at all times makes it an EXTREMELY rewarding experience.
  34. Dec 18, 2012
    It is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made inIt is rare for me to give a game a 10, but The Walking Dead deserves it. Most games use story to connect one level to the next, but in TWD the gameplay connects chapters of the story together... the story is the focus in TWD. This game has the best character development and story of any game out there. I found myself liking some character while disliking others and the choices I made in the game reflected my feelings towards individuals in the group. I have never had a game make me question my own morality. A choice I made in the heat of the moment later filled me with self doubt and regret... did I make the right choice... and believe me, the choices are not easy. The game makes you feel something for the different character in the game, and if the ending does not have you at least choking back tears... then you simply are not human! This game is an instant classic and on my short list for best game I have ever played. Expand
  35. Jun 2, 2013
    Possibly the most emotion-altering game I've ever played. At first glance, I thought this was gonna be another half-baked zombie game that's beaten a dead and resurrected horse. I'm glad I was wrong there. The events of the game stay original, and you're probably not gonna easily predict things. The amount of unexpected twists in the game are remarkable, and you'll find yourselfPossibly the most emotion-altering game I've ever played. At first glance, I thought this was gonna be another half-baked zombie game that's beaten a dead and resurrected horse. I'm glad I was wrong there. The events of the game stay original, and you're probably not gonna easily predict things. The amount of unexpected twists in the game are remarkable, and you'll find yourself desperately waiting for what'll happen next. The writing is beyond excellent. I can't wait for the second season. Expand
  36. Jan 12, 2013
    The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) andThe Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series is a point and click adventure game set in a zombie-survival scenario based on the similarly named comics. However, instead of the usual puzzle-solving the player will often be called upon to make (moral) choices and weigh need with wants. The story continues through several chapters (5 at the time of writing, which concludes season 1) and throughout each chapter, the choices you made in a previous chapter will affect the reactions of those around you. The graphics are outdated but that's covered up quite well by the cel-shaded graphics and Telltale has done an excellent job at making the characters come across as human, not just through their facial expressions but also by the more than superb voice-acting and the excellent writing. I did not read the comics but I did watch the TV series and I hated it, it was far too long-winded and the characters were so annoying that I felt no connection to them but the videogame .. It's brilliant. The only thing that annoyed me was that sometimes the game mechanics change function. For example, at one point you'll be asked to undertake a certain action but you won't have a lot of information to go on. Naturally, you'll select the "Eye" icon which normally only causes Lee, the protagonist, to tell you what's going on so you can make informed decisions. However, in this case, it'll move the game on rather than give you more information. Although given the situation it is perfectly understandable but from a gaming point of view, it's punishing and confusing the player; possibly causing him to make a choice he did not want to make. These situations occur from time to time but you just deal with it, it's a minor grievance. A must-play for anyone who's into Point-and-Click games, zombie-scenarios and survival. A word of warning: this game is highly graphic. You might be used to a lot of violence in games but this game is more visceral than anything you've probably ever played. Expand
  37. Jan 5, 2013
    This is the best story based game ever released.Definitely GOTY 2012 for me.I haven't had so much fun and i felt like i was really ''living'' in that world.Everything you do have consequences later.
  38. Feb 22, 2013
    The Walking Dead deserves to be up in the ranks of Zelda OOT and Super Mario Bros for its innovative, unique way of storytelling, a cast of characters that the player will decide the connections with each of them, spot-on voice acting and many more qualities that make this game extraordinary.
  39. Jan 6, 2013
    This game is definitely worth the honour of being game of the year. I literally exclaimed out "AWESOME" or "NO" several times while playing the game! I was so taken back by what was happening and what I experienced during the game, I can't wait for the next 5 as the ending was immense :) Buy and play this game, you will not regret it!
  40. Jan 27, 2013
    Interesting semi-interactive game with a lousy interface. The fact that you cannot skip cutscenes really ticks me off. The choices you can make during the game are limited.
  41. Dec 21, 2012
    This is a game that rises above what has been released in the past few years, it brings back some of the original point and click elements and attempts to be story based game not a "lets shoot crap loads of zombies with tons of ammo and not care about the characters" instead the game is a attempt of giving players choice in what they do, but restricting them to only a small amount ofThis is a game that rises above what has been released in the past few years, it brings back some of the original point and click elements and attempts to be story based game not a "lets shoot crap loads of zombies with tons of ammo and not care about the characters" instead the game is a attempt of giving players choice in what they do, but restricting them to only a small amount of gameplay which may bore some players, but there is no denying that the game is an emotional, well written experience that is worth the price, the only reason I am giving the game a 9 is because it can sometimes feel a bit like emotional blackmail in the way it gets you to care for characters enough that the twists can often cause anger but however it is probably the best game released in the last 5 years Expand
  42. Jul 14, 2013
    You must be shocked. WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THIS GAME A SIX? Heres how ill put it. Storyline is perfect, its amazing, youll love the story. The actual gameplay is complete and utter trash. Its horrible and terrible. None of the decisions you make have any consequence on your survival, hell, they barely even matter. Sure they change how certain scenes end, but the story still drives foreward. IYou must be shocked. WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THIS GAME A SIX? Heres how ill put it. Storyline is perfect, its amazing, youll love the story. The actual gameplay is complete and utter trash. Its horrible and terrible. None of the decisions you make have any consequence on your survival, hell, they barely even matter. Sure they change how certain scenes end, but the story still drives foreward. I dont understand how anyone could look past the terrible gameplay and give this game a 10/10. I understand the conflict, but storyline is ONE ASPECT of video games. Why are all the choices with survivors forced? I knew from the moment I was forced to pick between two survivors to save that the game was going to be a forced story and that my actions would be limited, but hell, I never expected the game to blatently and utterly disregard my choices physically, with only getting some verbal acknowledgment of the choice I made. It honestly does not sit well that a game with such a great story has such terrible gameplay. I am utterly dissapointed. Expand
  43. Jun 12, 2013
    Just one point lower because of the ending

I was scared, shocked, but i found more love in my life...
    I have to place here more characters, but two sentences had done
  44. Mar 4, 2013
    Telltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gamingTelltale's The Walking Dead provides fantastic character development, storytelling and a great cast of realistic, perfect voice actors. It's hard for me to imagine no one feeling emotion when playing through The Walking Dead. Telltale's Episodic model pans the experience of The Walking Dead over a few months and gives a longer, more enjoyable saga. The Walking Dead reminds us that gaming shouldn't look like a drag act in Vegas, sparkly lights and tons of effects, but provide a larger focus on character development and storytelling. Never before has a point and click adventure ever brought me so much anticipation. Perhaps it was the storytelling and character development that excited me, or perhaps it was just the fact that I like zombies. Expand
  45. Oct 29, 2013
    A bunch of characters who say stupid things for the sole purpose of making you choose a side to be on. None of these characters are interesting or worth any sympathy. A sad humorless script. The acting is a by the numbers affair.

I did not get any bugs, I quite liked the graphics and, to an extent, to gameplay. I have nothing but admiration for games of this genre's right to exist (as opposed to the many who expected an FPS or something), but and I am clearly in the minority, I think that if you want to make a game centred on a story line you should make that story good and populate it with great characters, not morons who flip-flop to suit the needs of the contrived plot or the need for another "decision".
  46. Jan 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start? Of course with the story. That is the core of the success of this game and rightly. Story, characters are amazing and I honestly didn't expect that. Next thing is the visual side of the game. I think the style fitted the game perfectly. Also the sound/voice-acting is very well done, especially the music. I love minimalistic music, not to put it everywhere like it is in every game/movie nowadays. Reminded me so much of the use of music in the TV series Deadwood. So why not full 10/10? It is the "premise" or let's say what the game promises; your decisions will matter. Unfortunately they won't. It is just a smoke and mirrors. And with this falls down the gameplay. Tough decisions are not so tough after you realize it doesn't matter that much or at all how you decide. Ending is the same no matter how you played it. The choices have a little impact; few lines alternated and that's all. If only they didn't advocate this aspect of the game which is non-existent it would be way better, but marketing and promoting is another thing. Either way the game is amazing and I understand all those 10/10 ratings but for me it was just slightly behind. Bottom line: if you like deep and emotional story that is not easily predictable and want to try adventure with easy puzzles - get this game. Expand
  47. Feb 15, 2013
    This is definately one of the best games I've ever played. The story is totally amazing, and the way they tell it made me so emotionally engaged I just couldn't stop playing. The story and the voice acting is superb, and it really sticks with you. I love how the game adapts to my choices as it have a huge impact of the story progression, and the cellshaded graphics works really nice withThis is definately one of the best games I've ever played. The story is totally amazing, and the way they tell it made me so emotionally engaged I just couldn't stop playing. The story and the voice acting is superb, and it really sticks with you. I love how the game adapts to my choices as it have a huge impact of the story progression, and the cellshaded graphics works really nice with the games atmosphere.

Admittedly it have some minor issues, but it's pro's are outweighing it by far. The controls when shooting were a little bit clunky. I prefer playing with a gamepad, but had to switch to the mouse a few times for the shooting sequences. Also you can't skip movie sequences after having watched them once, if you happen to die or want to reload some part. And I wish they could put a save function in not just the auto save cause I ended up replaying longer parts than necessary sometimes.

I've seen some complaints that it's too little gameplay and too little action and if you can't stand story and dialogue being more prominent than shooting stuff this is not the game for you. Personally I totally loved that it was more about dialogue and some puzzle solving (I hope they have a bit more challenging puzzles in season 2 though). I think the length of the game was good too. I got totally hooked and it took me a few days to run through the 5 episodes (the reviewers saying it only takes three hours only played episode 1).

Other game makers should look at this as a very good example of what you can actually do with a game and how to tell a story, because that part was absolutely perfect. The choices are sometimes really tough, and the game actually made me cry at some points. I very much look forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead. If they can keep the same level of writing and voice acting season 2 is a must buy for me!
  48. Dec 12, 2012
    One of the best stories in a game, makes you feel for the characters and regret your hard decisions even though you know in your heart it was the right choice.

Speaking of the right choice, the right choice is to buy this now!
  49. Jan 31, 2013
    This is easily the best game in 2012 for story. The fact that some people think it is not a game just sickens me. How can people nitpick and use any straws they can cling to in order to say that it is not worthy of the high score it has?
  50. Dec 31, 2012
    The voice acting, character design, level design, all great. Quick time events are annoying. Lack of inverted mouse or gamepad controls makes the few gunfights difficult. Pathetic that inverted controls are not an option.
    However the game got a bad score from me for really just one reason. Player decisions do NOT make a difference, despite what is constantly prompted to players on-screen. The problem here is that this is the key feature of a point and click adventure like this. Take any major event in the game for example. Typically there will be a series of 6 to 10 dialogue or action sequences, each with up to 4 choices. That's great in theory, but your selections make no difference on how the story unfolds. **** is going to unfold how the writers want it no matter Lee's actions. Sure it may seem like you have choice at times, such as choosing between saving one persons life over another, or choosing to kill someone or not, but by the next scene it makes no difference. Those are only a few canned events. You'll still be headed down the same linear path. Nothing dynamic about it. There was more freedom of decision with consequence playing Leisure suit Larry 15 years ago.
  51. Dec 26, 2012
    This game has you emotionally engaged on a level similar to the Walking Dead series, if not even more so because of the length of it. (It's shorter so the 'big' events happen more regularly than in the tv series). The last time a game has had me so emotionally captured was Final Fantasy 10.
  52. May 8, 2013
    The ending of this game made me cry tears. Is that enough for you?

That aside, there are a few flaws. The adventure game puzzles are very, very basic, so if you're looking for something to challenge you, you've come to the wrong place. In addition, repeated playthroughs tend to all lead to the same outcome, which gives weight to the idea that your choices ultimately don't matter. But
    The ending of this game made me cry tears. Is that enough for you?

But by golly, it's one good narrative.
  53. May 31, 2013
    Kinda overrated. The Walking Dead has a great story and voice acting to go with it, there is no doubt about that. Just about everything else in the game is bad. The animations and lip syncing are both horrendous. Downright laughable. The graphics are supposed to represent a comic, but i've seen comics that look better than this game. Some of the textures, especially trees and bushes andKinda overrated. The Walking Dead has a great story and voice acting to go with it, there is no doubt about that. Just about everything else in the game is bad. The animations and lip syncing are both horrendous. Downright laughable. The graphics are supposed to represent a comic, but i've seen comics that look better than this game. Some of the textures, especially trees and bushes and the ground, are terrible. And the gameplay, which is the most important part of any game, is boring and sometimes unintuitive. You rarely get something to do, most of the game is watching a cutscene and listening to dialogue. But, when you do get something to do, it's just simply clicking here one to kick a zombie, or some other unimportant thing. It's not fun at all, honestly, i'd rather have just watched the game play before me then having to keep my hand on my mouse and wait an see if there is some QTE that pops up. The game also states that the decisions you make affect the game. This is true to a degree, but don't expect to be able to save one person all the way through to the end, or have your decisions greatly affect the ending. There is one ending to the game no matter what you do. The points in the game where you're supposed to pick one thing or another don't have any bearing on what happens in the end, either. So there's really no "choice" at all. I was super disappointed in this game, honestly. If you want a movie with a good, emotional story and don't care for gameplay, then buy it. But if you really want an experience you can interact with, you'd best look elsewhere. Expand
  54. Mar 6, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Changing storyline, detailed characters, edgy graphics and gameplay system. It's not a 10 because it has an occasional bug and glitch and isn't 100% refined. It's rough on a few of its edges but it's still an absolutely fantastic game worth playing. 9/10 all day.
  55. Apr 14, 2013
    Wow. Wow. Wow. WOW. WOW. Just...wow.

Wow. Wow. Wow. WOW. WOW. Just...wow.

You have to understand what you're in for--this is an interactive movie, not a game. But it is the most emotionally compelling story I have ever experienced. Hands down. I haven't cried in six years and this game changed that. I have never exploded in anger at a fictional person. This game changed that. I have never bitten my tongue in shock. This game changed that.

Instantly one of the greatest games I have ever played.
  56. Sep 29, 2014
    Game: The Walking Dead
    Genre: Point and Click Adventure
    Developer: Telltale Games System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 89/100 Value Score: 8.9/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 7/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Great storyline that ties well with The Walking Dead Universe
    Game: The Walking Dead

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Great storyline that ties well with The Walking Dead Universe
    +Different Interactions that affect the storyline as a whole increases replayability
    +Fitting music for the mood and tone of the storyline and the universe
    +Great visual art style and design that ties closely to the comic book series
    +Ability to choose to go back to certain scenes to replay again
    +400 days DLC content consists of at least 1 hour additional of gameplay
    +Fantastic voice acting

Cons
    -A few bugs such as the loading bug may occur which is fixable with changing of the exe settings
    -By choosing to go back to certain scenes to replay again you also delete any scenes that occur afterwards due to the changes of decisions that may occur
    -Very annoying mini game in the DLC
  57. Jan 27, 2013
    Terrible gameplay, but excellent story. I'm not a fan of point and click casual games, but they did a really nice job with the story. I would consider this to be more of a visual novel than a game.
  58. Feb 21, 2013
    I have one word for this "Game" "GARBAGE." It wasn't worth 25 bucks. It isn't worth 5. You would be better served to burn your 25 bucks for heat than waste it on this trash. The graphics look like some 6th grader went on a Gatorade binge and hyped all over the screen. The game play is non-existent. Way too much dialogue and when you DO finally get to do something it is timed and you doI have one word for this "Game" "GARBAGE." It wasn't worth 25 bucks. It isn't worth 5. You would be better served to burn your 25 bucks for heat than waste it on this trash. The graphics look like some 6th grader went on a Gatorade binge and hyped all over the screen. The game play is non-existent. Way too much dialogue and when you DO finally get to do something it is timed and you do not have time to read all the choices before the timer expires and it chooses for you. Steer well clear of this bomb unless you like watching a movie where you might actually get to do SOMETHING like TRY to read choice before your timer expires I feel like I just took 25 bucks and tossed it out the window into a hurricane. Expand
  59. Jul 20, 2013
    I knock games a lot, A LOT for having poor narratives and stories fit for an 8th grader, but this game is not one of them. I've been a zombie fan for a long time. I think the last great zombie game I played that tried to have a compelling story was probably Resident Evil 2, and that was a long time ago now. Walking Dead commits in one direction in the same way that Call of Duty does:I knock games a lot, A LOT for having poor narratives and stories fit for an 8th grader, but this game is not one of them. I've been a zombie fan for a long time. I think the last great zombie game I played that tried to have a compelling story was probably Resident Evil 2, and that was a long time ago now. Walking Dead commits in one direction in the same way that Call of Duty does: except instead of the direction of blowing things up you are being told a story. This story though, in many ways, is your own to tell. It's a "choose your own adventure" game to a degree, and that adds a lot to it. It's necessary even. Who will you save? Who will you feed in your group? Who gets left behind? Who is or isn't pulling their weight? Just a few decisions you'll have to make while playing. There were only maybe one or two times that I felt the pacing was slow, and towards the end of the story, things get really gripping and grim. I felt like I was back playing Resident Evil 2 again, but remember, we're talking about the same suspense and dread featured in an action horror game, except I'm experiencing it in a story game. It's just masterfully produced and executed. I found it a pleasure to look at on my monitor as well. It looks markedly better on PC than it does on the Xbox. I really can't say enough. It's sort of the "game I've been waiting for." I facepalm constantly at the horrible story direction that most games have, this was like being thrown a much wanted bone. Only problem: it will leave you hungry for more. Expand
  60. Dec 22, 2012
    Definitely one of the best games of the year, hands down! The storytelling was amazing, the voice acting was great (with the exception of Clementine for me, but perhaps that's how she was supposed to be and it just went over my head), the graphics weren't top-notch but they captured that comic book feel, and the interface was pretty good. Sometimes I felt the point-and-clickDefinitely one of the best games of the year, hands down! The storytelling was amazing, the voice acting was great (with the exception of Clementine for me, but perhaps that's how she was supposed to be and it just went over my head), the graphics weren't top-notch but they captured that comic book feel, and the interface was pretty good. Sometimes I felt the point-and-click quick-time-events were a bit clunky. Sometimes I was clicking, multiple times, on the designated area, but nothing happened. Also the lack of free saving during the game and the inability to skip dialogue scenes was a bit irritating. The game is definitely not action-oriented. It's all story and character. But each episode makes you make some very hard decisions and the game takes those choices into account as the world moves on. Some choices have higher values than others, and you sometimes learn that the hard way, and sometimes the choices you make seem like they would have a bigger impact but then they don't... That's why I gave the game a 9/10. Overall, it's an amazing game that deserves some of the highest praise, but there are just a few things that stick out that keep it from being perfect. It's more inconsistencies than anything... But if you get it, and you don't mind doing the story/puzzle thing instead of shooting 50,000,000 zombies in the face, then you'll definitely enjoy the ride! Expand
  61. Jan 16, 2013
    I find that the "choice" factor in the game is meaningless. The ending, no matter what you choose, is the same. The only thing that changes with these choices is the dialogue. However, the story was so good in my opinion that it deserves an eight.
  62. Jun 24, 2013
    I haven't felt this connected to a game in a while. Just a fair warning: if you don't like cutscenes, then this game isn't for you. This point and click adventure is basically one big cutscene and more like watching the TV show than playing a game, but that isn't a bad thing. The only complaints i have for the Xbox version of the game is occasional slowdown and glitches. It can be prettyI haven't felt this connected to a game in a while. Just a fair warning: if you don't like cutscenes, then this game isn't for you. This point and click adventure is basically one big cutscene and more like watching the TV show than playing a game, but that isn't a bad thing. The only complaints i have for the Xbox version of the game is occasional slowdown and glitches. It can be pretty distracting. Expand
  63. Jan 2, 2013
    There is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as definedThere is no game-play - ok you have to move the mouse and press a few buttons now and then, the rest of the time you are just along for the ride. I am the kind of person who hates cut-scenes, so it takes a little getting used to, being an observer .. Some of the comments about this not actually being a game have some validity, however it is interactive to an extent. As a game, as defined by being physically involved in pressing buttons as action plays out on the screen, this would get a 3 or 4 out of 10. But it's not aiming for this market - this is an emotional journey. As much as I yearned for better game-play and deeper interactivity with the environment and more action, I also respected the fact that I can always boot up Left for Dead anytime I want. This is something different - and for that reason alone, it's worth your time. Expand
  64. Mar 25, 2013
    I usually hate story focused games. I just want a game to PLAY, and prefer to enjoy my storytelling in books, movies, even TV. Maybe that's because most games just do an abysmally amateurish job of it, but this game is one of very few exceptions. The story is almost good enough to forget it doesn't even have any gameplay. For a gamer like me, that's saying a whole lot. Highly recommended.
  65. Nov 7, 2013
    An unique experience where the players choices are meaningful combine with its exceptional narrative makings this one of the best point clickers adventures around after completing the game I can truly see why many gaming sites gave The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series their Game Of The Year 2012 the only grip I have is that the steam version can be bugged with it save files but theirsAn unique experience where the players choices are meaningful combine with its exceptional narrative makings this one of the best point clickers adventures around after completing the game I can truly see why many gaming sites gave The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series their Game Of The Year 2012 the only grip I have is that the steam version can be bugged with it save files but theirs a fix available. Expand
  66. Dec 11, 2012
    Video games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that isVideo games are art, or are they? This is a question that has been floating around the industry for years but has never truly been taken serious until this generation of gaming. In many ways it really comes down to how grounded your opinion of art is. Is art free form to you? Is it something that can only be achieved via deep principals, or is it simply anything and everything that is created as a form of expression? While I am not going to further this argument with this review, I will say this. If video games have the ability to be art simply through story telling and tapping at the spine of our emotions then Telltale Expand
  67. Jan 8, 2013
    Having finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that someHaving finally beaten all 5 episodes, I can easily see why people would think this is a game of the year candidate. However, I had a few issues that kept it from being my GotY. Frankly, for a game that's supposed to be solely based on the decisions you make, very few decisions throughout the story actually affected the overall outcome of the story, even when they made you think that some of the biggest choices you would have to make turned out not to even matter a bit. However the game does quite a few things well and the best thing I can relate it too is Heavy Rain. The story the game tells is a wonderful one and, even for people who aren't into the Walking Dead franchise that much like I was, they will get so much out of this game. I really felt for the characters and some of the decisions they had to make. Losing any of the characters, even some of the smaller ones, affected me greatly. I haven't felt this emotional about a game in a long time and that speaks volumes to me. This game has made me want to get into the entire franchise now and, even with that tiny issue I said before, this is easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. However, don't expect to do much going into it because this game is basically here to tell a story and that's it. If you can get over that, then you'll love this game to death. I wouldn't call it my GotY, but it's easily in the top 5 this year and it's something I'll be really keeping an eye on when season 2 rolls around. Expand
  68. Mar 27, 2013
    Such a seriously waste of time, money, great potential and from the developers standpoint talent. This is not even a proper game you click one button watch some boring cut scene wait for some drawn out and pointless quick time event and then maybe if you're lucky you get to walk around a bit in a boring and uninspired travesty of a zombie overrun world, rinse and repeat. The only reasonSuch a seriously waste of time, money, great potential and from the developers standpoint talent. This is not even a proper game you click one button watch some boring cut scene wait for some drawn out and pointless quick time event and then maybe if you're lucky you get to walk around a bit in a boring and uninspired travesty of a zombie overrun world, rinse and repeat. The only reason this game has gotten any positive attention is obviously because of the excellent TV series and the only reason this game has won any awards apart from the bad ones (Which is the ones that it deserves) is because its different NOT good but different. Hopefully someone will pull themselves together and produce a game worthy of The Walking Dead name. I'm hoping that this was just some sort of speed bump in the progression of gaming cause if what we see is the future then we might as well pack up now and be gone cause no good can come of this. I'm being exceedingly generous by giving this so called "Game" a score of 2. Expand
  69. Dec 18, 2013
    Broken & horribly optimized, the game screwed my saved file 3 times in a row and I literally had to edit the games programming just to make the damn game functional.
    While the story was good, story alone is not worth the massive acclaim this game is getting, if anybody thinks this broken game is worth a 10/10 then you have the worst possible taste in gaming ever.
  70. Jun 3, 2013
    Despite the reputation and praises I avoided this game like the plague due to the interactive story label. While I still don't think the game is worth it's full asking price I do feel it's absolutely worth grabbing on a sale. Took me slightly north of 10 hours to beat all 5 episodes. The story is amazing and does a very good job creating tension and, for the most part, does an excellentDespite the reputation and praises I avoided this game like the plague due to the interactive story label. While I still don't think the game is worth it's full asking price I do feel it's absolutely worth grabbing on a sale. Took me slightly north of 10 hours to beat all 5 episodes. The story is amazing and does a very good job creating tension and, for the most part, does an excellent job of creating the "just one more turn" desire. Looking forward to the sequel and may also take a chance on Wolf Among Us, on sale of course. Collapse
  71. Jun 19, 2013
    The story and wrting is absolutely amazing. It triggers such emotional responses and is never dull or lackluster. The Characters, while rather normal people, grow on you. While you don't really care for them at first, they grow on you rather fast and you become very attached to them (in most cases at least). It really hurts to see them leave the group or even get killed.

This game is

This game is one of the best games I ever played, definitely in my top 3, and has the best narration of any game I have ever played. I will definitely buy season 2, I can hardly wait until the first episode is released!!
  72. Oct 6, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of zombie games but the story and the impact you can have on the story is that good it kept enticing me to come back for more. I can't wait to see what more is in store for the second season of The Walking Dead.
  73. Apr 24, 2013
    Stop reading reviews on metacritic, get Telltale's The Walking Dead and get ready for a truly unique, enthralling and incredibly immersive experience (of the extent the gaming industry hasn't seen in many a year)!
  74. Jan 28, 2013
    Anyone who doesn't view Telltale's The Walking Dead as a masterpiece doesn't have a good taste in games. After a frustrating experience with AMC's The Walking Dead television adaptation, I was surprised to see that Telltale was able to capture the gruesome dark horror of Kirkman's comic, with some amazing new characters and stories. A must play.
  75. Jan 11, 2013
    this game was awesome. for all the people complaining about how restrictive decisions are dont get on how big of a universe they would have to span up and just how much work that would be. someone would have to pay for it so it still stays cool. i believe the guys did an awesome job. in the end it was about storytelling that can be influenced. i am just not sure what i want continued forthis game was awesome. for all the people complaining about how restrictive decisions are dont get on how big of a universe they would have to span up and just how much work that would be. someone would have to pay for it so it still stays cool. i believe the guys did an awesome job. in the end it was about storytelling that can be influenced. i am just not sure what i want continued for season 2 really. the ending is hard, but its also a good one, something they could just leave be and pick off somewhere else even though i die wanting to know how it continues, but thats just like in the better stories to leave some space for imagination Expand
  76. Feb 17, 2013
    One of the better games made out there, the game has very suprisingly very few cons and massive, massive pros.For starters the game is unbelievably simplistic and enjoyable and yet allows players to feel immersive and convinced. But despite the immersive element, the role playing sections felt slightly above average at best, it lacks punishment or consequences for decisions as in the endOne of the better games made out there, the game has very suprisingly very few cons and massive, massive pros.For starters the game is unbelievably simplistic and enjoyable and yet allows players to feel immersive and convinced. But despite the immersive element, the role playing sections felt slightly above average at best, it lacks punishment or consequences for decisions as in the end most decisions tend play out the same, and I felt that this severely prohibited me from really getting back into the game as I felt a little ticked off when I heard from friends that my decisions made no difference to how the plot continues. However, what the game fails to hold up to in decision making, it easily makes up for it's incredible ability to draw emotional responses. The game greatly succeeds in giving the player the true emotional stress of the apocalyptic situation, as the player no longer has the time to "think" but is instead forced to just act on instinct and bias, and the decisions while generally lacking in diversity, does help build extremely heavy emotional attachment and tension to characters, which are an entirely new list of pros and cons. The characters are done absolutely well, and if I may argue, play a larger part than the plot itself. Not only are the characters interesting and varied (despite some very generic characters...ahem... Mark), but more importantly the characters are not kiss ups, players will feel then massive tension between characters and are forced to choose based on real life bias, and not just choose "the hot girl" or the "ultimate nice guy". However character's do get very boring after a few hours into the game, you completely figure out what their going to be like by the time your in chapter 3, and after that players will no longer be interested in sharing and talking with them other than cutscenes, all the characters save Clementine and Kenny. The story shines amazingly, pulling emotional moments everywhere and succeeding in showing the true desperation of the characters. However, the gameplay suffers... Early in the game, the simple and artistic look will drag players into the game like mad. However, the gameplay itself gets tremendously tedious after a few chapters, and players seem to be driven entirely by plot and characters, and not by fun and exciting moments, like in other titles such as Mass effect 3 and Halo 4 (I am not advocating the said games, merely stating how both manage to draw a better than usual plot [save Mass effect 3's horrendous ending] while keeping gameplay oddly addictive [probably the shooting], in fact I'd say both games have an overall weaker plot than that of tthe Walking Dead). In conclusion, the game is excellent in it's immersive aspect and very well done in emotional tension, mental stress and general plot and character development, however the repetitive gameplay and annoyingly slow movements make the game feel less of a proper game and more of a really really really well done interactive TV show. So get the game but don't expect fun fun fun, but instead get some tissues and try not cry all the time. Expand
  77. Jan 4, 2013
    choices dont matter jack, the games a steaming pile. jittery, buggy, and a complete croc of s***. i wish i never spent good hard earned cash on this crock
  78. Feb 19, 2013
    An all right visual novel, with some interesting characters. Sadly your actions don't actually affect the ending, and in a visual novel (and YES, it is a visual novel, not a game) that is pretty important. And in terms of the ending (which I won't spoil) which people constantly say is amazing and emotional, was pretty much nothing compared to many other games, To The Moon being a good example.
  79. Sep 24, 2013
    An all-around great experience. Never has a game make me truly like or dislike characters the way The Walked Dead did. Although it's named after a popular comic/TV series, the characters and the relationships they form are the core of the game, not the universe in which it is set. I believe the game could have had a completely different setting, replacing zombines with some other genericAn all-around great experience. Never has a game make me truly like or dislike characters the way The Walked Dead did. Although it's named after a popular comic/TV series, the characters and the relationships they form are the core of the game, not the universe in which it is set. I believe the game could have had a completely different setting, replacing zombines with some other generic Bad Thing, and it would have been just as great. In other words this game is awesome even if you aren't a fan of the comics/tv show. Or even a fan of zombie games. Expand
  80. Mar 19, 2014
    I love it. It's not like a game at all. It's like I'm watching a movie and reading its story in the same time carefully or even more than that, like you live the story. It's very interesting and very beneficial.
  81. Jan 25, 2013
    I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon.I really have to say this game is almost perfection. I was worried about it going in that it would focus too much on random zombie action and take away from WHY we love the Walking Dead. We like it because it actually has story and character development. Not just random gore. The game is a point and click adventure. If that's not your type of game wait for the crappy FPS coming out soon. (That I'll still probably play.) The timed decisions mechanic is a great move from the developers. Only have seconds to make a split choice really ripens the tension and panic of your situations. On top of that the game has a lot of content. 5 full episodes that can be a couple hours each to finish, with different paths and outcomes depending on how your handle things. Every choice you make can affect you way later down the road to similar to the style Mass Effect recently took.

If your a fan of the show, comics, zombies in general and like a good game that will challenge your wit and morals, get it.
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    What an incredible game! Really worthy of The Walking Dead`s title.
    If you know TWD, you sure as hell also know that everybody dies, but what matters is what you do before you get taken out. The game shows that splendidly, you may know that those characters won`t probably last long, but you get to care for them and their deaths (excluding a couple of them) are really felt.
    Incredible history.
  83. Jan 30, 2013
    See I love the show so I figured, "Hey the game must be awesome! Can't wait to shoot zombies!" Well don't waste your money. The controls are ridiculously idiotic and it should not be in the third person. There's no character development (none of them are likeable, just annoying) and you hardly do anything in the game anyways! There's no shooting, only derpty doo going to put my littleSee I love the show so I figured, "Hey the game must be awesome! Can't wait to shoot zombies!" Well don't waste your money. The controls are ridiculously idiotic and it should not be in the third person. There's no character development (none of them are likeable, just annoying) and you hardly do anything in the game anyways! There's no shooting, only derpty doo going to put my little floating d-pad on the zombie and let the game do everything for me! Lee moves as fast as a snail and the areas are always too limited and hard to navigate. I'm glad i got it half off or i would've been really mad. Expand
  84. Sep 10, 2013
    I mostly just play FPS and FP/RPGs these days. I played the demo of TWD on the Xbox thought oh deary me a point and click adventure with QTE sequences under the guise of a Zombie Comic Book Theme so gave it a long pass. On sale on Steam gave it another chance. Now its complete U-turn, the game is grimmer than the TV series and overall is a gripping emotional shocker. Broken Sword is aI mostly just play FPS and FP/RPGs these days. I played the demo of TWD on the Xbox thought oh deary me a point and click adventure with QTE sequences under the guise of a Zombie Comic Book Theme so gave it a long pass. On sale on Steam gave it another chance. Now its complete U-turn, the game is grimmer than the TV series and overall is a gripping emotional shocker. Broken Sword is a Point and Click game, Dragons Lair QTE game a hater of those two genres, the TWD has melded the two genres together so well it makes a lover of this hybrid game, pure gaming genius. Expand
  85. Jan 4, 2013
    You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game,You know what? I don't care for many of the flaws that plague this game. All those little annoyances are nothing, nothing to detract you from this master of story driven games. Obviously, video games are not exactly high regarded when it comes to the storyline and yet This game has some of the best set of narrative, characters, and dialog you can find in the industry. But is it a game, really? I see it as more of an experience. An interactive tv series, if you will. Gameplay elements are rather thin in this game, like in most point and click adventure games. The chocies you make are difficult, and even if they don't have too much effect on the outcome of the story(from what we have seen at the end of the 5 chapters), they still change characters behavior and dialog along the way. But it doesn't matter at all, in my opinion. The choices you make still dictate how you will feel at the end of the game. Have I done the right thing here? could I have saved this person if I did that? if you are making choices without caring too much because it's "just a game", then your experience will be the same. The characters are outstanding, through voice acting and choices they make, this is as far as you can get from the "black and white" storyline that's found in most videogames these days. If you invest yourself into the narrative and characters, and really think about what's the right thing to do(in your eyes), you could find yourself drawn into one of the best games of the year, or interactive movies, or however you wanna call it. It really doesn't matter one bit. Expand
  86. Mar 16, 2013
    The game excels in the character development that overshadows almost every game in the industry now. The gameplay is not complicated or hard, so it SHOULD lose points for lacking in that department, but the writing is so far beyond what we have that it deserves a 10/10.

I bought it once it won game of the year, and it deserved the win. Writing is so important now. The gaming industry is getting larger and its audience more mature. We need games that immerse us, not just entertain us. I love movies and some games need to be a medium to tell a story. If I just want gameplay I'll go play my vast arcade game library (fez, shootmania, dota 2, etc).
  87. Apr 19, 2013
    That's the difference of "games of truth" to the "games" that we see today Loved every minute of this game and it really reminds me of the golden age of gaming in 1994 onwards with point click games like The Dig and the famous Monkey Island. Bought without fear and do not regret a penny. simply fantastic
  88. May 29, 2013
    Disclaimer: I write this hoping that I will someday revise this with a higher score. However, at the current time this game is for me unplayable. My review is based solely on my experience with this game. Yours (hopefully!) will be different and far less buggy. Even if I revise it, it is highly unlikely that the walking dead for Mac will receive a score above 7.

I bought this game

I bought this game as a pre-packaged whole rather episode by episode, so I hoped and expected that the major bugs had been worked out. Nooooooope! Through 1 episode this game was everything I'd hoped it would be. And then none of my decisions transferred over into episode 2. None! Since the game is basically a glorified choose your own adventure novel, this completely an utterly destroys any reason you have to play the game. This is a bug so crippling that, for the first time, I give a game a score of 0.

Now, apparently, not everyone has this bug. But from what I've read it's not limited to the transfer from episode 1 to 2. Second, there are fixes out there for PC. But God help you if you play the game on Mac because no one else will.

As I've said, I hope that I can find the a fix for this problem and give this game a better score, but until I can I'm not awarding a single point to a choice based game that loses track of my choices. But even I can fix this, I'm going to be far more afraid of this happening again than I am of any walkers.

There's another serious bug that I have yet to mention, though it's minimal by comparison. When playing in fullscreen, the game's nigh unplayable because the mouse often gets incredibly sluggish. I could rapidly and repeatedly swipe my finger over the length of the mousepad and get minimal movement. This was usually merely annoying but in action sequences it was fatal. So I was forced to play in immersion breaking windowed mode. I was able to fake fullscreen by using Apple's universal access features to zoom in on the window, but it's far from a perfect fix.

There's no other way to put it: The walking dead is great game weighed down and ultimately utterly crushed by two serious bugs. It is completely inexcusable and an absolute embarrassment that telltale hasn't fixed these bugs yet. I cannot recommend this game to anyone.
  89. Dec 15, 2012
    Lets start with the best thing about this game which is the story. I was really impressed by the way things moved in the game one tragedy after the other you cant help but feel the tension that is surviving in a world like that. Even when i was just exploring I just couldnt feel safe anywhere. Also, almost all the characters in the game have managed to create a emotional response fromLets start with the best thing about this game which is the story. I was really impressed by the way things moved in the game one tragedy after the other you cant help but feel the tension that is surviving in a world like that. Even when i was just exploring I just couldnt feel safe anywhere. Also, almost all the characters in the game have managed to create a emotional response from myself. I hated some, I loved some but rarely I felt indifferent about them and that is always a plus. Honestly, at some point I started caring for Clementine like she was my own daughter. The only character I felt lacked depth was the main character but I think that may be on purpose because your supposed to feel like you are the main character. The gameplay itself was a little lackluster in some parts, with some solutions being WAY too obvious. I barely had to think when solving the problems in the game. But this isnt a traditional point and click adventure so I took only 1 point from my review. The graphics and sound are all top notch but some of the voice acting was bad to the point it made me laugh. Great game, definetly one of the best of the year. Expand
  90. Mar 2, 2013
    This is my favorite game of 2012 and imo the best adventure game of its class to be released this century if not ever. The story and pacing were both superb and I am anticipating a sequel. The fact it came out at a time when entertainment is over-saturated with zombie media makes it all the more surprising that I became so invested in it. I couldn't have asked for anything more.
  91. May 13, 2013
    Telltale truly made a masterpiece. I've owned this game since it's release on steam however, I never bothered posting until now since I don't use Metacritc often. I've always been a fan of the Walking Dead world with the comics, books, shows, and with this games as well.

As a warning to those who are looking to buy this game: This game is not your average zombie shooter/hack & slash or what have you. This is essentially an interactive novel/TV show broken down into 5 episodes with the beginning of each episode having a "previously on the Walking Dead" showing your actions and choices from the previous episode. You must enjoy a good story in order to enjoy this game. If you buy it thinking it's a zombie shooter and you're going to run around hacking zombies you're going to be disappointed; Which is what I assume most people who gave it a negative review assumed after reading their reviews.

However, if you do enjoy a good story you're going to enjoy if not love this game and shed a tear like I did at the end and eagerly await season 2 this fall like I am.
  92. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Some graphic and sound bugs (but a great voice acting), but still a perfect adaptation of the original comic, but disappointed that the final did not have the emotional impact as I expected. Expand
  93. Mar 22, 2013
    I can't believe the positive reviews this game got. I DO trust you all recall the fiasco when Telltale game devs were caught writing their own reviews for Jurrasic Park on this sight? This is at best, a decent story, that semi-allows you to interact with it as it goes along. Overall it's poorly done with consoles in mind.
  94. Jul 7, 2013
    A good story accompanied by good characters makes for a good game. As overrated as this game is, I really enjoyed the story and making decisions throughout the whole game. It doesn't really separate itself from the normal Telltale controls where you move, collect things, and make decisions... but it is one of the best Telltale games I have played (only being that I haven't played thatA good story accompanied by good characters makes for a good game. As overrated as this game is, I really enjoyed the story and making decisions throughout the whole game. It doesn't really separate itself from the normal Telltale controls where you move, collect things, and make decisions... but it is one of the best Telltale games I have played (only being that I haven't played that many). It's a really good game that you'll be immersed into story right until the very tear jerking last minute. As pessimistic as I am about Season Two, I am still looking forward to it. Expand
  95. Jan 12, 2013
    I had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. TheyI had a great time with the walking dead. The story and characters are really good. The dialogue system works great and you get the feel that your actions actually have some real impact on the story. The adventure-game part of the game works well enough and the "puzzles" is reasonably challenging. All the action in the game is basically hidden quicktime-events and they work alright. They don't break the tension or atmosphere that the game successfully builds up but they are neither challenging or especially rewarding. The cellshaded graphics looks alright for the most part. Some parts looks pure ugly though. The game cutscenes are unskippable which would be tolerable for the first play-through if the checkpoint system didn't have a habit of placing you before those unskippable cutscenes. I cannot understand how anyone could believe that to be a good idea. The walking dead is not a traditional game and have a lot more in common with visual novels which is something that might turn a lot of people off. The game is basically a visual novel with some adventure-game parts, a lot of quicktime-events, good dialogue-system, interesting characters and an engrossing story. And i would definitely recommend this game if that sounds interesting to you. Expand
  96. Dec 31, 2012
    After hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter whenAfter hearing about this game for a few weeks and playing the demo, I finally decided to buy it off Steam after Episode 2 had been released, and I never regretted the purchase for a second. First of all, the story, it follows a man called Lee Everett as he gets tossed into the world filled with the undead, and meets up with Clementine, a little girl who was at home with a babysitter when the dead started walking the streets. What follows is five fantastic Episodes with lots of different characters, since I don't want to give anything away I won't say any more than this. The gameplay is based around a few different mechanics such as occasionally moving around and clicking on objects, quick time events, dialogue and shooting scenes once in a while. This limits the player interaction with the game to allow a higher focus on story, the one issue I had with the gameplay was the movement, as it seemed a little difficult to get used to at first, but after an hour or two of playing it starts to feel better. The dialogue choices add a lot more repeatability to the Episodes, as anything you say can have an effect on the story and how characters interact with you. The art style is sort of like a Graphic Novel, kind of like Borderlands. I feel this is a nice change because it allows the environments to be more colourful or very dull if the situation requires it, this makes it look very unique as not many games share this same kind of art style. Overall, the game is fantastic, by far the best game I have played in a long time, never mind this year, and due to the Episode structure of the game it allowed for more suspense to build up, I had a lot of fun talking to people about what we thought would happen in the next Episode of the game, much like we would on the Walking Dead TV show. If you really enjoy a good story, look no further than this game, you will LOVE IT. Expand
  97. Jan 13, 2013
    Admittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. ItAdmittedly I am not big fan of point and click adventure but this game made me a fan. From the graphics that was taking from the Walking Dead comics by Robert Kirkman, to the characters with seamless emotional complicated depth and the story, which gives great sense of desolation, despair as well as the will of the human spirit, hope, friendship, with many twists and shocks all round. It makes you feel that you are in a post apocalyptic world, this game is a triumph and worth checking it. Expand
  98. Dec 30, 2012
    A sad story bundled with brilliant gameplay. Don't believe the ones who criticize this great game. It is based on the Walking Dead Comic series, which the TV series is based off of. The choices you make effect the game. You can't always be a saint, and have to make very tough decisions. It's art that is a video game, and it'll manage to make even the hardest of stones, cry.
  99. Mar 11, 2013
    This is basically a 'choose your own adventure' type of game, much like the kids books from the early and mid 1980s. People looking for a FPS or action game will be disappointed. Its fair to say this isn't a game in the traditional sense, its more like a story you help craft. No serious consequences if you die, you will just automatically restart at the most recent auto-save point in theThis is basically a 'choose your own adventure' type of game, much like the kids books from the early and mid 1980s. People looking for a FPS or action game will be disappointed. Its fair to say this isn't a game in the traditional sense, its more like a story you help craft. No serious consequences if you die, you will just automatically restart at the most recent auto-save point in the game. People complaining about the story being 'forced' must be forgetting that this is a story about a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE...talk about forced, lol. After each chapter you get to see the results of your choices compared to other players. In this way its kind of like seeing the results of a moral social experiment. At the very end of the game you get to see a very brief list of how your choices effected each character and how the dead characters died. But Clementine is not on this list!! You have to wait until all the end credits are done, then you watch a brief scene that is ambiguous at best. I would like to see just a tad of RPG elements added to this type of game. So after each chapter the choices you made have an impact on what type of skills or traits you can further develop. This genre of 'game' is not bad imho, but it could have a bit more complex gameplay. Expand
  100. Jul 28, 2013
    This walks the thin line between being a game and being interactive entertainment. The play reminds me of a "choose your own adventure" book from back inthe 1980s. The music and sound effects are good, the art is a nice comic book style, the controls are smooth, as is the camera. I enjoyed playing the first season. After the complete second season comes out, I'll probably get it whenThis walks the thin line between being a game and being interactive entertainment. The play reminds me of a "choose your own adventure" book from back inthe 1980s. The music and sound effects are good, the art is a nice comic book style, the controls are smooth, as is the camera. I enjoyed playing the first season. After the complete second season comes out, I'll probably get it when it goes on sale. Not a game I'd pay full price for, but worth 50% off. Expand
  101. Jun 3, 2013

It’s not perfect but The Walking Dead is one of the most important advances in interactive fiction for a generation, with some of the most memorable characters of any video game.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    The Walking Dead is a serious, solid, but clay-footed work; in truth, it wouldn't stand out from the crowd if video game storytelling wasn't so impoverished to begin with.
  3. Feb 10, 2013
    A test of your moral fortitude in a world that's gone to the dogs. [March 2013, p.76]