8.4

1. Jan 7, 2014
    I really enjoyed this game. I agree that some of the choices are made for you and some caracters will die whatever you do, but it's to be expected to be able to tell a story. Overall caracters have a sense and a meaning to their being there and to story keeps you going with a good sense of tension. Just be aware that this is more of a point and click adventure than an action title, so ifI really enjoyed this game. I agree that some of the choices are made for you and some caracters will die whatever you do, but it's to be expected to be able to tell a story. Overall caracters have a sense and a meaning to their being there and to story keeps you going with a good sense of tension. Just be aware that this is more of a point and click adventure than an action title, so if you expect Left4Dead with a story, you will not like this game. Expand
  2. Jan 1, 2014
    Absolutely wonderfully done game. Not your typical game where you will sit and strategize, but it definitely puts the user into the story. The story is extremely gripping and I found myself with my jaw dropped due to plot twists and just plain old shocking moments Walking Dead style. You really don't know what will happen next.
  3. Dec 8, 2013
    Wow, what a ride this was.

TellTale has done a great job. The writers created a story which was not only captivating but an amazing emotional experience. The Walking Dead is a comic-book drawn style adventure game in which the choices you make tailor the story you play going forward and continuously shape the people around you and your game play experience. Every action has
    Wow, what a ride this was.

Every action has consequences and you never can please everyone.

-- Gameplay
    -----------------
    The game mechanics are nice and simple. The story progresses through point-click action and mainly through dialog with the people you encounter.

During the dialogs you will be presented with several choices of answers.
    Each answer may or may not have consequences and alters how other people see you, trust you or even start disliking you.

Every now and then you will end up in a heavy story-changing scenario in which the story going forward is altered quite strongly.
    You might need to make a choice to save one or another person, run or fight or other difficult choice.
    Those choices alter the story quite drastic in places to the extend whereby you might end up continuing your story with different people then if you had made different choices or people start treating you completely different from that moment on.

-- The Story
    -----------------

The game places you in control of Lee a man on his way to prison as the story begins and has no idea yet what is happening.
    As you are trying to deal with the world as it now is you stumble across an 8 year old girl named Clementine who you will decide to help out and team up with.

For the duration of the story your relationship with Clementine and others you meet evolves and are shaped continuously based on the choices you make and how you treat each person.

I don't want to give to much of the main background story away so I'm not going into to much details.
    Let's just say, for the rest of the game you and Clementine will come across other people and groups, some highly irritating and disturbed while others are more neutral and well meaning, though you will find it hard to quickly know who to trust and who you can't.

Quite often you will find yourself in situations you wish you could make different choices then the ones presented or make choices you know might not be right but need to be made.

-----------------
    -- Summary
    -----------------

Personally I can only say that TellTale and the Writes have delivered something very simplistic but yet so wonderful you are feeling you are writing your own story which will grab you, slowly pulling you deeper and deeper into this emotional roller coaster ride and will not let you go.

By the end of Episode 5 you will just find yourself staring blankly at the credits slowly processing this whole experience.
    Well, that what it was like for me and I'm already looking very much forward to December 17th to continue on.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough and hope you will enjoy it as much as I have.
  4. Nov 29, 2013
    Some people may say that this game is too slow, and it may not be for those people, but seriously, when I got into this game, which sometimes takes a couple of chapters it is one of the deepest and most emotional games that I have ever played. BUY BUY BUY!
  5. Oct 12, 2013
    Anybody who rates this game less than a 8 is a got darn idiot.. Ive never been a fan of point and clicks but this has to be the most amazing story-driven point and click ive ever played. Not only that it is one of the best gaming experiences ive ever had. i bought this on steam on sale at a super discounted price and the dlc episode...My drow dropped at some of the things that happend inAnybody who rates this game less than a 8 is a got darn idiot.. Ive never been a fan of point and clicks but this has to be the most amazing story-driven point and click ive ever played. Not only that it is one of the best gaming experiences ive ever had. i bought this on steam on sale at a super discounted price and the dlc episode...My drow dropped at some of the things that happend in this game. Damn near cried after episode 5... you get attached sooo much to the characters. I am a real gamer and not a dev check me out on steam and you will see...this game is simply amazing and would give season one of the show a run for its money. i will buy the walking dead season 2 at full price...and i dont say that about ANY games...because im cheap as hell. Point blank buy this masterpiece. IT won GOTY for a reason. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    I seldom felt this much for the characters in a video game. The gameplay itself is pretty simple, but nevertheless entertaning, because of the hard choices you have to make under time pressure.
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an episodic graphic adventure game based on the original graphic novel series by Robert Kirkman. It tells the story of Lee Everett; a convicted murderer, who during the course of the zombie apocalypse comes across a young girl; Clementine, and vows to take care of her. Perhaps one of the most unique elements of the game is that in many ways game play is secondary, it’s more used as a medium to tell the story which is based around your characters choices. These choices change the way the story plays out and are carried over from episode to episode.

The choices are probably the most important part of the game and it’s where a lot of the fun comes from, you’re constantly placed in moral dilemmas that never seem to have a right or a wrong answer. Try to do the right thing and it can seriously backfire, do the wrong thing and it may come back to haunt you episodes later. One of the first major choices in the game takes place during Episode 1; Walkers break into your hide out and grab two of your people, you can only save one. This choice; Doug or Carley, can completely change the way things happen within the next few episodes. It only gets harder from there, someone in your group has just murdered another in cold blood, do you leave them behind or take them with you? A car lies abandoned by the side of the road, do you take the food or leave it?

Another big impact of your choices is the way it affects other characters disposition towards you, and chances are at some point you’re going to need their help, how you’ve acted towards them in the past decides how they act in the future. The plot seems to have more twists than M. Night Shyamalan can shake a stick at, never take anything for granted while playing, seriously, it saves a lot of tears. Joking aside the plot twists are done very well, many you never see coming and they integrate very well into the overall story. Throughout all of the story your main focus is on Clementine; an eight year old girl who has to be the best child video game character ever written. She’s intelligent and witty, she gets scared and puts on a brave face, she’s your average eight year old. You really discover how much you come to care for her as you play the game, your choices are affected as you find you’ll do anything to protect this one little girl. At the end of the day she seems like the only character you can trust in the game.

The gameplay itself is rather simple, built using the lua based Telltale tool it allows the game to be ported to many different platforms such as the PS3, PSVita, iOS, Ouya, Mac, Xbox 360 and PC. As I said before the gameplay really tends to come secondary to the story, unlike most adventure games there’s a lack of puzzles, which although it may disappoint some gamers I personally find it a refreshing take on the genre. The game operates mainly using a simple point and click interface that is obviously designed for console use, although slightly more taxing to use on a PC there’s not much difference. The simple UI is clear and informative without being too spartan or verbose. At certain points quick time events appear, usually requiring the rapid pressing of the Q key or to use the mouse in some fashion. All in all it makes for a simple, yet effective gameplay system.

Despite all this the game isn’t perfect, it suffers some frame rate issues and graphical bugs. Characters sometimes can seem to move a bit oddly, while not too jarring they can occasionally be an annoyance. Like any game with dialogue trees statements can sometimes seem out of place in the mood of the character, although on the whole the voice acting is excellent and it’s not too noticeable. There are also some reports of some infrequent save game issues although personally I haven’t experienced any.

The game also has a DLC pack; 400 Days available for download. 400 Days is not a part of the main story, rather it’s a special episode following five different people through the apocalypse as their paths are interwoven with each other, again it’s a very well written, well voice acted episode and while not required to enjoy the rest of the game it’s a nice fix for those of you who have completed the main game and are tired of waiting for Season 2.

All in all Telltale’s The Walking Dead is an excellent video game, one of the few licensed video games that actually got it right for once. I’d highly recommend it to anyone who’s a fan of the TV and graphic novels, also to anyone who’s a fan of zombie fiction and post apocalyptic horror. in fact I recommend it to pretty much everyone. A very well executed game, and what’s more there’s a second season on the way pretty soon. I give it a 9 out of 10
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    best game I have ever played in my life
    great voice work, brilliant camera work, the chemistry between Lee and Clementine
    the end is the saddest ending ever which is a great credit because I felt so sorry for the characters
  9. Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not really a fan of zombie films/games, and point and click usually isn't my thing either, but my word this game is good. It's actually more of an interactive story than a game, but for me, that's not a problem. Sure, some of the puzzles are a little tedious because of the slightly clunky movement engine, but these blemishes are completely forgotten about when you're forced to save oneI'm not really a fan of zombie films/games, and point and click usually isn't my thing either, but my word this game is good. It's actually more of an interactive story than a game, but for me, that's not a problem. Sure, some of the puzzles are a little tedious because of the slightly clunky movement engine, but these blemishes are completely forgotten about when you're forced to save one of your two best friends, and have to make the decision in a split second. Comic cartoon graphics, and a very well written story makes this one of the most gripping, heart-wrenching and captivating titles out there. Expand
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    Jamás vi la serie, pero el juego es uno de los mejore que he jugado. Nos mantiene prendidos a la pantalla, con un suspenso que jamas vi en otro juego. Casi perfecto.
  11. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is absolutely Awesome! I starting playing it on iPad and decide to buy it on Steam almost immediately.

Pro Very hooked The story is thrilling No bug at all FUN FUN and FUN! Con The consequences of your action are limited I'm not English native, so answering questions with limited time is a bit hard. If you're looking for Action, Shooting game, skip this game

Pro
    Very hooked
    The story is thrilling
    No bug at all
    FUN FUN and FUN!

Con
    The consequences of your action are limited
    I'm not English native, so answering questions with limited time is a bit hard.

If you're looking for Action, Shooting game, skip this game immediately.
    If you want some adventure, great story games, pick this one up. Whether you like zombie apocalypse or not, it's still worth.
  12. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game. Not only is it fun and imersive but you really get involved and get genuine feelings for the characters and events. Love it. Can't wait for season 2.
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    If it is honest, still not to be believed me that Talltale Games could make so shedevralny interactive drama as the best that is in a game store of this developer are satirical projects, and another special doesn't deserve attention.
    This game not about the zombie apocalypse, not about a survival in this world (can only partly), it about relationship between characters, about education of the little girl in the world which became even more cruel to people.
    The gameplay is a mix of interactive cinema, an arcade and a quest. Here is both QTE, and logical riddles (but, I admit, very easy, too), and branchy dialogues. But the big minus is an illusion, choice illusion, actually isn't so linear as we about it were spoken by developers and game claims, but some choice can incur itself consequences, not at once, somewhere later 2 episodes, can more. But not this main thing in game.
    Plot, here that does it unique, it (in my opinion) the best that happened to the industry for this year. When you endure so many events with these characters, you watch how they change, you start enduring with them that grief or pleasure, and the girl to become not only to the character, but also you, native.
  14. Apr 19, 2013
    Bottom Line: Play this game. Technical issues aside, it is amazing and worth your money. If you aren't sure whether or not you will like it, buy this episode first and then decide. If not, buy the whole thing. You will not regret it. (read full review at: http://sleeplesscritc.blogspot.com/2013/04/review-walking-dead-episode-one.html)
  15. Apr 14, 2013
    It can make you laugh. It can make you smile. It can make you shock. And it can make you cry.
    I agree that the options which you choose are not changing the game so much. But if you play this game without prejudgement it will be your best game you have ever played.
  16. Apr 4, 2013
    A charming story of a guy in a post-apocalypse world with a chance to redeem himself for his past. Meet characters from the comic series, interact with them, find out what happens with them before and after they met Rick's group, recruit original characters from the game, discover new locations overrun by the dead, tailor the story with every little choice you make as every single thingA charming story of a guy in a post-apocalypse world with a chance to redeem himself for his past. Meet characters from the comic series, interact with them, find out what happens with them before and after they met Rick's group, recruit original characters from the game, discover new locations overrun by the dead, tailor the story with every little choice you make as every single thing you do and say will have repercussions in the future, and take whatever choice you need to survive.

This game will make you cry. A lot. It is perfectly acted, perfectly written, perfectly designed, and you will love and hate the characters as if they were real. Because that's what this game did to me. I fell in love with it. Its characters have that special something that makes you have feelings towards them, and when something happens to them you will feel it like if they were your friends. I'm very much looking forward to the next season, even though it's said that it will be a new group of people, but if it is at least as good as this one (and maybe it will be even better) then you will see me once again pre-purchasing the f*ck out of it and waiting in line to be the first to play it.

In summary, this game is a must-have, even if you didn't read the comic books, the novels or if you don't watch the TV series. A GOTY award very well deserved.
  17. Mar 25, 2013
    Okay so let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone, like most games there are going to be people who love it or hate it and I would say this game shouldn't be downgraded too much even if it's not your type of game. i am not a fan of point and click but man this game pulled me in, it is so captivating, the story, the characters, I felt there were moments I was close too cryingOkay so let me start off by saying this game is not for everyone, like most games there are going to be people who love it or hate it and I would say this game shouldn't be downgraded too much even if it's not your type of game. i am not a fan of point and click but man this game pulled me in, it is so captivating, the story, the characters, I felt there were moments I was close too crying as this game can be quite an emotional roller coaster. Despite weather you like the TV series or not, this game is different, so I wouldn't judge based on that either. The only reason I'm not giving this a 10 is because I feel 10's are hard too give out now days. Why not try it out, give this game a go, like me, you might not regret it. Expand
  18. Jan 20, 2013
    Thw Walking Dead Episode 1: "A New Day" Review Taking a beloved show, movie, or comic book into a game can be a tricky process. Sometimes developers nail it in just about every way. However, some developers put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to others titles. Thankfully, TellTale Games has takin a beloved show and comic book and has turned it into a zombie game that is not allThw Walking Dead Episode 1: "A New Day" Review Taking a beloved show, movie, or comic book into a game can be a tricky process. Sometimes developers nail it in just about every way. However, some developers put the final nail in the coffin when it comes to others titles. Thankfully, TellTale Games has takin a beloved show and comic book and has turned it into a zombie game that is not all about shooting every undead you see.

STORY: When the game starts up, you assume the roll of Lee Everett. A convicted murderer who is on his way to jail when the apocalypse breaks out. From there, you meet a little girl name Clementine and the foal from there is to survive. Along the way you will meet a varied of interesting a compelling characters who really bring you into the world. I have never in a game felt so protective over someone as I have with Clemintine even though you just have met her. Another thing is nice is that you do not need to watch the show or have read the comic to understand what is happening. There are some characters from the show that make an apperence but nothing to the point where someone who has not watched the show will know what is going on.

PRESENTATION: With the amazing characters also comes voice acting, and it is fantastic. You can really feel the emotion in each character, like when someone saw somebody get eaten alive by a zombie or when someone has been bitten by a zombie and is begging you to kill her. Its moments like this where the voice acting really shines. Another thing that shines the graphics. The follow the design of the comic book and it looks slick. However, from time to time, there will be some frame rate drops and when the game is going to a new scene it will freeze for like a second but it is nothing to detract from the over all expierence. GAMEPLAY: The game functions as it should. You move Lee with the left analog stick and move the cursor on the screen with the right analog stick. This cursor allows Lee to do different actions like talk to people, pick up an item, or bash a zombies brains in. When you talk to people, there will be a number of different choices of dialogue you can pick and in some points you have a limited amount of time to pick the one you want. These decisions will change the games outcome and force you to make quick decisions and live with the consequences like someone trusting you and being a trusted ally. Or someone who will be a foe and in some situations end up trying to kill you. There are also some quick time events and some points where if you do not act fast you will end up killed and these make for some tense moments when you will ask yourself "will I make it?". FINAL SCORE AND THOUGHTS: "A New Day" Is a great start to what I believe will be a fantastic series of games. The first episode is only about 2-3 hours long which is perfect considering all the things that could and are possibly going to happen. Sure there are some glitches and some frame rate drops. However, that is a minor complaint on a game that must be experienced SCORE: 9/10
  19. Jan 4, 2013
    While i've been a fan of the TV show and Comics since they both began, I was hesitant to start with the game, simply because of its method of play. However, after finishing the first episode I was hooked, and can now say that it's without a doubt one of my favourite games from 2012 if not top 10 of all time. The method of distributing episodes is new and unique, however I started themWhile i've been a fan of the TV show and Comics since they both began, I was hesitant to start with the game, simply because of its method of play. However, after finishing the first episode I was hooked, and can now say that it's without a doubt one of my favourite games from 2012 if not top 10 of all time. The method of distributing episodes is new and unique, however I started them after they'd all been released, and so could play continuously. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this series, I've never truly felt as connected or attached to any characters as I did in this series. Astounding. Expand
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    One of the best crafted experiences character and story-wise I have witnessed in a long time, on any game genre. Within the boundaries of adventure games, this, as with The Longest Journey series, is a masterpiece of legendary dimensions (if not length), that will be brought into discussion as a measuring unit of how games are supposed to be delivered.
    It is so compelling and interesting
    It is so compelling and interesting that the downside of its not entirely satisfactory combat system and its frequent "click-to-not-die" moments is easily forgiven, detracting almost nothing from the overall experience.
    If on top of all you happen to like zombie-related games, the experience of living through such a gruesome and disheartening situation does not get better than this.
    All the characters are precisely that, characters, therefore every decision you make on the game pertaining these people carries the true weight of responsibility on them because of that very fact.
    The Walking Dead includes what could probably be one of THE best child protagonists of all time: Clementine, that along the likes of April and Zoë from the Longest Journey series, you unavoidably care for thus want to carry this persona across all difficulties to see them safe and victorious (even if transitorily in the case of the former one) at the far side of the story.
    With great art, beautifully realistic dialog and a spectacularly wealthy source material to round all up, this is a game you should be installing in your machine right about now.
  21. Dec 11, 2012
    Just finished playing through the 5 episodes. This game is the best thing I have played all year, I'm not kidding. The setting, the plot and the twists kept me going for hours and I just couldn't put it down. No game this year made me feel like that.

Definitely worth every penny. In fact it's worth more that its price.
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    Probably the best zombie game I have ever played. When I first looked into this game, I thought it would be some shooter resident-evil wannabe, then I found out it was a graphic adventure with lots of action on it, which is really original and cool. But what I liked the most was the story, so epic and inmersive, really at the level of the TV series and more touchy. The flawless voiceProbably the best zombie game I have ever played. When I first looked into this game, I thought it would be some shooter resident-evil wannabe, then I found out it was a graphic adventure with lots of action on it, which is really original and cool. But what I liked the most was the story, so epic and inmersive, really at the level of the TV series and more touchy. The flawless voice acting helps a lot.

The other strong point in the game is the dialogue choice options. Everything you say almost always have some kind of impact in the story, from gaining influence over some pal of your group, to trigger a whole situation that may save your life or kill you. In fact, the difficulty of the game is not killing the zombies, but preventing your group to split or fall into hysteria.

The only thing that could be better, are the puzzles. For a graphic adventure the puzzles are quite weak, but it kind of compensates with a great dose of action. All crowned with a great and moving ending.

This game is a must have so try it. You won't be dissapointed.
  23. Nov 28, 2012
    I literally just finished Ep 5 about 15 minutes ago, and all I can say is, if you're a fan of The Walking Dead in any way, shape or form, or you are a fan of great stories, then this series is for you.

I would be willing to concede that the game isn't the most impressive visually, or the most innovative, however, this series makes up for it so well in story, and character depth, that I am willing to waive it's (arguable) flaws for it's colossal strengths.

At the asking price for this game, there is really no excuse to at least check out Episode 1, which I am sure, will impress and lead you to get the remainder of the episodes and be in for a real treat.

I hope some people may find this collection of my opinions as incentive to try out this gem of a game series. It is most certain to keep you interested and attached right to the very end.
  24. Nov 25, 2012
    Telltale earned a fan with this game. It is simply amazing, one of the best game experiences Ive ever had. Metacritic is making me write more but nothing else needs to be said.
  25. Nov 25, 2012
    I usually never comment on video game, but I feel that I had to do it for this game. If u want a good adventure game with really nice anime like graphics and rock solid story, this game is for you.

Long time I didn't enjoyed a game like that. The story is as good as the TV series. Characters are credible, and the choices you make really affect the story. Beside that the game has a

Beside that the game has a good replay value, you can play it again and try different course of actions.

Don't listen to the few bad reviews, most of them rate this game badly just because they doesn't like the genre (Its not a FPS game neither a open world game).
  26. Nov 24, 2012
    Telltale does just that - they bring to life compelling characters and a rich and captivating story. It's a great experience and a lot of fun. A great game and a great series!
  27. Nov 24, 2012
    So, i watched the first season of The Walking Dead (TV Series) and was mind blown when i heard there was a video game about it, so i bought it, and oh boy, i did´nt regret it, it is very addicting, and that is always good.
  28. Nov 24, 2012
    Great game. I don't understand why this game has a score of 8.2 but I love it. Everyone should play it. Skip halo,call of duty and of the other AAA titles out there. This kind of story telling is not found any where else. For all the bugs that people say it has I have yet to encounter any of them(I play on PC) I think this game has made me have feelings for games I have not had since theGreat game. I don't understand why this game has a score of 8.2 but I love it. Everyone should play it. Skip halo,call of duty and of the other AAA titles out there. This kind of story telling is not found any where else. For all the bugs that people say it has I have yet to encounter any of them(I play on PC) I think this game has made me have feelings for games I have not had since the old days super Nintendo games. Expand
  29. Nov 22, 2012
    Game was amazing. So much fun to play and kept me wanting to come back for more in the second episode. I would highly recommend the series to anyone that is into the walking dead, likes a good story, or has nostalgia for choose your own adventures.
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    Simply Awesome, Amazing game, i always wanted to play Heavy Rain but as i am a pc gamer i never got to play it, but this one is like it, but in horror genre, i liked this game, it is worth buying

1. Jul 8, 2012
    Great both standalone and as a gateway to a larger series. Let's hope it all pans out. [July 2012, p.76]
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    A slow-burn character study, some quick thinking and a constant air of menace make for a gripping start to a new adventure. [July 2012, p.68]
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Rich atmosphere compensates for poor gameplay mechanics of The Walking Dead.