8.5

1. Jun 2, 2011
    This game is the most best game rpg that I played(but BG is classic...). She has many variation of history, her need to replay that to see new character, new location, because 2 and 3 chapter different.
  2. May 18, 2011
    this is the best game i have played ever this is how an RPG should be made this is defiantly the GOTY for me everything about this game is quality the graphics are stunning the game play is brilliant and the RPG elements are amazing.
  3. May 17, 2011
    The developers improved on the original game in every way. In stark contrast to what Dragon Age 2 was, The Witcher 2 is an example of what happens when a developer cares more about the experience of the player than lining their own pockets. No needless junk was added to garner more sales. No EA gathering your information and restricting your access to the games you purchase. DoThe developers improved on the original game in every way. In stark contrast to what Dragon Age 2 was, The Witcher 2 is an example of what happens when a developer cares more about the experience of the player than lining their own pockets. No needless junk was added to garner more sales. No EA gathering your information and restricting your access to the games you purchase. Do yourself a favor and buy this game from Gog.com. That will ensure that more money reaches the developer instead of dividing it up with middlemen like Steam or Gamestop. This title is a masterpiece and should be played by anyone who enjoys RPGs. Expand
  4. May 20, 2011
    The best game I've played since Baldur's Gate 2. Love it because its a great game, but also because it shows you can still make good games in this day and age without having to cut corners and/or appeal to the lowest common denominator. Add to that that it's also the cheapest game I've bought in years!! Everyone who likes RPG's should buy this game. CD Projekt should be very proud of this!
  5. May 22, 2011
    Some aspects are quite good, some really annoying. I enjoy the characters overall. The combat overall is fun. Alchemy and signs to a lesser extent add some interesting depth, though I find some signs are definitely more useful than others.

Here are where I find the game has it shortcomings. 1. I can't say much about the graphics, because my rig (tried on 1gb ATI and NVidia) doesn't seem enough for more than low settings without serious drag. 2. I find it really hard to use the mouse. Sometimes, despite setting mouse sensitivity to low, I find myself facing 180 degrees away from where I want to be. Ironically, I have the opposite problem on the arm wrestling game, where I can't make my mouse stay on the yellow bar. Once the other guy gets going, there is no way for me to stop the descent. It makes this minigame one of the least enjoyable I've played in my 30 years of gaming and I'll avoid it as much as possible. 3. Often my keystrokes are missed, so that I push them multiple times to get something done. This increases as the game plays, which I guess means a memory leak and repeated on and off's. 4. I actually liked the character model for Geralt better in TW1. This one doesn't quite cut it for me.
  6. May 25, 2011
    Once again amazing character/development and writing but the main story feels lacking. I would like to write a large review and say a lot about this game but I would use up all of my available characters so I'll just say it fully deserves my 9. It loses a point for a number of reasons. Combat is perfect in every way could use a little re balancing especially the spells.
  7. May 21, 2011
    This game can easily match it with the best non-linear RPGs out there. A dark atmosphere and adult storytelling set it apart from most other games of it's genre. Good and Evil are so close together when you make your decisions that there usually is no "good choice" - its mostly about choosing the "lesser evil" - and that choice is nearly 100% up to you - and yes: Choose your words poorlyThis game can easily match it with the best non-linear RPGs out there. A dark atmosphere and adult storytelling set it apart from most other games of it's genre. Good and Evil are so close together when you make your decisions that there usually is no "good choice" - its mostly about choosing the "lesser evil" - and that choice is nearly 100% up to you - and yes: Choose your words poorly and the game will instant-kill you!

With upgraded graphics it is a real beauty on a high-end PC. A tip for drastically improving performance is to turn of "Uber-Sampling" which makes the game unplayable on Single-GPU systems.

The only real problem I could find are some balancing issues that make the game's combat very hard while you are still try to learn it and gain your first levels. This is because the encounters do not scale with the players level. But it also means that game gets easier each level - which makes it almost too easy at the end (unless you skip all side-quests).

All in all the best RPG I have played since Mass Effect - even surpassing it (and I am a Sci-Fi fan). I did not encounter any game-breaking bugs/crashes but I had no sound with a 7.1 USB-headset. The game works at 5.1 and stereo though. Found no logic bugs either - sometimes a quest-NPC wasn't there but that was usually fixed by meditating 23 hours.

Any RPG-fan should own a copy of this game!
  8. May 26, 2011
    You know, this game perfectly illustrates the adage that if you give people a golden goose that lays diamond eggs, there are bound to be a few who complain that the eggs are too hard to eat. The Witcher 2 is probably the best RPG since the Baldur's Gate saga: the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is exciting, voice acting and writing are top notch, and the story line is engaging. TheYou know, this game perfectly illustrates the adage that if you give people a golden goose that lays diamond eggs, there are bound to be a few who complain that the eggs are too hard to eat. The Witcher 2 is probably the best RPG since the Baldur's Gate saga: the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is exciting, voice acting and writing are top notch, and the story line is engaging. The game is also hard. If you're used to playing those bits of entertainment flotsam puked out by Bioware, and think that you're a bad assed hero controller that can take any game on insane level, then you're going to be in for a rude awakening. Playing Witcher 2 on hard is, surprise surprise, ACTUALLY HARD. You're going to have to use everything at your disposal to win fights, and that include your ability to adroitly manipulate the keyboard/mouse/gamepad. If you can't handle that, then play the game on easy, or buy an easier game (I've heard Dragon Age 2 is just about your speed).
    For those of you up to the challenge, Witcher 2 is an immensely rewarding experience. Beating a room full of bad guys with nothing but a hand full of bombs, your wits and a bit of fancy footwork is an experience you won't soon forget. But even that experience pales in comparison to the realization that the peon that you helped way back at the beginning of the game just returned the favor by saving you a whole pail of trouble when you encounter him later.
    To be fair, there are some glitches:SLI wasn't working at release, keyboard customization require you to manually edit some game files, aspect ratios are a little off, and some minor side quests break if you don't do them exactly right. However, I'd rather have a few glitched side quests that have every dungeon look exactly the same **cough**Dragon Age 2**cough**.
    If you are a RPG fan, someone who remembers what a RPG is supposed to be like, you owe it to yourself to play this game and support this company. If you don't, then don't whine and complain when you're given drivel like Dragon Age 2 and told to like it.
  9. May 26, 2011
    Finally! An RPG that doesnâ
  10. May 17, 2011
    One of the best RPG i have ever played. Much, much better, than Dragon Age II; interesting character development, choice-based plot, superb voice overs, great graphics combined with short load times, make this game a perfect buy, if you want to taste an RPG for grown-ups.
  11. May 29, 2011
    After having just finished two different playthroughs of the Witcher 2, all I want to say is a big congratulation to CDP Red for delivering this masterpiece. RPGs have never been the same since the Witcher I but now thanks to its much more brilliant sequel, even our popular culture would never be the same again.
  12. May 25, 2011
    I can't speak for every gamer out there but the main reason I play games is to have fun, have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the experience and to enjoy those pivotal moments in between. This game delivered this and more in spades. Brilliant characters, excellent story, so many good things that I fear mentioning all of it could spoil it for those that have not played it yet.I can't speak for every gamer out there but the main reason I play games is to have fun, have some sense of accomplishment at the end of the experience and to enjoy those pivotal moments in between. This game delivered this and more in spades. Brilliant characters, excellent story, so many good things that I fear mentioning all of it could spoil it for those that have not played it yet.

The game has a few minor bugs, a few flaws with the inventory system in that you can only carry a very limited amount of items and the combat difficulty does seem to be 'challenging'. That said, if I gave the game a score lower than 10 for these minor flaws I think I'd be doing a great injustice to this work of art and to the people that created it.

If you enjoyed Witcher 1 you will enjoy this game, heck if you did not enjoy Witcher 1 you probably will still enjoy this game. This game definitely lands a spot in my personal top 5 best RPGs of all time ((In no particular order) Baldur's Gate 2, Morrowind, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, Witcher 2)
  13. May 17, 2011
    Nice graphics, nice fight system, awesome story... Code's optimalization is sux, but Im addicted to The Witcher (WICHA! xD) 2, by the way its a polish game, im the patriot and my score is 10! xD Hail to the king, baby :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) 10.0
  14. May 25, 2011
    This game could have been great. Bad controls, terrible combat and a rushed 3/4 game which is much too short. But it's great crime is to pretend to be deep. In reality, it is a shallow action game.
  15. May 19, 2011
    Witcher 2 is a game that isnâ
  16. May 18, 2011
    Looooooots o f bugs, game crashes to windows, DLC doesnt work. Wait till patch (a big one) before you buy this crappy game. Graphic's are good until game crashes, story is good, fight mechanic is totally arcade just clik fast and jump on left and right.
  17. Raf
    May 27, 2011
    Najlepsze RPG jakie w życiu graÅ
  18. May 18, 2011
    CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge,CDProjekt have made fools of Bioware with this game. This game is a good standard bearer for any company who needs an example of how to make a sequel. They have taken all that was great about the first game, carefully (and selectively) listened to the community criticisms and pretty much improved all aspects of the game in this sequel. This is the sort of RPG that I like to play, huge, varied, incredibly detailed, superb graphics, great story and brilliant voice acting. I have played the game so far for 20+ hours and still have plenty to do. It certainly doesn't have the length of something like Oblivion or Dragon Age origins, but it does make up for it with it's detail and story which make it a pleasure to play. I can only hope that they do eventually release the SDK for the PC Modding community, because quite frankly that is the only thing that stops me from giving this game a 10 rating. Expand
  19. May 26, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is how a sequel and fantasy world should look like, Just by staying 10 minutes inside the world of The Witcher you will understand that this game is bigger, prettier, full of life, and more realistic than BioWare and EA could ever hope to achieve in their future games.

It's amazing how non-linear is the story really, when I first watched the dev diaries those guys just kept describing how non-linear is the story and I thought to myself "HA! Those guys are full of **** I'll just wait and see it for myself" thus I started playing the game and after finishing the tutorial I just realized how wrong I was doubting cd projekt developers, almost everything you do inside this game changes it's direction, Some of them even drastically like changing an entire city or an whole chapther. This game is the definition of AWESOME! Stop wasting your time reading reviews and get it!
  20. May 30, 2011
    With the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can singleWith the exception of visuals and voice acting, the game as it plays is utterly awful. And that's too bad because I enjoyed the first Witcher. This is not an RPG, it is a digitized movie with abominable "QTEs" (quick time events) made for the console generation of ADD brain-dead button mashers. "Combat" is a roll-fest and consists of trapping opponents on game geometry so you can single them out (sounds more like an AI exploit than the "deep battle tactics" most reviewers would have you believe.) The configuration application doesn't recognize the number pad, and keypresses randomly don't register (i.e., block). The inventory system is the most god-awful worst I've ever seen in a game, period. An awful, awful game that had potential. How did this garbage get through QA?!? Expand
  21. May 31, 2011
    This is a fantastic game, it's not perfect the inventory system needs a lot of work but it's great. The fact that the inventory system needs more work is kinda weird since the witcher 1 originally had a lot of the same issues but they fixed that with later patches. Hopefully this game gets the same treatment but I'd of expected CDprojectRed to have made a good inventory system a sort ofThis is a fantastic game, it's not perfect the inventory system needs a lot of work but it's great. The fact that the inventory system needs more work is kinda weird since the witcher 1 originally had a lot of the same issues but they fixed that with later patches. Hopefully this game gets the same treatment but I'd of expected CDprojectRed to have made a good inventory system a sort of priority this time. But I'm willing to accept that hey maybe they are just to busy making the game awesome to focus on inventory systems as they should. Still 9.5 of 10. Expand
  22. May 20, 2011
    An absolute flawed gem of a game that no serious RPG fan or PC Gamer should miss.

Yes, there are issues with the narrative, especially towards the end, but the overall experience is one for the ages!
  23. May 17, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG of 2011 year. DA2 was terrible, ME3 can be better, but is coming in 2012. Beautiful graphics, lots of important decisions - this is how you make games. Bioware should learn from CDProjekt RED and make DA3 somewhat like The Witcher 2. But beware, the combat system is quite demanding and casuals can have some problems with it, even on easy.
  24. May 25, 2011
    Incredible game! Deep, extremely well written plot and well acted voices, great graphics...the game is almost perfect all round. I've been playing RPGs for many years now, though I never played Witcher 1. I saw ads for it, but always thought it was one of those second or third tier RPGs (deeply flawed, appealing to a very limited crowd). Now I wish I had played it. The producers ofIncredible game! Deep, extremely well written plot and well acted voices, great graphics...the game is almost perfect all round. I've been playing RPGs for many years now, though I never played Witcher 1. I saw ads for it, but always thought it was one of those second or third tier RPGs (deeply flawed, appealing to a very limited crowd). Now I wish I had played it. The producers of this game seem to get the idea that there is a market out there for very well made, deep games. If you like RPGs, and don't prefer mindless linear console type games, you will love this game. Expand
  25. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely thoroughly enjoyable game. Huge improvement over the first game. The DRM-free (GOG.com!), free DLC, absolutely brilliant game. Get it if you can.
  26. May 27, 2011
    Forget all the haters After the patch and a few tweaks this game is shinning beacon of what a fantasy Rpg should be, deep engrossing and with good combat and voice acting.Oh (David Hayter) I could swear that's you is it you good work as Geralt. Let's admit it all games have their issues but being patient sure pays off ( patch is out now) i love this game what else is there to say I willForget all the haters After the patch and a few tweaks this game is shinning beacon of what a fantasy Rpg should be, deep engrossing and with good combat and voice acting.Oh (David Hayter) I could swear that's you is it you good work as Geralt. Let's admit it all games have their issues but being patient sure pays off ( patch is out now) i love this game what else is there to say I will play over and over 'till i get everything. Expand
  27. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Been waiting a long time for this sequel and so far i am not disappointed! After the massive letdown that was Dragon Age 2, this game came along and saved the day! Awesome combat, and the mix of rpg elements is great. graphics are sick. Im not sure how much of your system it uses i have a pretty high end system so im running at ultra and it looks amazing. no load times either. I started on hard difficulty and the game gives quite a challenge which is refreshing. you actually have to use your magic, traps, and alchemy to give you the edge you need. Anyone lookin for a great rpg to kill those long months before mass effect 3 and hopefully "fingers crossed" diablo 3, get this game! Expand
  28. May 27, 2011
    The Witcher 2 manages to improve every aspect of the first game, and more. Gorgeous graphics (rivals even that of Crysis), well-written story, living & breathing game world, better character customization, more choices to make, and now with a new dynamic combat system. While playing this game, it will become very evident that the difficulty level is much harder than in most RPGs of today.The Witcher 2 manages to improve every aspect of the first game, and more. Gorgeous graphics (rivals even that of Crysis), well-written story, living & breathing game world, better character customization, more choices to make, and now with a new dynamic combat system. While playing this game, it will become very evident that the difficulty level is much harder than in most RPGs of today. I have longed for challenge for a long time in RPGs, so this is a very positive thing. The Witcher 2 feels very old school in its mechanics and difficulty, and brings the best out of it. Game world in The Witcher 2 is full of small details, showing the obvious dedication to this game from the developers' part. On top of it all, apart from perhaps the inventory UI, The Witcher 2 is very PC-friendly in all aspects. I do not hesitate to give it a 10. It's REALLY good for what it is. Expand
  29. May 17, 2011
    Absolutely awesome game. As a RPG this game rocks, the world is so big and so detailed, quests are quite complicated (not just 'go to the wood and pick some mushrooms for me).
    Sure the engine is quite demanding (I'm playing on i7 with medium details) bo the graphics is really beatiful.
    Good job cdp red, i'm waiting for more games like this. Hope that other developers will learn something from you guys!
  30. May 17, 2011
    Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Amazing story, compelling characters, incredible graphics and great battle mechanics. Congratulations CD Project RED - You've done great job making most immersing RPG ever.
  31. May 17, 2011
    Love this game. Much better than the first on so many level. Mr Stannard, say hello to your Bioware co-workers for me, next time spend more time making a good game and less time trying to bash the competition. No game is worth 0/10, not even shovelware. Like DA2.
  32. May 17, 2011
    Never have I played an RPG that combines everything well together. From the little details like UI presentation all the way to the magnificent setpieces like the environments of Witcher 2, you will not walk away disappointed. The graphics are simply gorgeous. CDPR should be congratulated for the Red Engine. Not only is it well optimized, but if you have the hardware to max it, it is aNever have I played an RPG that combines everything well together. From the little details like UI presentation all the way to the magnificent setpieces like the environments of Witcher 2, you will not walk away disappointed. The graphics are simply gorgeous. CDPR should be congratulated for the Red Engine. Not only is it well optimized, but if you have the hardware to max it, it is a sight to behold. The gameplay is just perfect. The click heavy combat from the first has been replaced by a more responsive and accurate type of gameplay. It is like playing Demon's Souls, only more fluid. You control where you hit, and you will do it will style with all the bombs, traps, skills etc. The story is unbelievable! Don't wanna spoil anything but, after you play this game, you cannot wait to replay the game in another way. Expand
  33. May 17, 2011
    ok first what i have to say- DO NOT read M_Stannard's review. and others negative reviews. they are bioware workers. they scared, because the Witcher 2 have very good reviews. and what about Dragon Age 2? well... you see.
    ok now about The Witcher 2- The best sequel ever. I'm mad fan of The Witcher (in original- The Witcher is fantasy book. and game is based on that story) I can feel this wonderful climate... this wonderful music. this wonderful storyline. I can't stop play it! The most non-linear game.
  34. May 17, 2011
    RPG of the year Bioware should take a long hard look at this game. This is a REAL rpg not a watered down action adventure with rpg "lite" features tacked on.
  35. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpgs this ever. Great graphics, non linear story and challenging combat. Characters are deep and interesting. The Witcher 1 was great, but TW2 seems to be even better. GOTY 2011
  36. May 17, 2011
    I am absolutely sickened by all the 0 scores. Utterly ridiculous. Even if you disliked this game and thought it had faults, you cannot score it a 0 and be taken seriously. Had you scored it 5 or 6 and then posted legitimate complaints..then yes. Otherwise, you are a fanboy of Bioware or something and wish to try to damage this game. You won't succeed. This game is incredible.I am absolutely sickened by all the 0 scores. Utterly ridiculous. Even if you disliked this game and thought it had faults, you cannot score it a 0 and be taken seriously. Had you scored it 5 or 6 and then posted legitimate complaints..then yes. Otherwise, you are a fanboy of Bioware or something and wish to try to damage this game. You won't succeed. This game is incredible. Incredible gameplay, graphics, story (so far), combat..everything. Much improved over TW1 and is the king of the hill right now, easily. Expand
  37. May 17, 2011
    Excellent game, certainly GOTY so far from me and I'm only a few hours in.

The graphics are a huge improvement over the original and it isn't as big of a drag in the beginning which is a huge plus.
  38. May 17, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that I literally just signed up to Metacritic, not to write this review but to LMAO at the guy who posted a review as Bioware_Intern. I never laughed out loud actually reading a review before, my hat goes off to the man for writing such a satirical work. But on to the actual review...I'll keep it short since what I have to say has probably been mentioned a dozenLet me start off by saying that I literally just signed up to Metacritic, not to write this review but to LMAO at the guy who posted a review as Bioware_Intern. I never laughed out loud actually reading a review before, my hat goes off to the man for writing such a satirical work. But on to the actual review...I'll keep it short since what I have to say has probably been mentioned a dozen times by now. The game is phenomenal if you have an education above elementary literature and mathematics. If you fail to meet those minimum requirements then just stick to the annual CoD game, because that is the game for you. Expand
  39. May 17, 2011
    Really, i wasn't expecting to write a review of this game, but all this Bioware stuff with the 0 marks it's too much. You should be ashamed of what are doing here, trying to destroy this game, which has been made with a lot of effort by people who i'm sure love bioware game as we all did. Bioware, remember why you began working on videogames, and show some respect to these people, that'sReally, i wasn't expecting to write a review of this game, but all this Bioware stuff with the 0 marks it's too much. You should be ashamed of what are doing here, trying to destroy this game, which has been made with a lot of effort by people who i'm sure love bioware game as we all did. Bioware, remember why you began working on videogames, and show some respect to these people, that's the least you can do. By the way to the stupid from above, ¿what's your problem, you think we europeans don't kow a **** about games? Well i'm european and i know DA2 was one of the worst **** i've ever played, as DA origins was one of the best games i've ever played in my life. So please show some common sense and respect please. Expand
  40. May 17, 2011
    Amazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deservesAmazing game.From the graphics to the combat their have been innumerable improvements from the first. Customization of the character may pass on changing race sex and face but it has a deep and well structured skills/abilities and mutagen system that provides real choice and differences in game play. The icing on the cake is the story and especially characters. CDproject RED deserves many awards for this game. The graphical settings allow for use on a wide range of systems. While the norm seems to be max everything and complain the options given here allow even slower systems to run the game and look very good in my opinion, while higher settings allow for some of the best visuals Ive have seen. It has taken a long time for crysis to be matched this games to me at least does just that is not surpassing it.

Bugs at launch yes a few but all fixable (for me anyway),There are a few quest bugs but nothing major. There were some graphical bugs related to both nvidia and ati rather than the game, Nvidia had new drivers out on launch day and ati hot fix regularly.

A great experience
  41. May 17, 2011
    bioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but theybioware fanboys made me register at metacritic and write this review. first of all if you havent bought this game yet then you are depriving yourself of not just one of the greatest rpg but one of the greatest game of the decade Every single thing that you want to know is evident in every single positive user review. even though i have only completed almost 10 hours of the game, but they say that the First impression is the last impression. its an amazing game a must buy! Expand
  42. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an amazing game in all aspects. Beautiful graphics and landmarks.......enjoyable quests, no load screens and above all they've improved the combat system that some people were complaining about in the first game(although i liked the combat system).
  43. May 17, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs in years, and puts a certain well-known company to shame. CD Projekt created a hit with The Witcher 1, but they've created a masterpiece with The Witcher 2.

Pros: Great voice acting Great script Choices you make are not always black and white, and can come back to bite you in the ass later Combat and inventory management are much improved over the original

Pros:
    Great voice acting
    Great script
    Combat and inventory management are much improved over the original
    Creative quests
    Incredible music
    Outstanding graphics, this is the Crysis of RPGs.

Cons-
    Occasional glitchy animations and pathfinding
  44. May 18, 2011
    The best cRPG game I have ever played. beautiful graphics, epic history, very good sound and perfect game play. I hope, this is the game of 2011. Noting more to say.
  45. May 17, 2011
    Let's be honest. Are you looking for one of the best true cRPGs in history? You want absorbing fights with high level of difficulty? Then don't look anymore because The Witcher 2 is here. There's no way you're gonna find anything as good as this at this moment. Forget about useless c**ps from bioware- they already proved with DE2 that they have already forgotten what a true cRPG is.
  46. May 18, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is a masterpiece. Superb graphics and audio, non-linear story, mature choices and consequences. Witcher 2 is a game for hardcore RPG fans, but in the same time it's accessible so that anyone can play it. If you are a gamer, buy this game.

Angry Bioware fans, you don't realize that you are damaging your favorite company by boycotting Witcher 2 score like this. Many people will do the same for your favorite games, if you don't stop your rampage. In the end, all games will have lower scores.
  47. rq3
    May 18, 2011
    Mature story, dark world, not so shallow as BioWare production. Based on great novelty. It's real RPG! It's everything that BioWare's game failed to be.
    Great graphic
    Great story
    Great system
    Great music
    So many diffrent endings...
    Who needs more?
  48. May 23, 2011
    This is the best RPG I have played in the longest time. It's deep, beautiful, engrossing, and has very fun and dynamic combat. BUY THIS GAME. right now.
  49. May 18, 2011
    One of the best game I've ever played! Story is great and adult! Graphic is gorgeous! I've found only little glitches in controls - I'm using xbox controller and sometimes I have problem with choosing right spell or target loot/doors/chest ect. I guess it will be fixed shortly.
  50. May 18, 2011
    Excellent game, about time we had a good RPG this year so 8 of 10 from me. BUT for all those scoring 0 I'll just have to add +2 to balance things out.
  51. May 18, 2011
    If I could give this game an 11 I would in a heartbeat. The Witcher 2 is what happens you some of the most quality game developers actually care about their customers, and release a game that reflects that in every way.
  52. May 18, 2011
    I had to register and post my opinions on this game to counterbalance some of this dragon age/witcher stuff even though i am only 4-5 hours in. It is a real treat to play a game this loved by the developers, you can tell in every detail that it was given real thought and attention. The menus (confusing as they are) show this love and attention to detail just as much as the combat engineI had to register and post my opinions on this game to counterbalance some of this dragon age/witcher stuff even though i am only 4-5 hours in. It is a real treat to play a game this loved by the developers, you can tell in every detail that it was given real thought and attention. The menus (confusing as they are) show this love and attention to detail just as much as the combat engine and the astoundingly beautiful areas (the forest especially takes my breath away).

Combat: Hard but fair. This is not a game where you can play a tank or a spell caster or a rogue you have to play as a witcher and as such fight like one, using cunning, traps, magic and potions just as much as your sword. If you can't do that this game isn't for you. Often even during the start i found myself dying during fights only to go back and try a new strategy, its very rewarding to finally have a game that challenges you. This really is the polar opposite of other fantasy games like fable.

Story/Voice acting. This aspect is significantly improved over its predecessor, the voice acting especially being some of the best in recent years, although there is the odd poorly done character but typically reserved for minor characters. Only 5 hours in and the story is good, once again its a chase after someone who has wronged you but seems well paced, i especially like the motion comic flashbacks.

Dragon age: Is it better? That depends, i played both for me DA2 is a solid 7.5 as it had no real story no motive that failed to drive me. All i ask is that you look at the 0 reviews of the witcher 2 (and probably some of the 10's) with a little scepticism a quick glance shows a lot of these have given DA2 a 10 W2 a 0. If the witcher 2 continues to hold my attention for its duration then it will be one hell of a game.
  53. May 18, 2011
    One of the best cRPG I have ever played. Stunning visuals, immersing world, great music and voice acting. Ther are some minor flaws to, but Red's showed us that they support they products like no other studio. Its 9/10 in my opinion, but someone need to balance DAII fanboys.
  54. May 18, 2011
    Well I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be doneWell I'm just so stunned by the game, that I had to sign up and share. I believe it to be the first game since Baldurs Gate II that I just unconditionally love. I played the original Witcher and as a devoted Sapkowski's fun I liked it a lot, but was aware of and annoyed by its faults. With this game it's different. I know there are some (very few and minor) aspect that could be done better, but I just don't give a damn about them. This game is like a dog. A very nice dog that all the neighbors envy you. A pet, that will always have a special place in your heart even when it's long gone. As I said, for a decade I haven't felt like this about a game. I don't mind the lack of character customization, it never bothered me in RPGs. Back in the day of Baldur's Gate it was easy to do, no one required a game to have all the dialogs voice-acted. Now in games like the first DOA or KOTOR, it just pissed me of that almost all characters had voice and the one I'm supposed to feel the most bonded with is a fricking mute. I don't mind the difficult combat. It brings back memories of the great games of old, when you would load a save for a hundred times, mad with frustration, just to die again in what seemed to be an impossible challenge But in the end, you would win and feel pure pride and satisfaction.

I love the story, the looks and all the small and big improvements made by the Reds. I feel like if all the errors of the original Witcher had to be made to allow the second one to be the game it is. I love the developers approach, so uncommon these days, to just ignore all the weekend gamers and just focus on us, dedicated gamers, who see games as something more than just a way to kill time or release some steam after a tough day.

This game makes me proud to be Polish and right now I just don't care about all the things that Poland can't be proud about. You guys make us shine. I hope you continue creating games like this and remain a beacon for all gamers tired of developers treating games like a solely commercial product.
  55. May 18, 2011
    the world is visually pleasing: i'd give it a 10/10
    character animation is well done: 8/10
    tech stability: 7/10 - why: over all, things have been ok. there are a couple places where the game has just hung during cut scenes. the story is compelling and engaging: 8/10 the npcs seem quite believable: 8/10 player interface: 3/10 - why: it's unwieldy. you cannot set keyboard controls
    the world is visually pleasing: i'd give it a 10/10
    character animation is well done: 8/10
    tech stability: 7/10
    the story is compelling and engaging: 8/10
    the npcs seem quite believable: 8/10
    player interface: 3/10
    - why: it's unwieldy. you cannot set keyboard controls from within the game. many keys cannot be bound at all (e.g. arrow keys, +, -, and NO KEYPAD keys at all, etc.). i'm sorry but that's basic UI design failure on a level that truly undermines the thoughtfulness and attention to detail present elsewhere in the game. cut scenes can't be skipped, so if you die during a mission, you have to relive them... over and over.
    combat system: 7/10
    - why: it feels clunky and lacks intuitive flow, though it gets cudos for being fast paced and bloody.
    controls: 3/10
    - why: in short, it's clumsy. turning, climbing, interacting with the world... it all feels inconsistent and plays unlike anything i've experienced before. granted, historically i've been a pretty big game snob and generally only play titles that win tons of awards, but i thought with all the buzz around this game the risk of disappointment was minimal. i feel like i should be using a console control, not a keyboard. and no, i'm not bashing consoles so let's not start that. but when it comes to precision, you just can't beat a mouse and keyboard -- assuming the game was properly made. supposedly the open game world allows you to do all sorts of different things, like climb structures and whatnot. and you can, as long as devs made that object "climbable". which is the problem: there's little consistency and no way to know if you can interact with an object unless you stand in a pretty specific spot. so even if you walk past something that you could climb, unless you're standing on a just the right set of pixels, you won't know it. there's no glow, no altered shading... nothing. just a little icon that may or may not appear if you stand in exactly the right spot. it's like the devs created a beautiful game with a great story but had absolutely no concern for playability. overall playability: 6/10
    - why: it doesn't matter how good the story and graphics are, if the gameplay is too frustrating the player's experience will be diminished. for this reason i rate the game at a 6/10. which is typically below the threshold of what i am willing to buy and play. and i'm just not having that much fun with this game. at least, not yet. i will keep playing a few more days. if my opinion changes, i will update my review. but for right now, i wish i'd spent my $45 on something else.
  56. May 18, 2011
    I haven't been impressed by a game in years and I'm not a huge RPG fan, hating Mass Effect and Dragon Age, but this game is just perfect. It looks graphically amazing, maybe even better than Crysis, a big improvement over Witcher 1.
  57. May 18, 2011
    After installing the game I found that, like most people, the game did not run so well. I did some digging on the internet and found that a few people had solved their FPS issues by updating their Nvidia GFX drivers to beta versions of future drivers. This, ultimately solved my main FPS issue, after some settings tweaking I have the game running at a fairly nice FPS. This and one or twoAfter installing the game I found that, like most people, the game did not run so well. I did some digging on the internet and found that a few people had solved their FPS issues by updating their Nvidia GFX drivers to beta versions of future drivers. This, ultimately solved my main FPS issue, after some settings tweaking I have the game running at a fairly nice FPS. This and one or two crashes here or there are the sole reason I am giving this game a 9/10. If it were not for the initial issues I and other people experienced I'd have given it a 10/10.

Aside everything else, this game is absolutely fantastic. A wonderful addition to the Witcher series and a brilliant continuation of the story (from what I have played so far). The game looks sublime and the writing, scripting and vocal work is great. The combat is in my opinion a better than that of it's predecessor, allowing for more fluid and action packed fights, with the ability to mix things up if you need too, which you will because this game will eat you alive, so you will need to think tactically about your fights and prepare accordingly. If you rush head on into things without thinking or preparing, you WILL die. This makes the game actually challenging, which is unlike games these days. I'm currently playing through on normal difficulty and I'm not ashamed to say I'm having my ass kicked, and I'm a Witcher veteran. This game does not hold your hand and spoon feed you.

If this game doesn't make GOTY then there is something direly wrong with people. I sincerely hope this game is also nominated for lots of awards, because it deserves it. Developers putting time and effort into making their games great is another thing you don't see a lot of these days.

I tip my hat to you, CDprojekt.
  58. May 18, 2011
    Visually stunning game even on low settings. I have only played past the prologue but already i can see how much choices you have, and how they have a difinite impact on the game. A seemingly insignificant choice early creates a cut scene and an opportunity later - one that you wouldn't expect. You can miss entire areas and not really know - it pays to explore!

One of the first rpgs

One of the first rpgs that i've really listened to all the conversations, made me laugh out loud. So far so good - high quality game. the combat is difficult, but satisfiying once you work out to use signs and potions effectively. With a bit of work you won't be touched in combat.
  59. May 19, 2011
    The Good:

The Good:

The world is truly fascinating, the dialogues and the decisions you can make are very well implemented. The visuals, the music and the sounds give the game a really unique atmosphere, which is incomparable to any other games out there. Apparently, the story (along with the deep characters) is one of the strongest part of the game, it's quite interesting so far, something that makes me not to stop playing. And finally, the side quest are also varied. Most of them tell their own little stories, while others are the well-known monster killing ones. The inventory is definitely better than it was in the first game, it's more user friendly now. (e.g. easy to compare swords, armors [luckily, there are more of these objects now, btw]) The "Could-Be-Better":

I wouldn't say that the combat system is horrible, but it has its issues. It's more like an action game, but - fortunately - still tactical and often challenging (however, sometimes frustrating). The AI is rather stupid at times. The foes either stand idly in front of you waiting for smashing their heads off or simply forget you if you move away a bit. The controls are reasonable although blocking doesn't always want to work properly for some reason. Besides the combat system, there are several annoyances such as: - looting (can't pick up enemies' swords / unnecessary use of the medallion) - drinking during meditation only - no move while blocking - camera issues (difficult to loot / speak) - doors, climbing...(rather awkward and immature) - weak stealth elements - dice poker (I loved it in the first game so much, now I almost hate it. I think there were no need for throwing the dice manually. I barely like anything about it - physics, sounds, design of the board.)

Well, these were my thoughts of 'The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings'. The negative side may seem huge, but these cannot destroy the overall splendid game experience. Fret not, it's a game that should be an example for many other developers. And if the problems will be fixed in time, it can be an easy 10/10.

My opinion can change later, since I only played the Prologue and Act I. [Thank You if you read it through!]
  60. May 19, 2011
    Great game. I think it is the best RPG in 2011. interesting story, great adventure, good dialogues and amazing graphics, very good music and sounds. World in game is deep, dark and brutal.To be honest - game has a few, small defects but it does not affect in pleasure from game. I recommend the witcher 2 all fans of RPG in particular fans of first part of the Witcher.
  61. May 19, 2011
    Right now I am at the end of act 2 and I have to say that this is one of the best rpg's I've played since Gothic 2. Graphics are stunning [although you need a solid pc to run it smoothly] combat is similar to dark souls and on higher diffilcutly levels it forces strategic approach which is a very positive thing, because you won't be able to do a lot with simple button-mashing. EnglishRight now I am at the end of act 2 and I have to say that this is one of the best rpg's I've played since Gothic 2. Graphics are stunning [although you need a solid pc to run it smoothly] combat is similar to dark souls and on higher diffilcutly levels it forces strategic approach which is a very positive thing, because you won't be able to do a lot with simple button-mashing. English voice acting is top notch and even though the mood of the game is very grim, there is also a lot of humour floating around [especially dialogues]. The whole world of the witcher is living, npc's do their usual jobs through the day and there is no good or bad side. Anyone can stab you in the back even though at first they look friendly. Musical side of the game is similar to that in the first witcher so everone who felt in love with 'the river of live" or "lakeside music" should be satisfied. I could write a lot more about why this game is a perfect goty candidate but Im about to start act 3. And by the way, 0 scores are comming mostly from frustated bioware employees so just ignore them. Expand
  62. May 19, 2011
    This game has so much going for it it become hard to fail. On an aesthetic level, CD Project RED has built a completely new engine, one which renders the game absolutely beautifully. A note here-if you can't run the game on high, try turning the settings to low, go to advanced options, put the textures at at least medium, put texture compression at none, and when you go back to the game itThis game has so much going for it it become hard to fail. On an aesthetic level, CD Project RED has built a completely new engine, one which renders the game absolutely beautifully. A note here-if you can't run the game on high, try turning the settings to low, go to advanced options, put the textures at at least medium, put texture compression at none, and when you go back to the game it looks nearly as good as on high, but runs much better. On a combat level, the Witcher 2 has gone away with the timed combos, relying now on a basic buttonmash. At first I was a bit disappointed by this, as I thought the timed combos where kind of cool. However, what CDPR does to counter the fact that it has a simplistic combat system is that it makes the fights absolutely brutal. Any slip up during combat, even on normal, can have you at the loading screen in seconds. The use of the combat wheel is also an extremely nice addition, as using powers, traps, and bombs is necessary to win in this game. The final thing which the Witcher really has going for it is the story. The story in this game is absolutely incredible. The thing is that there is no black-and-white good or bad, with nothing in between. Everything is a shade of grey. Sure, a village is being attacked by a group of elves. But the elves had been persecuted for centuries before they started fighting back. So through the absolutely stunning graphics, brutal combat, and epic story, I really don't see how this game could be anything less than a perfect 10/10. Expand
  63. May 19, 2011
    This is what an RPG should be. Enjoying this game very much. Actually having to use your brain is a welcome change and destroying a group of monsters through the use of traps, bombs and potions is rewarding. Excellent graphics and I've had no technical issues thus far.
  64. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely stunning game, offering a compelling and mature world filled with equally compelling characters. Visually breathtaking, deeply engrossing, and utterly enjoyable, The Witcher 2 may very well be one of the greatest RPGs of all time
  65. May 19, 2011
    Unequivocally the prettiest game I've ever played. The attention to detail is amazing. I didn't absolutely love the prologue, but everything is great from there. This can be a difficult game and the pacing is very old school RPG, so make sure to take your time and expect to die from time to time (unless you play on easy). Best RPG to come out in years.
  66. May 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest I didn't expect anything great from The Witcher 2. I just wanted to play a Gothic-like game. But after spending a hour playing I was amazed. Great visuals (even on minimal settings), awesome plot, choices that greatly matter. The only thing that is a bit flawed is the combat system, but after spending some time mastering it you're gonna love it. Anyway I recommend The Witcher 2 to anyone who likes games like Risten or Gothic. It has all their advantages and adds a lot on its own. I give it a 10.0 Expand
  67. May 20, 2011
    Combat. Those who complain about the combat. Well... It is different, difficult because Geralt is different . You understand - He is a witcher! You need to learn how to play.

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking! The combat makes more sense where you can make use of your parrying and dodge functions. The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his

Fighting that is not automated. You must thinking!
    The controls are responsive, and the player needs to use all his abilities to survive,thats true, this is not a hack-and-slash, thank goodness.
    If You like it - The Witcher is for You!

Bugs. Oh, of course there are, but will be patches i free DLC. Not worth complaining about!

Beautiful graphics, story, and the rest... it;s amazing game.
    Thie game is extremely emotional and exciting. Like a film.
    I am pleased that as a child.A unique atmosphere, a real, realistic, logical.Marvel

Only one true drawback - too short :) for me.

But I'll play it again and again and again ... :) Oh yes!
    And...I have a feeling.... to be continued. Ther Witcher 3? :)

Sorry for my lame english. I am from Lithuania. Thank,s CD RED.
  68. May 23, 2011
    This game is NOT made for one-time play only. Depends on your choices you get COMPLETELY different quests and even locations. So don't tell me it's short! Play it once again and you will be amazed how big are the sequencer of your decisions.. I played it on hard and find combat extremely satisfying and challenging. There are 16 different endings. Unfortunately the number of it doesn't goThis game is NOT made for one-time play only. Depends on your choices you get COMPLETELY different quests and even locations. So don't tell me it's short! Play it once again and you will be amazed how big are the sequencer of your decisions.. I played it on hard and find combat extremely satisfying and challenging. There are 16 different endings. Unfortunately the number of it doesn't go with quality. Still it's the best RPG ever made! Expand
  69. May 20, 2011
    Pros: Visually stunning(even on low settings). Much better written than the first game(or possibly better translated?) Your choices mold the story. Combat is proactive, you can switch targets very quickly and Geralt is designed to cover ground just as quick. You can play a swordsman, a alchemist, or a spellcaster, even though Geralt is mainly a swordsman you can get through just aboutPros: Visually stunning(even on low settings). Much better written than the first game(or possibly better translated?) Your choices mold the story. Combat is proactive, you can switch targets very quickly and Geralt is designed to cover ground just as quick. You can play a swordsman, a alchemist, or a spellcaster, even though Geralt is mainly a swordsman you can get through just about any encounter if you decide to focus on just one skill tree. You'll care for your friends, they're well written and voiced. Cons: Recipe ingredients slowly crawl up, making crafting a little tedious. Enemy AI a little clunky. Opening doors and using environment ledges and ladders, also clunky. Some bugs involving inventory and traps/bombs. Game is a brutal teacher, you'll get your ass handed to you while learning the game(read manual). Insane difficulty permanent death, they could have had Insane difficulty and then Hardcore difficulty.

If you ask anyone who's played The Witcher 1 if they expected this from The Witcher 2, I can guarantee you that most of us are surprised with how much better this game is than we expected and that CDProjectRED didn't drop the ball, but they outdone themselves with this one.

Let's hope The Witcher becomes a franchise!
  70. May 20, 2011
    This game exceeds every expectation you may think of, amazing story, amazing characters and the game is just plain good. The gameplay is awesome and the choices you can make are, well just great for every personality out there!

I recommend this game a 100% as it is one of the best RPGs I've played. So why are you missing an amazing game?
  71. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Witcher 2 is my first CDproject game iv played, Iam ashamed to say but what a pleasant surpise. The game begins with Gerlat in a cell and shows as to how he went from king Foltest personal protector to his accused murderer after you escape the prison by means of stealth, shear force or to a lesser extent diplomacy you begin the adeventure of clearing your name. With out revealing much more the story is well paced and should keep most fantasy fans hooked till the end. The game is vast as to what you can do with a robust crafting system letting you make anything from swords to armour to buffs/potions as you'll need them to increase your chances of survival as the games combat can be brutal. The combat is comprised of light and heavy attacks, parrying, dodging and magic and you will need them all if you want to be a good Wither if you have played Demons Souls then you should get a good idea as to how the combat plays just speed it up a notch. The dialouge options are well rounded to suit the charater theres a bit of freedom as to what kind of things you say from intimidating to sarcastic, It tops most RPGs and is one of the best this genertation with its harsh apporach to combat and lack of nursing its a raw RPG that all can enjoy if you give your self time to adjust how unforgiving it can be. Expand
  72. May 21, 2011
    Sure there are few UI niggles. And combat is pretty hard in the beginning. But I am judging games by quality of experience they provide. And this game? Best RPG experience since Vampire Bloodlines released in 2004. You owe it to yourself to buy this game and play it. If you do not have sufficient PC, buy it. Everything about this game, from world building, story, atmosphere, combat..is topSure there are few UI niggles. And combat is pretty hard in the beginning. But I am judging games by quality of experience they provide. And this game? Best RPG experience since Vampire Bloodlines released in 2004. You owe it to yourself to buy this game and play it. If you do not have sufficient PC, buy it. Everything about this game, from world building, story, atmosphere, combat..is top notch. Graphics is the best I have ever seen - CD Projekt truly have talented artists and programmers.
    You cannot call yourself a gamer if you do not play this game.
  73. May 21, 2011
    A very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down healthA very good RPG with an excellent story, I found myself as drawn in as with the first Witcher game. The combat is a little difficult to get used too at first but this is the only initial hurdle, unlike most RPG's out there this is actually challenging and you feel as if you accomplished something after a difficult fight because it takes skill to win. (your not just guzzling down health potions like 'some' unimaginative rpg's) It is at times dark and gritty, and I love it that way. You feel a part of the story. Expand
  74. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The witcher 2 is great, the graphics are the best that I have ever seen in an rpg, the story is great and most of the characters have a personality. Without a doubt this game is light years ahead of that gimmick of an rpg called dragon age 2.
    But the game isn't without its flaws like most of the people seem to describe it here. The ui is very clunky for a keyboard + mouse user, we cannot rebind many of the functions like a way to switch signs fast without using the quick menu, instead we are either forced to use the slow "quick" menu or use the next sign function. (which is far from efficient when we have to hit it 4 times to get to the sign we want and horror if we hit it 5x by mistake we have to do it all again). We can also bind some direct cast key for the signs but that isn't efficient either.
    Another flaw is the inventory system without any way to store our items like in the witcher 1 where we could store our items at the inn.
    My biggest problem is with the game length though. The game is about half the length of the witcher 1 and I have personally finished the game doing all the possible sidequest with the plot I had chosen in about 25 hours. This is a huge letdown when we see how great the chapter 1 and 2 are and when we expect the game to get even better on chapter 3, we just meet an abrupt and rushed ending there. I feel that there should have been at least 2 more chapters with as much content as in chapter 1 and 2.
  75. May 21, 2011
    One of the greatest RPGs of this year so far, Great storyline and good use of decisions to affect the outcome of certain effects, Excellent beautiful graphics and memorable characters, Good side quests keeps things interesting and a good selection of weapons and armor.
  76. May 21, 2011
    I beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't goI beat the game and i have to say that this game WAS amazing, up until part 3. RED did well on making the game, but 16 endings is a little too much i think. If any one of you think that after u finish exploring the city you go to after chapter 1 (Futsome or something like that, i forgot) that is the only unique city you going to go to in your playthrough. Right after that, you don't go to any other city, instead, u go to the Gathering and end the story. There is no sense of epicness at all, where something big happens, you pretty much go straight to chapter 3, the shortest chapter, around 2 hours long. It seem like they focus their energy on Chapter 1, then they make 16 otehr places you can go to in chapter 2. At first i think u will play all the places and finally go to chapter 3, nope, you only get to do one land per playthrough. it is pretty, pretty sad. Right now this game will be among the greats, but after a week or two, when people start beating the game, you will start seeing it fall down and down, probably to among the 7-8s. Expand
  77. May 22, 2011
    Just completed the game and The Assassin of Kings has pretty much blown me away.

It looks like CD Projekt took the complaints about the first Witchers pace in the opening chapters to heart. From stomping around the outskirts of Vizima and running errands for the locals to taking part in the end-game of a siege and invading a castle as part of Foltest's army. Even the prologue is simply epic. There's definitely a flair for the cinematic in this game that was missing from the first, the animators and character designers really did a great job.

The combat system is easily one of the best yet out of any action rpg's I've played over the years. Aesthetically speaking this game is such a monstrous leap in quality over the first it's damned near absurd. The character models, the environments, the effects, the texture work, it's all so damned pretty. CD Projekt worked their asses off on this game and it shows. This game looks like it's something special. I wish every game had this much of detail.

It's running great even on lower end machines. There seems to be a bug with some drivers though, so if you are a nvdia user install the latest beta drivers WITHOUT the 3D drivers. Also don't activate ubersampling. It will bring even the beefiest system to it's knees.
  78. rov
    May 22, 2011
    Thank you CD Project RED for making an RPG just the way I like it: immersive, beautiful, and challenging. It is clearly the product of people with love for the genre. For any RPG fan out there: don't just sit there. Buy it. Now.
  79. May 22, 2011
    this game, is an amazing labor of love and I have not have that rpg-ish feeling since Ultima days(yes I played all recent rpgs). Back when Origin was the king of 'creating worlds', was superseded by Bioware, and now simply pwned by CDP. I hope CPD seeings that their efforts have paid off and continue making games of this caliber, the fans are all behind you!

as for Dragon Age 2, well

as for Dragon Age 2, well thats passe, you could read that lengthy interview by devs supporting DA2 decision again and its just all lies....they just lazy, ie fans will not buy DA3 on blind faith. However more interestingly is how Skyrim will turn out. Skyrim train is already in motion, so the milliion dollar question is did Skyrim dev pull a 'lets just better DA2 by abit, stupid fans will still buy it' or 'LETS MAKE A REAL RPG!'.

good times indeed for RPG fans.
  80. May 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started to play RPG games as a child and I have experienced a lot. I can say that The Witcher 2 is my favourite RPG game of ALL TIME. Graphics, story-line, battle system, characters, music - everything is perfect. I hadn't had so much fun playing for a long time... After I have finished the game, I've started the game again, now on hard difficulty. TW2 ROCKS!! Expand
  81. May 22, 2011
    This game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't getThis game went from my favourite to my least favourite game. I played through it thinking there would be a massive battle near the end, but instead you get the 'to be continued' feeling you get from crap tv shows. The only difference, is that with a game you have to wait years rather than days for the continuation. (My review gets better) This was a amazingly good game, don't get me wrong (that's why i still gave it a 9/10): The graphics were rich and colourful, the characters were well developed and intriguing, the voice acting was above decent, the combat system was fun but sometimes a bit glitchy, the storyline was a bit hard to follow, but in no doubt very advanced and deep. I found the tutorials to move a bit quickly, so i had to google how to use mutagens, potions, etc. During dialogue, i found that characters would use the same hand motions each time you would talk to them. Over all, this game is godly, and you should buy it whenever you get the chance (or wait till the third comes out, then play them all in sequence). I do feel like the last several days of mine were wasted however, trying to achieve a goal that didn't even exist. I give 9/10 for the most addictive game of all time, with market-leading graphics that are very memorable. Expand
  82. May 22, 2011
    Quite simply the best, most mature and addictive RPG to date. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the overly difficult and action-oriented tutorial (I was seriously tempted to quit, thinking it was not for me - and am I ever glad I didn't), as soon as the game really starts the Witcher 2 shows what it's made of. Breathtaking graphics and beautiful level design meet an intriguing andQuite simply the best, most mature and addictive RPG to date. Don't let yourself be discouraged by the overly difficult and action-oriented tutorial (I was seriously tempted to quit, thinking it was not for me - and am I ever glad I didn't), as soon as the game really starts the Witcher 2 shows what it's made of. Breathtaking graphics and beautiful level design meet an intriguing and complex story with lots of tough choices and unexpected twists as well as a addictive game mechanics. If you can play only one RPG this year (or - I think it's safe to say - the next) make it The Witcher 2. Expand
  83. May 22, 2011
    A few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect aA few nitpicks aside this is easily one of the best games let alone rpg's of this gaming generation. Great graphics and presentation(make sure you bring a monster rig if you plan to "MAX" it). Good controls and combat mechanics allowing you play with multiple styles and use several types of weapons tho be warned the game doesnt do a great job in teaching these to the player so expect a trial by fire beginning. Great characters with good writing, voice acting and some of the best choice/consequence gameplay in the industry. Refreshingly mature tone that treats the gamer like an adult and doesnt constantly hold your hand. A good 25-35hour singleplayer with nice replay value. The only reason i didnt give it a 10 is because of the last 1/5 of the game in which it feels a bit rushed. Its not horrible, but it should have been fleshed out much better. Expand
  84. May 23, 2011
    It's a good game, much better than Dragon Crap 2. The Combat has a learning curve and go's from hard to too easy later in the game. The graphics and aesthetics are great. The story is great, and the combat can be great. It's nice to play a game where you are not in the same town the entire game with recycled stages and horrible graphics.
  85. May 24, 2011
    Quality game. Has it flaws, but idea and story is refreshing. The wither's 1 plot was a bit unconvincing, there were good dialogues, and characters but in sequel they developers made huge step towards greatness. For me the best of fantasy RPG since Planescape: Torment.

I give it 9, (although it deserves 9.5)
  86. May 24, 2011
    I can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will exposeI can't say yet whether it's GOTY material but it is certainly one of the best games I've played this year. The graphics are beautiful and the characters were engaging. The combat is a bit challenging and the prologue can get a bit overwhelming for players not used to the Witcher world. The best part about the game is the re-playability factor because different choices you make will expose you to a different environment altogether. I'm already about to start with my second play-through. The DRM-free and free DLCs of the game is also a big plus in my book! :) Expand
  87. May 25, 2011
    One of the best Games EVER.
    If your a fan of a good RPG this game is worth a 10/10 - for amazing storyline, great characters and stunning visuals not to mention music. You can not miss this game - it is made with love and passion for us players, like a good book it's rich and deep and ending is leaving us awaiting and begging for more to come.
  88. May 25, 2011
    This is simply one of the best games I ever played, definitely best RPG. DA2 is like a watered down compared to this. A definite must buy for RPG fans.
  89. May 25, 2011
    Brilliant game after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. An involved Story with memorable characters, stunning graphics and an immersive world where the residents actually feel alive. The combat takes some getting used to and makes you plan for encounters before jumping in.

Not a fan of the 'quick time events' particularly and would recommend a thorough read of the manual before playing. The standard premium edition box makes a pleasant change from the usual crappy standard plastic DVD case and disc and represents brilliant value for money.

I'm already looking forward to the next game
  90. May 27, 2011
    This game is ART... and from gameplay view, it's the best RPG on the market.. how someone can rate this game from 0 till 4 is beyond me.. maybe you angry because a little company from Poland can make better game than the modern Bioware? The combat is the best in a RPG, it's hard, but that's the point.. it is a modern hardcore RPG, so live with it.. you can always read the manual or pressThis game is ART... and from gameplay view, it's the best RPG on the market.. how someone can rate this game from 0 till 4 is beyond me.. maybe you angry because a little company from Poland can make better game than the modern Bioware? The combat is the best in a RPG, it's hard, but that's the point.. it is a modern hardcore RPG, so live with it.. you can always read the manual or press the J button and read the Journal.. in the Prolog I died about 6 - 7 times on Normal and that just fine be me.. optimalization is perfect because i have a 3-year old rig, and i can play this game on High a almost everything on (except Ubersampling), with 25 - 35 fps, sometimes it goes to 20 and sometimes to 40 - 50 fps, so I'm very happy with that.. so people, please don't be lazy and play this game the way it's mean to be.. pay attention to Journal, don't just clicking all the time in combat like you would play a Devil May Cry game, but instead play with brain.. even if you don't like this game for some reason, you can't give this game less than 5 points from 10.. if you like hard RPG's, than this is the game for you Expand
  91. May 28, 2011
    Definitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is stillDefinitely a good game, with absorbing story, loads of humor and quite challenging action fights. The choices were not as complex as advertised, but I had expected that. The biggest drawback is length. It took me about 25 hours to finish this game, which is rather small amount of time for RPG. You can say almost half of the game differs according to one of your decisions, but it is still disappointing. Expand
  92. May 28, 2011
    ALMOST GAME OF THE YEAR but MOST DEFINITELY(for now, until Skyrim and Deus Ex come out since they are possible contenders as well) BEST RPG this year and many more before it.

I'll apologize in advance to my constant debunking and referencing DA2 since it's a good game to compare TW2 with, at least in the sense that it succeeds in many aspects DA2 failed to deliver in. And I am putting it mildly since DA2 disappointed me more than any other game to date.

To be perfectly honest, I love rpgs, play them hell out of them.. from JRPGs like SMT, persona series, tales series to final fantasy. Betheseda's oblivion, fallout and all of Bioware's games.

Long story short, I LOVE rpgs and I've been in love with them since I was a child. I love complex mechanics, deep gameplay, challenges and character progression, and similarly I adore strong stories with plenty of momentum. And recently, with the recent trend in western rpgs, a large element of choice and moral ambiguity, with the repercussions that follow. And to be perfectly honest TW2 surpassed every expectation.

To be honest, when I first heard about it, I didn't give it much thought, DA2 was over the horizon and I was expecting it with bated breath following DAO, which was a strong(though flawed) successor to Baldur's Gate. Though, following the string(and a very long one at that) of disappointments with DA2, and the incredibly bad taste in my mouth after playing through it, I started to look hopefully towards TW2.

To start off with, the graphics are the BEST graphics you'll ever see in any rpg. Though true, most RPGs tend to have weak graphics to begin with, TW2 actually outshines many games with the high level textures, dynamic shadows, SSAO and a myriad of other lightning, rendering and processing effects that truly make the game shine.

Furthermore, the design of the areas and locations is very well done and you can see the amount of work done to make it that way. As you walk through forests, you can see lots of bushes, foliage and grass tucking in and out around the pathways or the trees in the distance with sordid detail. Unlike other RPGs like DA2, where the areas are dull, bland with flat terrains, without anything but dirt moss textures under them. The terrain and environment in TW2 features an attention to detail that is difficult to find in many games and this is one of the main reasons it can be very immersive.

Next up, the combat is fun and engaging, FAR from perfect though, mainly due to technical issues. The developers took inspiration from Demon's Souls, which means enemies hurt, with even meager enemies being able to destroy you if you get surrounded and they all attack at once. Unlike games like Assassin's Creed, enemies don't wait while you hack down their companions, they attack and don't mind interrupting you. This could get very frustrating combined with the poor targeting system and technical drawbacks

:for some users, there is input lag, which accompanies the performance issues, especially on ATI cards for the moment, then sometimes there is a delay between actions that hav random durations, implying that there may be problems with the combat engine. Though I haven't experienced either of these myself, it is worth noting.

Though moving past it, the combat is deeply satisfying with the hits really really feeling powerful(unlike in DA2, where on harder difficulties, you can thwack enemies with POWERFUL looking hits while taking out.. .1% of their lifebar?) while looking very majestic(think Assassin's Creed in a way). Also, the game provides many ways to tackle your foes. From using the magic to rain death on enemies, to swords, to blasting opponents to hell with an arsenal of bombs and traps as you fight a war of attrition against your foes.

The story is also well done, though it isn't brilliant. It'll be hard getting all the references, nods and such to the original game as well as some plot points. Though it plays its cards well, wherein you aren't a hero, just an apparently special Witcher that is trying to regain his memory and clear his name. The real shining point in this game however is the depth in the choices you make. Geralt is, for the most part, who you want him to be. And it's much deeper than Dragon Age 2, with some key decisions made in the first Act changing everything about how you'll trudge through the next few, changing allegiances, characters and entire quest lines. Also, the sidequests don't feel like boring fetch quests like DA2 with rehashed dungeons(4 times or more), they feel more significant(like a self contained story), with many being morally ambiguous, with some spanning more than one chapter. And there are also many ways to finish a quest, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Though I could elaborate more, I think it would suffice to say that TW2 is certainly one of the best RPGs out there and it's a real MUST buy
  93. May 29, 2011
    I don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustratingI don't see what all the hype is about. I pre-ordered in an instant thinking it would be great. I so wish I could have my money back. First of all the difficulty spikes are totally unbalanced and frustrating. Second the game is not a free exploration RPG - it's a linear rat maze. Third, the combat feels clunky - dodge, mouse click - dodge mouse click. I won't even go into the frustrating boss battles - seriously are we still doing frustrating boss battles in what is supposed to be an epic RPG? Don't get me wrong - I like a well constucted boss battle but not this type of annoying fail and repeat until you get just the right dodge and swing. Are we playing mario brothers or something???? The interface is functional but so many times it seemed to get in the way of gameplay. Also what is up with not letting PC users re-map to the keys we like to use???? It let me re-map a few keys but the important keys I use it would not let me re-map too. I will regretfully be uninstalling. I so thought I had learned my lesson not to pre-order too early. Expand
  94. May 30, 2011
    Great game! It is something more than the usual RPG.
    I recommend to all who are looking for unforgettable entertainment. Beautiful graphics, interesting story, exciting combat. Sometimes I forget that this is a game. :) Maybe too short. But ... has 16 endings.
    My rating 9.5 -10.
  95. Jun 1, 2011
    Really a fantastic game. Once you get first chapter, and you've got the hang of the combat, the game is just as engaging as Mass Effect 2. As long as you have the PC to run it, buy this game.
  96. Jun 2, 2011
    We are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game ofWe are living in a world in which when you are a rookie game developer company and you want to make a project that will be a hit, you must come up with a really good and original idea. CD project Red did exactly this with The witcher; A hardcore pc RPG tittle that was clearly unique in terms of story and gameplay options. The success of TW1 led cd project red into making a second game of the witcher concept in which they experimented even more using their own brand new game engine-an utter fail. The graphics may be brilliant, but the really -REALLY bad combat system blows away one fo the most important rpg element - the battle strategy planning. If you want to play a good action-adventure game TW2 wil satisfy you. But if you want to play a deserving sequel to The Witcher you will taste disappointment. It just lacks the magic of the original. Expand
  97. Jun 3, 2011
    I think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...orI think this game is extremely overrated and required at least 6 months of added development time in order to polish (pun not intended) some issues and bugs which deter the whole experience...sure the world is beautiful and the story interesting but the game has control and AI issues hindering gameplay...I mean...design choices such as: only one person can go through a door at a time...or you can only drink potions while meditating (having to go through menus and choices) and not during fights...I just don't understand these...also some people call this game an RPG...I don't see this..this is an action adventure...you can't design your character, abilities are limited and given from the start, quests are small, dungeons are tiny...I don't think you can even begin to compare this game to epics such as DA:O...finally there are no tactics during combat...you can beat every opponent with the same move..dodge and attack...the boss fights are well done but personally I just don't like quick time events...just pressing one button to complete an elaborate action sequence?! kills the atmosphere...mini games suck and are pretty pointless you'll have seen them all within 3 hours of gameplay...also some quests are just confusing...where you are left clueless wondering what to do or where to go next...this game is just mediocre...but if they ever get a Witcher 3 out..I this that one is going to be pretty good! Expand
  98. Jun 3, 2011
    >It's an RPG without stupid looking armor and sword floating on your back
    >Non Linear your Act 2 will be completely different depending on your choice in Act 1 new map quests
    >Dynamic Lighting, Extremely detailed Textures
    >Story and choices are gray meaning not Good Vs. Evil
    >The game doesn't hold your hand like a child
    >Combat is challenging
  99. Jun 5, 2011
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    Nothing is perfect, but this game is cutting it close.
    From the first steps in this game you are sucked in, it breaths atmosphere and with its mature rating it does feel as medieval times. Unlike this other famous RPG developer, choices do have a big impact on the story and open/close quests and story paths further along the game what gives it a big replay value as well. There is no (obvious) content recycling either.
    The game is a bit difficult at the start and would benefit a bit more from tutorials using the magic signs.
    The game has a few small flaws, like the effort it takes to drink a simple potion, and the lack of a junk tab in the inventory, and the facial expressions are not that good. But these are some minor annoyances.
    The best indication for The Witcher 2 being a good game is that you want more once you finished the game.
    And as an extra, there is no DRM and free DLC.
    Can't wait for an expansion :-)
  100. Jun 6, 2011
    I would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. TheI would give it a 9.5 if it were possible, but it's not worth a 9. Witcher 2 is an amazing rpg, though it does have minor flaws that disrupt the almost-seamless world and character animation. Graphics are out of this world--hot! PC game companies sharing the industry with console better beware, Witcher 2 is PC-made first (though will be on console later), and it is striking. The atmosphere of the world is as addicting as Metro 2033, questing is fun, and the story is exciting. Definitely try this game! Expand
  101. May 17, 2011
    It's pretty sad that some people are depraved enough to give this amazing game a 0. Listen, I've been a Bioware fan since Baldur's Gate, and have played all their games since. Pre-ordering a Bioware game used to be standard operating procedure for me until they dumbed down ME2 for the masses. That was the turning point for me, but I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. After DA2, itIt's pretty sad that some people are depraved enough to give this amazing game a 0. Listen, I've been a Bioware fan since Baldur's Gate, and have played all their games since. Pre-ordering a Bioware game used to be standard operating procedure for me until they dumbed down ME2 for the masses. That was the turning point for me, but I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. After DA2, it became clear that this was going to be the new trend: lazy, uninspired, rushed games, over-hyped and marketed to the FPS short attention span crowd.

It actually doesn't surprise me, it makes a lot of sense. Young, hungry companies like CDPR tend to be very passionate, idealistic, and all-or-nothing when it comes to making a name for themselves by putting the best product they can out there to stand out from the established brands. Bioware used to be a company like that, but as time went on the founders got increasingly comfortable with their company's success, and going from being 20-something and trying to make your mark in the world to being 30-something or 40-something with a company to run and a family to support, a mortgage to pay, etc. changes one's priorities. Accepting an offer of hundreds of millions of dollars for that company is pretty much a no-brainer, and I'm sure the people at Bioware were well aware of the consequences of being bought out by a company like EA. Fast forward to today, and we all can see the inevitable results of the EA buyout, except the few deranged hyper-fanboys/employees that are still in denial and giving genuine works of art a 0 rating...smh... Anyways, I'm not hating on Bioware here, just showing some tough love. I don't care who the developer is as long as they put some heart into it and show us RPG fans some love. Time to get it together and stop focusing on whether Shepard should give Garrus a reach around or not.

1. Pelit (Finland)