8.5

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Being a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do aBeing a total noob at RPGs, I bought this game because I thought the combat looked very good and graphics were awesome. But don't trust the reviews. This game is far too complicated and has too many elements. Graphics are nice and I'm sure there's a good game in there for hardcore dungeon dwellers, but for me it's too complicated. This is NOT a simple Action RPG. The tutorial doesn't do a bad job, but it certainly is off-putting. Expand
  2. Jun 15, 2016
    The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I notThe Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings is amazing videogame with interesting story, good graphics (too light) and excellent training, but in this game many minus eg very light graphics which the cuts eyes or many cutscenes, but pluses in this game much too eg amazing storyline, awesome subjects, excellent training, gameplay is much fun, but Witcher III is better than The Witcher II and I not really like Witcher and in this series I really like Witcher III, but I not really like Witcher II and I played in Witcher 2 and 3, but I don't played first Witcher . Wicher II is good game . Expand
  3. Jun 10, 2015
    This game would have gotten a 9/10 from me, but due to its very narrow FOV i have to take one point off. I was also able to implement a MOD which fixes the FOV; unfortunately, that mod prevented me from using other good mods (such as Full Combat Rebalance MOD), which i had to forsake in order to have a normal field of view.

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the

That aside - i enjoyed the game thoroughly. I am a fan of the first one, and the sequel did not disappoint. The gameplay is not a simplified hack-n-slash - i played on Hard and found combat quite a challenge, final bosses being a real pain in the ass!

Unlike an illusion of choice (such as in Mass Effect) of the path, Witcher 2 offers choices which affect the path and the plot of the main story. Not to give away any spoilers - your choice in the beginning of the Prologue will actually effect the following Chapter. So if you replay the game and make a different choice in the beginning, you will play through a different level in the upcoming chapter - a level which you have never played before. This adds a high value to replayability and believability to the gameplay.

My best part of this whole game is the narrative. This is a game for adults - not because of graphics violence or nudity but because of the depth the story has been developed. It is full of politics, assassinations, intrigues, manipulations, and so on, told through a very witty and eloquent narrative (i just love the prose). The story is magnificent and well-shoed and, as expected from the Witcher universe, thoroughly thought through and explained in detail.
  4. May 3, 2013
    I played the EE of the game fully patched so I base my review on that. The game is great not much to say. Great story, great gameplay, great characters. Things I didn't like where the kinda small locations and to little side quests I think the first one was better in that aspect and I wish they didn't remove the collectible cards (you know what I mean).
  5. Dec 11, 2012
    This game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also moreThis game is truly beautiful on just about every level. Combat can be frustrating when multiple enemies take turns knocking you back but you always have a dozen toys at your disposal to wipe the floor with them. The story is hard to follow with all the name dropping and the fact it feels like it was pulled from the middle of a book instead of the beginning or end. It's also more politically focused this time taking place on a grander scale compared to the Geralt-focused original. Graphics are a sight to see showing off the strength of the best PC power on the market. This is probably the most beautiful & detailed game available today. All in all this game is superior to the original (which is also amazing) on just about every level (I liked the old inventory, alchemy & combat systems better but they are small differences) and superior to most RPGs and games on the market. Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2014
    The Witcher 1 was a perfect RPG experience in my eyes and in retrospect I would rank it among the very best in the genre. The Witcher 2 changes quite a lot of things, some of them for better, others for worse, but despite some problems, it's still a fantastic RPG ride and a worthy successor.

The story is still top notch, maybe little too much politics for my taste, it can be hard to follow all the kingdoms, their situation, kings, intentions etc., but it makes it feel more grandiose in scope. The game itself however is quite a bit shorter than the first one, only 3 chapters and the last chapter went by really fast, but if you do everything, it's still about 30 hours, which is good enough.

The visuals are beautiful, I loved all 3 locations and their environments, some of the locations were just breathtaking, but the overall art direction seems to be pushed into more punch in the face aesthetic, so the colors are often way too over saturated to my taste. I preferred more subtle style of the first Witcher.

The biggest change is the controls and combat. I love the fact you can grip the controller and feel your character, move around, the combat is also much more fluid and it feels tight, that's a good change, but what is not so good is the UI, the inventory management, all the additional menus, it suffered from the overall console controllers interface, it needs some serious getting used to and I really hope this will be improved in TW3.

Another disappointment is the alchemy, one of my favourite things to do in TW1. gathering herbs, mixing potions and effectively use them in battle. Here, you cannot drink once the combat starts, but before that in preparation. You would need to be a seer visionary to know when you are going to need it, this basically ruined the effective use and I just ignored the alchemy completely, focusing solely on the sword techniques.

The biggest problem of TW2 imo is it's linearity and non-open world corridor style world design. Especially now when you can control Geralt with such fluidity it's really immersion breaking to encounter all those invisible walls and barriers, it feels very restricting, you can't even jump over the obstacles, it just lacks the freedom of many other more open world RPGs, but that's exactly the issue that the new Witcher 3 should address.

There are some other minor bugs, I had few crashes during my playthrough, there are many audio balance issues, voice overs too loud or too quiet every once in a while, and they somehow managed to ruin the dice poker mini-game which is not nearly as good as in the first game, but nothing that can destroy your RPG experience.

And what an experience it is, captivating story, interesting characters, well-written quests, in the first half of the game pretty challenging battles that force you to use all your resources to win and important decisions that have a strong impact on the actual world around you and the last but not least - fantastic soundtrack again. All the things I loved about the first Witcher and reasons why I love The Witcher series so much. I'm looking forward to the new open world TW3 that's looking amazing so far and hopefully is going to improve all the shortcomings of TW2 to create the ultimate masterpiece and finish this amazing trilogy. 9/10
  7. Sep 6, 2014
    Graphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is oftenGraphically impressive with exceptional production values, and a good game, but not the second coming, and definitely not the next big thing in RPGs. Restrictive in the same way console RPGs are, just with hi-res textures, presented as an adult game, yet under the surface it's just as adolescent as the first game was, with it's ridiculous sex cards. Gameplay (particularly combat) is often quite bad, particularly on Normal difficulty or higher - controls feel unresponsive, delayed, keymapping can be altered but not in game and only using the game's config tool. Good, but not great. Expand
  8. Feb 22, 2013
    Witcher 2 is a brilliant game. It is very rare to play a fantasy/dark-fantasy game that has nice graphics, good writing and characters, and a mature and interesting story. I also like that the games world has European roots. Go play this if you want a great gaming experience, that is getting more and more rare nowadays.
  9. Jan 16, 2018
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, however unpolished and irritating it can be at times, is a gorgeous fantasy journey that impressively reflects the moral complexity of men.
  10. Sep 26, 2015
    Stellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of aStellar Atmosphere, Great Audio Effects, and Captivating Story. When I first installed the Witcher 2, those traits are what grabbed me. At the end of November and the beginning of December, I preordered my collector's addition at Gamestop. I am slightly disappointed at the package material used to contain my items. The black "fuzziness" coats the bust. At once, I noticed how much of a challenge that TW 2's combat serves. On normal, a player needs to make use of the alchemy system. A player needs to think ahead with the potions that they consume. Expand
  11. Jun 17, 2015
    Improving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailedImproving over The Witcher 1, on the whole combat system and with more engaging side quest, The Witcher 2 is not perfect (if possible I would have rate it 9.5) with some minor defaults like the fact that you don't remember formulas, but I love it way to much to lower the mark to 9. Fantastic graphics at the times and above everything else the best story of modern videogames with detailed and realistic characters, and choices that have enormous consequences, in fact the 40-50 hours that the game needs to be complete could be almost doubled giving that a choice in the end of Act 1 will change the rest of the game in almost every aspect (only a few quests will be the same) .

I've already said this on my review of the first Witcher, but those games are to videogames what Game of Thrones is to series : high production value, faithful to the original works, addicting story and characters, etc. It's a must have !
  12. Jun 30, 2013
    This is the best RPG i've ever played so far the graphics are so so amazing specially the forest parts and the story is just amazing with really difficult choices to make through out the game the combat was improved greatly i liked it better than the first part and there are so many characters that you'll love in this game let me put it simple this game easily nominated for the gameThis is the best RPG i've ever played so far the graphics are so so amazing specially the forest parts and the story is just amazing with really difficult choices to make through out the game the combat was improved greatly i liked it better than the first part and there are so many characters that you'll love in this game let me put it simple this game easily nominated for the game of generation Expand
  13. May 31, 2016
    Immersive. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings is one of those games that you'd really feel getting into. The protagonist and other characters are great, the voice acting is fantastic -- it's action-packed and offers a great story experience. But too much of one thing sometimes kills; as the game is clustered with excessive exploration, dialogues, and puzzles - it ruins the flow of the game.
  14. Rem
    Jan 23, 2016
    The Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or mayThe Witcher 2, in many aspects, puts hardcore back into the rpg while simultaneously offering a vastly replayable game set in a dark fantasy world. The story of Geralt, a master monster slayer, is one rife with politics, adult themes, and intrigue. Right at the start the writing is stellar and written very well. No single character is an archetype, and everyone has a motive that may or may not help you. The element of choice surpasses even today's standards as a decision literally at the beginning of the game could literally send you down one of two vastly different paths throughout the rest of this 40+ hour adventure. This is also no game for children as topics of rape, murder, assassination, and torture are only some of the more mild ones, it makes other similarly rated mature games look like Disney films. Accompanying this game is a dynamic combat system that can swing both ways depending how far you get into the game. If you quit the game rather early, you would've had the impression that this game was frustrating and unforgiving. But the true fun lies with preparing for your battles through potions and reading up on enemy tactics. While not stellar and ultra responsive, the combat of using two swords and a dark souls-esque is welcome over the more vanilla combat system of the first Witcher game. With all I've said you would imagine The Witcher 2 to be a near flawless game but some real flaws hold the game back from achieving real greatness. For one the game is absolutely stunning as in it still makes the PCs of today work to run it even on high. Even then the game overkills with bloom effectively conveying a very fantasy tone but to me it looks rather odd. But among the most frustrating is the inventory and a lack of tutorial. The inventory at best is cumbersome and unintuitive. You'll eventually get used to it, but for the first few hours it can be a nightmare to handle. And the potion system for the most part is an integral part but without knowing what enemies you might face next, it becomes impossible to determine which potion you need for the next fight since you can only take them out of combat through meditation.
    combine this with the lack of a fast travel system and you have a recipe for a bevy of problems that only irritate players. But for the most part, The Witcher 2 is an adult game that respects player choice and is a strong rpg in its own right and of 2011.
  15. Jul 30, 2016
    Good story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed toGood story elements ruined by weak gameplay. The combat in this game is atrocious almost as bad as Demon Souls. Its not hard at all (I started, like always, at the highest difficulty; in this case Dark Mode), but it is cheaply made and very poorly implemented thus you die a lot not due to lack of skill but due to the poor design and just bad luck. This is not how RPG's are supposed to play. If I wanted luck I would go to a casino.

The biggest problem is the auto-target functionality which likes to switch enemies on a whim. So there you are trying to engage one enemy but at the very last moment a different enemy gets closer to you and auto-targeting switches to the new enemy before you know it happened. Since Geralt is a dancing fool, he will do a double twirl towards the new target, exposing his back to the 1st enemy, who takes a lucky swings and kills you in 1 hit. This happened to me at least a dozen times in act 1 until I finally stopped engaging groups and fought them from far away using weak lunges and range weapons (daggers, bombs, traps etc). The problem is that this way of fighting is plain cheap and boring because once you realize how easy it is to kill everything with bombs, it becomes like a "I win" button.

Next the close angle over the shoulder camera is retarded. There you are fighting an enemy and you decide to roll to avoid a hit and whooops.... you encounter the dreaded tree branch! Oh great now there is something blocking 75% of the screen. No problem I will just roll back where I came from... nope cant do that because the enemy follows you and he has an HUGE invisible collision box which blocks your path. Okay so Ill take a chance and roll left... oh oh... its the dreaded 2 inch high tree root with a collision box the size of Detroit... you apparently cannot dive above that little root and instead you hit an invisible wall and the enemy nonchalantly walks up to you (laughing the entire way), looks at you funny for 2 seconds, then lazily stabs you in the neck. Cheap death.

Next you have the ultimate stupidity... all the rolling and twirling. It works ok if you lunge from range then roll back but say you just want to quickly stab someone standing 2 inches in front of you. The enemy has their back turned to you so you figure just a quick back stab is perfect but NO! Geralt decides to do a double somersault 1st because... you know... you dont want to make things too easy... and of course, by the time you do all the ballerina twirls the enemy had had time to turn and you can no longer back-stab so you dive back away before a different enemy back-stabs you...

Horrible gameplay. Once you adjust the combat becomes trivially easy but boring because it is so limited.

Now the good news. The story elements are very good. The story makes sense, the conversations are good, the voice acting is good, and your decisions really do make a difference. I really wanted to progress to see what happens and I really hated some characters (in the good way) and liked some others.

The RPG character build elements are also ok but very limited. There are only 3 trees to pick from but really there are only 2 since the entire Alchemy tree can be reduced to the 1st selection on the left, the one that double the damage from bombs and traps (its the only one you need from that tree and only costs 2 points). There is a mage tree that improves the few spells you have and a combat tree which offers better defense (helpful since combat is so bad) and improve offense. I would prefer more options for gameplay myself with more customization options but thats just me.
  16. May 20, 2011
    Finally a game from a company not bought out by EA. Bioware should be ashamed of themselves after seeing how good of a job CDProject has done on this game. This is what a real game looks like. Beautiful graphics that run great, deep gameplay, characters that I care about, dialog that is actually something I would want to say. Fighting that is not automated, story that makes sense and isFinally a game from a company not bought out by EA. Bioware should be ashamed of themselves after seeing how good of a job CDProject has done on this game. This is what a real game looks like. Beautiful graphics that run great, deep gameplay, characters that I care about, dialog that is actually something I would want to say. Fighting that is not automated, story that makes sense and is enjoyable, and enough depth and complexity to actually warrant playing the game. After Dragon Age was completely destroyed I was heart broken, thankfully this game has come around to take up the slack. Just wait though, EA will buy up CDProject, and they will start producing 1 piece of **** game a year just like the rest of them. Expand
  17. Mar 25, 2016
    Well, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other handWell, after I had read all of the books, i'm keeping get disappointed about loose adaptation. But the disappointment through the rate 6/10 regards poor optimization, flat characters (beside the witcher and Triss) and more important few localizations that are small. The characters appear where they want, lots of bugs despite the fact the game was released over 5 years ago. On the other hand I'm proud of good voice acting, great fight feeling and interesting story. Expand
  18. Oct 12, 2011
    Unfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another consoleUnfortunately. I am comparing this to PC games and TW1 which in my opinion was vastly better. Requiring 2 9 gb patches within a 9 days of launch and still being flawed this is one awful example of what happens when a company designs for a console and this tries to fit a product coded for ancient hardware to state of the art PC. It was a nightmare which I couldnt bear. Another console RPG/Action clone. Linear in the extreme and reliant on the (admittedly good) cut scenes for atmosphere and immersion. Personally, if I want to spend most of the time watching cut scenes, I will watch a movie. The linear gameplay made this feel like it would have been much happier droppng the human element and playing itself. I can understand this being a real blockbuster for the PC, lets be honest its so similar to Two worlds 2 and all the other lightweight RPG action clones for the console its pretty much interchangable. Expand
  19. Sep 9, 2012
    Very good game with awesome graphics and main story. This game si in many ways better than Skyrim. A must buy if you like witcher books. This game is same quality like them.
  20. Sep 9, 2016
    The most overrated of the Witcher series.The first Witcher which i enjoyed back when it was released, was a very good but flawed gem. Witcher 3 is probably the best RPG yet. But Witcher 2, is overrated.

This game was praised a lot for its graphics and story. Both are really great. But as a game, this is poor. Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll

Gameplay is boring. Combat system is among the worst ever. Roll and roll with the occasional Quen sign and some mouse clicks. Boring.

The maps are really small, and the gameplay is really just busywork in between the story segments.

Alchemy is useless, magic aside Quen is not really useful.

There enemy AI is braindead, and playing in higher difficulties just makes the enemies HP sponges and the bosses like the Kraken, a cancer.

I am sorry, but this is a video game, not an interactive novel, and as a game it is just not very good.

The story is still stellar, and the graphics are awesome. And you will enjoy Witcher 3 much more if you complete this as well.

2 options exist, either watch a "movie version" of the story on Youtube, or play in this on the easiest difficulty setting, just for the story. The game, as a video game, is overrated. I typically use "extreme" ratings for overrated or underrated games, but since this is the Witcher series, one of my favourites, i am biased, so i will give it the rating it deserves, 7/10. Don't let that score fool you though, you definitely need to watch or play this once, in any case, despite its flaws.
  21. May 18, 2011
    Witcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I haveWitcher 2 has continued to grow on me, and no, I'm REALLY not advancing the plotline. Just pacing though the original semi-open area, exploring every nook and cranny. Some people might call this a 30 hour game. At the rate I am playing 80. This is like bioshock was years ago, I just adore every single inch and feel incredibly at home. This is incalculably better than anything else I have played for YEARS. The soundtrack is hauntingly flawless, the graphics are simply the best ever conceived (yes, better than crysis 1 on highest) and the combat system is deep and hard-as-nails. The games main downer is that it has to end. I don't want it to end!! If portal 2 was the ingenious of this year, this would be the class. 100% golden plated class. Expand
  22. Sep 5, 2011
    It's a good RPG but I found the combat system was a bit of a backwards step and spoilt what remained, the graphical performance was ropey at release despite having a high end PC... and TBH the effects didn't impress me to much, could have done this on the original's engine and would have been just as good.
  23. Oct 2, 2012
    Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else,Witcher 2 represents a brilliant effort at role-playing game design, that if anything took itself too seriously, and so fell a deal short of its potential. This game however was made with passion and love for its characters, its world, its tale! That level of passion pushes the game towards a 10/10 score despite a fairly large number of warts, blemishes and imperfections. If nothing else, the game tells a story worth witnessing to the end. It's a game perhaps to be bought and played only once. But that once should suffice to crete powerful memories, much like reading a good book or seeing a good movie. This game has a GREAT plot. GREAT characters heros villains and NPCs. Great locations. Even the combat is pretty good once you figure out how to do it (hint: roll roll roll roll, never walk always roll) With every reccommendation in the world, potential players need to be warned of the shortcomings of Witcher 2: (1) The implementation of quick time events is TERRIBLE. (2)The combat is clumsy, (3) The lack of camera flexibility is TERRIBLE in a game that demands reactions, and skill. (4) The U.I is extremely bothersome to use. (5) The explorable world is too small. (6) The story is too short. (7) The ending is REALLY BAD. (8) No real replayability after a first playthrough. Cudos go to the designers for patching the first release and for lots of free DLC and a great attitude to their customer base. We can only pray they keep their level of passion for their work and find a way to offer all they do well again in a larger space with more player imput. CD Projekt Red have shown themselves to be a design team to watch and pray for. If these guys do everything right we could have a true masterpiece on our hands. Expand
  24. Jan 28, 2018
    The Witcher 1 felt like a labour of love from talented amateurs. A good game that I finished eagerly despite the hassles, such as reincessantly rehacking respawns. Witcher 2 feels like the complete opposite. It is indeed gorgeous, lively and atmospheric, but everything else is ridiculously bad.

QTE. Quick Time Events. Do I need to say more ? Oh, yes I do. That’s only the cherry on top of the iceberg. I literally laughed at some of the implementation issues.

Let’s start with the tutorial, which confuses instead of teaching. I got stuck in it. I thought it was bugged. I Googled for a fix, and learned that there is no bug. There is just a big empty space in its designer’s brain. A guy actually wrote a tutorial that needs a walkthrough to complete. With a clue, it still took me 20 minutes of pressing various buttons everywhere in the UI, giggling at the ridicule of the situation.

The UI, aah, the UI. The vast majority of software engineers are incapable of designing a proper UI, a smart and comfortable one.Intuitiveness, minimal clicks, font sizes, visibility, accessibility, clarity and so on, all foreign concepts to most. I don’t expect the quality of, say, Dishonored, in every game/player interface… well, in fact I do, but here we reach new lows. Good luck if you want to talk to a NPC standing between a door and a torch. Have fun checking your inventory. Switching directly to your character sheet. Reading the latter. Pruning your thousands of saves…

The gameplay isn't fun either. Combat is 2-buttons smashing while Geralt wastes calories, dancing around and rolling like a buffoon in lieu of dodging. Looting is aka junk collecting; I suddenly became encumbered, had to finally browse the dreaded inventory, and realised I was carrying 40 kilos of timber and 40 kilos of cloth, among other crap. I stopped looting altogether. I don't even craft, nor do I use alchemy. If I want to cook, I go to the kitchen, I don't launch a video game. I came for the RPG and the exploration, and found very little of each.

Sceneries look huge, yet the maps are tiny and practically linear. Since Geralt is blocked by any step higher than 33.33 centimetres, your job is to find the only interactive spot where he can climb up or down. Once in a while, there is a short dead-end you can visit, branching from your railroad. There, you can find a pointless encounter with a 2-lines dialogue, or a couple of plants to harvest. But only if you are lucky on a toss coin, because if you take the other path first, you can never go back.

The RPG part is mostly through dialogue options. The very first time, when I choose a line, Geralt says something completely different. That alone sets the tone. It shows the value of your input. You know who is boss, and you certainly know you are not in an RPG. Later on, there were 3 or 4 options. I was reading the 2nd line when Geralt started mumbling out line 1. I thought it was bugged. I Googled for a fix, and learned that there is no bug. It's a reading race mini-game. They call it a feature. I call them morons.

The sound effects are brilliant. However, dozens of people chattering at once when you speak to someone makes hearing your interlocutor impossible. And the subtitles are gone before you reach the end of the line.

I've been talking about gameplay, except that most of Witcher 2 consists of cutscenes. Nice ones, some awesome ones, some funny ones, but cutscenes nonetheless. Millions upon millions of them. I was lucky I cared for the story, otherwise I would have fallen asleep. Still, way too much passive time for something that is supposed to be a game, and another big reason to give up after a few hours.

In Witcher 1, I really loved the town. In W2, by the time I finally reached one, I was already put off by the game. I expected Flotsam to reinvigorate my immersion and my motivation. It didn't happen. I quit about there, but not before a last surprise and a good laugh at the expense of the devs : I stepped out of town. The monsters were waiting for me right behind the gates ! Just like the poster on the door said. I Kid you not, they camp there waiting to attack anyone who walks out. At the foot of the fortified wall. The one with nobody on the rampart to shoo or shoot them away. Such a wonderful, wonderful, and credible town.

The list of flaws seems infinite and I must stop somewhere, but there is one I can't resist mentioning : In this fantasy, there are women. Middle-Age women, those with no rights and no value except the value of their beauty. So far so good. And since they undress easily, you can see that all these women have shaved armpits. Ah ah ah ! Must be because of all these Middle-Age commercials for cosmetic brands.

TLDR: An interactive cartoon with rare moments of playing on a railroad with bad mechanics.
  25. Aug 8, 2012
    I definitely loved playing this game, the story was very powerful, it had good animation, and you could pick many different outcomes through speech, that and the open world gameplay was great, definitely worth the purchase, my only complaint is that it ended right as I was hoping for more.
  26. Aug 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forcedThe Witcher 2 is an breathtaking game that offers an interesting story, well written characters and a visually beautiful world. The combat is also quite satisfying though the difficulty curve is a bit off. The game has quite a lot of content and depending on your choices you will have a completely different experience which will likely please any rpg-fan. You are however (obviously) forced to play as witcher Geralt and even though Geralt is an interesting character are you kind of locked into his thinking and cant really go outside the box regarding your choices. The witchers surrounding does however make up for it by good voice acting, interesting characters and so forth. It should be noted that the game is a bit rough around edges from time to time but it really is a quite a remarkable rpg and if you are willing to spend some time on the game and have an interest in rpgs you should definitely give it a shot. Expand
  27. Sep 7, 2012
    If your PC can graphically handle the Witcher 2, you will experience some of the best visuals to date. Be forewarned that this is not an easy task, the game has some of the most demanding requirements. I did not play the original Witcher so I really didn't know what to expect, what a pleasant surprise this game is! -- Story (9): The beginning is a little slow but once your rolling theIf your PC can graphically handle the Witcher 2, you will experience some of the best visuals to date. Be forewarned that this is not an easy task, the game has some of the most demanding requirements. I did not play the original Witcher so I really didn't know what to expect, what a pleasant surprise this game is! -- Story (9): The beginning is a little slow but once your rolling the Witcher 2 has an extremely rewarding story, strengthened by some of the best voice acting I've seen. Your character, the Witcher, is kick ass and his personality and actions are epic. -- Graphics (10): If your machine is adequate, this game has some of the best graphics around. Better than Skyrim on max settings , the visuals are breathtaking, every city and surrounding area is a pleasure to look at. -- Sound (9): The environments, the voice acting, and the effects from spells, skills, and fighting all sound really pleasing. Your character also participates in conversations, making the whole experience more realistic. -- Gameplay (10): Even though everything else here is so good, the gameplay is where the Witcher 2 shines. Some of the best controls I've used for an action RPG, they are extremely smooth very adaptable. The fighting is also superb, addressing all the problems presented in games such as Skyrim. No more generic 3rd person hack and slash, your moves are fluent and responsive. This game also presents a challenge, be prepared to save, die and try again. -- Endgame (8): Multiplayer support would have been great but it's such an epic single player experience that it suffices. There have been numerous support updates and an "Enhanced Edition" with more content is now offered. You will be very satisfied with the starting content itself, this is an adventure that will take some time and effort. Overall The Witcher 2 has been an extremely refreshing addition to the "action-RPG" genre and will make for an extremely awesome addition to your gaming collection. -- Overall: (9) Expand
  28. Apr 11, 2017
    Talk about the animations, lvl design, voice acting, combat, crafting, missions, music, and the story oh boy so amazing not only in the main missions but also side quests has amazing stories to em.

I am totally blown away in every possible way. I finished the game to 100%. Did not leave a single quest unfinished in the game.
  29. Mar 12, 2013
    I only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside thatI only recently started playing The Enhanced Edition, and I must say, The Witcher 2 is an RPG gem. Sure it has it's flaws, like a few performance issues here and there, the lack of a PROPER tutorial (yes, the EE has a prologue that SORT OF explains SOME of the games features, but even during that tutorial I sometimes found myself confused, having to consult Google to progress), beside that the game is really good, slightly harder than your average western RPG, but not impossible. If you're a fan of fantasy worlds with magical elves that live in the forest eating berries, goofy dwarves that make you laugh, and a merry atmosphere all around, then The Witcher 2 is about to give you a mature slap in the face with it's gritty world, filled with murderers, whores, and violence. Don't get me wrong, the adult content does not overshadow the fantasy setting, the world of The Witcher 2 is a magical, mysterious one, filled with dark secrets and fascinating characters. Now down to combat, combat in this game is a little more complicated than your average Fable or Elder Scrolls game, but it's also pretty fun, and doesn't take that long for you to get used to. Graphics? The graphics are superb, but I must warn you, consult a guide on it's graphics settings before starting the game to get the best performance/visual setup, as you may find your FPS dropping for unnecessary graphical settings that don't really add anything to the visuals. (set "texture memory size" from anywhere above medium if you have a graphics card with more than 1 gig of video memory, it'll give you a good FPS boost). Overall this game is well worth your money. Let's just hope CD Projekt puts more effort into a tutorial in The Witcher 3 Expand
  30. Feb 18, 2013
    To sum up this game as quickly as possible, it's up there with the greatest, most badass games ever. The story is immensely dark, gripping and sexy while the gameplay is superb and has everything you look for in an action-rpg. Now don't get me wrong, this game does not have the length of a total fantasy experience like Skyrim but it doesn't have to be as it gives you something else just asTo sum up this game as quickly as possible, it's up there with the greatest, most badass games ever. The story is immensely dark, gripping and sexy while the gameplay is superb and has everything you look for in an action-rpg. Now don't get me wrong, this game does not have the length of a total fantasy experience like Skyrim but it doesn't have to be as it gives you something else just as great. For what you pay for, you get pure gaming awesomeness for the best price imaginable. CD Projekt has once again delivered a masterpiece! Expand
  31. May 25, 2011
    It seems I'm in a minority. But the lack of gameplay depth in this is so sad.
    Game plays fine, graphics are great, but it's not in any way an RPG, it's an action adventure.
    Fine I suppose, lovely I suppose for some. But with Bioware and Bethesda taking all the customization and tactical cobat elements out of their games, it seems this frnachise is going the same way. Luckily, if RPG's are
    It seems I'm in a minority. But the lack of gameplay depth in this is so sad.
    Luckily, if RPG's are what you are after there are some EXCELLENT indie ones that are as good as Baldur's gate or the original Witcher. It seems the gameplay masses just want arcade style kiddie games. Fair enough, I'll move on to indie developers and let these games gradually melt down till they are as about as involving as pong.
  32. Dec 20, 2011
    The last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regularThe last RPG I played was Mass Effect 2. Am not really into these kinds of games as a rule but thought I'd check this out after seeing such good metascores. Suffice to say that I found the Witcher 2.0 to have some elements that I really liked - such as lush visuals, challenging combat and a complex story. However, even with a high-end PC and card I was having framerate issues and regular freezing. Also, the overarching story and back-story is so convoluted, that I found myself pining for less characters and a tighter plot. Biggest gripe though is with the inventory system and the combat. Some of the boss fights are literally rock hard, making Deus Ex's boss battles seem like a walk in the park. Maybe I didn't have the right equipment on me, but I've played and completed so many games I've lost count. Alas, I completed 90% of the Witcher then gave up, impressed to an extent but ultimately wanting a different kind of experience. Open world this is not. Expand
  33. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale existsThis game is CDK Projekt Red's masterpiece, it truly deserves all the praise it has gotten, and I haven't found myself more immersed in the story of any other RPG. What The Witcher 2 completely nails is giving you the feeling that your character is extremely important, as here you will literally be deciding the fates of entire kingdoms, and it is interesting how a sense of scale exists without the game being truly open-world, and how your decisions as small as they seem can result in great or very grim consequences to you or somebody else. I love the story and the aspects that reinforce it, and the characters are great, Geralt himself is a complete badass and still has the charisma that a video game hero needs in a big story, and some interactions can be extremely amusing indeed. Moving on from the story, the graphics are incredible, it is one of the best looking games I have played to date, you don't even need them maxed out for the game to look amazing, and the lighting also does a great job. The sound is also great, the soundtrack is one of the best I have heard in a while, and I have no complaints about the sound effects themselves. The gameplay is interesting, given that it does have an extra layer of depth despite what is rather few combinations and possibilities when it comes to combat itself, I do wish for more variety, however I was content with what was presented. When you're not in combat you're in dialogue or possibly exploring a place. Quests and side quests are well balanced and interesting, they never feel like a drag and can lead to some interesting outcomes that only reinforce the story and setting. I do wish for better collision detection however, since I have encountered problems with that. And I also had a few problems with the difficulty curve at the beginning of the game, but that evened out later. Overall this is a must buy, this game is an experience you won't get anywhere else, I can guarantee that. Expand
  34. Jun 2, 2011
    One of the best RPG's ever made. It's beautiful, with expansive environments and varied locations. The combat resemble a hack and slash game, but it's more tactical and deeper than one. The combat is also challenging and rewarding. There seems to be almost no bugs at release, and all in all the game looks and runs 100x better than the first game. The story and quests are there to. Gone areOne of the best RPG's ever made. It's beautiful, with expansive environments and varied locations. The combat resemble a hack and slash game, but it's more tactical and deeper than one. The combat is also challenging and rewarding. There seems to be almost no bugs at release, and all in all the game looks and runs 100x better than the first game. The story and quests are there to. Gone are the strange Polish to English translations from the first game. The conversations are better written and it seems the voice actors have better direction this time around. A universal improvement from the first game in almost every category. So far, this is game of the year. Expand
  35. Dec 4, 2011
    Witcher was awesome. Most of what made it good was sucked out of W2 though. Most of the battles were easy but the combat system has to be one of the worst I've ever used - especially towards the end. The whole "can't heal during combat" might be more realistic but it means you will be reloading more often if you walk into an ambush. But I'm not sure why realism matters because it is aWitcher was awesome. Most of what made it good was sucked out of W2 though. Most of the battles were easy but the combat system has to be one of the worst I've ever used - especially towards the end. The whole "can't heal during combat" might be more realistic but it means you will be reloading more often if you walk into an ambush. But I'm not sure why realism matters because it is a fantasy world anyway. The weapons and upgrades throughout the game were mostly hoo-hum. The new skill system was pretty good but none of the skills were really that useful during combat. What really kills this game is the bugs. Even after all the patches there are showstoppers - but no crashes. The dice game is buggy frequently, the scenery gets in the way during combat and some of the quests don't complete properly. Even worse is the new minigames. The dice game is buggy such that you can't always even move the dice. Additionally some of the players seem to get 4 or 5 of a kinds or full houses with statistically magical accuracy. The arm wrestling game is just stupid. It doesn't feel in any way like I'm really arm wrestling. It's just frustrating. The fist fighting minigame is pretty good though.

The game is mature but other than 2 scenes and a lot of bad language I don't see why. The first game made Geralt out to be a womanizer and prostitution as just part of any town. W2 relegates it to romance with brothels thrown in for no reason. The language seems overly mature just to justify the rating I think. Take out the language and it isn't worthy of M.

Overall I'm disappointed in W2. The first one was better. I hope they go back to the original formula for the next version. One thing I do like about them, and one reason why I support them, is there DRM stance and their post-release support. As a company they are top notch. I just hope they fix Witcher for the next go around.
  36. Sep 3, 2011
    maybe (hopefully) i'll up my score once the update 2.0 get released but as the game is now (v1.35), it is horrible. i loved the first one (a 10/10 for me) and shelled out for a second graphics card just to be able to play witcher 2 with max details. turns out - that's not the biggest issue.
    now - i don't even care (much) about gamedesign choices. i'm not particularly fond of the combat redesign (i loved the combo system - and hate those cinematic instantkills in witcher 2... they're fun a couple of times but it gets old real quick...) and i don't like how especially the main characters have become run of the mill action heroes (in terms of their physical design) instead of the humble looking geralt and the graceful looking triss from the first part.
    but... the story is still there and most features work nicely. so... nevermind those "minor" issues.
    BUT (!!!) the game is so bug-ridden, it's not even funny any more. i've talked about it with a friend who has also been a gamer for around two decades and neither of us has ever played a game with so many bugs that were there consistently. sure, you'll get the odd bug here and there in games. but e.g. the block system is completely screwed up (at least in v1.35, geralt doesn't always block if you hold E - you have about a 50/50 chance that he will actually do it), the medallion is supposed to highlight objects you can loot/interact with but again about a 50/50 chance that it will also highlight things you can't do anything with and much more (look at the technical support forum on the official website if you want a whole list...).
    there have been quite a few games that were criticized by gamers about having been rushed and letting gamers do the beta (and sometimes it maybe even feels like alpha) testing. i never read something like that about witcher 2. and i wonder: why?!
    (still looks gorgeous and most things WOULD be there. hence the still 8/10... i really hope they'll fix these things)
  37. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafingThe Witcher 2 has a great story with decisions that really matter and that gives it a very high replay value, which is rare these days. The characters, music and surroundings are fantastic. There's a lot to do and discover. They also worked on the fighting mechanics and menus compared to the first game, which are still not perfect, but better (movements are too console-ish, no strafing etc.). The leveling/skill system has bonuses that can be aquired in many different ways and there's always something to do.

The graphics are also very good, but the engine seems to lack optimization and could perform better at times.
    Potions are pretty useless, because you can't drink them during battles and you can't always tell when a difficult fight is coming up. The boss fights are seriously tough compared to most other games, but once you get the hang of it it's all manageable.

Overall, The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs I've played and I'm very much looking forward to The Witcher 3.
  38. Aug 26, 2013
    A nice game nearly ruined by inconsistent difficulty and frustrating or unreliable mechanics. It has sadly contracted Xbox consolitis (on top of the first game's already mediocre controls). You may have to mash a button 5 times before it registers. Many quests and scripted sequences are convoluted and confusing, leading to excessive trial and error gameplay. Often I had to trawl forums andA nice game nearly ruined by inconsistent difficulty and frustrating or unreliable mechanics. It has sadly contracted Xbox consolitis (on top of the first game's already mediocre controls). You may have to mash a button 5 times before it registers. Many quests and scripted sequences are convoluted and confusing, leading to excessive trial and error gameplay. Often I had to trawl forums and wikis for help. Combat is more difficult & realistic but some fights seem far too difficult, as if the difficulty setting randomly changes. At least TW1 was consistently too easy. But despite its flaws, this is an atmospheric game set in a detailed believable world, that continues the great story of Geralt of Rivia. Worth a look, but you may want to play on 'easy'. Expand
  39. Sep 15, 2014
    The game looks marvelous, the execution of visuals, storytelling and everything connected is just perfect. You can actually care about characters and their stories, and the main plot isn't just shoveled down with an uninspired ending like in the previous title. The story connections to the prequel surely will make me to replay this title few times.

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay

Why 5 then? Because the gameplay absolutely sucks in every possible way. The combat system is a clusterf***, the lack of control and annoyances surrounding it (picking up items in the middle of the fight, come on) and the character development is just subpar and far below what the first game offered. The UI is tiring and navigating takes definitely too much time and clicking, drinking potions is just a chore to do, magic signs are unprecise and not really useful. They could ditch out the combat entirely, making a point'n'click adventure game and the game would only benefit from it.
  40. May 17, 2011
    david gaider voted zero for this game.

just check this link: http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/David_Gaider

this is getting ridiculous and bioware is slowly becoming the most hated studio if they go on like that. terrible losers they are.

41. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in yourWitcher 2 was everything Dragon Age 2 tried but failed to be. It's a gritty, serious, mature sequel. There in lies a problem. It's hard to simply pick up and know exactly what is going on. The world of the witcher is a deep mythology. The combat can also be complex and difficult to manage if you're used to playing on consoles. However, the story is rich and choices are reflected in your actions. Further, the game rewards you for thoughtful consideration of how you progress your character with regard to how you play and for exploration of the world. Further, the graphics are impressive. It's the best RPG of the year and rivals Dragon Age: Origins. Expand
  42. Jun 11, 2011
    The Witcher 2 represents a step forward in terms of visuals mitigated by more than a couple steps backward in terms of combat, user interface, and alchemy.

Visually, TW2 impresses, even on mid level machines. On high end hardware, the game is simply breath taking. Few games boast such a robust attention to detail. The game is highly GPU dependent as any PC game should be, and even on my outdated EVGA GTS 250, I was able to achieve a more than playable frame rate between 40 and 60 FPS on â
  43. May 26, 2011
    Warning - This game is frustrating. Very frustrating. Early on, you will die. A lot. You will probably want to hit something with your keyboard. The difficulty is rather uneven in places and they don't ease you into learning how to use all your tools very well (and you need all your tools). The difficulty and combat issues aside, this game puts the "RP" back into "RPG". The world is veryWarning - This game is frustrating. Very frustrating. Early on, you will die. A lot. You will probably want to hit something with your keyboard. The difficulty is rather uneven in places and they don't ease you into learning how to use all your tools very well (and you need all your tools). The difficulty and combat issues aside, this game puts the "RP" back into "RPG". The world is very interesting, with a lot of stuff going on. The characters all have their own motivations. Your choices during the game actually matter, sometimes on a large scale and sometimes simply because you can lie to cover for an NPC. Much like the first Witcher, this is not the most accessable game out there, but it's one of the best at making you feel like you're in the world doing stuff. Highly recommended, and if it frustrates you too much just drop it to easy and play for the roleplaying aspect rather then the combat. Expand
  44. Nov 25, 2014
    I loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the otherI loved TW1. So I got this game as soon as it came out. I beat it and enjoyed every minute of the process. Its beautiful. As soon as I learned The Witcher 3 is in the works I picked it up and beat it again. This time I made all the opposite choices. Thats right! Silly me. My first game ended with me saving Triss over the king's kids with the help of Roach. I never explored all the other choices. My second play-through I was a freedom fighter with Iorveth who helped the non-humans carve out a kingdom. Its amazing how I could start in the same place. Make completely reasonable choices and end with such a different experience. The whole second act of the game was completely different.
    This game is mature. The characters are complex. The plot is mature. Unlike so many games where there is the clearly good option and the clearly evil option, in this game you try to do good but the choices are hard. Do you let innocent people burn to death, or do you let a bad guy get away without punishment? Choices like that.
    I do have 2 criticisms. Combat is a little hit or miss. Like the real world when the bad guys gang up on you, you are going to take a beating. Also the game is too short. Both these things were partially resolved by the FREE RELEASE of the Enhanced Edition.
    I can't wait for The Witcher 3 to come out.
  45. Jun 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. I haven't seen such "glazed" crap in a long while...

I won't be brief. I joined only to put this review here so people can learn what to expect of the game.

1. The game is ridiculously short. What is there to play, will fast become tedious backtracking and dull repetition of actions to the point that you'll wish to delete the game right then and there and forget it even exists. I also need to point out that there's not much to do. Simple side quests that put WOW to shame, so insanely complicated by the lack of navigation and explanation it borders stupidity. Bravo.

2. It's complicated. Pointlessly complicated. The task of creating and/or drinking a potion requires you to enter meditation mode. Why? The potions are so nonsensically useless, I beg to question the point of their existence in the game. I only used one potion. ONE POTION. And only because the game told me i had to. I got more use of the oils. Which brings me to the item creation feature. You have to FIND and PAY craftsman to create an item. I realize Geralt's no McGuyver but that's just stupid. A craftsman skill would've made more sense in my opinion. But that's just me. I also found the mutagens to be useless.

3. The combat system is confusing. Half the time i don't know what i'm doing and the guide offers little help. Considering i haven't played the first Witcher game, i can't exactly say if it had a better one, but this one sucks and that's all i care. 4. I think the game has more bugs that Stalker Clear Sky. I'm even prepared to say that it has more bugs than BIOSHOCK. At least Bioshock didn't have much bugs that were crippling for the further development of the story. Patch 1.2 installed and nothing's changed.

5. Anticlimactic story ending. The story begins interestingly enough, builds up a massive fuss, only to end with a fart in the wind. I'll not say why, i don't wish to spoil anything, but i know people will understand what i mean. The the boss fights are Ok. It's much like an "interactive movie", like most people warn, but i wish to point out that there's an accentuation on the "movie" bit, while the "interactive" part falls very short. I was left disappointed and without a yearning for a replay.

The ONLY positive side of the game is that i'ts eye candy. I applaud and commend the fine gentlemen that were in charge of the game's visual designs and artwork because that's the only thing that drove me to keep on playing even though i hated myself for being so weak.

In summation, I don't like the game. I'm sure others will like it. As for me, I guess i had high hopes. For something more than a messy plot and fantastic visuals. The problems the game clearly has, are just too much for me. And i'm being lenient, believe me.
  46. Jun 17, 2013
    Definitely not for everyone. The fighting is somewhat counter-intuitive and took a good hour to get the hang of, but now that I understand the mechanics of the fighting, I like it more than the usual left-click-fest dungeon crawlers out there. You actually need timing in this game. Spells actually make a difference but aren't so over-powered you can just sit back and play menus.

There

There are several context-sensitive menu options, such as meditating, which only appear when you're near a fire or talking to someone who can offer you shelter. Once you know this, it's fine, but the first time I was told to meditate I was pretty confused since I couldn't find a meditation option anywhere.

Once you get passed the initial learning curve, Witcher 2 is quite a lot of fun to play.
  47. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  48. Apr 27, 2012
    This is one of the best game I have ever played. I played the enhanced edition, and everything is as good as expected. The only thing I can complain is the game sometimes crashes, but with the design of their quick save button, I'm sure people will learn to save more often to minimize the misfortune. Although it isn't as long as the first Witcher, which lasted around 45 hours, Witcher 2This is one of the best game I have ever played. I played the enhanced edition, and everything is as good as expected. The only thing I can complain is the game sometimes crashes, but with the design of their quick save button, I'm sure people will learn to save more often to minimize the misfortune. Although it isn't as long as the first Witcher, which lasted around 45 hours, Witcher 2 still tells a good story with it's shorter length. Expand
  49. Jul 11, 2016
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

This is a really well put together CRPG where you control Geralt of Rivia - the Witcher. Unlike the first instalment which I just couldn't bear this one both looks and plays great. The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need
    A really cool fantasy rpg game with great mechanics and interesting story.

The combat system is really good - a bit of dexterity and strategy is required to perform. The combination is just right. You need to keep in mind which sword you use - iron for humans and silver for monsters. The signs in certain situation prove a great help while in others are pretty useless. The use of potions also adds to the strategy level of the combat. It's not just mouse clicker - where you select enemy and click constantly. You need to dodge, use throwables and time your attacks just right. This is probably the best part of the game.

The story is really good and makes you care about the choices you do make. I'm not a fan though of the Sapkowski world entirely - some dialogues do break the character of the setting and make you remember this is a game (i.e. when elf says "Piece of lembass" and shrugs it when asked for details). This is not the game developers fault but the witcher author and it is just something that doesn't feel right for me - other people might and probably have different opinion.

Voice acting is well done, although a bit too vulgar in my opinion - but again that is witcher's novels trademark so I can't blame game developers for it.

The levelling up system does provide quite a few options. Shame the game does not have enough content to upgrade everything. But that makes for interesting choices.

Overall really did enjoy the game and it's story. Would without problem recommend this title to any cRPG enthusiast.
  50. Oct 22, 2011
    One of the best rpg I've played to date, re-playability aplenty free dlc by the handful what more could anyone want?

Amazing art and sound design through character and voice design. The developers obviously set out to earn your money and it shows in every detail, every fiber of the game any fan of rpgs owes it to themselves to get this game.
  51. Oct 27, 2013
    Simply stunning on all levels. I bought this game on release date but my hardware at the time made playing it painful. I decided to wait until I could afford a PC that justified this classic game. fast forward to 2013 and I reinstalled on my new rig. Wow jaw dropping work of art godlike THIS game is something very special and deserves to be played at max settings. Nothing compares to it.Simply stunning on all levels. I bought this game on release date but my hardware at the time made playing it painful. I decided to wait until I could afford a PC that justified this classic game. fast forward to 2013 and I reinstalled on my new rig. Wow jaw dropping work of art godlike THIS game is something very special and deserves to be played at max settings. Nothing compares to it. Everything about this game is perfect (especially since it's been patched and modded). The only thing I found initially tough was A) the sheer amount of stuff Geralt can do B) the combat takes a while to master. The Witcher 2 is breathtaking and an example of why I play games. Enjoy. Expand
  52. Aug 17, 2015
    The combat is a lot better than the first Witcher, but still can feel rather clunky and awkward.

The Tiny Inventory that was annoyingly small in The first game is improved in the 2nd by being more spacious and has a weight system instead, I can explore and loot for quite a while before I have to go sell or store. Despite being more spacious the inventory still feels flawed, it's a higgledy piggledy ugly mess of a list. The perfect inventory system would be a much larger grid system, sort of like what the first Witcher had but 4 times as spacious.

While the inventory has improved, alchemy has gone backwards. Only being able to drink potions during meditation is annoying. You can't drink potions during battle, so you have to guess what you may need before a fight which can be wasteful or go in blind see what happens and figure what you need and reload a previous save. Rather time consuming. The first witcher's alchemy system was better it let you drink potions in battle and I prefer being able to drink potions in battle. A really stupid decision to change it.

Moving around the world feels restrictive, with only certain spots you can climb or descend with no ability to jump over obstacles, movement is rather linear and so is exploration.

Map is flawed, especially bad for me since I have a bad sense of direction. The map seems to expect you to memorise where everything is, nothing is labelled, I had to find Phillipa's house and it did not mark or label it on the map, so I spent ages entering each house trying to find hers which is rather frustrating and time wasting

The game has way too many long cutscenes making it feel more like a interactive movie than a game. I want to play a game, not watch a movie.

Boss battles feel like a movie script as well, you have to pay attention to when to rapidly click your mouse at certain points.You fight a boss only to have the battle interrupted by cut scenes such Geralt moving around on a tentacle or to be distracted by a falling bridge cutscene after each time you chop off a tentacle.

I find it annoying, I want to fight a boss and not continually have the battle be interupted by a cutscene. I really dislike the Quick Time Events, it ruins any immersion for me.

The world of Witcher 2 is dark in an over done way, it's not even all that terribly original - it's your generic "Dark and Gritty Fantasy" setting, set in wretched, crappy world where all the people are ignorant, filthy and full of extreme hatred.

Sure the 2nd Witcher has better graphics and inventory but overall I just feel the first Witcher was much better, in every way, quests, mini games were done better, alchemy and so was the story. Witcher 2 the story is too political and I find a heavy emphasis on political stuff rather boring.

Though I reccomend playing both paths as it gives you slightly different access to each area, different quests, information, characters and choices.

I played Iorveth's path first and then Roche's and I enjoyed playing through Roche's path much more, I found it more interesting.

But overall I'd class this as a shallow action game that wants to be a movie as well, that pretends to be deep, but fails and falls short. This is a overhyped game that does not deserve the praise it gets.

I guess I've been spoiled by the massive epic exploration Skyrim offers and The Witcher 2 isn't even half that, just 3 towns to explore. *yawn

At least I know now that Witcher isn't very good for what I want in an RPG. Sure some may love it, but it's not my cup of tea. And from watching gameplay of Witcher 3 I can see it's more of the same or worse. With lengthy cutscenes and Geralt's character model now looks very ugly.

I prefer RPG's like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, which has a lot of depth, choice, exploration and you can be whoever you can imagine.

This game is more for those who like a light action oriented RPG with a limited set character, than those who like a deep, open RPG with more freedom, seemingly endless choices and character builds that can vary a lot.
  53. Jun 1, 2011
    As a hardcore Dragon Age Origins fan I hate to say this but... I suggest you buy the Witcher 2 instead of Dragon Age 2. The Witcher 2 is without a doubt a if not; THE top contender for the best RPG of the year. The developers has actually spent time developing and designing this sequel unlike those lazy bastards of BioWare and Witcher 2 is truly a great game. I suggest picking this gameAs a hardcore Dragon Age Origins fan I hate to say this but... I suggest you buy the Witcher 2 instead of Dragon Age 2. The Witcher 2 is without a doubt a if not; THE top contender for the best RPG of the year. The developers has actually spent time developing and designing this sequel unlike those lazy bastards of BioWare and Witcher 2 is truly a great game. I suggest picking this game up anyday. Expand
  54. Sep 9, 2015
    Upon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn'tUpon reading and hearing so much positives about The Witcher 2, finally got my hands on the game for less than $10 on Steam sale. Booted it up, played the game on max setting. Omg, the graphics looks stunning. And... that's pretty much the good thing about it... I played for about 3 hours or slightly more and I just couldn't continue. In that 3 hours there were so many things that I didn't like and I'm going to list them here.

Granted, the biggest mistake I made (and I know people are going to tell me it's my own fault) is that I played it using mouse+keyboard, I know, I'm sorry but I don't have a controller. Therefore controls seems very clunky and playing a 3rd person game without a controller is just... it's unnatural. So if I can't enjoy the gameplay , what's the point in playing.
    Secondly, the menu.... ehm.... it's so old school and difficult to navigate that you just can't be bothered to go through it.
    Third, why are we given a fixed character in open-world rpg? In the Wither 2 you are forced to play as this old man, stereotypical and just feels weird playing as him. I just can't get attached to the main character. Not gonna spend hours looking at this old man.
    Finally, ok it's open-world, but nothing to do!! What the heck?? It's actually a rather linear game. The game wants you to p[lay it a certain way. it's wants you to fight a certain way... I know it's story-driven, but please refer to point 3. I'm not interested.

Doesn't matter how good the graphics are, or how big the game is. The fact is, I just don't like it. It's linear, it's not challenging, it doesn't require you to think or be creative.. just fight, boring cutscene starring old man, move to next point and fight again. Rinse and repeat. I know it's just $10, but I regreted it dearly =( FAIL!!
  55. May 31, 2014
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    An EPIC journey !
    Gameplay, graphics and story all are on equal level of epicness.
    It's no shame to say that Witcher 2 is the GREATEST RPG game created so far. This is not a game, it is an epic adventure to live through. I am proud to be Polish because Polish people created the Witcher. Zero major flaws, great replay value (no kidding, middle of the game is entirely diffrent depending on your choices) FREE DLCs for everyone (take notes EA games!). The only flaws are very minor problems with some locations and quests, but these are kinda unavoidable because of the project scale and present in every big RPG that came out in recent years.
    The only flaw is the combat which looks a bit ridiculous at times, and the fact that the game's world isn't really that open.
    If you don't own it yet, you are seriously missing out on a great adventure.
  56. May 22, 2011
    At first I was disapointed with the fighting mechanics and poor tutorial but then I realized what a wonderful RPG this game is! Fantastic game!
    + STORY
    + DIALOGS + MUSIC + WORLD AND CHARACTER DESIGN + non-linearity + GUI estetics + map window and journal + short loading times - VERY DIFFICULT - low responsiveness - fighting mechanics - TUTORIAL - AI bugs - waiting for dead opponents to
    + STORY
    + DIALOGS
    + MUSIC
    + WORLD AND CHARACTER DESIGN
    + non-linearity
    + GUI estetics
    + map window and journal
    + short loading times

- VERY DIFFICULT
    - low responsiveness
    - fighting mechanics
    - TUTORIAL
    - AI bugs
    - waiting for dead opponents to disappear in order to harvest them...?!
  57. Aug 25, 2015
    The original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it backThe original Witcher was a fantastic game. It took all the fairies and unicorns out of fantasy rpg’s and brought us a gritty world filled with sex, war, hypocrisy, and racism. The game is based on the novels of a Polish author. So the Witcher doesn’t lack for story. In fact, it excels at storytelling and immersion. But it is incredibly broken. Janky mechanics and numerous bugs held it back from mainstream success. When the Witcher 2 was announced, fans eagerly expected developers to address these bugs while bringing a gigantic, epic world filled with intrigue and monster slaying. By its tepid reception, we know fans felt the developers fell short on those expectations. The W2 is not bad. However, is suffers from an identity crisis.

Most gamers agree that the W2 is a remarkably gorgeous game. It uses the DX9 api, which also powered the original Crysis. And it’s extremely demanding on higher settings. But the game is best enjoyed maxed out so players can fully enjoy the lush environs and meticulously detailed mountains on the horizon. But it isn’t well optimized. Fps drops are normal and it stutters every few minutes (or seconds) as new textures are loaded in. W2 has odd visual quirks too. Shadows and facial features are pixelated. It’s downright distracting at times. A graphic’s option called ubersampling will eliminate that, but it’s too demanding. Players are better leaving ubersampling off and maxing out everything else.

Although graphics are a huge improvement over the original, the story is a step back. The campaign is better than haters claim. The problems lie in the side quests. There are only a handful, and they are easy to complete. There are few monsters to slay. Few caves to explore. And no water nymphs to romance. The story’s focus on politics is well-done, but it’s too heavy-handed. CD Projekt created a gorgeous world with nothing to do except slog thru a campaign. Sure, there are choices to be made. But only a few have noticeable impact. Players can import their saves from the first Witcher. However, the bonuses from this are slight.

Combat sucks namely since the targeting system that is broken. Enemies will be directly in front of Geralt, but no target appears. The tutorial says to adjust the camera to target new enemies. That doesn’t work. So players will have to swing their swords or cast spells blindly. Although spells have the same names and characteristics as those in the original Witcher, developers dumped their AOE’s. This would make sense, if the targeting system worked. As a result, Geralt casts puny looking spells that don’t hit their intended targets.

But combat sucks for other reasons too. W2 also wedges in QTE’s. Why this annoying convention keeps poking its ugly head into games is beyond me. Do developers even listen? Boxing and some boss fights rely on QTE’s to succeed. Even certain dialogue options require on split second timing. W2 also forces gamers to play as other characters who are completely stripped of all Geralt’s abilities they’ve worked so hard to obtain. These conventions are ever more common, and players absolutely hate them. I bought the Witcher to play as the Witcher! I don’t want to play as a weak ass spy, a dead soldier, or fat king.

Other problems with combat result from the restrictive leveling and limited move sets. Instead of the appreciated complexity of the original, W2 “simplifies” upgrade paths. Again, another convention of mass market games. As a result, combat in W2 is downgraded into a button mashing fest. It’s not as fun, and wholly repetitive. One problem carried over from the original is close quarters fights—a bunch of enemies crammed into a tiny room. W2’s broken combat mechanics means these battles are frustrating—just like for first game. And if there is a fight immediately after a video scene, Geralt will have already taken damage before players get to control him. On harder difficulties he endures massive damage before the fights even start.

Other issues with W2 include illegible maps (and mini maps) making objectives hard to find. Inventory management is a bit confusing. Lots of loot is inaccessible. There are few rewards for exploration and limited dialogue outside the main quest.

Lastly, the Witcher’s soundtrack was highly regarded. Unfortunately, the Witcher 2 failed to live up to that legacy as well. Instead, players are given a generic, forgettable score.

Despite 11gb of updates, W2 lacks polish. Combat and exploration, which should be 2 of its biggest focuses, are actually the biggest drawbacks. The developers took steps backwards in areas where they shouldn’t, such as story. And they failed to effectively push forward in areas that needed the most work, like combat. So the best elements of the Witcher devolved while the broken parts remained broken. If W2 didn’t look so damn good, I’m certain its scores would’ve been much lower. For Witcher fans, this game is worth playing. But other rpg fans look elsewhere.
  58. May 17, 2011
    They should remove that rating from that incompetent gamer!!! It is impossible to give a game like this a 0!!! Thats like saying that barbie performed better than this awesome title!!! This game will definitely be nomintated for goty!!! Perfection is all I can say!!!
  59. Dec 31, 2011
    The Witcher 2 has some key design failures. The inventory system is as bad as Oblivion. the fighting style is still limited to a steel sword(or whatever else) and a silver sword, and the game plays more like a hack & slash type combat plus rolling around .I do like they add traps and throwing-weapons, which will make the game significant easier when facing large crowd of monsters orThe Witcher 2 has some key design failures. The inventory system is as bad as Oblivion. the fighting style is still limited to a steel sword(or whatever else) and a silver sword, and the game plays more like a hack & slash type combat plus rolling around .I do like they add traps and throwing-weapons, which will make the game significant easier when facing large crowd of monsters or long-range enemies, but I think they should bring group sword style back or add more fight styles, because for a RPG combat, you should provide the gamer as many different approaches as possible, not limiting the combat styles. some of stupid boss fights QTEs makes the game's combat even frustrating. The witcher 2's narrative resembles most good RPGs but not very innovate, at beginning it utilize a frame narrative similar to Alpha protocol to help you to get into the story. the dialogs and interactive scenes are also presented in a similar way like mass effect, they also add some time based dialog choices, but those are nothing new. On the good side though, this game has a very strong story line with significant branching. you can expect to face a couple of hard decisions. Since I do not really have a high-end graphic card, so can not experience the extraordinary graphics of the witcher 2. I am running the game on 8800GTX , the game still looks fine on low-setting. I had about 30 frame rate, but saying this game has been perfectly crafted is overrated. you will experience a lot of lag for loading when you are running around, and the game does freeze or suddenly shut down at times. Expand
  60. Apr 18, 2012
    Very cinematographic and deep story telling. Gameplay is really enhanced since the first game, being this one less linear and with a pretty good system of dialogue choices. Geralt is better portrayed and the graphic quality and artistic direction have made this game the title with probably the best environments ever! To me, this game is a must have. I will give it a 9/10.
  61. May 1, 2015
    After playing through this game many times and viewing the game in its entirety, I realized how much
    CD Projekt Red has gone downhill as a game developer and it doesn't make me look forward to Witcher 3, AT ALL.
    I want to go on record, and say I am all for their GOG, DRM-Free business model regarding PC games, which is where I got my copy of Witcher 2 and all my PC games. 3D Vision

3D Vision Review: This is for those of us like me out there locked into Nvidia's 3D Vision solution, which I prefer to the idiotic notion of playing a game in what I call "photosphere mode" others want to call it virtual reality. I prefer 3D, where things have an amazing depth and actual realness to them, versus the "photosphere mode" being hyped up, because unlike 3D, is all hype compared to 3D, I want to experience the game with extreme 3D depth and smoothness at 120hz per eye, not play the game in a "photosphere mode". In fact, I can't wait for the true 240hz 3D monitors where we get to play the game in 3D with 120hz to each eye with some upgraded 3D glasses. Okay, rant over. This title is Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. My own personal experience with it is that it is great, there's a wonderful sense of 3D Depth at all times when playing in 3D mode, especially with depth and convergence settings set how I want. This is made better by the high quality audio the game has, the environmental sounds are good, the people sound like real people and the music is okay, I'm not a big fan of it, it's just okay to me but it is very high quality.

Gameplay/Story Review: It's a action RPG with a few major dialogue choices here and there, you can interact with everyone but only a few npcs serve a purpose, like merchants and major npcs. It's supposed to be a game world of making choices, but there's no way to go your own way, I personally didn't care for being forced to go Roche's path or Iorveth's path. You can customize Geralt's look somewhat, and there a few armor choices here and there. Not to mention you can't get rid of characters you don't like and change the story, you're forced (once again) to play by the games twisted rules of letting obviously evil characters go, in many cases. There are only a few instances in which you can get rid of the obviously evil characters. I would have preferred more freedom to change the story. It is comparable to a corridor shooter, in that there are very limited choices on where you can go and what you can do and you must go the way the game tells you to with an extremely limited degree of control, which is not what an RPG should be doing. Potions should be able to taken whenever you want, not just during meditation. To me the story is needlessly complicated. I would have preferred if it was more focused. The first glaring flaw that sticks out to me, is that somehow Geralt is being blamed for what happens to King Foltest at the beginning, because there were no witnesses, one simple question for that, is why don't I have the choice to wait for Roche, so Roche can go with me? or better yet, why not wait for Roche to bring along a few Blue Stripes? This comes up a lot, I can think of many situations in the game, where I think out loud, why can't I say no? It makes sense, but no, there is a scripted narrative I must follow, despite how little sense it makes to do so.

Basically, the entire game is scripted in advance, its like playing a modern take on the PC games of old, the point and click interactive movies with digitized or real scenes which also didn't give you much choices either. This game has multiple endings but so do some of those really old point and click games. The areas you get to explore are little more than just pretty scenery, sometimes there's some enemies or a new quest, but you are locked down to a grid. I expect I will feel the same way when I play Witcher 3, which won't happen until I can buy the fully patched game with all DLCs.

2 out of 5, for the great 3D Vision, sound, graphics and the Red Kit SDK. Everything else is just bad and brings the score down a lot.

I do appreciate them providing us with the Red Kit SDK along with this game.
    I hope they provide us with the updated SDK with the release of Witcher 3 and I hope Witcher 3 is a much better game, but like I said, I'm not buying it until I can buy it fully patched and with all of its DLC added in.
  62. Jan 8, 2015
    Is the game good? Yes. It's a flawed gem of a game and one that could well have been one of the best RPG's ever made, if it wasn't for one thing: the combat. The combat is either shallow and dreadfully easy on "Easy", or absolutely impossible on "Normal". "Normal" is really hard mode and they need another difficulty in-between.

Putting that aside, pretty much everything else in the game

Putting that aside, pretty much everything else in the game is good. Graphically it looks very pretty when maxed out for a game this old.

Having never played Witcher 1, I found it's not very beginner friendly with regards to the story - but then I kind of expected that anyway. Nevertheless, if you have not played the previous game, expect to be confused... a lot. When you finally get your head round it you will find it has significant depth and is highly engaging.

Your companions all have back stories of their own and they are well fleshed out. Not many games have had me caring for characters I have only spent a minimal amount of time with in game, but this one got me!

The RPG elements are solid and allow for quite a bit of customisation. It has an interesting potion mechanic, based on your "toxicity level", so you can't just swig every potion you have before a fight.

So, all in all, it's a good game. It could have been brilliant if a few issues were resolved. Regardless of which, it has made me want to get Witcher 3 this February, so consider me hooked!

Jimbo Rating: 7/10
  63. Dec 30, 2016
    Est juego mejora bastante el sistema de lucha y a pesar de que achica el arbol de habilidades a la hora de subir de nivel, no lo simplifica, pues tiene gran cantidad de contenido para armar a tu brujo como mas te guste.
    Es un gran juego en todos los aspectos, y si hay una razon por la cual no le doy un 10, es porque pide demasiada placa de video, es cierto que tiene una calidad grafica muy destacable, pero estoy seguro de que pide mas placa de video de la que en verdad necesita.
  64. Oct 4, 2012
    If you love fantasy action role-playing games his is the game for you, with grit and lore from Andrzej Sapkowski work and CD Projekt RED being a fan friendly company even throwing in the upgrade to Enhanced Edition for free when most bigger companies would charge a fee its worth the buy.
  65. Feb 29, 2016
    Slightly shorter then the first Witcher yet more satisfying. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings expands off the first game evolving in many ways and creating a more enjoyable game. Ill cover some of the positive changes and some negative ones through the review while also covering the topics I generally do.

Story: Spanning over 3 chapters and a Epilogue you are continuing off the ending of the Witcher. Each chapter is perfectly paced, but takes a huge drop on the amount of quests. Compared to the first game having numerous contracts and side quests to contend with the main story, you only have 3-4 side quests each chapter. With the downside of lacking side material, the main story is involving enough for it to not really matter. Making you want to keep pushing the main story forward. Along the story you are presented with a handful of choices giving the series a boost to replay value.

Gameplay: Have to throw first mention to the combat overhaul. A completely different combat system to the first game, yet it infuriates me. Combat has such a difficulty curve from the start. You are presented with all these options of different signs but only 1 stands out above the rest and becomes the only viable option if you wish to push on. Shield and roll, roll roll roll and roll. You also have to be mindful when rolling because you can block yourself into a corner and be destroyed into oblivion. At one point I was fighting a golem and had it one hit away from death, a miss judged roll landed me into a corner and the stoned behemoth did a rush attack into me and kept me there. Slamming my face into the ground over and over again. Was not pretty.
    Alchemy, potions, herbs, crafting. All that is present again for the Witcher to indulge in but you are restricted to a inventory weight limit. Things stack up quickly and prevent you from hoarding materials. Having to meditate before you can drink potions was aggravating. Couple of situations when I needed that vitality boost and couldn't use my stash in combat.
    Arm wrestling = Stupid. Dice Poker = Fun. They also changed how the fist fighting works. No longer is it challenging and fun. It now switched to a simply one button command when prompted, removing any sense of difficulty. Granted the moves Geralt performs during the fights are entertaining to watch.
  66. Xon
    Feb 6, 2013
    All hail the Witcher!
    All hail the Witcher!
    Behold a game made by gamers for gamers. There is meticulous carre given to every inch of this game, the makers willing you on to have the time of your life. This game was made to be enjoyed and cherished. In every sense of the word a love letter to games. The company behind it not wasting time on finding new ways of milking people that already bought the game, but thinking of ways to give them more bang for their buck.
  67. Apr 21, 2013
    This grade is mostly for the UI overhaul and removal of ISO camera. Anyone who gets motion sickness avoid this game, the 2 ISO cams from the original game are gone. You're going to get stuck with the annoying over the shoulder cam (even the widescreen mod isn't a massive improvement). They redid pretty much everything about the UI for this game, needed for the additions but more clunkyThis grade is mostly for the UI overhaul and removal of ISO camera. Anyone who gets motion sickness avoid this game, the 2 ISO cams from the original game are gone. You're going to get stuck with the annoying over the shoulder cam (even the widescreen mod isn't a massive improvement). They redid pretty much everything about the UI for this game, needed for the additions but more clunky than the original. Story is still solid, gameplay pretty much the same with some slightly more complex options added (traps/thrown weapons). The the cam isn't an issue and you liked the first no reason not to grab it. Expand
  68. Apr 29, 2014
    This series has always obeyed the 'more' philosophy. It's more in story, more in gameplay, more in graphics and that philosophy, unfortunately, is it's downfall. It does too much for it's own good and comes out boring & stodgy.
    ===========
    HOW I RATE: 10-9 score: perfect or near-perfect don't exist; 8 score: one of the best games ever. Top score; 7-6 score: great but not one of the best;
    ===========
  69. Nov 28, 2011
    In one word: stunning. In a few more: the greatest game of 2011. The saddest part is so many people will skip playing it purely because it doesn't fall within their limited preconceptions of what sort of game they want to play, yet it is these people that could gain so much by playing it. Play it. Love it. Cherish it. PC gaming has never been so good. Arcanum and Planescape: TormentIn one word: stunning. In a few more: the greatest game of 2011. The saddest part is so many people will skip playing it purely because it doesn't fall within their limited preconceptions of what sort of game they want to play, yet it is these people that could gain so much by playing it. Play it. Love it. Cherish it. PC gaming has never been so good. Arcanum and Planescape: Torment lookout. This series has it's eyes fixated on severly knocking on the door and boldly proclaiming that it is possible to beat nostalgia and you don't need a crowbar to do it. Expand
  70. CBZ
    May 20, 2011
    First of all, I'm not a fan of RPGs. This said, I absolutely love this game.
    To summarize what many others have already said, it offers great graphics, well written and engaging story and an incredibly fun gameplay. This will be with no doubts, game of the year, and it will be very hard to make a better game in the next few years.
    Its a must have.
  71. Feb 24, 2014
    The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions,The Witcher 2 is one of very few games I'd give a 10/10. It improves on its predecessor dramatically, while retaining what was good about it. Combat system is incredibly versatile. It's literally the only RPG I've played where I didn't just prefer and concentrate on one aspect of the combat (such as physical sword/shield or Magic). No, in this game I used regular sword combat, potions, bombs, traps, AND signs. Some battles were tough enough that you had to get creative and think beforehand, which is awesome and exactly how a strategic RPG should play out. I heard that some people complained about the steep learning curve. While I didn't personally have a problem with it playing on dark difficulty, that's perhaps because I was introduced to the series with The Witcher. I've played TW2 both with a m/k setup, and with a controller. As a rule for all but RTS games, I usually prefer a controller, but this game plays well either way. Graphics are gorgeous, though a few lighting elements are slightly annoying.

Where this game really shines is the mature story and character relationships/personas. Choices actually matter and have great impact (I mean, the game completely diverges for a third of the game based on one choice).

Overall, a fantastic game for anyone who loves story-driven RPGs.
  72. Dec 23, 2016
    Still a great game almost 6 years later. Has its age and limitations, but in the atmosphere, storyline, character design and things like that, it is unmatched, even by Witcher 3 that did many great things but many strange things too. Witcher 2 is more consistent and polished. Definitely one of those games I will always remember and come back to them once per few years with a smile on face.
  73. Jun 25, 2011
    This game has a lot of positives but also negatives that go with each one. It handles the story and nudity very maturely and has a great world filled with interesting lore and creatures. The fact you really get no new spells or anything is pretty boring and can be a major put-off. The spells you do get are limited and only some of them are useful. I found myself using the shield abilityThis game has a lot of positives but also negatives that go with each one. It handles the story and nudity very maturely and has a great world filled with interesting lore and creatures. The fact you really get no new spells or anything is pretty boring and can be a major put-off. The spells you do get are limited and only some of them are useful. I found myself using the shield ability 70% of the time. This has nothing to do with play-style, but since fights put 3 guys against you who all attack at the same time and who can infinitely block and chain attack you, it is a must. The fire was useless and the mind control didn't even work when I used it. The combat seems great but has many flaws. They make blocking use the same bar as spells, which starts off with only 2 uses and doesn't regenerate fast enough. This means when your opponents can keep attacking and blocking, you really can't play defensive or offensive. They can block and counter or if u try to block you can only do it 2 times before starting to get hit. They should have made block separate. Some would say that is why the "roll" is there but usually it is too slow and doesn't really put you in a good position to counter. It is almost like they don't want you to be able to defend yourself. What RPG makes all your spells take 1/2 or 1/3 of your mana bar? None, because it is stupid and makes the game not as much fun, as there is too much time running around waiting for it to recharge. Then there is the graphics. They are beautiful but require too much to run them. With my top-of-the-line comp I was only able to run most things, and even those on medium settings and still with texture problems. This could be a major put-off for most. The biggest problem is the difficulty. I started out with "hard" and having been a gamer my whole life and playing most games on hard, I was appalled by how this setting was. Everything 2-3 hit you, which made the lack of defense even harder. That mixed with the crowds who could juggle you and it was too much. I would spend 1 hour replaying boss fights as well as random mobs. "Hard" shouldn't mean making the computer overpowered or making you every 30 min have to replay a part over and over for an hour. That;s not difficult, its just aggravating and time consuming. It doesn't challenge you, it just asks you to be flawless or get really lucky. Especially because you can't take potions in combat (why did they think this was a good idea) which means there is no healing yourself. If they would have included a sign that would be ok, but they didn't. This all comes to a head with the save system. I applaud the use of the quicksave, but then you cannot use it in battle, the time when it makes most sense. Since this is already too hard in combat, you should be able to save your progress, but you can't. This means you have to go the entire fight perfectly or after 5 min of a boss fight where you almost kill him but make one error you are forced to replay the entire thing again. I would like the ability to save after I kill each member of a party in battle, due to how unfair it already is that you are facing a party. This makes it seem like a glorified checkpoint system. But other than these glaring weakness and botched ideas, there is a good game at heart. I think it has to due with a wonky way of thinking in Europe how an RPG should be. Expand
  74. Aug 10, 2011
    My problem with this game is this: I like it too much. The game is so awesome, now I have read people saying that it doesn't have the charm that TW1 does. To me, it is the opposite, I bought TW1 in spring, before TW2 came out. I played it, since I could get it rather cheaply, to see if I could enjoy the combat system (it is rather unique for an RPG). I thought that it was ok, but I haveMy problem with this game is this: I like it too much. The game is so awesome, now I have read people saying that it doesn't have the charm that TW1 does. To me, it is the opposite, I bought TW1 in spring, before TW2 came out. I played it, since I could get it rather cheaply, to see if I could enjoy the combat system (it is rather unique for an RPG). I thought that it was ok, but I have only 3 hours logged in TW1. I have 28 hours in TW2, and they just keep rolling in.
    I will say what I dislike: I dislike the fact that it crashes sometimes, sometimes when finishing dialogue I get a black screen, sometimes my char doesn't do what I tell him to do (controls could use some work). None of those dislikes matter one bit though. I keep wanting more, I keep wanting to play more, I keep trying to figure out ways to get the graphics to look even better than they do (to me its a game that needs to be played as maxed out as possible, because it is gorgeous). I have been able to run it at max settings without uber sampling, by tweaking windows settings and such. The game is jaw droppingly beautiful. It has a distinctly RP feel to it, and you quickly get caught up in the story and all of its intricacies.

I think the best way I can put this is like this: I played TW1 and decided that TW1 and 2 was probably not for me, no harm down. I later on bought TW2 and have played it extensively since, I have decided that this game is exactly a game for me, I have also decided to try and delve deeper into the story by playing TW1 (get a save game for TW2 and then play TW2 AGAIN! hehe), and quite possibly buying the books too.

10/10 from me.
  75. Jun 29, 2015
    - Good: Writing, Story, Atmosphere, Setting, Characters, Flotsam, Side quests
    - Mixed: Gameplay, Soundtrack, Boss fights
    - Bad: UI

I like more first Witcher, but this game is still very very solid.
  76. May 19, 2011
    I'm basing this review on the back of around 6 hours of play. I have an above average PC with a 5770 ATI card which is no slouch and should be able to play most recent releases with a good framerate so long as I don't expect to have full on graphic settings. However, even with everything set to their lowest settings and almost every nicety disabled, I can barely get a steady framerateI'm basing this review on the back of around 6 hours of play. I have an above average PC with a 5770 ATI card which is no slouch and should be able to play most recent releases with a good framerate so long as I don't expect to have full on graphic settings. However, even with everything set to their lowest settings and almost every nicety disabled, I can barely get a steady framerate above 30.....I'm not alone and plenty of ATI and some Nvidia users are experiencing the same...So, that is an initial disappointment, on to the game itself.....The first Witcher (enhanced version) was a great game, very much open world and you could explore a lot whilst working on the quests....W2 claims to offer the same but doesn't deliver as almost everything is linear, with the sidequests tagged on which themselves don't allow you to go exploring.....In fact, the only real exploring you can do is within the towns and villages you visit during your way to main objectives.....The loot drops are extremely clumsy to pick up and you find yourself running back and forth and constantly trying to get the camera into a position so that you can highlight the drops and pick them up.....The inventory screen is a nightmare to work and even with the physical premium edition I have with it's manual and game guide won't help you figure out how to properly control the game screens.....As for combat, this is a bit of a step backwards from the first game with no real combo's to talk of, just normal hit and hard hit with a kind of "special move" kill should you manage to stun an opponent to make it trigger......There are certain events like barfights and some interactive cutscenes that involve you needing to press a series of keys or buttons (for controllers) which threw me back to the days of good old Shenmue, but even these are lacklustre in design, and are far too easy to beat on the normal difficulty setting. The only pleasure in combat is that the difficulty is really quite tough and some fights will require you to redo them a couple of times, which is almost unheard of in most of todays easy-mode RPGs......In summary, for me there are too many cutscenes, too much talking and not enough action. Maybe a few patches down the line Witcher 2 can achieve a standard which the developers reached with the re-worked first edition. But it sure needs new GFX card drivers and/or work to optimize it for gamers who have components up to a couple of years old. The game looks ok, but it's still using DX9, and in today's age, it really shouldn't be difficult to get a good framrate (I consider 60fps a benchmark) for people like myself with a 3.0ghz Quad core CPU, 4gb RAM, 64bit W7 and a 5770ATI card. ----- Needs Work - - 6/10, would give 8/10 if it ran nicely. Expand
  77. Jun 19, 2015
    One of the best looking games I have ever played. Crysis tier graphics combined with gameplay that is far more engaging than the first witcher game make this one of the best games I've played in recent years.

The story takes a moment to get going but once it does it never slows down. True to the first game in the series you can still bang hookers, get drunk and gamble your money away. But unlike the first game, the combat is far more complex.

In combat it is similar to dark souls in the sense that you have a light attack, strong attack, and can roll to dodge attacks. There are more difficulty levels and there is actual coordination involved instead of just knowing potions/stances to use at a certain time. On top of the swordplay there are bombs and traps you can craft and purchase, traps being sort of a niche item that I ended up not using much. All in all the combat is a lot of fun and far less tedious than the first game. The only thing about this game I didn't care for was you are unable to drink potions in the midst of combat.

A lot of old friends show up in the second game, there is a definite sense of continuity, largely because the end of the first game carries right over into the major conflict of the second. Once again Geralt carefully trying to stay on the edge of politics, yet someone is always dragging him into it.

This game takes almost everything that the Witcher had and makes it better. While some people may be turned off by the lack of a character creator, the story this game has to tell of Geralt the Witcher is far more interesting than the nameless self-insert the RPG industry is usually prone to these days.

Near perfect with lots of different ways to play and level, plus a combat arena mini game if you want to just fight waves of monsters over and over.
  78. Jun 10, 2013
    I was never into fantasy games but, this series caught me, I like the characters and all the background stories of them.

It's a beautiful game, but I cannot overlook the technical issues: you need to delete old saves or else it slows down loading times. It randomly crashes once in a while. I have to use JoyToKey to add inventory screen to the "back" button on the 360 pad. I need to force Anisotropic filtering trough driver, etc.

Also, the beginning is a bit too hard and might put off some players, while they shouldn't stop at the prologue, because this is a fantastic game despite it's flaws.
  79. Jul 9, 2011
    Not as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first partNot as good as the first part IMHO, but still a very good game. Basically I'd like it to be slightly longer and not have certain inconsistencies and sudden jumps of the plot. Love the new fighting system, graphics are awesome, most parts of the game glue you to the screen. There are no more issues with having to fight the drowned dead all the time, which was irritating in the first part (per game mechanics and there constant respawning regardless of yout level, shouldn't they just run away?). Some memorable characters, primarily Roche. On the down side, I really wished that more characters were more develped in this game. Expand
  80. gas
    Nov 30, 2011
    Im going to update my rating from 6/10 to 7/10 for the 2.0 patch relase.

This is my past review talking about the first release: Dont get me wrong, i think this game is quite good at the end, i personally trust in CDP as developer, they did a great job patching and improving the witcher 1, proving they aim to be a solid company for their customers. Im not talking about bugs here because
    Im going to update my rating from 6/10 to 7/10 for the 2.0 patch relase.

This is my past review talking about the first release:
    Dont get me wrong, i think this game is quite good at the end, i personally trust in CDP as developer, they did a great job patching and improving the witcher 1, proving they aim to be a solid company for their customers. Im not talking about bugs here because actually even with 1.1 patch the game is full of them, but we know everything possible will be fixed later on. CDP did a huge step forward with this release with the introduction of a new and great engine, but there are many opinable if not poor decisions about developing different aspects of the game. There is a very poor design of all the menus (inventory, crafting system, trading etc) and a gameplay too much script based, really limiting the freedom, in many occasions the game plays like an interactive movie as don bluth dragon's lair, not sure how some ppl can see an rpg masterpiece in this mess. The new engine is one of the best if not the best around, the game even at mid video setting looks impressive. The music and the audio effects are excellent, anyway most of the npcs are repeating to death the same statement every 5 seconds when you stand near them, which is really really annoying. The combat system is different from wt1, now its full real time and its developed to be played with a joypad more then keyboard+mouse, anyway it works fine and its fun and interesting as idea. There are ranged weapons like throwing knives (actually op) and bombs, many different traps to place on floor, the possibility to parry (and counterattack if you have the proper talent), the signs to add more depth. Overall the combat system is fun and nice, it relays a lot on the user skill and i think the result is quite good. Anyway after some time you will see some issues in this system cause the best tactic at the end is always rolling on the floor like a madman and strike when you can, in many occasions it seems just an hack'n'slash, but i return to tell, the combat system has his ups and downs, but overall its good. On a side note the use of the potions is different from wt1, you need to drink the potions out of combat, so you should prepare yourself before a fight, too bad this system obviously works only if you know in advance if you are going to be involved in a fight, wich is possible only with a die-and-reload-gameplay. Bad choice tbh, as potions should be part of the withcer combat arsenal and in this game you will end to use potions only after you died in a fight to repeat it with a little help, also the pots lasts too little and you will end to use them marginally. The story may be appealing itself but if you played tw1 and you know what happened before it make no sense at all in many circumstances, the problem is how the story is implemented in the game, and especially the fact Gerald seems always without the knowledge of any important event, person, situation, that should be part of his background. I will not go specific here to avoid spoilers but just the fact that Gerald starts as level 1 character having issues to beat even the most crap solider, without the knowledge of any monster is totally in contrast with any possible prelude to this plot. The gameplay is action based, heavily cinematic and deeply scripted, with a very limited freedom in interaction and exploration, and short dialogues with very limited choices. The looting system is not really user friendly, its hard to position Gerald to pick up items, also the window is very tiny and you cant scale it. The inventory system and the menu in general are the weak part of this game, you cant sort junk from all the rest, so you need to pass the whole inventory list looking every line one by one to check what is junk and what not, what to buy or sell. there is not the possibility to sort the schematics resulting in a huge list of potions, upgrades, crafting sheets etc with no possibility even to sort them alphabetically. There is not any customization and even if the game was a console port i think its possible to do something better then this. Trading and alchemy suffers the same issue. What you can carry is based on weights, the game is full of different ingredients, patterns, items in general and you will see soon that what you can carry is quite limited, so at a point you will end to continue go back and forth to sell items or just you will leave most of the loot on the floor. Mini games should be cut out. I think this game is a great title under some aspects, but its really lacking in others. Tbh even if this was announced as an rpg made for pc, the feeling is to play a console oriented game. This game plays more similar to console action games then any rpg, its oki CDP wanted to implement something more modern into a genre maybe a bit redundant, but the result seems looking more to the console market then the expectations of the rpg players.
  81. Sep 14, 2011
    The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes,The game was not special in my opinion and had countless flaws, oblivion and mass effect are much better. Pros: The games graphics are very good... yeah and that is where it all ends. Cons: The games difficulty variability is plainly retarded, being the most difficult in the prologue of the game as well as two of the bosses. The game's combat is shallow, all you do is time your strikes, alternate between heavy and light attacks, and use the Quen spell all the time as you pretty much have to do this in order to stay alive on hard difficulty or higher, there is no strategy with any of the enemies besides being patient and rolling all the time while giving a strike here and there only later when one is stronger can one be more straight forward. The game goes way too textbook fantasy, elves blah blah, dwarves blah blah, generic enemies we have all seen done better in other games. Also the cursing and the sexual connotations become tedious very quickly. One of the biggest problems was that there are so many useless things put into this game, the 5 other spells i didn't use because they were simply USEless, the potions and bombs etc. that could be created were never used except 1 type of bomb in the beginning called the grapeshot. The game is not very big at all, there are only two main locations where one spends 95% of the game time the other 5% is in the beginning and end.Lets also mention the very dumb AI and annoying glitches where the game restricts movement, i was also unable to finish 1 of the secondary quests due to a glitch and i felt this game was an unfinished product. Finally i simply found the characters bland, boring,generic, uninteresting, yeah do i need to use any more synonyms. Lastly the story was just nothing special and had in my opinion a bad ending. a mediocre 6.5/10. Expand
  82. May 19, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an Excellent game! Expands the story very well and the overall combat is much more fun to master than its predecessor. Its also great to see that developer puts so much care into its product and still give the hardcore pc gamers what they want.
  83. Jun 7, 2011
    I have really enjoyed playing this game surprisingly as I didn't enjoy The Witcher 1 very much. My poor computer has struggled to run this game on the lowest settings and don't get me started on how long it takes to escape to menu screen but apart from those problems I have enjoyed myself a lot. I really loved the many choices with lots of different consequences.

I loved the love scene

I loved the love scene with Triss, so romantic (sigh) I am so pleased there is so much replay value in trying to see what happens when I make this choice and so on...

Im going to score this higher than dragon age 2, even though Im really a Bioware fan I think the team that made The Witcher 2 did a much better job than the team that did DA2.

I love the detail in the armours and dresses, they are beautifully designed and really look practical and classy. The crafting is fun and my only problem is I wish i had some sort of money cheat as I would love to be able to buy everything I see in the shops! :D

Oh and the story is really good too. I think everyone should try this game out, its a lot of fun!
  84. Sep 17, 2011
    I'm fan of Witcher 1 and after the first reviews of assassins of Kings i was sure it will be perfect score. not this time. i compared this game to prodecessor and i found too many missing elements. Where's trophy monsters? Where's interesting NPC's out of main city? Where's length which was in first game? But there's not all - where's breath-taking ending, which was in original Witcher?I'm fan of Witcher 1 and after the first reviews of assassins of Kings i was sure it will be perfect score. not this time. i compared this game to prodecessor and i found too many missing elements. Where's trophy monsters? Where's interesting NPC's out of main city? Where's length which was in first game? But there's not all - where's breath-taking ending, which was in original Witcher? huge dissapointment. Expand
  85. Nov 14, 2017
    ENG
    ENG
    With this part I met Geralt of Rivia. For me, this game made a huge impression and I instantly liked the game and characters previously unknown to me, since the original source was not familiar. 2011 it was a breakthrough in terms of graphics, it was juicy, rich, was added to the filter color that is rarely seen in games, though sometimes very cut and beat the eyes, too overexposed picture. Good music, colorful and most importantly memorable characters, some branches passing over different sides of the conflict, so that the first passage all the picture to see fail. Interesting and intricate plot, in this part, has been completely put on the policy. Disclosure of certain events from the first part, more information about "the wild hunt(gun)". And perhaps the coolest part, which provides us with not only old friends, but true friends, companions and our second half (so to speak). Exciting journey, an intriguing story, sincere characters, good jokes and funny situations and that's not all that awaits the one who will hit the road in search of the Assasins of Kings.
    RU
    Именно с этой части я и познакомился с Геральтом из Ривии. Для меня это игра произвела огромное впечатления, и я сразу проникся как самой игрой так и персонажами, ранее незнакомые мне, так как с первоисточником был не знаком. На момент 2011 это был прорыв в плане графики, она была сочной, насыщенной, были добавлены фильтры цветовые, что редко встретишь в играх, хоть местами и очень резало и било по глазам, слишком засвеченная картинка. Неплохая музыка, колоритные и главное запоминающиеся персонажи, несколько веток прохождения, за разные стороны конфликта, так, что с первым прохождением все картину увидеть не получится. Интересный и запутанный сюжет, в этой части, полностью положен на политический курс. Раскрытия некоторых событий из первой части, больше информации о "дикой охоте(гоне)". И пожалуй самая классная часть, которая предоставляет нам не только старых знакомых, но и верных друзей, спутников и нашу вторую половину (если можно так сказать). Увлекательно путешествие, интригующие повествование, душевные персонажи, годные шутки и забавные ситуации и это еще далеко не все, что ждет того кто отправится в путь, на поиски Убийцы Королей.
  86. May 19, 2011
    Great and challenging from the start! Never been a fan of Witcher franchise, but it is what it is. A great game with great gameplay, stunning graphics, and intriguing plot. Sure we have first nominee for Best RPG 2011. Still waiting for Skyrim thou.

Great work CDProject!
  87. Oct 7, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an exceptional RPG. The story itself is long and extremely well written, it's executed perfectly, it's almost readable like a book. The combat is fun and challenging as much as it is rewarding. The atmosphere is lush and graphically impressive. What this game doesn't have is a character creation system. But guess what-- it doesn't even need one. Geralt is an indefinitelyThe Witcher 2 is an exceptional RPG. The story itself is long and extremely well written, it's executed perfectly, it's almost readable like a book. The combat is fun and challenging as much as it is rewarding. The atmosphere is lush and graphically impressive. What this game doesn't have is a character creation system. But guess what-- it doesn't even need one. Geralt is an indefinitely example of a real character, he's simple minded, charismatic and strong willed and he's one hell of a monster slayer. Expand
  88. Aug 5, 2015
    Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too long conversation, too slow path, just like torture for my patience.

Too slow walking speed, there's neither fast travel nor speedy transport that I have to repeat walking through the same routes n times to get to check points. Feels like I was teased by the dev, but yes, dont forget to upgrade Feet work in Swordsmanship Tree ASAP, then dodging the whole map eases travel a bit only if your 'space' button is tough.

Scattered and interweaved plots cannot engage me into the story and usually make me feel confused and directionless.

The menu system is designed very poorly in almost every aspect. Too many to point out.
    For example, have to access alchemy, character and drinking portions via meditation. Extra layer that lows the speed of access.
    Items cannot be indexed, and are displayed only as list, making it difficult to have an overview and localization.
    When refining a specific portion, there is no way to know how many it I have had, Plus no way to skip the annoying drinking animation.
    Of course, the response of the whole menus is relatively lagging.

To get orientation in the game is frustrating.
    The mini map is almost useless that can only give a yellow arrow. My question is if terrain is so unclear on that mini map, why use it to fold a bit view instead of just giving us an arrow? Put it simple, the only way to make me directional is to press 'm', but for every several steps I have to press it....which is fatiguing.

Maybe 2/3 time is spent on menus operations, walking and conversation.
  89. May 17, 2011
    best rpg of the year by far....bioware, learn from this...witcher 2 is amazing gin every single way. Yes, the ending may not be as good, and combat may not be the best, but in terms of story line, choices and gameplay, bioware doesnt hold a candle to cd project! all the way with the witcher 2~!!
  90. Oct 23, 2012
    Dont go anywhere near this title, awful performance even on high end systems stutter, low flucuating fps, a total and utter shambles and no amount of fixes will help it.
    Keep away from this lazy console port absolute rubbish so sick of developers thinking they can release games in this condition rubbish !!!!!
  91. Apr 1, 2015
    It's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels likeIt's a good game, but a bit overrated in my opinion. I wanted to give a 7.5/10. I think from a CRPG point of view the first The Witcher was slightly better. Frankly I am not all that impressed with the combat system in The Witcher 2. The animations feel slow and I don't always feel in control of the character. I wonder if this has to do with console compatibility. Somehow this feels like it was made with controllers in mind.

There seem to be less options in character development than in the first one.

The story is good and choices are meaningfull. Graphics are very detailed but somehow they annoy me. If this game had the art design and crisp combat of Dark Souls II it would have been perfect.
  92. Jun 10, 2011
    The Witcher 2 truly is a great sequel to an already wonderful game, the combat finally makes sense and the story is exhilarating. Shame about about the ending though.
  93. May 20, 2011
    Fun combat, mature storytelling thats actually mature, choices that matter with real consequences, and likable well fleshed out characters make this an obvious candidate for GOTY. It really lives up to the hype and expectations, but unfortunately bugs, shoddy AI, and an engine that could be optimized better prevent it from getting a 10 by me.
  94. Sep 16, 2013
    This is a very good RPG. My primary gripe with The Witcher 2 is that the decision to use one key/button for nearly every action means that the controls take on a muddy feel. Since the player uses the same key to swing their sword that they use to climb a stair or loot a corpse, there's an awkward delay between fighting and action that, over the course of a very long game, becomes aThis is a very good RPG. My primary gripe with The Witcher 2 is that the decision to use one key/button for nearly every action means that the controls take on a muddy feel. Since the player uses the same key to swing their sword that they use to climb a stair or loot a corpse, there's an awkward delay between fighting and action that, over the course of a very long game, becomes a little frustrating. Otherwise, it's a great game with tons of replayability. Expand
  95. May 26, 2011
    Alright let me begin by saying that this game is NOT GoTY material, and it's May you jarheads, don't make such assumptions. The combat is more broken than a glass house after a tornado hit it; a tornado filled with golf-balls. then we have the STORY. Is it me, or is this game just a cheap cash in on trying to portray "mature" sex in video games. This game had potential, but it's just nothing.
  96. Aug 2, 2011
    This game is NOT equal to its predecessor nor does it supersede the first Witcher title. Indeed it is a step backwards for the franchise.

The storyline is weak, sporadic, uninspired and incomplete. The game engine is full of bugs or just plain bad designs. Scripts break, characters get stuck a lot, and controls are very cumbersome and response time is slow. The only decent "mini-game"

The storyline is weak, sporadic, uninspired and incomplete.

The game engine is full of bugs or just plain bad designs. Scripts break, characters get stuck a lot, and controls are very cumbersome and response time is slow. The only decent "mini-game" is dice, whereas the fist fights are "press correct key at the correct time" and the arm wrestling is just plain goofy and uncontrollable.

The potions system is decent save for you have to be in meditate mode to use a potion and you can't meditate once combat starts so you'll often fine when you need the potions most you won't be able to use them without reloading a save, meditating to drink the potions, then continue to the fight.

The game is beautiful. Textures and environments are top notch, models and characters are nicely rendered, and animations are excellent.

But the aforementioned flaws will have you constantly reloading because of a broken quest, or your character is stuck, or you need to potion up before an unexpected fight. (You could always make sure potions are up but then you'd be spending most of your time foraging for ingredients to support that much use as potions run 10 minutes max).

All in all this game is an extreme disappointment from the first. It's sad to see the developers go from one of the greatest (if not the greatest) RPG to a sequel that falls short of the first in every way except for the visual and sound.
  97. Jun 14, 2013
    Polish creators made something impossible. After a great game they made even better one. The Witcher 2 is absolutely the best game in the world. Much better than also brilliant first part but also quite different. Here we have much more skill fight, more intensive movement and dodge. Plot is awesome, gameplay is magical and everything here has a great magic in it. You will fall into thisPolish creators made something impossible. After a great game they made even better one. The Witcher 2 is absolutely the best game in the world. Much better than also brilliant first part but also quite different. Here we have much more skill fight, more intensive movement and dodge. Plot is awesome, gameplay is magical and everything here has a great magic in it. You will fall into this game for many hours and after the ending credits You will sit with Your mouth open. Expand
  98. Jun 2, 2011
    Incredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows aIncredible game, sadly marred by some design issues. Don't get me wrong, besides a few little things, this game is a 10. No, not a 10 like critics hand out left right and middle. I mean a REAL 10/10. The story is fantastically good. I got pulled in within the first minute, and I'm not easy to pull in. The graphics are out of this world. The atmosphere, the world, the detail, it all shows a staggering amount of care in its development. The voice acting, which some seem to think could be improved, is fully sufficient in my opinion. This is a game, not a movie.

Sadly there are a few things that are simply done wrong in this game. Quicktime events, which reek of console and taking the player for a 9-year-old, in an adult game, with nudity and STRONG language. And then there is the interface, like looting, which is fairly cumbersome, and finally, combat is clunky at times (and most of the time it is great). For these 3 blemishes on what is otherwise a TRUE MASTERPIECE, I remove 0.5/10 each, for a total of -1.5 on what would otherwise be a solid 10/10.

Overall it is a truly great game, one you will enjoy tremendously if you aren't extremely picky about controls and interface.
  99. Jul 20, 2011
    I great game, very fun to play with a nice, non linear story with lots of choices, enjoyable combat and pretty graphics. But it's in no way perfect. Half of the time I'm wondering around looking for this thing I'm supposed to find or person to talk to for a quest, for me, a lot of things were hard to find, and the interface was pretty bad, just drinking a potion takes ages and I must haveI great game, very fun to play with a nice, non linear story with lots of choices, enjoyable combat and pretty graphics. But it's in no way perfect. Half of the time I'm wondering around looking for this thing I'm supposed to find or person to talk to for a quest, for me, a lot of things were hard to find, and the interface was pretty bad, just drinking a potion takes ages and I must have only used the Cat potion (night vision) throughout the entire game, they're pointless. Player training pretty much sucks, since the tutorial page for what you wanted to do only appears after you've done it, for example, I had no idea what to do with these 'mutagen' items, double clicking them only tells me I can't use them in that menu, but refuses to tell me where I do use it. It was only nearing the end of the game I found out that you apply them to specific character upgrades once you level up. In chapter 1 there is a decision that decides which way the game goes, meaning picking the first option gives a completely different way to reach the end, while I did enjoy the game, I probably wouldnâ Expand
  100. Feb 24, 2014
    I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken.I had lot of fun with this game and I think it deserves to be played and loved. Excelent storytelling, graphics, etc. One of the best RPGs of our time. The biggest issue I have with it now, is that the original DVD does not work anymore. For some reason it keeps re-installing something and it is no longer possible to even launch the game. I think the system of pacthing is probably broken. So even though the game is great, considering how much money I spent on it when it launched and the fact that the original DVD isn't playable anymore, I don't think it was that much of a good deal. Expand
  101. May 18, 2011
    Wow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. AsideWow. I actually said that out load when I started playing this game. I have the PC version and havnt yet tried the other console versions but I can easily say that the graphics are the best that I have ever seen. Blows Crysis, DAO(and 2) and even Metro 2033 out of the water. The "ubersample" settings are amazing and just make it even better, although be warned you need a bigtime rig. Aside from graphics the style of the game just drew me in. I was in that world, I was Geralt. I havnt beaten the game yet but the story is fantastic with some pretty amazing plot lines, characters and UNLIKE DA2 varied settings that make you believe. The interface was a bit clumsy at first but I have gotten used to it now and forging weapons, potions and adding upgrades seems easy now. This will win game of the year, unless the folks at Bethesda top it with Skyrim. Perhaps the people at EA(Bioware) can take a look at the Witcher 2 and understand how a gritty yet beautiful game is created. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)