8.5

1. Jun 27, 2013
    Excellent graphics, excellent gameplay, compelling story. It just hurts when you are a gamer with so many games and you can't put the time into a game that truly deserves it to fully comprehend and control.
  2. Feb 6, 2013
    BioWare, Bethesda and all other RPG devs take notice. This is how you do RPGs. The story is fantastically written, the combat is raw, intuitive and weighted, the characters are interesting and exciting, the world is by far the most beautiful I've ever encountered and... I could talk for weeks about the positives in this game because there simply are no negatives. It epitomises everything that games should be. A near perfect experience. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Very pulpy fantasy-action game that won me over immediately. I believe it is, by quite a long way, the most beautiful game ever crafted for PC. Crysis 3 is more impressive on a technical level, but this game has so much heart and soul in the art design. It looks like every texture, model, crevasse, nook, and cranny of this game was painted and sculpted by hand! It is truly a sight to behold.

The story will keep you locked in for days on and and there is a huge amount of replay-ability considering the amount of choices the game allows you to make. Also, CD Projekt Red treats its players and the PC gaming community with respect and honesty. That's a tough combination to find these days.
  4. Feb 7, 2013
    Best RPG ever made love CD Projekt so much they take so much care about their games.Tell me witch studio gives you so much bonuses in box for standart price,they patch game so long after date of release,give you FREE DLC !!!,gives you extra electronic copy on gog.com,have bonuses in standart version and even thanks you that your bought copy of their game.About game W2 is so good,they have best storytelling,choices are so hard a was shocked about what i did,combat system is hard but challanging,missions are differend and always fun and the MUSIC.There is so much awsome about this game that i could write till the morning but i wanna to say this "Carry on CD Projekt,you are doing excelent job and i am lookin forward to Witcher 3 Expand
  5. Jun 9, 2013
    its an alright game if you don't have the "enhanced" edition its pretty good. theirs allot of annoying glitch and you have to wait for "combat" mode to turn off. its quiet irritable for opening doors or collecting items. combat targing is dodgy, loading screens can be depressing and relase between swings to your doging can lag up alot and cause death.. other then all that plot graphics and characters were amazing Expand
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    A great RPG, with mature non-linear story, interesting characters and stunning graphics and soundtrack.
    It's a must for every RPG fan that likes his games to have a good story, likes the grim fantasy world and likes his choices to make a difference.
    Witcher's issues are seriously minor, combat is more tactical than hack&slashy, and personally I had ever issue with the inventory system.

Overall, a very good game, that seriously kicks arse of other RPGs on the market.
    A newcomer to the series may be a bit lost but if what I wrote sounds interesting to you go ahead and buy it. And a disclaimer it's not a game for kids.
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    Game is fantastic! It is awesome, gorgeous and brilliant. One of the best RPG's I have played. Definitely Game of the Year 2011. It just could be a little bit longer.
  8. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    In itself this is a solid title, but for obvious reasons it's difficult to avoid comparisons with the first game of the series. While you could certainly argue with merit that some issues from the first game have been improved upon, I found the overall experience to be significantly less rewarding than the original. Simply doesn't have the depth of the original, and some of the gameplay mechanics have taken a turn for the worse rather than being an improvement. Playing a game should not be a chore. Expand
  9. Jan 15, 2014
    Terrible combat system, boring dialogues, exploration very limited, bad level design, mediocre music, bad inventory system, nice sound effects. The quality of the character models is mixed, in particular womens, the ones that counts, have no charisma and are predictable (like top models). Everything in the game is sub-par, except the graphics (nice models and textures, but boring anyway) and the skill system that seems good enough. It's propably a game developed with a simpleton userbase in mind, even if some riddles are just a pain in the... The game is stressing in everything, combat system, game design, level design. It just put stress on the player. I would not recommend it to anyone except simpletons who need virtual sex, a darkish anti-hero, profanities and boobs. It's far far away from Skyrim or Mass Effect even if it tends to copy them in multiple ways (but with abysmal results). Expand
  10. May 26, 2014
    Im fan of first person shooters and i dont like games like this, BUT Witcher 2 is amazing, i cant stop playing! Lot of quests, interesting story (very good storytelling) , beautiful graphic and good fight system. For example how good this game is, I play 10 hours consistently on first launch.
  11. Apz
    May 17, 2011
    Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick.
  12. May 18, 2011
    Ignore the scores you see on metacritic giving 0 theye are from competing games employees and in no way are sincere or reflect this awesome game!...am not going to say much other than this game is the best RPG i have ever played its so polished and immersive its hard to spot the odd flaw or blemish....This game msut surely raise the bar for others to follow...all games should be like this...well done to the polish team who developed it and shame on those sad people abusing metacritics user ratings system to try to downgrade this in favour of their own companies games..

I see one previously confirmed BioWare employee gave Dragon Age Origins 2 a 10/10...yet he gives this game 0..... It is a shame to see this happen.....MAKE NO MISTAKE FOLKS THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!...
  13. Jul 1, 2011
    This game is the best game to come out in 2011. The good: Graphics are amazing, Voice acting is very good, Storyline is very intriguing. The bad - who am I kidding? nothing is bad in this game!
  14. Dec 15, 2011
    This is without a doubt my pick for "Game of the Year." Gameplay, dialogue, and characters are all incredibly deep, and the decisions you make have a profound impact on the remainder of the game. Any negative points I could add would be nothing more than nitpicking.
  15. May 23, 2011
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings raises the bar for fantasy RPGs so high that I doubt any game, other than The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, will ever come close to touching it. The graphics are the best I have ever seen - blowing Crysis away - which helps make the world feel more real and instantly sucks you in to the experience. I won't spoil any story related points but while the ending is underwhelming the ride is absolutely worth it. The combat is vastly improved from the original, the animations are spot on, and the voice acting is top notch. All of this is capped off with an incredible soundtrack that really helps to set the tone of every experience in the game. This is a definite game of the year contender and I can't wait to see what CD Project RED does next. 10/10

----------
    The one warning I will give players who are looking into getting The Witcher 2 is: make SURE your PC is far beyond the recommended settings to fully enjoy the game. As of right now I can barely run the game at an acceptable frame rate with most graphics settings on high + AA on (out of: low/medium/high/ultra) and my PC's specs are: GeForce GTS 450, 3.0GHz quad core processor, and 8gb of DDR3 ram with the most recent drivers installed. The graphics still look amazing on high but my PC's specs are far beyond the recommended and should be able to run the game at a higher graphic fidelity (in my opinion). I don't believe CD Project RED did a good enough job optimizing the game. Now, if you are on the fence and are unsure whether or not you should get it because of your PCs specs, CD Project RED has addressed the performance issues people are having and has stated that they will release a patch this week that should improve performance for most users which depending on how effective it is could make a big difference on who I would recommend this game to. But as of right now if you have a PC with specs slightly above minimum I would hold off and getting this game and would wait until the next time you upgrade so you can fully enjoy it. That's my only complaint though. -----------
  16. May 21, 2011
    A truly epic game which takes the original game and improves on it in every way. Everything about it is excellent and worthy of Game of the Year for 2011.
  17. Jun 1, 2011
    One might think a critic's score of 88 (current) wouldn't be something to complain about, but once you've played The Witcher 2, you'll realize it is. .
    The Witcher 2, if fairly scored, would easily be in the mid 90's, if not higher. .
    Unfortunately, you have a professional troll in the Destructoid's 60 score, an idiot in the case of ActionTrip, who even admits on their own forums the
    game was underscored, and The Escapist, a site that not only scored the abysmal Dragon Age 2 *higher*, but said that horrible game is, "What videogames are meant to be". .
    TW2 is a strong contender for GOTY. I'd score this game an 11 is the site allowed it.
  18. Jul 14, 2012
    As good as RPG games get PERIOD. Anyone who says otherwise either has a sub-par rig or is a severely butt-hurt Biodrone.

Also, it actually pushes tech. REAL gamers who invest in their hobby can look to TW2 to fully utilize their superior hardware.
  19. May 17, 2011
    *No crappy DRM
    *Free DLCs
    *No "item" nonsense that comes with preorders and childish games played to get orders.
    *Actual content
    *Digital Collector's Edition for 45 U.S. dollars compared to other games that charge $60+

On top of all that this is a great game. I wouldn't call it GOTY yet because there are many great games coming out in 2011, but it should be up there in the running.
  20. Jun 3, 2011
    This game is short of flaws. As soon as it's picked up, it pulls you in. Immense story. Great characters. Amazing enviroment. Slightly linear, but easily overlooked. Definite contender for GOTY.
  21. Sep 10, 2013
    This is most likely to be the worst rpg ever made.

The original concept of witcher is gone game looks like a freak'd up doom 1 and whole combat system destroyed. I wonder how is it that both Bioware and Red managed to screw up their best looking rpg games in the history of gaming. I mean for example Baldur's Gate was a perfect game which then was continued same style to Baldur's Gate 2
    and that was MAKING gaming history while same company managed then to screw up both Baldur's Gate franchise and after again making a perfect rpg like Dragon Age they yet again manager to screw it up by the dlc and next Dragon Age 2 which I would rate even less than 0 if I could.

Exact above happens here Witcher was nearly a perfect role-playing game where as Witcher 2 is complete waste of time with idiotic development decisions made by simply keeping old name story and trying to develop completely new while there was never anything wrong with the old with exception of "We want to sell our product to consoles" which literally means that game sucks 9 ways to sun down every time I hear that. Those words alone means no top down NOT AN RPG.. It's an Gothic with new wrap and we all know how that was.

I would like to grant this title even 1 point but even the engine optimization is so damn bad I simply don't want to.
  22. May 23, 2011
    Far above and beyond any recent RPGs in almost all categories. The graphics are amazing, it runs very well, the story and character designs are amazing. However, the game is not without faults. While the combat seems somewhat mediocre, the glitches that accompany random parts of the game are frustrating at times. Looting can become a chore when you spend a minute trying to angle your camera right and walk around in circles mashing left click, only to realize you won't be able to loot it because of a future quest, or because its glitched. If you enjoyed the story/theme of the first game, this is a no brainer and must be picked up asap. If you enjoy RPGs, you will most likely enjoy this title at full price. Expand
  23. May 19, 2011
    The best game I have ever had the pleasure of playing in 14 years of gaming, hands down, nothing else even comes close.

CDPR poured their hearts and souls into this game and it really shows, the atmosphere and story are completely unmatched by anything else in the entire gaming industry, this is truly a fine example of why some games can be considered art.

They could of made the game a
    quarter as good as it is and it still would of sold just as many copies and gotten rave reviews, but they kept on going and made it even better.

Finally, a developer that cares about the game they are making.. feels like I'm ten years in the past.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, the best game you can ever have the pleasure of buying.
  24. Jun 5, 2011
    Finally, a game that does not hold your hand but forces you to interact with the created world to survive. I love this game. Fantastic graphics, great story and characters, great combat. If your computer can handle it, buy this gem. Game devs need to learn from this title...this is how you get players to explore and appreciate the created world: you make them figure stuff out as they go. Props to CDProjeckt, you have created a truly fantastic game. This is kinda like Monster Hunter Freedom, also a great game, but far better graphics, controls, and world. It has that same sense of masculinity and intelligence that American game devs think todays gamers cant handle. 10 out of 10, and truly one of the best games ever made. Expand
  25. May 17, 2011
    THE GAME IS AMAZING !! The atmosphere, The combat and The Story are just perfect ! I didn't expect for to much of this game, It was also gifted to me but wow it blowed me away ! Just buy it you dont need to know anything else
  26. May 18, 2011
    This game is a classic. People who are posting zeroes should just calm down. There's no way that bioware employees would be posting those marks. More like overzealous bioware fans who are threatened. This game deserves a complete 10. It's the best game i've played since oblivion, and dare I say it, baldur's gate. I get the distinct feeling that bethesda are playing this game right now and todd howard just said "new release date for skyrim folks...12/12/12" :) Expand
  27. May 18, 2011
    Truly a candidate for the GOTY 2011. Awesomely written dialogues, breath taking visuals and music and also really good combat. The story itself is deep, immersive, mature and, personally, I love some of the Geralt's sarcastic jokes. The first Witcher was awesome and this one is even better. The only minus I would say is the problem with GFX drivers (needed 275 beta driver off nVidia in order to run the game... but nothing serious). As a Sapkowski fan I recommend this game to anyone who loves RPG genre.

After a big disappointment with Dragon Age 2, this game put DA:O of the RPG throne for me.
  28. May 20, 2011
    The best RPG game i have ever played. This is truly a epic masterpiece. The environment is so amazing and and mind blowing, its just blows all the other RPG games out of the water. The villages / cities are so alive and full of life that you can spend hours just walking completely immersed in the game.
  29. May 21, 2011
    Brilliant game just like the original The Witcher, After the disappointment of Dragon Age 2, i was losing hope in RPG but still hoping on The Witcher 2 and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.

The Witcher 2 have restored some faith, if you have an high end computing system, i highly recommend it!

Now wanting to play The Witcher 3 or an expansion, and loving Triss Merigold (Was their really a choice in
    the game, i wont spoil), for future games Triss > Yennifer...

Great game, now waiting for 11/11/11 for Skyrim and news about future developments of the witcher.
  30. May 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great story, fight system, quests, Triss and other NPCs. Graphics is amazing, music and sounds are perfect, minigames are interesting. This game deserves to be Game of the year, but for me, the Witcher is better... Expand
  31. May 22, 2011
    The Witcher 2 is an absolutely incredible game, with nearly every aspect surpassing the first game. While the combat is vastly superior to the previous game, there are still issues, primarily with targeting and difficulty ramping. These minor flaws do not however distract from the overall game, including it's incredible story that is probably the best from any game since Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape :Torment. The game is a definite contender for Game of the Year and so far at least, has absolutely no competition. As for performance - I am using a Nvidia 470GT with the May 17 beta drivers, everything but Ubersampling turned on max the frame rate is at a stable 60 with minimal stuttering during area loads. Expand
  32. May 23, 2011
    Excellent game, worth the money + they really pushed the boat out with basic hard copy extras! Well done guys keep it up! cant wait for the witcher 3. lol @ how well the boobs and vagina have been textured, obviously very well researched! On a side note, love how they have used the northern irish accent! good too see that we are rubbing off on the polish that come to live/visit here!
  33. Jun 4, 2011
    Let's look at this game for what it is and try and dispel a few unworthy comparisons; firstly for the newcomers to the Witcher series, yes I think it does help if you've played the first one - one of the better decision based RPGs (where small decision mattered and could affect gameplay) and no, it didn't copy DA:O -- it was 2 years before, weâ
  34. Jun 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics are great, voice acting is good, storyline's good and it's actually challenging (a definite plus) - really, this should be "the greatest RPG of 2011" ... but it's not, sorry. The game is flawed; CD Projekt Red have made some definitely strange decisions with The Witcher 2. First off, potions - a Witcher without potions is hardly a Witcher - and yet now you can't quick-slot them, you have to meditate before combat to drink your potions... definitely a bad move. Quick Time Events (QTE) - really, leave these on the consoles - tap X, now Y, now Z ... sorry, W, A or S. What? I wanted a game, not a movie with a random reaction test to occasionally hit a key. Oh, and it doesn't matter what level you are, mis-time hitting that key and you're dead. And boss fights? Really? This isn't Sonic the Hedgehog where I'd expect to bounce off the head of Doctor Robotnik at the end of every level - this is supposed to be a mature RPG. If you're going to do "boss fights" you have to do them well (like in say Metal Gear Solid 4) where you've generally got at least a couple of ways to achieve your goal - the Witcher 2 does them badly; they generally run to the effect of - drop you in an inescapable room with a badass monster/NPC and let you die repeatedly until you've worked out which particular tactics you're supposed to use to win... you must dodge 30 insta-death attacks until you tire the monster enough to whip a pink tutu over its head so that it dies of embarrassment - or something.

OK - general monster mashing combat has been improved since the original Witcher - there's a lot more dodging and bomb chucking required to excel - you can't just wade into a huge mob of drowners and occasionally click a button to win. The graphics, sound and all the shiny, shiny are streets ahead of anything similar - it blows Dragon Age 2 out of the water... but the gameplay; to be honest, it doesn't actually play as well as the original Witcher. The prologue for instance - playing "dodge the dragon" is just rubbish - "oh, we've arbitrarily changed the camera angle so that instead of pressing W to run forward you now need to press A to run down the screen..." - and for what purpose - to give you another pointless reaction test.

Then there's the "what the hell am I supposed to do now factor" ... take the Kayran fight in Act 1 for instance. Right I've chopped off the tentacles and it's dropped a bridge on its head... now what? Oh, I see, I'm supposed to randomly run up some fallen masonry and throw a magical bomb that I don't actually have into its open gullet? Seriously?

At least they've fixed the "Invert Mouse" and key bindings options now - otherwise I'd have only given it a 6. Still, I suspect if I was playing this game on the XBoX I'd have been much more impressed - on the PC I'm getting a distinct feeling of "crap, they've consolised another great game and borked it on the PC".
  35. Jul 7, 2011
    This second part of The Witcher is not what it looks like. If you loved the first part, then run away from this 3rd Person Action Game with some light touches of RPG. It is exactly the same unfortunate story that previously happened with Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Although they used the same name followed by a 2, the gameplay is completely different. It is not a pure RPG, so if like me this was what you were looking for, then you'll be disappointed (and with less money in your purse!). Expand
  36. Aug 5, 2011
    A great example of how to make an engaging fun and epic roleplaying game. Bioware should take notes...
    The graphics are outstanding. The combat is fun. It is more real time hack and slash (as opposed to "tactical" with pause and issue orders). The crafting system is similar to all the other games: mix ingredients and get a potion or item.

The quest and story are engaging. Even
    the cut scenes are great. Over all it has a cinematic feel to it. Expand
  37. Aug 21, 2011
    It's one of the best RPG I've ever played.Graphics,characthers and story is amazing!Alchemy and crafting are very useful.There are a lot of things that you can do.
  38. Aug 29, 2011
    I loved the original Witcher game so much I looked forward to this sequel for years. I have tried many times to complete the game just to see where the story goes, but I just can't get into it. What a beautiful game! No complaints about the story. They changed so much and provided so little help I feel frustrated and lost almost all the time. I have seen a lot of games become harder to beat lately. I think this is to make them appeal to FPS players. My feeling is they went too far on this one. Why didn't their beta testers warn them? Expand
  39. Aug 29, 2011
    This is an extremely nice game. If you are into a good story and want to think a little bit and enjoy good graphics, this is a game for you. You can see that the guys from Poland still remember what an enjoyable and challenging game should look like.
  40. Aug 31, 2011
    An absolutely fantastic action/rpg. For fans of Bioware games who miss the RPG elements that were stripped away in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2. The game has a literary feel because it is based on a book and its characters are absorbing. The graphics are gorgeous and the sound effects perfect. I recommend playing The Witcher first so you are caught up on characters and can see how flawlessly CDProjekt took what made the 1st game great and made it even better. Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2011
    Being spoiled by open worlds from the Bethesda studio's this is disappointing. All though the story is great it really pissed me off that the story telling cuts in all the time and even lets you lose a fight which I was totally winning just to be able to tell the story. Also lets you fight fights with other characters of your party on occasion. The game player just has to follow. I know this is part of role playing but as I said I'm spoiled by the free open worlds in other games. But great graphics, fighting system and story! Expand
  42. Nov 20, 2011
    First of the game was overestimated due to lack of any other RPG till its release in this year. The story is moderate. The world is so enclosed and tiny (It takes 10 - 15 hours of playing to finish the main quest with some side ones). Graphics is amazing but the engine has no physics (it's for sure not Frostbite). There is little amount of gear and other stuff in this game. Fight with monsters is shovel, with no strategy (high difficulty). The game is not for real RPG fun.
    Any positives... ehm.. mentioned graphics, good dialogs and in some moments its really interesting. But is is no for sure for 10.
  43. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  44. Mar 7, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game, one of the best RPG's I've played; period. The story is crisp and easy to follow while still grabbing the player and will leave them wondering what will unfold in the story. It is also one of the few RPG's I've seen where player choice really impacts the game, with whole new area's to be seen (Or unseen) depending on player choices. That being said the game does have some flaws, I felt like it was frustratingly difficult to block, because of the limit on it, as well as some minor bits where the difficulty fluctuates wildly between fights. The romance options in the story are tasteful and never forced, and the characters are all wonderfully voice acted, especially Roche. Add in the fact that CD Projekt RED is releasing 4 more hours of game play to a part of the game the players liked the most is what bumps this game up beyond the norm. It's really worth getting, especially with how often it goes on sale for under 15 dollars. Expand
  45. Apr 17, 2012
    The Witcher 2 is GOTY 2011 for me. Incredible graphics, dynamic storyline with different outcomes depending on your choices, diverse gameplay and great replayablity. Also, CD Projekt RED offers fantastic support.
  46. Mar 31, 2013
    There are often fanboy flame wars over whether Skyrim or Dark Souls is better. The majority of them have never played this game. Great Fluid combat that makes you think, an interesting and beautiful world to explore, and a smart interesting story that doesn't shy away from violence and sexuality. Truly one greatest RPG's I've ever played.
  47. Dec 31, 2012
    The good: It's pretty.
    The bad: Pretty much the rest of the game. Poor controls (non-customizable, feels like a bad Xbox port) no open world, you can't jump?, interface is bad, NOT an RPG, combat is horribly clunky, no replayability... really, very poorly done. I honestly bet the mod community could write a "witcher" mod and have it done in half the time, on 0 budget, and have it play
    2000% better.

It get's 1 pt from me for the graphics, but nothing else.
  48. Aug 21, 2011
    Everything that's wrong in the (post)modern gaming industry... done right! Marvelous game with a caring developer behind it...CD Projekt's support seems to fulfill the meaning of "user support"... even topping it with free DLC and a soon-to-be-released free update bringing Witcher 2 to patch version 2.0 with true game-improvement (and that...as we all know - lately - is a rarity).
  49. May 20, 2011
    I'm not done chapter 1 but so far this game **** owns. Way better than DA2 and possibly GOTY for me.

There are minor complaints, but seeing as how they released an EE version of the witcher 1, I have high hopes they'll work on them.

The game is absolutely stunning. The production values are through the roof, and the combat is fun and challenging. The music is as always in the witcher
    series, wonderfully done. The cutscenes, the NPC interactions, the plot is all very engaging and interesting. There are tons of items, tons of neat places to see and things to collect and create.

The worst parts are easily: The UI (which has a very console feel), and certain aspects of the combat, but they overall are minor.

If I had to explain what this game is and what it stands for in the world of RPGs, it would be this.
    Wonderful.
  50. May 26, 2011
    I've been looking forward to this one for awhile, and I really wanted to like it, but I'm giving up. The game runs buttery smooth on my rig yet, for some unknown reason, I have to tell Geralt to do something 7 or 8 times before he actually does it. And I mean I literally tell him to do it, because I have time to shout "PARRY! PARRY YOU STUPID SON OF A-" before he gets in the stance. Then I attempt a basic slash and he decides it's the perfect time to practice his Triple Salchow. I also appreciated the way the game attempted to explain the awful controls using the world's smallest font while I was in the middle of combat. Unfortunately, I can't comment on whether or not the controls function properly with a gamepad because it refuses to recognize any. I'm done. The story is...meh, the graphics are pretty, the sound is alright (if you like people constantly shouting "PLOUGH THE LILLIES") and...no, that's it. The rest sucks. Expand
  51. May 24, 2011
    Has to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badly designed games that punish your mistakes. the simple fact is if you dont react correctly you get burned lol Also this has been welcome because of some of the combat issues i had in the witcher 1. I could complete the whole game only having to use a few health potions rendering Alchemy irrelivent which in the world of the witcher should be a must have. In terms of role playing aswell i love the fact not everthing is spoon fed to me. For example go kill x monsters. Most rpgs would be strait on the mini map showing you exactly were to go and tell you what to do. The witcher 2 makes you explore and makes you research ways of defeating monsters instead of running in hack and slash return to quest giver thanks for the gold!! last but not least the cinematics and voice acting are top class! CD Project have one problem now! How do they top the witcher 2? Expand
  52. May 24, 2011
    This was a huge disapointment.. I knew nothing of the Witcher before I friend told me it was great while speaking about Oblivion (Elders scroll). So I watched some preview I tried it out.. But really there's nothing special about it.. Even worse, the average everybody wont be able to run it on PC, I got a 8k $ comp brought 3 years ago, so still pretty good, I i'm still getting lag on low graphics.. Plus there are some ridiculous part in the game that'll just make you rage, like inbeatable bosses or run away in straight line from a dragon that'll kill you 50 times.. wtf ? Just wait for Skyrim people. Expand
  53. May 17, 2011
    This is not only the best RPG I have ever played but my all time favorite game now. Been playing all night and just wow.

Incredibly fast, fun, tactful combat system. That is just so unbelievably smooth it just feels great. Mixing sorcery with sword play, dodging, blocking. Huge improvement from the first.

The storyline is just so engaging and well written. The voice acting is fantastic.
    The graphics...dear god the graphics. Just stunning in every way. Such a gorgeous game.

I can't recommend this game enough. Go and buy it!!
  54. May 30, 2011
    This is the best RPG I've played in a long time. With respect to game play mechanics, they fixed many aspects of combat that I didn't care for in W1, improved crafting, and made resting less of a chore. Where the Witcher 2 really stands out, however, is in the time taken to setup the story, introduce characters, and develop a connection to the player. Your character is faced with a number of interesting decisions which tend to entirely avoid what has become the traditional 'kick puppy / hug puppy' syndrome in many modern RPGs. Instead, the player is forced to make tough decisions, often without having all necessary information. As a result there were points throughout the game where I was genuinely conflicted about who to side with or which character to let live. This makes for a great gaming experience and leaves a lot of room for additional playthroughs. Finally, the graphics are great. The game shows that it is indeed possible to have excellent visuals while still providing a superb story and exciting game play. All in all definitely GOTY material and I hope its success helps to push certain other developers back toward producing quality games instead of focusing solely on quarterly profits. Expand
  55. Oct 7, 2011
    In short, one the greatest RPG's of all time. Terrifically immersing world and story, believable and original characters, a staggering number of choices and consequences, and challenging gameplay to boot. A must play for fans of the Fanatasy RPG genre.
  56. May 20, 2011
    Do you enjoy games with good graphics? Do you enjoy a compelling, dark, fantasy storyline? Do you enjoy characters that don't feel like they were written by ten year olds? (I'm looking at you Dragon Age 2) Then I think the Witcher 2 is a perfect game for you! Despite some steep hardware capabilities, this is a fantastic game made by a great developer that will have free DLC and is already quite expansive. Expand
  57. May 19, 2011
    They managed to do what Bioware/EA was trying to do with the Dragon Age IP , except they didn't completely **** the bed, destroy the franchise and lose 90% of their fans and customers!

I'm only a few hours into the game, but the plot and characters are extremely compelling, the combat is a blast, although it would have been nice if the difficulty ramped up a bit more slowly. A guy
    shouldn't have to reload a save two dozen times during the TUTORIAL while he's trying to get a feel for the system...

The graphics are amazing, and run flawlessly at max settings on my middle of the road PC. (2.0ghz amd quad, 6 gb ram, radeon 5770)
  58. Olf
    Jun 9, 2011
    Well made game. Game play is very difficult, and choices you make actually make some semblance of a difference....as opposed to Dragon Age 2. I really feel not only was this game an improvement on the original, but a good look at how RPGs of the future should be with high re-playability.
  59. May 17, 2011
    This game is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Depth and accessibility all in one.

Few games achieve the perfection TW2 has reached, the world is engrossing, the combat is fun, the RPG STILL EXISTS! Conversation is believable, adult, non-patronizing and totally involving. TW1 didn't even come close to this, it only hinted at it.

Thank you CDP for proving that smart people
    exist still, not everyone is a DA2 tardo-box. Expand
  60. Oct 3, 2011
    Excellent game that upgrades almost every aspect of the original game. A very good story that has a mature feel to it and is believable. Pretty much all the quests feel relevant, very few "kill x amount of something"-quests. Graphics and soundtrack is top of the line. Combat is good and varied, you can do combat in many different ways depending on what you like. There are a few things to complain about in this game and one might be how the potion system works. You really should be able to drink a potion without having to go into meditation. That would make drinking potions more useful and it would keep the pace in the game.
    Another small complaint is that I would have liked to have direct access to all the different information windows in the game from within an already open window. Like in the original game there was a round menu in the upper right corner of the screen where you can easily switch between for example the character window and the quests window.

Overall an excellent game that should not be missed, especially if you can appreciate a good story.
    Definitely one of the best games of 2011.
  61. May 22, 2011
    Great game, improves on his predecessor and by far the best rpg released in years.
    AI should be improved and also combat variety.

Please buy it on gog.com and support cdproject.
  62. May 20, 2011
    I'm a big fan of the first game. This one looks great, has enjoyable characters, and as another person said here - combat is dangerous. All the bad stuff I can think of so far is pretty minor: 1. The minigames are not well made, the controls are poorly done, which makes boring games even less fun. 2. It has that weird OCD trap of leaving loot lying around in every other crtate in town, so you feel you HAVE to loot it, even it it means walking into a stranger's home, not speaking to them, and stuffing your pockets with loot from their bedroom while they watch. Even more ludicrous was stealing from crates while 2 npc's are actually doing inventory on them. It stretches the bounds are good storytelling. 3. Those pretty graphics everyone is talking about impede movement in abnormal ways, like not being able to run forward past a big blade of grass. Sucks in combat. 4. It needs some simple options in the PC version like INVERTING the Y-axis! Yes, I found out where to edit the user.ini, but I shouldn't have to. The camera controls are a little hard to like also. 5. I miss the timed combat moves from the previous game. Just saying. It's a good complicated game. There's depth here. I wouldn't go so far as to say it offers a lot of open role play though. You are re-learning skills you already had. OK, memory loss, it's been over done in stories, but makes sense here. It's not like Arkham Asylum, where Batman learns his own basics skills in a couple of hours. That made no sense and yet was incredibly fun. Expand
  63. May 17, 2011
    Awesome game. Now i'm a massive Bioware fan, but the difference between this release and Dragon Age 2. CD Projeckt have made the game they wanted to make and the game the fans wanted, rather than trying to appeal the lowest common denominator as Bioware did. Deep RPG mechanics, excellent combat, engaging story, brilliant characters, and best of all, choices which really matter

I
    should also mention the excellent amount of stuff you get in the box! It made me feel like i was a kid ripping open an Atari ST game again! Expand
  64. May 28, 2011
    This game is a little bit below what I expected. After Playing the first game, I had high hopes for the second one. Some of the things I did like about TW2 was the environment that was set up. Everything looked beautiful. Also, the didn't have nearly as many bugs as TW1 did when it first came out. The story line was pretty solid and let me say this; this game feels linear, but play through again making different choices and you probably won't end up with the same conclusion, maybe not even the same story. Now, there are some things that I didn't like about this game. There was barely any tutorial at all. The only help you got was from a little box in the corner of the screen to tell you what to do. They also made the tutorial more difficult than it should have been. I get that this game was meant to be for the hardcore player, but the game gets easier as you go further into the game, which also means the level pacing was bad. Many people have complained about the inventory mechanics and other things, but that didn't bother me too much because it was similar to TW1. The one thing that killed the game though, was the scripting into American English. Talking in the medieval tone and accent is fine, but when you start dropping the f-bombs and other slang that doesn't fit in with the game at all, that is NOT ok. Overall, This game is pretty good. It didn't meet my expectations, But it was still an enjoyable experience. Expand
  65. May 18, 2011
    Im 3 hours in the game and its stunning from graphics to everything else. Its worth every penny and even more. I feel sorry for DA2 fans who cant stand watching how "Real" RPG beats the crap out of "over-hyped" Bioware company name and their DA2 title.

You can live on past glory, cuz some1 else will come and do it properly. Go Go CD Projekt Red show them how to make RPG.

Witcher is my name!
  66. May 18, 2011
    Got to love all trolls, with names like "Bioware" trying to lower this score. This game's biggest flaw is the technical side of things, which they are working out, much of that is user error. This a great game, don't let the bioware love crowd, try hate on this. Because there precious DA2 didn't deliver. Enjoy this great game people!
  67. May 21, 2011
    Wonderful Action RPG with an amazing story, and available DRM free. But, marred by clumsy controls, a somewhat poor inventory screen, and high graphical system requirements.
  68. May 24, 2011
    Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling" option can bring any current GPU to it's knees. The only negative is the fact that you can't remap some of the keys for combat (a stupid oversight by the development team), but there's an update on the way to fix this issue. Expand
  69. May 17, 2011
    One of the best rpg's i've EVER played,and i've played them all,including that utter piece of **** called dragon age 2-hey,bioware-take notes THIS is how it's done-and tell your insecure employees to stop giving a game that ****s all over yours a 0 and get back into the development studio to make dragon age 3 an actual rpg this time-because judging from your last game,you're gonna need all the help you can get...what else can i say? AMAZING!!!! GOTY 2011. Expand
  70. May 21, 2011
    This game takes the crown of the RPG genre for being the best RPG released in the last 10 years of gaming. The Witcher 2 assassinates all of its genre-rivals with ease.

I finished this game after 30 hours of gameplay and never had a dull moment, never needed to grind and always was on important and eventful quests full of plot twists and surprises. If you are a fan of western RPGs you
    need to buy this. This is how you do a sequel ! Expand
  71. May 17, 2011
    1:First let me say that this game is amazing & Cd Projekt has made one of the best rpg I have ever played! 2:Most Rpg's get something right like magic or story or fighting! 3:The Witcher 2 get gets the story,Fighting and magic right! 3: I am so glade I pre ordered this amazing game & I don't want my money back! 4: It stomps all over dragon lame 2! 5:The main quest without side quests & taking different paths is 40 hours!
    6:Nuff said buy this game!
    7:My personal goty!
  72. May 17, 2011
    I would give this game a GOTY not just in the RPG, but generally across all genres. The game has amazing graphics that push the hardware (you can also play it on crappy PCs too, so props to devs for optimizing the engine). The game has glorious story and awesome combat mechanics, go watch YouTube if you don't believe me.

More important, this game has an awesome developer behind it that
    does everything RIGHT. No DRM, free DLC, modding tools, PC-only. Thank you CD Project. Expand
  73. May 17, 2011
    I registered just to fix this injustice done by Bioware employee, M_stanndard. Of course I'll do the same with Dragon Age 2, I hate ppl like this. This game deserves best, it got everything, non-linear story, best graphics out there, great quests, splendid dialogues, deep combat system, especially combined with the traps, alchemy, bombs and of course Witcher Signs. I love how everything is detailed, a blade with rune own a glowing sign on the edge, and of course different effect while lubricant is put.

Love this game. 10/10
  74. May 17, 2011
    GOTY 2011 candidate, at least unless Diablo 3 shows up this year. An awesome RPG game, just like the first part - compared to Dragon Age 2 it wins pretty much in nearly every aspect (the exception being higher system requirements). It also helps if you are familiar with The Witcher Saga by A. Sapkowski.
  75. May 17, 2011
    The best game what I've ever played! If you like RPG, you must buy it! I don't know why fanboys of DA2 are rating this epic game down. Someday CD Project will be great company!!! :)
  76. May 17, 2011
    This was worth what felt like a very long wait. If the first game was the statement of intent, this is the full realisation of those aims. Everything that worked in the first game has been tuned up to a yet higher magnitude, everything that needed polish has been TLC'd to a shine and everything that detracted from the game has been thrown out and replaced with something that deserves to stand alongside the other great achievements of the game.

The storyline carries on in true cinematic fashion, but not in a hand-holding MGS kind of way - no, from the offset you're playing your own Geralt and interacting with the world and characters in the way you see fit. The voice acting was inconsistent in the first game, never awful but rarely that good. In this game it's knitted together much more coherently which adds to the believability and aids in the storytelling and roleplaying. The combat in the first game was a case of a good idea that just didn't work quite as planned. The sequel sees the developer nail it and deliver a fighting system that represents the way the characters fight in the books and feels natural and fluid for the player. Hell, even the way the game updates and installs DLC (all of it is free, no DLC will cost you any money in this game) is user friendly and a pleasure to use.

I simply couldn't recommend this game more for a fan of RPGs, adventure or even just good stories told well.
  77. May 17, 2011
    Can't decide which is best: the amazing graphics, the compelling narrative or the incredible depth this game possesses. The Witcher 2 sets a new standard for computer RPGs, with a mature world, filled with remarkable characters in a game which is a tantamount to Stroker's Dracula as is Dragon Age II to Twilight. But it's not just that. CDProjekt has been shown a respectful developer towards PC gamers in general, offering free DLCs, an amazing Collector's Edition which is not riddled with in-game items and the best graphics your computer is or isn't able to handle. The game itself is a perfect 10; CDProjekt's attitude makes it worth an 11. Expand
  78. Wik
    May 17, 2011
    The best solo player game for years. The graphics is one thing, but the world, the characters and combat is amazing. I cant find any bad things to say about this game.
  79. May 18, 2011
    The best RPG game since the days of ps2!! If not the GOTY will at least be in the competition for top positions! CD Projekt Red Studio is to be congratulated for the quality of your product and even more because of all the DLC except expansions are free.
  80. May 18, 2011
    This game is a clear example of what a good PC game is. CD Projekt RED has done an awesome job with the story, graphics, and design of the game. The graphics engine, dubbed "RED Engine", allows you to customize a myriad of features ranging from screen space ambient occlusion to depth of field. Best of all, any future DLC for The Witcher 2 will be free (just as it should be for every PC game). If you're looking for a fresh, immersive, and complex RPG... then The Witcher 2 will keep you busy for hours. Expand
  81. May 18, 2011
    First, this game is awesome. If you don't play this game you are truly missing out on one of the Best RPG games ever. It amazes me when I look through the reviews and you see some guy give a seriously low score. Some of you must have no lives that you have to write low reviews of an awesome game. I can understand someone maybe giving this game an 8 or maybe even a 7 but any lower than that you are just letting everyone know that you are a moron. This Game is a definite 10. I know that no game is perfect so in reality no game should ever get a 10, but any game that is so awesome and fun to play deserves a fat 10. Expand
  82. May 22, 2011
    Streamlining done right.
    The Witcher 2 as a game is the meaning of the word progress. Everything from the graphics to the systems behind the game are an amazing feat, one you would expect from a big named developer backed up by a huge budget . The looks of the game are not only unparalleled due to its PC only nature, but also because it presents a world that feels hand crafted. The
    attention to detail borders on the extreme: the clothes, the houses and buildings, the faces of the characters their weapons and in general every corner, nook and cranny of the world has a distinctive touch. The scenery is simply breathtaking, and if you are like me you will want to make a screenshot out of every frame. It also shows that you don't need an overabundance of browns and blood reds in your palette to show a gritty dark fantasy world. This game shows its maturity not through a pretense of adult topics or over the top action animations, but through a careful use of its elements and by showing the player some respect: yes, you are an adult, and you can handle these topics, because indeed the Witcher's is a dark world filled with conspiracies, racism and characters in between every single shade of gray. It is a living, breathing, unforgiving world.
    The story is as complex as in the first game, filled with twists and choices that may change the fate of many, and forking paths that make a replay of the game not only encouraged, but required in order to see the extent to which they occur and diverge. Normal and hard difficulties are recommended and will test your skills if you don't face every battle with all seriousness, preparing beforehand by brewing and drinking potions and using all of your abilities during the fight, i.e. your swords your magic signs depending on what enemy you face and traps and bombs for your crowd control.
    The actual combat is in no way dumbed down. It will still punish you if you go unprepared and you can't mash your way out of battles. It is in much better shape than in the first game, and friendly to both the use of a gamepad or mouse and keyboard. The user interface is slick and great looking.
    The ending of the game comes abruptly, and you might feel that it doesn't solve every issue the game presents (the main storyline issues ARE solved, though). It is no excuse from what many will consider a downbeat ending, but in all honesty it doesn't detract a single beat from what this game does right, which is almost everything else. Even if you don't like the ending you will feel that the journey was worth it.
    In the end I feel like I'm required to score this game a 10 despite its shortcomings not because it is a perfect game, but because it is an honest one. When more and more AAA releases are done with specific quarters in mind, or with demographics numbers behind, or executives who never play games are calling the shots, The Witcher 2 really feels developed to please it audience, to show them they too are tired of these.
    There is a certain level of quality you expect from bigger developers which have more of a history and a name, because they deliver experiences that go way beyond what you might get from the indie guys. It is OK, they have the money and the numbers behind. This is a trend that has been changing in the last years and that no longer holds true in most cases though. You might think that one can give a pass to the smaller guys just because they make a lot with too few, and thus a 7 might become an 8 or a 9 might become a 10 this way. In this case in particular neither of these apply. In my mind CDProject RED are already the big name, from whom I will expect unrelenting quality and because after what they achieved they can't be considered the little guy any longer. With the Witcher 2 they delivered a game that is truly above and beyond any RPG from the last years, that feels like a product of love, careful planning and an overall shout to fans and the gaming community that says "we know what you want, and we can deliver. Where others have failed you we will prevail." And God if they don't.
    A serious contender for RPG and overall game of the Year is here, and frankly there is little in the horizon that looks like it might compete with it. Five years from now when other games made by bigger companies are all forgotten in the $5 bargain bins of the world, many a gamer will be reinstalling this game to reminisce and fondly say: "yes, I played a game was this good in 2011, and it was glorious."
    Congratulations CDProject, you just released your first masterpiece.
  83. May 19, 2011
    Has a legit claim for the greatest RPG of this generation.
    This might be a strange comparison but The Witcher 2 reminds of Metal Gear Solid franchise. The immaculate attention to detail in almost every category, the story telling, the character and world design, the cinematics, the depth of gameplay, music and of course the graphics. Of course you can say Mass Effect 2 can almost fuflil
    everything I just mentioned, the difference is The Witcher 2 hasn't forgotten its root as a hardcore RPG and thats a blessing. Expand
  84. May 19, 2011
    I was a huge fan of The first Witcher game to the point it made me buy the two novels that the game was based one. Considering this I was hoping the sequel would not be a let down and it wasn't! The graphics is stunning. The combat is a huge improvement compared to its predecessor. I enjoy the continuation of the story script where it's a darker world filled with consequences. Plus no DRM, this is my new drug! This has to be RPG game of the year 2011. Expand
  85. May 20, 2011
    I am seriously annoyed with how many people have actually just made new accounts out of jealously for how great this game is. Sure it does have it's flaws, but they are so few and devalued, that it is next to zero effect on gameplay. Being that this engine was made specifically with PC's in mind and not a console port as some moronic reviewers have put it, it is going to be more difficult to optimize for everyone's machine. I myself can play the game on max settings with very few framerate hiccups, but I can understand the frustration. I don't have a review as of yet, but I will tell you so far this second trip to the world of the witcher has been worth the wait and definitely outweighs the hype. Expand
  86. May 23, 2011
    First off, I need to say that I only bought Witcher 2 out of curiosity and that I haven´t played the first part. I´ve played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Gothic 3, Risen and STO over the last years (on harder difficulties) - so that´s more or less the foundation for any evaluation and comparison...

THE GOOD:

The game has absolutely
    beautiful and stunning visuals that create an atmosphere in some places which is matched by few other games to date. At least it blew my mind a couple of times. Along with this, most of the level design ist absolutely first rate, too. Animations are generally very smooth, the voice acting (EN) is very good and "authentic" and the characters are mostly appealing. While I haven´t completed the story yet, I (not knowing The Witcher 1) must say that the characters show a certain unpredictability and duality. I´m not familiar with any kind of fantasy literature (except LOTR - which I read before the movies came out), so this whole plot thing may be significantly less predictable to me than to others... Up to now the game has proven to be very motivating - I really like exploring the small but gorgeous areas in forests, plains, towns etc. The hunt for new items is fun, too - as it should be in any good RPG. While you do not have a breathtaking amount of freedom in this game, it doesn´t create any strong sense of things recurring too often. All in all, this portion of the game(play) works absolutely fine with me.

The rest will have to be cut down in length due to the limited number of characters... It´s no less significant though!

THE BAD:

- The difficulty is already ridiculous on "normal" (thanks in no small part to the AI and controls)
    - Combat is mostly either frustrating or nothing but button mashing and rolling around on the ground (resembles Gothic 3); magic mostly sucks
    - Unrefined controls; you can´t jump and you can (and will) get stuck on every tiny little object (especially fun during combat)
    - More MMO-like AI behaviour (trigger zones for whole mobs etc.)
    - No real tutorial (read the manual!)
    - Poor inventory screen (remember Obllivion?)
    - Little character development & customization (it´s more like Dead Space than Oblivion for example)

THE UGLY:

- Lots of invisible level barriers (Geralt can´t jump because he´s too old for that)- this one sucks big time
    - Graphics glitches (NPCs popping up out of thin air, moonwalk-NPCs etc.)
    - Loading screens when entering/leaving buildings (not really a big one in this list)
    - Registration required to get all the quests and items in the game (really wtf?!)

CONCLUSION:

This game does have a lot of atmosphere and potential - both of which are ruined to a certain degree by really unnecessary flaws in game design and gameplay. It more or less works a s a whole, but at times the gameplay is simply infuriating or it has you sitting in front of the screen thinking "What were they thinking!?" Additionally, the character development in this game is quite limited. It works more like those shooter games that have implemented RPG-elements. Be aware of this before you buy the game. After this experience I´ll gladly be waiting for Skyrim...
    I may be nitpicking at times, but why should we just quietly accept all the bad ideas that game designers come up with?! After all, I payed 50â
  87. May 24, 2011
    Simply put, one of the best role playing games out there, if not the best. Excellent story that makes you want to keep playing to discover whats happening, very nice combat system that feels fluid (despite some glitches) and graphics that will blow you away. The game has actual choices that lead you up to different paths and change the way it plays on the last 2 chapters. Choices that range from choosing how will you infiltrate a town, to picking what side you will aid in the war. A truly beautiful game which makes me even more anxious to see what this Polish studio will prepare for us in The Witcher 3. Some bugs may appear here and there but reviews that give it "0" are just not justified AT ALL. I can understand a 7-8 for someone that hasn't been able to start it and is angry but below that it's just pure hate. Expand
  88. May 26, 2011
    For me, the game is excellent! Beautiful, quite difficult and addictive.
    Some people here probably don't know how to read. Clearly it is written - from 18 years! Too difficult for you? Everything has to be easy and friendly as for preschoolers?
    Well, kids, TW2 is not for you. Wait a few years.
    My real rating is 9.8.
  89. May 31, 2011
    Great RPG with challenging combat, a deep broody protagonist and a cast of memorable side kicks. I have played through the game twice - hit both main story lines and I'm back for a third. At first I found the combat punishingly difficult (i'm mostly a console gamer - so that might also play into it) but once you get the timeing and nuances of spells, bombs, traps and dodging down it becomes challenging but not frustrating. It is a game that rewards experimentation with the combat as well as with the role playing options. It is really nice to find an RPG that doesn't have a dumbed down combat system. We can handle moral dilema's and blade (or two) at the same time. My only gripe is that the previews made it seem like a much bigger more open world than it really is. I was hoping for maps at least as open as the original Witcher what I got was less open than that but more open then say Dragon II. As that expectation was raised I was initially somewhat disappointed to find the areas to be explored rather limited. As with the original expect a good deal of profanity, pretty close to full frontal female nudity, and moderately graphic simulated sex. Expand
  90. Jun 4, 2011
    The job CDP have done here is simply stunning. The game runs at about 30 fps at 1080p on my rather outdated Radeon 4850 and the quality of its art and visuals make me think of Blizzard games. Impressive job, given the fact that these Polish guys probably don't have the resources of major Western studios.
    Just walk through the forest near Flotsam at night to understand what I mean.

I'm
    mostly staying away from Quen during this runthough; the fights require a bit of research - collecting books about the enemies, preparing blade coatings and potions for the witcher, while the story is top-notch and very much in the spirit of Sapkowski's "Blood of the Elves" and "The Last Wish".

Definitely recommended if you want a game with an engaging story, in a stylish package - finally something to put your 2010 computer to work in a non-gratuitous manner.
  91. Jun 5, 2011
    Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever. The game presents users with choices at almost every turn and these choice may impact the course of your story significantly. This is one game where choice is not an illusion. Combat is also amazing, is one of the only few games which actually requires the use of all abilities to come out on top of every encounter, if you dont use your abilities wisely then there is a good chance that you will get your arse kicked and that is why a lot of bad players won't like this game.

For any RPG fans this is the best game thats out there.
  92. Jun 6, 2011
    Well, this game is the best fantasy crpg I've played since, I don't know, possibly even Baldur's Gate. Every single aspect of the game is well thought out, you can almost feel the game developers' love which they poured into their creation. Memorable characters and monsters, amazing story, best graphics I've seen (I don't even think this is an exaggeration), rewarding and dynamic combat system, nice music and voicework. And most of all - loads of fun, games are supposed to be fun and this one is overflowing with fun. I really have to think hard of things I would improve - maybe some menus that are hard to get used to, that's it I guess. I would recommend it to anyone who is mature enough to appreciate what the game brings. And none other crpg brings more. Expand
  93. Jun 20, 2011
    great game - story line really seemed meaningful (made you think b4 u decided and great story branches for replay value etc), you developed some great connections with the NPCs ingame, the graphics and overall atmosphere was pretty cool. Combat mechanics probably the weakest point - while good didn't quite hold its excitement towards the end of the game (cast quen - whack some bad guys - cast quen again - whack some more bad guys etc). Expand
  94. Aug 20, 2011
    Very good game a good story. if a little short however the combat is very good and very challenging though the controls could be tightened up a bit as they can seem a bit unresponsive. Vastly superior to other rpg's out there such as Dragon Age which seems to have stolen its combat system from Runescape.
  95. Sep 3, 2011
    I saw some stupid reviews here that gives the game 1. Those guys could not even cognize a new game with all of their new rules if not from Bio'sla'ver. 1. Attack strategy of Geralt: killing lots of opponents at the same time is like hitting critital. When you hit a critical, you change the course of the fight? You can improve this chance even from the warrior talent tree.. 2. Monster strategy, endrega queen: No, we want to use our brain in the game to defeat monsters, why we play a game anyway? Shouldn't be different from a zero-interactive-movie? 3.Random quest givers: Why on earth this brilliant feature could be a negative effect? 4. Random quest order: Why on earth this brilliant feature seems like a negative effect for a game on your brains? This game is an epic and releases us from the stupid Bio'sla'ver even-under-six-age-can-end-it games. Expand
  96. Sep 8, 2011
    Simply put, if you enjoyed the first game or are a fan of any RPG this one is by far the best you can find. Despite being a pirate I would happily fork out £40-50 for such a beautifully realised world like that in TW2. GOTY? Quite possibly...
  97. Oct 11, 2011
    So far my favorite game of 2011, Briliant graphics in a very credible game world. Best feature: the choices you make really do CHANGE the game. Briliant replayability and a long single player campaign. WARNING... Do not buy for your kids... this is a game for adults only.
  98. Nov 1, 2011
    CD Projekt Red has GOTY 2011 in the pocket. There's signs of developer blindness (until the mega 2.0 redux patch the difficulty curve was very steep unless you browsed for some helpful tutorials online) and some of the features either somewhat strange or simply badly documented but those are minor setbacks as Witcher 2 is a technological and artistic masterpiece and shows (for most of) the game industry how you create a game that will be remembered as a classic while taking care of your fans and customers. Expand
  99. Apr 10, 2012
    The enchanced edition game (2.0) is really great. The Arena mode gives you the opportunity to practice fighing skills (and fighting is really dificult). The story is intriguing... Great and complex game !
  100. Dec 22, 2011
    Great game with a fan-base passionate & dedicated enough to stamp every negative review with dislike. The game is excellent, but negative reviews are being unfairly reported.
  101. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a blast playing this game. The continuity from the first game to the second one was very well done - a lot of questions from the first game were answered in the second installment. The game does a great job at making you understand that choices have consequences. As a matter of fact, a specific choice will decide where you stand and how your story unfolds in the second chapter. I loved how you also have the opportunity to execute a questline while being stealthy as opposed to run in and kill everyone. The graphics are stunning, the landscapes are beautiful and varied. I found the colors to be very crisp and the textures refined. As far as the models go, sometimes the lips movements felt akward when the characters talked, but other than that, the animations felt flowly. What I liked a bit less about the game, however, is that it can throw you quite rapidly in the action and giving you very little feedback. Without spoiling the game, at the very beginning when you're given a choice of narrating cutscenes, you should pick them up sequentially from the top one to the bottom - it'll give you time to be familiar with the game before getting to the actiony bits. The equipment interface is a tad clunky and sometimes I found myself without a sword - it had disappeared for no reason. Finally, the thing that also disappointed me is how short Chapter 3 was - but I've heard that they will be adding more to that chapter for free once the xbox version comes out. A great experience overall. Collapse

1. Oct 21, 2011