8.5

1. Jan 4, 2012
    This game tries to achive DirectX 11 graphics in the DirectX 9 API. There are some very technical D3D9 effects that should have been done in DirectX 11 but they are done in the slower DirectX 9 which is what makes this game more demanding on the graphics adapter than other games with better graphics. If you're rating only the gameplay and story, it is an easy game to pick up and be takenThis game tries to achive DirectX 11 graphics in the DirectX 9 API. There are some very technical D3D9 effects that should have been done in DirectX 11 but they are done in the slower DirectX 9 which is what makes this game more demanding on the graphics adapter than other games with better graphics. If you're rating only the gameplay and story, it is an easy game to pick up and be taken by because of the medival characters and environments. The conversation trees add to how the story is difficult to follow & the quests will be repetative. In conclusion the performance issue and obvious dated DX9 API graphics can be so distracting that it is difficult to follow the typical and predictable gameplay, but it is a very unique rendition about a medival story. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Follow suit other game developers/publishers! Releasing games DRM free rather then including intrusive rubbish such as Steamworks or Securom that punish customers is a great way to get people supporting your games and company.
  3. Jun 10, 2012
    This game has a breath taking scenic beauty to start with. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is very cool too. You get totally engrossed in the story of the game after Chapter 1. For me, this is the game of the year!
  4. Feb 21, 2012
    This game is ultimate. Its RPG elements are huge, and your choices really matter. In theory, there are 4 endings, but with all the different options you could take, there are thousands. The graphics are absolutely top of the notch. I play on a laptop, and usually go for Ultra or at least High, which I can run easily. Here, I went with Medium-medium-high, I couldn't run anything higher, yetThis game is ultimate. Its RPG elements are huge, and your choices really matter. In theory, there are 4 endings, but with all the different options you could take, there are thousands. The graphics are absolutely top of the notch. I play on a laptop, and usually go for Ultra or at least High, which I can run easily. Here, I went with Medium-medium-high, I couldn't run anything higher, yet the graphics were still better than any game I've ever seen. The gameplay and controls take a while to get used to, but once you do, you'll find them very easy and fluent. And the thing I like most - the package it comes with. CDProjektRed weren't skimpy when it came to that. Even the lowest edition I could find comes in a big box, with the game, soundtrack, map, manual, game guide, papercraft figures and a coin and letter thing which are relevant to Act 2 of the story if you went with Vernon Roche and not Iorveth. In short, I love it! Expand
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    Best game of 2011. Combat is meh, but this game isn't about combat. It's about amazing story with moral choices. Usually you can do either bad, or worse choice. Love it.
  6. Feb 27, 2012
    Got it by the case and was set up critical. But totally changed my mind so soon..
    One of the greatest games ever. Same rank as Mass Effect. Enjoyed from beginning to the end and still want to play it again different storyline. Great game.
  7. Mar 21, 2012
    A true modern RPG . Good story telling , allowing player to make choices . Hard , complex but nice combat mechanics . Graphics very nice , sounds ok , More better then all of the RPG titled games in the market now .
    If you like RPG , do not miss this one . If you did not , play The witcher too before starting second one . You will have more fun .
  8. May 16, 2012
    Best game ever, best RPG, best choices and consequences, best story, best graphics, best soundtrack, best voice acting best gameplay....best in every way. What do you want more than that? obviously 10.
  9. May 17, 2012
    When you waiting promises, and after you get even more - a masterpiece is born. The game does not leave any chance to throw it on the back burner, as often happens with good games. Each bit of this creation gives the quality and consistency. From the Start menu to the title. I found no flaws. This game troll's head and shoulders above than any of its competitors. That such should beWhen you waiting promises, and after you get even more - a masterpiece is born. The game does not leave any chance to throw it on the back burner, as often happens with good games. Each bit of this creation gives the quality and consistency. From the Start menu to the title. I found no flaws. This game troll's head and shoulders above than any of its competitors. That such should be games today. Such games putting virtual entertainment on the same shelf with traditional entertainment, like a book and movie. This is a masterpiece, no doubt. Bravo CD-Project RED! Expand
  10. May 21, 2012
    It's just an excellent game. Nowadays it's really hard to find such a good storyline in any games. In spite of that the game provides you with a great intuitive combat system, fantastic graphics and animations plus really good cutscenes. Interesting characters, deepth of the story, multiple choices to solve the problems and push the story forward, this is just how it should be done inIt's just an excellent game. Nowadays it's really hard to find such a good storyline in any games. In spite of that the game provides you with a great intuitive combat system, fantastic graphics and animations plus really good cutscenes. Interesting characters, deepth of the story, multiple choices to solve the problems and push the story forward, this is just how it should be done in modern games. It's just a "must have" for all cRPG fans. Expand
  11. May 24, 2012
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. The story is great, the gameplay is outstanding, and there is quite the replay value. There are some technical issues, especially, when you want to play with gamepad, and the technical support seems to be non existant, but overall it's a must buy for any RPG player.
  12. May 25, 2012
    IMHO, the best 2011 RPG (real RPG) game with an interesting story, unique well thought out world and quite challenging encounters and I like its humour :-). Shame it has not been advertised as much as other games for The Witcher is better than Skyrim (which appeared to be rather boring for me and anyway is not true RPG anymore, but has bigger marketing budjet to pay critics:-))
  13. May 17, 2011
    Witcher 2 is an awesome game. Everything in it is great: world, characters, dialogues and story. Game looks and runs great on many different PCs. This is one of the best rpg I have ever played. You can call Witcher 2 Game of The Year.
  14. May 21, 2011
    Finished this game, was never able to finish BG, DA, ME, NWN or any other RPG's since Deus Ex. Every one of them gets boring after 50% story. Now onto 2nd play-through.
  15. May 17, 2011
    This game is very good cRPG. Beautiful locations and graphics, interesting quests, super gameplay and wonderful atmosphere makes it extremely. Polish, good job! :)
  16. May 18, 2011
    I am sure that the Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings will be RPG of the year 2011. Amazing graphics, great and nonlinear story, nice dialogs, tactical and innovative combat system are just a few of many advantages of The Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings. For sure each money are worth to spend on this game.
  17. May 21, 2011
    An amazing game.
    A game for people that don't need their hands held when they think they need to pee.
    A mature game with grey decisions that have real consequences for the player.
    A mix of control styles for different events.
    Fascinating enemies, huge beautiful areas. (Not the same tiny little zones re-used multiple times)
  18. May 25, 2011
    At first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. IAt first, I was disappointed a little bit, because some major mechanics of the game are entirely different. I loved the realistic inventory system of Witcher 1, that's gone completely. But that's not a big issue, we get a more traditional RPG inventory system now. It may use some tweaks however, and I'm sure they'll be delivered with the future patches. Combat is totally different. I always wanted more games like God of War, Batman: AA, or Darksiders on PC, because of their combat mechanics, and Witcher 2 delivers that. You need practice however, and higher difficulties punish the players if not careful, especially Insane; you cannot load your saves if you die. Hardcore mode so to speak. Really enjoying the combat mechanics.

Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and I've played other games that support DX11 and so on. I just can't believe this is a DX9 game. However, many players experience FPS problems with high-end PCs, but that's not entirely their fault, as AMD and NVidia are working on hotfixes to address the issues in the game. Patience, and you won't have any trouble.

Voice acting, music and sounds are really good. Especially the music, it is a vast improvement over Witcher 1 in my opinion.

I just love this game. And I throw my hat off to developers. It seems they knew what they wanted, aimed for it, and bullseye... A perfect PC game!
  19. May 24, 2011
    Has to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badlyHas to be a Ten for one simple reason. Cd Project have made the game both witcher fans and rpg fans have always wanted, not the game that the shareholders wanted released ASAP. I personnelly have not been so challenged by any game on normal settings in recent times as i have been with the witcher 2, the quick load button is almost destroyed lol But this is not like many others badly designed games that punish your mistakes. the simple fact is if you dont react correctly you get burned lol Also this has been welcome because of some of the combat issues i had in the witcher 1. I could complete the whole game only having to use a few health potions rendering Alchemy irrelivent which in the world of the witcher should be a must have. In terms of role playing aswell i love the fact not everthing is spoon fed to me. For example go kill x monsters. Most rpgs would be strait on the mini map showing you exactly were to go and tell you what to do. The witcher 2 makes you explore and makes you research ways of defeating monsters instead of running in hack and slash return to quest giver thanks for the gold!! last but not least the cinematics and voice acting are top class! CD Project have one problem now! How do they top the witcher 2? Expand
  20. May 24, 2011
    I couldn't play the first Witcher just because of how unplayable it was gameplay wise, while I admit it had a great story, it wasn't good enough for me to struggle through the game to find out what happened.
    This left me a bit confused in the Witcher 2, but I'm glad I played it and was incredibly disappointed at the end, for the sole reason there wasn't anymore to play. It has a fantastically complex storyline and character development with a choice coming up in quick succession leading to a completely changed world by your actions. The World is also very mature, racial discrimination, injustice, murder, suicide, these all make the game a very adult and enthralling story that gets you caught up in in very quickly.

The game does have a few annoyances (picking things up from bodies or using objects is rather difficult at times) but they can have absolutely no impact on an absolutely amazing game like this.
    I hated the first one, but this one is possibly the best game I have ever played.
  21. May 26, 2011
    Why a 9? I'm saving the 10 for Witcher 3 if CD Project continues to redefine artistic integrity, passion and love for the detail in the next game. The never ending platform, corporate fandom and genre wars that games like this one tend to incite, are just another confirmation that there is a serious need for games that don't treat the gamer like a idiot. The game is a nearly seamlessWhy a 9? I'm saving the 10 for Witcher 3 if CD Project continues to redefine artistic integrity, passion and love for the detail in the next game. The never ending platform, corporate fandom and genre wars that games like this one tend to incite, are just another confirmation that there is a serious need for games that don't treat the gamer like a idiot. The game is a nearly seamless continuation to the previous incredibly atmospheric game, and features a protagonist that is more the player than some custom characters in other games. The combat: After finally remembering the importance of the sword/sign variety and alchemy from the first game it became a nearly flawless experience, at times difficult but incredibly rewarding. A game that doesn't hold the players hand and spoon feeds Him to the solution, a challenge for the physical and logical skills of the player. Spectacular finishers that are worthy investing time in character development . A welcome addition, because most of the recent games are somehow confusing difficulty with complexity, and allowing the gaming experience to be only a Hand-Eye Coordination test, when gaming is so much more. The World: The vibrant visuals, the living world, the interesting NPC's with their daily and nightly schedule, the love in the environmental detail, vastly improved dialogues, the atmospheric sound scheme and musical score are simply put amazing. A game that is a technical and performance challenge for many modern PC's, is a game that actually doesn't need any of these, simply because similar to the first game a poster on the wall or road sign in this game, puts to shame many games out there that are made with the idea
    that the player will not notice or care about the detail. Maybe the player will not notice, but it's not up to the developer to decide that for every player, but make it available for those that want it. The the story questline and Geralt's character progression are something that puts the Witcher2 right in the instant classic's department, simply because it manages to do one of the most important parts in a RPG right- the player impact. Next to the stunning visuals it's a game that brings choice and consequence to the next level by creating a completely different chapter depending on the player's choices, a rare feature when most modern RPG's allow only a few different lines, or minor Cinematics without player input.. A game with high replay value just for that.
    The characters: Geralt, the often misperceived main protagonist of the books and games is actually a character that
    is not a man of words, but a pragmatist sometimes unaware of His qualities.
    The essential NPC's: Each one of them has different motives, something that provokes the player to dwell on His own decisions, gray moral choices and cleverly developed characters that make the player hate the good or half good guys and sympathize with the evil or half evil guys, it is a fantastic expansion of the rich world created by A.Sapkowski. The spirit of the books even if adapted for gaming needs is alive and welcoming. â
  22. May 24, 2011
    A beautiful living world with a fantastic non-linear story, can't ask anything more from an RPG. Combat took a bit of getting used to, as it's unforgiving to mistakes, but it makes it all the more rewarding and immersive as you need to plan before, and make the right decisions during combat.

There's only one thing that can challenge Witcher 2, and that's Skyrim. But I'll love them both.
  23. May 24, 2011
    Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling"Amazing!! I'm not a big RPG fan, but I bought this game on a whim and I can't seem to stop playing. It's refreshing to play a game that actually challenges you during combat. There's very little hand-holding in this game and occasionally your character **gasp** dies from your mistakes! The graphics are also top notch and will set the new benchmark for PC punishment... the "Uber Sampling" option can bring any current GPU to it's knees. The only negative is the fact that you can't remap some of the keys for combat (a stupid oversight by the development team), but there's an update on the way to fix this issue. Expand
  24. May 23, 2011
    Though I could probably point out a hundred flaws in it, overall the game is amazing. That sort of game where you can feel that the developers honestly put their hearts into making it.

My only big gripe in this game was the combat. The basic concept of the combat mechanics is fine, especially in the context of the game world. However the execution is flawed; many enemies are able to kill the player's character in two-three hits even on normal difficulty, which is not a problem by itself, however when unresponsive controls start getting into the way this becomes rather annoying. In addition, the balancing between the skill trees is far from perfect, as some abilities are absolutely critical to survive on harder difficulties while many others are pretty useless.
  25. May 17, 2011
    Fantastic games!
    Probably the best RPG in the world ;]
    Games of the Year 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  26. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10+AwsomeStuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and 10+ Expand
  27. May 17, 2011
    Is M_Stannard another one of BioWares people voting on metacritic? Anyways, this game is super fun and hard. It looks and play amazingly. Some changes are a little awkward at first, like having to meditate before using potions, but you will get the hang of it.
  28. May 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most immersive cRPG games ever made. If your are fan of Dark Fantasy Worlds, you must own it. I didn't have so much fun with RPG game since the last Witcher or even better .... Planescape Torment!!! Expand
  29. May 22, 2011
    In my opinion is Game of the Year. Fantastic world, dialogs, combat ... all is fantastic. Story is the best of all games ever! Sapkowski is master of fantasy. I must read him books, not only The Witcher.
  30. May 22, 2011
    Never seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super madNever seen such a story. Must - have, must - play. This is how you do it. Deep character system? Check Epic story? Check Engaging combat? Check No DRM? Check Same price across regions? Check Free DLC forever? Check CD Projekt is the anti-EA/Bioware. Game looks absolutely fantastic. Dialogue is immersive and well written. m_stannard is a gelatinous, buttperturbed jackass who is super mad DA2 sucked dick. Expand

1. Pelit (Finland)