The Witcher: Enhanced Edition PC

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Sep 16, 2008
8.5

1. Jun 16, 2016
    This game blew my mind. This game is in my opinion what the perfect rpg looks like. The story is amazing, the characters are interesting, and this game has ACTUAL different routes that you can take, which result in different endings and world states. Sure, the combat is somewhat clunky, and there are some other minor flaws but those are nothing compared to the pros. 10/10 one of the bestThis game blew my mind. This game is in my opinion what the perfect rpg looks like. The story is amazing, the characters are interesting, and this game has ACTUAL different routes that you can take, which result in different endings and world states. Sure, the combat is somewhat clunky, and there are some other minor flaws but those are nothing compared to the pros. 10/10 one of the best rpg experiences I've ever had! Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2016
    This Game just became a legend a many years ago, this fantastic world which Mr Sapkowski created have a magnificent slavic and Polish accent that can not be counterfeited
  3. Jun 5, 2016
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition retains and significantly improves what made the original game feel so special, yet ultimately leaves a number of flaws untouched.
  4. Jun 4, 2016
    The Witcher is an RPG that tries to do things a little bit differently.
    Focus is on preparation of your battle, not on the battle itself: the right potions, bombs and skills will make any battle easy but lack of them may make simple battles next to impossible (depending on difficulty).
    The Witcher is an RPG that tries to do things a little bit differently.
    There's a deep story in this game with hard choices to be made with sometimes unforeseen consequences later in the game that the player must live with.
    It gives you a fantasy medieval universe yet it is a dark one where racism, hate, politic backstabbing and sickness plague its inhabitants.

If you enjoy an RPG with a good story and deep choices or you simply want to see how The Witcher began (in the games) then this game is definitely worth picking up.

Keep in mind that this game has little hand-holding and you may feel lost at times. You may also encounter some graphical glitches like I have (beards were flying everywhere xD).

It's a great journey if you're willing to forgive it's shortcomings.
  5. Jun 2, 2016
    The atmosphere, the graphic, the landscape art are amazing. The music and sounds fit the game. The fighting system is very creative, i liked it. I liked the story too. Maybe the best RPG, i have ever played.
  6. May 20, 2016
    Достойное начало игровой трилогии о ведьмаке Геральте из Ривии.

Игра с замечательным саундтреком, который слушать одно удовольствие. Не плохой сюжет, который даёт нам погрузиться с полна в этот чудесный игровой мир. Интересные квесты, которые дают нормальную свободу выбора и/или дадут ощутить себя в шкуре ведьмака. Игра не линейна. Не на 100%, но есть не плохой выбор действий.
    Достойное начало игровой трилогии о ведьмаке Геральте из Ривии.

Игра с замечательным саундтреком, который слушать одно удовольствие.
    Игра не линейна. Не на 100%, но есть не плохой выбор действий.
    Графика не блещет, но не за это стоит любить первого ведьмака.
    Управление заточено только под клавиатура+мышь и для некоторых может показаться специфичным.

Игра рекомендована любому любителю жанра RPG. Спасибо за игру польским разработчикам из CD Project RED. Польша STRONG!!
  7. May 13, 2016
    So, this game is a treasure. This game marks the start of the amazing Witcher saga. So what if it looks kind of dated? So what if the combat is tedious sometimes and little wonky? The storytelling and lore in this game is so good. I'd go so far as to say the story of this game might be better than the main story of Witcher 3. I have a soft spot for this game, but I think you should give itSo, this game is a treasure. This game marks the start of the amazing Witcher saga. So what if it looks kind of dated? So what if the combat is tedious sometimes and little wonky? The storytelling and lore in this game is so good. I'd go so far as to say the story of this game might be better than the main story of Witcher 3. I have a soft spot for this game, but I think you should give it a shot. One note, after the prologue chapter and the 1st chapter. The second chapter is pretty hard to get through because it's awful. Look at a guide, mod it, and try to make it through that piece of **** It's not bad story-wise, but it's so tedious that it made me stop playing the game the first time I went through until I figured out a way the lessen how horrible it was. BUT OTHER THAN THAT! PLAY THIS GAME! It's got a great ending twist and really sets up an awesome trilogy of games. Expand
  8. May 4, 2016
    Some people mention The Witcher on the same level as some classics like Baldurs Gate 2, Morrowind, Knight of the old Republic 2 etc. In my view this game could be it, but the gameplay is not good enough. But step by step:
    The world is on world class level: The NPCs got a lot of life, there are many details to discover, the political background is detailed and complex. In addition you have very good music. The dialogs are on top level: adult, happy, direct. One of the best, I could read since a long time. The story is well written and well presented. Not a big epos, but on a very good level. If you didnt have enough of this game, you can download a lot of mods. I played with a texture mod, that enhanced the graphic from 2011.

The problem: the gameplay and that means, the core of every game: In the beginning I was excited about it, but it changed fastly. The fighting with the sword is mostly a reaction game, greetings from arcade games. In addition the controling is very bad, sometimes Gerald simply didnt do the commands, because the game played the animations to the end. There are some other gameplay elements, that are annoying. Yes, the inventar is still too small.

Result: Surely a very good game, but not top
  9. Feb 15, 2016
    Let me start by saying: Please do not buy the game expecting gameplay or graphics too similar to Witcher 2 or 3! This game is quite a bit older than the two others, and has a different style.
    HOWEVER! What this game has going for it is another strong story and a lot of atmosphere. This is what the company got right even in this first game. It is obvious that the team truly loves the source (the books and stories) and the world and story in this game, IMO, is VERY immersive.

The playstyle is quite different, just like the graphics. It reminds me a bit more of Diablo, as it's click-to-move. You have different stances which you switch with keys, according to what you are fighting. Of course, alchemy and signs are in this game as well, as they are just of a trademark of the character as the two swords are.

The game is showing it's age, as the graphics are of course not comparable to the later games, and it's quite interesting to compare the mechanics of the games, and see how the series developed.
    But even though this game has weaknesses and will feel VERY different compared to the later ones (total readjustment especially regarding combat), it still has tons of atmosphere and, as I said, a fascinating story. It's actually quite impressive how much the (back then) small company put into this game.

If you don't mind the fact that the game is a bit older and therefore is very different regarding graphics and playstyle, if you care about the characters (of course, many of the beloved characters from the stories and the other games appear here, for example Triss and Vesemir) and the story, you might find yourself quite immersed, and if you are willing to adjust to the very different movement and combat, you might enjoy it a lot. I sure did!
  10. Feb 9, 2016
    Rather good RPG but now gameplay and graphics feels kinda old. There is a lot references to The Witcher books what is nice. The score I gave to this game is based on my last experience with it.
  11. Feb 3, 2016
    This Game Is Great And Let Me Tell You You Will Freaking Get A Nerd Boner Of How Great It Is As Much As I Love Witcher 3. Yes it is a better game but this game just gives me a great feeling each time i play it i love this game so much. So stop listening to me and get the game u retard hope u have fun playing the game best of luck
  12. Dec 5, 2015
    I am a fan of the Witcher series since I've read the books back in 2005 or so (and this fact really helped enjoy the game better) however even if you haven't read the books - this is a very good RPG in itself.

The pros: + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way. + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive. + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get

The pros:
    + Good quality graphics, not a big deal for me gotta get that out of the way.
    + Wonderful soundtrack. Really immersive.
    + A nice "dark fantasy" world. Where elves get racially discriminated, town guards take drugs as bribes, and use said drugs... Witches are trying to survive the ignorant mod that fears and hates them.
    + No "good vs. evil" - just a lot of people (and other creatures) with their conflicting goals, feels and wants.
    + With the above said - often you can decide who to help and how to judge those around you.
    + A lot of character development. You start as a guy who can barely deal with a couple rabid dogs, and end up taking out dragons (well, not quite 40-meter-long High Dragons like those found in Dragon Age, but 6-meter-long Wyverns) - multiple at a time, and beating much more dangerous creatures, as well as armed human enemies (mages, angry Templars, etc).
    + Not a lot of grinding for better gear. In fact you start out with quite decent gear: a Witcher's Steel and Silver sword, and not until quite late in the game can you find a weapon that's better.
    + There are ways to get very VERY powerful, if you figure out how to. It's no cheating or bug, just strategies that you HAVE TO learn if you wanna play on HARD. And there are multiple ones.
    + There are rune stones to use as a permanent upgrade to a sword, and it's nice that the better gear is rare and interesting to find, craft and upgrade (rather than something you can buy from the town merchant - just collect 100'000 gold, like in many RPGs)
    + Unique items are obtained through truly unique experiences, that may make you value them to a point that I chose to keep that item throughout Witcher-II game (using the import save feature)
    + No **** quests like "go hunt 10 squirrels and bring me the furs". Most quests are backed with a story that something really bad happened, and only a Witcher can help the person in need.
    + The quests match the protagonist, and feel on-the-spot. So unlike Commander Shepard saving the galaxy, and then being told to deal with some scumbags that stole something from a merchant, or the Inquisitor in Dragon Age looking for a lost cow.
    + Interesting characters. Many from the book. Yes you can make relationships with them, and even cheat on them if you wish to :-)
    + Overall, there are a lot of strategic and tactical things you are encouraged to learn, and a few things to upgrade (weapon and armor), but in a thoughtful way, (rather than the grind-to-get-top-level-gear way) the game is really hard to play on HARD unless you understand how to play it right.

Cons:
    - You can't jump over a knee-high fence. WTF. But sometimes you can jump over the head of an enemy - this happens somewhat
    - The combat is a bit scripted... Not very manual control (no jump, no sprint, no duck or block), kind of an RTS-like feel to it. The "click at right time to strike a combo" is not bad, but gets old a bit too quickly. Maybe a love-it-or-hate-it thing.
    - The game world is a few isolated locations. They aren't very big either. Granted, they are nicely detailed, but will probably feel tiny to players coming from TES.
  13. Nov 2, 2015
    If you are into RPGs, give this a try. I sure did a few months ago and it was great, I loved it.

On the contrary of many people here who claim there are bugs, I myself did not encounter any such bugs through the entirety of my playthrough (64 hours), but I must admit, in some parts the story IS cliched but in some it is really original and fresh. Some people say it's mysogynist, I don't mind, that is their opinion. But this game is not made with the idea to be offensive to women, but to portray how it actually was in medieval times, when women certainly did not have the same rights as men.

Back on topic, if you played TW2 or TW3 before touching this, you will probably not enjoy it as much as I did, infact I didn't like TW2 one bit when I seen all the difference from the first game to the second game. To this day I don't consider TW2 a true RPG, but more of a half life with rpg elements forced in.
    Then there's the debate of combat, how combat isn't very good. Well my opinion is that the combat is pretty good, with all the different styles you had to choose from and adapt depending on your enemy, and the animtions/executions were pretty satisfying I think. There is no dodging, which is probably the most iconic thing of TW2 combat, and that's just not good in my opinion.

Anyway, story isn't that bad with iconic characters growing on you as you progress int he game.

The one thing the game is severely, objectively, lacking in is the voice acting department. It has really low quality but then again the game is pretty low budget. In the Enhanced Edition they re-did almost all of Geralt's lines and maybe others, but when you find old lines it's pretty funny to see how bad they were.
    The graphics aren't half bad either, with a few mods making them even better. I myself didn't use any mods for my first paythrough, and would definitely use a few if I'm ever planning to play it again.
  14. Oct 7, 2015
    It's been said many times over but I'll echo, the combat leaves A LOT to be desired the the story and characters save the day big time! A- Great game with just a few minor faults.
  15. Oct 1, 2015
    The Witcher is an incredible RPG. I could not stop playing. The story is absolutely amazing, it really keeps you interested and all the characters are very believable. The world is not completely open but it feels open. The gameplay is a little rough but eventually you will get used to it and the story will make you want to finish.
  16. Aug 25, 2015
    Many people are complaining about control settings, about romance cards, about voice acting. However, I love that game. I may be biased, because I'm a huge Witcher books fan, but still. References to culture, literature, and slavic and nordic myths are spot on, the whole game is full of them. These are not even easter eggs, the game is BUILT AROUND this references and you have to haveMany people are complaining about control settings, about romance cards, about voice acting. However, I love that game. I may be biased, because I'm a huge Witcher books fan, but still. References to culture, literature, and slavic and nordic myths are spot on, the whole game is full of them. These are not even easter eggs, the game is BUILT AROUND this references and you have to have pretty impressive knowledge to see.
    Story-wise its a great continuation of the Witcher Saga. Many characters known from books are present in the game. Shani, Triss, Zoltan and more.
    Controls could be better. Its a mild disadvantage that you cant use a controller. In sequels you can use a controller and the experience is so much better.
  17. Aug 5, 2015
    Have just completed it. One of my favourite games now.
    Have just completed it. One of my favourite games now.
    But seriously the game is marvellous. Graphics are pretty good despite engine CDProjectRed used was bad, soundtrack is glorious (felt satisfaction running around in Chapter IV, best incidental music imho) and the greatest - plot. The plot is absolutely perfect, no matter how many jerks are creating story for all those over9000k-cost games, it won't be as intriguing, as gripping, as great as plot in "The Witcher".
    P.S.: Really 1 of my favourite games now.
  18. Jul 14, 2015
    Despite a lot of flaws and shortcomings The Witcher the best single-player fantasy CRPG of all published since Baldur`s Gate. The game is not standard and has a incredible atmosphere. The Witcher it is a rare product of the gaming industry, and industry role-playing games in particular. The game does not have the analog. The case when the developers have put own soul into the game, and didDespite a lot of flaws and shortcomings The Witcher the best single-player fantasy CRPG of all published since Baldur`s Gate. The game is not standard and has a incredible atmosphere. The Witcher it is a rare product of the gaming industry, and industry role-playing games in particular. The game does not have the analog. The case when the developers have put own soul into the game, and did so with the mind. The only flaw of the game in my opinion is old graphics engine, but otherwise it's a masterpiece. The game gives an unforgettable experience... get used to the role of Geralt of Rivia and live.. Expand
  19. Jul 4, 2015
    A strange, and strangely engrossing, RPG that took my about 80 hours to finish. About 30 of those hours were well-written, but generally poorly voice acted, story content. About 15 of the hours I spent were in the game's simplistic and easy, though annoyingly unresponsive sometimes, combat system. Finally, about 35 of the hours I spent were those simply running from place to place. TheA strange, and strangely engrossing, RPG that took my about 80 hours to finish. About 30 of those hours were well-written, but generally poorly voice acted, story content. About 15 of the hours I spent were in the game's simplistic and easy, though annoyingly unresponsive sometimes, combat system. Finally, about 35 of the hours I spent were those simply running from place to place. The massive levels in this game and the fact that there is really no fast travel system makes it a chore to get from place to place for quests and other tasks.
    However, the story content, characters, and player choices in gameplay (that have immediate and deferred consequences) make it all worthwhile. Overall, it was an incredible experience to play, although it still runs less than adequately on modern systems.
  20. Jun 17, 2015
    A solid and enjoyable game overall. What differentiates The Witcher from other RPGs is its superior character development and moral ambiguity. Choice and consequence is definitely a major component of the story, and it's interesting to see how it all manifests in the later chapters.

Unfortunately, the game is slow to start, and the story doesn't really move forward until reaching Chapter 2 and 3. The combat system is similar in that it feels clunky initially, but you learn to tolerate and even enjoy it upon learning more signs and becoming more familiar with it, though fighting drowners and other trash slowly becomes more arduous and repetitive as you progress. Other criticisms include the sheer amount of backtracking there is, particularly in chapters 1, 2 and 4. Also, the weird quest progression in chapter 2.

Overall rating: 7.7/10
  21. Jun 3, 2015
    The Witcher is an amazing game that combines a solid story with characters that have their own identity. At first the gameplay seems uncomfortable but the more you play it, the more you adapt to it. The graphics and soundtrack merge to make the world of The Witcher more vibrant and appealing. Diversity is key here since the quests reinforce the story and make the game itself a lot moreThe Witcher is an amazing game that combines a solid story with characters that have their own identity. At first the gameplay seems uncomfortable but the more you play it, the more you adapt to it. The graphics and soundtrack merge to make the world of The Witcher more vibrant and appealing. Diversity is key here since the quests reinforce the story and make the game itself a lot more enjoyable to play again. The decision making, the variety of the enemies/characters and the magnificent story are some of the strongest aspects of this game. The Witcher isn't a perfect game considering the technical issues of the time and some limits of the game itself but it doesn't stop it to become one of the best RPGs of all time. Expand
  22. May 25, 2015
    Gameplay
    -Controls are mediocre
    -Click accuracy is an issue both in combat and looting and is frustrating at times +Combat is fun but... -Deaths can be cheap +3 difficulty modes. Normal was not very challenging. Presentation +Fantastic story +Graphics still somewhat hold up against newer 3d titles. Environments are very nice -Locations are recycled quite often +UI does its job
    Gameplay
    -Controls are mediocre
    +Combat is fun but...
    -Deaths can be cheap
    +3 difficulty modes. Normal was not very challenging.

Presentation
    +Fantastic story
    -Locations are recycled quite often
    +UI does its job
    +Sound FX are perfect. Sword fighting doesn't sound much better than this
    +Excellent soundtrack
    -Early Bioware style conversations with cardboard NPCs

Enjoyment
    +The story kept me wanting more
    +Combat is fairly exciting
    -Be prepared for a LOT of walking through empty space and backtracking
    -Can only track one quest at a time which led to many an inefficient route while completing side missions

Other
    +The length of the game felt just right
    +The ending and conclusionary action felt rewarding

Biggest Pros
    +The story and lore
    +Rewarding sidequests
    +Strongly written dialogue and decent voiceover

Biggest Cons
    -The game not listening to where you click is frustrating and it happens often
    -NPCs look terrible and act wonky in cutscenes but such was the time the game was made

This game is worth a playthrough and is fun.
  23. May 21, 2015
    There were so many graphics that my PC turned off and wouldn't come back, even though it survived everything from ACU to FC4 to Dying Light at Ultra settings. 10/10 would blow up my PSU again.
  24. May 19, 2015
    Great meaningful story is definitely the strongest advantage of the game. What developers made out of the old NWN engine is simply astonishing. One of the few cRPGs that are not only about grinding monsters, collecting loot and leveling up, must-play for fans of the genre.

On the bad side - combat system makes encounters repetitive, so if you're a lot into action games, lower the score to 8/10.
  25. May 15, 2015
    PROS:
    - Geralt's character development (with quite original method of talents)
    - potion making (includes picking of herbs, harvesting jaws of vampires etc.) - moral choices reflecting in changing attitudes of other characters - multitude of quests - some parts are really intense - deep, immersive story - nice music, beautiful landscapes, amazing architecture - seducing women is
    PROS:
    - Geralt's character development (with quite original method of talents)
    - potion making (includes picking of herbs, harvesting jaws of vampires etc.)
    - moral choices reflecting in changing attitudes of other characters
    - multitude of quests
    - some parts are really intense
    - deep, immersive story
    - nice music, beautiful landscapes, amazing architecture
    - seducing women is kind of fun
    - becoming master of dice poker and fist fighting is also kind of fun
    - original monsters

MEH:
    - somewhere midgame you get a lot of bothersome "run here, talk, run there, talk" quests
    - you need to adjust to game's combat system
    - first 30-90 minutes of the game are kind of boring

CONS:
    - you don't get to use many weapons or armors, because other weapons than swords are not usable in witcher battle styles making them ineffective especially later in the game
    - after you start feeling which skills are important and focus on developing them, fighting becomes quite easy

Overall: you need to bite the bullet and endure the first hour of the game. After that you get a really good, immersive RPG with damn good story and lots of locations.
  26. May 3, 2015
    I'd tried a few times to enjoy this game before and it had always eluded me. With Witcher 3 coming up and looking so impressive I decided I would plant myself in front of Witcher 2 until I had given it time to grow on me or cement my disdain for it.
    I have to say I'm glad I did. Before, the combat didn't make sense, the quests seemed ambiguous and the general flow of the game felt plodding and ponderous.
    This time, something clicked and I found that with some patience I learnt how the combat was meant to feel and I fell in love with it (mostly). The seamless jump from an Aard sign to stun, to a quick attack to close, then heavy attacks to tear chunks from the enemies health is addictive and gripping. My only gripe is that most fights tend to be either simple affairs of one or two-hitting trash enemies or somewhat frustrating Yrden/backstab fests while you dodge multitudes of other enemies. It sounds worse than it is though, the combat is punchy and satisfying and I can’t wait for more in Witcher 3.
    The questing system is still a bit frustrating. The game doesn’t warn you when you’re about to fail quests because you cross an arbitrary point in the story that is incompatible with whatever side quest you might have been working on. Again, this is a minor complaint, the system isn’t punitive and for the most part it’s clear when you’re about to enter a major story quest and need to wrap things up before you go on.
    I don’t know what it was that clicked, but I really can’t think of much to fault this game on. If Witcher 3 is everything we’ve been promised then I can only imagine where RPG’s will go from here, because it will be hard to match, let alone beat.
  27. Apr 27, 2015
    Played it because I liked the look of Wild Hunt. Loved it! This is one of the best RPGs I've played since the KOTOR games and held my attention for some 70 hours and I didn't complete many of the side quests. Geralt is a character that puts most video game protagonists to shame and the decisions you make really influence the world and feel uniquely your own. Not easy to get into and I'mPlayed it because I liked the look of Wild Hunt. Loved it! This is one of the best RPGs I've played since the KOTOR games and held my attention for some 70 hours and I didn't complete many of the side quests. Geralt is a character that puts most video game protagonists to shame and the decisions you make really influence the world and feel uniquely your own. Not easy to get into and I'm sick of running around the Temple Quarter of Vizima but easily one of the best games I've played. Expand
  28. Mar 20, 2015
    The democratisation of dark-fantasy in video-games, just like Game Of Throne did with TV shows. Great graphics at the time, complex, well written and engaging story with choices that have true consequences in a true living world. The first entry in the series is remarkable: 40 hours of gameplay, good alchemy system, amazing story and universe but not flawless: the combat system is tooThe democratisation of dark-fantasy in video-games, just like Game Of Throne did with TV shows. Great graphics at the time, complex, well written and engaging story with choices that have true consequences in a true living world. The first entry in the series is remarkable: 40 hours of gameplay, good alchemy system, amazing story and universe but not flawless: the combat system is too simple and shops are useless and it would have been better if it was a true open-world instead of zone per act.
    I really did enjoy my time, but I know that the second and probably the third entry are even better and close to perfect, those one will deserve a 10, for The Witcher 1 I think 9 is more fair.
  29. Jan 3, 2015
    This is one of the best story driven RPGs ever made.

Its not without flaws - the second chapter is really confusing and slow paced but all in all not much bad to be said about the game. Its fantasy setting for grownups, dark could world like real medieval Europe not some cookie cut child version of it like in most western fantasy genre settings. It is difficult to dig in at first
    This is one of the best story driven RPGs ever made.

It is difficult to dig in at first because its completely different from standard in terms of leveling so you just have to go through couple of hours to get how things work and by then you should bee hooked.

Combat system is kind of limited but works well enough to get the action going.Its a strange game because at core its an action RPG but a REAL action RPG not an action/arcade game marketed as such.Because of this it could be a turn off to some, having an action RPG with limited combat focusing completely on story.

And the story is great, really top writing with a twist at the end you could not guess because of the structure of narrative.

Some people may not like it because its not stat based-there is really not much options regarding weapons and armor, but I think it works more than well its just different game NOT loot oriented. But when you do eventually through story progression and limited crafting options find new weapons they DO make a difference.

Potion making is the main thing regarding gear improvement.

Visually it looks great for 8 years old game, art direction is 100% and with perfect music scores gives incredible atmospheric feel.

At the end because of combat and some other minor cons i give it a 9, its not perfect but almost.
  30. Nov 11, 2014
    Decided to pick this up on a whim, and I'm glad I did as it led me to one of my favorite RPGs of all time (The Witcher 2).

This game is great for two reasons. First, it has some great ideas. Unfortunately, many of these great ideas aren't fleshed out as much as they could be; the developer being a small Polish company restricted how far they could take the game. Nonetheless, it still takes RPGs down roads they've never been before.

Second, it's not afraid to be dark and realistic in its themes. As an adult, I want tough, no-win choices, I want realistic violence, I want shades of grey in the story, I want dark humor, I want sex/nudity, and I want deep, interesting characters. The Witcher has all of that.

The Witcher is a worthy entry into the series and a good precursor to the amazing game that is The Witcher 2.
  31. Oct 26, 2014
    It's a good game. Flat-out likeable. Yet there's one flaw in it - the fighting system. Constant clicking. Once you get used to it, it will feel good enough and you'll make chains of attacks - but getting it can be oh so annoying. Even if you after some time return to the game - you'll get the feeling of 'oh **** I forgot it works like this.' The story is good, the graphics while slightlyIt's a good game. Flat-out likeable. Yet there's one flaw in it - the fighting system. Constant clicking. Once you get used to it, it will feel good enough and you'll make chains of attacks - but getting it can be oh so annoying. Even if you after some time return to the game - you'll get the feeling of 'oh **** I forgot it works like this.' The story is good, the graphics while slightly dated by now remain nice to see.
    It's an underrated classic sadly
  32. Aug 8, 2014
    O jogo é de 2008 mas estou jogando agora em 2014 e por isso já dá pra ter uma ideia da fama que o jogo possui.

Em termos de história, das escolhas morais pelas quests e das várias discussões dos diversos fóruns dedicados eu dou 10, mas pela jogabilidade atrasada, travada e bugs, 5. Assim:

História = 10
    Jogabilidade = 5

Nota = 7,5/10
  33. Aug 2, 2014
    The Witcher is a very strong, and in many ways, very different game from most RPGs on the market. It's take on fantasy adventuring offers emphasis on themes often overlooked by it's rivals in the genre; such as a focus on alchemy.

Firstly the positives: The game's lore is very well developed, and makes for an interesting setting, (obviously based on the books). The number and diversity

Firstly the positives:
    The game's lore is very well developed, and makes for an interesting setting, (obviously based on the books). The number and diversity of quests is extensive and can make for lots of game time.
    There is a focus on player choices which is always, in my opinion, well received, and the overall feel of the game is one of polish and time investment. There is also a semi-sandbox feel to the game, with NPCs strolling around the lands and changing their positions with respect to the time of the day.
    It should also be noted that the game's primary pathway, that of hunting monsters, is pleasingly explored. Being a monster hunter feels gratifying and feels like a respected and realistic profession within the game's universe, and there are other things to occupy your time when not monster hunting; such as dice poker which makes for a fun mini-game.

The negatives:
    The combat within the game, although perhaps appealing to some, is too simplistic and feels too unreaslistic for my personal taste. It has a floursihed arcade-style form of combat, similar to the kind of high pulsing combat you would find in a game like Super Smash Bros, or Soul Calibur. The NPCs and the world in which they inhabit (although perhaps a flimsy criticism I acknowledge) feel, to be honest, really weird to the point of being creepy. I often found it impossible to immerse myself in the game and it's lore because I found the characters portrayed to be amazingly un-charismatic, although this could be down to the below par voice acting.

The game is very unusual however in that it feels unlike any other RPG I have played and so is immune from comparison. I would encourage people to play this game to develop their own view on it, and not least because despite my few criticisms it is a very strong game to enjoy.
  34. Jul 7, 2014
    Finally got into The Witcher series, in preparation for the upcoming TW3, decided to start at the beginning, didn't expect all that much, but after about 50 hours of pure RPG bliss it took me to finish this, all I can say is WOW! and rank The Witcher among the very best RPG genre has to offer.

Classic RPG feeling, really good story, important decisions, interesting characters, nicely improved point&click combat system, for the time surprisingly beautiful visuals, humour, fun mini games, extensive alchemy, but what stole my heart the most were 2 things - setting and music. Impressively portrayed environments, not the typical dragons and crazy colored high fantasy, but rather more realistic medieval and darker European setting, I just loved exploring these locations, villages, cities, farming summer fields, forests and swamps. And on top of that, what truly glorifies this title is absolutely stunning soundtrack that fits every location perfectly and creates unforgettable moods, captivating you in its atmospheric embrace.

All the problems I heard about The Witcher such as the long loading times, bugs and crashes seemed to be all fixed in this enhanced edition as I never came across any problems and could enjoy this delightful RPG experience 100%.

Extremely pleasant surprise and one of the best titles in the genre. Now I'm just worried whether the next TW chapters will be even able to live up to this gem. 10/10
  35. Jul 5, 2014
    This game has a really good story and many hours of gameplay. Choices make outcomes, decisions are valued.

I did not like that it took about three chapters to get the hang of the battle system, and even when I did it was not that great. The storyline, however, is superb.
  36. Jul 4, 2014
    Игра шедевр. Одна только разветвленка в сюжете чего стоит. На данный момент самая лучшая игра во всем
  37. Jun 24, 2014
    The Witcher is a great RPG. The story is intriguing, the combat difficult, and the graphics, if you compare them to a game like dragon age origins,are pretty good. The combat system, on the other hand, isn't optimal. You have to choose between three different styles of fighting after which enemies you are facing. But, I would say that that is basically one of the only things that isThe Witcher is a great RPG. The story is intriguing, the combat difficult, and the graphics, if you compare them to a game like dragon age origins,are pretty good. The combat system, on the other hand, isn't optimal. You have to choose between three different styles of fighting after which enemies you are facing. But, I would say that that is basically one of the only things that is negative about it. It is a good game, and you have to buy it. Expand
  38. Jun 22, 2014
    I began to play the Witcher Enhanced Edition as a means to an end to play the second one and understand it. I thought it would be pretty dull and clumsy to play - in the words of Thorin Oakenshield, never have I been more wrong. This game has a distinct style, constant badassery, and great gameplay and quests. I was amazed that CD Projekt Red actually pulled off a game dripping with thisI began to play the Witcher Enhanced Edition as a means to an end to play the second one and understand it. I thought it would be pretty dull and clumsy to play - in the words of Thorin Oakenshield, never have I been more wrong. This game has a distinct style, constant badassery, and great gameplay and quests. I was amazed that CD Projekt Red actually pulled off a game dripping with this much content in 2007/8. Intriguing plot, actually interesting and real characters, and great locations (despite their lack of geographical variance). Onwards to the Witcher 2! Expand
  39. Jun 15, 2014
    I am not a fan of the combat system but the world is very immersive and the story is above average for a modern fantasy game. Graphics are very good for their time as well. Overall I feel if you are willing to deal with sub-par repetitive combat then you will have a fun time with the story and world building.
  40. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Geralt of Rivia, the smoothest badass ever created.
    My friends recommended me this game. I was struggling a lot in the beginning as well as everyone who played The Witcher. I hated this game and at times came very close to uninstalling it. But I always thought "they said its good, there must be more to it" and kept playing. Indeed, after 3-5 hours into the game I understood. Behind a complicated story, totally ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ talents and combat mechanics there lies one of the best RPG games I've ever played. After you grip the overall gameplay it will stop to irritate you and patterns will start to display. You will be able to enjoy the rich and immersive story, full of intrigues and twists and also those weird combats. The story is the strongest part of the game, it is very mature where decisions are hard with serious consequences and are never good or evil. They just define your political and personal preferences as you progress from an outcast monster killer. The game is also very long. I like to fulfill every quest, check all chests and barrels and enjoy games in general. With such approach, The Witcher took me 65 hours to finish. Every second was definitely worth it. Do yourself a favor, buy the game and play it. Don't get demotivated by prologue and the first act, keep playing and eventually you will get consumed, I guarantee you that. Last time this happened to me was when I played Fallout 2 few years ago, this game quite reminded me of it and I thank its creators for that.
  41. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    -The fighting system is kinda primitive.
    -The pacing can get slow at times. Pros: -Excellent story -Excellent characters, specially Geralt. -Awesome decision system and the way those decisions determine the events of the game. -The morale of the game rejects black and white perspectives, giving it a more realistic feel. -DRM free. -You collect cards of the girls you nail!
    Cons:
    -The fighting system is kinda primitive.
    -The pacing can get slow at times.

Pros:
    -Excellent story
    -Excellent characters, specially Geralt.
    -DRM free.
    -You collect cards of the girls you nail! XD
    -Minigames like dice poker are fun.
    -Amazing music.
  42. Apr 29, 2014
    Great game !
    I don't understand why people hate on the control of the game they are fine by me.
    I only played for a couple of hour but already I fined the story realy good.
    So I am giving this an 8 out of 10.

Recommended for people who love RPG's, great STORY's and fun GAMEPLAY ( this is a personal opinion).

Thank You for reading my review.
  43. Apr 20, 2014
    Probably the best PC RPG I've played. Mostly due to great plot, characters, factions and mostly interesting quests. An adult world where you can't please everyone. For these reasons, I enjoyed it more than Oblivion or Skyrim. However, the combat system is not as interesting, and the first 2 hours of the game might feel boring. Also, money does not really have value, as it is better to justProbably the best PC RPG I've played. Mostly due to great plot, characters, factions and mostly interesting quests. An adult world where you can't please everyone. For these reasons, I enjoyed it more than Oblivion or Skyrim. However, the combat system is not as interesting, and the first 2 hours of the game might feel boring. Also, money does not really have value, as it is better to just find the better stuff from enemies and environment. Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2014
    The Witcher I in my opinion is a testament to the role-playing genre.Set in a dark world filled with backstabbing friends,intriguing enemies and many more with no genuine morality,we are deeply engrossed in this tale of the redemption of the witcher Geralt of Rivia. With Solid role-playing mechanics which although nothing new, are a solid base through which the game shares its story.OneThe Witcher I in my opinion is a testament to the role-playing genre.Set in a dark world filled with backstabbing friends,intriguing enemies and many more with no genuine morality,we are deeply engrossed in this tale of the redemption of the witcher Geralt of Rivia. With Solid role-playing mechanics which although nothing new, are a solid base through which the game shares its story.One gets deeply immersed in this world filled to the brim with adult themes of sex,racism,politics.A Definite must buy for fans of mature fantasies. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2014
    The main selling point of The Witcher is its great story. This game is for adults and it's made in a way that makes the story very believable. People swear, steal, **** and murder. The plot in this game is a lot darker than in most other games and it really adds to the atmosphere.

Unfortunately, the fighting mechanics and menus/inventory are a mess and it hurts the gameplay quite a bit. Managing the inventory takes too long and the fights don't really feel fluid. Switching between stances quickly becomes tedious. The game also crashed a few times.

It's still a great RPG, especially if you are looking for a good story. Recommended.
  46. Feb 20, 2014
    It was real fun work. Funny story and immerse it in a high degree of freedom in the game. It was a little uncomfortable, but the combat system was okay.
  47. Feb 18, 2014
    I played the Witcher Enhanced Edition. There were flaws. It did crash on me a time or two. The combat mechanic took a little getting used to.
    But mostly I got caught up in the plot. Its been compared to a lot of games. Some of its generation, some coming after. But I don't know how anyone can compare it. Its as dark and mature as a game can come. But its not an open world. Its a kind of sandbox game, though the box is big enough you hardly notice it. Its a game driven by people and motivations. Really this game is like an engrossing novel. Without spoiling anything. This game is sporting the best twist in a game or show I've ever seen.
    Its a game that doesn't condescend. It is made for adults. (Unlike so many RPGs these days). The characters are characters. No one feel one dimensional. And the characters drive the plot.

I liked how when given dialogue options the character took your suggestion and said something along those lines but different. It added an element of unpredictability to dialogue.
    The whole thing with toxicity. Potions have a toxicity value. If you drink your way over 100 you die. As you get close to that point you see red flecks floating across the screen. The whole world changes when you drink Cat. All these things added a flavor to the game. Its like the first 2 Max Payne games. It has a style all its own. Its a game you play because your following the story and want to see what happens next.

And CD Projekt RED may just be the last bastion of sanity in the DRM craze that is sweeping games these days.
  48. Dec 3, 2013
    The Witcher. I already knew Witcher books before the game came out, so when I saw it on a store shelf I grabbed it without hesitation. This was the right choice. I completed the game 2 times, with different choices. The story is very mature and interesting. This is not a fairy-tale-like RPGish nonsense, it's based on Witcher books which are one of the best European dark fantasy series.The Witcher. I already knew Witcher books before the game came out, so when I saw it on a store shelf I grabbed it without hesitation. This was the right choice. I completed the game 2 times, with different choices. The story is very mature and interesting. This is not a fairy-tale-like RPGish nonsense, it's based on Witcher books which are one of the best European dark fantasy series. Geralt is my favorite character ever in a video game, closely followed by Ezio Auditore. Other characters very also very memorable.
    The game offers you a decent size world to explore, but filled with quests, interesting characters and mini-games like epic brawls in pubs. It never feels empty. The monsters are unique to the series, you won't meet any stereotype zombies and vampires. The combat system lacks somewhat, as it's very easy even on hard difficulty. It's backed up by excellent alchemy system, each potion really matters and have unique and powerful effects. Creating them is surprisingly satisfying, and since you can have only a few active due to them being toxic you need to choose carefully. There are also firecrackers and oils, so the crafting system is pretty robust. Your character gains talents that are basically skill points, skill trees are HUGE but not overwhelming and each skill does something different and interesting.
    As a bonus the game comes with a level editor so you can play player-created maps and quests after finishing the main story line.
    So does the Witcher have any flaws?
    Well the voice acting of main characters is superb, but minor characters very often have same voices, which is somewhat annoying. Also like I mentioned above combat is very easy once you grasp the basics.
    The world could have been bigger, it often feels like you don't have much space to breathe although it's never empty !

Worse than the second part in the series, but still a great game on it's own it earns a 9/10
  49. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: The games graphics do look great, with nice lighting and good character design. It’s Still not the best, especially for a 2007 game. Some of the environment looks unrealistic like the plants for example have no sense of life to them, overall though it still looks good. 8.
    Sound: Amazing calming themes, and great voice acting. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay is unique because
    Sound: Amazing calming themes, and great voice acting. 10.
    Gameplay: The gameplay is unique because it’s different from any game that I have played before. For starters the combat system is what makes this game unique. You have three different stances and different weapons which each are for particular type of enemies. Say your fighting a short dwarf, a stance changed to the hip would allow you to kill that particular enemy quicker, and if there’s a taller or bigger enemy that is attacking then a stance change where the witcher holds the sword above his head would be required. Now it’s not free combat where you just freely swing your weapon around. Instead you click on an enemy and the witcher begins to attack, then the arrow lights up and you must time your clicks with the mouse to keep the flow of combat going. Though this is something new, at times it feels overused and begins to get boring. Althought its always satisfying to switch to the lowest stance and hit enemies that surround you. The game is also a open world game similar to the elder scrolls games, but instead broken into chapter with each new chapter taking you to a newer area, or expanding on a previous one. The game is also similar to mass effect with conversation, and even allows you to make several choices which make an impact on the story. You can also develop relationships with characters such as romance, and earn sex cards for doing so. The leveling system is simple and there are plenty of skills to go through, although some may find it complex at first. The game allows for professions such as alchemy. 9.
    Story: I got lost trying to keep up with the story, because in the beginning its boring, but as you progress through the game, and near the end, it is satisfying. The game ends with a cliff hanger. 9.
    Lasting Appeal: Took me about 18 hours to complete the game, it’s definitely worth the 5 or 10 bucks I bought it from a steam sale (can’t remember exact price). 10.
    Overall Score: 9.2 out of 10.
  50. Oct 20, 2013
    There isn't any perfect game, but i haven't met a storiline like this before. Great graphics, great soundtrack, good combat (for an rpg), good paragraphs. The ballance isnt the best, but it gives some time of prepering, and thinking before big battles and overal. When I first played the game, it had half an our loading screens on my pc, now with the enhanced ed and my laptop its around 3There isn't any perfect game, but i haven't met a storiline like this before. Great graphics, great soundtrack, good combat (for an rpg), good paragraphs. The ballance isnt the best, but it gives some time of prepering, and thinking before big battles and overal. When I first played the game, it had half an our loading screens on my pc, now with the enhanced ed and my laptop its around 3 seconds. So this game is really close to my heart, and I think its a classic of the genre:D Expand
  51. Oct 10, 2013
    One of my favourite game for his great unlinear story, great characters, great soundtrack, good graphics and unique combat system, but there are few bugs, bad optimalization, but still i think this game is one of the best RPG games ever made.
  52. Sep 9, 2013
    I am playing this in 2013, for the first time. The Witcher is a long, immersive, detailed RPG. The story's flow is similar to likes of Baldur's Gate. The dialogue is mature, with some dry humour thrown in. Slightly different to your classic Warrior-Mage-Priest-Protagonist RPG types when it comes to character development, in that you are primarily a sword-user who can mix in various formsI am playing this in 2013, for the first time. The Witcher is a long, immersive, detailed RPG. The story's flow is similar to likes of Baldur's Gate. The dialogue is mature, with some dry humour thrown in. Slightly different to your classic Warrior-Mage-Priest-Protagonist RPG types when it comes to character development, in that you are primarily a sword-user who can mix in various forms of magic during combat, as well as crafted/purchased potions. Combat itself can be a little difficult at times, but you get used to the click-to-combo fight style after a few hours (I found playing a warrior in Dragon Age to be harder). It covers mature themes and is probably not for children. If you had not played this when it came out many years ago this can fill the void. It's as enjoyable as Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age and while it's closer to those games than Skyrim, it tries to offer a similar level of lore and fantasy. A tremendous effort by the developers, and one for the history books. Expand
  53. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    Incredibly immersive, this title boasts brilliant writing and a truly engaging storyline to keep you glued to the screen until completion. While not without faults, any issues that arise are minor enough to blend to the background while gameplay, plotline and the host of well crafted characters take center stage. Very enjoyable title.
  54. Aug 28, 2013
    A true RPG masterpiece. I started playing after a friend of mine showed me the second part on the XBOX and then I saw it on sale last weekend with the first part, so I purchased both. I've played it for 12 hours but so far I feel this game has a really engaging story, likeable characters, your decisions truly affect what's going to happen afterwards. There are certain parts of the game youA true RPG masterpiece. I started playing after a friend of mine showed me the second part on the XBOX and then I saw it on sale last weekend with the first part, so I purchased both. I've played it for 12 hours but so far I feel this game has a really engaging story, likeable characters, your decisions truly affect what's going to happen afterwards. There are certain parts of the game you are going to miss if you play in a certain way. Finally a RPG that the main character isn't mute! DO YOU HEAR BETHESDA, take note of that! Not recommended for newcomers and people who like straightforward action, this is an rpg and requires character development and understanding of what things do and how the skills work. It promises a ton of hours of fun and certainly delivers. I'm starting to read the novels and at first the changes in the language of the characters, using swear words and so on felt kind of out of time but after a while I grew used to it and makes the narration more lively and lessens the tone in some of the heavier dialogue parts. I prefer this sort of tone than a recreation of how the characters would sound like at the time. It's on sale on Steam and certainly is worth the price! Stop wasting your money buying upgrades for Candy Crush and get yourselves a piece of RPG history. Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    My original favorite game. I got it at some random shop I walked into for 2 bucks, mainly because of the wolf head on the cover. Man, did I luck out. No idea what it was about prior to buying it. Of course, there are a few issues, like not being able to jump/ walk over small bumps. I just bought it again on steam for 2.50 because I like the convenience of steam, and figured I should pay atMy original favorite game. I got it at some random shop I walked into for 2 bucks, mainly because of the wolf head on the cover. Man, did I luck out. No idea what it was about prior to buying it. Of course, there are a few issues, like not being able to jump/ walk over small bumps. I just bought it again on steam for 2.50 because I like the convenience of steam, and figured I should pay at least 4.50 for such an awesome game. Expand
  56. Aug 4, 2013
    I just played this for the first time and it still holds up well even five years later. The quests are great, the narrative is engaging and intelligent and I felt like the choices I made for Geralt had real consequences. I also enjoyed the fact that there was no judgment or sense that the choices would be right or wrong. Combat was intuitive and you can see Geralt turn into a powerhouseI just played this for the first time and it still holds up well even five years later. The quests are great, the narrative is engaging and intelligent and I felt like the choices I made for Geralt had real consequences. I also enjoyed the fact that there was no judgment or sense that the choices would be right or wrong. Combat was intuitive and you can see Geralt turn into a powerhouse swordsman by game's end.

Only two criticisms: 1. The game is an absolute gpu hog. I had to overclock my Radeon HD 7970 to get the frames even close to stable. I also have a six core processor, so I wonder if the game was optimized in the best way or not. 2. The Raven armor is only available at the very end of the game, and while I understand the reasoning, I had little time to enjoy the benefits of having it.

If you haven't, pick it up. And I would suggest using the over-the-shoulder camera for the best experience in terms of movement and gameplay.
  57. Jul 27, 2013
    To Put It Simply This is the one of the best rpgs ever mage witcher 2 is more amazing than 1 but if you have a normal gaming rig you can play the witcher in maxed out settings stunning graphics compared to any other rpgs till 2010 stunning story and gameplay highly addictive
  58. Jul 17, 2013
    The scenario, the gameplay, the atmosphere, everything in this game is absolutely amazing. Well, almost everything. I would've given it 10 if it weren't for two reasons: first, there is the lack of emotion in the character's faces during the dialogues; and the second, and main reason is the fact that you can't change the game difficulty once you've chosen it at the beginning... and thatThe scenario, the gameplay, the atmosphere, everything in this game is absolutely amazing. Well, almost everything. I would've given it 10 if it weren't for two reasons: first, there is the lack of emotion in the character's faces during the dialogues; and the second, and main reason is the fact that you can't change the game difficulty once you've chosen it at the beginning... and that "medium" difficulty is actually pretty hard. I lost many (frustrating) hours because of that. I almost gave up at some point.
    However, I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes RPGs. Just think twice when choosing the difficulty level.
  59. Jun 26, 2013
    Witcher doesn't do everything right but where it's good, it's great!

Finally we get a story where choices matter and the player isn't treated like an idiot. Compared to the average game these days, the interface is a little daunting at first. Soon enough it's easy to work with. The combat mechanics are this game's weak point. Occasionally you need to think strategically in
    Witcher doesn't do everything right but where it's good, it's great!

The combat mechanics are this game's weak point. Occasionally you need to think strategically in combat but on normal difficulty it becomes fairly easy if you've invested time in side quests to boost your skills. Players who want to be forced to master the intricacies of the combat system should definitely play this one on Hard.

Another issue is stability. The game tends to crash, particularly in certain graphically intense areas of Chapter 2. Save and save often. Normally, this would be a deal-breaker for me, but the games other positives allow me to me to give it a pass.
  60. Jun 24, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend this game for everyone. I didn't like it right away and needed to give it a thorough chance before it grew on me. That said, this game is very fun. The only thing holding it back from being a great game is the engine, character movement, physics, and combat. The engine is the Aurora engine, which by the time this game came out was already showing its age. ToI wouldn't recommend this game for everyone. I didn't like it right away and needed to give it a thorough chance before it grew on me. That said, this game is very fun. The only thing holding it back from being a great game is the engine, character movement, physics, and combat. The engine is the Aurora engine, which by the time this game came out was already showing its age. To compare, Neverwinter Nights came out in 2002 and used the same engine, whereas The Witcher came out in 2007. Most all flaws I just listed come from how bad the engine is. The positives about the game are its attention to detail with the string of characters and narrative you encounter. The crafting system, alchemy, is very in-depth which myriad possible combinations; another good example of the attention to detail in this game. Combat may seem intimidating since it's quite different from other RPGs, but it honestly is easy to get used to. In fact the combat almost becomes *too* easy (even on the hardest difficulty) later in the game with upgraded talent trees, enchanted weapons, and a good amount of magical powers. The talent trees are another aspect of this game where depth and attention to detail can be seen. The story starts off fast, throws a lot of things at you in a short amount of time, but the game took me 40 hours to beat and I'm sure I missed a few side things here and there. The narrative in this game gets quite complex, with mystery becoming involved, betrayal, and even prophecy. The narrative weaves together beautifully to present a coherent and complex storyline. Overall, this game is good, has a few things holding it back, and it grows on you. It's definitely an esoteric title, which is why I can't recommend it to everyone. Give it a chance, see if it grows on you the way it did for me. Expand
  61. Jun 21, 2013
    Once you get the hang of the unusual combat system (which will seem alien to most), there remains an incredibly touching and moving story of evil and hate, and being stuck somewhere between the two. Deep lore, which sets the game to have choices with what seems infinite possibilities, lays the way for great re-playability and a very interesting RPG.
    Only problems are having unusual times
    Only problems are having unusual times for your computer to be sent into full stress when loading or at menus. Although, this is the only performance bug I encountered, and it may be my problem.
  62. Jun 19, 2013
    Great and intriguing story and world, an even more intriguing main character, excellent voice acting, and the graphics were pretty impressive to boot.

One of my biggest gripes is the tedious way of traveling around. Since it's not open world (I'm spoiled by open world/sandbox RPG games now), there are no shortcuts and you really do have to go on one specific route to get to where you need to go. That got annoying to the point where I couldn't play through it for too long because of all the boring, reptitive, and unnecessary back and forth I had to do.

Some fun monsters to fight. Really well done environments add to the immersion. Talents system was simple and fighting mechanics take a little getting used to but are easy enough. Gameplay is okay, but for me this was a story and character-driven game more than the actual action itself, which was a lot of fun at times but nothing too special at other times.
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    I have never seen a game as good as this before! I am playing it for the 3rd time, the soundtrack and the game's world makes me cry for going back into the 13th century. You must read the Andrzej Sapkowski novels, which are the best books I've ever read and they make the story line much much clearer.
    I want to be a witcher.
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a game for real rpg fan. If You like Slavic climate You will found here the best world You ever dreamt of. Fighting system is like a poetry. Plot is marvelous like original A. Sapkowski books. Main character is a true hero with past and something to say in present. Sense of humor, music and surroundings will make You love this game. Also game is quite long but it doesn't getThis is a game for real rpg fan. If You like Slavic climate You will found here the best world You ever dreamt of. Fighting system is like a poetry. Plot is marvelous like original A. Sapkowski books. Main character is a true hero with past and something to say in present. Sense of humor, music and surroundings will make You love this game. Also game is quite long but it doesn't get boring. If You didn't play, You just have to. Expand
  65. Jun 13, 2013
    A great game, but it needs polish. The gameplay is meh, amounting to little more than dodging, switching between swords and spells, and mashing the attack button, but the problem with this game is that it takes a long time to get going, this isn't a game for people who have little patience. Those who have the patience though, will be rewarded with a game that has an excellent story andA great game, but it needs polish. The gameplay is meh, amounting to little more than dodging, switching between swords and spells, and mashing the attack button, but the problem with this game is that it takes a long time to get going, this isn't a game for people who have little patience. Those who have the patience though, will be rewarded with a game that has an excellent story and lore surrounding it, and will be instantly immersed. Expand
  66. May 9, 2013
    great story with a lot of "OH MY GOD" moments it would have been perfect with a good combat system it's a good experience and finally a very decent game to play
  67. Apr 1, 2013
    Very good start of the series. Game has great story, massive amount of sidequests. Fighting is a little bit difficult in the beginnig, but when you learn it, it gives much fun.
  68. Mar 19, 2013
    Very good game, interesting story and characters, graphically beautiful even running on my old laptop, its not open world like Skyrim but gives you nonetheless a lot of freedom.
  69. Mar 16, 2013
    A dark and brooding RPG with a very interesting story, enjoyable NPCs, a dark but graphicly pleasing world. The story will give you some hard choices. It is however a bit buggy. I suffered from quite a lot of CTD's and Geralt doesnt always do what I want :p. The combat while feeling refreshing at first, needs a bit of meat and feels somewhat clunky at times (Example: changing swords duringA dark and brooding RPG with a very interesting story, enjoyable NPCs, a dark but graphicly pleasing world. The story will give you some hard choices. It is however a bit buggy. I suffered from quite a lot of CTD's and Geralt doesnt always do what I want :p. The combat while feeling refreshing at first, needs a bit of meat and feels somewhat clunky at times (Example: changing swords during combat)., the collectible nudity card element is a bit pubescent and out of place. If you look for a strong story driven RPG, this is the game for you. Expand
  70. Jan 27, 2013
    This game has flaws and is not perfect. But it's better than any RPG I have played before. So I gave it a 10 in hope of encouraging more games of this quality.
  71. Dec 27, 2012
    Its awesome game with awesome storyline and original action system. One of the best RPG ever. Impressive graphics as for 2007 and nice atosphere made this game
  72. Dec 22, 2012
    This is one of the best games I have played recently. Of course, there are bugs, glitches and it's not that non-linear as was expected, but the quality of the story telling is simply awesome! I never seen a game like this, where you fall into the story, like you read a book.
    If you want to love this game - read the book first. Unfortunately, the whole book series is not available in English yet (only two first novels). I am from Ukraine, so I had a chance to read all the books and watch TV series made by Polish TV. Maybe, that's a reason why it is great game for me. Try it and open yourself for this great story.
  73. Oct 15, 2012
    I bought the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut on Steam a while ago,I must say it is deep,enjoyable and you can smell the sewers and the streets in the second chapter.Combat is satisfying once you have upgraded your character a few levels,as I found it frustrating at first.If I would have known it was this good I would have bought the retail full price as it looked a nice edition.Once itI bought the Enhanced Edition Directors Cut on Steam a while ago,I must say it is deep,enjoyable and you can smell the sewers and the streets in the second chapter.Combat is satisfying once you have upgraded your character a few levels,as I found it frustrating at first.If I would have known it was this good I would have bought the retail full price as it looked a nice edition.Once it comes down in price a bit more I may still as I would like to have it as part of my collection.Haven't played Witcher 2 yet,but if this is anything to go by I will be playing it as soon as I have finished this great game,I am thoroughly enjoying it. Expand
  74. Oct 4, 2012
    A decent fantasy action role-playing game, the combat system requires tactical think due too three fighting styles and choosing between the steel and silver swords coupled with Alchemy the combat itself is a is a timed mouse clicking affair which can be somewhat off putting to some but once master is a fun and rewarding experience and you soon be hunting Trophy monsters. The Witcher has anA decent fantasy action role-playing game, the combat system requires tactical think due too three fighting styles and choosing between the steel and silver swords coupled with Alchemy the combat itself is a is a timed mouse clicking affair which can be somewhat off putting to some but once master is a fun and rewarding experience and you soon be hunting Trophy monsters. The Witcher has an adult themed story loaded with grit and lore supported with a great soundtrack, which is furthered by the consequences of the player's choices which unfold has the story progress's. The Witcher Enhanced Edition includes a "making of" DVD, a CD with 29 in-game soundtracks, another CD with "Inspired by" music, the short story The Witcher from the book The Last Wish, a map of Temeria printed on high quality paper, and the official strategy guide. In addition, a new and enhanced version of the D'jinni Adventure Editor this is a must for those who have played the Witcher 2 and certainly worth the checking for ARPG fans with the added bonus of the DRM removed by download the patch from the site. Expand
  75. Sep 11, 2012
    first off i recommend reading the books first as it will help immerse you in the world better. the writing and interactions between the characters is dark and witty. the atmosphere and art design captured the grim nature of the witcher's world. geralt is one of the biggest badasses in gaming. neutral, intelligent, and lethal. only reason i'm not giving this a 10 is the combat seemed a bitfirst off i recommend reading the books first as it will help immerse you in the world better. the writing and interactions between the characters is dark and witty. the atmosphere and art design captured the grim nature of the witcher's world. geralt is one of the biggest badasses in gaming. neutral, intelligent, and lethal. only reason i'm not giving this a 10 is the combat seemed a bit limited and boring. sure you can spice it up with spells, potions, coatings but it really boiled down to the timing of one button over and over. i can't wait to play the second game as it supposedly does pretty much everything better than the original. Expand
  76. Aug 18, 2012
    I give the Witcher (Enhanced Edition) a 5/5. I do not know where to begin. This is by far one of the most fantastic RPGs that I have ever had to pleasure to experience. Although the awkward animations and somewhat dull voice acting may take some time to get used to, it is most definitely worth your time. I became to immersed into this game that as soon as I beat it, rather than going on toI give the Witcher (Enhanced Edition) a 5/5. I do not know where to begin. This is by far one of the most fantastic RPGs that I have ever had to pleasure to experience. Although the awkward animations and somewhat dull voice acting may take some time to get used to, it is most definitely worth your time. I became to immersed into this game that as soon as I beat it, rather than going on to the second game (which I had already purchased in my steam library) I started the first game over on the hardest difficulty setting. I just could not get enough. Buy this game. Beat it. Beat it again. Play part two. Expand
  77. Jul 23, 2012
    This review really captures how I feel about this game: http://www.gainsense.com/2012/07/the-witcher-review-commentary.html. Basically, this game is AMAZING. I got it for less than $3 on Steam and I gotta say, CD Projekt Red looks like the new Bioware. Can't wait to fire up Witcher II after I finish this!
  78. Jul 22, 2012
    Sehr Gutes Rollenspiel !!!
  79. May 3, 2012
    This is a great RPG, hands down one of the best of this era. Not your slash and hack variety, it makes you use strategy and concentrate on what you're doing during battle. The dark, dismal atmosphere seems much more realistic than the puppies and rainbows most fantasy environments try to evoke. Do yourself a favor, this is an inexpensive game that stands up very well on it's own againstThis is a great RPG, hands down one of the best of this era. Not your slash and hack variety, it makes you use strategy and concentrate on what you're doing during battle. The dark, dismal atmosphere seems much more realistic than the puppies and rainbows most fantasy environments try to evoke. Do yourself a favor, this is an inexpensive game that stands up very well on it's own against more modern titles. Expand
  80. Mar 12, 2012
    2nd best polish game. One of the best RPGs ever, one of the best fantasy universes ever. : )
    I recommend this game and The Witcher Saga too! :D
    Dark and deep world with sclavinian style.
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    i am simply amazed by the game.after playing the first chapter i was about to uninstall the game but thankfully i dint.the first chapter is not that good but after that its amazing.the game lets you decide what you want to do and you will have consequences for every choice you make.now i am going to buy witcher 2.
  82. Feb 29, 2012
    This game comes very close to the perfect game. It's actually mature, it's realistic in decisions and never resorts to black and white "good" "evil" choices. The only small issue is that some quests are of a far lower standard than other quests - whereas in the witcher 2 - all the quests are of a high standard. However this game is almost twice the length. So it evens out in the end. TheThis game comes very close to the perfect game. It's actually mature, it's realistic in decisions and never resorts to black and white "good" "evil" choices. The only small issue is that some quests are of a far lower standard than other quests - whereas in the witcher 2 - all the quests are of a high standard. However this game is almost twice the length. So it evens out in the end. The combat is a little more methodical than the witcher 2, it's different. Although I probably prefer the witcher 2's combat. Expand
  83. Feb 20, 2012
    I love this game. I tell's a very good story, and the world is based on Andrzej Sapkowski's books.
    Graphic Engine is not bad. Characters are great. I love everything except one thing - combat mode is quite arcade, cause of clicking in right time and small maps, cause we can't explore them for unexcepted suprise.
  84. Feb 19, 2012
    I have been playing PC games for many years and I must say that The Witcher is one of the finest games I have ever played. I enjoyed it's mature story and the world it takes place in is beautiful with a rich history. Decisions you must make are complex and require thought as they have an impact on the later parts of the game. The developer, CD Projekt Red, is one of the best out there.I have been playing PC games for many years and I must say that The Witcher is one of the finest games I have ever played. I enjoyed it's mature story and the world it takes place in is beautiful with a rich history. Decisions you must make are complex and require thought as they have an impact on the later parts of the game. The developer, CD Projekt Red, is one of the best out there. They care about their games AND the fans. If you enjoy RPG's and are looking for something different you owe it to yourself to pick this game up. You will not regret it. Oh, although I like the first Witcher better, the second it also fantastic and picks up right after the first. Both brilliant games. Expand
  85. Jan 13, 2012
    First of all, I need say that I finished the game around December 2011. Although this is an old game, this is a very well-crafted game. Not to say it's the best, but very well crafted. Some complain that the combat is repetitive, but I think the combat of games are always repetitive. ( You don't fight A boss with turn-based, and fight B boss with Real Time Strategy in games, right?) ThisFirst of all, I need say that I finished the game around December 2011. Although this is an old game, this is a very well-crafted game. Not to say it's the best, but very well crafted. Some complain that the combat is repetitive, but I think the combat of games are always repetitive. ( You don't fight A boss with turn-based, and fight B boss with Real Time Strategy in games, right?) This game also has a nice story with multi endings. Graphic is still acceptable for a game this old. Took me around 45 Hours to complete. If you find this game with discount, it worth a try. P.S. I bought this from steam. Only cost me $4.99. Expand
  86. Jan 5, 2012
    One of the most interesting role-playing games that I played. Non-trivial plot, lot of skills, charismatic characters, non-linear quests, moral choices and perfect soundtrack. Well done, CD Projekt.
  87. Dec 29, 2011
    A fascinating RPG with depth and a creative story. It's not quite open-world, but it's not completely linear either. The combat takes a little getting used to, but you will be a master in no time. The different attack styles and weaknesses of enemies will keep you on your toes, and your playstyle and propensity for exploration will very much determine your success in the game as well asA fascinating RPG with depth and a creative story. It's not quite open-world, but it's not completely linear either. The combat takes a little getting used to, but you will be a master in no time. The different attack styles and weaknesses of enemies will keep you on your toes, and your playstyle and propensity for exploration will very much determine your success in the game as well as the difficulty. Do not be discouraged by the first boss fight; it's easily the most difficult fight in the game. For reference, I died against the first boss approximately 23-25 times, and I died less than 10 times for entire duration of the remainder of the game. I had a great time playing this, and I would recommend it to not only RPG fans, but anyone at all. Expand
  88. Nov 14, 2011
    Oh boy was I surprised when I bought this game this year and found a pearl! This game instantly became one of my fav games of all the times! Everything about this game screams fantastic! Loved the story,game mechanics and graphics are not that bad for old game like this one. If u are the fan of the RPG's and like me missed this stunning game please do me a favor go and buy it now!!!!!!!!!
  89. Nov 9, 2011
    The Witcher EE together with Dragon Age Origins are my favorite modern computer RPGs in this gaming generation. The story in the Witcher has a very deep scope as it follows the journey of the witcher Geralt of Rivia to reveal the imbroglio in a nation and all the dark secrets. The game features a lot of moral choices which will yield different consequences in the later game and you have toThe Witcher EE together with Dragon Age Origins are my favorite modern computer RPGs in this gaming generation. The story in the Witcher has a very deep scope as it follows the journey of the witcher Geralt of Rivia to reveal the imbroglio in a nation and all the dark secrets. The game features a lot of moral choices which will yield different consequences in the later game and you have to do a lot of dialog choices to uncover various quests. Combat is entertaining and somehow tactical, you will need to choose right fight styles against different types of enemies as well as use effective portions. Inventory is the only disadvantage because the space is really limited, so strategy is needed. Overall it's a great rpg with a deep storyline driving it. The game still has problems, long loading time and instant crashes do occur but not often enough to ruin the immersion. If you enjoy games like dragon age origins, I am sure you will love this game. Expand
  90. Oct 15, 2011
    Overall, this game is very playable and parts are quite absorbing. The environments are beautiful and some of the quests are highly original. The basic storyline is overrated and a bit mediocre as you are part of an elite group called witchers who are attacked by a gang of Bad Guys(TM) whom you pursue for most of the game. The other parts of the story are much better. Your character facesOverall, this game is very playable and parts are quite absorbing. The environments are beautiful and some of the quests are highly original. The basic storyline is overrated and a bit mediocre as you are part of an elite group called witchers who are attacked by a gang of Bad Guys(TM) whom you pursue for most of the game. The other parts of the story are much better. Your character faces a problem of identity. He has to balance his life as a witcher with dreams of being a family man. He has friends and lovers. He gets caught up in political machinations. All of this stuff has been done before in games, but this one does it thoughtfully and with rarely seen subtlety. TW1 is a game where things are not always as they appear, and some banal details later turn out to be highly significant. The game is also big, with a lot of maps to explore and a full five chapters plus epilogue and prologue. There are downsides too. While the art for the environments is beautiful, too many of the characters look as if the programmers drew them. Also, some of them look like their texture maps are low res or bugged. The combat, while usually painless, leaves very little room for developing individual strategy. The same can be said for promoting your character. You ultimately acquire 75% of the talents in the talent tree, and most people playing the game will have the same build by the end. The game also lacks selection in weapons and armor. The potions can be cool, but you only get the more interesting ones in the last fifth of the game. Another problem is that the quests require too much running back and forth across a huge map, often with the sole purpose of getting a new dialogue option. The other complaint I have is that the story doesn`t always make sense on the ``neutral path``. Overall, however, it`s still a solid game for the mature gamer with an ounce of patience. Expand
  91. Sep 8, 2011
    This is it.
    The big one.
    The great one. What can I say that hasn't already been said? When you're not busy marveling at the beautifully crafted world, (the best representation of Medieval Europe done in a game as of yet), well-fleshed out characters, witty dialogue and humanity and realism of it all, you'll be engulfed in a branching storyline, entirely based on major decisions you make,
    This is it.
    The big one.
    The great one.
    What can I say that hasn't already been said?
    When you're not busy marveling at the beautifully crafted world, (the best representation of Medieval Europe done in a game as of yet), well-fleshed out characters, witty dialogue and humanity and realism of it all, you'll be engulfed in a branching storyline, entirely based on major decisions you make, that takes you and doesn't let you go until it says all it has to say, a breathtaking atmosphere, music that is just out of this world, fits the mood and settings perfectly and adds up to the whole experience in a fantastic way.
    And what can I say about the morality? No black and white, no heroes and knights, just people trying to live their lives, choices and consequences.You WILL find yourself in many situations where there is no good or bad choice, no wrong and right choice - and choosing the lesser evil is a path you have to consider.

I could say so much more, but the game itself speaks volumes, more than anyone could ever say.
    This is one title a hardcore RPG fan shouldn't miss out on.
  92. Sep 6, 2011
    The game is just how good, solid RPG should look like. First off though, a thing that may disappoint someone- you don't create or choose a character. But personally I don't really see this as a bad thing. It has many good sides that the plot benefits from. The game is based on the universum created by Andrzej Sapkowski in The Witcher saga. I think that creating a game on a solid settingThe game is just how good, solid RPG should look like. First off though, a thing that may disappoint someone- you don't create or choose a character. But personally I don't really see this as a bad thing. It has many good sides that the plot benefits from. The game is based on the universum created by Andrzej Sapkowski in The Witcher saga. I think that creating a game on a solid setting was really an amazing idea. Game's action takes place after the story from the books though. I don't want to talk about the details but just the world that we find ourselves in playing this game, as well as the story, is really a masterpiece. The plot is non linear which makes the game even more enjoyable. The Witcher takes a while to beat it so I assure you that you'll have many hours of fun playing it. Something people may not get to like is how the fighting looks. You mostly just click the mouse button at the right times. But on the other hand it is something original and something that one can get used to, really. Pros: -Not linear. -Amazing story. -Long. Cons: -Fighting style that not everyone may enjoy. Expand
  93. Aug 28, 2011
    This is a game made by RPG fans for RPG fans. Unfortunately for the PC gaming layman or those coming from other genres this game will seen complex, slow, and unbalanced. But for those few with RPG game logic, patience, and willpower, that have been gained through years of BG2, Diablo, or NWN (one of course, possibly 2) this game will be a welcome breathe of fresh air that has been absentThis is a game made by RPG fans for RPG fans. Unfortunately for the PC gaming layman or those coming from other genres this game will seen complex, slow, and unbalanced. But for those few with RPG game logic, patience, and willpower, that have been gained through years of BG2, Diablo, or NWN (one of course, possibly 2) this game will be a welcome breathe of fresh air that has been absent from the mainstream gaming for the past couple of years. Those things which non-RPG fans will find so frustrating about this game are exactly what RPG fans have been missing from titles like Oblivion or Dragon Age. Expand
  94. Aug 21, 2011
    This book, err, I mean game is based on a Polish book called Blood of Elves. The story is very immerse, which was expected since it was made from a book to a game, with many characters who you begin to feel emotion for right after meeting them. The combat system of this game is very different from traditional RPG's. You have to click on at the right time to continue your over animatedThis book, err, I mean game is based on a Polish book called Blood of Elves. The story is very immerse, which was expected since it was made from a book to a game, with many characters who you begin to feel emotion for right after meeting them. The combat system of this game is very different from traditional RPG's. You have to click on at the right time to continue your over animated combos and you have three different attack styles, Strong, Fast, and Group which you must use depending on the enemy you're versing. You also have Steel Swords and Silver Swords. Steel Swords are most effective against humans, dogs, and wolves while the Silver Sword is most effective against monsters. The combat system is simple but very fun and engaging! The graphics are very good for the time the game was made but I was expecting to see cinematics with the graphics of the introduction but I believe those graphics are reserved for the first and final cinematic of the game. I wouldn't know, I'm still plying through it now, after months of addiction an family reunions avoided! The game really could have done without the sex scenes and cards. They add a cheesy touch that I hated! I haven't done any of them and don't intend to. Still a great game, missing 10 because of the unneeded sex. Expand
  95. Jul 15, 2011
    I love this game, Great story, you feel like a badass all the way through, and it has a lot of fun RPG elements.
    I personally like getting the "trading cards" if you know what i mean.
  96. Jul 7, 2011
    The Witcher (Enhanced Edition) is a gem among the adventure RPG games. Be warned though it is not a hard core RPG game, it is more like adventure game with RPG elements. There is no character customizing. You play as Geralt and thatâ
  97. Jun 27, 2011
    I didn't get around to this title for a long time but I always had my eye on it. I knew it would be good but I was too busy playing the RPG'S I thought were probably a lot better. Finally, I started reading the novel's and playing The Witcher. What I found was a franchise that was true to the heart of a classic CRPG player. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed it much more than Dragon AgeI didn't get around to this title for a long time but I always had my eye on it. I knew it would be good but I was too busy playing the RPG'S I thought were probably a lot better. Finally, I started reading the novel's and playing The Witcher. What I found was a franchise that was true to the heart of a classic CRPG player. I was amazed to find that I enjoyed it much more than Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls games. It is not only more enjoyable but the writing is fantastic. This is largely due to the fact that it is a game based off of an accomplished author's work unlike similar series where a group of average writers write an average story and later if success has been had, the best of the average writers writes an average novel. By the way, the novels are great. I only wish they would keep publishing the rest of them in English.

Final though: PLAY THIS GAME!!
  98. May 27, 2011
    The Witcher Enhanced Edition is an amazing game. Challenging gameplay, good graphics, interesting storyline. Because the first edition of the Witcher was full of bugs, CD Projekt released this, the Enhanced Edition, which was offered for FREE to users who purchased the original, first edition. Talk about amazing! Any company who strives so hard for customer satisfaction demands ourThe Witcher Enhanced Edition is an amazing game. Challenging gameplay, good graphics, interesting storyline. Because the first edition of the Witcher was full of bugs, CD Projekt released this, the Enhanced Edition, which was offered for FREE to users who purchased the original, first edition. Talk about amazing! Any company who strives so hard for customer satisfaction demands our loyalty. Slightly better than Dragon Age Origins, this was the best RPG since 2001 (Baldur's Gate). Do yourself a favor, and get the Witcher. You won't be sorry. Expand
  99. May 26, 2011
    Very good game! Graphics on a high level, interesting story and interesting character. I played it a few times and are happy playing again. 9 / 10
  100. May 22, 2011
    Good story. Engaging gameplay. Fun rpg where you must choose your actions carefully. Great effort by a small development studio. Recommended to folks that want to have a solid game with massive replayability.

The main adventure still has serious pacing problems, combat's still too easy for the most part, and load times -- though reduced -- continue to get in the way of the action.
  2. The new and improved package is increasingly attractive. There are still some rough edges, and moments of genuine drama are still undercut by how they're performed, but this is an agreeably driven RPG in an agreeably ornate package.
  3. PC Format
    Finally, The Witcher fulfills its potential, and, best of all, it's available as a free update, just in case you bought it anyway. [Nov 2008, p.110]