5.8

1. Feb 28, 2014
    Feels more like garbage man than thief, rummaging through drawers stealing ink bottles.
    No cool factions, no hammerites, no pagans, burricks and lobstermen replaced with dogs and birds. It's not cool with kids if modern game doesn't have doge.
    Freeform climbing and rope arrow usage replaced by scripted dev-approved location movement only. Combat blows, press X to not take damage from guards slow telegraph attack, no sword. Bopping guard on head from behind with blackjack replaced with scripted takedowns, doing it yourself too hard for consoles.
    Technically weak, linear small levels, loading every 2 minutes. Level design very meh. Mandatory 4-5 per level advancing forward in cutscene, cutting off previous part of level, because having level accessible fully and non-linear would be too hard for consoles.
    Prologue cutscene - zomg, you killed him, how could you, thieves don't do that!!!one. Chapter 1 - bonus objective, score 4 headshots on guards for extra money, because nothing spells thief quite like bow headshots. If you shoot guard from far enough, arrow flying will play out in slo-mo so cool kids can put 360 noscope thief videos with wubwub music on youtube.
    All in all, disappointment on the same level as Deus Ex HR, but I guess Squeenix ran out of money to pay off journalists this time, dxhr PC metacritic: 90, IGN: 90. Thief PC metacritic: 69, IGN: 68.
    Uninstalled after chapter 2, searching drawers in small dark rooms repeatedly is more boring than my real life work that I get paid for, no thanks.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    After watching all of the trailers, reading the developer interviews, learning about the features they wanted to implement, seeing the community managers interact with the community, I had one thought; "This is going to be a **** sandwich," and Eidos Montreal, you did not disappoint!

This abortion is brought to us by the same studio who made Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but sadly they used the D squad and it shows. The contextual movement, which is "totally not even a big deal" according to every community manager, is horrible. It could have potentially worked, if EM was really that good at level design, but they aren't. Instead, they've effectively made a series of long corridors that that you may take one of two paths to finish, but you end up at the exact same place anyway. If that seems like a daunting number of choices, don't worry:

Garrett will pipe in periodically to tell you where to go! Speaking of Garrett's new voice and his dialogue, pass. I didn't realize that the City was part of Boston! Because the only exit isn't obvious enough, even with Focus and waypoints and a minimap. Speaking of annoying sounds, the music does not fit at all and get's highly repetitive. Which reminds me, did you guys think of maybe not giving NPC's one line to just loop over and over again? To further continue about sound, a key component in the original games was being aware of what surfaces you walked on. Tile, metal, stone could all be quite loud. Now, as long as you're not jumping in puddles and stomping on broken glass, each surface is treated the same: as quiet as walking on plush carpet made of baby seals.

And Steven Gallagher, you are a hack! While the storyline of the originals would never win a Pulitzer, the amount of clichés you threw at this piece of garbage answers why you're a video-game narrative writer, and not an author of any note. Also, please fire all of your writers, because they are terrible.

Do not buy this trash.
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    Thief takes all the proven mechanics of the previous games and deliberately breaks them in order to make the game appeal to a wider audience, it's a disgrace to the already established and much loved Thief series, Eidos Montreal should be ashamed of ruining a legendary franchise.

The only benefit this game manages to leverage over its predecessors is better graphics, literally every other aspect is worse by a significant degree, most importantly the actual gameplay, but it's also plagued with incredibly small and linear maps, fundamentally broken AI, bad art direction, a completely unbelievable world, bad voice acting and lip syncing, utterly dislikeable characters, long load times a bland and uninteresting story, and crammed to the brim with performance issues, bugs and glitches.

It's a first person shooter where you cannot even jump, you're literally stuck into a first person rollercoaster Thief ride which takes you on a first person animated ride of a Thief theme park ride.

Absolute disgrace, 2/10 - that's the best I can do.
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    This new release is an absolute insult to the Thief series, Where do these 7-10 scores come from? they either getting paid to review or know nothing about video gaming and like spending there money on rubbish!
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    Now, to start off with, get rid of the notion that games should not be judged on their predecessors; that's just an idiotic concept. Although if you were to judge it as its own game, you'd be equally unimpressed. The AI is somehow worse than that of a game made in 1998; I've had it where I've been in the light and in a guard's line of sight for about 3 seconds before they even went into aNow, to start off with, get rid of the notion that games should not be judged on their predecessors; that's just an idiotic concept. Although if you were to judge it as its own game, you'd be equally unimpressed. The AI is somehow worse than that of a game made in 1998; I've had it where I've been in the light and in a guard's line of sight for about 3 seconds before they even went into a searching phase. The rest of the gameplay is lackluster too. The combat is broken and all around terrible, and not the intentional kind of terrible seen in the first 2 games, and The Dark Mod. It's closer to the Deadly Shadows type of terrible. The stealing and hand movements, while impressive from a technical standpoint, actually do the opposite of what they intended to do, and actually break immersion. On the topic of stealing, nowhere is there a requirement to steal anything not related to the story. That's right, YOU DON'T NEED TO STEAL AT ALL IN A THIEF GAME. The levels somehow manage to be split into smaller chunks than Deadly Shadows, and the levels themselves are more linear than ever; gone are the days where you can rope arrow wherever you want, or even JUMP wherever you want. The graphics, while all new and shiny, are rather lackluster. The City is your generic steampunk Victorian setting with no colours except for teal, brown, and grey. The story and writing is absolutely abysmal. Without getting into too many spoilers, the game features 'brilliant' lines such as "I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A GHOST'," "I'M NOT A FAN OF DOORS," and, of course, "COCKRINGS." The story is about as predictable as this game being a disaster is.
    And that's just judging it on its own merits. While it's disastrous as a game in and of itself, it's the absolute worst possible Thief game.
    Take my advice; buy Thief 1 and 2, and play The Dark Mod. Already have them? Play them again, and keep your mind off of this. I couldn't recommend it to even people who enjoy playing bad games.
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    Let's face it: Thief is just another parasite product abusing a franchise with the sole intention of ripping off console kids since those are used to even worse garbage anyway. Somebody in Eidos management must have said: "Hey, we got this Thief thing and it's not making us any money!" And there's nothing else to it. Passable graphics to get OK reviews and horrible, horrible gameplay.Let's face it: Thief is just another parasite product abusing a franchise with the sole intention of ripping off console kids since those are used to even worse garbage anyway. Somebody in Eidos management must have said: "Hey, we got this Thief thing and it's not making us any money!" And there's nothing else to it. Passable graphics to get OK reviews and horrible, horrible gameplay.

It all has happened before and it will surely happen again.
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    Extremely linear, the color scheme is reduced to desaturated blacks and browns, the cast is extremely bland, Garrett himself barely wisecracks and never really feels like a Master Thief... But this game's greatest mistake is that it is, quite simply, not fun to play. Doing anything in the game is boring as sin, and the low-FoV tunnel vision makes it not only boring, but also nauseating to play.
  8. Feb 26, 2014
    A prime example of the disgraceful simplification of video games today, thanks mainly to devs pandering to majority which is casual console gamers. This game is an insult to the original series, everything from the simplistic, linear gameplay, to the terrible script and voice acting.

Pathetic
  9. Feb 25, 2014
    Well I preordered this game on steam because of all the hype and the trailer made the game look so diverse and interesting...little did I know how linear and clunky this game is...u cant even create your own path to an objective...you choose between maybe 2 sometimes only 1 path to your objective... u can only climb objects that marked as climbable.. theres no exploration whatsoever inWell I preordered this game on steam because of all the hype and the trailer made the game look so diverse and interesting...little did I know how linear and clunky this game is...u cant even create your own path to an objective...you choose between maybe 2 sometimes only 1 path to your objective... u can only climb objects that marked as climbable.. theres no exploration whatsoever in this game. I couldn't even get into the story at all...the ai sucks....and theres like a cutscene every 5 mins its like this game tries more to be a movie than a game....the combat controls are horrid not that it really matters though because the ai isn't smart enough to attack effectively. total waste of my 45 dollars. Expand
  10. Feb 26, 2014
    I was hoping for a stealth game. I got a linear theme park that has some sneaking in it. Its not what I hoped/wanted/expected, I was hoping for freedom, I got clumsy mechanics, poor gameplay. Where this game tries to get ahead is character and story....which is sad, I have had more immersion from smartphone games that were free. Wait till this game is on the very cheap 5+ years from now,I was hoping for a stealth game. I got a linear theme park that has some sneaking in it. Its not what I hoped/wanted/expected, I was hoping for freedom, I got clumsy mechanics, poor gameplay. Where this game tries to get ahead is character and story....which is sad, I have had more immersion from smartphone games that were free. Wait till this game is on the very cheap 5+ years from now, just in case you lose interest after 10 minutes.

Looks like Eidos is paying people to set 10's on this game, so many generic "Best game evar" - 11/10 Comments.

This game should lose money, no one should take something good, make it bad and still profit.
  11. Feb 26, 2014
    Another garbage, another boring and repetitive game, what is this? another rip off of the old game? I don't recommend this trash, please don't waste your money on this piece of trash.
  12. Feb 25, 2014
    Eidos Montreal killed Thief franchise by this game. Deadly Shadows wasn't perfect game but far better than Thief 2014. For me it is simple preying on the brand created by Looking Glass, and nothing more. Small levels which lead player for hand, trivial storyline written on knee, poor artificial intelligence opponents, Garrett without soul and voice of the original character and finallyEidos Montreal killed Thief franchise by this game. Deadly Shadows wasn't perfect game but far better than Thief 2014. For me it is simple preying on the brand created by Looking Glass, and nothing more. Small levels which lead player for hand, trivial storyline written on knee, poor artificial intelligence opponents, Garrett without soul and voice of the original character and finally uninspiring world without the magic of the trilogy. I'm very disappointed. Expand
  13. Feb 26, 2014
    Please, for the love of god. Support good video games in the industry by NOT BUYING THIS!!! This is such a mess I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, so they ripped almost the entire sound element of Thief out the window, the only things on the floor that make any more noise than complete silence are shards of glass and water. Every NPC's voice volume is at the same level to the point where you can't tell if someone is right beside you or two rooms away. It's a fascinatingly large **** in the sound department, to say the least.

Now on to the marketed "amazing immersive AI" that was in the Steam Store Page feature list, a FLAT OUT LIE. This game has some of the worst AI I've seen in a modern video game, you can get seen by guards and hide in a **** cupboard and they will forget you are there and go back to their business. You can do this six times in a row and they'd be as surprised to see you as they were the first time, and as entirely clueless at knowing where you are hiding as every consecutive time you had hidden in the same place.

The loot aspect is entirely downplayed, Garrett is no longer a master thief, but a petty hoarder. He grabs absolutely everything, from metal cups and cutlery to scissors and magnifying glasses worth 1-5 gold each. This is the stuff that Garrett would quickly gloss over while looking for precious golden candlesticks and expensive wines in the old games.

Not only this but loot doesn't even factor into the objectives of the damn game, and why would it, since the Garrett character has been so butchered and he's been put to live in an abandoned clock tower. He has no need for loot to pay the rent just to stay alive like our previous Garrett.

On top of all this, and the rest about Garrett's character being butchered, which is far too much for me to fit into this 5000 word maximum review, the levels are linear as all-hell. Everything is a straight corridor, every place you have to break in to has one way that the developers planned for you to use, gone are the days of open-ended Thief levels, now it plays like a mix between Call of Duty and Uncharted as far as level design goes.

Rope arrows have also been butchered, if you thought their removal from Deadly Shadows was bad, you're going to wish you had the Climbing Gloves. The Rope Arrows in this new Thief game can only attach to very specific roped wooden beam spots, not any wooden surface, they may as well not be a rope arrow at this point.

The dialogue is atrocious, even if you don't count the two main characters acting like they're in a emo teen angst movie. The guards are constantly mumbling about extremely stupid **** like "cock-rings".

Please, save your money and help the industry by not buying this excrement. If you really can't stand the old Thief games because you feel they're dated and want to try a game like old Thief then the closest you're going to find is Dishonored. Buy and play that instead.
  14. Feb 25, 2014
    Disappointed.

Disappointed.

It is called Thief yet you are magically transformed into a whiny dull hero. He must be Garrett's cousin, because this new Garrett is the lamest we've had so far. Nowhere to be found is the shine of the original writing. It must have been left behind with the idea of the protagonist being a master thief, instead of a boring hero of a cliche story. There's no free play, just a couple of rails here and there. There's no creative player solutions.The open world to explore is an utter joke (or an outright lie).

A game with no soul and a distasteful generic flavor with steampunk art and a "but you can steal stuff too!" does not make it Thief. Judging by the end result, their idea of appealing to new audiences is to treat everyone as retards. Decent eye candy tho. Shame.
  15. Feb 26, 2014
    It has been said better already. A beloved PC franchise has been turned into a joke. This is pretty much Thief4: The Invisible War. And on a related note, it makes 'Deadly Shadows' look like a gem.

Consider how much howling there was over that piece of **** and me saying that. You can't even say it sacrificed all the original depth for graphics. It is just all around a horrible game

Consider how much howling there was over that piece of **** and me saying that.

You can't even say it sacrificed all the original depth for graphics. It is just all around a horrible game floating on franchise nostalgia.

Which is a **** joke considering it is a puddle of piss in depth and quality.
  16. Feb 25, 2014
    Game play is 4.yrs ago handling at best, its such a try to be like Dishonored with even less effort. This game is played and they play that other game and your like.. *uninstall* its to bad, Thief has a great story following and this company single handily put it to the grave.

I was really shocked when I got this game, There is not much to say but that this game is one of the few I will be getting a refund back with. I am happy at the very least many places that sell these badly made games will in-fact give you refunds and then in turn go back after the game developers with charge backs and sending back the unused and returned copies.

When will game makes start making games truly worth while, I have seen such a huge decline lately and its sad. :( well good luck who ever keep this game I for one will not.
  17. Feb 25, 2014
    The game is good for the beginners, but NOT for the old Thief fans. AI is really a piece of s**t, and the game is just too linear. Technical problems make the game even worse.
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    This is the "Godfather 3" of the Thief series. In case you don't get the reference, it means that the game is a huge disappointment. I have played the game for about 2 hours now, and it is buggy as hell. For instance, you climb on a rope and then can't jump off. Or you will go to an edge of a roof, and not be able to jump off. The graphics are great, but you feel like you can'tThis is the "Godfather 3" of the Thief series. In case you don't get the reference, it means that the game is a huge disappointment. I have played the game for about 2 hours now, and it is buggy as hell. For instance, you climb on a rope and then can't jump off. Or you will go to an edge of a roof, and not be able to jump off. The graphics are great, but you feel like you can't inhabit the world- instead, you are essentially led were to go. It really harmed the game to have a different voice actor play Garett. Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2014
    This is a heavily scripted game with heavy emphasis on hand holding and baby sitting. I remember when the Thief games were immersive because you had to be immersed to win. You had to look at the ground and watch every flicker of a torch light, and when you knocked out a guard, it didn't play a cut scene.

This new Thief game has detective vision, you know, like in Batman: Arkham Asylum. This technique has been copied and pasted numerous times and it completely detracts from the Thief experience. To the game's credit, this can be disabled, but only at the start of every new game, it cannot be changed on the fly. This game has been made far too easy, enemy guards can easily be dispatched, meaning players have no reason to avoid and or fear them.

In the end, this game has been far too modernized for a Call of Duty audience, who all expect a scripted adventure where the puzzles are solved for them. As the game progresses, the levels do become more open and sanboxy, but the game already faltered from the beginning, by pissing on the Thief legacy.
  20. Feb 25, 2014
    By far the worst Thief game ever made. It is not even Thief at this point. Skip this entirely and play the older ones if you need a good thievery game.
  21. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorantThief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  22. Feb 25, 2014
    Absolute garbage. The script is about as poorly acted upon as the English dubs of Japanese games from the 80s and 90s. The AI is just as, if not more laughable. This new release is an absolute insult to the franchise and absolutely violates the concept of the original games.
  23. Feb 28, 2014
    I want to report a crime, a case of murder to be more precise. They really killed him! They murdered Garett! And it's the worst kind of murder, not for reasons of self defense or out of a state of mental confusion, but planned and executed in cold blood and for purely financial reasons! It's true that Garett wasn't an innocent by any means, he was a thief after all. Yet this he did notI want to report a crime, a case of murder to be more precise. They really killed him! They murdered Garett! And it's the worst kind of murder, not for reasons of self defense or out of a state of mental confusion, but planned and executed in cold blood and for purely financial reasons! It's true that Garett wasn't an innocent by any means, he was a thief after all. Yet this he did not deserve! Shame on you Squenix and Eidos! Expand
  24. Feb 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing this game. I really hope they make another one so I can waste another 10 minutes of my life. $50 / 10 minutes = $5 a minute. They've really rewritten the genre. Thanks for polluting the gaming ecosystem with another piece of rubbish.
  25. Feb 26, 2014
    EWW is a word that come to mine over this terrible game!. I paid $50NZD for a game that held my attention for 10 minutes!!. Worst Linear game play I have ever experienced, Master thief more like a ragging nut man magpie ... picks up everything that is shiny that instantly converts to gold in his inventory. the graphics of this game are terrible looks like they worked on 10% and left theEWW is a word that come to mine over this terrible game!. I paid $50NZD for a game that held my attention for 10 minutes!!. Worst Linear game play I have ever experienced, Master thief more like a ragging nut man magpie ... picks up everything that is shiny that instantly converts to gold in his inventory. the graphics of this game are terrible looks like they worked on 10% and left the rest hoping you wouldn't notice it. The AI ...... wont even go there you can stand right in front of them and they don't see you. THIS GAME WOULDN'T CHALLENGE A 5 YEAR OLD. DO NOT BUY PLEASE! Expand
  26. Feb 26, 2014
    Before i start I would like you to know that i have never played any of the other thief games, and have not finished this one yet. Anyways, i wanted to like this game, i really did, but with a poor ai, and game play that isn't that much enjoyable it was hard to do. Being able to customize the difficulty is a nice option, and the graphics for the most part are gorgeous, but there are tooBefore i start I would like you to know that i have never played any of the other thief games, and have not finished this one yet. Anyways, i wanted to like this game, i really did, but with a poor ai, and game play that isn't that much enjoyable it was hard to do. Being able to customize the difficulty is a nice option, and the graphics for the most part are gorgeous, but there are too many flaws to this game. To start off the movement is ok, but i found Garret moving in ways i didn't want him to and sometimes it resulted in my death. The pathing is quite linear, sometimes you will find a side route, but these are usually just sewer or vent areas that bypass everything and leave little challenge. The ai in this game is more focused on the artificial side and less on the intelligent part. There are many parts when i should have been spotted and wasn't and when i shouldn't have been spotted i was. This brings me to my next point, the combat. I know this is a stealth game, and most people will go through this game avoiding as much combat as possible, but if you're going to put combat in this game at least make it decent. All you do after entering combat is dodge, bash, repeat. It is very repetitive and becomes very boring quickly. Throughout the game I came to find that it was filled with filler. For every time you go to steal an item or open a drawer there is a small, but lengthy animation. I find these interactions to be neat and they are cool, but when im stealing 5 or more items in a room and have to open at least four drawers on a desk it becomes extremely irritating. Finally my last point is that they point some things in this game that were unnecessary. For example when you are at the brothel there are about four places you can peek through the holes in the wall and see some special services being committed. I can see if they include sound, but the fact that they include multiple scenes made me feel like they were completely irrelevant to the game and they were included to try to bring in more people to buy the game. The other annoyance in the game which happens quite often is the screen flashing. When you move in and out of the light your screen flashes brightly and is quite blinding especially if you are playing this late at night. Even though you already have a small white orb in the bottom of the screen which tells you whether you can be seen or not. This blinding light also happens when lighting flashes, which almost makes sense to me, but it is just so bright and blinding it ridiculous! After all of this a can see why this game has the reduced price tag, and i hope you look up some game play and really think if you would want to be playing this game for hours and hours before buying. Expand
  27. Feb 26, 2014
    Graphics 4/10
    Gameplay 3/10
    Story -6/10
    Atmoshphere 12/10
    Voice Acting -13/10

This game is not the best game ever, in fact, it is not even the second best game ever or the third best game ever. It is, in fact, the four hundred and twenty three thousand, eight hundred and thirty ninth best game ever.
  28. May 29, 2014
    On the surface, Thief (2014) looks like a solid stealth game and story-wise you don't know what to expect. But man, this game got the worst story-telling I've ever faced in any game before. It really killed the game and in aspects of game-play, I'd say it was mediocre or rather bad when it's such a big title.
    That's why I could not even force myself to like it, not even with Garrets bad
    That's why I could not even force myself to like it, not even with Garrets bad one-liners...
  29. Jun 29, 2014
    What a disappointment. Every part of the game looks, feels and plays like every other part of the game. I was bored within one hour. The AI is tragically dumb ... I stopped playing and moved on to something better.
  30. Jun 29, 2014
    First off, for those who keep saying we shouldn't judge this based on its predecessors: Then they shouldn't have called it Thief.

This game is emblematic of everything wrong with AAA game design at the moment to me. Don't get me wrong, its very very pretty. That means absolutely nothing, especially in terms of story telling, but its pretty. I stopped playing once I realized that I literally had nothing to fear when creeping high above a city street, you have to consciously make the decision to 'fall'. From what I've read of other reviews it doesn't get any better. No sword or dagger, just a quick time event to fight off guards. An apparent aversion to killing, but an achievement for 5 head shots with arrows.

I rarely write reviews, but I hope this studio doesn't get its hands on any other beloved IPs.
  31. Jul 6, 2014
    4 major problems with this game.
    4 major problems with this game.
    1. No Jumping!!! or any movement outside of where the developers want you to go. This creates and extremely linear feel to the game. In a game where climbing and parkour is built into the mechanics free jumping is something that is a massive shame to be left out. I know Garret can jump but only where the developers want you to jump instead there are so many opportunities where a jump could have been so usefull and made the game so fluid but instead you fall to the round off a not nearly fatal enough height and die so instead of jumping you have to sneak past the guards on the street, and when running from one end of the city to the other about 20 times this gets kinda dull.
    2. Stop trying to be like Dishonored. A deadly disease takes the city, the works of ancient magical beings, one assassin/thief against a evil tyrant/dictator.
    3. More diversity, and less emphasis on looting. I know the game's called thief but in no way should the game encourage someone to go through every room in a mission to find all loot items especially when they're valued at 3 or 4 gold a piece. Less loot items but more valuable is my suggestion.
    4 And finally fix the AI, At hard they can pretty much see you no matter what, and on normal you can swoop right past them.
  32. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been...and never will be a **** meaning those 30+ over people who worship old games as holy relics and despise everything made after the "Golden 90s".

That's why, having played the first two Thief games in my youth: Dark Project and Metal Age, i was also able to play and love the third installment of the series, Deadly Shadows, which received a lot of hate from older generations at its release in 2005.
    Sure, Deadly Shadows was a different game regarding mechanics, but the charachters and especially the story fitted perfectly in the Thief's canon.

As the main theme of the saga was the "balance" kept by the Keepers between Pagans and Hammerites, the third game related directly to the Keepers themselves, closing perfectly the cycle with an emblematic ending.

Recently...i think i've developed a sort of "sixth sense" regarding newest games. I'm able to feel immediately if a new sequel or reboot would work or not. I was positive about the new installments of other stealth series, as Hitman and Splinter Cell, and their releases confirmed my impressions.

The absolutely negative feeling i've got about this Thief reboot, also has proven to be correct.

The new Thief is a work which fails in everything... the atmosphere, the gameplay (too influenced by the mediocre Dishonored, which in turn failed to mimic what was best in the Thief saga) and most especially the story.

Deadly Shadows closed with Garret becoming the new leader of the Keepers, as he was always "predestined" to be. And he found a new apprentice, a young girl who tried to rob him in the same manner he did with his old Keeper mentor Artemius at the beginning of Dark Project.

Then we found that in the new Thief he "died in an asylum", the Keepers, Pagans and Hammerites are long gone....and now a new Garret with a female apprentice tries to make a living in a world menaced by themes dear to the old "Deus Ex/Dishonored" clichès... a plague, a conspiracy, a mysterious entity.

There's no explanation about how the world was supposed to develop in such a fashion....no explanation why there's a new "Garrett" with a new fence called "Basso" (why in the hell they took the names of people died centuries before and who probably even don't know!).....and the ending really makes no sense at all.

The oldest saga also got its "voids" in the story or the environment...but they were used to amplify the mistery and atmosphere of the games.

So in conclusion, Thief failed in the element which is the most important for me in a game: its soul.
  33. Jul 21, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Thief 1,2,3 series. I really waited for new series and I was a fool to buy on the first dya it was released on STEAM. I stopped playing this ****
    Instead I'm playing Dishonored and this is more similar than THIEF Reboot.
  34. Dec 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its not thief.
    Its qte console trash.

Good gfx
    Horrible sound (bugs, no environment sounds and, etc)
    Horrible music (into what music?)
    A.I. - Artificial idiot

What is it?
  35. Mar 24, 2015
    Totally generic and uninspired. It tries to copy so many other games that it completely fails to make its own identity. The setting interested me and, initially during the prologue, the looting interested me. That's it. Everything else was a disappointment. There's absolutely no reason to play this travesty when you can get Dishonored instead.
  36. Mar 15, 2015
    Very dissapointing... A reboot of thief 1/thief 2 with todays graphics would be better and sell better. Unfortunately the gaming industry keeps going towards the console fans while ruining games which is something i ll never endorse or contribute.
    Everything is mediocre except for the graphics.
  37. Apr 8, 2014
    This is possibly one of the worst stealth games of the century. What's the point of trying to stay in shadows if the guards are blind as a bat? You could literally stand up, walk around, even RUN and they wouldn't even notice you.

The A.I. is non-existent. They have very narrow field of view, ncps keep repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Houses are empty, levels are horribly designed and very linear with so many loading screens. There's no point in exploring multiple paths because they all get you to the same place anyway. Why bother going around the long way to get to your objective when you can just open the front door and literally end up in the same exact spot? The game is so incredibly linear that the idea of having different paths is just a joke.

Let's not forget that atrocious story... what were they even thinking? The plot is very loose and jumbled it makes the TV show LOST seem like it had a much more understandable and interesting story as ironic as it sounds.

That's just how BAD it is.
  38. Apr 9, 2014
    I could write a long rambling review saying what everyone else has already said about this complete catastrophic train wreck of a "game" ranging from the tiny level sizes and loading screens every 30 meters, to the broken audio to the dumb QTE's and micro-cutscenes which break immersion more than they add, to the dumbing down of the light-gem from 11 states to just 3.

Instead I'll just

Instead I'll just post one example of many of what kind of "casual audience" they're targeting for Call of Thiefy 4. This is a genuine objective from Mission 1:-

"Get 4 Headshots"

Headshots. In Thief...

When playing a Khajiit in Skyrim or replaying a 1998 game gives you a better "Thief" experience than 2014 Thief, you know the franchise is now dead...

Do yourself a favor, go buy the original trilogy dirt cheap on GOG, then treat yourself to Dishonored if you haven't already played it, which although different from Thief, doesn't actively take the p*ss and insult your intelligence like this putrid train-wreck masquerading as a "Thief sequel"...
  39. Mar 12, 2014
    To be brief: I regret having bought this **** Name it "Call of duty, thief" , Or "Assassin's creed: cheesy thief", and you will get the sense. One of the best franchise every turned into a dumb game for dumb coach junkies, that's all. **** you creators of this, I hope most of people will keep on pirating the game.
  40. Apr 1, 2014
    Worst reboot of a game ever in gaming history. I hope every dev that worked on this pile of festering snot of a game lose their jobs and end up serving fries.

1) Too gutless and yellow to connect the game to old Thief series because they are scared of being accused of "Tying game to past Thiefs" 2) Boring, uninteresting plot 3) Stupid mini cutscenes that take away control from

2) Boring, uninteresting plot

3) Stupid mini cutscenes that take away control from you in typical consolitis fashion. For example, knock out a guard and you are locked out of control for 5 seconds while Garrett lovingly lowers the unconscions guard to the ground

4) Consolitis in every way. From the cutscenes, to the gameplay, to the story. Brainless garbage

5) The devs who made this game are sexual deviants. One mission forces you to watch five pornographic scenes. Yes I am not kidding you, you are forced to watch pornography over and over again, five times in a row, to solve a mission. I am talking about the brothel mission. It's so sad that porn addicts are given jobs as game devs.

6) The game constantly deletes your savegames. I spent two hours working my way through the seventh mission, only to find that when I clicked the "Continue" button it deleted my manual saves and made me restart the seventh mission. Please fire the losers who made this garbage worthless sequel of a game.

Worst reboot ever. In fact, reboot is for losers who spit and urinate on the fine lore that previous designers made. I hope that everybody on this pile of festering dog doo never get to work in the gaming industry again.
  41. Jun 17, 2014
    **** graphics, terrible controls, low FPS even in cutscenes, and brainless AI. Also, gamma in game so dirty, that you feel how dog turd squeeze on your face instead NEXTGEN. Time and money wasted.
  42. Mar 13, 2014
    As a standalone game this would be a standard run-of-the-mill stealth'em up game, and I would give it a standard "meh"-score of around 5 or 6.

However, since they decided to put the name "Thief" on the game and claim it to be a sequel to the original Thief series, it must (unfortunately for itself) be judged based on how it compares to the original games. And that's where it fails,

And that's where it fails, and miserably so. Gone is the humor, the feeling of an huge playing ground, the freedom... As it stands it's a messed up mix of Assassin's Creed, Batman, and a huge chunk of Dishonored thrown in for measure.

Actually, to use another Batman reference, this game feels like the Batman & Robin movie (with George Clooney) compared to the original Batman with Michael Keaton.
  43. Mar 8, 2014
    Visually the game is quite good. The atmosphere was decent but it feels a bit sterile and empty. What kills the game completely is the lack of freedom and the incredibly stupid contextual movement. This enhances the feeling of being on rails, and in fact is the definition of being on rails in games. I didn't notice any particular difference in advantage from picking one path over anotherVisually the game is quite good. The atmosphere was decent but it feels a bit sterile and empty. What kills the game completely is the lack of freedom and the incredibly stupid contextual movement. This enhances the feeling of being on rails, and in fact is the definition of being on rails in games. I didn't notice any particular difference in advantage from picking one path over another when it was offered either. I'd go as far as saying that it feels like the developers went out of their way to create the coolest Thief ever but missed the genre completely. A sad, sad example of game creators expecting their players to be underdeveloped intellectually which is so common these days. Expand
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    This game has the same engine as dishonored, however they were not able to take advantage on its great features... its a simple, badly made clone, same story, same tricks, bad story. nowhere even close to the original thief feeling. don't waste money on it.
  45. Apr 14, 2014
    Thief looks very pretty, runs smoothly and the game-play is mostly good. Clambering about the city is fun. Your tools are pretty good too, with ropes that can be deployed to gain high locations, water that can be used to quench light sources and other toys with which to make your way. If you turn off all the aids and guides, the game is even quite immersive. (I turned off everything saveThief looks very pretty, runs smoothly and the game-play is mostly good. Clambering about the city is fun. Your tools are pretty good too, with ropes that can be deployed to gain high locations, water that can be used to quench light sources and other toys with which to make your way. If you turn off all the aids and guides, the game is even quite immersive. (I turned off everything save the highlighting of interactive objects and the lock-picking U.I.)

Unfortunately, the main story is drivel. It is incredibly contrived and, as a result, there is absolutely no reason to care about it. The city itself makes a rather good sand-box but that is limited and somewhat repetitive so it will not hold your attention for long. The side quests are variable - some of them are fun - but they aren't rewarding at all because they all end with brief thanks from the quest-giver, nothing more. Fetch item from place for person, person says thanks, rinse, repeat.

Ending missions and transitioning between map areas both carry a great sense of discontinuity. I frequently abandoned a session after a level transition teleported me to an environment that felt completely different to the one I left, in which I entered the level heading in the opposite direction to my previous heading. After each mission, you are teleported back to your tower, free to set out once more.

The much lauded options screen does not let you disable objective notifications and this is a major problem. The objective notifications turn the game into a work-to list, continually reminding you what you should do, next. They are redundant and unnecessary and they remove all the fun from working things out. Yes, you may pick up some documents and read them in depth to learn about the place you've infiltrated. That is irrelevant - just do what the popup says. Similarly, you can't disable the obvious and repeated scratch marks below every climbable grate, the puerile bright-white paint splashed on edges up which you may mantle or the glowing blue highlights on ladders and climbable pipes. All of these are a slap in the face to those of us seeking an opportunity to think creatively, they break immersion and, perhaps, they're sadly necessary because there's a great deal of geometry you may not climb for no apparent reason. (The levels are all mazes of a few allowed paths.)

The sound design is also cheap and nasty. Gone are the EAX-powered rooms of yore with echoes and direction and context and ambience. Today's Thief - a title in a series formerly considered the pinnacle of sound scapes - is played with background music and conversations from disembodied voices. When two characters are talking, one may sound incredibly near and the other be barely audible. The environments are flat. Sounds and volumes give no indication of distance or direction.

The penultimate nail in Thief's coffin is the batch of scripted running sequences. They are at once frustratingly difficult - don't run too slowly, don't run too fast, don't deviate from the path, don't make any mistake, only one option works, everything else kills you instantly - and incredibly boring because of their linearity. They are out of place in a game called Thief, too, where stealth and ingenuity, not speed, should be key.

Finally, Thief is scuppered by the blatant re-use and cheap duplication of content prevalent throughout the game. Every guard or threat spouts the same lines; even if the accent is varied. Conversations repeat endlessly to the point that one's driven to turn off the game's sound. The city is a mass of similar buildings that are so bland and forgettable that navigation requires the mini-map. Even the squeezing-through-hidden-passage sequence that I initially perceived as a clever disguise for an area transition is copied over and over, with the same annoying quick-time-event required to move the same wooden beam out of your way.

As a footnote, I must also mention the desk fans. Steampunk environments are awesome, yes, but steam powered desk fans are just trying too hard.
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    It's a beautiful game, there's no doubt about it, but, that's all.
    The game system is very poor, no real challenge at the end. And if a guard see your character, you have to replay that moment again, which is very annoying after a time.
    And a stealth game in first person, it's a bad choice in my opinion.
  47. Mar 8, 2014
    I created an account just to make this short review. The game is one of the worst games I have ever played in my life, I have not played the other Thief games so as a newcomer to the series, I doubt I will be coming back if they ever decide to make an sequel.

Don't waste on your money on this game, it is not worth your time nor is it enjoyable at all. You will be constantly frustrated how bad the AI is, how **** the level design is and how annoying all the bugs and glitches including the horrible audio problems the game has. I wish this game wasn't so bad, gladly I didn't pay full price for it either.

Buy this game if you're looking for a horrible gaming experience, horrible story, linear gameplay and awful gameplay in general.

I'm feeling quite generous by giving this game 3 out of 10...
  48. Mar 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very similar to Dishonored but unfortunately it is very bad. I
    have played this game about 4 hours and then i turned off the game because
    this game has a bad plot and a combat system. The worst thing that you can
    not collect the arrows from dead enemies. Despite all disadvantages the
    game has very good graphic.
  49. Mar 10, 2014
    Removing everything that is loved about the series besides 'a guy who steals,' including the ability to jump, something which has been integral in first person games since they're been made. Leaving garret seemingly rolling on caterpillar tracks over the ground.

No rope arrows, no hammerites, no pagans mechanists, or keepers, blackjack takedowns annoyingly animated with cutscenes, closing a door behind you becomes an four second cutscene instead of something you barely think about. Some things would have been so easy to implement and given such pleasure, such as the word 'taffer' are completely missing, though surreally, obscure characters like 'basso' ARE involved.

Boring locations and missions, without the imagination of the prequels. Stunningly linear, and with a mess of an interface, too many buttons and innapropriate minmal-futuristic design. Walking off an edge will leave you walking into an invisible wall, you have to drop down with X which removes all tension from being somewhere up high. Listen we know new players don't know who the hammerites are. But do you know what? When we all played Thief 1 for the first time, neither did we. Somehow we managed, we became fascinated.

Wiggle your finger on this button to open a window. Everytime you squeeze through a small gap (cutscene, obviously) There's the exact same piece of wood waiting to be moved no matter where in the game you are. So you hammer a button which is somehow meant to replicate the physical effort of moving a wooden beam or window. And don't get me started on the horrendous 3D wall climbing which takes you completely out of character.

The handholding is extremely grating. Everywhere you can mantle has been swarthed in white paint, no matter whether in the city, in a church, or in an ancient ruin, somehow that paint got there. A question for developers: How do you think players of previous thief games worked out they could mantle up something. That's right. They looked at it and used their brain, thus creating the game aspect. To see some white paint and think. Ok, they're telling me this is the way now, is not fun.

The only redeeming feature is that it's very much a stealth experience. Just completely lacking thief atmosphere or personality.

tldr; They threw away everything interesting about the thief universe, then ruined the gameplay. Enjoy.
  50. Apr 8, 2014
    yet another AAA crap... yet another rip off of the old game... absolute garbage... the worst thief game ever made... this crap is an insult to the original Thief series...
  51. May 10, 2014
    This being the first Thief game I've played, and having no knowledge about the last ones, I admit that I don't have past experiences with Thief games to compare this one to.

I was so excited to play this game after seeing the trailer that made it look way better than it actually was. I was disappointed. The game has so many flaws, including the fact that you CAN'T JUMP. You can only jump when there are certain objects, in a certain spot, of a certain height, right in front of you. Also, when you're standing on a roof or high wooden plank, you can't fall off. The game does this idiotic thing where Garrett just crouches over the edge and won't move unless you make him. That takes away any challenge or risk of falling off. It misses the whole point of being up high. The "tips" portion of the loading screen always hints to "search around the city, because you never know what you might find." Trust me, it's completely predictable what you'll find; useless gold coins and cheap cups and silverware that'll take hours of picking up to actually accumulate enough money to buy something. Also, do NOT get into a fight with the guards. Garrett is unrealistically weak, and you have almost no chance of winning if you're fighting more than one person without using food that you barely have enough of, because your inventory can only be so small.
    The graphics are terrible. We live in 2014!!! They could have easily made the graphics so much clearer. It looks like they just got lazy.
    The story line is weak, doesn't add up, and so many things don't make sense or are left out. You find yourself thinking "But what happened to ____?" or "What was the point of that entire scene?"

What I disliked most about the game was probably the fact that guards can detect you, chase you, CLEARLY SEE where you ran off to, and then forget where you went just a second later. If someone watches you run and hide in a closet, they somehow have no idea where you went, and don't bother to check anywhere. Also, you can have the entire city after you one second, hide for a minute or two, go back outside, and everyone forgot that anything happened.

Save your money and wait for an actual game that's worth what you paid for.
  52. Mar 7, 2014
    This is a bland , linear and above all, tear-your-hair out frustrating game that doesn't deserve to be on anyone's shelf, and if it has found it's way to your collection somehow, pray that someone 'steals' this abomination. It's impossible to sneak your way through levels and stick to the shadows since all the levels are designed to cramp your style due to the claustrophobic nature of theThis is a bland , linear and above all, tear-your-hair out frustrating game that doesn't deserve to be on anyone's shelf, and if it has found it's way to your collection somehow, pray that someone 'steals' this abomination. It's impossible to sneak your way through levels and stick to the shadows since all the levels are designed to cramp your style due to the claustrophobic nature of the places you'll visit. The game feels clunky and unpolished... I honestly enjoyed playing Rambo more than Thief. The loading times....just god-awful, every 5 minutes it seems there's an interruption and voila, you'll be staring at a progress bar again and again. There's no jump button...in 2014, I mean this isn't zelda ffs, if you are going to make a realistic game with some minor paranormal overtones then why remove a basic trait that all people with two healthy legs can accomplish? If Adam Jensen can jump, then why can't Garrett?

The voice acting is ok but at times it's drowned out by the music OR the characters' conversations get stuck in a loop and you're forced to listen to the same phrase repeated 20 times in succession. "if they have a cure for the gloom, I'll put up with the throng to get my hands on it"....Try listening to that repeatedly without getting annoyed.

All the side-missions are the same, basically you're looking for a 2X4 that you can latch a rope arrow to which eventually leads to a window you must open with a crowbar and steal the loot. There's virtually no variation in any of them. Boring as fukk. Also, if I fire 5 fire arrows into an enemy, you'd expect them to go down , dead on the spot. Not the case here, as one blow to the head from a blackjack is more effective than 5 piercing arrows doused in flame.

The animations are sub-par as well, Garret and the rest of the lot barely make a facial gesture that resembles normal human emotion.... Performance is ok, but it's disappointing that Mantle wasn't released for AMD graphics card optimization because it was promised by the developer.

All in all, you guys should not invest any time in this, just spend more time with your girlfriends instead. Peace.
  53. Apr 1, 2014
    Well last good thief was thief 2, but this game is really the worst thief game. It has some interesting ideas, but almost every part of this game is sub par. The world looks nice at first, but after a while you will notice how badly done it is.
  54. Mar 7, 2014
    The art direction is nice.

The art direction is nice.

Unfortunately, that is the only positive point I can give Thief. For want of a better word, this game is terrible. Starting a game unceremoniously plonks you in a brightly lit room with an unconcious man. Garret mutters something about there being too much light before proceeding to pocket everything that isn't nailed down (scissors? really? who's going to buy stolen scissors?) A few handy dandy objective markers later and Garret is being shoe-horned through a window onto a narrow beam. Don't worry about falling off the beam, kids; our good friends at Squeenix have made that impossible. At the end of the beam is a window into which you will need to jam your trust crowbar in and mash the action button frantically to open. Apparently, this is the only way to open any window in the game, even ones you've jimmied open already. Anyway, continuing on leads you to a room full of birdcages and birds, Garrett gently guides you through the process of disabling a tricky painting lock, someone gets noisy on the roof and a roof chase with all the hallmarks of a rickety old ghost ride ensues. Throw in a few cut scenes for good measure.

Rinse and repeat.

Thief isn't so much a game as it a dull, repetitive hidden object game where nothing is really hidden. Everything is scripted and described prior to actual occurrence, so there's never any threat of having to think for yourselves. Stealth is achieved as long as you don't do anything so remarkably stupid as to run about in the light, and even then combat is easily evaded so long as you make it to a window. Mario tiptoeing past a sleeping pirhana plant exhibited better stealth mechanics than thief does. Avoid like the plague. Do not waste your money.
  55. Apr 23, 2014
    Thief isn't polished enough , I'm hacking thru it as I got it free . It's clunky ,falls short on its story and well just isn't quite there . I was very tempted to buy this for the xbox , I'm glad I didn't . I would've been very disappointed .

don't bother !
  56. Mar 7, 2014
    To sum things up. The levels are pathetic small, especially the bank heist mission. Way to much context sensitive interaction and cut scenes that draw you out of character. Even reading in game documents your drawn into a simple menu screen that lacks the flavor of the old ingame gumps. There is a good foundation here and the game is not horrible, the small client missions retain some ofTo sum things up. The levels are pathetic small, especially the bank heist mission. Way to much context sensitive interaction and cut scenes that draw you out of character. Even reading in game documents your drawn into a simple menu screen that lacks the flavor of the old ingame gumps. There is a good foundation here and the game is not horrible, the small client missions retain some of the old thief feel that the main story missions completely miss but they don't save the game. Here's hoping for more refined sequel. Expand
  57. Jan 18, 2015
    Yet another classic franchise ruined by AAA publisher "sensibilities."

I grew up with the Thief games. And to see it turned into this hackneyed abomination is just heartbreaking. They lobotomized the city by removing the interesting factions. The removed the majority of the color. They removed ALL of the humor. They... Ugh, you know what? Just google some reviews of this turd on
    Yet another classic franchise ruined by AAA publisher "sensibilities."

Ugh, you know what? Just google some reviews of this turd on stealth gaming websites. They'll explain it better, without a 5000 character limit.
  58. Mar 11, 2014
    Thief has never been the right title for this series; Kleptomaniac would be more appropriate. These games have always been a quandary for me as I enjoy stealth games but hate the incessant collecting of loot in RPGs. With this reboot I saw the chance to build on what made the originals tense and addictive, and get rid of the repetitive game play dictated by the restrictions of earlierThief has never been the right title for this series; Kleptomaniac would be more appropriate. These games have always been a quandary for me as I enjoy stealth games but hate the incessant collecting of loot in RPGs. With this reboot I saw the chance to build on what made the originals tense and addictive, and get rid of the repetitive game play dictated by the restrictions of earlier hardware.
    What we end up with is the exact opposite. The minute to minute game play is just as tedious as the previous iterations, but where those had a unique aesthetic, large open levels and great sound design, this has countless loading screens and truly awful sound that is nearly always useless at letting you know where NPCs are located (more important than visuals in a first person stealth game). The story manages to be bland and ridiculous at the same time (quite a feat) and all the characters are dull.
    All that being said, some of the side missions are quite interesting and rewarding to play and at times manage to capture the spirit of earlier titles. These missions could have brought the score to a six if it wasn't for the last third of the campaign. My god, what a mess.
    In the last third you have a new enemy to contend with (I think they are called freaks) that have esp. You cannot sneak up on these creature without them being aware of your presence, and they sense when you use focus which nullifies most of you abilities. The absolute worst crime though, is the inclusion of TWO boss battles. Criminal in a stealth game.
    In summing up; Thief is a game that has aped many games, including it's predecessors, but has learned nothing from any of them.
  59. Oct 18, 2014
    So here I am, playing thief because I loved the previous titles and although I'm fairly disappointed by the action elements in it (When did Thief become a platform game?) I was enjoying the game....
    Until I hit an actual boss fight (Yes in Thief!, next boss fight in Civilizations, Settlers or the Sims?) where you're not able to save at all.
    Considering I turned on a lot of options off to
    Considering I turned on a lot of options off to come closer to the real thief experience I find it impossible to continue the game.
    So after 7 chapters playing I found out that I should have kept those options on because Thief has turned into an action game with un-savable boss fights.
    Now I understand all those negative reviews.......R.I.P Thief franchise
  60. Mar 10, 2014
    Hi, I have been playing PC games since 1995. I have played all previous Thief games within the franchise, which I thoroughly enjoyed and I eagerly awaited this re-release.

Please take this as a warning to save your money and stop supporting developers and game publishers from release garbage like this and charging 50 USD for the privilege. This sale of this game is an act of theft in itself, with yet another bastardisation of a successful Franchise, such as we have seen with Diablo 3, COD franchise, BF4, etc.

Or if you really enjoy linear games, where you have no freedom to choose your path, love repetitive cut scenes and you enjoy collecting ashtrays and paperweights as 'treasure' - then please go right ahead.
  61. Apr 3, 2014
    Running into guards has no consequences, the mechanics/key configurations for PC are junk, the audio is off, and the clipping interface in some areas are just awful (I can't walk over a 3 millimeter difference in flooring? wtf?). There really isn't a redeeming thing about this game.

Just to clarify what I mean by no consequence, I mean you are in one room and alert the guards, just run into the next room. Even though there are guards in there, they won't react to the screams and warnings of the guards from the previous room. They'll just do their thing and wonder about nothing, because they're brain dead.
  62. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is so boring. You're stuck in corridors and literally walk around grabbing little cups and stuff. I installed it with high hopes after watching the trailers and reading reviews but regret every penny I spent.
  63. Mar 27, 2014
    Most worst screenplay ever! Game is not so bad, but "genius" of Rhianna Pratchett crosses all. Enough relaunches of good old games. Eidos should hire a good scenarist and develop new titles.
  64. MB_
    Mar 31, 2014
    Played the intro and I just can't strike up any interest to play any more of it.

The gameplay feels to rail-roaded and limited, you can't even jump? I don't feel in control of the character. The character isn't the same, the tone of the world isn't the same, the new female character doesn't fit in with the loner Garrett of the first games, nothing about the game says Thief to me. Which is what I signed up for.

But all of that could be forgiven if it was just fun to play, where Dishonoured got everything utterly spot on and right Thief fails on ever conceivable level. A complete embarrassment.
  65. Mar 3, 2014
    If you have never played the earlier Thief games and you like simple gameplay, few choices and a low budget plot you may enjoy this game. However if you have played and enjoyed the earlier games you will feel outraged, cheated and generally very disappointed. Either way aim to pay no more than at the most 50% of its retail price.
  66. Mar 15, 2014
    The worst disappointment ever. Awful AI, a incredibly dull story without any logic, characters as expressive and lively as a graveyard. No free play at all. No searching for a own approach. And no fun. And this c*** i have been expecting eagerly for nearly ten years? Shame on you, Square Enix.
  67. Mar 6, 2014
    This game is unbelievable Sacrilege of the series. I feel like someone make the Splinter Cell like crap out of the Thief:
    - totally linear levels – game almost on the rails!
    - absolutely no place for creativity! - AI worse than terrible! - boring and redundant animations! - schematic looting system! - terrible voice acting! - main hero which has nothing in common with the original
    - totally linear levels – game almost on the rails!
    - absolutely no place for creativity!
    - AI worse than terrible!
    - boring and redundant animations!
    - schematic looting system!
    - terrible voice acting!
    - main hero which has nothing in common with the original one!
    - tons of theme braking cut scenes!
    - waypoints and interactive (modern!) map!
    - interface similar to Assassins Creed! As long as in AC its climatic due to Animus theme, here it is a profanation.
    The game has nothing from the predecessors, and everyone who loves them should forget about this game. It is another example, how to kill the legend, gaining easy money from the hype! I intend and recommend to newer buy a game from this developer again. Let them bankrupt for such unspeakable insult.
  68. Mar 2, 2014
    Very disappointed.

Very disappointed.

First of all this isn’t much of a pure stealth game, it’s a jack of all trades but king of none. Side missions? You will bore yourself to death going back and forth in the city - through loading times and places you’ve been to 20 times before - only to get a few forks worth 2 gold each in a couldn’t be smaller apartment where there isnt a single soul (absolutely zero stealth involved). That “open-ended” part of the game feels like a complete abortion of an elder’s scrolls game.

Then quite often this game wants to be a puzzle game a la Myst, but again it just feels like an abortion of it. It’s more like Thief 4: find the randomly/stupidly placed switch and voila, “puzzle” solved (as a side note, turning off focus will make you want to kill yourself because of how utterly random the switch finding trash is). What the hell were they thinking including that in the game? The puzzles should be stealth related: how to get through areas, guards, etc. but there’s actually not much of that. It should be very central to the game yet you end up spending a lot more of your time doing something else, even in story related missions.

And quite a lot of that something else is “go forward in a narrow corridor” pseudo movie garbage with a lot of scripted stuff, if not outright interactive animations or boring mini games. Blatant case of idiots thinking they’re good game designers just because they use what they learned in their graphics/animation design classes as much as they can. If I want to see a f****** movie I’m gonna go rent an actual one… but I want to play an actual game, not a “tag along for the ride mr. 12 year old ADD console casutard” kind of game. And then there’s the animations for picking up stuff and disabling guards… who with an IQ over 80 can actually think this adds anything to the game? Not only is it a gigantic waste of time but it can actually get you out of shadows and expose you (the item pickup animation) or make you waste precious time after disabling a guard (forces you to stand there like a retard when you’re dying to go hide because you know there’s another guard coming). Overall a lot of the design decisions are just plain retarded.

On the technical side of things, almost everything is subpar except for graphic quality:

Sound rendering: this is arguably the worst aspect of this game. If there’s a game type that needs good sound it’s a stealth one but in thief… sounds often go straight through roofs/floors and the angle/distance from which they come is vague at best (especially distance). I’ve often gone wtf realizing a guy I thought was very close to me was actually 30 feet away or vice-versa, if not on a whole different floor (just lol). I think every first person game I ever played has better sound rendering than thief.

Physics: overall it feels a bit sloppy which is bad for a game in which accurate control over your character is important, not to mention the lack of freedom (can’t jump and all that other nonsense).

Stealth system: it’s bad on many levels.
    - Light is all or nothing with no in between. It’s very simplistic and it contributes to the second point.
    - As a whole it feels rather random, I’ve been spotted from 10 feet in very dark places not moving at all… and at times I’ve gotten away with stuff/mistakes that I thought would get me spotted for sure (master difficulty). I’ve gone almost through the whole game and I still have little confidence in what I can and can’t do. Other thief games gave you a lot of confidence and in fact even most shooters are a lot better. System as a whole is just bad.
    - Footsteps, they have pretty much thrown that aspect of the game to the curb, 95% of the time you won’t give a f*** what surface you’re on since it doesn’t make any difference, as long as you avoid specific spots (glass and water) which are not very common at all. There are no moss arrows and frankly you don’t need them, that’s how much they cared.

Lastly, it is a console abortion of a PC game with the typical symptoms: can’t bind anything, limited savegames and hold this button for 0.5 second please. For example, flash bombs are bound to 9… not exactly handy when you want to get out of a sticky situation. Sooner or later you’ll hit 0 instead of 9 trying to be quick and end up with a bottle in your hand… and a sword in your face.

I’m not even sure you should wait for a discount, this is pretty much diablo 3/total war rome 2 kinda stuff: another great series getting annihilated by a game that not only isnt as good as the previous ones, but isnt even objectively average.
  69. Mar 1, 2014
    The underlying features of the story setting is very alluring, but the game itself executed everything horribly. Clumsy controls and NPCs behave irrationally. The graphics are below expectations for today's standards. Models and materials are very rough; the overall feel is not even as good as the first Assassin's Creed game or Dishonored. I didn't expect Thief to launch with Mantle (whichThe underlying features of the story setting is very alluring, but the game itself executed everything horribly. Clumsy controls and NPCs behave irrationally. The graphics are below expectations for today's standards. Models and materials are very rough; the overall feel is not even as good as the first Assassin's Creed game or Dishonored. I didn't expect Thief to launch with Mantle (which it was supposed to) on the PC given the tremendous amount of bugs in the BF4 roll-out. Plus Mantle is now surely aimed more to boost performance for low-to-mid end hardware. On high end rigs, the gain is now minimal to none compared to DirectX.

I was very looking forward to this game since I enjoy "historically" plotted stealth games, but this title is surely a letdown.
  70. Mar 2, 2014
    Here's what the game is actually about: You are put in tiny sections where you basically have to get from A to B. Which are like 20 meters apart usually so far.
    The game doesn't even let you check out the environment to seek different ways to get past the obstacles to reach your goal because you can't properly move freely. You can't even jump yourself. Try jumping over from one building to another? How about no, you jump down.

No what about the thieving part? Well, since it's not hard or tactical to reach your price there's no fun in getting it in the first place. Besides that you'll spend a lot of time picking up completely useless garbage to reach some stupid achievements like finding all the garbage in a certain level.

I have to make the comparison with Dishonored here as it sure attracts the same audience, and it sure looks a lot alike.
    Take Dishonored, replace the controls with really crappy ones, change the levels so you have as much choice as you'd have in Crash Bandicoot - voila. Now make the characters and the story as boring as it can get: You have Thief.
  71. Mar 1, 2014
    The game would be a 7/10 but... I just uninstalled it... srsly, what is this saving system? Auto save saves over my manual save, then I load manual save, then it loads map start, then I load auto save back, then it loads even before map start... thx, but that's enough of a 45mins mission. The game plays this the second time, basically there is no savegame management. I just made a mistake,The game would be a 7/10 but... I just uninstalled it... srsly, what is this saving system? Auto save saves over my manual save, then I load manual save, then it loads map start, then I load auto save back, then it loads even before map start... thx, but that's enough of a 45mins mission. The game plays this the second time, basically there is no savegame management. I just made a mistake, wanted to load again my quick save but it's non-existent and my manual save loads a chapter start... WHY? And why the **** does it overwrite every ****ing autosave just by loading it?
    Btw the game is linear, dumbed down, the stealing part is fun tho, but it's far from the sandbox levels of the 1st or 2nd game.
  72. Feb 27, 2014
    The worst Thief game ever made. The story is laughable, the AI is stupid, the game is horribly linear, the protagonist sucks. Nope, it's not Thief, it's CoD with stealth. The "reboot everything" trend is gotta be stopped someday and I hope they won't make a sequel for this garbage.
  73. Mar 2, 2014
    This game has no its own image - instead, it's a Frankenstein-like creature, with parkour from Mirror's Edge, with arms and shroud from Chronicles of Riddick and Aliens vs. Predator, with QTE from... you know where, with boring story, pathetic heroes, and dull NPCs. All that was good and even perfect of three previous Thief games has been thrown away: Keepers, Hammerites, Mechanists,This game has no its own image - instead, it's a Frankenstein-like creature, with parkour from Mirror's Edge, with arms and shroud from Chronicles of Riddick and Aliens vs. Predator, with QTE from... you know where, with boring story, pathetic heroes, and dull NPCs. All that was good and even perfect of three previous Thief games has been thrown away: Keepers, Hammerites, Mechanists, Pagans, Kurshoks, burricks, glyphs, perfect voice of Stephen Russell as Garrett, wonderful ambient from Eric Brosius... everything! This game isn't Thief, it's a Hollywood-style fake with bloated budget. Expand
  74. Mar 3, 2014
    Do not drop any cash on this game. Skidrow it and judge for yourself. They have taken the thief game, tried to turn it into a dishonoured/assassins creed clone and failed. The story is bland, the levels are very linear, there is no real feeling of being able to do things your way.

Those out there high rating this game have not played Thief when it was great, they are also calling those of us who don't like it morons... I wouldn't like to resort to name calling but naive come to mind.
  75. Mar 4, 2014
    So what happens when a game developer thinks nothing but the bottom line, grabs a beloved franchise and wipe he's a$$ with it? You get "thief 2014".
    The dreaded and infectious tentacles of "Call Of Duty" has now grasp this one with "quick time events" "cover base crap" "liner maps" "hand holding exploration" and my personal fav "full price for 4 hours"
    Thief, the total says it all. It

Thief, the total says it all. It will take you money and you'll cop a big "F@CK YOU!" in the face.
  76. Mar 4, 2014
    I really didn't like this game. It's buggy and annoying to play. You don't really understand the story. There are some places where you should be able to climb but you can't. There is no different ways to play the levels. Etc, etc. This game fails to do what it was made to.
  77. Feb 13, 2015
    Another game series ruined by AAA publishers feeling they need to change a bunch of stuff to make it "appeal" to the mass market. Eidos, don't make a Thief game at all if you're not going to do it proper. **** cutscenes, **** the linearity, **** scripted events, **** loot being everywhere, ****ing Garrets horrible voice actor, and **** this game. This isn't Thief. It's a poor mans Thief.Another game series ruined by AAA publishers feeling they need to change a bunch of stuff to make it "appeal" to the mass market. Eidos, don't make a Thief game at all if you're not going to do it proper. **** cutscenes, **** the linearity, **** scripted events, **** loot being everywhere, ****ing Garrets horrible voice actor, and **** this game. This isn't Thief. It's a poor mans Thief. The fact that Thief 2 ten years ago is twice as complex as this game shows a bad turn for the industry. i mean seriously? You can't improve on the features already there? Happened to Splinter Cell, happened to Thief. Both series dumbed down to try and "appeal" to a bigger market. It doesn't work like that Eidos, i'm glad this game got **** on and i'll be happy to **** on it myself so you learn not to **** with classic games. Expand
  78. Oct 28, 2014
    My mistake. I'm sorry but this game is really broken. Two important thing in this game - surround sound, and other thing is that levels are broken when you can't go back to some places and find all the loot. You can't jump in many silly places or use rope arrows to go back for loot. Then ropes are placed by developer in many stupid places sometimes in front of guards. You must repeatMy mistake. I'm sorry but this game is really broken. Two important thing in this game - surround sound, and other thing is that levels are broken when you can't go back to some places and find all the loot. You can't jump in many silly places or use rope arrows to go back for loot. Then ropes are placed by developer in many stupid places sometimes in front of guards. You must repeat levels many times. Even this can't help because you have counter for all loot to whole level and you don't know where to look. It's really frustrating. Maybe if you do not want to look for loot this game is for you but for me this is most important thing. And this is just first level !!!! I don't want to look further and lose my nerves. Game have many good things but the most important are broken. Sound is broken too. Many things you can't hear at all or you hear a person in building miles away from you and you thinks that person is standing in front of you. Sound is looping suddenly or disappears. Expand
  79. Feb 27, 2014
    Simply no, the devs had the chance to react to the issues way before the game came out, as listed in forums, given feedback etc. but they simply did not, they pulled through with their thing.

And that's what's come out, a disappointmend and imho destruction of the Thief series.

Simply, nope!
  80. Feb 28, 2014
    A poor game, poor port, and the controls are terrible.

When climbing a fence, you NEVER know if he will vault over it entirely, or climb onto it. This can get you killed and stuck in places you didn't want to be - you just wanted to climb onto the ledge. Suggestion - let us walk off edges and have climb only climb, not vault. Swoop only activates when releasing the key, not on
    A poor game, poor port, and the controls are terrible.

Swoop only activates when releasing the key, not on pressing it. It's clunky and annoying.

When faced with a chest of drawers, instead of being happy, you'll say "oh, no", because now you have to watch 4 annoying cutscenes where the camera jerks around, not even returning you to its starting position.

When you crouch the Field of View zooms in making it painful to play. Imagine playing while looking through a magnifying glass.

Sometimes it blocks you from walking off a ledge, unless you're running, so you have to press a key to drop down, but sometimes it will drop you when you didn't expect it. Have fun with that.

~ From a big fan of Thief 1/2/3, Splinter Cell 1/2/3, Dishonored, and even the stealth elements of Batman: AC. This game is not in the same league.
  81. Mar 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the small things that killed the game for me, examples:

-garret voice sux.

-the girl is a annoying child.

-the claw is nothing more that a simple meat hook and that changes the entire game mechanic ? garret never thought of that before ?

-garret cant jump unless scripted ?

-garret cant blackjack people unless in the "focus mode" ?

-Unskipable animation of looking the corners of a window before trying to open it. Even if just went thru it and must go back, every single time...

-Pressing 'E' repeatedly to open a window ? is that suposed to make us feel like doing some effort ? god of war style of opening things in thief...

-at some point the guards entered in a loop saying the same phrase over and over again, like, conversation, 3 second pause, same conversation, 3 second pause, again, again...

-after entering the city i didn't go to the objective right away, i went exploring. Then i found the i need some kind of tool to get the screws of stuff around, what ? where do i get it ? cant find, ok, go to objective, ooh its sold here, ok, lets steal, get mission to rob a bank, right in the end, already inside the safe, another box thing says i must have yet another tool to cut wires... what ? there was no such thing in the npc selling stuff...

- you are in a bank, you are in front of a counter, more like a table with some steel bars on top, there is an item you can steal at the other side of it... IF you were human, a mere lean foward and reach for it would do the trick since the steel bars are very widely spaced... you cant, and you cant jump on the table... to get the item that's right in front of you must go to the other side, in another room with a camera. The solution to this could be so simple, since your game mechanic sux that much, don't place items in such way that it casts a beam of light showing the poor job done in the game.

-oh i remember another, when you are opening a drawer, if the drawer is empty, garret right hand don't enter the scene, ok, but, if there is something in the drawer, the right hand appears before we see the content of the drawer, making it feels awkward.

-And in the beginning you need money to buy stuff, but, garret chooses to make a collection of the most valuable items ? i think i heard some guard saying that the mask would feed a lot of mouths for a year or something, but, no...

-Hes been away for so long, and don't remember anything, has powers ? his eye changed ? yet, shows little interrest in persuing awsers. Cant say more because i stop playing.

Dishonored is a much better successor to the thief series.
  82. Mar 2, 2014
    Generally disappointing but there are some occasional saving graces. The UI navigation and control scheme feel clunky; despite running a fairly robust rig and playing on medium settings there are still more than the few odd lags and low framerate spikes. the game play is mostly uninspired with a really lousy combat system (which may be somewhat forgotten or forgiven if you play it as aGenerally disappointing but there are some occasional saving graces. The UI navigation and control scheme feel clunky; despite running a fairly robust rig and playing on medium settings there are still more than the few odd lags and low framerate spikes. the game play is mostly uninspired with a really lousy combat system (which may be somewhat forgotten or forgiven if you play it as a true stealth-ghost game). the story-line is somewhat bland and the graphics uninspiring (this is not helped by the fact that you usually stay in shadows away from light almost all the time). the game would have been helped if there was a bigger open world/sandbox concept and a little more direction. as it is, it is not a bad a game as some would have you believe but it is far from being a good game either. Expand
  83. Mar 1, 2014
    As of this moment, Thief is an unplayable mess. Even on lowest settings, it stutters frequently, for no apparent reason and the frame rate is appallingly low. I barely went through the tutorial mission with all the stuttering. The graphics is candy, but the expressions seem very unconvincing and lifeless. The gameplay is rigid and constricting and even on master difficulty you'll stillAs of this moment, Thief is an unplayable mess. Even on lowest settings, it stutters frequently, for no apparent reason and the frame rate is appallingly low. I barely went through the tutorial mission with all the stuttering. The graphics is candy, but the expressions seem very unconvincing and lifeless. The gameplay is rigid and constricting and even on master difficulty you'll still feel spoon-fed, since everything is marked out for you. Almost every moment in this game made me feel like i was bottle-necked into a decision that someone else thought i should make. Its like watching the game play itself. Im not even comparing the earlier games to this, because it fails well on its own. Development difficulties aside, this is a shameful release for a developer such as Eidos, because it seems they willfully strayed away from a tried and true formula for success just to create a bastard child of a game, unworthy of the name it's branded with, be it a reboot or not. Expand
  84. Mar 1, 2014
    This is not the game that I think we all expected. it is a very linear game with few memorable moments and not really worth your money unless you are a diehard fan of stealth games, even then it will be a chore getting through this game. it is dishonored just without the cool flashy abillities
  85. Mar 25, 2014
    People love the Thief series. However, it doesn't seem like the developers are.

To the people who are giving this game positive reviews: The AI alone makes this game a 5. The game is basically a crappier version of Dishonored, which in itself is a crappier version of the original Thief games. The best thing about Thief is how poorly received it is; it goes to show that no matter how
    People love the Thief series. However, it doesn't seem like the developers are.

The best thing about Thief is how poorly received it is; it goes to show that no matter how big your publisher is, how much you advertise on Gamespot, an inferior game does not (always) get rewarded.

Do not buy.
  86. Feb 26, 2014
    EIDOS has made some of the greatest games in history. This is not one of them. Just unimaginative, uninspired, and unplayable. The AI is idiotic. The story is linear. The game is more about cut scenes than free roaming thievery. Climbing is too limited. And my frame rate is horrible. Unreal Engine 3 games purr on my rig. But not this one.

One point in EIDOS' favor: the 3D (stereoscopic)

One point in EIDOS' favor: the 3D (stereoscopic) is perfect. Just like in the Batmans and Tomb Raider (which are stellar titles, btw).
    Do yourselves a favor and download "The Dark Mod", a standalone free mod of the original Thief. Stay clear of this game. Even if they fix the rendering problems, the game isn't worth your time and definitely not worth your money.
  87. Mar 1, 2014
    I don't like ghosts games, physiologic terror and frightening music and creepy characters in my adventure game. I don't think it is funny and I can't relax playing a game that keeps frightening me. Eidos should take in consideration this kind of thing when mixing genres. I'm at chapter 5 and I'm hating it. I don't think I will keep playing the game and that annoys me the most! The otherI don't like ghosts games, physiologic terror and frightening music and creepy characters in my adventure game. I don't think it is funny and I can't relax playing a game that keeps frightening me. Eidos should take in consideration this kind of thing when mixing genres. I'm at chapter 5 and I'm hating it. I don't think I will keep playing the game and that annoys me the most! The other people already provided the full analysis on how stupid the IA is or how crappy the game is, but the terror part is, for me, the worse! Expand
  88. Mar 1, 2014
    Every, almost every element in this game is so poorly designed.
    I'm not gonna talk about details because people and reviews have explained almost everything. I knew that they are gonna make bad Thief, but not this much!?

To their senior producer Stephane Roy; dude this job is not for you!
  89. Feb 28, 2014
    Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attemptingDisclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.

- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
    - Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
    - Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
    - AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
    - Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
    - Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
    - Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
    - Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
    - Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
    - Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.

More words:
    - Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
    - You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
    - Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
    - There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
  90. Feb 27, 2014
    - poor level design
    - poor AI
    - cliché story
    - dubstep (I **** you not)
    This game is a mockery of its predecessors.
    This game is only "Thief" in name.
    Do not buy it.
  91. Mar 21, 2014
    The Erin Show... For a while I thought this game was incredible. Garrett's back, the atmosphere is fantastic, the gameplay is good... But there was always this 800 pound gorilla in the room... Or rather, a 120 pound emo skank that ruins the experience. Now, I understand we're supposed to be all PC and everything, and I have nothing against a female in a leading role, but the way they'veThe Erin Show... For a while I thought this game was incredible. Garrett's back, the atmosphere is fantastic, the gameplay is good... But there was always this 800 pound gorilla in the room... Or rather, a 120 pound emo skank that ruins the experience. Now, I understand we're supposed to be all PC and everything, and I have nothing against a female in a leading role, but the way they've done it in this reboot is just awful. Erin is not likeable the way Victoria was. She has no redeeming qualities, and to make it worse, the entire story revolves around HER... I found on a second and a third play through that she became more irritating with each encounter until the only thing I could associate this game with was the whiney mass murdering flake that insults Garrett in the opening scene, and clumsily taints this otherwise interesting adventure. Don't read on if you don't want to see spoilers, but seriously, the whole freaking game is about Erin. Erin's mad because Garrett wouldn't let her kill people with impunity, like an assassin's creed fan girl. Erin fell into the all powerful Primal magic! Erin went crazy so let's spend a long time in a haunted asylum where she was imprisoned, but oh, it's only haunted because of ERIN and her ERIN powers... Did this game really have to focus on this one stupid character so much? Basso's awesome and Garrett is as well, but all of that is ruined because there's no way Garrett would EVER work with someone like her. It's too amateur for him, and nauseating for me. I won't say how the game ends, but let me give you a hint... It has something to do with... Erin... And it's all about Erin.

Thanks Square Enix for putting the stake through Garrett's heart. I had hopes that his story would continue, but after this, you know it's over. And to make it even worse... This Garrett isn't the real Garrett. Old Garrett, according to this ridiculous story, died in an asylum a long time ago. So here in this game we just randomly have a new master thief named Garrett with a female student, and an old time friend named Basso... Guys, if you wanted to start over with a new character, you should have just done it and manned up to it. But oh that's right, you needed to hoodwink old thief fans into buying this cop out at the same time. I forgot.
  92. Feb 28, 2014
    Stealth, if when you enter a room there's nobody there to hear your footstep, whats the point. You can just barge right in, 99% of the time there is nobody there. So, no threat, no danger, no challenge, no fun.
    Also you can see other door in those area but no action can be done there, the only thing you can do is take the utensil and get out.
    Combat if you are noticed by the guard or

Combat if you are noticed by the guard or bounty hunter run or reload last save, taking on multiple enemy is too difficult, because of the pour combat mechanic. The bow shoot like a firearm straight no curve trajectory like it should be realistically.

Story, Mission and the Map of the city all together is a real mess that make no sense at all. Frequent loading time, confusing how did I get here moment. Its a real pain to go from point A to point B.

Conclusion there not that much good to say about this game. If the people that worked on this game had had half the conviction as they do now on Metacritic, trying to salvage the sell of this new release. Maybe there would be a decent fourth instalment of the Thief franchise to enjoy. After one day of playing and realized there was no point, that it was not going to get better. I returned it back to the store and I got $30 with the trade in program, soon you wont even get $5 for this.

Keep padding yourself on the back, Eidos
    Good work, you made the worst game that I ever played!
  93. Feb 28, 2014
    This is not a thief, stop defiling established universes! The game is done qualitatively, but in such a way - who needs it? Developer interested in all the primary source? He knew what the universe is so appreciated Thief?
  94. Feb 28, 2014
    This definitely fall short of my expectation, I'm a big fan of "Thief- Deadly shadow" so I was expecting a great game. So many flaws, its like they didn't even care. They know "no refund on video game" Im more mad they let those idiot screwup with the Thief franchise. Than the fact they deliberately stole my $60 the honest price for this game should be no more than 15$.

Game developer

Game developer or people who want this tittle to sell will give a high ranking on here, but honesty don't waist your money on this junk, they don't deserve it.
  95. Feb 28, 2014
    This game is a shadow of the glory that once was thief.

Its not a "bad" game in the sense that its not entirely broken or you cannot have some fun with it but its a huge letdown of a franchise that deserves so much better than this reboot The worst is perhaps the downright horrible plot, the voice acting, and the characters that really ruins the experience. I would not recommend
    This game is a shadow of the glory that once was thief.

I would not recommend this game to everyone for this price.

You want to spend 50£ on a high quality Stealth game you buy dishonoured

You want to spend 10$ on a high quality stealth game you buy Thief:Deadly shadows

Thief is a bland game that's should have been given to better developers so it could stand the test of time.
  96. Feb 27, 2014
    I am semi disappointed, 30 hours of gameplay so far, and I would much rather have saved my money. The story is bland I lost interest after the first mission, which was pretty kick ass.

I started exploring the city and jumping in houses, the reward was usually a gold coin and a brooch or candlestick. NONE OF THESE ROOMS WERE OCCUPIED! creating a 'challenge' of press SQ button to open the same cabinet, desk, safe, and night stand as the last room. Lockpicking requires no skill, once you get the hang of it you're set, your lockpick does not break. A few missions I tried ran approximately 2 minutes, that includes running down the same path you've previously been, jumping in a room the size of a kitchen, and opening the cupboard to retrieve your loot, possible ambush? nope you're fine, nobody is ever home.... good thing you extinguished all the candles. This bothered me the most about the game.

Your stealth skills are put to the test on the ground level with the city watch, which isn't very challenging to begin with. Quite decent sneaking action on a few levels, this is the Thief I've cherished way back in the day. +1 here

Cutscenes are the same exact thing - you take someone down, pass through a window, steal loot, knockout a guard, ect.. its all the same cutscene per action, not a huge problem but I guess I'll deal with it.

Graphics are alright, even though the environment is solid and most objects can't be broken. The AI toons have the IQ of a potato, its fun to shoot an arrow in their head and run, but once they are all dead you can come out and explore unharmed.

Thief feels like a flashback to 2000, it is a much fancier version of deadly shadows, I would highly suggest waiting for the price to drop, I wouldn't pay more than $25 for this game.
  97. Feb 28, 2014
    Thief : Master of NONE.

Thief : Master of NONE.

Thief is a disaster the likes of which we could not fathom. There is no easy way to say it; we just did not think the game would be this bad. So we must ask: how did this happen? Is the game’s five years in development, with multiple restarts and lead creative churn, the key factor here? Is Eidos Montreal misguided in its attempt to focus on narrative when Thief’s story is this flimsy? Has the developer’s attempt to cater to as many players as possible resulted in mechanics that work against the core experience of the series? Does the developer possess a completely different concept of immersion to us – theirs one of regular cutscenes, full animation and high detail visuals, and ours the more abstract sense of place that arises from the creation of whole and consistent locations? Does Eidos Montreal simply not understand what made the original Thief trilogy the masterpieces that they are?
  98. Feb 28, 2014
    Question: Whoa....how BAD is this game? Answer: How do I get a refund for a digital download? switch(category){ category 1: If you played Thief (originals) on PC and "enjoyed" them AND you are over 18y/o, you will probably not find the game enjoyable.

category 2: If you have an xbox and are 8-11y/o you might enjoy this, if your mom buys this for you. category 3: If you enjoy

category 2:

category 3:

If you enjoy "swooping" (are you serious?) and "running through" (do me a favour) an interactive, but super-linear, pile of junk-trash, then you might enjoy this, also.
    }
    Just sayin'.

Very surprised by the heroic scores of "critic" reviews. Do not be blinded by the 10/10 or 90% scores...one imagines there are incentives for those people posting such reviews and scores.

Since the dawn of time, mankind has struggled with difficult philosophical questions such as, "how did the universe begin?" and "is there a God?". Add to that list "how was this piece of amateur-code allowed to be part of the Thief franchise?"

It shall remain unknowable.

I am attempting to get a refund - that was no joke. I am a real human reviewer/gamer who played the original thief classic titles on PC.
  99. Feb 27, 2014
    What a shame, another game has been spoiled!

I was never fan of the series, but in previous games there was an atmosphere, difficulty, mystery, some real stealth. And Thief 4 doesn't have anything worth looking at, doing with and thinking of. Game has "2010s standard graphics", and there is nothing special about style, artistic approach, anything else is just a mix of cliches,
    What a shame, another game has been spoiled!

Game has "2010s standard graphics", and there is nothing special about style, artistic approach, anything else is just a mix of cliches, another cliches, and bad ideas.

It is anything but an interesting game to play.
  100. Feb 28, 2014
    Ok, the game is not bad, it has a few cool things, it brings a lot of old good stuff. but it have at least 2 things i hate:

1º Rope arrows only on pre-scripted places (with QTE), instead that on all wooden surfaces like on THIEF 2 2º cant jump .........., yes on 2013 someone release an FPS game in which the player character CANT JUMP! we are the master thief but we cant jump,

2º cant jump .........., yes on 2013 someone release an FPS game in which the player character CANT JUMP! we are the master thief but we cant jump, ........

Thats DUMB and IDIOTIC, i was waiting this game a lot but these mistakes are too stupid, and so ill be hard on it, add the jump ability and ill probably review it better.

1. May 11, 2014
    Not the best brand relaunch ever, but forgetting the great predecessors, it's a decent game of its own. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 9, 2014
    It may not be a traditional Thief game and the story may be awful but there's still some great stealth to be had. [May 2014, p.66]
    This new Thief does a lot things right but can still be rather clumsy at times. Definitely worth trying, though. [Issue #240]