4.7

1. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    This is not a game and whatever this is supposed to be I must admit I didn't find it very artsy neither.
    The story is confusing (what's with the wedding scene?) and the graphics are not so interesting.
    I don't regret the money I spent for this (less than 2€ on Steam) but I surely regret those 20 minutes I spent running it.
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    I recommend it for the adventurous type, but only at a dollar or something. There are other games for puzzles and platforming. This one is about walking through a carefully crafted short story, and it's very entertaining because the story is crammed into the short form. I think the developer took a lot of time decorating the different rooms and figuring out how to show the story in an attractive fashion. I don't get the fullest out of the story because there's a lot between the lines (the bird theme that is reflected in the title) and the title crashed at the end so I had to watch the last minute on Youtube. Still, recommended for a dollar or maybe two. If you're that kind of person. Expand
  3. Dec 2, 2013
    If you like surreal, artsy short films you'll probably love Thirty Flights of Loving. It challenges what we perceive to be a game but unfortunately I cannot consider this as one. I want a game to be something that is thought-provoking and fun to play and if it can't be thought-provoking, a game that's simply fun would suffice. I didn't have much fun playing Thirty Flights of Loving and it was all over in a matter of minutes so I can't say I was too impressed. Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a first-person interactive story. The story's incredibly short, and can be experienced in about 15 minutes. The story itself is told in short, disconnected segments requiring you to fill in the blanks yourself.

30 Flights is definitely an arthouse game. It has an interesting approach to interactive storytelling that may be worth seeing, but unfortunately, the
    story it tells is unremarkable. From what I could tell, there just isn't much substance there. What's much more interesting is playing with the developer's commentary on, so you can see some of the thought that went behind the experience.

The game's prequel is also included, and while it's a longer game with more gameplay elements, it's designed clumsily, and you might be left with no idea where to go.

This game has a very niche audience, and to them, this game will be worth far more than the asking price. It wasn't for me, though, and I get the feeling that it's not for most people, especially because the price doesn't pay for much content. It's worth experiencing if you have a few extra minutes, but I wouldn't pay over a dollar for this. If this looks interesting to you, I'd recommend checking out The Stanley Parable instead.
  5. Apr 16, 2014
    TFOL seems to be a very controversial game when it comes to reviews, as it's a very "iffy" game, if you can even call it a game. I would call TFOL an experimentation, a prototype; a look into how storytelling can be changed. Saying that, I understand what Blendo was going for, they were attempting something new and trying to tell a story in under 20 minutes, but honestly it just didn't work. Maybe if they did something different this technique could've worked but it's just not polished enough and it feels broken or incomplete. There's even a couple random scenes that have nothing to do with the story they're trying to tell, like why do I need to know how wings work? I learned that in highschool and I didn't care then either. I just feel it's irrelevant and was simply to add a couple minutes more to the game so people can't say that it's less than 20 minutes (took me 24 minutes to complete both games (Gravity Bone and TFOL)).

What I'm getting at here is if a developer wants to make a unique game, or an artsy game, throwing a couple stylized 3D models together in a few random consecutive scenes is not the way to do it. I love art indie games, I'm almost ashamed to say it since so many people hate them, but I like the art subgenre game that's been somewhat popular in the past few years (I loved Dear Esther). But TFOL doesn't do it right, and that's why I'm giving it such a low grade. I don't understand how the critics can rate it so high, call this what you will, but I think there's a small possibility that the critics were paid off, and some users jumped into the critic bandwagon (which happens pretty often around controversial games) and gave TFOL high scores to show that they weren't "too stupid to figure out the story." I understand the story, and I still think TFOL is a bad game. While playing it I could sense a fresh breath of air hiding under the badly put-together game, but until that refreshing feel surfaces, TFOL remains a complete mess. Hey, at least Blendo didn't make the character walk really slow to extend the length of the game.

In short, these could be some reasons this game is rated so high:
    •Critics paid off, users jump in bandwagon
    •People want to pretend they understand it, even if there's nothing to understand
    •Purchasers can't face the fact they got ripped off, trick themselves into thinking it's good
    •Developer needed some cash and had an incomplete prototype laying around
    •Definitely not because the game is good
  6. Dec 3, 2012
    The main gripe is fairly accurate, $5 for 10 minutes of entertainment is pushing it. But, if you are a fan of Dear Esther, Home, The Path, Fatale and similar, this one is up there in newness and difference. A narrative that has some lovely moments, but alas requiring little interaction by you except to push things along. Enjoy the 10 minutes and think, odd but amusing.
  7. Nov 26, 2012
    The pure, unfiltered weirdness of this "game" made me think of something a lonely 14-year-old modder might create out of boredom and I was annoyed by every second of the 15 minutes required to fully experience it. And yet there's no denying that it was a memorable experience. It doesn't really work as a game but I keep thinking that Chung might actually be a visionary who still hasn't found the right way to realize his ideas. Who knows what he'll surprise us with in a few years? Expand
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    Eh....Ok. You basically walk through an artsy story that doesn't make much sense and which leaves a lot up to interpretation. The story was not interesting or compelling to me. It also takes less than 20 minutes to complete this "game." I feel compelled to be especially harsh here, because critics have given so much praise to Thirty Flights of Loving, when I couldn't really recommend that anyone should buy this. So, you have been warned. Expand
  9. Jul 20, 2013
    I played through this 3 times trying to piece together what the hell happened. That's part of the intrigue of the game though. It's open to interpretation and everyone will come away with a different understanding of the events. The gameplay itself is pretty dull, but the random jumps in time keep things interesting. The game also includes a free copy of Gravity Bone which is more fun since it's more interactive. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    This experimental title tells a short story in a unique way, similar to that of Dear Esther and The Path. Unlike the other games I mentioned, Thirty Flights of Loving is annoying to play, triggers no emotion and features no attempt to immerse the player. It is true that this game is as long as it should be, but only in the fact of telling a story. The game has plenty of pointless "gameplay" elements, annoying sound effects and confusing mechanics. The title goes for 10 minutes, for a 5 dollar "game" it is a pretty damn big rip off. 10 minutes of confusion, 0 gameplay, linear progression, pointless features and no player impact of the story begs the question of why the player was given the controls in the first place. The new scene of art inside gaming is an interesting and for the most part a good thing, but Thirty Flights of Loving takes this scene to beyond ridiculous. The whole title is basically a waste, the story told in the "game" can be told a hundred times better on paper, or in a cartoon. The whole experience of this game can be summed up in confusion, and when the end credits smack you in the face after 10 minutes, you can't help feel like you have been hypnotized, then mugged for your lunch money without realizing. Expand
  11. Mar 21, 2014
    It's impossible to explain this game at all without spoiling it, since it's only about 15 minutes long. That said, Thirty Flights of Loving helped me truly understand the idiom "read between the lines": Almost all the interesting bits happen off-screen. You are shown the bare minimum you need to figure out what happened. And you won't figure it out right away either. I had to play it twice and sleep on it before I crafted the whole story in my mind, or at least my version of it.

Like all stories, this one would be boring if told incorrectly. Thankfully, it is not.
  12. Oct 23, 2013
    [Thirty Flights of Loving Steam PC Score 9]
    A five minute Quentin Tarantino game movie an interactive movie trailer between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; Yeah no sh*t five minutes only. Do you make games you figure out how to fit this into a game as an interlude hilarious and intense potential. Check this out (2bucks/steam)
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Had I paid more than $2.50, I might have been frustrated by the ridiculously small amount of content in this game and I'm pretty sure there isn't even $2.50 worth based on the quantity or the "quality" of the graphics. When I read the reviews before buying it, I thought the claims of 5-15 minutes of gameplay were the usual reviewer exaggerations, but the game is really that short! Double it because it comes with its equally short prequel, Gravity Bone. Yet, for all its brevity and infantile graphics, there's something to this game: little twists in the plot that you don't see coming and a storytelling style that feels a bit like a 1960s psychological drama. As the extremely skewed reviews show, this isn't a game for everyone. You have to come at it like a wine tasting. Sure you pay too much for a small glass, but you get a taste of something you don't get every day. If you're an aficionado of the subtle things that go into a game and not just playing the games, you'll probably get something out of it. If you're looking for a game for the sake of playing it and you want a bang for your buck, you need to look elsewhere. Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2013
    What the hell was that ? It's not a game at all and i don't understand why peoples loves this and how it manages to makes money. I think this is the worst thing i played ever. Save yourself some money and go see a walkthrough on youtube, it's as interactive as the full game.
  15. Mar 8, 2014
    I ended up enjoying it, but i can't recommend Thirty Flights of Loving, unless you carefully read about it and knows exactly what you'll get or experience. Then you can find it cool, just after you understand what it is.

My first experience was disappointing.
    Being someone who usually enjoy art games or interactive experiences, i start it thinking about a cool, deep story-driven game,
    but i found me just watching disordered short scenes of a shallow and confusing story, instead of really playing something. It ended really fast, abruptly and letting me with a "wtf?!" in mind. The graphics, lights, colors and music are really cool, but it was not enough to make me enjoy.

Then i try it again a few days later.
    Knowing what to expect, the experience was far better, and i used to enjoy it and understand it. Using the commentaries feature, i found it was a developer experience, something really personal using his experiences on gaming design and pieces he previously wanted to use in other ways.

I don't read all the comments yet, and i still having to play better the Gravity Bone bonus, who seems to have more gameplay elements, but if you're ok with all that i said before, i can recommend this experience to you, it worth your time. But i'll not recommend to everybody, mostly without that explanation about what i feel in my first contact with it.
  16. Jan 6, 2013
    So long as you go in with the knowledge that this is a first-person short story, you'll enjoy it. The game is only 15 minutes long at most, but I believe that for that time the story is more enjoyable than many much longer games. The prequel, Gravity Bone is free so I recommend playing that first to decide whether you should spend your money on this one. Both games are Blendo Games triumphs and I look forward to more like this from the developer. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2013
    Make sure you play the prequel to this game, Gravity Bone. It's free on the developer's site. Not hard to find if you search for it. As for this game, it's brilliant. It's more of a digital story and it's very well executed. The story is constantly progressing, and it only tells you enough info that you need to know. It leaves the audience enough room to use their imagination to fill in the blanks on the details of the story. WARNING! It took me 11 minutes to go through this! You have been warned! So it's hard for me to recommend this game since you're paying $5 for about 10 minutes. It's great, but hard to recommend people to pay money for it. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2012
    Yes, the praise reviews are giving this game is accurate. It's a carefully made, non-linear story played through in disjointed pieces. It's usually all played through in one session. It's clever and charming. Frankly, however, the now free-to-download Gravity Bone was more engaging, and free. Try Gravity Bone, and if you LOVE it, buy this game expecting the same experience with a little more story and a little less game. Otherwise, and I'm on this side, it's not worth the $5 for the 10 minutes it offers, regardless of how funny and creative this game really is. Just watch a let's play and you'll get the exact same experience. Expand
  19. Dec 28, 2012
    This is a neat tech demo, as it would be a very good way to tell a story... but the story given is not complete. There's only half a story (and not a good one at then), then it ends after literally 15 minutes.

I would recommend this if it were free (not as good as Stanley Parable, but still cool), but my god do not pay money for this.
  20. Dec 27, 2012
    There are no dialogues, the story is out of order and it has no gameplay elements. Thirty Flights of Loving was clearly made with the purpose of making the player think of all that he sees and does in the game - and it's very competent at that, as long as the player is willing to slow down the pace and try to connect to the story and the characters. There's a great deal of art and creativity to the environments and interactions the player can make, and the music/sound itself is brilliant. The story itself is only as good as the player's imagination - if you're not a creative person, you'll definitely not enjoy this game as much as I did. Unfortunately, the game crashed to the desktop about 4 times in 2 playthroughs - that's not nice. Also, although it's evident that a lot of effort was put into it, and even though it's a unique and clever experience, I don't see this game being worth $5. So, I give it an 8/10, it seems like a fair score. Expand
  21. Mar 16, 2013
    This is not a game. If you're looking for anything approaching gameplay, go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Go watch someone play it on YouTube. It'll be the same experience, but you'll still have your money.
  22. Apr 6, 2013
    There is such little game-play besides moving and occasionally pressing E. I've played point and clicks games at least most try to put in puzzles. This is a game that was better served being a animation on YouTube. Torrent, watch a YouTube video, or play it if a friend has it don't waste money on this.
  23. Sep 25, 2012
    Ok, the game is... hmmm... truly "special", here's what I want to say to its creators: 1) What the f**k was that?
    2) Do you consider this art or what?
    3) Oh, you even charge money for that?
    4) Shame on you, "game" creators!
  24. Nov 30, 2012
    It's very indie, but there is something about Thirty Flights of Loving that I love. I'm not sure exactly what it is, to be honest. Maybe, the simple fact that so much work is put into 30 minutes of gameplay? Maybe, the livelihood of the worlds they create? Maybe, the "You wake up and see yourself sleeping" type stories? I'm not sure, but I think everyone can find something to love in this game.
  25. Sep 23, 2012
    It tells a tale so well that it can make you feel in just 30 minutes. The user review section is proving to be just as useless as any other. Please play this game knowing that it is a defiant anti-game that won't give you any great game play. It is here just to show what amazing things can be done with story telling in a first person game. It shows that games shouldn't always be about the grind but should be gripping and something to have a conversation about. Don't play looking for something easy. Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    In several minutes the game had ended but i knew all of the story. Sure the game is very short but its worth it if you have cash in your pockets.
  27. Sep 6, 2012
    I feel somewhat conflicted every time I think back to my experience with this title. Engaging and intriguing, Thirty Flights of Loving is a bite sized dose of methodically and expertly crafted narrative. You'll be confused and disappointed, but also transfixed with the puzzle of riddling out what truly happened on your fifteen minute journey. Were this game free or less ridiculously priced I would give it an eight and be on my way, but such a high tag for such little 'game' cannot be ignored. Give it a go if experimental narratives fill you with glee, but seriously consider the price for value ratio if the previous statement does not apply to you. Expand
  28. May 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this little roller coaster ride of a journey and it had some real high points, however I went in with high expectations based on the acclaim it had received and found the whole experience a bit lacking. There''s some beautiful moments and some really smart storytelling but it was so brief and slight an experience I'm not sure I really got a lot out of it sadly.
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    The high scores and the low scores are probably divided by the people getting the story and the people who don't get the story. I didn't follow what the story was about. Story telling isn't about graphics but this was too less emphasize on graphics for me.
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    The developer knew the game was going to get bashed on, this game has a very interesting take on transitioning in games, infact I wish more games took this approach. Rather than having a consistent player space where content can indefinitely be admired, the player is trusted threw the narrative with no indication when a transition will happen; creating an interesting flow of player driven direction. Many subtleties will leave your face left with a smile during the developers commentary.

This game is overlooked, and very short, but that's the point. The developer knew that many players would bash the game while leaving a very passionate niche. The game doesn't waste your time with it's very short completion time, and leaves room for re-playability with it's mind-boggling transitions and subtitles. I hope the developer doesn't read this because I haven't played it enough to completely wrap my mind around the game, but there is much to be desired.

Thirty Flights of Loving is worth your time and money if you have the ability to differentiate video games from interactive media.
  31. Dec 27, 2012
    This game is beyond awful. I can't believe I paid money for this. No amount of "art game" talk can cover up the fact that this isn't in any way interesting to "play" or interact with. It also crashes often.
  32. Nov 3, 2012
    This is more a lightly interactive short film than a game. It's packed with fun ideas, it's relatively well executed, and there's nothing else like it. But it's also very, very brief, and not quite as clever or essential as the critics have made it out to be.

It's not really worth £4, but neither is a pint of beer in Central London.
  33. Nov 10, 2013
    An interactive story that is whimsical, hyperactive, and over in about 15 minutes. The visuals are a step up from Blendo's free Gravity Bone, but the style, "gameplay", and storytelling haven't changed much. Lots of style and silliness without much depth. It's a $2 game that a small team has put a lot of time into though, so it's tough to complain... for me anyway. Don't go into it expecting much, and chances are you'll be entertained to a degree. Expand
  34. Jul 16, 2013
    The 88 metascore is very misleading. I would not consider this even a game. It is a small interactive story that has nearly 0 things to interact with. The game takes around 10 minutes to finish.

If you want to PLAY a game then avoid this demo. If you want to feel artistic and look at the blocky characters while wondering what is the meaning of live and how Reservoir Dogs is the best
    movie ever then this is the right kind of entertainment for you. Expand
  35. Nov 27, 2013
    I don't get this game. It is so weird and random (Not in a good way). The gameplay is none. The only thing you do is move. THAT'S IT! The game is really bad, stupid and it just doesn't make any sense.
  36. Jan 12, 2013
    The first one "Gravity Bone" was much much better. The commentary was nice but my second play through crashed near the end. I do not think I will attempt to play it again.
  37. Jan 21, 2013
    I am at a loss describing why this isn't free. There is nothing about this that evokes game and even as a story it's not interesting... Check the user ratings compared to critics. This is as pretentious as it gets
  38. Jan 28, 2014
    If this so called game had been honest about what it was I wouldn't have to give it such a terribly low score. But the simple fact is that it promised me a unique game, yet after I had handed over my money it turned out to be a short, uninteresting, completely linear story about some heist or something. I honestly can't even remember, that's how great it was. It is more like an interactive short story than a game, but not in a good way. Interactive only means you make you character walk somewhere with your keyboard sometimes, and sometimes you click something with your mouse. You don't do these things because you want to, or because you have the option to, you do them because you must.

There is no depth to the characters, no incentive to continue other than wanting to get this the hell over with, there's no voice-acting, no text, nothing. The developers made the characters moan from time to time, that's it. All of this no doubt in an attempt to come of as "artsy".

For me, that pretty much sums up this game: arty-farty for the sake of being arty-farty. At the end of the game you get to walk around in a museum of sorts, where the devs display all the assets and explain about the creation of the game. Like you would do with something that actually deserves that extra attention. This piece of software doesn't. It feels more like a high-school project for Game Design 101 than anything else. Only thing good about it is that it is over quick.

You know what all these "professional" critics with their high scores remind me of? They remind me of people who know nothing about art, but who, when they are confronted with some questionable modern work of art which they know nothing about, frown, stroke their chin, swirl their wine, and say something like: "I really like the depth and the balance of colors", or some vague stuff like that, just to make it seem like they know what the hell is going on. They don't because there is, quite simply, nothing going on at all. Same with these critics who don't know what this game is supposed to be. "I clearly don't understand this **** but I'll give it an 8 anyway because it seems "arty" and I want to seem cultured, and I don't want to admit that I have no clue what's going on."

There's a difference between art and arty-farty, my friends. Art MOVES you. The only movement this game creates is me walking away from my pc.

1 point for simply existing, that's an achievement...I guess.

39. Dec 26, 2012
    Great story, superb presentation, memorable music, and the inclusion of Gravity Bone: this is an incredible experience that was well worth my $4 several times over. The Citizen Abel series continues to prosper with this extraordinary title, especially considering that it was built on the QUAKE2 engine, given that nobody has even touched it in years. To the average gamer, there may not be much to see here, but to pass up a title such as this would be a mistake, for I have never seen something so refreshingly different in a while, being that the only other time was when its predecessor, Gravity Bone, came into existence. In short, the Indie genre triumphs once again. Expand
  40. Jan 20, 2013
    As an artist I can understand people using 'games' as a form of artistic expression and what not but this was pushing it. In short, it is a 5 minute walk through scene. I would not even call it a game and to me it felt like they created an intro with end credits but forgot to add in the middle part. I've played 'artistic' games like Dear Esther and The Path both of which played like the creators put a lot of thought and effort into an over all nice experience that made you really think about what was going on while leaving it's impression on you. However with this....'game' i walked up to the 'The end' block and seriously thought they were joking. The only impression I got left with here was complete disappointment.

the short scene it's self is rather nice but had it been really drawn out more over maybe a good hour or two, i would have been able to appreciate it more. There were games made in the 48 hour game festival more captivating and content full then this. I don't honestly believe this took more then a week to make.

Oh and the whole 'it's indie and cheap' thing does not excuse this. Just because it's an indie game doesn't mean they can make any crap they want and it's 'ok because it's indie.' I'm sorry but i am just too disappointed to be susceptible to this incredibly short story...
  41. Oct 6, 2012
    This is an interactive story. Not much of a game but it tells a story in an interesting way. Whilst I would recommend a play through I'm not sure it's with £3.99. Although if you have played any of the other Blendo Games' games, several of which are still freely available on their website, then it's easier to justify the big outlay for such a short game.
  42. Mar 29, 2013
    I think the expectations of many people on this were a little askew; I knew what I was getting into, that it only had 15 minutes of playtime and was rather a short story via the medium of a video game. And thus I was not disappointed, it was an interesting story where dream and reality meshed up, a story was told but in an unconventional way, with strong pictures and without many words.

Agreed, this is not really a game. This is a short story. Or their equivalent in video games.

- Cazy
  43. Apr 16, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is not a game in the traditional sense, and is certainly not for everyone. Your five dollars will net you a fifteen minute experiment in storytelling nothing more, nothing less. The game absolutely accomplishes what it set out to do, and successfully manages to tell an involving story (well, as involving as you can get in a little over ten minutes) with no dialogue or character text. A separate playthrough with developer commentary which I found very interesting is also included, which provides insight into the development process and what the developer intended to achieve with certain inclusions. All in all, if you're interested in the advancement of storytelling in video games, I wholeheartedly recommend this game. If you're looking for anything else, steer clear. Expand
  44. Jan 12, 2013
    While this isn't for everyone, I found TFOL very enjoyable. It was short, but that wasn't really a bad thing, since you have to play it several times to really get what is going on, plus there is a developer's commentary. The story isn't presented chronologically, and it leaves parts out, leaving you to guess at what happened. There are clues left in the game, but much of it is left to guesswork. Working out what happened is the fun part, and what really makes it enjoyable.
    If you're still deciding if you want to get this or not, go play Gravity Bone, which is the free prequel. If you enjoy that, you might enjoy TFOL too.
  45. Jan 13, 2013
    This game is not for everybody, and don't feel bad if you're not on the target audience. It's not elitist; it's simply trying to show a few things. There is no challenge to overcome, nor anyway to actually lose (except by killing yourself). Its more like a first person "take a look on what we built". It will be entertaining for those thrilled by the visual art choices and people who love to look into details. The directors commentary can be a lesson for those interested in building narratives. For anybody interesed in "classic" video-games, that is, win-lose situations, avoid this by any and all costs. You will hate it. For those interested in little details and an interesting approach on how to set a narrative in games, its great. Expand
  46. Aug 7, 2014
    Not a game, pretensions as hell. The professional ratings only prove journalists want to seem intelligent by liking this ****. Theres no gameplay to speak off, and while there are a few interesting segments, the game is largely just filled with a bunch of ****

Might make for an interesting flash game thats >>>>>>>>>FREE
  47. May 23, 2013
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a game that, just like To the Moon and Kentucky Route Zero, proves how powerful the interactive medium of video games can be in telling a story. Played from a first-person view, there is virtually no traditional gameplay, aside from being able to interact with the environment and explore its nooks and crannies. The soundtrack and the sound design are great, as well as its graphical presentation. The blocky characters, the usage of color, and the varied environments all mesh together into a game that looks quite unlike any other.

But yes, there is nothing the player really does in the game, at least, not in the traditional sense. The real reason to play this game is for its story and, more specifically, the way the game presents its story. By employing the mechanics of film editing and cutting freely between events and scenes without any sort of input from the player, Thirty Flights of Loving spins the classic yarn of a heist gone horribly wrong in a wholly unique way. Its non-linearity and hectic pace is a refreshing change from the banality of most video game narratives, and the player truly has to work in order to understand everything that's happening. While the game can be completed in fifteen minutes or so, the scope and depth of the story told is one that far exceeds its actual runtime. Multiple playthroughs are not only necessary but also inevitable.

Thirty Flights of Loving is certainly not for everyone. Many players have expressed outrage or frustration at the fact that the "game" isn't really much of one at all. Brendon Chung, the creator of the game, has himself described it as "an interactive short story". Ultimately, it does not matter. Thirty Filghts of Loving is a very important game, because it makes a legitimate attempt to tap into the vast potential for video games as a narrative medium. If that sounds at all interesting to you, go play Thirty Flights of Loving. It's an experience that you won't soon forget.
  48. Sep 6, 2012
    I find it hard to actually call this a game. It has point and click elements, but none of them are of any consequence or make any difference upon the outcome. Its essentially an art-house movie made of box-like characters. Its cute and has some sophistication, but it lasts 5 minutes and while you get the feeling of playing a game you are really just passing through a scene. I was at "the end" and restarted a few times, assuming I did something wrong. Its entertaining but should be free in my opinion. Expand
  49. Dec 4, 2012
    A flawless experience that needs no other comment, but metacritic reviews must be at least 150 characters long. This game understands brevity - metacritic doesn't.
  50. Nov 14, 2012
    I'm a proud supporter of indie games. I had some spare money lying around in my Steam wallet and I decided I'd take a gamble and get a couple games. I was not expecting to be "blown-away" by this game, but i was expecting it to be unique, interesting and fun. Most of all I was expecting to be able to enjoyably play it for at least a couple hours worth of time. How wrong and disappointed I was. The story lasts approximately 20 minutes and there is no replayability to it. What makes the medium of art and story telling that is known as "video games" is their ability to let the user interact with the game. The level of interaction introduced in this game is dreadful; Google Earth is more interactive and it's free. I not only spent more time at the beginning just tweaking the graphics, but in the end I also enjoyed setting up my graphics more than the actual game. If you are looking for a good indie game of some sort, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Go buy something like Machinarium or LIMBO. Expand
  51. Jan 20, 2013
    Only 15 minutes long. It's just a story, not a game. Avoid or you will be sorry. Most expensive game per minute I've ever bought. I want my GD money back, you will too.
  52. Nov 16, 2013
    This can hardly be called a game, I would not even dare calling it a demo, because also those are longer than this piece of Critic reviews must have been ordered and paid by someone, because a normal gamer just can't evaluate this "game" at more than 0 points. The only thing you can do is to walk and talk to characters. When you get to a point by walking, this sequence ends and you appear on a totally unrelated place, and walk again. This is repeated about 30 times (I did not count), and the game is over. If I knew that beforehand, I would throw the 2 into a bin instead of buying this that would be a better investment. Expand
  53. Nov 6, 2013
    Let me start by pointing out the difference in the user score the the critic score. It's dramatically different, isn't it? Well, there's a reason for it, which I will get back to.

I digress, I will have to join the side of the critics. This game is fantastic. The art style and overall graphics are beautiful and very well done. The story is great, but blink and you'll miss it. In terms
    of gameplay, it's basically walking, but the experience is so quick that it is almost -fun- to do it.

But here's my one minor gripe with the game, and the reason people were not happy with it.

It's short. Very, very, very, VERY short. On the first run, it takes about 15-20 minutes (I've beaten it in under 5). But that's what's so great about it. You play it once, and most people will try to get through the game to just beat it. But because it's so short, you go back and play it again, and see something you missed. And then you play it again, and there's a new detail. Sure, for 15 minutes, $5 is a bit high. But the experience is worth it. Is it perfect? No, of course not. But is it great? You're goddamn right it is.
  54. Dec 24, 2013
    I can't believe I brought this game, story isn't interesting at all. And to reviews saying it put a lot of love and details in the game clearly hasn't been playing it. More of a school project...

Play The Stanley Parable that is a good game with interesting narrative. Not this...
  55. Dec 2, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is a lovely, witty brief experiment in storytelling - that's it. Too short to call it a game, too fancy to whine about this fact. I do wish it was longer and thus more engaging, but still I don't blame Brandon Chung for making it short. Who knows, may be he is cooking up something bigger after all these fun experinments. Anyway, recommended.
    P.S. A lot of
    complaints about the price. If you judge game value by its length...well, poor you. Short length makes many games even more memorable (Dishonored is a great example). Expand
  56. Sep 12, 2012
    I'm a bit shocked by the high scores that critics gave this.. experiment. I will give the 'game' credit that its style is mildly charming and the story it was telling could have 'become' interesting. That is the end of my praise. It is so incredibly short that I can't believe they opted to charge money for it. I felt like someone had come in and stolen 5 dollars out of my pocket when the credits rolled. Also, for the very little time you're playing you have no impact on the story. It's a straight hallway where you can't even so much as walk 10 feet away from the predetermined paths.

I honestly question whether the 'experimental' part of this was the gameplay or seeing how little work they could put into a game and still get away with charging money for it.
  57. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the few times where the artsy game critics and people's voice differ greatly.
    I wouldn't recommend this game to a single friend. There's so much better out there. Not impressed at all.
  58. Dec 29, 2012
    This game will surprise you, break your expectations, and make you care for the story.
    You will be delivered an emotional impact as you'll review what you know, new angle at a time - during the first play through and throughout the replays (you will want to play it again), when you'll learn to notice the more subtle stuff and start puzzling it out.

It is fresh, fun, beautiful, thought
    provoking, and highly recommended by me. Expand
  59. Nov 6, 2012
    This is NOT a game, and I cannot believe the high Metascore which this has attracted. The MUCH lower user scores are very telling.
    This is a self-indulgent w**k-fest, full of "in jokes" which aren't funny - or even jokes - and nobody should even care about as this piece of software is generally very poorly-constructed and CRASHES FREQUENTLY!
    There's just no excuse... Using an engine
    which is over a DECADE old, I gained precisely no enjoyment from this dross and want my money back.
    Avoid, avoid, avoid.
  60. Nov 30, 2012
    Honestly. This "game" is nothing more than a cheap way for the producer to get money. It could've easily been made into a short cartoon and posted on youtube. In fact that would've been better. At least then I wouldn't have felt so cheated afterwords. The only people who seem to like this scam are the kind of people who stare at modern art and pretend like they understand what the artist was trying convey. Just watch a play through on youtube and save yourself the time and the money.. Expand
  61. Dec 25, 2012
    This game is a crazy jumble of nothing. Its construction is sh!tty, its plot is non-existent and its characters are flat. Nothing about the content of the game moves you to play on or to feel interested in any way. You are thrown into a scene and world that has no background other than a quick run-down of your companions skills through bold text and vague jump-cut scenes which depict moments before and after a heist. Nothing is explained to you, which may have been alright had they not chosen to skip around chronologically while also leaving out key points of the plot (i.e. the game is about a heist, but you never even see that occur or participate in it). But since they did, the viewer gets jerked around and has to make sense of mundane or confusing moments that have no dialogue or text for explication. So now you're playing through a second time, wondering if there's any point at all, but all you're finding is a completely non-interactive world with a mildly interesting art style. in fact, the mildly interesting art style is the only thing that earns this title a single point. The critics write reviews saying it's good that this game doesn't hold your hand or act like a normal game- well it's not. Why don't other games base themselves entirely on jump-cuts? Because they're not avant garde enough? No. They don't do that because making a game that way wouldn't make any sense and it would rob the game of it's story and details. That is exactly what happens with TFOL. Also, what does Thirty Flights of Loving mean? Is it referencing the fact that they own a plane? That the characters are in love? Who knows! It's just a non-sense title to go right along with a non-sense game. You go into TFOL wondering what kind of experience you will get because the trailer is well constructed and the art style looks interesting, but you leave confused and annoyed because the end comes too quickly and you're still wondering what the point was. This game is basically bad sex. The only reason I see this getting a good review is that there are a handful of people who thought it was good and everyone else is too embarrassed to look stupid disagreeing with those people because they're considered "professional" opinions. This feels like the era of shock art where "artists" upset their viewers and tell them that what they've seen and experienced is both good and art. Spoiler alert: It isn't. Save yourself a few dollars and go do something enjoyable. Or if you really want, you could also pay someone to slap you in the face- that is the equivalent of what you'll be doing in buying this game anyway, only you'll actually save some time just paying for the slap. Expand
  62. Dec 27, 2012
    Over rated. I think that best describes my experience with 30 flights of loving. It seems that you can throw anything radical at critics these days and they will have a proverbial orgy over it so they don't look unintelligent and I think the fear of looking stupid has contributed to this games undeservedly high meta critic score. if you're looking for a half hour experience you may have to repeat in order to fully understand, sure but don't expect any closure, there is a basic story that you will have to think about and look around for but nothing amazing honestly. Expand
  63. Dec 28, 2012
    Don't bother me with your "art game". Please, I love original games like journey, to the moon, Dear Esther etc. But this is not art. This is intellectual masturbation. 10 min of nothing, 5$ less for charity.
  64. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is a total fraud and I'd like slap some sense into the Metacritics for suckering me into purchasing this game. It's not even a game. In a game, you have some control over something somewhere somehow. This is a crappy flash movie where you press "W" instead of "Play". The story is totally cliche and boring. You keep waiting for the twist, the punchline, the epiphany, the revelation, and then BAM, "The End". What?!? 10 minutes does not a game make. Thirty Flights of Loving is a stain on the reputation of indie games. It should be called Ninety Megabytes of Nothing. Expand
  65. Mar 10, 2013
    This should be a free download. DON'T buy it. Those are 5$ totally thrown away.
    Critics should actually help gamers to choose which game to buy and this shouldn't have gone far than a "20" average vote.
  66. Mar 22, 2013
    Normally you should beware reviews of 0 and 10, because the reviewer has an agenda or is simply being childish in his extremity. This is the first game in 25 years of gaming that I truly thought deserved a 0, and it's because it isn't a game.

What you will find in most of the high reviews is a lot of vague, flowery language used to champion the storytelling and quality of plot. I
    thought it was like 21 grams: a boring, predictable story that would have been so obvious and boring if told sequentially that they had no choice but to try and faux-art it up. So I would caution you as a reader to always look for the actual points made and examine them for content, rather than form.

Here's an example. "It's a portal to one's own imagination, the only lock on which is the limit he would impose on his own dreams--let go of all expectations to find it so much more than it first seemed." I just described a door hot glued to a solid brick wall. Not only will if take effort to remove the door, but when you do, you're still faced with a brick wall, whose function is antithetical to that of a door.

When describing a game, your first concern should be gameplay. If it isn't, you're not a gamer. You can care about other things, like plot/character, quality of voice-acting, graphics, price, etc, but gameplay is the fundamental reason why an idea becomes a game and not a movie.

A blogger put it best (and I paraphrase) that it seemed like an attempt by someone who is confused by art and assumes that others are likewise confused, to reproduce that which confuses him. It's just a heist story with characters that don't even achieve one-dimensionality. The mountebanks that tell you otherwise are responding to their ill-informed gut instincts that the game is art, and as people are given to do, they oversell it as brilliant and groundbreaking in an attempt to somehow internalize those misperceived traits. These same mental gymnastics allow some to continue support of "Indoctrination Theory" in 2013.

It's a half-story told though asynchronous set pieces separated by jump cuts. It has a kind of Diabolik era look to it, but each set piece is simply walked (or run) through with the occasional static activation of an object. In the opening scene you can grab bottles of liquor, a gun and some ammo, but you will never use them.

As I approached what ultimately was the end, I thought it was a fun way to introduce elements of the back story before launching the actual gameplay. And then it was over, 10 minutes of absolutely nothing.

I considered calling Steam and requesting them to remove it from my account, but its presence serves as an albatross around my neck and reminds me to always do my research.

Dust off your copy of Out of This World if you're old like I am, or buy it from GOG if you still have your youth.

Thirty Flights bets on and is transcended by, emotion. It’s part of a newly-arrived scene (fronted by the beautiful Dear Esther from Chinese Room) that attempts to blur the lines between gaming and art. You are given the tools to live a story that was written for you. Whether it will win you or not, rests completely upon your actions. [October 2012]
  2. Jan 7, 2013
    Condensed into thirteen minutes of play, Thirty Flights of Loving is a really interesting story.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    Thirty Flights of Loving is as refreshing as it is alienating. The series of short scenes take you on a bizarre roller coaster ride, on which you unfortunately have little influence.