7.8

1. WillR.
    May 19, 2006
    The game is ok at best. Sure it looks great, but that is cool for so long. After awhile its the same dusty city and the same dumb bad guys. Friendly AI is awful, often getting themselves killed and not taking orders. The worst part is the save game system. Playing the same part of a level over and over again gets real old real fast. And with the game spawing bad guys if front of you, The game is ok at best. Sure it looks great, but that is cool for so long. After awhile its the same dusty city and the same dumb bad guys. Friendly AI is awful, often getting themselves killed and not taking orders. The worst part is the save game system. Playing the same part of a level over and over again gets real old real fast. And with the game spawing bad guys if front of you, there's no such thing as "area secured". Expand
  2. JonathanM.
    May 9, 2006
    When I read these official reviews I wonder why they end up giving such high scores! When you get down to it, the reviews say the single-player gameplay is severely impaired by the poor squad AI, and the multiplayer is so heavily bugged you can't play it! All that is left is the graphics and sound. I sure won't be buying any game just for the graphics and sound. Pity they When I read these official reviews I wonder why they end up giving such high scores! When you get down to it, the reviews say the single-player gameplay is severely impaired by the poor squad AI, and the multiplayer is so heavily bugged you can't play it! All that is left is the graphics and sound. I sure won't be buying any game just for the graphics and sound. Pity they didn't spend an additional year developing the gameplay engine and AI. Expand
  3. YermakirumY.
    Very good game.
  4. OlegT.
    Apr 24, 2007
    Challenging. But the bigger part of the challenege comes from the gruesome checkpoint system and imbecile AI. If it were not for the graphics, I'd give it less than 5 really.
  5. SamiR.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Great game, though needs some horsepower. The feeling of realism is great, but teammate and enemy AI is a bit clumsy... Despite the good realism the action is intense. One of the most beatiful FPS games. Only thing I miss in the city is civilians.
  6. RichC.
    Jul 1, 2006
    I'm tired of single player games that try to be multiplayer. I don't like to have to control a squad or teammates to be successful. I really thought it may be like the Ghost Recon's of yesteryear, but I was wrong. Ghraphics are awesome, but there's more to a game that what you look at.
  7. JamesC.
    Jul 5, 2006
    they amped the AI up a hell of alot since the 360 version (thank god), the realism is striking so if your not a realism buff then this isn't for you. but this is the best squad based shooter on the pc in years easily.
  8. MarkJones
    Nov 1, 2008
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is my favorite FPS game. It uses current technological standards in storyline and weapons. It's the first FPS since Rainbow Six 3 to really let me peek out and see everything while not exposing my torso. It's clear weapon customization menu is beautifully simple, while Its the only game to really allow me to customize my weapon and have theGhost Recon Advanced Warfighter is my favorite FPS game. It uses current technological standards in storyline and weapons. It's the first FPS since Rainbow Six 3 to really let me peek out and see everything while not exposing my torso. It's clear weapon customization menu is beautifully simple, while Its the only game to really allow me to customize my weapon and have the customizations impact my success it different environmental conditions. GRAW for some people will be hard, but for seasoned veterans of PC combat simulations, it will be the best FPS game ever made after third-party map and weapon modifications like OGN's weapons mod, and Brettzies M4 mod are installed. Expand
  9. YEGORM.
    Dec 23, 2006
    GRAW campaign (played at Hard): GRAW is the first REALLY worth tactical FPS as for me (oh, there were "Chrome" for years ago - but for different reasons). Thanx to it's breathetaking, almost realistic combat simulation, this game truely becomes an "Elite" - "not-for-all" gaming masterpiece. (If you prefer to play like Invulnerable Robocop - you are off) I agree - there are some GRAW campaign (played at Hard): GRAW is the first REALLY worth tactical FPS as for me (oh, there were "Chrome" for years ago - but for different reasons). Thanx to it's breathetaking, almost realistic combat simulation, this game truely becomes an "Elite" - "not-for-all" gaming masterpiece. (If you prefer to play like Invulnerable Robocop - you are off) I agree - there are some serious weak points: The saving system (but this will definitely teach you to be careful and raise the cost of your "life" - like the "real" war - the mistakes are very "expensive") Useless "friends" (I've always tried to save them at the spawnpoint and used simple "move" commands. Also, I've turned off the enemy rhombus marks - this feature somewhat like cheating for me (i want simulator - not the "conquistador vs indians" story... The bottomline: I would say, that it is not "you testing this game" - this time the "game testing you" as a "smart player" and professional or "disciplined" gamer (Your "system" have to meet this game's "requirements"). And I really enjoyed the test - "it's been emotional" and absorbing... As for Multi-player: I was dreamed about sinking into GRAW multi-player fields... I thought: "Finally I've found an alternative for CS:S (which is become "a new Quake styled action" - running-jumping-shooting!..." Anticipated, I've downloaded and installed official patch (it was mp_map_pack_1.6)---> BUT, for some reasons, the game is not running with this patch installed (I live in Russia_Moscow, and using official copy of GRAW) is starting to have trubles with launching (giving the error message - "some kind of "ticket exception or smth. like that- so I've gived up - have no time to involve myself into long period of finding something that possibly doesnot exists" So GRAW-Multi is far away now from me. Expand
  10. JonMoy
    Apr 29, 2006
    First impressions of the demo:
    1. Graphical representation of an urban environment is fantastic, similar to Full Spectrum Warrior (FSW) and Battlefield 2 (Strike at Karkand map).
    First impressions of the demo:
    2. Tactical command over your squad is a little 'iffy, and doesn't quite work that well. ie the AI isn't great. For example, trying to get a squaddie to move to a corner and provide cover down a street often results in them walking out into the open street. FSW was much better at getting squaddies to move to covering positions.
    3. Overhead tactical map is good. Similar to the previous Ghost Recon one. Gives you the impression that you have great control over you squad, however, its a pity the AI fails to deliver.
    4. Cool weapons!
    5. The maps are reasonably open compared to FSW, such that the missions are less linear and you can complete it by going down different approaches. Greater replayability and flexibity to play.
  11. SamF.
    Mar 27, 2007
    a Great game if you have the rig to run it. The recommended specs are 256mb video card, but on high detail you will get poor frame rates with it. For this game to run good you should have a 3 ghz cpu with 1 gig of ram and 512 mb on your video card. A very hard and immersive shooter which really shines. The graphics and massive areas are amazing which adds to the realism of this game. If a Great game if you have the rig to run it. The recommended specs are 256mb video card, but on high detail you will get poor frame rates with it. For this game to run good you should have a 3 ghz cpu with 1 gig of ram and 512 mb on your video card. A very hard and immersive shooter which really shines. The graphics and massive areas are amazing which adds to the realism of this game. If you have a good enough rig, run don't walk to buy this game. Expand
  12. Aug 21, 2010
    Having owned this game since it was released over 4 years ago, I just completed it! You might say that I am persistent. Like hell I am. I cheated big time. Way back years ago, I managed to get to the mission where you need to destroy the power station before my frustration with the game overwhelmed my desire to find out what happened next. Now I am all for reality in any computer game IHaving owned this game since it was released over 4 years ago, I just completed it! You might say that I am persistent. Like hell I am. I cheated big time. Way back years ago, I managed to get to the mission where you need to destroy the power station before my frustration with the game overwhelmed my desire to find out what happened next. Now I am all for reality in any computer game I play but for all but the Hardest Core competitive gamers this one is ridiculously difficult and unforgivingly brutal in sending you back to the beginning of missions to continue. I tried many strategies but the AI for all its brilliance is super-uber intelligent and I am sure that even those truly hardcore gamers would have to admit that we are up against an army of super soldiers here. One the other hand as I mentioned I cheated. I did a little research and swapped the local file in the root menu of the game with one that I downloaded which gave me infinite ammo and made me unkillable. Even so I did try to play as if my player could die and indeed I certainly would have died multiple times in each mission despite my efforts.

But over a few weeks I worked my way through the entire game. Even though cheating did remove an important dimension of the game it gave me the opportunity to complete it and otherwise it would never have happened in a month of Sundays for me. The need to cheat aside I think this game is a masterpiece of detail, realism, movement and atmosphere. One can truly be drawn into the story of a Mexican Military Cue during a North American Leaders Summit. True gravity given to the story line by the death of the Canadian Prime Minister early on as events unfold. Broad open mission areas toping off the finest first person shooter this gamers has ever played. Bar none including the overrated new stuff like Mass Effect 2 which I also just completed. GRAW was a way superior experience. I am now taking the wrapper of GRAW 2 which I purchased when it first came out!
  13. Oct 2, 2010
    The most realist fps at its time excepting Operation Flashpoint.Great ai nice weapons cool gameplay.The story isn't its best part but neither the worst.The sound is good.It is nicely shaped if you look you can see that you cant scavange enemy magazines if you have another caliber weapon.Good enough.
  14. May 26, 2011
    As a player looking for challenge, this game definitely brings frustrate in frustration. Much easier to die than on Resident Evil 4, on Professional...

I like the idea of individualizing yourself and your team's inventory, but the fact that microing EACH of them while trying to keep yourself and your team alive makes this punishing for new players. (I struggle with normal on this game.) And the team moves much slower behind you, which leaves to to wait for like 30 seconds before actually getting regrouped.
  15. Nov 27, 2010
    After having played the first Gost Recon I got stright thinto the advanced warfighter. I have no idea how someone can get such an excellent game and turn it into such a mess..

Honestly, this is the worst game I have ever played... It looks great, the graphics are great but it annoys the hell out of you.. Gameplay. Still after several hours of playing I cant get the keys in a

Gameplay.

Still after several hours of playing I cant get the keys in a configuration that is comfortable. In the first Ghost recon you could send the team exactly were you wanted to. You could tell to drop stance, lay on their knees or stand up. So you could protect them from their low IQ.

In this one, you cant. they do whatever you do. So, they are exposed and die on you all the time. So you have to do everything and only use them as cover. Now how stupid is that???

Weapons. You cant drop a weapon, you cant pick up ammo from other weapons even if they are of the same type, the rpgs you pick up show to have a missile on them but once you pick it up it says its empty, (bug), when you throw a grenade you can control the strength you throw it with and it leaves your hand as if you re using a grenade launcher.. etc etc..

On the hardcore, they tried to make it extremely difficult but the wrong way.. Just as you get into the line of sight of the enemy you get instantly killed. just like that.. Sometimes you are being shot at but the radar doesnt show you were the shots is coming from!! Guys, please.. realise that in reality you have a much wider vision, and hearing and you can understand were the shots come from.. you have to complement for the tunnel vision of gaming somehow.. ok???

the team.. on the hardcore, the "IQ" /abilities of the enemies goes up.. but your team is just as stupid and useless.. the are being shot at and all they do is shout : Im taking fire!!! Well yes you moron you are in a war what do you expect?? do sthing about it!!

on Ghost recon 1, you could walk around the enemies and flank tyhem while sending your team the other way.. on this one, no. they had to touch cvause sthing was bothering with you having the ability to think.. So, the map, doesnt get wide enough for you to control the team and as a result if you move too far from the rest you cant seem them on the map. and if you try to move them blindly, they ll go stright into the line of fire and get instantly killed.. nice..

If you wonder around now, and you get a bit off further away from where the game ecpects you to be, you get a guy on the screen yelling at you that you re leaving the battlefield and they ll shut you down.. and if you insists just a little more you die and start all over again.. nice hah??

Overall this game is a disaster.. I really liked the first Ghost Recon.. so much so, that I ve been playing for more then 3 years.. On and off of course.. This one? I ll finish, but I dont think I ll ever install it again..

there s no tactics, no gameplay, and no fun in it..
  16. JamesD.
    May 20, 2006
    Another buggy mess from UBI, Sure wish they would finish a game befor shipping to us and letting us do all their beta and bug testing.
  17. RolfB.
    May 8, 2006
    Yeah, this is the ONE! The game that will have you white knuckled with fear and joy at the same time. It's so tough that I get a huge sense of satisfaction and accomplishment every time I complete a mission. Online play is a kick and I'm even having dreams about this game!
  18. NickS.
    May 9, 2006
    The only drawback to this game is the fact that you have to have GREAT specs to play it. Two of my friends don't have 360s and wanted to play the PC but they had outdated systems, according to the syst reqs for GRAW-PC. But if you do have a proper setup, it's AWESOME.
  19. PatrickD.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Great graphics and sound marred by abysmal friendly AI and unforgiving enemy AI... not enough save points combined with these issues lead to an extremely frustrating game.
  20. DeathKnight
    May 9, 2006
    Just finished it today.The only thing I hated bout the game was my squad's AI. Sometimes they'll just refuse to follow the orders or just charge into exposed areas. The sound was great. As for the graphics, I was running it on 6600gt (128Mb). With every thing on mediam(except shadows which I had set to low) and 4x Anisotropic filtering. I was getting like 19-21fps. So I had no Just finished it today.The only thing I hated bout the game was my squad's AI. Sometimes they'll just refuse to follow the orders or just charge into exposed areas. The sound was great. As for the graphics, I was running it on 6600gt (128Mb). With every thing on mediam(except shadows which I had set to low) and 4x Anisotropic filtering. I was getting like 19-21fps. So I had no major problem with the gfx. Overall it was pretty decent game. Expand
  21. AngusM.
    Jun 30, 2007
    Great graphics, but utter and totally ruined by the save game system. Any program that will not let you save when you want to is broken.
  22. EricEdmond
    Apr 13, 2008
    The controls for controlling your team mates is a bit awkward. Being First Person makes it difficult to control exactly where you want them. They included a map where you can place them but there are so many crooks and crannies that again you can't accurately place them. So many times they end up standing in the middle of nowhere with no cover. Enemy AI even on the easiest levelThe controls for controlling your team mates is a bit awkward. Being First Person makes it difficult to control exactly where you want them. They included a map where you can place them but there are so many crooks and crannies that again you can't accurately place them. So many times they end up standing in the middle of nowhere with no cover. Enemy AI even on the easiest level is quite tough and will pound you into the ground for the slightest mistake. I prefer Full Spectrum Warrior's command structure (3rd person basically) over this First Person type. Also the saves only in certain places is a definite pain in the rear. It's a console game through and through that just didn't translate well onto the PC. Expand
  23. Jan 23, 2011
    This game is amazing, it combines unique strategy with moderately stunning graphics, its way more tactical and customizable than any other FPS on the market, at first it can be a little furstrating, but once its picked up, you will have a blast, I highly recommend this game if you want moderately realistic, along with a believable storyline. The combat is very interesting, with all theThis game is amazing, it combines unique strategy with moderately stunning graphics, its way more tactical and customizable than any other FPS on the market, at first it can be a little furstrating, but once its picked up, you will have a blast, I highly recommend this game if you want moderately realistic, along with a believable storyline. The combat is very interesting, with all the different angles it is very versatile, and the world has diversity, I would highly say that this is superior to any call of duty game, be warned however, the multi player just plain sucks. in GRAW2 however, the multi player is WAY better. Very often you will be completely convinced that you are an elite unit of the united states government.
    Very fun.
  24. MikeC.
    May 10, 2006
    As far as MP is concerned, this game is incomplete on release. For this reason, the best I can give it is a 7. If it shipped with dedicated server files, more MP modes and maps, Anti-cheat and a few more MP tweaks, it would have scored a 9 from me. If they would have also went with a more traditional graphics setup (read AA) as well, it would have scored a 10.
  25. FrancisG.
    May 23, 2006
    If you manage to get your hands on a new gaming computer, you are in for a excellent game. The ambiance is immersive and the graphics and action are awesome. Too bad they demonised the Nicaraguayan.
  26. KyleM.
    May 3, 2006
    I own both an xbox360 and a decently powered PC. I've had the 360 copy of GRAW since release, and I decided to try the PC version out, as that was the preferred multiplayer platform for many people I know (and I was mostly interested in CO-OP). While the PC version is a good game, the polish is somewhat diminished when being familiar with the 360 version of the game. I'm aware I own both an xbox360 and a decently powered PC. I've had the 360 copy of GRAW since release, and I decided to try the PC version out, as that was the preferred multiplayer platform for many people I know (and I was mostly interested in CO-OP). While the PC version is a good game, the polish is somewhat diminished when being familiar with the 360 version of the game. I'm aware that this was done by a different studio and with a different engine (unsure why they didn't just change the compiling destination with the supposed XNA dev kit), but there were many minor differences that took away from the game (ie adding additional respawns in PC co-op, picking up weapons of dead soldiers in PC co-op etc). A great game for sure, if i was only familiar with the PC version I would have given this a score of 9, however being familiar with the Xbox 360 version, I can only give it a 7. If you have a 360, it's worth the extra $10 to pay for the console version. Expand
  27. DynamicM.
    May 8, 2006
    This is almost perfect but for the fact that the com is very tough to use effectively and that the game is really difficult. That doesn't diminish the overall experience much though, it's a grade A game that's fast paced and terrific. I'd say it's MUCH better than it is bad.
  28. michael
    Jun 6, 2008
    For the most part, a good game. The two major problems is having ai problems with the squad, and the highly restricted save system. Fix one or the other, and I could tack on another rating point. FIx both and i have no problem with giving it a 9/10. The interface is easy to use, and squad commands area a breeze. Its just too bad you have to hold your squadmates hand often enough forFor the most part, a good game. The two major problems is having ai problems with the squad, and the highly restricted save system. Fix one or the other, and I could tack on another rating point. FIx both and i have no problem with giving it a 9/10. The interface is easy to use, and squad commands area a breeze. Its just too bad you have to hold your squadmates hand often enough for it to become a drag. Expand
  29. AamirM.
    May 23, 2006
    this is a truly gameplay masterpiece. every thing is perfect except you can easly die with an unacurate crosshair but thats all and one of the best online games ever!
  30. JeffB.
    May 8, 2006
    Only played Single Player so far. Love the graphics. Like that it "feels" like the original GR. Don't like that if the Capt dies, the mission is over. In the real world, ranking person in the squad would just take over. Also wish you could swap squad members like GR1. BUT, game play gives more lattitude than the typical "gun n' run" game, just like GR1. Definitely more Only played Single Player so far. Love the graphics. Like that it "feels" like the original GR. Don't like that if the Capt dies, the mission is over. In the real world, ranking person in the squad would just take over. Also wish you could swap squad members like GR1. BUT, game play gives more lattitude than the typical "gun n' run" game, just like GR1. Definitely more "tactical" in nature, which we GR1 alumni LOVE. No comment multi-player as I've not had a chance to play it yet. Expand

1. With 16 players and 16 guns blazing, the game is violent bliss, and certainly a war demanding to be fought over and over again. [Apr 2006, p.58]
    As a package, it's an incredibly complete product of flabbergasting quality; more than any other game, GRAW puts the player in the nerve-snapping tension of pauses between engagements. It thrusts you into the terror of modern, quicksilver-fluid combat.
  3. A demanding and gratifying shooter that brings a new level of seriousness to the Ghost Recon franchise. And, perhaps more importantly, restores it to the good graces of PC owners. Provided they've got the horsepower.