Tomb Raider PC

8.5

1. Jan 8, 2014
    Square Enix's rebranding of yet another Eidos franchise uses the same design philosophy as Hitman Absolution. The focus is almost entirely on producing a very high quality title, regardless of innovation or sophistication in level design. The game engine is incredible, offering not only amazing graphics, draw distances and of course, hair, but also realistic destruction, superb controlsSquare Enix's rebranding of yet another Eidos franchise uses the same design philosophy as Hitman Absolution. The focus is almost entirely on producing a very high quality title, regardless of innovation or sophistication in level design. The game engine is incredible, offering not only amazing graphics, draw distances and of course, hair, but also realistic destruction, superb controls and realistic AI. Tomb Raider showcases some of the best practices in game programming and doesn't make any mistakes in this department. From intuitive controls to excellent combat mechanics, including an automated cover system. Although you have to always aim first before firing, the shooter sections are genuinely intense and provide a challenge on the Hard difficulty setting. The platforming mechanics and movement animations are meticulous and fluent. The instincts button is very helpful for identifying objects of significance and hints on what to do and where to go so as to minimise frustration. The checkpoint system is perfect, the ability to fast travel will make for some more enticing replay value and best of all, you are rewarded for exploring. Tomb Raider is an extremely linear game, and everything is scripted with a few (not annoying) QTEs and predictable movie-style cliché cutscenes. However, despite the almost automated progression, Tomb Raider will reward those that take the time to explore the extremely detailed environments and optional tombs with both direct gameplay benefits as well as some more backstory. The upgrade system is simple but not tacked on. You don't NEED to buy anything, and the whole game is very simple unlike most RPGs. There aren't a billion different skills and currency types and meters. Whilst this is preferable for non-RPG players like myself, it does lack depth and it would be nice if there was more player involvement and an opportunity to use the weapons. After all, it is a survival game so it should at least depict this in gameplay. The story and character development is OK but could be a lot better. The multiplayer has an interesting game mode with "Cry for Help", and the progression, weapon balancing, perks etc. are well balanced (minus shotguns, which are underpowered), but the quality is not comparable with that of the single player, with a few bugs and laggy matches aplenty. Overall, Tomb Raider is a true adventure game which tries to appeal to the casual audience. It is the kind of game you recommend to a non-gamer and the emotionally sensitive. Although Tomb Raider is a shining example of game quality and practices regarding collectibles, mechanics etc. and has mainstream appeal, hardcore gamers will find more enjoyment in other titles with greater depth and more gameplay-orientated, player-driven approach such as Far Cry 3. If you're looking for a modern adventure game though, Tomb Raider is by far the most polished and appealing even to those that don't like the genre. Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2015
    The game is good, but i'll start with the bad:

The game is good, but i'll start with the bad:

- While the main plot of the game is interesting, albeit hackneyed, its execution - its writing - is lacking any force whatsoever. The characters are bland , unpronounced, and barely developed. The diary pages which Lara finds all throughout the Island are supposed to drive the story and move the plot, but instead they serve as unlinked distractions, which cohere together but at such a slow and not discrepant speed that they tend to get easily ignored and forgotten.

- The action scenes are simply a disaster translated from the consoles onto PC's. I had to run through some of them for over a dozen times to complete. Much of the problem was the limited FOV (Field of View) and the very badly executed third-person camera (see below). Lara's deaths in such scenes is gruesome and uncanny. The game was designed by a sadist (see below).

- Unmanageable third-person removed camera is not only a distraction, but an annoying obstacle. It's stuck to Lara as a bee on a spring, so each time i would move my mouse to see the surroundings (or enemies) while in motion, the obnoxious camera would return to the position it chose, which depending on the scene - is not necessarily static middle back to front. This recalcitrant camera made a game un-enjoyable and impractical - since i had to constantly fight with the angle of view, with no way of disabling the dynamics of the camera. (Once again - a blissful echo of the Console port).

- The game was designed by a sadist. The morbid dying sequences are something else. But even when Lara does not die, the dynamics of a situation around her will hurt her, and hurt her bad. Just start the game, play for the first 2 minutes, and you will understand what i mean. Well, guess what - it gets worse :) Lara falls, rooftops crumble on her head, she gets burns, she is burned by explosions, knocked down by brutes, etc. - and she looks pretty torn up by the middle of the game. Wow! Wow - this game was designed or directed by a sadist.

The above things are what makes the game bad, and steers it away from a score above 7. However, there are good things in the game:

- Main plot, once again, is pretty good, although never fully developed or explored, and Lara's realization that she is on an Island where something controls the weather, and her inability to recognize the WWII subplot, make her a very imperceptive and unintelligent character, as opposed to her description (smart, cunning, intuitive). Really now, when you are looking at a WWII canon, dead soldiers lying around, and reading a diary which explicitly tells you in a German accent "The Russians are coming, we need to move the weather-controlling research away from them" - won't you be able to tie the things together into a Nazi Secret Project Theme? Well, Lara does not - instead she asks us - "What's going on here?!" Oh, come on!

- Well, ok. Maybe it wasn't as good... :) Anyway, the leveling up system is pretty cool, and keeps the game dynamic but only up until the middle of the game.

- Voice acting is mostly pretty good too, with just a few exceptions of inability to produce the proper emotion through over-acting and inexperience.

- Combat sequences are fun, although repetitive.

- Graphics are pretty good, and actually pretty well optimized for a port (although not completely - such as the low FOV).

- Exploring is very fun, up until the point where you understand that all the artifacts you find have nothing to do with the story. And the confusion between Chinese and Japanese dynasties does not help the understanding of the whole story.

Conclusion:
    7/10.
    Good game. 15-20 hours to complete on Normal. I did not play multiplayer. No replay value, unless you are a completionist and want to gain all achievements.
  3. May 31, 2013
    This game is a generic Japanese-style survival horror created for an imagined world market. Lara Croft is not really in the game, as this one has nothing to do with what makes her Lara (attitude, weapons, and James Bond style adventure). The character doesn't act like Lara and barely looks like her. Plenty of cutscenes interrupt the gameplay. Grostesque and bland environments are litteredThis game is a generic Japanese-style survival horror created for an imagined world market. Lara Croft is not really in the game, as this one has nothing to do with what makes her Lara (attitude, weapons, and James Bond style adventure). The character doesn't act like Lara and barely looks like her. Plenty of cutscenes interrupt the gameplay. Grostesque and bland environments are littered with junk, al-la Silent Hill. You can navigate the first areas holding down a single key. For long time fans of Lara, this is NOT a must buy. While not as crummy as TR2, I can say that the Japanese Square Enix ruined the series. TR: Legend, Anniversary, and the original game for the playstation are still what Lara Croft should be. This one is rebooted crap! The controls are ok, but compared to other 3d survival games, this one misses the mark, or is barely fun. Not a Tomb Raider game. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    (After five hours of playing, I'm currently at 12% complete.) As an old fart of a gamer, I remember when Lara Croft first burst onto the scene and how she changed the gaming landscape. Since then, many others have duplicated the success of the Tomb Raider series (see: Uncharted) while Tomb Raider, itself, was left to languish as an aging property. The new Tomb Raider doesn't really change(After five hours of playing, I'm currently at 12% complete.) As an old fart of a gamer, I remember when Lara Croft first burst onto the scene and how she changed the gaming landscape. Since then, many others have duplicated the success of the Tomb Raider series (see: Uncharted) while Tomb Raider, itself, was left to languish as an aging property. The new Tomb Raider doesn't really change the genre like the original did but, instead, is content to merely copy off of successful IPs that had originally copied Tomb Raider itself. In case that line sounds confusing, think of it this way: Get rid of Sully and turn Nathan Drake into a woman, and you have the new Tomb Raider. Both games play the same, are loaded with quick time events, and are graphically appealing. The critical difference between the two is that the story of Lara is more gritty and realistic than the over the top stories of Nathan and his quests. Graphically the game is quite a treat. With DX11 support and TressFX, the game looks beautiful. Even something as mundane as rain can make you stop and just look around at the rich graphical detail. Of course, this all comes at a cost. DX11's SSAO and Tesselation are, as always, some of the biggest perfomance consumers and TressFX, while nice, costs a considerable amount of performance just to have more realistic character hair. To elaborate, running on a i7-3770 with a GeForce GTX 550 Ti, I have no problems running "High" level graphics and maintaining a consistent frame rate. Turn on TressFX, however, and the frame rate plummets into the 40s. Not worth it for "hair effects", in my opinion. Despite the graphical polish and more realistic Lara, the game thus far is higher than mediocre but falls just short of greatness. The major complaint I have is that it is TOO linear with a LOT of hand holding. Stand in one place long enough and Lara, no matter how injured, will tell you EXACTLY what to do next. Even if you ignore her constant dialog, tap one key and the world will light up all the critical elements like the Grizwold family Christmas Tree. I know people hate the term "linear" but, much like Uncharted 3, there's little reason to explore beyond the predetermined paths. Actual tombs to raid are few and far between (I've seen 3, one of which was only thanks to having the Survival Edition) while the puzzles within the tombs themselves have not been very challenging. Lara's story starts out engaging but starts to unravel after only a few hours of gameplay when the entire story line becomes muddled. Part of this is due to the way Lara turns from shrinking violet into action heroine. The transition is too rapid and incredulous which causes the game to drop focus on the other characters including the main antagonist. All in all, it's a good reboot that brings Tomb Raider on par with the Uncharted series but what does that really say when Uncharted owes its existence to Tomb Raider itself? Crystal Dynamics did an amazing job graphically and have made a story better than a lot of AAA titles so I do recommend playing the game. However, I can't see it having any real longevity beyond the first playthrough since the only reason to go back is to obtain missed collectables, as the scriped story never changes and the tomb raiding is such an afterthought that any tomb-adding DLC will likely fall flat. At $49.99 (current Steam PC price) or $59.99 (console price), I'm not so sure the price/entertainment ratio is quite worth it for a title that will collect dust after one playthrough. Your mileage may vary of course but, based on the gameplay experience thus far, it is my opinion that anyone interested in the new Tomb Raider should wait for a Steam sale or rent the console variety from Gamefly. Expand
  5. Oct 24, 2016
    Game has barely anything to do with Tomb Raider name, its just generic action game with casual survival gameplay elements, mostly forgetable cast of characters and mediocre story.
  6. Aug 24, 2013
    Agree strongly with the negative reviews. This game is a MESS of QTEs, narrow, linear levels and mediocre writing pretending to tell a deep story. The whole thing has a lot of potential, and it may get good towards the end. Who knows? I got sick of the quick-time crap pretty fast and went on to play Farcry 3, which was about 1000X better.

THE GROT REVIEW CRITERIA: After a long time

7. Mar 11, 2013
    Even though the visuals and gameplay are exquisite, Tomb Raider's voiceacting sometimes feels a bit too much. Lara always thinks out loud, and almost every single line she says ends in a higher or lower tone. The beauty of the voiceacting however is when you find relics surprisingly, that's where Lara's voice really stands above many other games.
  8. Jun 16, 2014
    A great reboot to a franchise that desperately needed it.
    This game reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed mechanics mixed with a Far Cry theme and survival setting.
    A great reboot to a franchise that desperately needed it.
    Though the world was open to explore, the gameplay was linear and always pointed you to a specific place or direction. Not much to do aside from the base story other than collect the collectables that we are so fond of in games like these.
    However, what it delivered in the single player campaign was a quality, story-driven experience.
    The multiplayer is already completely dead. Could not manage to get into a multiplayer game after an hour of waiting on two different occasions.
  9. Sep 5, 2013
    The graphics, environments, and weather effects are beautiful. Everything about this game is high quality and consisting of high production values. Its only flaws are the excessive amounts of quick time events and the overusage of cutscenes to tell a surprisingly good story. There are also many extras to collect.
  10. Mar 7, 2015
    A game which plays itself. I'm a huge fan of games where the player has full control of the gameplay, possibly over the story too and this game (mostly interactive animation) is the exact opposite.

Story is a complete joke: you're stranded with your archaelogical team on a supposedly desert island which turns out being filled with rogue assassins which you'll have to kill one by one... originality and deepness are completely lacking on this compartment. Not to mention character developing or insight: is Lara Croft a screaming and crying helpless girl or a cold-blood killer who one-man (woman) slaughters the population of an entire island? She cannot be both, just saying.
    Not to mention that after a few hours I really got tired of Lara's continous panting, gulping and crying, you don't do that if you're in danger, you don't make any noise, think rationally and survive (or, well, you can also cry and scream, get cought and die)

Gameplay is what disappointed me the most. Most of gameplay time (I'm not kidding, it's like a bit over 50%) you don't actually play. Instead you're offered cutscenes ending up in QUICK-TIME EVENTS and death... let me explain, when I see a cinematic/cutscene starting, I usually let my hands rest a bit, sit back and enjoy. Having QTEs on everything took back even that little enjoyment and relax I could get from watching graphically stunning cutscenes.
    Also just to add more, I didn't like how character turning animation/response worked, mice are not analogic levers.

Now, on the technical compartment, graphic is stunning and music and effects are really good too. Same goes for photography, camera on cutscenes is always where it should be to get the best visual effect.
    Also, graphic is extremely well optimized so you actually need average-to-low specs to achieve stunning graphical results.

So, if you like graphically stunning interactive cutscene manslaughter and you don't care what your character name is, you may like this game. Don't even think of buying it if you ever played one of the first tomb raiders, this will ruin your past experience even if it was a bad one.
  11. Jan 1, 2015
    A perfectly adequate game, but not deserving of the hype. About as linear and scripted as it is possible to get, but that's ok. The story is decent, if a bit formulaic and predictable. There is at times too much rambo firefighting and arguably not quite enough tomb raiding. If I wanted firefights, I'd play CoD. When you do get round to tomb raiding, the puzzles lack variety are too similarA perfectly adequate game, but not deserving of the hype. About as linear and scripted as it is possible to get, but that's ok. The story is decent, if a bit formulaic and predictable. There is at times too much rambo firefighting and arguably not quite enough tomb raiding. If I wanted firefights, I'd play CoD. When you do get round to tomb raiding, the puzzles lack variety are too similar and a bit easy, almost HL2 easy. Fortunately, this port only has mild consolitis, yes there is the usual horrible checkpoint save system, but there is no mouse lag or acceleration. The graphics are clearly optimized for consoles (low res textures, dx9 etc), comparable to Far Cry 2 (from 2008). The quick time events (mash keyboard to survive) are a bit annoying sometimes. Get it in a Steam sale. Expand
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    When you're actually allowed to play, the game is pretty fun. The problem is they have this nasty habit of throwing in awful QTEs all over the place, some of which just require flat out memorization of the sequence to get through. I'm docking points for that alone, because they should have known better.
  13. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is average at the most, nice going from game developers to make action & adventure game for casuals. I finished this on hardest difficulty and even though it was suppose to be hard it really wasn't at all. Enemy AI is stupid and even though they are going for cover from you they still leave themselves vulnerable for headshots and easy kills. All these climbing and small puzzleThis game is average at the most, nice going from game developers to make action & adventure game for casuals. I finished this on hardest difficulty and even though it was suppose to be hard it really wasn't at all. Enemy AI is stupid and even though they are going for cover from you they still leave themselves vulnerable for headshots and easy kills. All these climbing and small puzzle things that this game contains are outright boring and don't serve any other purpose than leveling up Lara to get some more skillpoints. Skillpoint system is old and doesn't bring anything new to the gaming. Developers really need to start thinking about new possibilities to improve these kinda games. Expand
  14. Apr 12, 2013
    Tomb Raider (2013)

Seems to me like a game that i won't really spend my money on its next title, hopefully. This game has absurd QTEs and buggy and glitchy platform parkours. Not to mention the unrealistic amount of times that there is a NDE (Near Death) in the story-line. Absolutely not worth the full price. Also the frequent frame drops with my 7970 makes me wonder if this is the
    Tomb Raider (2013)

Also the frequent frame drops with my 7970 makes me wonder if this is the standard game's coding and engine. Quite disappointing from Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.
    Finishing the game for me is such a pain in the neck.
    The brighter side of the game is its retail version, it already gives the player 9/18 DLCs, not something you would see very often.
    Got it for S$52.90, did not really regretted or enjoyed.

15. Mar 13, 2014
    Played: Dec 2013
    PROS:
    + Level design is quite good: the locations actually feel like parts of an island (the mountain village is especially good) + Several awesome action sequences CONS: - Story is pretty flimsy - Combat doesn’t feel quite right REVIEW: I picked this game up for $10 during steam’s end of year sale, and man was it a bargain! Running this game on a high-end PC
    Played: Dec 2013
    PROS:
    + Several awesome action sequences
    CONS:
    - Story is pretty flimsy
    - Combat doesn’t feel quite right
    REVIEW:
    I picked this game up for $10 during steam’s end of year sale, and man was it a bargain! Running this game on a high-end PC allowed me to run, jump, and fight all over beautiful environments in what seems to be a popularized remake of a cult-favorite series. Beautiful environments aren’t everything, though: the prettiest game is still boring if you only move down an endless hallway. This is where Tomb Raider really shines-environments are interesting and varied. Cover is only important until you have killed all the baddies on the island (they don’t regenerate), but revisiting old areas to complete “find x objects” quests is still interesting because of the depth of the areas (most are at least 2-stories tall).
    The other main advantage this game boasts is the number of action sequences. I can think of four sequences right off hand where I literally said out loud “Man, this is awesome!” I’d hate to wreck any surprises by gushing about what they were, but a game that actually manages to be memorable should be worth a few dollars.
    Moving on to what didn’t go well, the story is frankly dumb. Sure the premise is cool: you are on an academic trip to find a long-lost culture and have to survive. Unfortunately the conclusion is pretty obvious from the beginning; the hints that are supposed to lead up to the surprise climax ending really just give away a pretty shallow plot. To their credit, however they at least attempted to fill it out with well-voiced audio clips that you find around.
    My other gripe is combat. This game feels like is was supposed to be about platforming and exploring but somebody said it was boring and a combat system had to be grafted in wholesale. You have four weapons plus some hand-to-hand skills to work with, but this is third-person action as we saw it in the mid-2000s with clunky weapons and occasionally awkward hitboxes. If you find yourself in really close proximity, there is an okay counter system but I found that it was more fun to avoid fights all together, sniping the guards with a bow so I could explore at leisure.
    BOTTOM LINE: This game has its weaknesses, but it is definitely worth your attention, especially if you can find it on sale!
  16. Apr 18, 2013
    For the first 5 hours of game-play, you will come to love Lara Croft and her journey to being an official bad ass, Being ruthless and aggressive, Being stealthy. At this point, I was ready to give the game a 8-9 even 10 Score, That's how much I was falling in love with this title, The random Tombs hidden around, The great graphics, the very well scripted events. But then, about 5 hours in,For the first 5 hours of game-play, you will come to love Lara Croft and her journey to being an official bad ass, Being ruthless and aggressive, Being stealthy. At this point, I was ready to give the game a 8-9 even 10 Score, That's how much I was falling in love with this title, The random Tombs hidden around, The great graphics, the very well scripted events. But then, about 5 hours in, Lara Croft Turns into your average Dull shooter, It's difficult to explain why, but I think I know. First, The gun physics aren't great, but I can excuse that because I like to go into all the situations stealthy, which brings me onto my second point, At about 5 hours in, the game stops giving you the option to use stealth, You are FORCED! into Shooter situations which then, turns the game into a dull 3rd person shooter with a bad cover mechanic, So lets treat it like a shooter then, Well it has a bad recoil system that doesn't make much sense, seems like Lara is always firing from the hip and can't actually AIM a gun, the spread system is the same, just like firing from the hip bullets fly off in random directions meaning you need to use the rifles in a semi auto style, but that's difficult considering there's no firing mode options, The gun models aren't great either they look all washed out and fake, The upgrades system is very sub par. Now this takes me to my third point, You cannot go into and out-of stealth, the game decides whether you use stealth or not, and it's not like Splinter cell, Deus ex, Far Cry and Crysis, where the play can run and hide from the enemies giving them a chance to sneak up again, Nope, as soon as your detected, The AI knows where you are like they have some magical Laradar, You cannot hide after being detected, which ruins the entire stealth mechanic. Now my fourth point is about a common thing in gaming these days, Lara croft is plagued with the Button presses in uncontrollable action cutscenes(Known as quick time events) I personally think if these were more dynamic and would let user control effect the outcome, It would be better, as you would feel more in control of what your actually doing in a "VIDEO GAME" which costed you £40.

BUT The game excels well in the "TOMB RAIDING" part of this game, Sadly there are far too little tombs and puzzles, some of them are too easy to solve, there is almost no challenge compared to the old Lara Croft/PoP/TLOZ games.

So what are you left with? Your left with a dull third person shooter with poor shooting mechanics. A broken stealth system that has more quick time events than gameplay, An interesting story with a weak ending and finally a pretty puzzling mechanic which looks fantastic but is too easy and unsatisfying.

I had high hopes for this game, It has it's good points, But they are overshadowed by the games crippling problems.

If your interested in the story your better off watching a play through, if you want a proper jump puzzler, Go for Prince Of Persia: The forgotten sands, If you want a proper stealth-shooter game, get Far Cry 3.
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not too bad of a game. The gameplay for the most part is good and the story is good too. I think lara's transition from afraid of killing people to lady rambo was a little too abrupt. Also I think they could have cut down on all of the unnecessary "mash e to do this" qtes. Other than that its good and i recommend getting it on a sale. Expand
  18. Dec 27, 2013
    This is a good game but not a GREAT game. the reason being that you are lead by your nose though the whole adventure. You never have to do much thinking yourself as the puzzles are extremely basic and all ledges/climbable walls stick out like a sore thumb pulling you out of the game. Bright white rope that you can attach to, bright white ledges just bring home that you are in a GAME not aThis is a good game but not a GREAT game. the reason being that you are lead by your nose though the whole adventure. You never have to do much thinking yourself as the puzzles are extremely basic and all ledges/climbable walls stick out like a sore thumb pulling you out of the game. Bright white rope that you can attach to, bright white ledges just bring home that you are in a GAME not a 'world'. It feels a lot like Darksiders actually.

My last point is there really isn't much tomb raiding going on here. The tombs are all single room puzzles and are generally quite basic. A real pity that developers can't throw some more difficult stuff into the optional tombs.

Luckily the plot and desire to see what happens should get you through the game. The beginning and end are very good. its just the middle that suffers from "you are an idiot and we don't trust you to play the game yourself" syndrome.
  19. Dec 26, 2013
    Buggy quick time events spoiled much of this game for me. I also didn't like the very dark atmosphere. Did anyone think it strange how many dead bodies there were lying about decomposing in massive piles in various locations? I mean how logical is it that there must have been tens of thousands of people killed and decomposing but how can this be? A remote desert island that an occasionalBuggy quick time events spoiled much of this game for me. I also didn't like the very dark atmosphere. Did anyone think it strange how many dead bodies there were lying about decomposing in massive piles in various locations? I mean how logical is it that there must have been tens of thousands of people killed and decomposing but how can this be? A remote desert island that an occasional ship or plane crashes into? I think the dead and decomposing bodies were put there to satisfy the blood lust of teenagers who might be enticed into the tomb raider franchise. Its a shame really because there was much I enjoyed about the game, I really felt invested in my Lara and her struggle to survive and keep her buddies safe. I enjoyed the exploration and I liked the combat. But I did find the immersion was broken by the bugged quick time events and the over use of dead and decomposing bodies. Expand
  20. Sep 29, 2015
    Great looking game. Fun combat and puzzle solving. Rediculous story campaign. Even though this game snuck in at just over 8 hours to finish the last couple of hours I felt like the game had overstayed its welcome.
    Good if you can pick it up cheap in the sales and looking for a something to sink a few hours over the weekend.
  21. Oct 19, 2016
    This game treats you like you're an idiot, even on the hard setting of which I beat it on without dying more than a few times. It holds your hand & does almost everything for you, from sneaking to cover. Everything is automated. I wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't have a hidden aim assist because headshots are incredibly easy to get. I think I got more headshots in this gameThis game treats you like you're an idiot, even on the hard setting of which I beat it on without dying more than a few times. It holds your hand & does almost everything for you, from sneaking to cover. Everything is automated. I wouldn't be surprised if the game didn't have a hidden aim assist because headshots are incredibly easy to get. I think I got more headshots in this game than any other game I've ever played.

The game isn't unfun, though, even if it thinks I'm a mouth breather. The story keeps you playing through it & it's pretty good overall. Some moments are down right stupifying, though. Like, the part where Lara saves her friends by EXPLODING them to safety. I wish I was joking honestly, as it's the absolute dumbest part in the entire game.

The graphics are fricking gorgeous & the game is optimized incredibly well for how much detail was put into it. I have an old 1GB 5670 & I was running at a smooth 60fps on high, albeit 720 resolution. Just don't turn on the hair physics unless you have a top of the line machine cause it kills the FPS like no tomorrow.

Dunno why this is called "Tomb Raider" either as there are only about 5 tombs in the whole game, most of which are solved with one puzzle in about 30 seconds. It's more like "Uncharted: Featuring Lara Croft". There are no real tombs or puzzles or anything that any child couldn't solve. The game is basically for babies, but it's a fun game for babies with blood, guts & head explosions. Just don't take anything too seriously & you'll probably have a good time.
  22. Apr 7, 2013
    I believe this game has some major problems. First things first: this is not a Tomb Raider game. Not just because this is a reboot. That would be fine. Problem is, this game has a completely different idea behind it. The previous games were about exploration, a sense of danger and wonder, and they played it straight: Lara was a female Indiana Jones able to walk in and out of every sort ofI believe this game has some major problems. First things first: this is not a Tomb Raider game. Not just because this is a reboot. That would be fine. Problem is, this game has a completely different idea behind it. The previous games were about exploration, a sense of danger and wonder, and they played it straight: Lara was a female Indiana Jones able to walk in and out of every sort of adventure, and you got the sense that she, in fact, did that every day. The necessary tension to keep the game interesting came from the gameplay: limited life, limited ammo, scarce ammunition for most weapons. The puzzles were interesting and challenging, set in beautiful environments.
    Some of these elements kind of survive in this reboot, some do not. The puzzles are absolutely, boringly easy, and you also get an "highlight the objects I need" function, just in case. Some environments are still noteworthy, but as good as the graphics may be they fail to reach the same charisma of games like "the last revelation" or the recent remake of the original, and not even the platform elements remain intact. The "tombs" look like they were thrown in at the last moment just to be consistent with the name, and they usually contain one room with a single easy puzzle and a box. That's it. Now, I remember those challenging times when I did a few too many mistakes and kept going on, only to find myself with 1/4 of my life and 0 medkits in the old games. And getting past those moments was a rewarding experience. Now there is ammo everywhere and life regenerates (STOP TAKING THE GAME OUT OF MY GAMES). While the previous games created tension trough gameplay, this game tries to create tension mostly trough narrative. This is another mistake, as games are not supposed to be movies, but it could still work. However, they didn't play that right. If you want to create tension trough narrative, then the *spectator* (which should be a player, amirait?) should feel that there is something at stake, e.g. Lara's life. But Lara keeps being pierced, falling, and getting her feet in a bear trap, and falling, beaten, and then she just gets up and keeps on going! If you can see the main character basically brushing off almost everything that happens to her, then the tension is gone, no matter how much blood you want to show. Being too violent in this case spoils the effect, working against suspension of disbelief when the character just keeps on going. Later on in the game she is suddenly in need of medical assistance (even tough having been trough much worse), but the problem is solved is such an hasty way to make it as believable as the good ol insta-heal kits. But we accepted those kits in terms of gameplay, because it was in fact a different genre! Now, there were two road they could have taken: either go with the original formula, a female indy with over the top abilities we just take for granted, which does happily allow for much less realism, or a girl with little or no training except an archeology PhD that learns and refines her skills on the ground, forced to survive in a realistic and unforgiving environment. You would see her getting around clumsily at fist and gaining confidence trough her adventure. They obviously tried the latter approach, but excessive violence and a disempowered gamplay takes this game off the mark, not to mention how the added realism makes all the silly an unrealistic elements stand out, and there is very little character progression. Shes' already awesome to begin with, she just looks more insecure, again spoiling the tension. There is nothing at stake. Those two approaches are very different and you can't apply them both at the same time.
    Oh, I almost forgot: quick time events. Quick time events are a stupid excuse to make a long cinematic look like you're still interacting with a videogame. I'm fine with long cinematics, I hate "press E very fast to make the cinematic go on!!!". The number of too many QTE in your game is 1.
    It's not an exceedingly bad game tough, by all means buy it if you find a copy under 5 bucks, as there is much, much worse out there, but even if you're fine with it not being actually a tomb raider game, this is still a missed occasion.
  23. Apr 25, 2014
    Things I like about the game:
    Things I like about the game:
    Graphically on PC the game looks and feels great. I run my games at 2560x1440 resolution and I was slightly worried frame rate might be an issue in a game like this, however, the game was very well optimised and had good FPS throughout. The soundtracks and typical Tomb Raider theme was very noticeable and it's good to see that they haven't lost the classic gameplay that previous Tomb Raider games had. I also enjoyed the choice of weaponry (especially the bow) and overall the storyline was pretty good.

Things I dislike about the game:
    Firstly, the AI are completely stupid. Throughout the game you are completely bombarded by waves of enemies which come in groups of around 7-15 people at a time. The fact that Lara Croft doesn't get killed by the obviously overwhelming number of enemies is beyond me. All the AI seem to do is run at you, whilst a few archers sit back and pop in and out of cover. Enemies are predictable and far too easy to kill. I would have preferred less enemies with harder difficulties. It also seems stupid how enemies without armour require multiple bullets to die, the damage settings in this game seem completely wrong. The next thing I dislike is the voice acting. Lara Croft sounded somewhat awkward throughout the game. I'm British myself and so I understand the British accent very well. There was something about Lara that was almost cheesy in a way. For example, she would often talk to herself to give you clues as to what to do next, something nobody would do. In addition, she seems a bit too confident when in combat. Shouting things like "You won't get me this time!" sounds really corny and any human alive (after what she's been through) would be exhausted and probably a lot more afraid of countless enemies with fire grenades and guns/bows running at you. I also found the game in general to be extremely repetitive. I was rushing through the story avoiding hidden loots and in-game secrets just so I could get the game done and dusted. After a few hours I was bored of the linear temples and climbing obstacles, it just seemed that every time Lara got near an exit, the exit would stupidly explode or something meaning you have to take an alternative route which is another 10 minutes of puzzles and rope climbing...

The game was fun at times, but unfortunately not my cup of tea.
  24. Dec 1, 2015
    My hands and arms are painful due to playing FPS games with keyboard and mouse, so taking a break I switched to play Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 controller. Since a grenade tied to an arrow can't get a wild board killed with a direct shot at it's body, I changed the tactic to take the shot up it's arse - so the grenade stucked in the wild board's arse, it exploded, blasting faeces through it'sMy hands and arms are painful due to playing FPS games with keyboard and mouse, so taking a break I switched to play Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 controller. Since a grenade tied to an arrow can't get a wild board killed with a direct shot at it's body, I changed the tactic to take the shot up it's arse - so the grenade stucked in the wild board's arse, it exploded, blasting faeces through it's internal organs and sputtering out through it's mouth, the faeces splatted onto enemy soldiers' face who camps near a camp site, that made them puke as they're eating! The powerful shots has sent the wild board's eyeballs out flying like a shotgun's pellets - into another 2 soldiers' mouth as they dropped their gob open at hearing the explosion! The 2 solders are choking on the eyeballs (obstructed throat). I used a handgun and making a single shot to their heads as they pukes or choking about ... a puzzle game huh?! Let your imagination run wild, but sure couldn't see why a grenade can't kill a wild board with a direct shot to it's trunk! Game bugs?! So shall never download games on this planet, really hate FADE like copy-protections! Go to hell with CodeMaster the sh!t masters!

You can't get an erection hearing Lara's scream, since no boob size are adjustable in this one ... so unlike Saints Row the Third that is!
  25. Jan 17, 2015
    the story play out like a interactive movie, the graphics on pc even at highest setting were dated, the combat mechanics are like your average action game with god like ai that will know where you are even if they should'nt , some of the puzzles were frustrating(due to dated graphic's), I picked this up for 5 bucks on a steam sale and I cant complain really , the dev really poured theirthe story play out like a interactive movie, the graphics on pc even at highest setting were dated, the combat mechanics are like your average action game with god like ai that will know where you are even if they should'nt , some of the puzzles were frustrating(due to dated graphic's), I picked this up for 5 bucks on a steam sale and I cant complain really , the dev really poured their and soul into the game I commend them for that, so the story is good, , the rest im sorta mixed on though Expand
  26. May 2, 2013
    Best adventure of the last years, even if the story is rushed and there is too much action for old fans of the series, the game manages to entertain, however the dlc-policy is a joke.
  27. Aug 11, 2014
    I am an old school Tomb Raider fan and have finished most of the old TR games. Technically the game is amazing and really had the potential to become a great TR. Sadly some critical aspects of it ruined the experience. First and foremost the game is holding all the time the player's hand telling him what to do, where to go etc. which comes in complete contrast with the original TR spirit.I am an old school Tomb Raider fan and have finished most of the old TR games. Technically the game is amazing and really had the potential to become a great TR. Sadly some critical aspects of it ruined the experience. First and foremost the game is holding all the time the player's hand telling him what to do, where to go etc. which comes in complete contrast with the original TR spirit. And this is only the beginning. The game is overloaded with hundreds of QT E's making it look more like a movie rather than a game and also there are no puzzles at all. And finally this is an overwhelmingly brutal game, feature that I didn't really enjoy. I was definitely expecting a lot more from this game. In my opinion this is a very good game but NOT a Tomb Raider game. Expand
  28. Apr 13, 2013
    Being a big fan of original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Anniversary this game is just OK. Tomb Raider 2013 being a typical console port actually doesn't ruin the game that much. Nice graphics and semi generic game play with some elements of cute story telling makes this a decent game. I have to admit that some parts of game play were pretty cool. However, this is just another genericBeing a big fan of original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Anniversary this game is just OK. Tomb Raider 2013 being a typical console port actually doesn't ruin the game that much. Nice graphics and semi generic game play with some elements of cute story telling makes this a decent game. I have to admit that some parts of game play were pretty cool. However, this is just another generic shooter in which you kill literally hundreds of enemies which keep spawning and running at you. If you like puzzles and shooting this game is for you. Overall worth playing. Expand
  29. Mar 9, 2013
    While playing this, it was obvious it was made with the help of "The Mainstream's Guide to Making a Video Game". The story you will both love and hate. At first it tries to sell you the "hardcore survival" but it entirely drops it after less than an hour and completely kicks into action movie mode, with a decent (but painfully predictable) story in an old Tomb Raider spirit. Even though aWhile playing this, it was obvious it was made with the help of "The Mainstream's Guide to Making a Video Game". The story you will both love and hate. At first it tries to sell you the "hardcore survival" but it entirely drops it after less than an hour and completely kicks into action movie mode, with a decent (but painfully predictable) story in an old Tomb Raider spirit. Even though a lot of characters are also made with the Mainstream's handbook, they manage to stay interesting and their voice acting is great. When I saw the gameplay was mostly just a TPS, I was ready to start raging, but it was actually pretty well done. The action is fluid and fun, both shooting and melee. The cover system has been refreshed when entering combat, Lara ducks and moves low, allowing more freedom when using cover. The puzzles are few in the main game, and there are more in (optional) tombs, but they are pretty simple. Weapon arsenal is a constant of 4 weapons (bow, pistol, shotgun, automatic rifle) and has a silly upgrade system. I'm not entirely sure how i got from a WW II submachine-gun to an AK-47 by collecting 3 "weapon parts", or how I'm getting any parts from dead animals. The leveling is just your typical, linear, pointless garbage that serves no purpose but make an easy game even easier or provide you with some new moves. Finally, there is the "hunter instinct" or whatever it is called, which highlights every possible thing of interest and helps make kids playing the game dumber. Of course, the game has amazing graphics that are very well optimized. The hair effects are buggy, as they will butcher the framerate randomly for no apparent reason. With all things taken into account, I don't want to give this enjoyable game a low score just for appealing to the casual audience or following the annoying mainstream trends. Expand
  30. Sep 5, 2013
    The female Indiana Jones/ Nathan Drake is back with a reboot that looked like a more mature turning point for the character. I personally have only had the chance to immerse myself into only one of these boob fests and that is Tomb Raider: Underworld. While a good time it never managed to shine bright on my gaming shelf. And this new one is something I wanna talk about now.
    One of the
    One of the things to take note off is the brutal violence. And this is where it got messy. This game could have pulled it off if the script could mix in with this aspect. I thought it was cool to see this tipe of violence and darkness to the game but it mixed like oil and water with the actual script! They confused me by telling a mild adventure story with some mild characters and then throwing an F-bomb or some grotesque violent image to my face. It was incoherent and weird. Imagine watching a classic fun Indie movie and then seeing him say this ****ing and impaling someone. That was a major turn off for me since at first I didn´t understand what was off about it.
    Another thing is the survival aspect that was portrayed at us in an awesome intense way in a poster where they show Lara tying a peace of cloth to her wounded bloody arm. And it actually delivered at some points where you saw Lara all messed up and hurt in the rain fighting a pack of wolves or surprisingly by just sitting at a sad campsite in the woods! But at the same time it got tuned down when Lara just jumped of a building at fell through an entire mountain just to shrugg it off afterwards. That was a coherence aspect of the game too.
    A thing that really made this game shine was it´s enviroment and graphics. The snow and rain where sharp and you could almost feel the wind in Laras skin while it blew her off a bridge (****ing Himiko).
    The gameplay was fluid too, Lara moved realisticly and there wasn´t something more badass than using the bow. Besides what I said about Lara weirdly taking massive destruction falls of death, those setpieces where pretty amazin (plane crash FTW).
    So... was this game the reboot everyobody has been waiting to play? Maybe, for some but the definite most awesome one they could make, no. Script and game incoherences made it confusing and sometimes awkward. So if you want to play a game focused on telling a full adventure story go play whatever Uncharted game for the fifth time.
    I´m giving Tomb Raider a 7 outta 10.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    The new incarnation of the iconic Lara Craft might very well be one of the best games out there right now. [April 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 30, 2013
    Everything you could want from an archeological adventure, except having to press six keys to mantle. [Apr 2013, p.80]
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    While not every promising idea Tomb Raider has is pulled off successfully, it nevertheless turns in a tense and memorable ride that combines modern game design with its forebears’ adventurous spirit in some exciting ways. Some of its missteps may well come at the cost of your enjoyment, but most can’t hope to hurt the adventure in the long run. Although it never fully finds its identity, this is a game and a story worth seeing through.