• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Sep 6, 2013
    I WAS a big fan of the total war series (played every game since the first one), but unfortunately although I'm not an expert, I have to admit this game is really bad. AI is no AI at all, multiplayer simply doesn't work, coop campaign neither. CA has released this game far too early. I would have waited another year to get a good game, but THIS game is just UNACCEPTABLE. Goodbye CA.
  2. Sep 4, 2013
    Well, I've been (trying to) play this for a day and a night, and I can officially confirm this game is an absolute POS. I don't even had too many technical problems, a few, but my opinion is based solely on the experience of the game thus far. Here are some of my observations;

i. Where the hell are the seasons? Even Rome I had seasons, and that was ten years ago! ii. OK, so the turns

ii. OK, so the turns advance a whole year, which means my generals drop like flies. Just when they increase rank and you think they're getting somewhere, boom, they're dead. Awesome... NOT!

iii. Battle are just blob on blob, there's far less battle strategy than I've ever seen in any TW game, and I've been playing since the original Shogun. They just end up in a huge, blob on blob sh!t fight, where's the strategy in that??

iv. Do units get tired anymore? Who knows, they've dropped that all altogether!

v. Do units slow down according to the terrain? Apparently not, because they appear to advance up hills at lightning speed. Gone are the days of having a decent missile squad up the hill raining death, great, how fun?

vi. The new interface for combining units is appallingly bad, who the hell thought this garbage up? What was wrong with dragging and dropping, how can you go wrong with that? What where you thinking CA, FFS??

vii. Again, what the hell is up with food? I'm a master of Civ, the only compatible game. One of the best things about Civ is you know what you're going to get when you build something, or neglect to build something, it's all right there in the numbers. In Rome II, indeed most TW games, the 'economy' and 'food' remain completely ephemeral. You don't really have clue what's going on most of the time. Instead of planning your economy and carefully balancing your unit count with building upgrades, you're just running around fixing things after the fact, the entire time. Oh, that cities unhappy and the citizens are rioting, for no apparent reason! Who knows why these things happen in the TW universe, they just do, and there's sweet FA you can do to pre-empt it. This entirely reactionary approach means you're spending most of your time putting out spot fires, so to speak, instead of getting down to business and taking territory.

viii. The 'help tool' or dictionary isn't very helpful either.

ix. The unit cards are garbage, just more poorly presented, useless information.

x. And the AI... LOL, the poor old AI... I actually feel sorry for it, I really do. I'd buy this AI flowers and give it a hug, God knows it needs one. Easily the worst AI of any TW game I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

xi. No guard mode! WTF? How the hell could they have removed guard mode? So, now my units will midlessly chase down fleeing enemy instead of holding formation with the rest of my army? Great, more micro management, and they're actually saying the AI's improved in the marketing spiel? Can I get my money back for false advertising? I'd upload this crap back to Steam if I could.

xii. Very limited armies and units. In every other TW game you could field as many units and armies as your population could support, which was a lot. You could also divide up your armies as you liked; leave half to garrison the town, and take the rest out on an expedition to scout around... Not anymore, none of it, it's all gone, everything has been simplified specifically to cater for idiot noobs. What a sick joke.

I could go on... and on... it's a HUGE step back from Shogun II, a massive, unfathomable dumbing-down for casual gamers. All the years of technical and gameplay innovation and that led up to and was perfectly distilled in Shogun II is GONE. It's just GONE, forget about it, it may as well have never happened.

You know, there's a reason why EA has 'won' the worst corporation in America award two years in a row. They're greedy scum, and this is a prefect example. They've simply rehashed the old Rome, jazzed-up the graphics a bit, screwed-up the interface (severely), and sold it as something new. EA/CA have clearly attempted to 'casualize' one of the few remaining strategy franchises that had any depth, any soul left at all. Gone are the layers of depth and refinement forged over so many years and various iterations, in favour of streamlining and easy conversion to Xbox One. I mean, really, we all shoulda seen it coming, it was only a matter of time.

Well, shame on you CA for releasing this un-optimized filth, and shame on me for falling for the unbelievable marketing hype surrounding this absolute POS game.

Please, don't buy this game. Don't reward CA/EA for treating their customers like mugs and releasing a half finished product simply because they know we'll buy it. I pre-ordered it, but you have the benefit of reading posts and review such as this, honest reviews, not the paid-off drivel spouted by so many 'professional' review sites. Just don't do it, have some self control.

I'm going to try and get a refund through Paypal. Dispute opened...
  3. Sep 8, 2013
    The only people who like this game are the same type of people that liked Star Wars: Episode I when it came out.

::Greek States are DLC ("free" if you pre-ordered). That right there is a huge warning sign seeing as Greeks were very relevant in Roman history, but are sold as a DLC faction. ::Unit card art, although a cool concept, are not varied and small enough for the player's

::Unit card art, although a cool concept, are not varied and small enough for the player's peripheral vision. This is especially important seeing as they placed great emphasis on unit abilities; which feel more like activating abilities for your MMO character.

::I press enter to chat, but nothing happens. You have to open a separate chat box which takes up the already limited space on your screen. It should be easy and convenient.

::The battle flow doesn't feel right. The walking speed and double time speed don't match up. Units also rout too easily, but the rout doesn't affect nearby units enough.

::The graphics scale horribly. The lower settings for Rome 2 will look much worse than Shogun 2 at max.

::No guard mode or loose formation.

::No faction intro or agent videos.

::Terrible online balance. They made it way too easy to acquire powerful units, making for boring army compositions. Players who try to bring something different to the table will get punished. Army compositions usually consist of heavy melee infantry with cav, no ranged or specialty units.

I could go on and on.

Save your money. This isn't a kick starter project. I put a score of 2 for the cool animations, which is pretty much the only enjoyment I got out of this beta mix alpha.
  4. Sep 4, 2013
    So far the biggest disappointment of 2013. Instead of improving and adding new features to the game, CA made everything more casual. I don't understand all these talks about huge budget, this game is lame shadow of old TW games.

People don't buy this game. It is very bad!
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of total war series I played this series from Shogun total war which was relished in 2001 and I played this series non stop since than. So I thought I would write MY OPINION on this game!

I just want to say that Rome 2 is the disaster iv been waiting for this game for a long time and its a huge disappointment. Simply to say this game is NOT FINISHED! I would say that this game is between Alpha and beta stages.

1) Bad optimization (I think Arma 2 was better optimized than this game )
    2) Stupid Ai Medieval total war 2 had better AI)
    3) Bad UI Just my opinion )
    4) This is my PC Specs i7 4770k 3.5 8gb corsair vengeance Nvidia 770GTx 4gb ssd drive 500gb, and I could not enjoy this game at any graphic settings if you lower the settings, like say medium the game looks worst then medieval total war even on the extreme settings the game still looks bad! and it lags a lot! on any graphic setting!

5) The units move unrealistically fast when the combat starts and two armies clash at each other you won't be able to make out what is happening with your or enemy units because they just became a large moving blurb on the screen!

6) Loading times are extremely annoying

And the list of goes on..............

I don't understand why people are giving a positive review on this game? this game has a big potential but at this moment it is far away from been finished. By giving it a good reviews you guys are encouraging the game developers to publish the unfinished products!
  6. Sep 7, 2013
    The worse battles in any tw series. They added magic special buffs to this game, you click a button and magi adds morale or takes away fatigue, makes unit better at x and o etc. The game is just a click fest and even the largest battles are over in 2-3 minutes. units run around like gazelle,no strategy,no fun.
  7. Sep 4, 2013
    After I played 10 hours I would say:

-Bad AI,
    -Little armies,
    -Awful user interface.
    - Boring campaign
    -LAGS

55€ on steam is absolutely joke.
  8. Sep 3, 2013
    Rushed and clearly unfinished, Rome 2 Total War is a disastrous mess.

The game suffers from countless bugs, terrible AI, awful and inconsistent visuals a poor interface, and some of the worst optimization I've ever seen in a PC game. If you must buy this game do yourself and wait 3-4 months when the bugs have been worked out.
  9. Sep 4, 2013
    Review is based on the current release:
    Huge letdown and worst TW game ever made rolling on the hype of rome nothing more)
    Horrible UI and Layout: - too big unit cards and info windows (covers nearly 40 of the screen) - no artwork at all (looks like Windows reminds me of dragon age 2) Gameplay: - Poorly optimized waiting for turn to end ... - Poor region information on strat
    Review is based on the current release:
    Horrible UI and Layout:
    - too big unit cards and info windows (covers nearly 40 of the screen)
    - no artwork at all (looks like Windows reminds me of dragon age 2)
    Gameplay:
    - Poorly optimized waiting for turn to end ...
    - Poor region information on strat map
    - No family tree system
    - Poor tech tree.
    - No Rome era immersion.
    - Next to no tactical possibilites (no guard button, units do not hold lines, super quick battles just charge and forget. Moral system seem to be related to a unit only and does not effect nearby units at all.
    Most battles end in
  10. Sep 4, 2013
    I tried liking this game but I just don't, and it looks like I'm not the only one who feels let down by Rome II.

The graphics look amazing on the highest setting, but for some odd reason my GTX 660 can't handle more than medium graphics which makes the game look A LOT worse than Shogun 2, Napoleon and even Empire. Which doesn't make sense right?? I have no idea why that is, but it really takes away from the whole experience.

Biggest issue I have with the game though is the battles. In sieges no matter if you are attacking or defending the AI doesn't move, or if they do they just run around in circles...plane and simple, yet again the AI is beyond stupid.

I don't like where CA took the Total War series with Shogun 2, it was just too arcadish for my taste. CA promised this wouldn't be the case with Rome II, but here we are...most of my battles are over in 4 minutes and it's like watching Usain Bolt when the units are running.

This game is big disappointment.
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    I have enjoyed all of the total war games up until now. The biggest pain about this game is that it is virtually unplayable due to all the crashes and bugs. I have never been able to play this game for 30 minutes straight without crashing. AI is more stupid than it was in Empire. No Avatar mode which I liked in Shogun. For me developers are dead after this game.
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    Cash cow pure and simple.

Total war shogun 2 is far better.

dumb down UI and campaign.

No mmo multiplayer mode.

no campaign combat multiplayer mode.

Bad graphics.

THE STUPIDEST AI EVER at high speed u can see it just randomly moving in any direction to look like its alive.
  13. Sep 3, 2013
    It is broken. As per all CA games. They sell it to customers. Expect us to be the beta tester. Xmas comes about and people can buy the ready game at half the price...

In all srs. They should not be allowed to do this time after time. They need to spend some of the preorder money on testing/optimisation. I will not be buying any CA game again. And this comes from an avid total war

I will not be buying any CA game again. And this comes from an avid total war gamer since the beginning.
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    This game failed its Total War predecessors. It is too fast paced, it´s hard to actually "feel" the game and immerse in to it, because of the new campaign, in which you just don´t give a what happens next. Diplomacy is ok but could stil use improvement (especially the trade agreements).
    But the battles! Oh my god, they suck balls. Even with high tier units, the battles tend to last at max like 5 minutes, and I am talking about 4000 against 4000 men battles. Every battle, be it an ambush, siege, or whatever, just ends in a Giant Big Blob. And the AI in siege battles, which was supposed to be really good, is freaking horrible! All the AI does is just rushes towards the Central Point. All hail the Central Point! All hail the worst game in the series! But seriously, let´s just pray for a patch. Unfortunately I believe, that there are just too many problems, that it will either take a year to be repaired, or won´t ever see the improvement.
  15. Jan 2, 2014
    Gamers please, do not listen to paid off "reviewers!"
    Gamers please, do not listen to paid off "reviewers!"
    Notice the latest trend of "big name" reviewers (gamespot, gamefront,pcgamer,IGN etc) are LYING right into your face with their bought and paid game reviews. They are corrupt and they are not telling the truth. It seem to become a trend now, forcing thousands off their websites who doesn't agree and keep lying! They are paid off by the companies, who release a mess of codes and call it a game! You are buying trash! You are buying unplayable trash! It's time to punish these companies and their paid off reviewers by not going to their sites and not buying the games! One of the sites just about the name Rome Total War Rome 2 as "Game of the Year" while 4 patches ahead, the game is still unplayable!
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    What a piece of garbage. There are no words to express how much I regret buying this game. It's probably the most unstable piece of software I've ever owned, and regularly crashes in between turns. If that wasn't bad enough, it absolutely slogs on a GTX 680 x2 SLI, 4.5ghz i7 machine. We're talking framerates in the high 20's on the world map. Yes, you read that correctly; even the worldWhat a piece of garbage. There are no words to express how much I regret buying this game. It's probably the most unstable piece of software I've ever owned, and regularly crashes in between turns. If that wasn't bad enough, it absolutely slogs on a GTX 680 x2 SLI, 4.5ghz i7 machine. We're talking framerates in the high 20's on the world map. Yes, you read that correctly; even the world map has a crappy framerate. I would have returned this game for a refund already, but I foolishly purchased it through Steam, who like Creative Assembly, has no respect for their customers and has instituted an unconscionable rule against ever giving refunds. Lesson well learned on my end. Expand
  17. Sep 3, 2013
    -----------Vote this game down----------

If you have ever been a fan of this series it is your obligation to vote this game down so CA understands that we are no longer going to put up with --consistently-- broken products that take upwards of 6 months to fix. -And the AI still sucks? 10+ years later? Hundreds of millions in revenue later? You still cant hire someone competent enough
    -----------Vote this game down----------

-And the AI still sucks? 10+ years later? Hundreds of millions in revenue later? You still cant hire someone competent enough to make a game more challenging than pong? Modders can do it but your entire development team cannot?

-It only takes 30 seconds to create an account through your email but the damage you can do to CA's sales will last a lifetime. Make them think twice before they try to pull this ONCE AGAIN. A game that has any flaws does not deserve a 10/10! Not one bug!
    -Take a stand against this kind of robbery
    You can drastically impact CAs revenue by voting games down on metacritic.

-----Vote this down!-----
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    It is my first Total War game and I was looking forward to enjoy it very much. Oh god... this is terrible game. Not only bugs and glitches annoy me. Every aspect of the game looks unfinished. It has the dumbest AI I ever saw.

3/10. Hate this game
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    Do not buy this product. It is unfinished, and is simply a re-skinning of a game that launched many, many years ago. The bugs and issues with the old game (Rome 1) have not been fixed some of them have actually gotten worse!

This was an over-hyped product that was never finished, properly tested, or suitable for release. Perhaps a year from now it might be worth looking at again.
  20. Sep 15, 2013
    Dear customers, you've been brainwashed by the marketing team.At least they're doing their job properly ...but we know its Rome Total MESS !!
    Two steps backwards for the Total War franchise and a well orchestrated PR campaign releasing a broken product that is not fit for purpose like ..robbing people? CA you should be ashamed Not only they have removed features for no other reason than to attempt a horrid console cashgrab, but the features that DO remain have been completely dumbed down, broken and ruined.How can you mark a game so highly when its literally a broken game that's unfinished as well as missing all of the series features?How?
  21. TNT
    Sep 4, 2013
    Piece of junk!!! Looks nothing like the quality of the game we see in the trailers. The game is clearly unfinished. The textures look absolutely awful even on extreme settings, the AI is even worse.
  22. Sep 4, 2013
    One word describes this game 'souless'. It's boring and you don't feel connected to anything in the game at all. Compared to the original Rome this is horrible garbage, this game is rubbish!! Waited 10 years since Rome 1 for this pile of RS 2.6 is much more enjoyable than this. Anyone who is scoring this game a 10 is either a brain dead moronic drone or paid advertising. From the start ofOne word describes this game 'souless'. It's boring and you don't feel connected to anything in the game at all. Compared to the original Rome this is horrible garbage, this game is rubbish!! Waited 10 years since Rome 1 for this pile of RS 2.6 is much more enjoyable than this. Anyone who is scoring this game a 10 is either a brain dead moronic drone or paid advertising. From the start of writing this review i have seen the positive reviews rise from around 55 to 161 in the space of a few mins, yeah right... and good on all those review sites who probably didn't even play the game who gave it a good score, Empire mark II... Expand
  23. Sep 4, 2013
    I am a big fan of Total War series, I bought every single game&dlc up to date. But I will never buy anything from CA. Rome II is a real disappointment. It's developed for 12 years old retarded CoD players.

- Combat is too fast paced. Thousand of men die in a few minutes and even the most crowded battles are over in 3-4 minutes. (No I am serious) No tactics, no flanking, no retreating etc...
    - It's rushed. CA didn't even try to optimize it. Textures are like crap and it's laggy. It looks nothing like trailers.
    - They promised to support low end computers and laptops but it's not even working on high end PC's.
    - Navies are pointless. Your armies can just march into the sea and 20 ships will magically appear to transport them. They can easily destroy most of the warships.
    - They have removed a lot of useful features from past games.
    - It's an over-simplistic arcade-like game. Special abilities are terrible.
    - Day one dlc.
    - İncredibly stupid AI
    - Stupid UI made for consoles. (feel free to not believe this, you will see.)
    - No family tree, no veteran units, nothing we know from good old Total War games.

I can expand this list but I am bored of this game. Sorry for grammar mistakes, I am not a native speaker
  24. Sep 3, 2013
    I have played this series since 2004 and i am shocked this game is so bad.It is essentially a reskinned Shogun II that manages to run worse,look worse and feel worse even when they had a massive amount of money which seems to have went on PR and false reviews

Firstly the promise of slower grittier battles never happened and battles are so fast they are over in no time at all giving the user a huge load time wait and feeling underwhelmed.Units are also quite small and unmoddable at around 160 per unit.And the unit movement speeds are just insane with horses running with wild cheetas.There is a huge ugly and intrusive UI blocking most of the up close action when you control 40 units which is supposed to be a huge new feature.

Horrible AI also seems to plague the series again with dumb beach landings forcing the player to wait for every unit to dis embark before being allowed to give orders while the enemy attacks for disembarking forces.

The game lao seems so fast paced and dumbed down with so many flashing icons and instructions you would think it was designed for a ten year old.The game also lacks any kind of historical accuracy with laughable roman testudo formations and unrealistic phalanx formations.The massive unit spacing between soldiers means the testudo has huge gaps and paltry shield protection.And on the topic of shields the new hitpoint system now means that shields only act as a HP increase and once low a slingers stone can kill someone even behind a shield.Units also never seem to die in one hit due to this system.You must also be prepared to witness men flying in the air when hit by horses and chariots giving the whole game a messy and arcade feel which is devoid of grit or accuracy.

The performance is also shameful on high end computers and a note of caution SLI DOES NOT WORK and might never work.This game is single cards only and seems to barely use available GPU power.Only 70% load on a GTX 680 and sub 30 frames per second is simply unacceptable.

This is but a small fraction of issues listed so i gave them a score of one due to the over rated reviews and need to balance the metacritic score so people know just how much of a failure this game has been and how much money was wasted on PR instead of game development and high quality programmers.
  25. Sep 4, 2013
    Long time C.A fan, a great company that is unfortunately moving backwards. This game which I'm sure by March next year might be working is sadly broken in it's present state. Testers should actually bring another laptop or tower in to work and check how this runs on different systems before release, I feel for those fools who pre-ordered this mess with the DLC, I for one will not beLong time C.A fan, a great company that is unfortunately moving backwards. This game which I'm sure by March next year might be working is sadly broken in it's present state. Testers should actually bring another laptop or tower in to work and check how this runs on different systems before release, I feel for those fools who pre-ordered this mess with the DLC, I for one will not be trusting C.A and their paid for reviews in future. Furthermore it really calls into question those publications and their credibility in future. Shogun 2 was great but the series NEEDS to take a step forward, the strategic map needs some more depth, that part of the game could take a lot out of Fallen Enchantress L.H book, some random events, depth and developing storylines could be a step forward, but C.A just keeps on simplifying things and in turn the games are becoming shallow and boring. Revolution, evolution and creative thinking seem to be lacking in their team, Empire has still got so many problems after all these years that haven't been dealt with that I wonder if this screw-up could be a serious nail in their coffin. I have a lot of respect for what they have done over the years, but they knew how busted this was as should've been put back or Beta tested before asking people to spend $60 on an unfinished product. Relying on unpaid modders and fans to make their games enjoyable, stable and playable is shockingly bad from a company with such a following and I for one am disappointed to have waited so long for this. Reading some of these reviews is just as shocking though. At the end of the day it is just a game, not the end of the world and people should not be so dramatic. I understand peoples anger at paying so much for a turkey, but you really have to learn from having your fingers burnt, don't buy the DLC, stop supporting an uncreative company, be vocal in where you want the series to go (three kingdoms please!) and they will hopefully turn things round and give us a great blockbuster to bring the fans back. If all those fanboys and sheep give this 10's when it clearly doesn't deserve them are holding the development of this series back. If we want a challenging, gripping, impressive forward step in the next game, we have to send the message that they are going backwards and alienating their fan-base. Come on C.A, step up to the plate... Expand
  26. Sep 6, 2013
    A well orchestrated PR campaign (congratulations on that CA!) and promises of a game well made and an incentive of 1 additional free DLC and people buy the game. Then, fans (me) complain it is different and broken, so some patches and a ton of paid DLC's later CA is far more income sturdier than just issuing a game upfront properly.

CA is completely capable of making their games

CA is completely capable of making their games playable, modders like dartvader proved they can do it on their own but it is not a good business proposition. There is no development to be done anymore. And development means income and jobs. Tell me again, why do it properly and then be out of a years to come long business?! Unfortunately for me, only now I fully realized this.

Turning now on the PR campaign we have been promised graphics outstanding with soldiers faces showing horror as enemies attack. This is not the case. Will be though ...a DLC later. We have been expecting some blood and wear and tear of armor and weapons after the battle as seen in the pictures of their PR campaign and as we read in reviews. Again, it is not yet the case, but will be... a DLC later.
    Right now a soldier looks the same before and after the battle.
    We know Romans had archers but there are no archer units in Rome 2 rooster. We all want them as it is stupid to fight with stone slingers in a fiercesome war machine ...a DLC later.

Got the point?

For this reason CA bolstered that Rome2 is a huge platform with unlimited potential for the future. And it is truly a cash making machine as long there are fans. I'm gone.

Believe it or not, the people actually programming the game are not fans of the series. They do not understand the subtleties of the game and this is proven by the fact that they invested in graphics a lot more while "simplifying" the game play and micromanagement, making thus the game dull. To them it seems normal an unmanned tower is raining arrows on the attacking force?! Realism?
    They did not see the point of the defensive position in the unit's orders and just took it out. Why? Because the programmer who did this in the previous series isn't working or in charge of that particular development and the new guy did not see the point anymore. Or, maybe it is pointless for consoles.

We have to take into account that CA evolved in the last 10 years also. Many new people came and old ones went. This team is not the one who launched Medieval 2 and the previous games. It was visible from the launch of Empire where the bugs started piling up, to this date. It seems they do not play the games they are programming.

Now, back to us, the fans. We have also evolved. Many of us are fans of the series since Rome 1 or Shogun 1. This was say back in 2004 and we were then 18. That makes us 28 years old now. We don’t play games like then.
    We like to think, use strategy and want to see realism and feel it. We don't like fast and easy battles won. We like positions and tactics and planning an empire right. We like BAI and CAI that is challenging, diplomacy that makes sense, we like to develop our regions, muster armies (as many as we like and afford) and to be challenged. We need for that an immersive game in both strategy and game play.
    Here lies the subtlety that CA did not grasp.

We also like stunning graphics and can afford top notch PC's. We can spend money if we feel we get what we want.

But right now, I don't. I feel tricked by a PR campaign promising everything there was in the series and more and delivering... a different and broken thing.
    Deceiving your customers is generally bad bussiness practice, may work here and now but not on the long run.

Looking at the above, my feel is that CA cannot deliver the game play we want anymore. They can create a platform but that's it. For that reason modders like darthvader appeared and made from a jerky, fort lagging and stupid humpty dumpty style Empire a nice playable game. Same goes for Napoleon and Shogun 2. The crowning achievement of the modding community is Shogun 2 darthmod. From here, looking down on Rome 2 seems a huge step back.

There are so many issues to be addressed speaking about the game from a game play perspective like armies cannot be split up, armies embarking on nonexistent ships transports, reduced tech tree, UI non intuitive, melees extremely fast, units routing extremely quick one has no time to zoom in to see the fight, not holding formations etc. that it makes no sense to write all here. Just read the posts on Metacritic or Steam.
    Forget the technical problems, they will be fixed eventually but concept issues will not.

This game will be playable for us maybe in 1-2 years from now when modding people like darthvader and the many others will have corrected some of the game play issues if they will exist for this game.

From my perspective I am truly sorry to have bought this game now, because I supported this strategy CA is implementing and I destroyed my hopes of a great game. A dumbed down game it is.
  27. Sep 3, 2013
    Definitely a let down in regards to pushing for new mechanics and interesting gameplay aspects for the TW series. Not to mention the abysmal performance and countless graphical and stability issues. I have to use two third party programs to even make the game playable. Shiftwindow to bypass texture issues (The OFFICIAL fix from CA...) and cursorlock because CA Fails to add region lock toDefinitely a let down in regards to pushing for new mechanics and interesting gameplay aspects for the TW series. Not to mention the abysmal performance and countless graphical and stability issues. I have to use two third party programs to even make the game playable. Shiftwindow to bypass texture issues (The OFFICIAL fix from CA...) and cursorlock because CA Fails to add region lock to their games. Their previous title, Shogun II, showed huge improvements to their gameplay and strategic flow, of which Rome II has little of. The new AI seems to have the potential to be a challenging opponent but normally just bugs out and does nothing, runs around after a worthless cav unit the whole battle, or charges their general right into the wall of spears right off the bat. I wanted to love this game, but CA seems to have taken to their old habits again, a pity. Expand
  28. Sep 4, 2013
    Rome Total War II!
    Rome Total War II!
    You dissapointed me greatly. I am a big fan of the total war series and I have longed for you since God-knows-when. But yesterday, you let me down greatly. Unlike what CA showed and promised in their huge campaign, you are a mess of lots of semmingly good things. Because I love the previous total war games so much, let me leave you some comment on the 4 hours I spent on you yesterday:
    - Too many unnecessary changes about the managing tabs. The back ground of the tabs is dark and unattractive. The tech tree is broken and inconvenient to use. The city management is confusing and un-focusing. If in the previous games, I know precisely what I can get from getting up a certain building and therefore can plan my strategy for each province, now I know no longer, every thing I build, I have no idea what use would it be for my strategy.
    - The management of generals is dreadful. If in shogun, your generals add a huge value to your strategy and the managing tabs look so classical for shogun, here in Rome 2, because the game pace is so damn slow and the time past so fast, no general can survive more than 40 turns which is really not a lot considering the size of the map and the number of turns it would take to conquering just 1/4 of it. This all make general insignificant and just a sad unnecessary feature plus the managing tabs looks awful.
    - Recruitment is too goddam easy and fast and it makes the game boring.
    - the agents despite the interesting marketing story made up by CA, seem insignificant.
    - The strategy side of the game is slow, energy lacking and boring,
    - the tactic side has a lot of bugs and it does not show the unique characters of each nation army. though I ve just tried rome and sparta, both of which by the way are famous for their high military disciplines, in battle they just run into enemy army like mob. my phalanx keeps un-phalanxing every sec and just charge straight ahead with their swords without even a care of keeping formation. If in Shogun II, flanking, attacking from behind and timing are so crucial to defeat the enemy and the suspense atmosphere you have in battle and the victorious feeling after defeating a legendary-army, all of which makes total war games so enjoyable, in rome II you dont have any of those feeling and brainy features anymore.
    AND THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT I FEEL NO CONNECTION WITH MY GAME, NOT AT ALL. CA PAYS TOO MUCH ATTENTION ON MAKING THIS GAME LOOK NICE BUT CLEARLY THEY PAY LEAST ATTENTION ON MAKING THEM NICE.
    A LOT ON MARKETING AND SHOWING OFF BUT THE REAL CONTENT IS UNDER-DEVELOPED AND CARELESSLY MADE.

A huge let-down in general
  29. Jan 29, 2015
    I disliked the game because of the combat mostly. It just feels so weird and fake compared to the older titles (Medieval 2, Rome I). I can't really put my finger on it, but the battles just feel bad, the blobbing, the collisions, nothing feels or looks good... In M2 when your cav charged into the flanks of the enemy army, it felt impactful and snappy. In this game it looks very week andI disliked the game because of the combat mostly. It just feels so weird and fake compared to the older titles (Medieval 2, Rome I). I can't really put my finger on it, but the battles just feel bad, the blobbing, the collisions, nothing feels or looks good... In M2 when your cav charged into the flanks of the enemy army, it felt impactful and snappy. In this game it looks very week and not epic in any way whatsoever. Also, the AI acts very weirdly sometimes and generally feels like no progress has been done in that regard. All in all, not feeling this installation of TW. Expand
  30. Sep 4, 2013
    I used to play Rome Total War 1 a lot and it's an excellent game. Rome 2 however is terrible. Game looks like dirty beta or alpha because it is very buggy The game design is too plain simple and boring compared to Rome 1. UI just looks ugly. Campaign map is very casual with many things removed.

I would like to get a refund.
  31. Sep 7, 2013
    Ok so First off the performance issues. I had none initially and was able to run the game on ultra with no problems (speaking of which the graphics are good but not what was advertised). However they have released a patch and since then the game has been unplayably laggy for me on the battle map end.
    Next, the AI is terrible, for example, running through your units to capture points in battles where you defend cities. GG Instant win for you. When your attacking cities they will stand still and let you shoot them to death. GG another insta win. Field battles the AI does better but the Macedon preview battle where they stressed its intelligence was HUGELY exaggerated. Also I should note that battles are incredibly short with units routing within seconds of entering melee. Its so bad that you cant really use flanks and ambushes because your frontal units will route before you could possibly spring a trap. It feels very arcade like.
    Campaign mode suffers from a great many bugs and broken features. You cant attack a town who's port is blockaded by a neutral faction, transport ships will crush early navies, mixed land and sea battles have had forts spawning in the middle of the ocean with the AI bugging out and trying to run into the sea to name a few.
    The tech tree is pointless and feels like a last minute add on. The AI's diplomacy makes decisions that often are against its own best interest. Just a lot of general nonsense. Essentially I feel like this game has gone the way of Empire, something I hoped would never happen again, but it is worse in many ways. Like Empire I imagine that a year from now with patches and whatnot it will be an amazing game. But I have to review it as is not as it may be a year from now. And at this time its honestly a glorified beta. Indeed had they had an open (or broad closed) beta I feel many of these problems could have been avoided pre launch.
    Ignore the critic reviews as they were based on pre released builds which were clearly cherry picked. Wait a year and buy this game from a steam sale or bargain bin. And for the love of god someone tell the fan boys to stop giving this 10 ratings to give the score a false boost, all it does is encourage CA to release a game in this sad state again in the future.
  32. Sep 4, 2013
    Ignore the people with underpowered pcs! said every 10 out of 10 review ever
    Ignore the people with underpowered pcs! said every 10 out of 10 review ever
    I built my pc last month using brand new parts and it cost me a total of £1500 and this game still runs terrible. Not only that but the graphical bugs are extreme and the countless other problems. This really is a shame because i was looking forward to Rome 2 for years. Ether the chance of getting good performance is random or there's a lot of people lying about having 5 year old pcs and i can run this on ultra with smooth fps Shame on CA. Have they learned nothing?
  33. Sep 4, 2013
    For the love of god DON'T BUY IT! This game is a failure on so many levels.

As a Total War veteran (have bought and extensively played other games starting from first shogun), I really could not be more disappointed.
    Every developer has had a big miss, and CA has their first huge miss. In my opinion, even Empire was far better game.
  34. Sep 4, 2013
    Full of bugs and multilayer is a joke when compared to shogun 2, I have been looking forward to this game for a year and I have now lost all confidence with the total war franchise now.
  35. Sep 4, 2013
    Sorry to do this CA but I feel I am obligated, now I'm not going to whine about all the bugs/AI/UI/Graphics/diplomacy/all that other crap since everyone else has that covered. I have to say that the game fails for me in some of the things it tried to do and make the game much worse. For one there is an annoying army cap and to try to transfer units between armies requires both being nextSorry to do this CA but I feel I am obligated, now I'm not going to whine about all the bugs/AI/UI/Graphics/diplomacy/all that other crap since everyone else has that covered. I have to say that the game fails for me in some of the things it tried to do and make the game much worse. For one there is an annoying army cap and to try to transfer units between armies requires both being next to each other making it a huge hassle. Also the generals all have the same stats and even if one dies he gets replaced immediately so there is no worry if your heir or entire family for that matter gets slaughtered as they will be quickly replaced by people out of thin air equally as good. Next sieges are a huge pain as the attackers take attrition loses (and sometimes the defenders, huh? so your besieging units overall are weaker and then the enemy's garrison force which is usually quite large. All of that would be okay if it weren't that when they come to attack you have to defend a flag out in the middle of a field and you can lose a match that you'd otherwise win (as you routed 90% of the enemy) but lose just because of a flag. Which in turn creates an arcade style game with the force with more people usually winning. Additionally with as fast as units move battles are over within 5 min or so usually, and your reinforcements rarely make it in time to help defend that flag. Now enough of my the game does succeed in having cool land/sea battles, the capture points in cities are cool, and I like the diverse factions all with really different units, but with all the other faults and half -baked ideas I just don't much care for it. I would personally give it a 6/10 but to more impress the point and to counteract the 10's (you can't give a ten to a game with glaring bugs even if you know they'll be fixed, you're reviewing it as is). So please CA I still believe in you, make a game I would like to play...

P.S. Just a little thought if you want another strategy game that actually is good out of the box and definitely will get better, try paradox's EU IV, it's sad when paradox a company known for half-baked games latest game came out so much better.
  36. Sep 3, 2013
    Where to start? Well not a whole lot of technical problems can't run it at ultra but already knew that.

Problems are many mainly don't feel part of the game like in older TW games were you controlled most everything and interaction with the game made you feel part of it. Not going to happen here feel no connection with my faction at all. Avatars are the ugliest I have seen in 10

Avatars are the ugliest I have seen in 10 years they are that bad and when they talk they just open and close their mouths do not even remotely connect to the speech.

It took two years to sail from Rome to the other side of Corsica. I think my army would have starved. The 1 year turn sucks.

The battles I will say the units respond better and pathing is much better in this release. The biggest problem with battles is they are over in like 3 to 6 mins. The units make contact 30 seconds later one or the other is running.

The biggest let down though is the lack of feel part of the game that has always been something I loved about TW and it just doesn't exist here. The technology tree went backwards and is not interesting at all. The city control is bad and not interesting at all. Raising armies is way to easy and being connected to a General is stupid. With one year turns and taking two to land and army on Corsica there is no way in hell I will ever get to enjoy the huge world.

In the end I don't really care if I go back to playing or not there is no excitement like "Wow I need to go to the store ok one more hour I will go!" Nah I leave the game all time have really no care if I play it or not most likely will too see if it gets better but with already many turns gone I doubt it.
  37. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing every single Total War game since its release i am incredibly disappointed with this release. There are many positives (scope, graphics, traditions, unit types, increased diplomacy) yet somehow by importing these features in the developers have lost so much of the Total War basics that it is actually massively shocking. The PR for this game was excellent and we were told thatAfter playing every single Total War game since its release i am incredibly disappointed with this release. There are many positives (scope, graphics, traditions, unit types, increased diplomacy) yet somehow by importing these features in the developers have lost so much of the Total War basics that it is actually massively shocking. The PR for this game was excellent and we were told that the developers had the biggest budget ever for a Total War game. With that in mind the fact that your 'epic battles' can be over in a couple of minutes due to poor testing of the combat system and units formations crumble when they meet an opposing force and battle lines turn into blobs is ridiculous. Also the campaign map, as beautiful as it is it has been dumbed down, no longer do you build farms and see farms appear upgraded on the map (Shogun 2) but you do see your cities get bigger. So big in fact that they take up a stupid amount of space. I appreciate as a Total War fanatic i could come across snobby, the mechanics of this game are really good. The game itself though has been released unfinished and unworthy of the epic reviews it has been given by the press. My thoughts are that they probably are not Total War fans and not played the previous titles. Playing the game for the first time id imagine it might appear pretty amazing but believe me, its not. This will need sorting out by the amazing Total War modding community and they don't even get paid for it. Thanks CA, i can only presume your next title will be even worse after this. Expand
  38. Sep 4, 2013
    Genuinely awful game. I only gave it 1 because I suppose they've done some work on graphics but clearly nothing else. The website/magazine reviews have been bought and paid for again so ignore completely. Any user giving this 5 or higher is an idiot/child/idiot child and should be ignored completely.

This game has absolutely zero depth. The AI is rubbish of the highest order, yet you will still spend most of your time waiting for the game to take the AI turns, even on decent rigs. The UI is horrendous and displays info in a painful fashion. Each turn is a pointless exercise in building things that create food and reduce order, then building things that raise order and reduce food. The "tactical" aspect is laughable and battles rarely last more than 5-8 minutes and consist of a series of insta-routs. Defensive battles now have a capture point rendering all tactical thinking irrelevant.

Total War games (and I've played them all) have never been what you would call strategy masterpieces, but CA have somehow managed to remove every single aspect of decision making and choice from this. If you enjoy strategy can I suggest you play chess or Europa Universalis IV because Rome II is crap of the highest order.

If I can help stop even 100 people from buying this then I'll be happy. TBH, this game wouldn't even be worth pirating.
  39. Sep 4, 2013
    I am very disappointed. It seems they removed many things from the game:

- missing wonderful Avatar mode from Shogun 2

- economic system very simplified and lacksdepth

- testudo also missing, it was in Rome 1

- no family tree means no atmospheric roleplay

in addtion to this: tons of bugs, poor optimization, really bad AI, very poor unintuitive UI.

Not worth $60. Poor game.
  40. Sep 14, 2013
    Dear oh dear oh dear. What a complete shambles. It's not that there are bugs in this game; sadly that's par for the course these days. It's not that the turn ends take far too long; in fact, everything takes far too long, for too little benefit. It's not even that it's lost a lot of the attractive features of previous games in the series in the name of streamlining; change has toDear oh dear oh dear. What a complete shambles. It's not that there are bugs in this game; sadly that's par for the course these days. It's not that the turn ends take far too long; in fact, everything takes far too long, for too little benefit. It's not even that it's lost a lot of the attractive features of previous games in the series in the name of streamlining; change has to happen and that's fair enough. It's that the end result is a complete, unplayable, mess.

Bad AI? Check. Poor performance? Check. Dire documentation? Check. Poorly designed new features? Check. Lack of balance? Check. Lack of usability? Check. This game is a textbook example of how NOT to design a game. That they took such a good series and somehow turned it into this deserves some sort of award. Preferably the sort that involved unemployment.

Don't bother buying it now; wait a couple of months and you'll find it in the bargain basement at $5, which frankly would still be overpriced.
  41. Sep 4, 2013
    We just bought a console port.
    I redact my 2 out of 10 and give a 0 out of 10 for lies and trickery.
    Look for Rome 2 on PS4 and Xbox One.
    I really wish I hadn't preordered this game.
    Facepalms.
  42. Sep 4, 2013
    Huge disappointment. Rome 2 is very bad game with expensive marketing campaign. Gameplay is boring and loses almost in every aspect to first Rome which was released 10 years ago!
  43. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This one should be called Rome II or Rome II casual war doing a cap limit and do not even let the player have the number of army he want just drop down the total war mention I do not experienced any graphical issues but doing this game for being more realistic Just moving an army into water and poping it into a boat that sound not realistic at any point just a bunch of worst thinking that casual will have a great time of non thinking anything and enjoing a Star craft II from CA.Was quite impressed by shogun 2 total war battles fast with energy with a good feel on what your armies is doing, there is nothing, men full of bronze equipement run faster than ninja and kill so fast you hadn't any time to appreciate it seriously I really hope for a mod that retunr some point of this game to a rome 1 total war i didn't paid a game to play the way developper want to, i paid a game to play it and enjoy it the way i want Seeing 10/10 make me feel they havn't never played a total war game before or they not yet found the cap limit haha More people must come here to claim their dissatisfaction spending 60 bucks in this open beta game Expand
  44. Sep 4, 2013
    The official review score is a total shame. The gamer's review score is closer to reality and it should even be a much lower score. Same old philosoply coming from Sega is a real disappointment. Selling an unfinished product is totally unacceptable. The game is a bug in itself. It will mess up your computer and slow down anything you do with it.

I can't even finish a prologue because

I can't even finish a prologue because games crashes. UI looks horrible.
  45. Sep 4, 2013
    This is a really bad game. I bought it, and I was all excited, but there are so many bugs and the gameplay is boring. Very disappointing game to actually play. Crashes all the time for me as I get into the middle stages of the campaign game. The AI is silly.

I don't want to play it anymore. Give me back my money SEGA!
  46. Sep 7, 2013
    I can't believe a company with Creative Assembly's history and pedigree and resources could sell me a $60 game so technically sloppy, so unfocused, so uninspired. Rome I was a brilliant game. Way to celebrate that feat by publishing this junk.
  47. Sep 4, 2013
    NEG: Too low morale, too fast unit movements & batttle speed, cluster-building, not keeping formations, 1-2 minutes waiting time after every turn, stupid AI. Battles hardly last longer than 4 minutes, it's a joke.

POS: Province system, graphics, factions

Summary: 2 points. Very disappointing
  48. Sep 3, 2013
    I have been a fan if the series since the very first game. CA burned us with ETW and Shogun 2 but we still trusted them, still believed. When Rome 2 was announced I was incredibly excited.

Now that it's been released? Far from it. All I feel is disappointment. One of my biggest disappointments is the lack if features we all loved from previous games in the series. Most notably the

Most notably the family system/deep character traits. There is no family tree or way to keep up with what is going on with your faction leader. You don't see if he is married, you can't and do not get marriage proposals (at least I have not and I am 62 turns in...) but you can make them to "interesting characters" and it's as if you offered up some invisible female from your faction of which you have an unlimited amount when my faction leader dies literally some random guy pops up that I am not notified about to replace him. He's from my family, apparently, yet I do not know if he is my previous faction leader's son, brother, uncle, dog. Can't see if he has kids, nothing.

Feature in half-assed, game is half-assed. I am done with you, CA. Two times now I was disappointed and I still believed and defended you and your games. No more, not with how badly you have mucked up Rome 2. Adding features in one game and the removing them in the next among all the other issues: poor optimization, lag even on powerful machines, AI fails. How many more times until you actually fix it?

Done with this. Rockstar are the only devs I still trust now and respect. They always deliver, listen to their FANS and make great games that aren't half-assed. Once GTA V releases Rome 2 can step back with all its disappointment.
  49. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is horrible and total disrespect to customers. Amount of bugs is terrific, graphics look much worse than Shogun 2(released in 2011 Many gameplay features were removed. Oh god.. this game look very bad even comparing with Rome 1. Shame on you Creative Assembley!
  50. Sep 4, 2013
    Buggy piece of crap is all this is. I just hate buying a game that gets ratings of 10's from major magazines and sites only to find out the game is less fun than checkers. AI is HORRIBLE and too many bugs for me. anyone that says different is a fanboy because Rome 2 is BUGGY as heck for EVERYONE. AVOID!!
  51. Sep 4, 2013
    Let me start off this review by saying that I am not new to Total War. I have payed and own Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, Empire: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Total War: Shogun 2, and now Total War: Rome II. Out of all those games Rome: Total War was my all time favorite Total War Game. I don't know if it was just my affectionLet me start off this review by saying that I am not new to Total War. I have payed and own Shogun: Total War, Rome: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, Empire: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Total War: Shogun 2, and now Total War: Rome II. Out of all those games Rome: Total War was my all time favorite Total War Game. I don't know if it was just my affection towards Roman culture or if I just enjoyed being in charge of one of the largest empires that the Mediterranean sea has ever seen.

After discovering my favorite game and playing it for many years after I finally purchased Total War: Shogun 2. Though the game was quite a bit different from Rome I, I found it quite interesting the way that the game graphics changed after so many years. I did like how the units added that "rock, paper, scissors" effect. affect making some units strong, or weak, to other units. This make it just a bit harder to dominate other players. I did have quite a distaste for the new total tax system that they implemented. Even though they added this system, they still allowed player to see a total breakdown of how the economy and happiness worked in each providence. And if a player was having trouble keeping their income in the green, they could choose not to tax that providence. But one thing I still cant figure out is where does the Daimyo keeps his chair?

When I heard about the release of Total War:Rome II I did not jump the gun and pre-order it right a way. Instead I did research about the game, most of which i would find out to be a official lie. After months I pre-ordered it until about 9 hours away from release. I was not able to play the game until after returned home (close to noon). When I first started campaign mode, I am not going to lie I had high hopes for this game. I was quickly put down. When I started it took me over 1 hour just for figure out how to get my generals out and start moving, I was playing as Athens and I was trying to see what special units I had. No need to spend 1 hour looking there are practically no difference between faction and their units. During that hour I sorta saw how to manage taxes. I though that it was for each territory that you owned. after I moved 3 of my generals to one of my neighboring territories and found out that you can not have more than one general in a army. I took the city and went to repair it, because i though it would be similar to Shogun II due to the campaign interface, by the way it is not. After that I realized that I was not able to manage taxes on an individual level but on a faction level. This would make it easy for those who just like to click the "end turn" button, but for experienced players, like my self where who like to micro manage every country to bring out the optimal profit from every country with out having to bring down all the total taxes because your new territory is unhappy with you taking over. I have since played over 7 hours trying to play this game and try to find a way to make it playable for players who want strategy. I have to agree with other player about the AI being one of the worst AI i have ever played with. I could list thousands of thing wrong with the AI but I will not in this review. Sadly I had any issues running ultra graphics on my computer. Probably because I have about 2.5 thousand US dollars invested in my custom build performance computer. So I have not experienced any lag, but i have noticed patches that come up un-rendered from time to time. I do not see the detail that they promised they would have in this game, even on ultra mode. The battle load times have been as long as they were in Shogun II in my option. but really... Units should not move that fast ever. To fix this issue for the most part you have to manually change the game speed down. This game is by far one of that saddest excesses for a Total War game that I have every seen. They should have produced a better quality product and when they overemphasize this being a tactics and strategy game, they better live up to what they say.

I would not get this game for obvious reasons, underdeveloped, crippled AI, lacking diverse units, basic "cookie cutter" units for every faction, not even roman archers (which Romans had), there are so many critics hyping up this game, and painful campaign interface.

There are only a few reason why critics would give this game a good review,
    1) They were paid and given a basic script to reword
    2) They must have been given the full copy of the game that no one else tends to have.
    3)They got the game and spend very little (under 10 minutes) looking at the game or just watched the trailer

Don't buy this game if you can help it, it is not worth it right now. I do not think even a mod could save this game from this painful interface. I

I rate this game low because that is where I feel it is, not because someone pays me.
  52. Sep 4, 2013
    I never did this before but I've had such a horrible experience with this game that I could not help myself. First and the most infuriating of all is the AI. The units are often unresponsive to your commands and when you do manage go get them to do what you want they usually have terrible pathing. Next is the optomization. I don't know if it's just my computer or what but it lags as hell.I never did this before but I've had such a horrible experience with this game that I could not help myself. First and the most infuriating of all is the AI. The units are often unresponsive to your commands and when you do manage go get them to do what you want they usually have terrible pathing. Next is the optomization. I don't know if it's just my computer or what but it lags as hell. I have pretty good rig. This game was rushed out or something but it feels unfinished and it is almost unplayable in it's current state. I will not be buying any more total war games in the future. Expand
  53. Sep 4, 2013
    Well, this might seem unfair to give 1/10. It is. But its unfair of SEGA/CA to release a game full of potential but with so many bugs it seems they havnt tested at all. Besides serious performance issues there are many bugs known of previous TW titles, like AI not attacking at all in battles, desync issues and also some fancy new ones, like frozen camera or 5min turn-time-waits in coopWell, this might seem unfair to give 1/10. It is. But its unfair of SEGA/CA to release a game full of potential but with so many bugs it seems they havnt tested at all. Besides serious performance issues there are many bugs known of previous TW titles, like AI not attacking at all in battles, desync issues and also some fancy new ones, like frozen camera or 5min turn-time-waits in coop campaign.. Some of them are gamebreaking, some of them are just annoying. Fix this game and this could be a solid 9/10, but at this state its not worth playing as frustration is imminent. Expand
  54. Sep 3, 2013
    The single player is reasonably good. I wouldn't say it's much of an improvement to its predecessor, Shogun 2, but nevertheless it's fun to play.

However the multiplayer experience has been entirely ruined in this latest offering from Creative Assembly. They removed the Avatars, the veteran units and vet progression, the leaderboards, the clan battles, and much else. They made the entire game experience harder. For example in Shogun2 when choosing your units, you would automatically see the statistics of each unit when you click on it. In Rome2 you have to right click on each one and bring up a slow-to-load properties window that gives you the stats on each unit, which makes the experience of picking an army tiresome and slow. And to add to that, it's almost impossible to distinguish units apart as the icons for them are the same, and the flags they carry on the field do not distinguish unit type, only weapon type.

Why did they take something beautiful and ruin it?
  55. Sep 4, 2013
    Very big disappointment.
    Game is very poorly optimized and loaded with performance bottle necks.
    Lots of application crashes due to run time errors with the software (i.e. bugs.) The user interface is awful and is definitely not AAA quality. Things the AI does do not make any sense. Battles are too short, don't feel epic. I have played every TW game ever made, this is the only one
    Very big disappointment.
    Game is very poorly optimized and loaded with performance bottle necks.
    The user interface is awful and is definitely not AAA quality.
    Things the AI does do not make any sense.
    Battles are too short, don't feel epic.
    I have played every TW game ever made, this is the only one where I don't get that excited feeling before my army clashes with the enemy on the battlefield.
    If this game had it's technical issues under control and the game was even remotely stable, it would give it a 6/10.

In summary, it doesn't feel like I am playing a total war game made by TCA.
    It feels like I am playing a game made by some 'pretender' company that tried and failed to copy what TCA did.
  56. Sep 3, 2013
    I've waited so long for this game and the hype has been immense. When i opened the game and entered my first battle i almost felt like slamming my head into the wall. Never have I been so disappointed with a game on release. The list of dissappointments range from strange and frustrating graphics issues to completely ludacris waiting times in the campaign. Even with AI movements toggledI've waited so long for this game and the hype has been immense. When i opened the game and entered my first battle i almost felt like slamming my head into the wall. Never have I been so disappointed with a game on release. The list of dissappointments range from strange and frustrating graphics issues to completely ludacris waiting times in the campaign. Even with AI movements toggled off it's unacceptable. We had the exact same issue in shogun 2 but this is far worse. Sad and dissappointing launch. I want to love this game but I this is undenieably an unfinished product that I don't want to spend my time on with the current state of the game. Expand
  57. Sep 3, 2013
    The game shouldn't have been released yet, people pretty much pre-ordered a beta instead of a finished product. The game is good, perhaps a 7/10, but the developers screwed up and got greedy. Pretending it was finished, when it wasn't. This is Colonial Marines 2.0
  58. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is a disaster and worst instalment in TW franchise. Developers simply removed many things such as family tree, normal economic mode, multiplayers modes, etc. Game mechanics is much worse than in Shogun 2. It doesnt feel like a TW game. Battles are boring and AI has serious glitches.
  59. Sep 4, 2013
    Really a huge leap backwards from the Shogun era, interface usability is horrible, game depth is shallow while unit statistics have become completely silly, player interaction is much worse, multiplayer is a complete mess an maps are very unbalanced, graphics look very poor unless zoomed right in from where there is no control, very frequent crashes and low frame rates even at lowReally a huge leap backwards from the Shogun era, interface usability is horrible, game depth is shallow while unit statistics have become completely silly, player interaction is much worse, multiplayer is a complete mess an maps are very unbalanced, graphics look very poor unless zoomed right in from where there is no control, very frequent crashes and low frame rates even at low settings, what have u done in the last 2 years CA? btw I played 2000+ hrs of Shogun 2 & FOTS and really enjoyed every bit of it. Expand
  60. Sep 4, 2013
    I was waiting this game for years. I bought pre-order after watching commercials and reading developers interviews. Now I am feeling robbed and scammed. This game is nothing as it was promised by developers and actually it is much worse than previous TW games. Tons of bugs, simplified campaign map, many features removed, graphics are glitchy. Total disaster.
  61. Sep 4, 2013
    I feel scammed there's no other way to say it.
    I feel scammed there's no other way to say it.
    The minimum and recommended requirements are a lie. The game is unplayable. After applying community-prorposed fixes, I can now actually barely play at 10-12 FPS. Won't comment on the many disappointments which other players report battle mechanics, removed gameplay features like family trees and so on.. but I have to say this is the biggest let down I have ever experienced from an entertainment product! Such a shame!
  62. Sep 4, 2013
    Unplayable. Simple waste of time and money.it just crashes 5 times every hour. Incredibly bad AI and battle interface. Not to mention the multiplayer side of the game is even worse.

I strongly recommend to avoid this game.
  63. Sep 4, 2013
    Unplayable game too bad, because I was looking forward to it. My game crashed every hour, get black screens when i was in a battles, could not play through the prologue because it was unplayable, sound issues, framerate out of the roof... a real bummer this game. avoid it until it gets better
  64. Sep 3, 2013
    Disappointing. It's very unoptimized, the textures are terrible and the AI is terrible as well. Not innovative at all, it's basically a cash-grabbing rehash. Also, pre-order DLC? Really? I can't imagine the amount of pointless DLC they will add in the future...

Avoid this like the plague.
  65. Sep 4, 2013
    Wait at least for a year before you buy this game. Maybe -and I mean maybe!- after a couple of hundreds patches and a few dozen mods, this dumbed down bug-filled pacman fighting game will be playable. Until that day, this is a disgrace for our dear Total War Series.
  66. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is a HUGE letdown.
    The game was many performance issues, since crashes, freezes, low fps on pc's above the requirements and even on some med/high end machines.
    This game is a HUGE letdown.

Even without counting the performance issues, the game is a residual of the other total war games. The battle system is awful, you have a capture the flag system and you run straight into it and let the armies fight you don't even need to care about tactics they will just pile up anyway and form a big chunk off units that appear to be deaf. The units moving on battle seem that they are running all the time and the cavalry seems like cars moving. AI is plentiful bad in battles and outside.
    There are some good points that I like, diplomacy is one of them.

In conclusion, this game is not worth the money and seems unfinished. What is unacceptable since CA overhyped this so much, I personally feel rip off and regret completely from buying it.
  67. Sep 3, 2013
    This was one of the most overly hyped games ever. I remember exactly a year ago when all of us were excited by the Siege of Carthage which was shown as Pre-Pre-Alpha. But heck the game looked so much better then. And I am talking in terms of the "Darker Feel of War" which the Lead Design actually emphasized over and over again.

Where has that darker and gritty feel gone? All I am seeing

Where has that darker and gritty feel gone? All I am seeing are people dressed in colorful clown costumes with battles talking 1-2 minutes at most. AI still sucks and is easy to beat even at Legendary. Poor optimization problems and performance issues. Alot of campaign features and removed including the ever decreasing list of diplomacy options.

Here is how CA can redeem themselves: Either release comprehensive mod tools right away allowing us to edit all the DBs including settlements (God I want to make them so much bigger. "Cities" are represented none more than small villages with a couple of scattered buildings), or refund us all the money for fooling us with hyped marketing.
  68. Sep 6, 2013
    Wow, i'm a big fan of the total war series, i have played hundreds hours on every game since Rome 1, on every DLC, and i wanted so much to love this one! here were so much announcements, but it appears it was mostly false advertising...
    The AI was never very good in any total war, but at least, if you played "fair" and don't used and abused of some tricks, you could have great challenges, especially in napoleon and shogun 2 You could enjoy from time to time some epic battles if you played in very hard or legendary, be it a victory or not, that was something quite unique in my video game experience.
    Rome 2 was advertised as putting that at another scale.

But the problem is... the AI is dumber than in any previous total wars i played, even Rome 1.
    On the campaign map the AI can't build balanced armies, balanced settlements, and on the field, it's worse...
    Either they storm you and try to outnumber you by throwing everything in a big melee (clash of 12000 men's, i dreamed of that... i had 2200 mens against 10000... and i won with less than 500 losses because the AI just throw everything in a big mass, you flank that mass, and they almost instantly routed... not fun at all... no strategy involved, it's absolutely not "epic"...) or if there is a wall between you and them, you can just take a break of one hour or fast forward the battle, because either they will not even try to approach the walls, they will not use their siege weapons, and if you kill the unit trying to ignite the door (yes, you can take Rome or Carthage just by putting a damn door on fire with some torches your soldier throw at it, like in shogun 2.. )
    Well, i'm very disappointed, there is many little things i don't like very much in the game, but they are often design choices, and well, i have to do with that until someone mod them, and there is also some things that are well thoughts, like the province system, the nice campaign map... but the AI!! It's the meat of the game! How could it be possible they never realised there was such a big problem before releasing that game (and advertising that it was the best AI ever...)???
    Until the AI is not fixed, i can't rate this game over 0, because it's supposed to be a strategy game, and there is obviously no strategy nor fun at all in the solo campaign (i don't play multi, so i can't rate that)

And sorry for my bad bad english...
  69. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is one big false marketing. After watching all commercial videos, I was hoping to see Rome 2 at least as good as Shogun 2. However, developers just lied to us. Optimization and visual part of the game is bad. Gameplay doesn't feel like TW game.

Rome 2: Total War is big disappointment for me. I want my money back!
  70. Sep 17, 2013
    A slap in the face of all Total War and strategy game fans. This game is a disgrace. Creative Assembly just lost all its core audience by dumbing down gameplay for console release.
  71. Sep 4, 2013
    Well the developers sure pulled the wool over my eyes. I wish they would of put all that money from advertising into the actual game! This game should be labeled as a "beta". The sad thing being, that it is beyond repair. It will take years of patches, and community mods to make this game worth playing.
  72. Sep 3, 2013
    I have been a loyal TW fan since inception. I feel deceived by the trailers and false promises. Rome II, after a full day of testing, has left me extremely disappointed. The "core" game is a complete 180 from previous games and alienates the die-hard fans. Unit speeds are ridiculously fast, formations break instantly upon contact, and the moral system is nonexistent. This game feels moreI have been a loyal TW fan since inception. I feel deceived by the trailers and false promises. Rome II, after a full day of testing, has left me extremely disappointed. The "core" game is a complete 180 from previous games and alienates the die-hard fans. Unit speeds are ridiculously fast, formations break instantly upon contact, and the moral system is nonexistent. This game feels more like a typical RTS game than a Total War game. I would read more of these reviews before purchasing. Caveat emptor. Expand
  73. Sep 4, 2013
    Total waste of money 2 is more like it the game crashes often, AI is not challenging at all even on the hardest difficulty and co-op campaign is hardly functional atm. I also Tried a 1v1 multiplayer battle lost connection after 2 minutes cool cool.... OH! lets not forget to top off sundae with bugs galore and no way to get a refund if you bought it on steam well deserved 0 in my book.
  74. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is frankly terrible. As a CA fanboy I’m willing to forgive slight bugs and errors but this game goes far beyond that into the realm of unplayable. Every forum dedicated to this game is filled with people suffering from low fps, graphical glitches and the kind of experience you would expect from an Alpha, not a £30 full priced game.

Even if you ignore the fps issues (which is

Even if you ignore the fps issues (which is basically impossible) the game is lacking in unit variety, the campaign is now basically a CIV-lite and they’ve decided to add the ridiculous option of allowing armies to build boats, meaning that having a standard navy is completely pointless.
  75. Sep 4, 2013
    This would have been a great game if they'd finished developing it. Buggy, crash prone, and utterly unplayable. Don't buy it for at least a few months the fact that they're apparently using fans of the series to do play testing rather than doing it themselves is frustrating, to say the least.
  76. Sep 5, 2013
    DONT BUY THIS GAME!!!

The most anticipated game for 10 years now... I have played this series since 2004 and i am shocked this game is so bad. Horrible optimization and miserable graphics, first Rome looks better if this . Graphics are nothing like the Siege of Carthage video even on max settings, millions of bugs, Ai is very stupid, the multiplayer experience has been entirely
    DONT BUY THIS GAME!!!

The most anticipated game for 10 years now...

I have played this series since 2004 and i am shocked this game is so bad.
    Horrible optimization and miserable graphics, first Rome looks better if this .
    Graphics are nothing like the Siege of Carthage video even on max settings, millions of bugs, Ai is very stupid, the multiplayer experience has been entirely ruined in this latest offering from Creative Assembly. They removed the Avatars, the veteran units and vet progression, the leaderboards, the clan battles, and much else.

Was quite impressed by shogun 2 total war battles fast with energy with a good feel on what your armies is doing, there is nothing, men full of bronze equipement run faster than ninja and kill so fast you hadn't any time to appreciate it seriously.It is essentially a reskinned Rome1 that manages to run worse,look worse and feel worse even when they had a massive amount of money which seems to have went on PR and false reviews.
    Developers cheated players, it's basically a cash-grabbing rehash. Also, pre-order DLC? Really? I can't imagine the amount of pointless DLC they will add in the future...

Rome 2 is a big step backwards. Like, 10 years backwards. Honestly, Medieval 2 had better graphics. Actually, I think they may have re-used the same graphical engine from the original Rome: Total War. It looks about like that!
    I'm done Creative Assembly you guys have pulled this crap too many times, finish your damn games, this game 4me is a waste of hard disk space and you just lost a customer!
  77. Sep 3, 2013
    Terrible, just a glorified console game with an arcade feeling, depth-less boring city management, no unit cohesion in battle just a mess, 2 minute battles with ridiculous unit speeds, terrible animations including this awful looking gray smoke that emits from all units when hit by a ranged weapon, Capped armies breaking game play, warp speed ships, bugged diplomacy, AI units that don'tTerrible, just a glorified console game with an arcade feeling, depth-less boring city management, no unit cohesion in battle just a mess, 2 minute battles with ridiculous unit speeds, terrible animations including this awful looking gray smoke that emits from all units when hit by a ranged weapon, Capped armies breaking game play, warp speed ships, bugged diplomacy, AI units that don't defend the walls of a city breaking game play, box turtle like designed interface, bland unit cards, questionable graphics (like a teenager with abstract ideas), un-moddable music files, and no family trees. I would stay away from this game, even in the coming months (when and if modding tools are released) I still would caution against buying it. This the worst PC game I ever spent 60$ on. It is nothing more than a functional alpha at this point. Expand
  78. Sep 3, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the Total War series, but Rome 2 is a big step backwards. Like, 15 years backwards. Honestly, Medieval 2 had better graphics. Actually, I think they may have re-used the same graphical engine from the original Rome: Total War. It looks about like that, with the big difference of only running at 8 frames per second on my actually-not-that-bad Radeon 6870. Maybe thisI'm a big fan of the Total War series, but Rome 2 is a big step backwards. Like, 15 years backwards. Honestly, Medieval 2 had better graphics. Actually, I think they may have re-used the same graphical engine from the original Rome: Total War. It looks about like that, with the big difference of only running at 8 frames per second on my actually-not-that-bad Radeon 6870. Maybe this game has some neat stuff in it, but you can't see it through all the pixels. In any case, the historical accuracy is awesome, like other Total War games, and I did learn a few things before I punched my fist through my computer screen and pissed all over the motherboard. For instance, I had no idea Roman soldiers wore puke from head to toe before they went into battle. It probably would have been effective at avoiding confrontation, if their enemies weren't all non-descript pink naked blobs wielding what appear to be gray foam tubes, with the intelligence of lemmings. Yeah, the graphics make it difficult to view very much of the game, but I can at least see that the A.I. is more retarded than the pong game I programmed when I was 13. Seriously. I hate this game, and this game hates me, and will hate you if you buy it. Just do yourself a favor and go play Tetris on a web page or something. Expand
  79. Sep 3, 2013
    A big dissapointment, like all other total war games at release it's filled with bugs. This time it's everything from bad performance on high-end rigs to graphical errors and crashes
  80. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is what i feared. Just a repixeling of the old engine. Same AI, Same Bugs, same behavior.
    EA is re-milking this cow with each new iteration since Medieval 2.
    As a long time player.. Shogun Total war. I ve lost all hopes of real improvement. They are just repixelating and improving the GFX capacity. But the core is the same as ever, the team is totally unable to really improve
    EA is re-milking this cow with each new iteration since Medieval 2.
    They are just repixelating and improving the GFX capacity. But the core is the same as ever, the team is totally unable to really improve anything. Almost a decade of players same complains: AI, Interesting multiplayer that work, bugs on release that are the same of the last iteration.
  81. Sep 3, 2013
    It could have been better much better. All the crashing is terrible just terrible. I hope they patch it soon as these many issues just won't do nor these lying scores it's dejavue all over again with the origional RTW the game does not rate 100 or 90's and that's all these jerks can give just to be like the other lemmings or smurfs. Quit lying and give it the score it deserves because ofIt could have been better much better. All the crashing is terrible just terrible. I hope they patch it soon as these many issues just won't do nor these lying scores it's dejavue all over again with the origional RTW the game does not rate 100 or 90's and that's all these jerks can give just to be like the other lemmings or smurfs. Quit lying and give it the score it deserves because of performance and gameplay. Expand
  82. Sep 4, 2013
    Horrible UI.
    Horrendously confusing unit cards.
    Poorly optimized.
    Fix the triremes.
    Where is my guard button.
    Make a unit card that covers half my screen.
  83. Sep 4, 2013
    I have been waiting this game for a while but what i get Broken game, i have super rig and my FPS is 15-25-fps i luv total war series but why release buggy game i don't wanna play low settings or medium because i know my rig can do better than that and EVEN medium settings lag is terrible..
  84. Sep 3, 2013
    Don't even bother to buy the game right now, there is a high change you will have tons of problems, since low fps, crashes, etc; even with high end rigs. You can check lots of foruns to see whats going on. There is no way a game that expensive could get out like this. Shame
  85. Sep 4, 2013
    So after I played over 10 hours, I will adjust my 10/10 to a 4/10. The AI is just too stupid, a donkey i a compliment to them! I can defeat 3 armys with 1 on legendery! The AI is killing the game.. Also, i have lag... while I can run all other newest games on ultra settings! I have to tune down alot of the settings to have 20+ fps.... stupid framerate! If they fix all of this, i willSo after I played over 10 hours, I will adjust my 10/10 to a 4/10. The AI is just too stupid, a donkey i a compliment to them! I can defeat 3 armys with 1 on legendery! The AI is killing the game.. Also, i have lag... while I can run all other newest games on ultra settings! I have to tune down alot of the settings to have 20+ fps.... stupid framerate! If they fix all of this, i will change again to a 8/10! I am very sad about this.... Expand
  86. Sep 3, 2013
    In short, AVOID at all cost.

Extremely poor optimization, even you have i7 and GTX Titan, you may still have only around 20 fps.

Still the same graphic quality as Medieval (wow, it is now 2013), the same buggy AI, and the non user friendly UI and manual control.

Just play a high quality mod in Total War: Rome I, you may even have more fun than that.
  87. Sep 3, 2013
    I expected wayyy more. I hate the way the soldier look on the bottom tab. Also it lags a lot with wayyyyy toooo long loading screens. My computer is suposed to run this game very well but the game thinks otherwise.
  88. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is not finished. They released it with no driver support. No crossfire, no SLI. Terrible! Official word is blaming AMD and Nividia. What a joke. Make a game that don't work and blame others.
  89. Sep 3, 2013
    Shame on reviewers for giving this game a free ride. As of release day, Creative Assembly is selling a totally defective, half-finished game that beyond its half-baked design innovations is unplayable by roughly a third of modern gaming computers. Don't buy this game until it's Steam saled for $10 or less, and only if they've patched it up.
  90. Sep 3, 2013
    Biggest over hyped game of 2013 no doubt. Poorly optimized and buggy. Loading times are ridiculously slow.

UI is clunky and not very streamline. I am a big fan of the Total war series so it saddens me to admit this is nothing but a disappointment. Before the zealous fanboys scream ''your pc is I have an ultra end gaming computer and can run arma 3, and metro 2033 at over 50fps on ultra.
  91. Sep 4, 2013
    I'll start out by saying this game will most likely disappoint the majority of people who play it whether old fans or new. Beyond that, I'll just stick directly to the point when stating SOME of the problems. Key word being "SOME."

No MSAA compatibility anymore despite having it for ages in Total War series. Terrible graphics options. No DX11 options found in Shogun 2. No SLI/Crossfire support for you PC enthusiasts out there. AI is more mentally handicapped than they were in Shogun 2 without mods. Units do not hold formation pretty much ever once they clash with an enemy. Just try the Spartan Phalanx. It's a joke unworthy of the name Phalanx. I imagine the Roman one doesn't fare much better.

All the unit cards are terribly close to identical in appearance and name. Most of the stats for said units are too close, making you wonder if they just ran out of ideas or were lazy and simply duped units, slightly changed stats and then changed the suffix to their unit name. The new lighting effects are a joke and glitchy as all hell. I've seen children in the comfort of their homes make better lighting effects for existing games with post processing effects. Creative Assembly is pitiful.

Back to the problems though Crazy broken bugs like ships sailing right onto land, skating across the landscape and running over your troops. That last one might actually be hilariously entertaining, but it won't distract you from the fact this game runs anywhere from 50% to 30% of the frames of Shogun 2 despite having 20%-25% the graphics quality of Shogun 2 in DX11. It's pitiful that this is the best they could do 2 years later. It literally resembles more so Empire or Napoleon graphics. in some cases Napoleon looks better than this game when it comes to texture work.

If you think you can have a high-end PC, buy the game, and have it look like it does in the trailers, your optimism will quickly be crushed by the reality of it all. The only way to get this game to look that way is to lower certain settings in the game, or turn them off completely, downsample a higher resolution than the game supports like 1440p/1620p (Good luck keeping fluid frames with 1 GPU there) and then tweaking a SweetFX setup for it on top of that to get some better HDR/Bloom/AA/and shading overall. Even then you'll still find jaggies riddling everything, and inferior graphics quality for what is a game released in 2013. TLDR? "Shameful display." That's all you need to take from this.
  92. Sep 3, 2013
    The worst Total War game since Empire. They took every bit of progress they made with Shogun 2 and threw it out the window. What we have instead is an uglier, worse game on the same engine.
  93. Sep 3, 2013
    I have been waiting about 8 years for this game, stayed up all last night for the 8am launch.
    And well its utter utter at the moment unplayable lag, graphics look at all settings, my pc can play any game on the market at ultra settings! so its a top on the line gaming pc .
    i didn't pay £30 for a beta game
  94. Sep 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am very upset!!!! .Horrible optimization and miserable graphics first Rome looks better if this guano. Millions of bugs.Ai is very stupid.Developers cheated players. Expand
  95. Sep 3, 2013
    Sadly a disappointment. Poor performance, AI still charges into your spears with its general, multiplayer adds nothing to the original Rome 1 concept.
  96. Sep 3, 2013
    Needs work it has a lot of issues right now. crashing, diplomacy, AI, intuitive gameplay. Graphics are good though I wouldn't give it a 10 but we have to be fair about this 7.5 is closer to home it shouldn't get a 10 just because it's CA and RTW2
  97. Sep 3, 2013
    to counter the silly 10's being thrown around out the wrongfully I had to give this game a 1. It's not worthy of a 10 and everyone knows itl It's not worthy of a 1 but we have to even things out. Right now it has some intuitive issues and crash issues and diplomacy issues and I saw them. Figuring out how to build took about 3 turns and having to have a plat form before one builds is justto counter the silly 10's being thrown around out the wrongfully I had to give this game a 1. It's not worthy of a 10 and everyone knows itl It's not worthy of a 1 but we have to even things out. Right now it has some intuitive issues and crash issues and diplomacy issues and I saw them. Figuring out how to build took about 3 turns and having to have a plat form before one builds is just more micromangement the game doesn't need. Diplomacy is silly in that no one wants a simple trade agreememt or non aggression pact. Crashing is a big issue with me because I rarely have them but this game crashed on the very first battle. a bad one too reset my whole computer and did a hard reboot. I'm sure there will be more issues like the AI is pretty easy too but hopefully that is because of these early factions I've encountered if it gets better without mods I'll up my score until then it gets a 1 Expand
  98. Sep 3, 2013
    Worst strategy game i've ever seen.
    Worst strategy game i've ever seen.
    It's not a game, it's trash, it's not Rome, it is repainted Shogun2. The game is so poorly done absolutely everything fighting, strategy map, interface, diplomacy, AI, facial animation which is hard to believe that these same people who made the last game of the series. I withdrew my pre-order from Steam two months ago, but support did not want to see the two letters that i send. So i got proof that i was right, and the game 60-bucks full of crap. In the CA thought of me as well as the buyer, but it is not thought as a player. This game a lack of respect for fans of the series. I will not even more buy a game of CA until the demo.
  99. Sep 3, 2013
    So I've selected "Very High" graphics just to make sure game runs smoothly and hoping to increase it later but I was incredibly surprised seeing graphics equality of Rome I with lags. My specs are: X4 955/6950 2gb/8gb ram. I'll wait for a patches but for now this isn't how surprise fans Creative Assembly!
  100. Sep 3, 2013
    All i see is 10/10 OMG BEST GAME EVER...
    But in reality crashes, tons of bugs, extreme lack of optimization with poor textures, low quality UI etc
    All i see is 10/10 OMG BEST GAME EVER...
    But most of all DESYNC in MP campaign. Yes, yes. After 2 years of shogun 2 and still not fixed. This means it is same imbecile made network code for 5 years already. New game! How it is possible? Desync after 5 minutes of MP game. Who tested this? Long anticipated piece of crap.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]