• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Sep 3, 2013
4.1

1. Sep 14, 2013
    Dear oh dear oh dear. What a complete shambles. It's not that there are bugs in this game; sadly that's par for the course these days. It's not that the turn ends take far too long; in fact, everything takes far too long, for too little benefit. It's not even that it's lost a lot of the attractive features of previous games in the series in the name of streamlining; change has toDear oh dear oh dear. What a complete shambles. It's not that there are bugs in this game; sadly that's par for the course these days. It's not that the turn ends take far too long; in fact, everything takes far too long, for too little benefit. It's not even that it's lost a lot of the attractive features of previous games in the series in the name of streamlining; change has to happen and that's fair enough. It's that the end result is a complete, unplayable, mess.

Bad AI? Check. Poor performance? Check. Dire documentation? Check. Poorly designed new features? Check. Lack of balance? Check. Lack of usability? Check. This game is a textbook example of how NOT to design a game. That they took such a good series and somehow turned it into this deserves some sort of award. Preferably the sort that involved unemployment.

Don't bother buying it now; wait a couple of months and you'll find it in the bargain basement at $5, which frankly would still be overpriced.
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    If you a Total War fan or love video games, this review is for you:

This game was advertised with videos of supreme graphics and developers themselves from Creative Assembly talking about how Rome 2 is the biggest Total War they've ever made with 40% more budget than any other project they've done in the past. This is how they turned this AWESOME saga in a complete with NO A.I.
    If you a Total War fan or love video games, this review is for you:

This is how they turned this AWESOME saga in a complete with NO A.I. WHATSOEVER (even when they fix it, the A.I. will use ATTACK RECKLESSLY TO THE FLAG-strategy.

SEGA and Creative Assembly DECEIVED with lies but not WORDED LIES, VIDEO/IMAGES LIES HIDDEN AS DECEITFUL FEATURES.

In Rome 2:

- Sieges nowhere close the size of anything we saw in videos/panorama pictures

- The A.I. which had more budget than ever for Rome 2, WAS NO DEVELOPED AT ALL. Just given simple path finding instructions to CAPTURE FLAGS which are bugged right now but even when fixed, it will be the worst A.I. in a TW to date.

- They completely removed the Family Tree/Leader Figures. You get an infinite pool of worthless generals.

- There is NO POLITICAL SYSTEM WHATSOEVER and it was advertised as a big feature along with a storyline driven campaign map.

- Graphically wise, the colors of the armor in the soldiers are washed out, less quality and detail in the armor of soldiers gtx 770 lighting, all max, min fps 25 while on big battles even in high end rig.

- The diplomacy is completely useless and confusing. There is no diplomacy whatsoever, just "attack here" for your allies. If you want to directly talk to a faction you have to transition into a small list that can only show 5 factions at a time and there are 110 in the game.

- The detailed straightforward User Interface from Shogun 2 was completely ditched and redone a Java-type-game UI that demands annoying micromanaging for doing simple tasks.

IF you want a real honest 40 minutes long review of Rome 2 total war done by a real fan of the series for more than 10 years, go search Angryjoe in youtube.

Avoid this game like them peoples did in middle earth with black pest. Focus your hate on SEGA for pushing CA to meet the deadline so they could show over inflated annual reports.

I can't believe it but SEGA has turned to be more greedy and worse in every other aspect than EA.

SHAMEFUL DISPLAY
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Core 2 Duo E7500@2.93 GHZ, 3 GB RAM, ATI HD RADEON 6570 GDDR5. Good enough to run the game on high settings at 1366*768 as mentioned in official pc requirements. Tried latest drivers both non beta and beta.
    Well I received quite a shock when I tried all my might and couldn't get the fps to rise above 10-11 fps even on the lowest settings. Seeing that people with much better rigs are having same problem so the least I can say about it is its unplayable and a terribly optimized game. Waste of time and money for me. Waiting for the proper patches to be released which could take a few weeks. Though they released one patch today but it didn't work. Still waiting for a solution and hoping they sort it out.
    Right now its unplayable. If you haven't bought it yet, don't buy it right now. Wait for xmas when it has been optimized and its price reduced. Dunno how they get away with it.
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    I have been waiting for this game for several years, since the Empire TW.

I played for a total of 4 hours? I have not played again or have any desire to play again any time soon. They made to game look pretty. They ruined the games internals and made it so that this game will be broken for years to come. The turn waiting is way to much, over 5 minutes in some cases. They
    I have been waiting for this game for several years, since the Empire TW.

I played for a total of 4 hours?

I have not played again or have any desire to play again any time soon.

They made to game look pretty.

They really killed the game, between:

1. Turn waiting
    2. AI is broken Which causes the battles to be broken and boring.
    3. Battles are broken and boring.
    4. Easy to raise armies and go on a capturing spree.
    5. Building structures is boring and purposeless.
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    Another case of paid reviewers giving the buggy ass game a 78 and the ACTUAL PLAYERS GIVE IT A 3.8.
    Terrible AI, game lags constantly, end game is a DISASTER of game-ending bugs. The UI is like they just started making these games. Did they fire their entire team and hire people off the WarZ team??? Wasted my money on this. Total War is Over. Total Failure is HERE!!!
  6. Sep 5, 2013
    Really terrible, I remember how I felt playing shogun 2 for the first time, I was excited. impressed and it was very fun, playing Rome II, I get none of these feelings, all they had to do was re-skin Shougn II, but they couldn't 't even do that right, the tech tree is badly designed, and there is no family tree and so no role playing. Every turn i get asked for gold by one of my retardReally terrible, I remember how I felt playing shogun 2 for the first time, I was excited. impressed and it was very fun, playing Rome II, I get none of these feelings, all they had to do was re-skin Shougn II, but they couldn't 't even do that right, the tech tree is badly designed, and there is no family tree and so no role playing. Every turn i get asked for gold by one of my retard neighbours, you can't attack by land a city that has its port blockaded with one allied ship, in battles if you select your group to attack the enemy they all converge on one enemy unit, ruining their formation, gauls and iceni are apparently voiced by someone trying to fake a really bad Swedish accent. Overall there is no immersion I don't feel part of the faction I'm playing, there is also no innovation in game play at all. Expand
  7. Sep 4, 2013
    I have been waiting this game for a while but what i get Broken game, i have super rig and my FPS is 15-25-fps i luv total war series but why release buggy game i don't wanna play low settings or medium because i know my rig can do better than that and EVEN medium settings lag is terrible..
  8. Sep 4, 2013
    To release a game that doesnt run properly on an i5 2500k at 4.4GHZ and two GTX 670's in SLI is ridiculous. The game is unplayable due to the awful GPU usage and terrible framerate when you have more than about 10 units in the battle.

I havent even played the rest of the game as there is no point if the battles are unplayable.

Poor show.
  9. Sep 10, 2013
    When I bought this game, I desperately wanted to love it. Unfortunately, I couldn't bear to lie to myself and give this a 10 like so many other people are. Consumers don't like to think they were wrong, so why should they be? I might have a few reasons:

The first problem with this game is the horrible optimization. I can run it OK at best, but I have a couple of friends with computers much better than my 2-year-old tin can that can't even get 20 frames on the lowest setting. This has been an issue in essentially every Total War game to date, and I can't fathom why Creative Assembly would release their game before fixing these issues (in the past, it took them months to fix optimization a repeat of this wasn't a good idea).

Another issue is the AI in the game itself. The game obviously focuses around single-player (or co-op) and in that endeavor the AI is a complete joke. In battles, enemy units have no idea what they're doing and at times will just run back and forth in one spot, and sometimes even charge you only to retreat instantly. Defending a settlement against this atrocious AI isn't even fun. Even outside battles in the campaign map you'll end up seeing enemy armies abandoning their settlements at the worst possible times, leaving you an opening to simply walk in. Armies of 5 will recklessly charge into your army of twenty with a complete disregard for any logical solution (besides suicide, apparently).

The campaign itself is amazingly large, which I absolutely love. The issue with this is you'll typically be looking at 2-4 minutes of processing AI turns in the campaign map. If you manage to take two minutes on your turn, you're still looking at AT LEAST an equal return of that time doing nothing and waiting for the (horrible) AI to take their turns. Essentially, you're looking at 20-30 minutes of campaign gameplay per hour of actual gameplay. That's an absurd amount of time to be doing nothing. Of course, those gameplay times are disregarding the game's other problems, which brings me to...

Misc. issues. One big one that I (as well as others from what I've come to understand) is campaign battles (specifically co-op) that you choose to auto-resolve might not even register, and the game will freeze up at that point and render a campaign unplayable from that point forward. Random bugs like this coupled with the constant de-sync battle crashes and even game crashes entirely make this an extremely difficult game to actually play.

The content is great, but endless technical issues make this game unplayable; even if you do manage to play uninterrupted, the horrible AI and buggy unit control render this game a laughable full-price release.
  10. Sep 13, 2013
    Over 60 hours now and I just can't take it any more. I tried to be a good little fanboy but this game is sh*t in its current state. SHAME on sega and SHAME on ca for taking advantage of a loyal fan base.
    -Battles are now capture the flag
    -Battles are now capture the flag
    -AI is the most broken its ever been. Set the battle timer to 20 minutes because they wont even attack half the time and youll end up just waiting out a battle, suicide AI charges
    -Super streamlined. No politics, no family, no senate, no Factions Ranking scroll, cant base taxes on a city to city basis only faction-wide, units replenish in 2 turns
    -Glitchy graphics, poor AI pathfinding, poor unit responsiveness
    -FLAMING JAVELINS
    -On "legendary" difficulty enemy agents have 99% succes rate, yours have 10%, which doesn't make it hard but unfair
    -NO AGENT CUT SCENES
    -Armies make a fleet automatically by entering water. Those fleets of transports easily defeat the "real" fleets of warships
    -Random lag on campaign map and battles
    DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY wait several months for the 9,875,889,785 MB of patches that have to go through this game
  11. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is such a step back from every Total War predecessor... Every last one. The AI is the dumbest I have ever combated, the map is limited and linear. Unit cards can take up half of your screen with 20 units, and there is no option to adjust size or remove them.
    Units all look the same, and are difficult to distinguish, even with the 3x larger unit cards. The building and general tabs are hidden, confusing, and not even easy to see. Technology is set to two linear paths. You can choose military or civillian and its just one path from there essentially.
    Definately not worth the 3 year wait since Shogun 2, and even less added than shogun did.
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    DON'T BUY IT before it's on budget as gold edition. The game is not complete and was released before it was complete. It has potential to be good if the huge number of OBVIOUS bugs are sorted. They never tested the game and pushed it out the door. Great play by SEGA to kill fan base and stop people buying future games.
  13. Sep 12, 2013
    Basically Sega sold alpha state game to us. It's far worse than trailers and preview they presented.
    Non-playabe, casual edition. After years and years of total war games, AI is worst ever, like most of the features. Good modern graphics for Rome 1, a it will be far better game than this...
  14. Sep 10, 2013
    Worst AI of the hole Total War series! Its completely destroys the single player and coop.
    including game breaking bugs which doesnt make it better.
    Broken net code with lots of de sync and bugs!
    bad unit and faction balance!
    overall its a mess
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    first, it is just offensive that in 10+ years of the franchise, the game mechanics hardly advanced at all. look at europa series - each new game, TONS of new stuff. here? not so much
    second, those gushing "professional" reviews make me sick. it just shows that there is no independent gaming press. seriously "I had difficulties in [insert here]" and then a 88 score?
    third, the game itself
    third, the game itself is a beta, but even when it's patched, it will be a dumbed down version of shogun2, which was imho a dumbed down version of medieval 2.
  16. Sep 15, 2013
    Let's play Rome Total War 2, shall we ?

ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZ That sums it up I think. This game is just boring, there is no challenge whatsoever and most of the time is made of... waiting. There is no rythm or ambiance that would keep the player interested quite a failure when you think it should involves Rome, huge battles, acts of heroism, conquest, politics, treasons, and the
    Let's play Rome Total War 2, shall we ?

ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZ

That sums it up I think. This game is just boring, there is no challenge whatsoever and most of the time is made of... waiting. There is no rythm or ambiance that would keep the player interested quite a failure when you think it should involves Rome, huge battles, acts of heroism, conquest, politics, treasons, and the such. But here, nope, it's just plain boring.

Congratulations for that Creative Assembly, it is really quite an achievement.

Also, false marketing, false promises, we're getting used to it, but it's always totally unacceptable. Lying to customers is very very low. Watch Angry Joe review on youtube, listen to the people in charge of the AI and laugh your ass off comparing it to the reality. Shame, shame on you. Stop spending money on marketing and overhype, and use more in actual work on important things like AI.

And of course everything else... UI is bad, especially for nowadays standards. Naval units are useless. Performances issues. Units balancing messed up. Loading times...

Well pretty much everything is off.

This game is maybe worth 3/10 and 10 bucks, but am gonna lower it to a 2/10 because of the false reviews. Guys, it really starts to show that you are bought and that is unacceptable.
  17. Sep 7, 2013
    This review spoils the prologue:

I am depressed. From the moment this game was announced, I was so excited. The Carthage footage, checking the forum every week for a year to see the new factions. I love Shogun 2, and this was looking to be S2 and then some. Rome Total War is my second favorite TW game. Conquering northern Africa as my Scipio family, managing my family, doing cool
    This review spoils the prologue:

I love Shogun 2, and this was looking to be S2 and then some. Rome Total War is my second favorite TW game. Conquering northern Africa as my Scipio family, managing my family, doing cool events, building up epic armies, managing settlements .
    R2 was going to be all this and more.
    So they led us to believe.

The game's development was very tightly kept secret. There were only about 10 gameplay footage videos or so, with various CA/Rally Point "presentation" ones being the most prominent.
    With what I did see, the UI looked a little meh. I wasn't in love with the unit cards or the city management, but I would reserve judgment until it came out.

3AM EST, September 3rd. My body is ready. The 9.9 gig download is ready to be unpacked and be played immediately.
    4am EST. Apparently it takes an hour for me to unpack this thing. Okay. I'm still going strong.

I boot up the game, I watch the epic intro. Awesome. First thing I do is go to settings. I have an old Macbook pro with a 330m graphics card (bare minimum.) The game had me in Very High settings. That can't be right. I'll do medium.
    And then I start the prologue. My first impression. Why am I playing an N64 game? Why are Rome 1's graphics better? Oh well, let's actually play!
    I beat up some Samnites or whatever, I kill some catapults. My allies are yapping. Yada yada yada, I'll get there eventually, let me cross this river.
    "Sir, we are overrun!" DEFEAT!
    Uh what? It was timed? Hurm. Okay.
    So I replay the prologue, this time rushing to past that stupid river. Cutscene here cutscene there, and I beat it. Cool.

Prologue 2 starts. City Management. All right. I learn about buildings and stances and reinforcements cool.
    I expand all my land to see what I can build. This is a mistake. If you expand your land and not build anything, you get punished via slums that appear. But you have to expand first to see what you can build. But you have no idea how much the buildings cost. This is stupid.
    I have to attack a port or something. I put my army in the water, and some boats magically appear (and count towards my unit upkeep, thanks, so now I'm making negative money.)
    "Merge with the navy." All right. Hold on I'm getting attacked by these boats, I'll wait a turn. Nope. Since I didn't merge then and there, I have some annoying checkbox that won't go away. So I reload. And the screen gets stuck. I can't move, I can't click on anything, I can't interact This is not a good first impression.
    I am barely making enough money, I sort of stop caring. I eventually have to siege some capital city or something. I build what looks like the Rams from the first game. BIG MISTAKE. They are just wooden shields or something. I reload realizing my mistake. But the game FORCES you to attack that turn. If you move away, you can't do anything. Crap. So I reload again earlier (glad I saved often.) I build stupid ladders this time. And I beat the prologue. Yay. (Irony: I can apparently take out gates with units. Thanks for telling me this game.)
    I did not get an achievement. It's called like Quaestor or something. So I reload and do it AGAIN. No achievement. And I view the prologue screen and it says Prologue 3, which I just beat, is still locked.

Aye aye aye.

I do an actual game. It's pretty cool. I choose Cornelia Rome. I get a negative penalty to Latin Culture. All right. I won't spread any culture.
    Food problems. Public order problems. I have 2 armies. If I want to move back and upgrade/buy units from Rome, I have to move the whole army. I do that, I get attacked by a two stack army from the north. Okay. I have to WASTE a general to act as a courier to move troops around. Sheesh.
    No family system. No sons, no daughters. There was some random thing about an adopted son. I said, sure he's mine. And nothing happened. It said "General" in green as a reward, but I didn't get a new son. Okay that's bugged.
    I was looking at some traits. The tooltip didn't show up. Bugged.
    I was doing a naval battle. I have a ship with like 40 dudes. Let's board this enemy. He gets stuck, and I lose all my units. Bugged.
    Province screen? Don't like it. You have client allies in the other three? Sorry you can't issue an edict.
    Cities have limited slots. And all the buildings are boring and lame. And there are like 60 of them. Let's have 4 different docks with barely any change in stats.
    Can't do 1v1 custom battles. Generals have to be present. Custom battles have limited slots for some units.
    Units are just reskins of each other. Iberian Swordsman! Cool! Nope, just reskinned Hastati. :(
    And the turn times! 2-5 minutes waiting for these other factions that I don't care about.

So depressed. I am going to go play the older games. Oh Shogun 2. My dear love. You never let me down.
  18. Sep 5, 2013
    I would like to get my money back because of false advertising. Shogun 2 was a great game, but this one is crappy mess. So many things are missing: family trees, walls in minor cities, old building system and population numbers. UI is terrible! Worst game of 2013!
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    Quake 2 like graphics due to untweakable bugs, dummy AI, strange stuttering? (Benny hill sensation).
    Seems a bit rushed to release but it could have good potential if improved. Lot of tweaking/optimization needed.
    Maybe it will be fixed someday, i'd suggest waiting on buy, you could have a better experience at a lower price.
  20. Sep 6, 2013
    In past times, when you buy game, that is that. You know what you get for your money. Today, every game must release patch in 2 week period. What that tell us? They build games for profit now, not for the gamers. They all have sweet advertising, buy our game it is the best. This game just sucks. I have monster pc, but i cant play it on high, frps drops everywhere, even on campaign map, theIn past times, when you buy game, that is that. You know what you get for your money. Today, every game must release patch in 2 week period. What that tell us? They build games for profit now, not for the gamers. They all have sweet advertising, buy our game it is the best. This game just sucks. I have monster pc, but i cant play it on high, frps drops everywhere, even on campaign map, the longest battle was 6 min, that is just funny and not good. You cant have trade agreement with no one, even if you are "same blood" people. Maybe some people dont have problems with graphics, but everyone have problems with in-game setup. People who say this is good game simply lie, maybe they are paid from SEGA to talk such lies, but core of the problem is simply this game isnt FINISH Expand
  21. Sep 7, 2013
    As many i preordered as the city state dlc come with it, everyones want to try sparta...Sadly i am too impatient, should have wait for users reviews, as i cant find anything positive to say aboutt he game.

From the unoptimized graphic engine, lagging strategic map, unintuitive UI, abysmal AI nothing is done right, its an alpha test or its similar to those steam indies early access, clearly not worth full retail price.

Everything is a step backward compared to shogun 2 and 4-5 min inactivity after pressing end turn doesnt lighten the mood.
    Theres nothing working, its sounds like theres part of the code missing, the AI never declares war to you wonder why its called total war.
    Sometimes throwing small armies to their doom without any hope to success, sometimes jsut standing there completely frozen One thing i noticed is its never ever doing well in any city battle. You probalby seen the "genious AI" gameplay videos those are completely true alas.

Maybe after intensive patching and heavy modding it will be great but as of right now a,void avoid avoid!
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    system:
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670
    i5-3570 CPU 3.40GHz 16GB Ram 45 hours of gameplay extreme settings with ~38 fps ~5 crashes creative assembly has laid siege to the total war series and they are willing to raise the franchise to another level of depth. the worst: The AI in Total War Rome 2 is very persistent in doing nothing or sending one unit at once into the ensured death
    system:
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670
    i5-3570 CPU 3.40GHz
    16GB Ram

45 hours of gameplay
    extreme settings with ~38 fps
    ~5 crashes

to another level of depth.

the worst:
    The AI in Total War Rome 2 is very persistent in doing nothing or sending one unit at once into the ensured death and no they aren't trying to lure you into a trap.
    The game is rushed like their ground Units are rushing, but god thanks they are only a pack of suicidal morons, who are absolutely free of any creativity besides waiting, smashing gates, running to the flag.

the bad:
    On some maps:
    can't deploy units near a ledge or on other accessible places (walls, meadows)
    lack of anchoring places, the AI can't debark all units
    AI smashes a gate of a building which isn't connected to anything and then they wait

units die to fast
    nearly extinguished Units replenish instantly without loosing experience
    no family tree
    Generals spam
    Generals now have magic abilities
    no skill-tree
    ugly UI
    town system and research looks and feels like a part of a browser game

total war has changed to another pretty shallow game for people who want no challenge and their enemies in a vegetative state

auto-resolve or you will die mentally
  23. Sep 9, 2013
    As a long time fan of the series, I want to write a quality review, but I can't. This game is BROKEN. It makes me sick to see critics giving this game 100. That is simply dishonest and insulting to the gaming community. Releasing a game in this condition is simply inexcusable.
  24. Sep 9, 2013
    A poor excuse for a game which I'm frankly shocked by. after playing 30 hours of this broken, incomplete game I'm surprised that they where able to charge money for this mess.

-The AI in total war games has always been lacking but never to the point where factions will not engage you on the campaign map and will walk right up to your formations on the battle map and then run away without any reason.

-WARNING- do not even attempt a naval battle they are completely bugged (My Gran could code better AI) the ships will randomly chose to ram or to board depending on how the game is feeling.

-WTF decision to add capture point on land battles which removes all tactics making you rush for the flag making it feel like a game of domination from COD

-The game will rape your PC even on the lower settings. The lowest graphical setting look worse than the original total war which is shocking.

-The game does not run smoothly at all, just panning the camera will look like a power point presentation

-THE MAIN POINT why on Earth was there no public demo or beta to iron out these bugs in the first place, personally I feel as though CA and SEGA (SEGA (SCUM)) should have paid the 'per-orderors' of this game instead of us paying them.

Also the lack of pre-launch content e.g. videos, previews and next to no details on the multiplayer which is by the way completely F*****.

To concluded I have lost all faith in the total franchise which in my opinion was day light robbery of the fans money, shame on you for this shambles of a game.

A FINAL MESSAGE TO THE DEVS-

What where you thinking you fools!

One does not simply release a game in this state!
  25. Sep 9, 2013
    I'm pretty sure this game is unplayable, I don't understand how the critic reviews are so high, are they getting bribed or something??
    the game should be a pre-alpha.
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    If a game is unplayable, it's not even a game. It's a pile of ****.

>Terrible UI that takes up 50% of my screen
    >THE FLAG!!! REMOVE IT
    >Broken naval battles
    >Navies now worthless
    >Terrible senate system
    >No family tree
    >Terrible skill upgrade system
    >A.I. worse than rome 1 total war.

0/10. Entire franchise ruined. Good damn job.
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    So so angry & so disappointed. This has to be the worst game in the franchise by quite some way. Useless AI coupled with terrible design and game play choices make this a complete waste of not only your time, but also your hard earned money. I can sincerely say with hand on heart that the company's involved in creating this turd deserve to go bankrupt. I cannot put into words the utterSo so angry & so disappointed. This has to be the worst game in the franchise by quite some way. Useless AI coupled with terrible design and game play choices make this a complete waste of not only your time, but also your hard earned money. I can sincerely say with hand on heart that the company's involved in creating this turd deserve to go bankrupt. I cannot put into words the utter contempt I feel for them right now. PLEASE ignore ANY positive reviews, as they are obviously from paid shills. Expand
  28. Jan 31, 2014
    5 months, 9 patches, still garbage game. Creative Assembly is officially dead to me. You have only yourself to blame if you buy their terrible games anymore.
  29. Sep 26, 2013
    This game will only work great and best on the very best of home computers. CA implemented a graphic memory change for Rome 2. Napoleon and Shogun 2 you'd just pick your graphic settings, and off you go and play and have fun. With Rome2, you have this annoying feature that always checks if your overbudget on memory and if you are, the game downgrades you to a graphic setting the gameThis game will only work great and best on the very best of home computers. CA implemented a graphic memory change for Rome 2. Napoleon and Shogun 2 you'd just pick your graphic settings, and off you go and play and have fun. With Rome2, you have this annoying feature that always checks if your overbudget on memory and if you are, the game downgrades you to a graphic setting the game wants. The graphics after this process look bad. I think this new feature has caused more headaches than its worth. The Campaign map. Is well done. I like it. The Campaign AI has improved since Patch 3

Campaign Battles. AI has no plan, but to engage your army in head on fight in a matter of minutes. Zooming in to units fighting. Rome drops frame rates like crazy. 2,000 soldiers isn't a big army. Frame rates should not be dropping to the extend they are, more so, as your graphics too have been downgraded to fight a battle. For me overall, Rome 2 is the worst total war of the series. I never stopped playing Empire because of the bugs and glitches. I still had fun with it. Rome 2, i can't do the same. Sega, seems to be at allowing games to be sold that are unfinished. I think gamers need to refuse to buy any game that Sega publishes from now on.
  30. Sep 27, 2013
    I was very hopeful seeing the trailers and as i loved the sieges in med 2 total war, was hoping this would be great. Weeks after the game has been released and after a few patches the bugs that anooyed me are still there or not really improved. The enemy AI has a habit during sieges to stand there sometimes for an hour even though they outnumber you 10-1 The only way to win was put itI was very hopeful seeing the trailers and as i loved the sieges in med 2 total war, was hoping this would be great. Weeks after the game has been released and after a few patches the bugs that anooyed me are still there or not really improved. The enemy AI has a habit during sieges to stand there sometimes for an hour even though they outnumber you 10-1 The only way to win was put it on speedx4 and wait until the siege was over. Sending out troops did nothing other than lose a unit entirelly or they flee. If a 2gb patch came in the morning and fixed everything id stick to my guns with the rating some people were waiting for this game for years and were dissapointed Expand
  31. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is a total buggy mess. The state this game was released is unbelievable. The graphics have frequent errors, major random frame drops and the AI in this game is broken. The only reason why i gave this game a 1, was because of the new feature the unit camera which was a nice cinematic improvement to the game but this being its only good feature this game has a lot of explaining toThis game is a total buggy mess. The state this game was released is unbelievable. The graphics have frequent errors, major random frame drops and the AI in this game is broken. The only reason why i gave this game a 1, was because of the new feature the unit camera which was a nice cinematic improvement to the game but this being its only good feature this game has a lot of explaining to do. I also find the gameplay quite bland, because instead of adding to shogun 2 they took away many nice features and messing up the tech tree a whole lot. This game should not be getting the review of critics it should be getting and a 50 meta score is the maximum this game could get, but even that is stretching the limit. Overall this game is a waste of money and should not have been pushed out by the creators because of the hype. It upset many fans turning their backs on the total war franchise making the total was series in need of redemption. fix AI, fix frame problems and textures, shorter turns (PLEASE) and maybe this game deserves a 70 Expand
  32. Nov 7, 2013
    Horrible UI.
    Horrendously confusing unit cards.
    Poorly optimized.
    Fix the triremes.
    Where is my guard button.
    Make a unit card that covers half my screen.

2/10 for releasing.

Glad I paid 60$ for beta testing.
  33. Nov 8, 2013
    This is by far the most disappointed I've ever been about a game. I expected a game that would stand tall along side Shogun 2 and the original Rome total war. I sure that with this game we'd forget the horrors of Empire and Napoleon. But alas, that;s not what we got. This game was ultimately broken on release, and even now it still doesn't run as it should... The UI is terrible, the AI isThis is by far the most disappointed I've ever been about a game. I expected a game that would stand tall along side Shogun 2 and the original Rome total war. I sure that with this game we'd forget the horrors of Empire and Napoleon. But alas, that;s not what we got. This game was ultimately broken on release, and even now it still doesn't run as it should... The UI is terrible, the AI is somehow worse than previous games, and most of the factions 'unique' units are just re-skins of a basic skirmisher or whatever with slightly buffed stats. This game is probably the worst total war game of the lot, I could at least (maybe) see the appeal of Empire and Napoleon but there's no reason to play this over the original Rome total war, or any other total war, or even game for that matter. This is just garbage, and if you defend this game, you're a shameless fan boy.

Seriously though where did the budget for this game go, it's a mess. It does not even compare with it's predecessors or games like Europa Universalis IV (which had a tiny budget by comparison.

I guess they spent all the money on porn and top quality tissues.
  34. Jan 11, 2014
    based on what it offers, I'd say: 8/10 for the battles (very well done, but just the same as in previous games),, 9/10 for the faction variety (a step forward from the Shogun 2, which was boring in lacking any variety), but 0/10 for the strategic part: the building tree and the tech tree are tiny, their descriptions are unclear and effects not felt, they were so lazy that building/techsbased on what it offers, I'd say: 8/10 for the battles (very well done, but just the same as in previous games),, 9/10 for the faction variety (a step forward from the Shogun 2, which was boring in lacking any variety), but 0/10 for the strategic part: the building tree and the tech tree are tiny, their descriptions are unclear and effects not felt, they were so lazy that building/techs don't even have pictures! the commerce is also totally undeveloped, the resources don't matter, and so on, so in the strategic map part there just is no fun in playing any more. NONE! Plus the fact that fleets now invade port cities, which is very frustrating, cause while you can afford about 3 or 4 armies and kick ass with them, you cannot afford armies in all ports, and you will constantly lose them. So an average of 5,7 based on the ratings above. but in reality for me it was a 2/10, because played it for a few days and uninstalled it forever, while TW Medieval 2 I still play now, after endless games. Expand
  35. Aug 22, 2014
    So Rome 2, Worse than i had hoped for, pretty much sums it up. But I suppose i should add more. My first experience was an all night download update after the initial install, followed by another 6 hour download, followed by another one.

Then i couldn't load the game because the steam "auto start" screen wouldn't open to the correct size. Once i finally got to play it, it was weird. I have played and own all the total war games, and i was confused. Took me a couple of solid days of play to get my head around the city building.

The combat mechanics are nothing we haven't seen before. The AI is nothing we haven't seen before. The gazillion factions make turn ending take forever. The graphics use massive resources(again nothing new there) but load times are acceptable.

Naval combat is just impossible to enjoy and I have just resorted to auto resolve. A real step backwards Creative Assembly.

Attacking siege battles are also incredibly difficult as the auto build siege equipment just doesn't really do anything except let your troops get killed. Again I have resorted to auto resolve and again a step backwards Creative Assembly.

What's with all the army formations that no one uses, just learn from your mistakes from Shogun 2, don't repeat them.

Diplomacy again nothing we haven't seen before

Did the developers at Creative Assembly have a stroke?

Anyone notice the massive sore difference between the critic score and the user score. Clearly the critics enjoy getting payed and not playing computer games.

Most people believe that you can't polish a turd, but Creative Assembly have sure done a mighty fine job of polishing this one.
  36. Sep 5, 2013
    Terrible release, full of bugs and incredibly questionable game mechanic decisions..Diplomacy and battles AI are broken, game code in unoptimized. they removed several features from previous games and dumbed it down for no apparent reason.Some stuff will be fixed by community and/or CA but other things (like flag points in battles are not possible to remove and they are killing the game.Terrible release, full of bugs and incredibly questionable game mechanic decisions..Diplomacy and battles AI are broken, game code in unoptimized. they removed several features from previous games and dumbed it down for no apparent reason.Some stuff will be fixed by community and/or CA but other things (like flag points in battles are not possible to remove and they are killing the game.

Wait till it's fixed and in bargain bin, not worth full price att
  37. Sep 24, 2013
    Very buggy AI (Unit AI is so bad its destroying the game right now) and not much to do in the game. Got bored very fast.
    Also, VERY expensive DLC that gives you basicly nothing. Feels like a rip-off.
  38. Sep 4, 2013
    I'm shocked, did not expect this from Creative Assembly, game simply is unplayable, 15-25 fps on strategic map on minimal settings...
    CA give me back my money!
  39. Dec 30, 2013
    I have just played this game and its extremely bad. Nothing is properly done. Diplomacy is useless as nobody accepts any trade no matter what. AI is exactly the same as in medieval total war, more stupid than a donkey. Difficulty in campaign is based on giving factions ridiculous amounts of money to waste it. Battle AI is based con ridiculous stats buffs to enemies. Capturing settlementsI have just played this game and its extremely bad. Nothing is properly done. Diplomacy is useless as nobody accepts any trade no matter what. AI is exactly the same as in medieval total war, more stupid than a donkey. Difficulty in campaign is based on giving factions ridiculous amounts of money to waste it. Battle AI is based con ridiculous stats buffs to enemies. Capturing settlements is a pain in the ass due to ridiculous mechanics that do not work properly, attacking a city and slaughtering all enemies do not lead to capturing the city WTF. Also during battle units are unresponsive no matter what you do and performance is extremely bad even in low graphics with an extremely powerful computer. This is unacceptable for a saga with so many years.

DLC leeching for normal features and units that should be in-game.

And the worst thing is that we don't have DarthVader anymore to fix CA games. I really hope he makes a new saga of games that makes CA go bankrupt.
  40. Sep 9, 2014
    The first Rome Total War is one of my all time favorite games. With eager anticipation I pre-ordered Rome 2 on Steam after many years of waiting. However, I immediately had trouble running the game after the release, not a unique experience of course. I consoled myself with the fact that my pc was old and that it was at fault that the game was nearly unplayable.

Fast forward almost

Fast forward almost exactly a year later. After getting enough money together for a new gaming PC, I eagerly installed Rome 2 to finally have a real crack at the game. Sad to say, after 4 hours of play I find myself very disappointed. Even after a year of patches I find the campaign AI to be erratic and units in battle glitchy. The weird looking faces on the campaign map characters still happens and I generally feel that things are still a mess. I hope Creative Assembly learns from the mistakes it made with this game. It wasn't ready for release a year ago and, in view of the current state of the game, I think its still not at a place where it should be released had it been delayed until this year. Creative Assembly has been a company that has shown true vision over the years, I hope they haven't lost that.
  41. Sep 5, 2013
    RIP Total War, this is last time I got tricked into buying Total War game.I feel cheated and robbed, my fault I believed hype but at least no money for DLC !

1.Game looks like crap textures are blurry and ugly 2.AA doesn't work !!! 3.Music is dull and boring, sounds are reused from older titles especially extremly loud and annoying marching sound when you zoom in, 4.There is no

1.Game looks like crap textures are blurry and ugly
    2.AA doesn't work !!!
    4.There is no way to switch off bloom and everything shines and reflects
    5.Soldiers run too fast poor game mechanics.
    6.Army cards are ugly and confusing difficult to recognize troops

Ancient Medieval 2 has better graphics,gameplay and realistic soldiers movements.Game is totally dumbed down,people who made this 'game' should take a look at masterpieces like Medieval 2 or Rome 1 to see what this is all about.Biggest disappointement of 2013, save your money and don't buy it until it's 90% OFF.
  42. Sep 2, 2014
    Total War: Rome 2 was released a year ago tomorrow, and it is still broken.

I'm a huge Total War fan. I've played every Total War game to date. Most I have logged hundreds of hours into with no regrets, until today. I was nearly half way through a promising new Macedonian grand campaign, when my controlled Athens fell under siege. It was a big surprise attack with massive game
    Total War: Rome 2 was released a year ago tomorrow, and it is still broken.

I was nearly half way through a promising new Macedonian grand campaign, when my controlled Athens fell under siege. It was a big surprise attack with massive game changing consequences on the line. The enemy brought several full army’s for a beach landing invasion of my Greek city. I had a full garrison complement and a veteran army to defend the city. It was sure to be a bloody, glorious day, win or lose. About 10 minutes into the battle the game started to stutter. A known problem since the games launch. It wasn't as bad as I had seen in before so I tried to play through it. The games stuttering increased the more I played. Like struggling in quicksand, it only got worse. Since the stuttering was also slowing down in game time, I had been playing this single battle for well over an hour. And it wasn't enjoyable one bit. My only option left was to quit the game. Which I did. But after seeing this game breaking bug/flaw one to many times. I decided to uninstall the game for good.

This is just the straw that broke the camels back. There were countless glitches and flaws in this game that made it a broken and/or bad game. I know that such glitches have plagued the Total War series since its inception, but they never ruined the experience quite like this before.

Total War: Rome 2 is a truly shameful display.
  43. Oct 13, 2013
    This game clearly needed at least 3 more months in development and that's being generous. From the hype/propaganda spread by CA/Sega/Craig/Will to the quite numerous bugs and performance issues as well as features from previous TW titles mysteriously omitted. Add to that a 60$ price tag and possibly more if you purchase if you add the Greek states DLC and you can see how the game hasThis game clearly needed at least 3 more months in development and that's being generous. From the hype/propaganda spread by CA/Sega/Craig/Will to the quite numerous bugs and performance issues as well as features from previous TW titles mysteriously omitted. Add to that a 60$ price tag and possibly more if you purchase if you add the Greek states DLC and you can see how the game has gotten below average reviews. I have seen titles made by smaller development teams for half the price of R2 that were more polished.
    I myself will never purchase another CA product upon release and in all likelihood possibly never.
    Caveat Emptor{Buyer Beware}....
  44. Sep 3, 2013
    Where to start? Well not a whole lot of technical problems can't run it at ultra but already knew that.

Problems are many mainly don't feel part of the game like in older TW games were you controlled most everything and interaction with the game made you feel part of it. Not going to happen here feel no connection with my faction at all. Avatars are the ugliest I have seen in 10

Avatars are the ugliest I have seen in 10 years they are that bad and when they talk they just open and close their mouths do not even remotely connect to the speech.

It took two years to sail from Rome to the other side of Corsica. I think my army would have starved. The 1 year turn sucks.

The battles I will say the units respond better and pathing is much better in this release. The biggest problem with battles is they are over in like 3 to 6 mins. The units make contact 30 seconds later one or the other is running.

The biggest let down though is the lack of feel part of the game that has always been something I loved about TW and it just doesn't exist here. The technology tree went backwards and is not interesting at all. The city control is bad and not interesting at all. Raising armies is way to easy and being connected to a General is stupid. With one year turns and taking two to land and army on Corsica there is no way in hell I will ever get to enjoy the huge world.

In the end I don't really care if I go back to playing or not there is no excitement like "Wow I need to go to the store ok one more hour I will go!" Nah I leave the game all time have really no care if I play it or not most likely will too see if it gets better but with already many turns gone I doubt it.
  45. Sep 11, 2013
    As usual the Critic reviews were bought, and as any other TW release it is a pile of code crap. The AI is even worse than previous games! Just wait a year for the modders to fix the game and buy it on discount from Steam. Unfortunately that is the standard procedure for any TW games. God bless the modders.
  46. Sep 4, 2013
    Starting playing with Total War games with the original Shogun. Played them all. This one is by far the most disappointing. I am very sad to say that it fails to meet expectations on so many levels. The strategic side of the game is pretty decent though not so good that it can make up for the main issue which is the tactical games. They are a joke. Blob versus blob not like an ancientStarting playing with Total War games with the original Shogun. Played them all. This one is by far the most disappointing. I am very sad to say that it fails to meet expectations on so many levels. The strategic side of the game is pretty decent though not so good that it can make up for the main issue which is the tactical games. They are a joke. Blob versus blob not like an ancient battle at all. The speed is comical. Usain Bolt would struggle to keep up with these guys lugging around 4 meter pikes and wearing full armour. Formations don't really exist. On contact your units just fall into an unformed blob. Units turn on a dime. There are plenty of other issues but I can't bring myself to play another minute of this game as is. I'd rather be at work................ Expand
  47. Sep 6, 2013
    This is the biggest game launch failure i have ever seen. The game is not even in beta stage at the moment and should have not been launched at least until 6 more months of development. Paying 60 euros for this garbage has convinced me to never again buy one of Creative Assembly games again. Ever.
  48. Sep 15, 2013
    Beautiful game with so much potential. Game breaking crash bug at turn 57 on Suebi campaign. AI is almost non-existent. Poorly optimized graphics. Aside from the bugs and crashes VERY fun.
    It's a game of magnificent scope and ambition, but is CLEARLY in beta phase. I am very much looking forward to the final version after some patches.
  49. Sep 3, 2013
    The single player is reasonably good. I wouldn't say it's much of an improvement to its predecessor, Shogun 2, but nevertheless it's fun to play.

However the multiplayer experience has been entirely ruined in this latest offering from Creative Assembly. They removed the Avatars, the veteran units and vet progression, the leaderboards, the clan battles, and much else. They made the entire game experience harder. For example in Shogun2 when choosing your units, you would automatically see the statistics of each unit when you click on it. In Rome2 you have to right click on each one and bring up a slow-to-load properties window that gives you the stats on each unit, which makes the experience of picking an army tiresome and slow. And to add to that, it's almost impossible to distinguish units apart as the icons for them are the same, and the flags they carry on the field do not distinguish unit type, only weapon type.

Why did they take something beautiful and ruin it?
  50. Sep 5, 2013
    As someone that is following TW franchise from first release, i was unpleasantly surprised with RTW2. Past experience with Warscape engine sent clear warning many times. I guess i believed that they can't let their biggest title fail in such a horrible way. Rome Total war was a game that allowed them to expand and experiment with rest of sequels. MTW2 followed that line on great level andAs someone that is following TW franchise from first release, i was unpleasantly surprised with RTW2. Past experience with Warscape engine sent clear warning many times. I guess i believed that they can't let their biggest title fail in such a horrible way. Rome Total war was a game that allowed them to expand and experiment with rest of sequels. MTW2 followed that line on great level and combined with mods its one of the best games ever.

Problems started with Warscape engine. Empire Total War. There is no need to talk about this product. It was a clear example how not to make an rts. Warscape is probably one of the most unfinished and strategy unfriendly engines ever. It was bad presenting gunpowder units but much worst in melee combat.

After few more titles released in the last couple of years, they managed to pull the best of this software. It was far away from perfect, but Napoleon and Shogun were much better. They mastered the look of campaign map. New role-play elements with Generals and agents were welcomed by all fans.

In all Warscape titles, one thing was heavily missing to make those games worthy successor of RTW or MTW2. Battles. From the very start, its was clear that this engine cannot produce interesting and fun battles. Not on the level that previous one could. Not even close. Every melee battle looked like hooligan street fighting after a very bad derby. No tactics. No Strategy. Just a mess with a lot of movement and different colors.

What CA did is that instead of working on new engine, they decided to build Ancient RTS on engine that doesn't support melee combat and strategy at all. Complex formations like Phalanx or Cohort pilum attack that were made 10 years ago now don't exist. This software simply can't follow ancient warfare. Basic rts elements like "guard mode" are erased from game. There is no flanking with cavalry cause flanks don't exist no more. Everything is over in a 3 minutes.

I will not even enter into bug/crashed/freezes subjects. They exist, and game is far way from finished.

Once again, CA repeated same story. They exploit warscape so many times with different set of models and textures that they didn't feel any guilt to do this again. They perfectly calculated that investing in marketing branch and recycling the old stuff cost much less that building new engine. Then, as always before every major release, Laurel and Hardy shows their funny faces, hyping you to death with fake images and gameplay shots. Material that's always somehow deleted from official game cause it didn't fit. They are actually presenting that as they did a favor to fans cause it would hurt gamplay or make game unstable, bugged....

Total War Rome 2 is a school example of false advertising and CA fraud.

After this one, I just hope that the franchise is done and they're finally done milking the title that made them great many years ago.

Rating 1 Just because campaign map still looks beautiful
  51. Sep 10, 2013
    Well, what a surprise, obviously CA DID NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE ORIGINAL RTW! ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS KEEP WHAT THE ORIGINAL GAME HAD AND IMPROVE ON IT! THEY FAILED AS BAD AS THE OPRAH NETWORK ON IT, IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND HOW BAD THIS GAME IS. THE AI IS BRAINLESS AND SOME GENIUS WHO THOUGHT CAPTURE POINTS ON A BATTLEFIELD BATTLE WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA SHOULD GET FIRED DAMN! THE AI IS LIKEWell, what a surprise, obviously CA DID NOT LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE ORIGINAL RTW! ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS KEEP WHAT THE ORIGINAL GAME HAD AND IMPROVE ON IT! THEY FAILED AS BAD AS THE OPRAH NETWORK ON IT, IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND HOW BAD THIS GAME IS. THE AI IS BRAINLESS AND SOME GENIUS WHO THOUGHT CAPTURE POINTS ON A BATTLEFIELD BATTLE WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA SHOULD GET FIRED DAMN! THE AI IS LIKE EMPIRE DUMB, IF ANYTHING THIS GAME SHOULD OF BEEN FREE TO MAKE UP FOR THE FAILURE THAT EMPIRE WAS BUT NO THEY US MORE BY TRYING TO SELL EVERYONE WHO DIDNT PREORDER DLC. ALL FIGHTS ARE MOB FIGHTS ITS NASTY, ROMANS FIGHT LIKE BARBARIANS U CANT STAND GUARD AND FIRE AT WILL WITH COHORTS LIKE ORIGINAL RTW BUT IN ORDER TO USE IT YOU GOT TO CHARGE WHICH IS HORRIBLE IF YOUR ON DEFENSE! WOW, ALL I KNOW IS THERE GETTING A 0 FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT CHARGING DLC WHICH IS A RIP OFF, WHY DID I PAY $60 FOR 70% OF THE GAME FOR THEM TO SELL ME SECTIONS OF IT LATER IN THE DLC??????? BAD BAD BAD, THE ORIGINAL ROME TOTAL WAR HAD IT ALL AND STILL DOES WHICH IS SAD CONSIDERING ITS BEEN 10 YEARS AND THEY HAVENT LEARNED FROM WHAT MADE THAT GAME SO GREAT ITS JUST SAD AND SICKINING, DAMN IS CAMPAIGN BORING, HARD IS LIKE EASY ON THIS GAME AND EASY IS LIKE INVINCIBILITY. HELL THE EXPANSION BARBARIAN INVASION HAD A TON MORE CONTENT THEN THIS GAME SAD! DO NOT BUY Expand
  52. Oct 11, 2013
    Pre-ordered this game in hopes I could play it with my bro-sef come launch in some co-op fun.
    We knew it would kind of suck at first, but a day-of patch would probably smooth it out.
    The patch never came. Long story short the lan-party ended in hostility and misery. This is a game that has caused so many gamers grief both emotionally and physically and deserves every gamer with a

This is a game that has caused so many gamers grief both emotionally and physically and deserves every gamer with a conceince and self-respect to deny these greedy f'''n publishers anymore of your money.

I recommend a title called Star Citizen; funded BY gamers FOR gamers. I can't recommend pledging some money their way (even the $5 pack called 'Shutup and take my money' [why i personally bought] is a good choice.) the alpha will launch late december 2013. The graphics will be crazy, the game will be designed by the choices gamers make, there is even a competetion started recently to design ships that will be purchasable in-game!

Plugging for my favourite franchise aside I have to say this game was the straw on the camels back in terms of respected developers turning their proverbial backs on gamers en-masse (Blizzard, EA, Firefly, Microsoft list goes on).

I am tired of listening to your wonderful promises and being delivered lemon game after lemon game. Enough is enough. You get a zero not due to the poorness of this game specifically but due to the context of an already gouged PC market.

For shame Casual Assembly, for shame. Another hero of the gaming gods fades from its former glory into an EA abyss of bargin-bin titles that gamers scoff' at.
  53. Dec 5, 2013
    This game is absolute piss. Play Rome 1 or Medieval 2 and weep for it. Don't waste your time actually trying to have fun on this boring garbage. The biggest disappointment in gaming history.
  54. Sep 14, 2013
    Big deception all over this game. Too long between tours (take your coffee), very poor AI, bad research system, battles are too easy, Navy battles are ridiculous. City and Army Management is dull.

General Map is nice.

I return to the original Rome Total War
  55. Feb 14, 2014
    No, I didn't play it, just counter balancing all their paid for voters. Also still upset at the BS they released that was called empire total war. I said I would never purchase a total war game again after I got that half off, and felt cheated out of my money. Only played it an hour or two tops and in one battle, I saw the ai kill its own general with its first barrage of canon fire, thenNo, I didn't play it, just counter balancing all their paid for voters. Also still upset at the BS they released that was called empire total war. I said I would never purchase a total war game again after I got that half off, and felt cheated out of my money. Only played it an hour or two tops and in one battle, I saw the ai kill its own general with its first barrage of canon fire, then had a unit completely freeze, and then watched the ai abandon its cannons to charge my fort with its cannoneers.

Well, I did buy shogun total war, when it was 85% off, and still felt it wasn't worth it. Within 10 turns I had by far the strongest faction, and within 30 I controlled a quarter of japan, and I wasn't playing on easy. Diplomacy was completely broken, I would attack a faction, then make then pay me insane amounts of tribute for peace, then rinse and repeat. It was supposed to be their best release in the last few years, and yet I found it boring, easy, and less complex than the original shogun total war. I felt it wasn't worth it, at 85% off.

IMHO, Creative Assembly needs to rename their total war series Total CRAP, which would be more fitting for their dumbed down glitchfests, which they try to sell for triple A prices after they pay for positive reviews. They managed to keep empire at an average of 90 from critic review, which has told me a lot about who not to trust for accurate reviews.
  56. Sep 10, 2013
    Its fairly easy to say Rome 2 may be the worst Total War game in the series as it stands right after release, but damn does it hurt. Even Empire didn't feel this bad for me and it's likely due to Empire's problems having to do more with AI and smaller technical details than the blatant problems appearing in Rome 2. Unfortunately most the TW fans have taken the PreOrder Free DLC hook lineIts fairly easy to say Rome 2 may be the worst Total War game in the series as it stands right after release, but damn does it hurt. Even Empire didn't feel this bad for me and it's likely due to Empire's problems having to do more with AI and smaller technical details than the blatant problems appearing in Rome 2. Unfortunately most the TW fans have taken the PreOrder Free DLC hook line and sinker, but now its our job to try and warn other gamers about this game as it stands. It's easy for gamers not familiar with the problems plaguing CA's AI flaws to buy the game out of nostalgia for the Rome:TW brand, which is easily the most famous and most know game in the TW series.

The AI simply doesn't act competent in any way shape or form. Usually poor AI isn't a big deal for us TW fans, we've seen it before and usually upped the settings for a tougher challenge(not anymore). Most TW AI is at least smart enough to exploit flanks and run down archers in battle, while attacking major cities with larger stacks on the campaign map. Rome 2's AI however suffers from some of worst AI I've ever seen in a strategy game and worse it feels like CA has added deliberately gamey features to cover over its incomplete AI. Units will charge solo then turn tail before impact with a better unit, allowing your ranged units to sit behind and slowly pelt them to death. When a unit does decide to charge it'll send all of its units (including archers) into the front of Phalanx and Legionaries without trying to first use its ranged units to dwindle your numbers or exploit flanks along alternate routes. These are things you could see the AI doing to some extent in Shogun 2 on release, but are astonishingly absent from Rome 2. Formations, a staple of Ancient Roman period combat and often what won battles in Antiquity, completely dissolve into blobs when sent into combat; a far cry from the constant formation and impact units had in the original Rome:TW. Your well set phalanx and legion formations will collapse before impact (usually after throwing javelins), instead these units rely on puffed up numbers CA has put in to give those unit better strength, that was usually due to superior formation.

On the Campaign map, AI appear to always try to max out the number of armies they have, resulting in many factions having a 3 or more small Armies of 2 or 3 units, with only 1 army with a medium size force but no where near the number of units it needs to pose a threat. I have managed to find one army in the entire game with a massive unit stack at about turn 30. It came from a random barbarian tribe north of Greece and proceeded to wreck Macedonia, burn Athens, grind Sparta to dust until I could finally see it take out Epirus. Due to the AI splitting its forces, this single fluke army carved out an empire until I smashed it with a Legion half its size, discovering it was nothing more than a bunch of tier 1 troops. After you destroy a faction its remaining armies will then suicide charge with single unit stacks, rather than group up and attack as one.

Unit balance has become another major issue. Navies themselves are pointless (beyond later game catapult/ballista ships) while Land armies can instantly gain bigger ships, easily ram the smaller naval triremes and win most boarding actions due to land units having 200 men vs the 60 aboard naval units. That's if you can get the boarding function to work properly for yourself, leaving you forced to use ramming while the AI can pick and choose who to board, although I imagine this will be one of the first things fixed within a month. This makes the formidable Naval powers of Carthage and Athens feel no where near as formidable as they should be to take down. Elephants are far more over powered than they should and a single general unit with Elephants can destroy and entire army on its own. However the worst offender of poor balancing goes to the Roman dog units. These units have trainers which send out packs of dogs as shock troops, which historically were used to scare enemies and weaken them before the real Roman assault began. In Rome 2, however, you might as well build legions of just them as they can destroy units in seconds and stop an elephant or chariot charge dead in its tracks.

Rome 2 saving grace is its streamlined map and city management which is really well designed and its fantastic to see your cities grow in size. The technology tree is also streamlined, but still well displaced and easy to understand. I also like the number of factions and the map itself, but waiting for all of them to take their turn takes forever and don't dare play a co-op campaign.

Multiplayer is a huge step backwards however, as the great campaign style fight for territory multiplayer is completely gone, leaving only custom battles. The ability to also call on jump-in multiplayer battles while in campaign, first introduced in Napoleon:TW is also no where to be seen. A feature that could save the poor AI.
  57. Sep 16, 2013
    This game looked to be a new era in the Creative Assembly's star studded history. The pre-release hype, coupled with the amazing screen shots, and stunning CGI footage certainly seemed to reinforce this belief.
    Then the game was released. Not only did the single player campaign have bugs, but it had bugs that rendered the game nearly unplayable (minutes of wait time between turns, massive frame rate issues, and more). The game's AI is equally crippled. The enemy will hardly ever build a large army, and even when it does the army is comprised entirely of early game units, even 100's of turns into the game. The major factions, Carthage, Sparta, Egypt, Rome, Macedon, are all swallowed up by smaller factions because of the ignorance and idiocy of the game's AI.
    Battles rarely present a challenge, and this reflects poorly on the Creative Assembly.
    All in all, this game is a bust. Hardly worth your time, and you should only pick it up out of the bargain bin.
  58. Sep 3, 2013
    Needs work it has a lot of issues right now. crashing, diplomacy, AI, intuitive gameplay. Graphics are good though I wouldn't give it a 10 but we have to be fair about this 7.5 is closer to home it shouldn't get a 10 just because it's CA and RTW2
  59. Sep 8, 2013
    ET TU, CA?! (Total War for consoles)**

I was going to hold my tongue, but after having a reply to a CA forum post deleted and the thread locked, I figured why not take it to an uncensored forum? Many players of the TW series have commented on the seemingly unintuitive design decisions that separate this most recent iteration from its predecessors': - the removal of the family
    ET TU, CA?! (Total War for consoles)**

- the removal of the family tree
    - the removal of series defining formations/stances (loose/guard)
    - preventing individual unit campaign map movement without a general
    - oversized unit cards
    - shorter battles compared to previous versions

Why fix what is not broken?

These are not elements that taxed PCs' resources, but they might strain a next generation console's APU and limited RAM.

Removing or modifying these things does nothing to streamline the game for PCs, but it would likely help ease the burden imposed by a console port (i.e. fewer stances/formations to better accommodate controller play, larger unit cards for easier TV viewing, short battles for shorter attention spans, less individual army micromanagement through movement limitations, etc.).

CA has remained cagey with regard to their intentions on whether or not they plan to try and port it; to the point that the moderator that deleted my reply and locked the thread ("Rome 2 is designed for next gen consoles") responded with:

"No plans for any of this right now.

Thread closed."

Attentive readers will recognize that everything about this statement hinges on the word, "now."

Combined with the speed with which my reply was deleted and the thread locked, as some form of preemptive damage control, I'd say that all but answers the questions as to why this game is so watered down in ways that don't make sense; that's assuming that you can even play and don't have the technical issues that seem to have plagued a lot of people.

Thankfully, I have not had problems running the game, but it still feels off; like a game designed with intention of console porting.

Et tu, CA?!

You guys used to make amazing games that pushed boundaries and represented the epic potential of the PC.

I'll happily eat my words if this turns out not to be the case, but the signs are all there.
  60. Sep 4, 2013
    Disappointed, just disappointed! Confusing interface, graphics embarrassing. This game is full of bugs, slow and does not exceed 10 fps even at low resolution. Misleading advertising with full audio support for the Italian language that does not exist! Total failure.
  61. Sep 5, 2013
    Are you FUKIN kidding me? this is a absolutely disgraceful game, this is daylight robbery. why? well...

1) no refund, have fun with that. 2) This is beta...100%, people say total war games are buggy on release, well it's true but not a good excuse at ALL for a business. Especially since this game might very well be the worst of the series. 3) Bad performance period. (in all

1) no refund, have fun with that.

3) Bad performance period. (in all aspects)

4) A.I is abysmal, THIS right here is what broke the game for me. (campaign, naval and battle A.I) even on legendary!

5) completely misleading information about the game including the pre rendered screenshots(claiming they were in game footage) and the video's claiming they were "pre-alpha"

6) Day 1 DLC (red flags)

7) completely ignored the fans.

8) patches DO NOT COUNT. they released a beta period. (People rely on patches WAY too much)

9) 60$

10) graphics on extreme look like shogun 2 but worse.

Biggest over hyped game of 2013

final) do not buy this, if you own it, try to get a refund if you can immediately.
  62. Sep 24, 2013
    Every single CA game is broken upon release. There is absolutely no reason to release a game like this; its not your first rodeo. People will not put up with this forever.
  63. Sep 4, 2013
    So after I played over 10 hours, I will adjust my 10/10 to a 4/10. The AI is just too stupid, a donkey i a compliment to them! I can defeat 3 armys with 1 on legendery! The AI is killing the game.. Also, i have lag... while I can run all other newest games on ultra settings! I have to tune down alot of the settings to have 20+ fps.... stupid framerate! If they fix all of this, i willSo after I played over 10 hours, I will adjust my 10/10 to a 4/10. The AI is just too stupid, a donkey i a compliment to them! I can defeat 3 armys with 1 on legendery! The AI is killing the game.. Also, i have lag... while I can run all other newest games on ultra settings! I have to tune down alot of the settings to have 20+ fps.... stupid framerate! If they fix all of this, i will change again to a 8/10! I am very sad about this.... Expand
  64. Sep 16, 2013
    AI ability is the heart & guts of a RTS game, on this occasion CA promised great things and failed to deliver even the most basic elements. Thankfully I was able to get an exchange on the game. Software failures happen, what doesn't make sense however is CA pretending in their community campaign that the AI was anyway worthwhile.
  65. Nov 2, 2013
    Terrible AI, Game-breaking bugs, confusing UI, and terrible battles. This game clearly was not ready for release and everyone who bought it paid $60 for Alpha testing. Huge Disappointment.
  66. Sep 26, 2013
    Again we all got tricked into paying full price for a beta. I don't really think I need to tell you from all of the other posts that you shouldn't buy this game until they fix everything. It's too bad too because it is a great game, it's just not complete and full of bugs and crashes for most people. The game actually runs okay for me but three of my other friends who also paid the steepAgain we all got tricked into paying full price for a beta. I don't really think I need to tell you from all of the other posts that you shouldn't buy this game until they fix everything. It's too bad too because it is a great game, it's just not complete and full of bugs and crashes for most people. The game actually runs okay for me but three of my other friends who also paid the steep $70 price at launch can't even play the game three weeks after launch. Expand
  67. Jan 19, 2014
    It's a superficial game, without any history connections, without any sense. It has a lot of bugs, the artworks (expecially in diplomacy) come directly from the last century. With an i5 4670k oc+ gtx770 2gb oc the graphics in battle still sucks, but you need to install it on ssd if you don't want to wait 2 minutes when you pass the turn. The worst total war ever. Rome 1 is better, believeIt's a superficial game, without any history connections, without any sense. It has a lot of bugs, the artworks (expecially in diplomacy) come directly from the last century. With an i5 4670k oc+ gtx770 2gb oc the graphics in battle still sucks, but you need to install it on ssd if you don't want to wait 2 minutes when you pass the turn. The worst total war ever. Rome 1 is better, believe me friends. It's not a game for the total war community, it's just a s**t.. Expand
  68. Sep 7, 2013
    So, the game is full of bugs and miss a lot of features that made Total War a great series of games in the past 10 years. I cannot understand how a game can be so downgraded from the old good games (like shogun 2), this game is so bad right now.
  69. Sep 3, 2013
    I have been waiting about 8 years for this game, stayed up all last night for the 8am launch.
    And well its utter utter at the moment unplayable lag, graphics look at all settings, my pc can play any game on the market at ultra settings! so its a top on the line gaming pc .
    i didn't pay £30 for a beta game
  70. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is not finished. They released it with no driver support. No crossfire, no SLI. Terrible! Official word is blaming AMD and Nividia. What a joke. Make a game that don't work and blame others.
  71. Sep 3, 2013
    Rushed and clearly unfinished, Rome 2 Total War is a disastrous mess.

The game suffers from countless bugs, terrible AI, awful and inconsistent visuals a poor interface, and some of the worst optimization I've ever seen in a PC game. If you must buy this game do yourself and wait 3-4 months when the bugs have been worked out.
  72. Sep 4, 2013
    It's a buggy mess that's literally unplayable for people like me in its current state (Hence the 0: unplayable). This was the first and last time I'm pre-ordering a TW game. I thought they had gotten over the terrible releases ever since Empire.
  73. Sep 4, 2013
    Beware the Nones of September. When a game receives and orgy of "best game" awards prior to release, it means some Roman-esque political machinations are going on between the developers and the gaming press.

After a ten hours of post release play I'm ready to ask for a refund. The graphics at extreme fall well short of the advertised images. The UI is lazy. Shogun's UI was much better and much more culturally immersive. For instance I expected a full screen character sheet for my generals and my agents, but it was like something out of early 90s. It felt like a holder to be replaced by future art assets.

The battles so far have been horrible. I'm not sure who they are making this game for, but I'm of the opinion that high strategy games should allow the player to issue commands and have units preform according to their training, not have to micromanage every aspect of a large armies movements. Don't my units have NCOs? My friend who started playing the Iceni said he lost a siege he was winning because an enemy unit took over some forest checkpoint. Does this make a lick of sense?

The prologue was mediocre even given the bad ground AI; the sea UI was just unspeakably idiotic.

I should have never bought this game at first release. I'm sure the game will get better, maybe, but as many are saying, this release is a bad omen for CA. We the players are going to have to start demanding more. I won't be buying another Total War game until after release and I've had a chance to read actual reviews and not hyped up gaming press reviews. They no longer have any credibility with me.
  74. Sep 4, 2013
    I've played it for 8 hours before uninstalling it but I really tried to like the game. It should be called Total Wait: Rome II... Seriously, ending turns takes somewhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Terrible AI, boring gameplay. It's got nothing to do with Shogun 2. I've actually played all games, since the original Shogun and it felt like Activision bought this franchise (BlizzardI've played it for 8 hours before uninstalling it but I really tried to like the game. It should be called Total Wait: Rome II... Seriously, ending turns takes somewhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Terrible AI, boring gameplay. It's got nothing to do with Shogun 2. I've actually played all games, since the original Shogun and it felt like Activision bought this franchise (Blizzard someone?). This game has disappointed me as much as Diablo 3 did. Total Waste of 60 bucks... Expand
  75. Sep 4, 2013
    Terrible performance even in high end rigs (4670k @4.4, z87saber 16gigs and 770 lighting).

No beta testing carried in this game whatsoever (CANT EVEN FINISH PROLOGUE, WTF?) Many good features that were great in Shogun 2 were removed like being able to guide your faction leader/general through a unique military career, now every general is disposable and you get an infinite pool of

Many good features that were great in Shogun 2 were removed like being able to guide your faction leader/general through a unique military career, now every general is disposable and you get an infinite pool of them.

SEGA forced CA to rush this unfinished "videogame" and invested more in ADVERTISING the game than actually MAKING IT.

A.I. IS TERRIBLE. WORST THAN ANY TW GAME SINCE ROME 1. Unbelievable.

Avoid this game AT ALL cost until SEGA apologizes for such a colossal up and fix all the they DIDN'T ****ING BETA TEST.

I'm very frustrated and angry at a videogame that was supposed to be THE VIDEOGAME. If you played it, you would understand.
  76. Oct 22, 2014
    Its been a little over a year since my last review and little has changed.
    The same stupid flaws of the game remain, all thats been done to improve things is add more DLCs to make more money.
    The game is the same as Empire, was an absolute nightmare.. that was their OPEN BETA... When Napoleon came out, it was much improved.. errors from Empire fixed etc. Now Attila is coming out, Rome
    Its been a little over a year since my last review and little has changed.
    When Napoleon came out, it was much improved.. errors from Empire fixed etc.
    Now Attila is coming out, Rome 2 support is basically at a finish.
    The next game will be the Full Release, as Rome 2 was the Beta
  77. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is in a BETA state. Might be worth purchasing in a half year after a lot of patches and modding for half the price. DONT buy it now, if you can- get a refund. It's time developers learned thier lesson.
  78. Sep 5, 2013
    This game seems like an empty shell of a Total War game. Beautiful (yet horrible demanding) graphics and animations but no strategy content. In the battles you can win with nearly nothing against anything because of the dead AI that can't attack without destroy itself or defend without doing only stupid things. At this stage it seems like luck that the battles are so ugly fast you have toThis game seems like an empty shell of a Total War game. Beautiful (yet horrible demanding) graphics and animations but no strategy content. In the battles you can win with nearly nothing against anything because of the dead AI that can't attack without destroy itself or defend without doing only stupid things. At this stage it seems like luck that the battles are so ugly fast you have to come up with a very clever strategy to have battles longer than 10 minutes. And such longer battles would be nice because the loading time you have to invest every single time is really long!
    On the campaign map you are left alone to conquer anything with again nearly nothing because of the dead AI that only leaves it's towns only with max 3 unit armies that can be beaten with every garrison army with ease. The towns may look nice but they are empty because there is nothing to manage despite burning a little bit of the tons of money the game provides even the most prodigal player. Playing on the campaign map is like walking through a dead post-apocalypse town, overthrowing cardboard cut-outs of enemies.

The release version of this game is not a strategy game. It is a good looking, brain dead Blondie. It is a empty nutshell and everybody, who has seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory knows, what is to do with empty nuts.
  79. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is simply a disaster. Words don't describe what an utter and complete disappointment and failure Rome 2 is. Throughout the process CA has obfuscated, dissembled, and outright lied in order to conceal this trainwreck.

Total war has been turned from a compelling, fun, historical sandbox into a crappy starcraft wanna-be console port. At least a dozen major features that have been in EVERY SINGLE TOTAL WAR for the past decade have been removed without even a peep of warning during the year+ long marketing phase.

Not only have they removed features for no other reason than to attempt a horrid console cashgrab, but the features that DO remain have been dumbed down, broken, or ruined.

Shogun2 was a highly polished, tight, competent game. This is a disheveled debacle.

The UI is absolutely dreadful. From the menu in a menu in a menu design to the god awful transparent black border to the horrid, 1998 3d portraits. Every single thing that they removed or attempted to "improve" on from shogun2 has been an unmitigated failure.

There are at least 15 major features that have simply disappeared. Just gone. If they had spend a quarter of the time they spent on their incompetent, ugly facial animations and "the face of war" hype and instead put it toward maintaining the features that its fans have grown accustomed to, perhaps this wouldn't be the worst total war in the history of the franchise. Perhaps those people about to be fired for this disaster in the coming months would still have jobs.

This game has certainly earned its spot among the Diablo 3s, Simcitys, CoH2s, and Dragon Age2s of franchise killing debacles.

Oh by the way, the game shipped with no anti-aliasing and no SLI/CF support. That's right. In 2013 an AAA released with no true AA and no multiple GPU support. That's the level of care and concern that went into the development of this farce.
  80. Sep 5, 2013
    I am heart broken, I have been playing for 13 hours and it just keeps getting worse and worse... horribly imbalanced. NO optimization of any kind, interface. Everything we knew and loved about Total War has been stripped away and dumbed down. The battles are dreadful, the AI would be better if it wasn't even there to begin with and the balance, OH THE BALANCE. There is none in essence.I am heart broken, I have been playing for 13 hours and it just keeps getting worse and worse... horribly imbalanced. NO optimization of any kind, interface. Everything we knew and loved about Total War has been stripped away and dumbed down. The battles are dreadful, the AI would be better if it wasn't even there to begin with and the balance, OH THE BALANCE. There is none in essence. Blobs, spam, broken units... thats how far CA went for Rome 2. Expand
  81. Sep 7, 2013
    I bought this game, with all promise, hope that it would be good I loved the original. I should of known as soon as i loaded the main CGI i started to drop frames that i would be disappointed. I played the game maybe for 30 minutes with frames dropping to 5-10 per second on the worst graphics settings. At that point i took the copy i bought from best buy and smashed it with a hammer. DoI bought this game, with all promise, hope that it would be good I loved the original. I should of known as soon as i loaded the main CGI i started to drop frames that i would be disappointed. I played the game maybe for 30 minutes with frames dropping to 5-10 per second on the worst graphics settings. At that point i took the copy i bought from best buy and smashed it with a hammer. Do not buy this game. Expand
  82. Sep 7, 2013
    I played this game for almost 25 hours so far. I could not play longer. This game has many issues. I am not talking about performance issues, surprisingly I did not have many. I am talking about flowed gameplay issues terrible AI, Victory Points which kill all tactics in the battle, lack of family tree, 3-5 minutes waiting for turns etc. i don't know if this can be fixed in futureI played this game for almost 25 hours so far. I could not play longer. This game has many issues. I am not talking about performance issues, surprisingly I did not have many. I am talking about flowed gameplay issues terrible AI, Victory Points which kill all tactics in the battle, lack of family tree, 3-5 minutes waiting for turns etc. i don't know if this can be fixed in future patches, I hope so, but for now this game will go to shelf for a few months. Expand
  83. Sep 9, 2013
    Rome Total War 2 could be a great game. Unfortunately the game becomes boring very fast. Why? Because your only opponent in the game is the AI, and the AI is about as smart as a baby. Playing a strategic game against a baby gets boring very fast.

-On the campaign map the AI will barely ever attack you, and if it does it is usually not in a way that makes strategical sense (constantly sending 1 unit against your full stack).

-In Field battles the AI is incredibly easy to beat. The only thing it cares about is the new Victory Points (bad feature). Therefore it uses the same strategy every battle of rushing straight at the Victory Point no matter how suicidal that is. You can win against armies 2-3 times your size without much effort.

-Siege Battles are the worst as the AI doesn't even function on them. On defence the AI will stand around in one spot while you shoot it with arrows, You can win without losing a unit if you have enough ammo. On offence the AI will get stuck outside the walls, get stuck in their boats, and it doesn't attempt to capture gates or anything to let its troops stuck outside in.

-Naval battles the AI actually can beat you. Only because your own ships rarely listen to your orders and often end up sitting around while the AI shoots them.

If your a veteran of this series or are even decent at strategy games you will find even the hardest difficulty laughably easy. This is the worst AI of the series and therefore it is the worst game play of the series.
  84. Oct 8, 2013
    bad bad bad worst total war game ever CA must see that AI is stupid as same graphic as shogun2 but very bad optimized where is the 40% budget gone bad bad bad bad bad whole game is unpolished and it looks like even more bad compared with alpah testing vid that they showed to us
  85. Sep 10, 2013
    Waited years for this.. DONT BUY THIS GAME DONT BUY THIS GAME buy the first one! buy shogan, not this! god!
    I played this as soon as it launched, and so SO SO SO SO many bugs!!!!
  86. Sep 11, 2013
    When I first started the game I noticed only some performance issues, but they were not gamebreaking. Overall I liked what I saw and was ready to give this game a decent personal score of about 7/10. I played prologue at that time and had no issues with AI for example, but when I finished it and jumped into campaign by the lapse of time I started to stumble upon more and more bugs and IWhen I first started the game I noticed only some performance issues, but they were not gamebreaking. Overall I liked what I saw and was ready to give this game a decent personal score of about 7/10. I played prologue at that time and had no issues with AI for example, but when I finished it and jumped into campaign by the lapse of time I started to stumble upon more and more bugs and I started to hate a lot of gameplay changes, which I discovered by the time. After first patch game even started to constantly crash. I've tried pvp campaign multiplayer to mitigate completely stupid AI, but it's almost unplayable, because of very long turn times and desync.

I've played for 50 hours already and I am really disappointed. I don't understand why it was so hard to make similar game as previous titles, leave all old features and add new ones.

In spite of all negativity there is also some great new features, for example big and detailed campaign map, detailed tactical maps, which precisely correlate with strategical map, LOS feature for units (i've been wishing such feature for every total war), combined naval and land battles, but all this is pointless if the game is crashing, lagging, gameplay dumbed down, ai broken, features removed...

I would give it 4/10 now, but simply to make this more noticeable I will rate it 0/10 to support community.

All this hype and marketing, promises and talks, but not actions that's only what is on the table right now from CA/SEGA.

I'm definitely not going to preorder next title (if such will be) and, if this trend will continue, definitely not going to buy at all.
  87. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is cool but it crashes all the time and as others have said the AI is bad so, not very good unfortunately, sad because it has a lot of potential.
  88. Sep 24, 2013
    Played 20 hours as a veteran of the series, this game is more broken then empire at release, had many features cut and basicly all the extra budget they claimed went to marketing of fancy videos adds that are not even in the game. Do not be deceived by this company ever again, they stopped caring and are now doing games by the numbers sega dictates 4 weeks after release the game is stillPlayed 20 hours as a veteran of the series, this game is more broken then empire at release, had many features cut and basicly all the extra budget they claimed went to marketing of fancy videos adds that are not even in the game. Do not be deceived by this company ever again, they stopped caring and are now doing games by the numbers sega dictates 4 weeks after release the game is still broken and unpolished. Expand
  89. Sep 26, 2013
    I play Total War series since the first shogun (released in 2000) I was waiting for Rome 2 as small children waiting for Christmas and what do I get? I get a nasty alpha version
    What do we have?
    - AI creates sensation of battle with the army of retards - Battle of armies numbering 8,000 people ends in 5 minutes 4 of which they run to each other -complete lack of balance units - In
    What do we have?
    - AI creates sensation of battle with the army of retards
    -complete lack of balance units
    - In the multiplayer Shogun was had a lot of good new ideas multiplayer Rome 10 steps back
    - Good animation fights
    - A good idea with the fleet in the battle ground but the sad realization
    CA and Sega burn in hell!
  90. Sep 27, 2013
    GOOD
    Top Surveillance Mapping system nicely made (Aerial View Mode)
    Ability to now create generals on the way rather than a son to achieve 16 Generals decide battle decisions more decisively as a general can win you a impossible battle and also can lose you a favorable battle once dead I Liked it !!!! BAD Only 4 Historical Battles and those really does need much brains to resolve
    GOOD
    Top Surveillance Mapping system nicely made (Aerial View Mode)
    Ability to now create generals on the way rather than a son to achieve 16

BAD
    Only 4 Historical Battles and those really does need much brains to resolve
    Seasons system which was there in ROME- I has not been included
    Too many number of fractions means too much time more in the Later years one reload takes about 5 7 mins practically
    Long ranged units causes minimal damage to opponents even if taking direct hits
    Unit card displays really looks we are living in the "Black and White" Era
    Unit cards are too confusing if have multiple same unit
    No defense terrain bonus to units due to units lacking a guard or defensive stance mode Units either kills or gets killed This is not the way War used to happen.... Front takes the damage flanks used to remain strong with a reserve fresh unit to deploy.
    Rome Without a FAMILY TREE

SO
    Worst game ever played LOST all my pocked money for this
  91. Sep 27, 2013
    There is 10 max. points, but my score is 3 of 10, so there is 3 pluses and 7 minuses in this game.

Let's start it bellow. Total War is my favorite game series, so I awaited many form the newest and the most expensive game of franchise. Creative Assambly have promised us a revolution, but there's non of it, and here's why: Pluses: + Great graphic. + Sea-land battles and landing

Pluses:

+ Great graphic.
    + Sea-land battles and landing operations.
    + Citys and campain map.

Minuses:

- NO huge gameplay improvments.
    - NO retreat(not running out) button and behavior stance(agressive, defensive and so on).
    - NO exiting, or even a bit verisimilar naval combat (oars don't break, no wind, etc.)
    - NO multiplayer features.(co-op campain for one faction, avatar map etc.)
    - NO optimisation.
    - NO product realise quality.
    - NO proper AI( stupid at battle, moderate at campain map, week Carthage.)

Сonclusion: Rome II should and would be a greate game, when CA'll filed off it's product and moders will improve it.

But, for now it's just an other new game of Total War serias, like new DLC for Shogun 2, with new setting.

3 of 10.
  92. Sep 28, 2013
    Sega And CA released this game too early. It shows it is a mess and the A.I. is dreadful. Whats worse though is all the blatant lies CA shoved down our throats, this will be the last CA game i will ever buy.
  93. Oct 3, 2013
    Creative Assembly i am disappoint.

Creative Assembly i am disappoint.

As a long-term customer of TW games i wasn't expecting them to deliver a *perfect* game, but the state of Rome2 surprised even me. The game is in fact worse than beta-status A.I. is as incompetent as hell, the UI is really bad, the Textures are plain ugly and bugs, bugs literally everywhere. And what makes me angry the most is that CA is again relying on the community to fix their broken game.

Personally i think some kind of lawsuit would help to improve the inbearable way of CA doing buisness. Hyping up the community with flashy videos and promises about some kind of "revolutionary new A.I." when the finished game doesn't look anything like that and has a utterly crappy A.I. is basically screaming "FRAUD" and "FALSE ADVERTISING".
  94. Oct 8, 2013
    I could give the game a 4 or 5 out of 10 but because of the false advertising in Rally Point it gets a 0 from me.
    These are Rome 2 main problems, even after 1 month and nearly 4 patches i only see really small improvements, So;
    -horrible battle AI, almost not existing -laughable campaign AI -visual downgrade to Shogun 2 (even on Extreme) -no family tree -greek states dlc -rubbish

-horrible battle AI, almost not existing
    -laughable campaign AI
    -visual downgrade to Shogun 2 (even on Extreme)
    -no family tree
    -greek states dlc
    -rubbish politics system
    -unit rosters of nations like epirus are a bad joke
    -horrible UI, unit cards are ugly and too big. they dont even have unit numbers
    -generals arent important at all because they die really fast
    -1 turn per year.... WTF ?!
    the list goes on and on. NEVER preorder a CA game again. (Julian McKinlay, Will Overgard, Craig i hope you guys get fired, you useless
  95. Oct 28, 2013
    Rome II has a few nice features the original Rome Total War lacked, like cavalry being able to dismount for assaults on cities and a battlefield AI which, after patching, is reasonably competent and doesn't throw it's generals in immediately to their deaths to try to run down a unit of skirmishers. Unfortunately it not only drops many of the most interesting, enjoyable and atmosphereRome II has a few nice features the original Rome Total War lacked, like cavalry being able to dismount for assaults on cities and a battlefield AI which, after patching, is reasonably competent and doesn't throw it's generals in immediately to their deaths to try to run down a unit of skirmishers. Unfortunately it not only drops many of the most interesting, enjoyable and atmosphere enhancing features that were in the original Rome, but also implements many features in ways that destroy game-play, believability and historical accuracy. It also seems unfinished

The province system in which cities are grouped into provinces in which buildings in one city affect every city in the province held by the same faction is interesting, but the way buildings work is pretty annoying.

You can research technology, but the starting tech isn't even bronze age you need a tech advance for battering rams and ladders.

The level of detail you can see in your settlements population, happiness/unhappiness, squalor etc is massively reduced as is info on where income and trade income comes from.

The political system and 1 year turns result in generals being recalled or dying as soon as they get any significant experience or skills. Agents don't last much longer.

The stylised icon interface is annoying and not intuitive.

The AI and bugs in assaults on walled cities is pretty terrible even after patching.

There are over 100 factions, but many are out of period or just made up, including client states like Carthage's two and they slow the AI turn down more and more as the game progresses.

Worst of all are the instant super transports. Any army can create transports to carry it by stepping off a beach, for free. They're capable of fighting in sea battles and beating any starting fleet whether in auto-calc or not by weight of numbers.

Every faction from Scythian nomad horse archers to Spanish and African tribes goes for a sail in the Mediterranean, with nothing much to fear from enemy navies. Factions which lose all their cities also take to the sea. They then either float there till they slowly die, or hover off the coast forcing you to place armies in all your coastal cities for dozens of turns until they slowly die of attrition, or else they take cities by avoiding your land armies and acting as vikings. What? Build fleets to hunt them down you say? But you can't afford to ships for fleets take time and money to build and require pay. Instant transports don't and your own field armies are tied down on land preventing them from coming back by sea.

Bizarrely the game designers have decided that transports should be just a slightly inferior version of a large oared warship with the same hundreds of oarsmen and ram and sleek design as a warship. In reality in the Roman and Hellenistic period transports were usually commandeered merchant sailing ships, because they could carry enough troops, horses and food and water for them. Oared warships were good for ramming, boarding and raking the oars off of enemy ships but all those oarsmen and the narrow hulls to make them maneuverable left them with no room to carry more than a few marines. They usually followed coastlines so they could land to get food and water for the oarsmen each day and so they could land if there was bad weather as oared galleys were not very seaworthy. Yet insta-super-transports somehow fit hundreds of soldiers, horses and elephants.

Unlike in the original Rome you can fight out sea battles rather than just autocalc them. The ships and marines in sea battles look great, but the way sea battles work is pretty lamentable. Boarding is made very easy. No need to use grapples (iron hooks on ropes) to get close to an enemy ship to board it, let alone use a corvus (rotatable boarding ramp with a spike on the end to go through the enemy deck) bumping into them is good enough. Even more ridiculously, once one ship is boarding another no other ship or marines can touch either of them.

Historically smaller galleys could outmanouvre and defeat larger ships as at the battle of Actium. In Rome II small ships are incapable of doing much damage to larger ones, even where the large ship is a transport or some lightly built viking style ship. Historically a small oared galley with a metal plated ram could turn faster than larger ships and immobilise them by oar raking (shearing off enemy ship's oars using ram). Or they could sink them by ramming broadside and holing it below the waterline.

The myriad bugs a requiring endless patching and missing features suggest it was rushed out incomplete and without even beta testing.

Rome II runs poorly and with poor graphics on many PCs and laptops unless the Graphical Enhancement Mod is used. Mistakes made in the ongoing patching process make the game currently not run with mods. Anyone thinking of buying should hold off for at least 6 months and maybe a year or two till patching is over and better mods finished
  96. Oct 30, 2013
    Preordering this game was one of my biggest mistakes in my life. Right now I feel naive and cheated.
    The Ai is terrible, plain stupid and broken, every previous game had a better one even the Rome1. It feels as it's scripted to charge from the front and push cav from the flanks and that's all. Every single battle... But camparing to siege Ai it is great as siege Ai is completely broken, I don't even understand how it is possible to fail so badly, they aren't even able to use the machines they have...
    The unit cards are ugly and confusing. The campaign Ai is stoopid and useless.

Multiplayer in Shogun 2 was a major step forward, that is why I have no idea what were they thinking leaving this well built formula and creating this Quick battles which were fun in Shogun are terrible here, you can;t choose whether to play siege or a normal battle.

I feel cheated or even robed. Sega should refund money to all the people and after a year release a normal product, but I doubt it will happen :/
    This isn't a game, this is a Beta Version and I don't remember buying early acces... I wanted a complete product.
    I am really ashamed as I respected CA and Sega and right now I am sure that I won't buy their games in preorder and I will think twice on buying them.

With regards, cheated customer.
  97. Nov 2, 2013
    Five patches later still a mess, Have played total war since the original Shogun, but no more after this mess. IF you accidentally hit the auto resolve battle even if the sides are 50-50, and you loss you army gets wiped out no survivors. The game is still full of bugs, I spent 3 hours attacking a city when the max time was meant to be 20 minutes, the game was stuck in mega slow motionFive patches later still a mess, Have played total war since the original Shogun, but no more after this mess. IF you accidentally hit the auto resolve battle even if the sides are 50-50, and you loss you army gets wiped out no survivors. The game is still full of bugs, I spent 3 hours attacking a city when the max time was meant to be 20 minutes, the game was stuck in mega slow motion even though it was in fast forward. The number of crashes is still real bad, this was the worse game I have every purchased by far. Expand
  98. Nov 5, 2013
    Not a bad game, but there was so much more they could have done, not to mention the marketing campaign that blatantly lied to all the fans of the series. It's dumbed down, so if you're a fan of simple games that make you feel smart, then buy it. If not, then I would advise you to avoid Rome 2.
  99. Nov 9, 2013
    Rome 1 is one of my highest rated game, and there I was anticipating for how godly Rome 2 would be after the trailer with the graphics, but I spend 60 USD for this bloody piece of junk that is even worser than it predeccessor for almost everything.

(-) First of all, the AI is outrageously dumb for the campaign as each faction does not try to expand and tries to make alliance which is useless as when I attack one of them, the rest does not help. Also there are times when I attacked a faction with last city with only the garrison troops, making the most important aspect of the game crappy. Initially when they released the tutoberg forest trailer, I was expecting the campaign to have short cutscenes and evens such as the forest ambush.

(-) Next, the building and economic. Rome 1 building and layout was simply beautiful (Amphitheather, Cohort Barracks) with each aspect to building being really realistic when gave me a sense of building a great empire, Rome 2? Step 1, Building the god damn farm followed by town temple economy building which seems like I am playing a small kids game. The province system sucks especially which completely robs away the empire building fun.

(+) The only thing that was good in rome 2, The graphics for the campaign map, the campaign map for Rome 2 really uses high-end graphics, however the trade off would be how realisticness of the distance of city as each city is only 1 turn far away from each other and upon expanding it is even easier to invade a nearby city. Just a little bit of tweaking would make it perfect.

(-) I'm not a battle crazy fan so I wont go into details, firstly when zoom out the units looked more like bunch of black ants running across my screen than armies, I rather they used Rome 1 unit collision. Next is the siege where the same bug requires all units to climb the ladder before they are able to move properly.
    one improvement to be made for the siege could be to have AI controlling a part of the army to assault another wall to take advantage of multiple capture points, also multiple ladders should be able to assault the same walls and all tower should have peasant to should (killable) as the tower is like a complete rape.

Seriously this game seems like created by a bunch of who cant make game as I am able to list out all these problems in the game. Its like being promised to see heaven yet was given hell.

CA really needs the help of modders to save this game by giving them the power to mod the game. As for the AI this is my opinion that a randomising engine can be added to the game code in complement to the possible actions AI may take (lets say skirmishing has 40% success rate while going all out has 60%, the engine may choose skirmishing and further randomising causes the butterfly effect where AI uses a good tactic.

I am really interested in help this game become better but I do not have any programming skills, my strengths would be coming out with ideas to help improve the game, if I can be of any help do PM me
  100. Nov 9, 2013
    Major dissapointment. Magic abilities, way too easy etc etc. No guard mode. You cant plan skills for your generals. UI is terrible. I could go on and. Campaign map is nice though.

1. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is far less polished than Shogun 2, and a few more patches will help, but Rome II is still a flawed game that is underwhelming when compared to previous titles in the franchise.
  2. Nov 6, 2013
    And here’s the rub: every addition, every sub-system, every mechanic is subservient to War. War is what Total War is really about. Everything else not directly related to conflict comes across as ancillary. Rome II is a game for warmongers, on both the campaign map and, obviously, on the battlefield. When peace is happening, nothing is happening. When war is happening, Rome comes alive.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    If you will play literally anything featuring Total War and Rome in the same title and don't value your time, this is for you. [Nov 2013, p.80]