• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Mar 15, 2011
8.3

1. Mar 15, 2011
    Been playing since release, what can i say...i havnt slept...its pretty awesome, best total was since medieval 2! Looks amazing even tho theres no dx11 untill they patch it, then it'll be a 11/10!
  2. Mar 15, 2011
    Totally immense. Been waiting for this ages for ages, at last it is here and I just can't put it down! The graphics are sensational, out of this world! The siege battles were just amazing, probably the best bit of the whole game! I literally cannot put it down, I don't think I will be leaving the house for the next few weeks!
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    Wow, I mean, they almost lost me with Empire, Pulled me slowly back N:tw, and now this...Ca, you have restored my faith. Well played, The Multiplayer especially really sets me going, so much new stuff to do!
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    Love this game!!! Been waiting for this to be remade it seems like my whole life! The seige battles are well thought out and executed. Wahoo for Shogun 2!
  5. Mar 15, 2011
    It's out and the question is did The Creative Assembly pull it out the bag or flop. There's been a lot of negativity around Total War recently and everyoneâ
  6. Mar 15, 2011
    A leaner, meaner return to the game that started it all. Shogun 2: Total War pulls out all the stops and stands out as the most refined Total Wars to date. An excellent achievement and a fine addition to the franchise which I will gladly dedicate hundreds of hours of my valuable life to. The Creative Assembly have done it again, well done guys.
  7. Mar 15, 2011
    Best Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. ThisBest Total War title since MW2, arguably since Rome. Everything that was keeping the previous entries from being amazing was fixed. The AI has gone from ridiculously stupid to surprisingly clever. They'll lure you into traps and they know when to push and when to retreat. Naval battles are much more straightforward than in Empire/Napoleon, and so are significantly more action-packed. This is helped by land masses and coasts, which provide a much more dynamic battlefield. The campaign is much more focused and has a pseudo-RPG feel, immersing you even more than before. The scale is smaller than Empire, but that much more detail has been packed into a smaller region. It's also worth mentioning that siege battles are much less straightforward and therefore much more fun than in traditional European-esque fights. Multiplayer was a great surprise. You can easily create a clan with your friends and find fights, moving over different regions and gaining new skills. As you progress, you can customize your general and his attributes with a rather large skill tree, you can add various perks to certain units (as well as damaging perks against your enemies), and ultimately you really do feel like you're leading a conquest against real people. The game isn't perfect, and most of its failings fall to the technical department. There are a few connection issues, but those are to be expected this early on. More disappointing are the visual settings. In its best, Shogun is easily the most beautiful TW, with amazing detail on each unit, great backdrops, and more detail all around, especially in the trees of the environment. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Shogun at its best for a while. Anti-Aliasing, higher Shader models, and DX11 features are completely absent from the release product; CA tells us that these will be added in a patch scheduled to arrive in 2-4 weeks. That's not really acceptable, and it feels like they were trying to meet a deadline. That aside, there are many optimization issues, especially with Phenom processors and AMD cards. Hopefully these will be addressed as well, if not by CA then by AMD and Nvidia.

Overall, this is a must-own for strategy fans, or fans of historical warfare in general. Easily the best Total War game in a long while.
  8. Mar 15, 2011
    Gosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I foundGosh, I say this game is rather fantastic! I'd been anticipating its arrival for months now and practically ripped it from my butler's hands this morning, feverishly unwrapped it and inserted the disc into one of my personal computers, and was it worth the wait? The answer is a resounding "RATHER!" . Being an avid historian, and a gentleman rather acquainted with Asian history, I found the game to be absolutely delightful and a feast to all the senses! One should rush out immediately and purchase this game with no delay. Hurrah for all the chaps at The Creative Assembly. Well done, boys! Expand
  9. Mar 15, 2011
    This game was awsum!! I loved it so much really good graphics!!! Been playing since release!! Its so amazing!!!! brilliant multiplayer seriously awsum! Have had a blast playing it, only have pulled myself away to write this review!!!!
  10. May 20, 2011
    Love this game. I have over 100 hours played now (in single player). Call me crazy if you will, but there's something about games like this that are addicting to me.

Now I just wish they'd start up the Warhammer Dark Omen series again (completely different setting, but the feel of the combat is somewhat similar). Total War Fantasy game, that would rock.
  11. Tig
    Mar 30, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also youShogun 2 is the best RTS/TB game ever made. It's polished, beautiful, fun and has very good value for a buck ratio. I could have easily given it 10/10 but game has one big flaw. My PC has 3gb of RAM and there's one more gb on my video card. Still it takes no less than 50s to load main menu, then another 20-30s to load campaign map, 30s-1min to enter battle and 30s to leave it. Also you have to wait good 15-20s every turn till AI opponents finish their moves. All of this adds up and game becomes a huge waste of time that is unless you bring a book and read it while game is loading something. I know, Empire was slow on this too, but not as much. I know that this problem could be solved by adding extra 4gbs of RAM but I can't afford system like that atm. Other than long loading times, game runs smooth, way better than Empire. Steady fps on the campaign and battle maps and all of this with improved graphics. So yeah its not 10/10 from me but it deserves strong 9/10. Expand
  12. Apr 2, 2011
    Finally some melee combat. I've had enough of gunpowder and muskets. In my opinion ancient warfare is what makes Total War so great. Cavalry, infantry, siege weapons, swords, shields etc.. This game is as good as Rome or M2TW but like all Total War titles it has lots of game breaker bugs in it and no antialising, no DX11 whatsoever. I hope CA releases good patches and addresses all the bugs.
  13. Apr 2, 2011
    In my opinion, this is the best Total War game yet; this is coming from someone that has played every single TW game. The worst problem of the previous games, the AI, has been improved substantially. On the battle map, you will sometimes find yourself surprised by the tactics used by the opposition. When defending, the AI will go for the most favourable ground (most of the time) and waitIn my opinion, this is the best Total War game yet; this is coming from someone that has played every single TW game. The worst problem of the previous games, the AI, has been improved substantially. On the battle map, you will sometimes find yourself surprised by the tactics used by the opposition. When defending, the AI will go for the most favourable ground (most of the time) and wait for your forces to attack. If you inflict too many casualties on them using arrows, the AI will choose to charge your position instead of being slowly slaughtered. However, the AI is still not perfect, especially in sieges. There was one battle where the AI meandered around my walls and was slaughtered by arrows instead of actually trying to assault my fortress. However, this kind of occurrence does not happen often. On the larger scale campaign map, the AI has also been improved. In previous Total War games, the enemy factions would often send armies of a few units at you instead of consolidating their forces. This increased the number of battles, but the AI was always outnumbered and easily defeated. This problem has been eliminated. This time around, the AI will gather more forces before attacking. This means fewer, but more decisive battles that are more exciting due to the high number of units involved. The AI is also more likely to land invasion forces on islands. I did encounter some problems though. Through most of my second campaign, most of the factions would not trade with me even though my clan was in good standing with them. New players to the series may have a hard time, as this game is much more difficult than previous instalments. This is especially true once you reach the middle of a campaign. Once your clan has conquered a large amount of provinces and reaches "Legendary" status, Realm Divide is triggered. This game mechanic basically unites every indifferent, unfriendly, or hostile clan against you within a few turns. This would be ok if your allies stuck by your side, but they will eventually turn against you too if victory is not obtained quickly. I recommend that a new player should start off on easy, while a veteran should begin on medium difficulty.

As for the graphics, they are absolutely gorgeous. The landscapes have more variety, more detailed textures, and are more believable. There was one battle where I encountered a few deer that quickly scattered once my army approached them. The animations have also been improved substantially. I find myself watching replays of battles simply so I can watch duels between individual Samurai. One thing that I should mention is that the game currently does not support anti aliasing or DirectX 11. The lack of DirectX 11 isn't too big of a deal to me, but I think that launching the game without a basic feature such as AA is ridiculous. In a game that takes place on such a grand scale where you see armies of thousands confronting each other, it takes away from the experience when your soldiers are made up of jagged pixels when viewing them from far away. Creative Assembly has promised that a patch should be released within the next two weeks or so that addresses this issue, so hopefully this will not be an issue for much longer.
  14. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    I LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armiesI LOVE this game to death! It really is the refinement of the total war series. Everything makes a lot more sense than Empire and the map is way more manageable. The battles require a lot more strategy than ever before because of the units ant the terrain. The units are completely the same across all factions, except for units in which the faction has an advantage with, meaning all armies have access to the same units you do but, for example, the Shimazu have better Katana Samurai and the Chosokabe have better Bow Samurai. And don't worry there are enough units to keep the game from getting stale. Everything from economics to the arts your faction can develop down the path of bushido or chi or both make a lot of sense. It is far less overwhelming and way more manageable so much so I would say any newcomer to the series could easily pick up, although mastering it will take longer. One of the new features I think is great is that you have to be much more specific in which buildings you make in you cities and even better is how each region has something different to add when you take it over. Some have horses, some ninja, others lumber or quarries, each of which are necessary for making new things like bigger fortresses, cheaper boats or stronger cavalry. The game just feels like everything they've done up to this has been perfected. Except multiplayer apparently. I don't really play multiplayer so it doesn't affect me but if that's what you're interested in then you may want to make your own research into that. Anyway for me this game is a 10/10. Gorgeous. Expand
  15. May 9, 2011
    As her journey for the ultimate revenge continues, Beatrix Kiddo is left with three people on her quest to kill; her ex-lover/boss Bill and his two remaining associates; his brother Budd and Billâ
  16. May 17, 2011
    Shogun 2 is the best Total War game i have ever played. The Atmosphere in this game is absolutely amazing. With Improved AI, i can play it for hours nonstop. I urge you to try it out if you were let down by the Empire Total War, you wont be disappointed.
  17. Apr 8, 2011
    I have been playing Total War games since the original Shogun back in 2000. Despite some hitches along the way I am a totally hooked fan of the TW genre. I am about half way through my first campaign in Shogun 2 and I can only say - EXCELLENT. The game demonstrates lessons learned from the previous two TW's and captures the heart and essence (I feel) of warfare in 16th Century Japan. ItI have been playing Total War games since the original Shogun back in 2000. Despite some hitches along the way I am a totally hooked fan of the TW genre. I am about half way through my first campaign in Shogun 2 and I can only say - EXCELLENT. The game demonstrates lessons learned from the previous two TW's and captures the heart and essence (I feel) of warfare in 16th Century Japan. It was so much more than just war all the time and the game gives me, at least, a real 'feel' of the period. My only criticism - the strategic screen is quite 'sticky' ... Which is a shame, but it may be my PC. However, both Empire and Napoleon play fine. Top marks for this game - I am thoroughly hooked. Expand
  18. Jun 1, 2011
    I have been a Total War fan since the beginning. This is easily the best Total War game in many ways, but serious bugs in the co-op multiplayer and a few AI problems keep this game from a perfect 10. Production values are of the highest caliber. The only real criticism I have (other than bugs, which I assume will be patched) is that the setting doesn't allow much variety; once you haveI have been a Total War fan since the beginning. This is easily the best Total War game in many ways, but serious bugs in the co-op multiplayer and a few AI problems keep this game from a perfect 10. Production values are of the highest caliber. The only real criticism I have (other than bugs, which I assume will be patched) is that the setting doesn't allow much variety; once you have played a few campaigns, you've seen everything. Still, even if you only play a few campaigns and ignore multiplayer entirely the game is worth the time and money invested. Expand
  19. Apr 9, 2011
    the best total war so far. i have owned every total war game since shogun 1, and this just blows them out of the water.(well almost sinks Rome) graphics: insane. gameplay: refined. style: perfect. ninjas: ninjas. buy this game.
    (really this game would be worth it just for the ninjas)
  20. May 25, 2011
    This work of love is the culmination of everything Total War stands for. Simply amazing. P.S.: CA we all want Rome 2! Just make sure it has the same finesse and work you poured into Shogun 2 ;)
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    The best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming toThe best Total War game since Rome for me. The modes are largely the same with Multiplayer receiving substantial excellent changes, another change is the new inclusion of Legendary mode on the Campaign which is also a fantastic new feature for Total War veterans. Took me 7 attempts but I managed to complete it on legendary, which gives a great sense of achievement. The updates coming to the game are also great with a DX 11 patch on the way and more bug fixes for mostly multiplayer as we go along. Thanks Creative Assembly! Expand
  22. May 5, 2011
    The recent Total War games (Empire, Napoleon), have left me longing for the good old days. Shogun 2 has answered that prayer. I am one of those people who played Medieval 2 with mods to pass the time, because the newer games were too large, and unwieldy. I love the addition of naval combat, but felt like too many things had gone wrong.

Shogun 2 gets almost everything right. There is a

Shogun 2 gets almost everything right. There is a learning curve, but there is a lot of pleasure in figuring out how things work. I was thrilled at the diversity in paths to victory, especially if you explore diplomatic or special unit abilities. The game is a lot of fun, and replayability appears to be almost limitless. After a dozen campaigns, I am still finding amazing results when I mix different units together on the battlefield.

The most unexpected fun has come from the multi-player mode. It is fun to let another player drop in and fight as your enemy in the campaign battles, and it is nice that you have the option of just saying no to this feature. But what really surprised me was how much fun I've had fighting on the alternate map of Japan in multiplayer. I highly recommend giving this a try!

So ... what's the down side? I do not like how the single player game handles diplomacy in the end game. Many mods are coming out to tweak this, but I do agree that the end game events are a nice twist. I just think it went a bit too far. Another down side is the speed of movement in the game. Everything goes a little bit too fast. I am getting used to it, but if you dislike that - there are also mods to slow things down a bit, already.

Modding appears to be very easy, and I look forward to a healthy community of mods for this game, much like Medieval 2.
  23. Aug 12, 2011
    Shogun 2 is a fantastic addition the Total War series. The game improves upon the original Shogun in nearly every way. Visually, it is the best looking Total War game to date and frankly one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. New to Shogun 2 is character progression. Your daimyo, generals, and even agents like metsuke and ninja gain rank as they successfully performShogun 2 is a fantastic addition the Total War series. The game improves upon the original Shogun in nearly every way. Visually, it is the best looking Total War game to date and frankly one of the most impressive looking games I've ever seen. New to Shogun 2 is character progression. Your daimyo, generals, and even agents like metsuke and ninja gain rank as they successfully perform tasks and win battles. Ranking up gives you points to improve abilities, like map movement speed, defense, moral, bonus to assassination attempts, etc. It's nothing revolutionary and doesn't change they way Total War games are played, but provides another level of customization in how you're sculpting your army and the tactics you choose to employ. My only complaint is that the factions don't feel very differentiated. All factions have access to the same units for the most part and the only tangible differences lie in stats for certain units. For example, the Chosokabe have better samurai archers, the Hojo have better siege units and their castles are less expensive, etc. All this boils down to is that certain faction traits or unit stats favor one strategy over another. It has little bearing on how you build your nation but more impact on how your armies fight. Multiplayer options for Shogun 2 are excellent and well executed. The main attraction here is the avatar mode in which you customize every feature of your general and are brought to a simplified campaign map. Rather than vie for territory against other players you select which territory you want to "occupy" and then fight an online battle against a human opponent. If you win, you gain the territory and whatever unit or army bonus it corresponds to. There's a more tangible sense of progression than in the singleplayer campaign as you fight to grow your avatar's army into what you truly want it to be. Another minor complaint is the campaign map interface. It's the same mess that's plagued other Total War games and takes some getting used to. Army movement in battle maps is sometimes questionable as well. Attempting to move an army without first putting it or chunks of it into groups will end in disaster without fail as the game sends groups of units seemingly wherever it wants forcing you to either move en masse as a group or micro manage unit movement to a T. Opponent AI will sometimes make strange decisions when defending forts but is generally very competent and a challenge for most players. All in all, Shogun 2 is excellent game with loads of new features and superb multiplayer content. Expand
  24. Jul 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely amazing. Seeing how this game either has 10-9 or 1-5 reviews shows how some people are in denial. And everyone complaining about the lack of different units, different cultures and different combat types is missing logic in their brains, and is probably rating every good review down.

Like many people, I was waiting for this game with a lot of expectation. The best thing as always, is the graphics. The best I have seen in a game so far. The combat couldn't be better. The AI is also heavily improved and almost unbeatable in the campaign map. Anyone complaining of it being too easy probably doesn't realize there's other levels besides "easy". The unit variety isn't as huge as it used to be, but besides being realistical, it also adds to the strategic value. The new level system is also very good along with creating your own general. Basically every battle has the potential to become completely epic. It does has it's flaws. Personally the main one is the lack of turns. 50 turns isn't enough to develop everything at your own pace and once you expand enough, ever other clan declares war on you. Putting you in a 10 vs 1 usually. The avatar system is also only available in multiplayer. Making the feature useless for those who dislike competition. However, the game is very enjoyable overall. And a must have for any PC player that enjoys REAL strategy.
  25. Jul 27, 2011
    Outstanding game, have been a fan of the total war series for years, and to date shogun 2 is by far the most polished. Graphics are outstanding, very detailed lively units, great sound effects, makes it seem like a real battle. Game play is more advanced than in TW games from the past, the AI is much more intelligent and seemingly adapts to your every move. This has been the most difficultOutstanding game, have been a fan of the total war series for years, and to date shogun 2 is by far the most polished. Graphics are outstanding, very detailed lively units, great sound effects, makes it seem like a real battle. Game play is more advanced than in TW games from the past, the AI is much more intelligent and seemingly adapts to your every move. This has been the most difficult TW game I have played by far, but the most rewarding, strategy plays a huge part in this game whereas other TW games was about sheer force. Everything requires you to think, from types of troops in your armies, type of amour, the physical outline of the battlefield, position and strength of the enemy, areas surrounding your cities, diplomacy, food etc, everything has to be managed accordingly making this the most difficult but most rewarding game in the TW series.

Pros
    Graphics, sound, game play, advanced AI Cons
    Requires powerful system to play on high scale, difficult computer opponent, multilayer is lacking in appeal
  26. Jul 29, 2011
    I give the multi-player a strong 10, and I have started playing the single player but the customization and loyalty to your units in the multi-player seems so much stronger to me that I cannot get through more than 10 turns in single player. Here is my breakdown:

Graphics: 10/10
    Sound: 9/10
    Battle Interface: 10/10
    Battle Gameplay: 10/10
    Fun Factor: 10/10
  27. Feb 11, 2012
    My first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The newMy first total war game was Empire Total War a while back. Ever since I got it I became hooked on the series. Iv'e seen a lot of **** reviews for this same so far, and I have to strongly disagree with what they are saying. This is by far the best total war game that has come out yet. The graphics are amazing and pretty much look real with light bloom from a distance. The new multi-player concept of making your own clan is genius and it is a game you will always go back to. I would recommend this to any strategy gamer because of its challenging concepts and high replay value. I do not recommend it for someone just starting to play total war or general strategy due to its challenging gameplay. Expand
  28. Jan 4, 2013
    Truly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chatTruly one of the most addicting games I've ever played, yesterday I spent 13 hours straight in a Co-Op match with a random guy, and he bought the game 2 days ago, and we had a blast! I have been playing Shogun 2 for over a year and they still keep updating the game from time to time, multiplayer connection issues are ironed away. The only drawback for this game might be the public chat rooms are quiet most of the time : / There are still many people playing it, I logged at 3 AM and decided to play a custom match 4v4, and found one right away. Expand
  29. Dec 26, 2011
    This is simply the best total war game ever. I've played most of the games from the series and Shogun 2 is a dream come true, that goes back to the original root, but with all the refinements of the last decade. If you are into deep strategy and historic accuracy you can't miss it.
  30. Sep 17, 2011
    I have never played Total War series, but it wasn
  31. May 25, 2011
    One hell of a game, i've played it for a while and ive realized this is a great game. im addicted you have to buy this if your an rts fan, the only reason i give it a nine because it just has small things that add up
  32. Nov 8, 2011
    Hoorah! , Indeed the gameplay in general has not changed much in the last ten years. But the graphics and this game racked me up for 200 hours. Value for money. Game Graphics are very good and its something a developer can be proud of. Buy it .
  33. Sep 10, 2011
    Great game from Sega. It's fun to play and the AI isn't as poor as previous Total War games. For example, the AI will attack you when you start using your archers (previous games let you soften them up before you main assault...like shooting fish in a barrel). Attacking fortresses is redundant though since many of the strongholds are the same with the same layout of attack. One issue IGreat game from Sega. It's fun to play and the AI isn't as poor as previous Total War games. For example, the AI will attack you when you start using your archers (previous games let you soften them up before you main assault...like shooting fish in a barrel). Attacking fortresses is redundant though since many of the strongholds are the same with the same layout of attack. One issue I have is once you get to a certain point in the main campaign every other clan attacks you making it a one vs all scenario (what ever happened to allies?). Overall, I had a fun time. I hope they make a Total War: China or something since they keep remaking old Total War games (Medieval and Shogun) and some originality is needed by Sega. Expand
  34. TIZ
    May 18, 2012
    Amazing game overall. Graphics best to date DX10 or 11, Gameplay slow but that's the fun of it, Story elements are like most strategy games good and satisfying when completing. Lots of new and extra features, amazing 3D rotatable map, actual night time fighting and amazing fight animations. This game deserves nothing less than a 10/10
  35. Jul 4, 2013
    A must have for all gamers fascinated by feudal Japan. Great graphics, awesome soundtrack, solid gameplay and heaps of replay value. Highly recommended!
  36. Aug 25, 2011
    I have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll getI have played every Total War game that has been released so far since the original Shogun TW and I can tell you that in my opinion this is by far the best. The graphics are beautiful, the individual units are lovingly detailed and the campaign is really enjoyable. I have so far got 162 hours of playtime out of this game according to my steam profile which is by far more than you'll get from playing most other games. In terms of things the game has done really well I would cite the AI as being very good, especially on the harder difficulties. The historical research that has gone into the game is also impressive and so is the gameplay as a whole. For me, this game would easily get a 10/10 but there are a few things which let it down. The multiplayer and co-op campaigns are hopelessly broken and months later Creative Assembly has still not fixed this problem which is shocking in itself. Similarly the AI has a tendency to spam archer units (which seems to b a problem with every total war game so far actually), which results in some very annoying battles especially as archers seem to be rather over-powered in the game. However, despite that issue the AI, as I previously mentioned, is on the whole very good. If CA were to fix these problems then for me this would be a perfect game. However, part of the reason I'm writing this review is due to glancing at the "Negative" reviews below. While some raise valid points others are just plainly ridiculous. For example one person has given it a 2 after playing it for over 350 hours and cites his reason for this as "lack of replay value". This begs the question, "what was he doing for those 350 hours?"! Staring at the title screen? I have played the game for less than half that amount of time and have finished and replayed it over 8 times which is hardly a negligible amount and more than almost any other game. Other criticisms include the lack of unit types, this I find strange. While in most total war games the concept is nation against nation, with all the differences in military development, equipment and strategy that would entail. However, Shogun 2 is a country in the grip of civil war. There would not be dramatically different units for each clan as their military development would generally be along the same lines as their neighbouring provinces. It would be like expecting Sussex and Kent to have dramatically different units in a theoretical England Total War or expecting Rhode Island and Connecticut to be dramatically different in a hypothetical America Total War. The small unit varieties of Shogun 2 are part of what makes it realistic. Similarly, having said that, it's not that there is a lack of unit variety in the game anyway. There are less unit types than previous Total War games certainly but that is not the same as there not being any variety at all, there is just the right amount of variety and for those who disagree there is DLC which offers more units at a cheap price. Similarly, a lot of the complaints are from people who simply can't figure out how to play the game properly. For example, with diplomacy I was also slightly frustrated with it when I began playing but as I played the game more I figured out how to use it properly and I no longer have any problems with it. I feel it's unfair to blame the game for your own lack of ability when playing it. In summary, the game is great but not without flaws. Ignore a lot of the moaning you hear about the game, some is valid and some is not. Engage your brain to realise the difference. However, do NOT buy this game if a large part of your motivation behind purchasing it is the multiplayer, you will be very disappointed. DO buy this game if you have enjoyed the single player campaign of the other Total War games and don't mind a little bit of extra strategy involved in the gameplay. Expand
  37. Aug 25, 2011
    A work of art. Absolutely the most polished TW game out & its stunning. Everything from the music, the visuals, the pacing, the setting & options available to you and of course the stunning battles will just blow u away! Excellent job to the developers on one of the best Strategy games out. Now the problem is how to get over my addiction to this game..... just... one... more turn!!!!!
  38. Sep 1, 2011
    A decent addition to the already worthy Total War series. After Empire and Napoleon, I especially liked that Total War picked a less firearms focused theme this time. And the mechanics and overall gameplay are well done. If there's anything I could criticise, it's probably the lack of different loading screens.
  39. Sep 4, 2011
    Just imagine its the late nineties and a flurry of edgy "modern" RTS games were taking up much of our sleeping time, if anyone could predict where the strategy industry would have been in 2011 im sure nobody would have conceived the scale of professionalism that the total war series have come to achieve! The series are quite simply the most perfect example of Total War! (Yes i am a fanboy......)
  40. Sep 4, 2011
    Sehr gutes spiel jedoch muss ich sagen das es sich um ein verdammt schweres spiel handelt.
    die grafik ist sehr gut gelungen und kann mit einer ATI 5870 und einem vernünftigem 4 x core mit allen details gespielt werden.
  41. Dec 18, 2011
    The firs total war i played was shogun when i saw shogun 2 i though plz tell me they didnt make it suck like napoleon and empire ! and now that i have it i must say its a hell of a game ! best RTS so far ! i didnt believe its better than rome total war too coz i was huge fan or rome as i was with the first shogun
    now u have rpg elements and finally the multiplayer is worth playing it ! its
    now u have rpg elements and finally the multiplayer is worth playing it ! its not a custom battle ! u can play campaign mode online and if u are playing singleplayer u give the battle from the system to one radom player online :D it has so much stuff and now the melee army is fighting better but still some times they stay there do nothing(not all the army just one or two ) the only bad think is that ... will they make another one as good as this?
  42. Sep 24, 2011
    Excellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have noExcellent RTS, The only problem i would say there was, was the lack of units. I realize they saved them for DLC's but for reasons I won't get into I was never able to get those. Therefore it bothered me that there where more things I could have had to work with and knew it before the DLC's ever game out because of the hints in the encyclopedia. Other than that though, I pretty much have no complaints. I would perhaps like to see one day, if Total War made gorilla warfare more important rather than always just making large armies that steamroll their way through the enemies hopes and dreams in seconds. Expand
  43. Oct 9, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games ever ! Joining RTS with turn strategy is best idea, and it is working perfectly. I really like this world of samurais, ninjas etc etc. Programmers did not make this game so complicated but nicely and user friendly. I recommend to play S2 with all my hart ! Rgrds
  44. Oct 17, 2011
    It brings the fun you are looking for when you buy any of the Total War series, and it does it with style. Not the pinnacle of the series, I would say that Rome and even Medieval 2 were better, but still worth your money. It takes time to finish the single player campaign, re-playable, and the multi-player part is fun too. If you are a TW fun, this is a must for you!
  45. Nov 13, 2012
    Not just Strategy; Out of the 10,000+ games made, I think this is the best ever. It takes everything I loved from Rome:TW, and moves it to the current generation... I am so excited for Rome 2 that I just **** my pants.
  46. Dec 31, 2011
    This is a great game. It's possibly the best strategy game ever made. It runs smoothly even on older hardware. I can't say enough good things about it.
  47. May 10, 2012
    This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games.This game is the best Total war game to date. This Total war game does not have the best campaign to date but I can't explain why. The map has stunning visuals and a large variety of factions, maybe Im not as interested in Japan's history as I am in Napoleonic history. The actual battles are the what make the game. Shogun 2 has removed all of the problems of all the other total war games. The game rewards attacking over defending(Crippling noob campers in multiplayer) by adding Keypoints in the centre of the map which give bonuses to the player that captures them. If a player captures all of the keypoints a counter begins which stops campers completely. This encourages players to rush for the centre, pretty much throwing all idea's of corner camping into the garbage. The sieges are just epic. Seiges have been limited to 20 minutes and attackers have been given more money to spend allowing the defenders to attack quickly instead of bombarding castles for an hour. Graphics are 5/5, Campaign 2.5/5 and gameplay is 4.5/5.

Also get Fall of the Samurai.
  48. Jun 16, 2012
    In subjective way, I am very interested in samurai and japan history. Regardless of my interests, this game is awesome. What I see is not only about game, it's also about history. Moreover, it makes you feel like you are really running a country or a military clan.
  49. Jun 11, 2012
    Brilliant atmosphere, immersing you in Japanese culture. Great and varied gameplay, lots of units, upgrades, and government management.

The online play, though, can be dodgy: with people farming their avatar level by rigging siege matches (for example, they will take nothing but gunmen on a multi-tiered castle and take infantry moral reducing abilities).
  50. May 30, 2012
    Excellent game. The blend of turn based and real time strategy is incredibly addictive. The battles are extremely fun, and the AI is well thought out. Multiplayer is fun too, but really just for playing with friends because the balancing in online match play doesn't really work.

Would be worthy of a 10, but it's got a few annoying bugs.
  51. Jun 12, 2012
    The game is extremely good on the campaign and could easily become glued to it for hours. The graphics aren't the best I have seen but then again I am playing on a 42" TV, may I add HD for that matter :P

The only downfall to Shogun 2 is that the online is extremely poor!! The characters are not evenly matched. I had my general with no casualties taken out by Yari Ki, even though the Yari Ki have sustained casualties before battle, I find this extremely stupid as this is like top notch spear men getting wiped out by peasants!! If you want good online play stick to Napoleon Total war (I haven't played Shogun 1), but for a kick ass campaign stick with Shogun 2.

Another thing I didn't like about Shogun 2 is that melee infantry are pretty useless online (I have won with melee but was extremely hard), it's all about the line infantry just like Napoleon.

My verdict get Shogun 2 for campaign and Napoleon for online.
  52. Aug 25, 2012
    I was introduced to the total war series/franchise by Rome:Total war and after I bought shogun 2 it felt like I really was the shogunete ruling japan with an iron fist.I honestly think shogun 2 is the best modern graphics and gameplay wise RTS game that players have been waiting for
  53. Oct 6, 2012
    It's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to thisIt's nice that the Creative A. went back to japan again, i love that time in which the samurai ruled. There are not many changes compared to previous parts but everything is perfected. I give it a 9 because, like the first shogun, this game draws you into a piece of history, it has great fitting music and the great gameplay. Graphics are nice but I don't think that is a priority to this genre. This game will keep me busy for a while. Expand
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    Never played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job andNever played multipalyer for this game, but I did like the campaign mode. I am an avid Total War fan all the way to the first Shogun game, so I was giddy when I heard they were making a modern sequel. As I expected, it is much similar to the first game but with massive improvements in graphics, AI, game elements, and gameplay. The AI is still not the best, but it still does a good job and generally makes smart moves. Sometimes the AI definitely gets to be in a pain in the neck when they make a move that I unfortunately failed to see coming and they begin razing my towns ugh! But that's part of the fun of this game.

The best part, other than the actual strategic elements on the campaign map, are of course the real-time battles that you can dive into. My gaming rig thankfully can handle maxed out graphics, and this baby is GORGEOUS! I wish there was blood and gore though; I honestly haven't checked if there's a mod or DLC for that yet.

I wish the mini-cut scenes for agents were more varied, but as always I am intrigued to watch and see whether they succeed or fail. Speaking of cut scenes, the generals' speeches before every battle are always fun to listen to and watch. Yes, they if you think about it they are kinda funny and cheesy, but if you set your mind to it you do appreciate that they try to make it inspirational and immersive that way.

While some reviews here complain that all it really comes down to is who has the bigger army, particularly in caste sieges, I beg to differ. I have won countless battles now in my dozens of hours of gameplay where I was outnumbered, sometimes even 2:1. What truly matters is unit experience, unit type, and how you deploy them in the battlefield.

One grip I do have about the sieges is that the fortress/city or whatever aren't realistic or as expansive/detailed as you would expect one to be. It's mostly a huge empty space where your army is deployed, guard towers (if you have any), maybe a building or two and a shrine, and then the walls. That's about it, which is unrealistic. That said, it is nice to see there are buildings beyond the walls, like small villages around the main city, but again even those aren't as big as they should be.

One of the best RTS games you can play, with samurais and ninjas! How awesome is that?? Very.
  55. Dec 30, 2012
    It's like Rome but with Japan and co-op.I much prefer the clan choice to all other total war games and I prefer the map even if it's a little small.Still really good.
  56. Apr 1, 2013
    I've been playing the game since its release and have more than 500 hours of gameplay. During this time I've found a single Bug, and the game has never crashed.
    Bug:
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2268/2012010800001.jpg Compared to its predecessors: + better graphics + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic + smarter AI + useful agents + well animated combats + awesome special
    Bug:

Compared to its predecessors:
    + better graphics
    + Gunners & Archers shoot more realistic
    + smarter AI
    + useful agents
    + well animated combats
    + awesome special Abilities such as the warshout of the warrior monks
    - every faction has pretty the same units
    - small Map

Overall it's an awesome game like all of its predecessors.
  57. Apr 25, 2013
    To truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have toTo truly rate this game you should not only buy the the main version, but also spend some money on DLCs, unlocking all the clans and special units. They add quite a lot of diversity and make the game more interesting, creating new strategic options and giving you some extra challenge when adapting to certain enemy advantages. The cost of those add-ons, from which most we shouldn't have to pay for IMO, are the main reason I won't give it 10. The game mechanics, graphics and pure joy battles will give you are incredible and it's worth every dime you spend on it, but still unlocking some of it's content is clearly overpriced and it's hard not to be at least a little disgusted with how Sega manages those. Expand
  58. Apr 25, 2013
    Being a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take awayBeing a big fan of the Total War franchise I really enjoyed this game. Everything in it lived up to my expectations for it. The only drawbacks in the game is a lack of variety when it comes to units, the new focus on DLCs and the fact that easier AI opponents tend to be easier because they are stupid and exhibit typical 'stupid AI'-behavior. However, missing unit variety does not take away any of the wonderful fun in commanding large armies in your quest for the title of Shogun in single player, and even the new DLC focus can be forgiven with the release of great DLCs like The Rise- and The Fall of the Samurai. The 'stupid AI'-problem can be fixed by upping the difficulty of the game or by playing the multiplayer segment. Even this multiplayer segment is very well done and can present a true challenge to everyone.
    All in all the game is great and should be recommended to anyone who likes commanding armies in a mix between real time and turn based strategy.
    I look forward to see what is next for the Total War Series.
  59. May 22, 2013
    Played this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unitPlayed this game for around 900 hours solo in campaign mode. It's extremely addictive. There are 2 things bad to say about this game. Siege battles are sometimes unplayable because units are stuck behind a wall, don't respond to your orders etc..Same happened with the previous ones and it sometimes ruined your whole campaign!! Another disadvantage is that their is pretty much no unit variation like rome and medieval. Expand
  60. Jun 5, 2013
    Good game, but the game has some downsides, like the Realm divide. Still a very good game. The massive battles are fun as hell! I recommend this game to any Total War game. If you are not sure, play the demo or wait for Rome 2!
  61. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is great and has good music.

Multiplayer quick battle matchmaking: Its very punishing on new players because of veteran units gaining more stats however if you keep at it you'll eventually have those veteran units. I've played this part of the game the most as its very fun. Only thing I wouldn't recommend is having a normal Shogun 2 army fighting a Fall of the Samurai army.
    This game is great and has good music.

Single player campaign: Takes quite a few hours to complete a single campaign. Realm divide is just plain annoying and wasn't expected the first time I ran into it and sadly the higher difficulties aren't as enjoyable because you're stuck defending the whole game. If you don't mind preparing for realm divide it can be fun.

Co-op Campaign: I've only completed maybe three of these. You can share units with your friend in battles so they have something to do other than watch the fight which is nice.

Only real complaint about this game is the loading times. (An example of this is the start up load screen takes about 2 minutes every time.) Other than that its an amazing game and I recommend it.
  62. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing all of the Total War games, I could easily crown this the reigning champion.

Its easy to admire the wonderful graphics and solid UI, but where it shines is in its subtle aspects (Historical accuracy, the way agents and armies/towns synergies, etc). There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what

There is a completeness to the gameplay that is hard to capture and present to an audience. Overall, Shogun is best at what it does. So do yourself a favor and get this one.
  63. Sep 5, 2013
    If you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have youIf you have ever played any other total war game you know exactly what you are getting into. A very strong strategy game with in depth and detailed units that will have you're jaw dropped. Something a little bit new in this installment is the animations, hand to hand combat has never looked so good. Other than the looks, the actual game will have you sit down in your chair and have you think about the future of your clan, truly a thinking man's game, have Christianity spread through your lands and you may have a split in society, some saying you have lost your tradition, others praising you for open mindedness. Anyways this is a great buy! Expand
  64. Sep 5, 2013
    Only after playing Rome 2 I released how good Shogun 2 was. Here we have user friendly and nice interface. Family tree which ensures great roleplay. Graphics are great and Sakura are amazingly beautiful

I strongly recommend to try this game if you never played TW games before. Rome 2 currently is a huge mess.
  65. Mar 17, 2011
    Shogun 2: Total War has to be the best experience I've had in an RTS in a very long time. The campaign is stellar and reeks of creativity. Many features from previous Total War games really lacked in comparison to this game. It literally kept me up for a 36 hour period of non stop campaign fun. Multiplayer is the most hilarious fun I've had in years. The players are fair and challenging,Shogun 2: Total War has to be the best experience I've had in an RTS in a very long time. The campaign is stellar and reeks of creativity. Many features from previous Total War games really lacked in comparison to this game. It literally kept me up for a 36 hour period of non stop campaign fun. Multiplayer is the most hilarious fun I've had in years. The players are fair and challenging, not to mention friendly which is a surprise from most of my RTS experiences over the years. The games mechanics and innovation from previous Total War games are awesome to say the least, the Concept of Bushido, the ability to convert to Christianity, and the whole concept of massive warfare, I loved this game, I highly recommend it to anyone who's ever enjoyed an RTS or a TBS game. The game play is fun and challenging. The one flaw I'm sure they will correct is the sort of uselessness the Bow Calvary have, otherwise this is simply a great game. It's the best game I've played in two years.

Get this game as quickly as humanly possible, If you don't believe me, check other reviewers on this site.
  66. Apr 28, 2011
    A brilliant game. Innovative. Always leaving us stunned.
    2 Shogun: Total War deserves a standing ovation on its graphics, gameplay, technical capacity and playable and interesting itinerary grudante. But not yet overcome the almost perfect game from Blizzard. The interesting game: 9 / 10
  67. Mar 26, 2011
    Beautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor tooBeautiful and well optimized, Smart, opportunist AIs (well most of the time, even on the easiest difficulty), This is the most enjoyable, that require critical thinking the most to date for me. achievement related unlockables for MP mode adds purpose to playing for achievements with many games lack of, Unit are balance: Full of rock paper scissors mechanisms. Not too casual nor too complex, loads of replay valve for SP, SP is more than enough but they also even complement us with decent MP too, little bit of everything with all goodness in it, I am going to enjoy this for long long time, I'm sure you will too. Expand
  68. Mar 18, 2011
    Total War: Shogun 2 improves upon everything which was good before, as well as significantly improving some things which let previous Total Wars down, such as dumb AI. They have gone into amazing detail in regards to the history and encylopedia, much more than is necessary, which is not a bad thing.
  69. Mar 24, 2011
    Simply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you playSimply cannot give this game anything lower than a 10. My first attempt to play a 'Total War' game seriously, and utterly superb in every aspect. Beautifully presented, it has an addictive campaign map with a plethora of building, research and advancement options, and a battlefield system which appeals to the tactical/historical purists and the casual gamers alike. Each campaign you play develops stories that feel personal to your clan, generals develop their own traits and personalities, and the game constantly throws engaging challenges and diplomatic intrigue your way. Just. One. More. Turn. Expand
  70. Apr 7, 2011
    A stunning gaming achievement. The depth! the depth of it! I salute you for making this. You all deserve to be millionaires. I land an army via sea - in the centre of Japan, I make alliances with Date in the East and together we destroy central and western Japan - then realm divide! No need to worry, my ally has got my back and I have just taken the Shogunate. GENIUS!
  71. Mar 20, 2011
    Great game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (OneGreat game, Great visuals. AI is a lot smarter than previous Total War games. Overall i give this a 10 for game play, strategy, and for the fact that it is historically correct (Unit and building wise, also the clan names).And i love how General speeches before battle are back again! Its fun, and will keep you up for hours! I kept saying to myself at 4am (One more turn then bed) 5am, (One more turn then bed) 6am, (One more turn then bed). Here it is now 8am and i just stopped playing because my eyes are square and my nose is bleeding a little (Joking about the nose bleed! Thought it might give the review a more of a hard core gamer believability, LoL). Anyway, Enjoy this game its worth every dollar. Once again Creative Assembly do the PC Gaming community a Great deed and release another fantastic title that will have you hooked until the next one is released. Expand
  72. Mar 25, 2011
    According to tradition in the modern gaming industry, the game went unfinished. Global work on multiplayer, interesting game mechanics, great atmosphere, almost historical accuracy and bugs, bugs, bugs, which, however, do not interfere with enjoyment of the gameplay.

and yes, the game is a little loose powder! Personally, I'm a horror as happy.
  73. Mar 17, 2011
    Total War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurateTotal War has with it's newest installment made a fantastic game. They have listened to users of previous Total War games and created a beautiful mix between historical fact and in-game balance. The game AI is now more intelligent than ever both in the campaign and in the beautiful battles, which it surely lacked in battles in previous games. The difficulty settings are a lot more accurate now, making very hard - very hard!

My sole complain about the game is the different types of armies. The armies of the different clans are almost similar (containing the same units and skins) except the stats of the individual units, which creates a somewhat boring game in length. These units are however so fantastically made in both animation and model and the individual fights between the units look so real and unique.
    I do however suspect the release of DLC containing both new units and individual units for each faction.

One other problem with the game is that it needs patching and they should have waited a few weeks more before releasing. There are problems for people with starting up the game, errors in the game and the multiplayer is not working very well at the moment. It also lacks Direct X11 at the moment (along with AA).

This is a great game with the best gameplay and most beautiful battles made so far in the Total War series. If you have played one of the previous Total War games or loves strategy games either real time or turn-based (or both), then you should definitely try this one out.

Rating at the release of the game it should only receive 9/10, but as I expect it will be patched thoroughly, I rate it max.

I find that the game needs Steam to run is the best solution to anti-piracy and I do not think it is a problem as most people use Steam now a days.
    Also, to all you people who comment (and therefore rate the game) before trying it out - could you please wait until you have tried the game, otherwise you CANNOT rate the game and also you look like idiots!
  74. Mar 17, 2011
    I have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantryI have always enjoyed the Total War series, since the first time I tried Rome: Total War. The series has had some questionable expansions but all and all it have been a great RTS serie. But when I played Empire: Total War, I somehow got disappointed. It was no longer about Infantry vs. archers vs. cavalry, which always have been the simple core of the games. instead you had only infantry and some bad cavalry. The Map was to big and there where no "easy" factions.

With Shogun 2 the Creativ Assembly have taken a step back and is no more focused about the all way of gameplay. Shogun 2 is a great game... the gameplay is simple, the looks are nice and the game just works. Everything is understandable and makes sense. the only thing that pulls this game down is the sometime stupid AI and the errors in multiplayer.

I recommend this game for everybody who's interested in RTS's.
  75. Mar 17, 2011
    An excellent game. Have played most of the previous total war games, however Empire and Napoleon where not to liking game mechanics wise - this game is more a kin to the earlier total war installments. Particular highlight of this game would include the multiplayer experience as this is pretty well thought out. I honestly can't fault much, if anything, with this game.
  76. Mar 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing about three hours I can say with certainty that this is the best game in the series, and I began to play more with the first Shogun, Shogun 2 is a masterpiece, here everything is so elaborated in detail that one can only take my hat off to the development team, and I played all the games in series and am not particularly fond of Japan, though I respect them a great culture, the era of Rome, one of the favorite but Shogun 2 is so epic that is done I'm sure you'll be impressed with how the game is made with love. Maybe the game is not so much for everything, and nearly to the story (although I may be wrong), but once you get addicted to the game you forget about it, this game is a very good way to get acquainted with the culture of Japan, part of which remained in modern Japan I have always respected them for their spirit, and I am sure that out of this tragedy they leave as soon as possible with minimal losses. Expand
  77. Apr 4, 2011
    This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game.This is the best Total War game since the old MTW game. The difficulty levels are finally what they should be and the game is finally challenging again. It's not the prettiest of the series (still waiting on that DX11 update) but it by far is the best right now in gameplay and fun. I've ranted about the TW series from RTW forward because the game has felt like playing a romper room game. This one I've stayed up way into the night playing as time just flies by I'm having so much fun. If you've been on the fence get off of it and get out there and get this. I think GoGamer.com has it for $33 and some change or did. Don't listen to the panty waist little rts boys who can't stand a game that beats them. :) Expand
  78. Mar 15, 2011
    A Truly Outstanding performance indeed, out of all the latest Total War games, Empire, and Napoleon, I think that Shogun 2 gives more strategic options as it have a fair options of unit type. While in Napoleon and Empire most players think that those who fire first will have the advantage, especially in multiplayer, where both players maybe thinking the same thing and this could causeA Truly Outstanding performance indeed, out of all the latest Total War games, Empire, and Napoleon, I think that Shogun 2 gives more strategic options as it have a fair options of unit type. While in Napoleon and Empire most players think that those who fire first will have the advantage, especially in multiplayer, where both players maybe thinking the same thing and this could cause boredome to the entire game. I especially love the new feature where the agent Ninja and some other could enter the battlefield and provide support, but also more siege battles and the idea of using bamboos as the raw materials for the boats. Great Work Creative Assembly! Keep it up! Expand
  79. Mar 16, 2011
    Wow, this game drips quality and playing is a pure pleasure. Improved battle AI means battles stay exciting and dramatic. I think the mis-steps of Empire have pushed this game to be the great accomplishment that it is.
  80. Mar 22, 2011
    This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges.This is the best Total Game in the series. BEst AI, Very polished. Amazing Multiplayer. This is how all other games should benchmark themselves. There are however some problems though. Some bugs which should be smoothed out with the inevitable patches. Sieges has the AI go to Sleep if you use certain tactics. (However, I must stress that CA has never really gotten the handle on sieges. Shogun 2 is heading the reight direction. There are some graphical problems, which seems to be mostly centered around the latest video cards. Slightly older top line cards provide a rock steady platform.

Played the Takeda at Normal, it provided a very very satisfying experience and most of all very fun. This is one game that I will be playing for a long time.
  81. Mar 22, 2011
    After the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AIAfter the somewhat disapointing Empire and Napoleon games this is almost exactly what I had hoped for. Everything seems more polished than in the former games. I especially like the new interface look as well as the strategic map. Management of your clan and army is a lot more comfortable. The graphics are very good as expected. My biggest gripe with the predecessors was the battle AI which seems to have improved quite a bit, but unfortunately is still lacking and sometimes acts very strangely. Still this game can definitely be recommended for anybody interested in strategy. Expand
  82. Mar 16, 2011
    This is a great new installment to the total war franchise. They have successfully combined all their efforts into a completely enjoyable game. Great graphics (even better when the DX 11 patch comes out), a terrific artistic style. Tone of good voice overs, although the adviser gets real annoying real fast, I had to turn it off.
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the
    I can only give the game a 9 though, because some of the same old TW quirks are still there, and I was hoping that in a game that is mostly just a cosmetic makeover, some of the engine would get tweaked. I wont go into detail, but if you are a hardcore TW gamer you know the annoyances I refer to. Still an awesome game and well worth it.
  83. Mar 17, 2011
    Beautiful game. I never played any of the total war games, I wanted too just never got the time. Now out comes a shiny new one and I couldn't resist. It is so immersible and beautiful. A few glitches here and there but the team have already sent out a patch for the PC, in 2 days? Bravo.
    I recommend indeed. The attention to detail is very nice and treats the material with respect. The battles are intense, I found myself biting my nails in the hope my plan of attack would work in some cases :)
  84. Mar 16, 2011
    New Features such as agent/ninja cutscene. High graphics. runs smoothly on intel CORE. no bugs. the units speaks japanese. the sound changes during battles which is awesome!!
  85. Mar 17, 2011
    I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment,I've been on the line on the Total War series for a few years. After playing the demo for Napoelon, i wasnt convinced. When the first videos of Shogun 2 were shown I was very interested. I was born in Japan and always enjoyed it's history and culture so the location was a plus. Then the demo came out, and because of the demo I bought the game. The graphics, combat, scenery, environment, music, voices, everything is just perfect for this game. Unlike other RTS games that are purely based on hotkey memorization and clicking faster than your enemy, this game requires THINKING faster and smarter and clicking faster doesn't mean anywhere near as much. The co-op campaign is also great fun if you have someone that will take the time to play with you. The only problem I've had with the game is purely my own, the enemy is too smart for me at my current skill level-and that's a good thing. Expand
  86. Mar 22, 2011
    I've been following the Total War series since TW: Rome. I have to say Shogun 2 is probably the best TW series of the bunch. Playing on Normal, individual battles are generally not a challenge for the experienced player (most battles end with a heroic victory) but still, you can tell that the battlefield AI is much improved over previous releases. The campaign AI is a lot better too.
  87. Mar 20, 2011
    I can't seem to put this game down, I already have 30 hours played and the game came out a just over 4 days ago. Sure there are some day-of-release bugs, but do you expect? It's sad that this has become a norm but: every game has them, I won't knock off points for that. The graphics are stunning, and the music is phenomenal, but the game truly shines in the game play aspect, the co-opI can't seem to put this game down, I already have 30 hours played and the game came out a just over 4 days ago. Sure there are some day-of-release bugs, but do you expect? It's sad that this has become a norm but: every game has them, I won't knock off points for that. The graphics are stunning, and the music is phenomenal, but the game truly shines in the game play aspect, the co-op campaign's only flaw is that I can't have a 3 month long 8 player campaign with my friends. To everyone complaining about the bugs, I'm sure The Creative Assembly won't pull a Treyarch on this one, every game has bugs, don't give it a 0/10 because of something that can easily be fixed. It's only been 4 days for crying out loud. Expand
  88. Mar 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Love that game! In comparison to its predecessors it's so much more realistic and the gameplay a lot more exciting. Spent a good couple of hours in anterooms playing that game! Expand
  89. Mar 25, 2011
    I must say that I gave Empire a horrible review due to the numerous bugs and loss of support. The release day Shogun 2 is in better shape than Empire was left in. I have only seen minor, non-game breaking bugs after about 40 hrs of play. The Creative Assembly have released a fairly polished game, that should only get better in time.
  90. Jun 13, 2011
    I was a huge fan of the first, and the other titles that followed. This is improved nicely, the AI is vastly improved, the economy is a little more advanced. It's not as easy to gain generals, I actually have to work at it. Don't forget to get married so that your character has heirs.. I sure hope that they remake Rome TW.
  91. Mar 29, 2011
    Superbe ! L'immersion est garantie, le jeu est très prenant. Je regrette que cette qualité ne se retrouve pas dans ETW où la carte est bien plus intéressante. Pas de bugs, et avec les mods (darth...) ça va faire très mal.
  92. Apr 7, 2011
    i'm still hopefull there will be a World TotalWar but a huge 10 from me, brilliant game. i've played every TW since it came out and love the new easy access of the features.
  93. Apr 14, 2011
    A great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly hasA great comeback to the original Total War games! The music has Jeff Van Dyck back which is great since, he's music always made up a good Total War game very enjoyable and emotional. The battles are stunning to look at, the multiplayer just gets better, and the singleplayer campaign will get you sucked in for a very, very long time! It is definitely worth your money, Creative Assembly has done a fantastic job on this game! We can only hope for them to continue their work forth. Expand
  94. May 14, 2011
    Great game.... Thank you CA for an awesome game graphics are superb, gameplay is very awesome, what more can you ask for? if you like the total war series then dont even hesitate to buy this game.
  95. Mar 18, 2011
    GOTY 2011 for strategy of the year 2011. Advanced land and naval battles. Markedly better AI on a map and on battlefield. Good avatar and inovative multiplayer. 10/10!
  96. Mar 19, 2011
    I'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel likeI'm going to keep this simple because no one would read this long review when there are a ton of people who are basically saying the same thing I would say. Amazing, amazing game, and the best time for people who aren't fans of the series to give it another look. Graphics = top notch, the best in any RTS/Turn based strategy. Gameplay = A very addictive experience. Really makes me feel like I'm commanding my troops in battle or leading my clan to victory on the campaign map. Sounds = Hey, if you like Japanese themed sound and music then this game has the best. If not, then one of the beauties if this game might be truly lost on you. Multiplayer = I can honestly say I haven't even tried it out. For a $50 release, I am happy with it not having any multiplayer what so over. This game has everything, as far as multiplayer goes it's just an added bonus. I heard mixed things about it anyway, so my only advice is that you check it out for everything else first and then see if you'd really like to get trounced in multiplayer before you go that route ;) All that being said, amazing amazing game... one of my favorites, and I'm going to be hooked on this for a long time I think. Awesome job CA! You guys rock! 11/10 if I could ;) Expand
  97. Mar 16, 2011
    I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the game yet, but from my first six hours of campaign play this is a much much better game than the other two recent iterations of the Total war series. It manages to achieve what everyone loved so much in Rome and Medieval, while still bringing in the new features that Empire and Napoleon brought without making them into a complete pile of crap.I haven't spent a massive amount of time on the game yet, but from my first six hours of campaign play this is a much much better game than the other two recent iterations of the Total war series. It manages to achieve what everyone loved so much in Rome and Medieval, while still bringing in the new features that Empire and Napoleon brought without making them into a complete pile of crap. Having been one of the many disappointed and disillusioned CA fans after those last two games it came as a massively pleasant surprise. What I will say is from first day experience, is that finding a game using the current multi player interface can be quite hard and slow, this will no doubt change though. One last thing if your really obsessed with playing in DX 10 and 11, and it must be said with the anti aliasing that these features allow, then i would wait till the first patch to get this, as their currently unavailable in game. Expand
  98. Mar 18, 2011
    Probably the best strategy game in last several years, its just amazing, combat is great, art is amazing, music is fantastic, multiplayer is good, i dunno what else to add,except its worth money :)
  99. Mar 18, 2011
    The Total War series returns. Welcome back! I'm happy to announce that with Shogun 2, the Total War series is back on track. It fully captures the feudal Japan we all wanted to re-visit from the first Shogun. It sports great graphics, with DX11 on the way in a future patch, high-quality sfx and japanese inspired music. Thousands of units can be fielded at once for epic battles. The unitThe Total War series returns. Welcome back! I'm happy to announce that with Shogun 2, the Total War series is back on track. It fully captures the feudal Japan we all wanted to re-visit from the first Shogun. It sports great graphics, with DX11 on the way in a future patch, high-quality sfx and japanese inspired music. Thousands of units can be fielded at once for epic battles. The unit complexity and diversity is lowered from Empire/Napoleon. Now there are set units which can be upgraded and which can gain veterancy. This provides a much more understandable and enjoyable gameplay. Unit stats, pros/cons are explained by a simple mouse-over. Fantastic! Now you have the data you need in order to make those crucial in-battle decisions.

The 3d map is back and better than ever with its functionality increased.

Summary: You need to play Shogun 2. It is a way more accessible game than the previous entries to the Total War series. The best part about that is that it doesn't sacrifice the addictive gameplay in order to achieve that effect. Support the developers. We want to see the series continue and our minds blown again and again. There is nothing like Total War.
  100. Mar 17, 2011
    Excellent addition to an excellent series (well, Empire had some major hiccups upon release). Everything is improved, from the a.i. to the campaign map. The game is simply more fine tuned. The lack of AA may be a little irksome to some, but the game itself more than makes up for it.

1. Jul 14, 2011
    There is a je ne sais quoi elegance on how the game is presented and how well put together the game as an entire corpus is. Although it's still mired by some version 1.0 bugs, Shogun is highly playable and deserves a place on any Total War fan's hard drive.
    Beautiful, complex and varied historical strategy which offers hours of fun in single player and multiplayer modes. [Issue#203]
    The mix of turn based strategy (with economical, political and diplomatic ramifications) and real time battles is still wonderful, but the need to balance timing and aggression is more important than ever. Aggressive players will feel a little cheated, while diplomats will hate Realm Divide stage. Still, Total War was always about realism and the AI's scripted actions make logical and historical sense.