7.8

1. Aug 10, 2012
    It's comeback of very fresh series and great evidence that games similiar to old school FPS games (Increadibly high skill gap, very fast gameplay) are still great and haven't become worse. It lacks in reminder of how great singleplayer campaigns can be made without overscripting, but who cares! Even having multiplayer only game is enough!

The fresh gameplay works fantastically. It
    doesn't work as well in closed enviroments when compared to open enviroments due to the game's explosive focus. But it still works. Every kill feels very satisfying, making you play the game longer and longer.

But sure this can't be just praising of the game? Well, there are few weapons, which would take forever to unlock without using real money. Yes, there needs to be a way for the developers to have money, but when the only primary explosive weapon of a specific class is Pay-2-Use, it does get a little annoying. As a good thing though, the game isin't Pay-2-Win, even with weapons like that.

Can I honestly find any other bad things? No. So just like many others, I recommend this game. Its quality flies over 99.9999% of the other FPS games released today.
  2. Apr 17, 2012
    I was very surprised to be able to play this for free. Tribes 2 was my favorite game for a long time and now its predecessor was FTP??? Life was great. Then I spent a lot of money on gold. Life is still great. Download it and continue to build this community. It's a great game with so many options. Don't miss out!
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    Really fantastic, easily the best FPS Shooter to be released since Team Fortress 2. The game is f2p, but don't let that scare you; all equipment can be unlocked via normal play (like TF2) and no weapons are exclusive to paying users. Virtually no other recent MP shooter rewards skill and strategy as well as Tribes does, I never felt I was being randomly killed or the situation was outside my control. The graphics and design are slick and polished, the weapons feel great, and theres heaps of play styles (from defensive turret building, to stealthy infiltration to gung-ho heavy weapons)

The pay model is virtually identical to TF2; and hence very fair. In fact I'd say Tribes pay model is probably fairer since you can choose what you unlock with XP (rather than TF2's random drops)
  4. Apr 12, 2012
    This review is for the beta up 'till april 10th. Good: -The game is fast paced, the maps are well designed and it's generally fun and addictive -the ski mechanic feels new and cool effectively makes big maps fast to travel on foot -vehicles are cool -good optimization options (except for the mouse in the menu) Bad: -I miss faster weaponry -I also miss more color diversity in some maps -the leveling up system is a little slow for non paying users (but maybe that's the point of it)
    -the paid perks are too expensive right now.
  5. Apr 13, 2012
    The first FREE game to deserve Game of The Year! or at least FPS of the year. Tribes: Ascend blew me away with the graphics and the fast, fun combat. At first it is hard to ski around and hit people but really fun once you get used to it.
  6. Apr 12, 2012
    The game is officially out now and I would like to say that it is amazing. The speed, the shooting, the skiing. It all feels awesome. I would recommend that everyone check this game out immediately.
  7. Apr 13, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you liked Star Siege Tribes, you'll love this game, it's a total throwback to the old school. It is definitely a different type of play style when you compare it to something like Modern Warfare. Also, to anyone comparing this to Halo, let me say this; Tribes was first. For free too? Definitely get it. I put it up there with TF2.
  8. Apr 28, 2012
    Fantastic game, the Tribes 2 style and community being resurrected, hell yeah ! Not only is it A Tribes game done right, it is free to play !
    But honestly, the $50 package is by far the best and you won't regret it.
    Also please gives some kudos on Twitter to Chris Rickwood (@chrisrickwood).
    He is the genius composer behind that awesome music.
    Really, that game has everything right, TRY IT !!
  9. Apr 14, 2012
    I've been playing non-stop since the game was released and I have to say that Hi-Rez have made a big step up from Global Agenda. This is a lot more fun and it's what the users want. Free to Play where most things are unlock able with xp earned while playing (Paying money doesn't give any combat advantage). Fast paced action, easy to play but hard to master.
  10. Apr 15, 2012
    The golden age of FPS games is returning! Tribes Ascend is fast and skill based - nothing like the "realistic" shooters peddled primarily on consoles. I've only been playing for a few hours, but already I find the gameplay deeply satisfying. Some kills are easy, but the hardest of them mean chasing that bastard across the whole map - at break neck speed (skiing) peppering them with the assault rifle the whole time! Tons of fun!

I find the store/upgrades are a little hard to navigate and understand, but some things are simple enough to understand (i.e. +4 clip size, +5 ammo carry etc.). It's already been through a long beta, but I suspect we'll see the store improve now that they are making money from it.
  11. Apr 23, 2012
    Fast and balanced gameplay. I picked up the game really fast and enjoyed it. Maps are huge and the gameplay is fun. If you want similar to lets say unreal tournament games but more flying this is the game.
    AND OF COURSE ITS FREE!
  12. Apr 18, 2012
    It's rare that you see a free-to-play that isn't pay to win or forces you to pay to keep playing. Tribes Ascend is F2P done right. The amount of work that went into such an amazing game is mind blowing. If I had the money, I'd send Hi-Rez the prize amount for winning the lottery.

Do yourself a favor. Ignore the negative reviews and try the game. The only reason there are negative reviews
    are because people are bad at the game, and it's not the game's fault. Screw anyone who gives it less than a 6 or 7. Expand
  13. Jun 29, 2012
    The original Tribes was the very first FPS game I had ever played, Tribes 2 was even better, and then the series sort of fell a little short after that. I kept trying to find similar games that allowed for such flexible vertical game play, but nothing ever seemed to quite work out. Tribes: Ascend, however, brings back the nostalgia in the most wonderful way, revitalizing the concept while keeping nearly all of my favorite points from the first games. In the beginning I was a little worried about the "Free to Play" format, but it has proven to be a great move on their part, and extremely versatile. The decision to make every unlock (except vanity skins) free with enough play-time was exactly the right business move, and has kept the community thriving. Earning unlocks and their upgrades also give plenty of reasons to keep playing the game, and more goodies are constantly being added. This brings me to another positive; Hi-Rez is *very* into supporting this game. They have constant updates with new maps, class skins, weapons and game types, and they release these major content updates at a staggering rate of roughly every two weeks. I've determined that they must not sleep much over there, since there's probably twice as much content as when I started playing back in mid-April. I've seen a few people complain about having to lead their shots, skiing, and just vertical game-play in general...which makes me wonder why they've even decided to play Tribes: Ascend. Those mechanics are the very things that make this franchise so unique and special, in addition to being some of the more advertised features. There are plenty of other great shooters out there that keep your feet planted (relatively) firmly on the ground, so if flying through the air and precision shooting isn Expand
  14. Jul 6, 2012
    Free to play done right. I am always skeptical of F2P games, as often there is a barrier to entry that prevents new players from being competitive. For the most part - that is not the case. The only class I can see where this would be an issue is the soldier not having immediate access to a spinfuser, (although you do start out with the thumper, which is a lot like one.) but most other classes start with competitive weapons, some even being BiS. While there is some things that purchasing will give you a slight edge, everything is obtainable with XP, (Even more so with equipment, because you can only unlock upgrades for a weapon by use or 15k xp). There is encouragement it pay - very low xp gain with a non VIP account, but even if you only spend $10(US), you're a VIP forever and have increased XP gain, and can unlock almost everything for the class with very little money spent. So in summary - yes- there is some F2Pness here, but it is one of the most fair models out there, bar TF2. I would like to see more emphasis on money for cosmetics, which looks like it is coming. Gameplay is what sets this apart from it's competitors - Different - Fast Paced. Tactical Gameplay; very sparse in our "Big Developer, play it safe" attitude which is too prevalent at the moment. The game feels like a AAA title, with quick responsive controls. The feeling of polish is such a refresher after the industry seems to have forgotten what it is. You can tell they took player feedback to heart and made the game they - and their fans - wanted. Love is in the air in Tribes, and it feels good. Graphics are smooth - with options, although I wish there were more. Art style is a personal taste, but I feel they did Tribes justice. It looks like a High fidelity remake, in terms of art style. The Warhammer look was well preserved. Sound is good - again this opinion will very. There were no obvious problems, the tracks are very bass heavy and give you a rush which compliments gameplay. All in all - I give this a VERY SOLID 9. One of the best MP games in years, and free to play done in a respectful manner. I just think more emphasis should be put to money for cosmetics than money for guns. I mean, who hasn't seen the infiltrator skin and not been jealous your class didn't have a badass outfit? I'd pay good money for a ninja suit. Expand
  15. May 16, 2012
    At first I was skeptical. A free to play game in this modern age of gaming. I was expecting a dumbed down Tribes with horrible graphics and every way possible to make money off you. But boy was I wrong. This game is absolutely beautiful. The maps have nearly flawless design. The balance of weapons is very stable. And everything in the "modify class" area, you can either use real money for the inpatient player. Or earn your way all the way to 100k xp and feel like a champion on a pedestal. The game is not "pay to win" but pay if you want to unlock some stuff faster. I personally bought the 19.99 pack. But mainly because a game like this is FREE. I had to give them something. Hi Rez deserves the 20 bucks. They made one of the best FPS I've seen in years. The classes all have strengths and weaknesses. No class is too strong, and no class is too weak. There aren't enough gamers playing this game. All they need is one advertisement during prime time television. Announcing that it's FREE and 10/10. And then everybody will be playing this. And the nice thing is, the people who are every day Call Of Duty players, would find the game incredibly bad and annoying. So they would quit very quickly. As this game is only for elite gamers who actually look for a challenge. I can admit. When I first started playing I died ALOT. And when I say alot. I mean it took me like 6 deaths to get 1 kill. But now after playing day in and day out. I get kills all the time. And that's what this game excels in. MAKING you play the game over and over until you get better. This is what modern gamers don't want to hear. They want to be able to jump in a game and instantly have the capabilities to be just as good as veterans. The people who are good at Tribes Ascend are good because of hardcore playing. Not because they have the right perks equipped or a certain gun. This game SHOULD be FPS of the year, But it won't because it will lose to Black Ops 2. Oh well. C'est la vie. Expand
  16. Apr 12, 2012
    A competitive multilayer shooter that doesn't feel like it was developed for thumb sticks, or the people that use them.

-Unique
    -Solid Graphics
    -Great Gameplay
    -Strong Community
    -Fantastic Developer

I can find no issue with this shooter, either you'll like it or you wont. I'm in the former camp.
  17. Apr 12, 2012
    At first I was worried that Hi-Rez Studios would screw the Tribes formula (like what Irrational Games did) but now I want them to make the rest of the Tribes games if they can, The Graphics are great the maps are fun and huge and we still have the good ole' game mechanics of Tribes 2. Plus its Free to Play!
  18. Apr 19, 2012
    Oh gosh, where do i start? I love FPS genre, I play alot of shooters, single/multi alike. I got sucked into the world of Tribes almost instantly. This game is purely awesome. It does everything right and when it doesnt - devs quickly alter it to match what community demands. It's great to know that Tribes: Ascend is still expanding, still getting better. Plenty of goodies, dlc's and patches ahead of us. I dont consider it as Free to Play... because it's almost a crime not to pay for it, it is SO ENJOYABLE. Yes, it is free. It gives you three basic classes and a possibility to upgrade them without paying a penny. It will take more time to unlock your desirable gear, but it is possible to fully enjoy this game without contributing any money... Nevertheless, i felt guilty not to pay. Hi-Rez Studios should know that this game made my day a lot of times and still Im totally in love with their game. Ok, but more about the product - Tribes: Ascend is fast paced, skill-oriented, teamplay shooter. If offers great gameplay and huge, well designed maps (most of the time about 32 players at once). The gimmick of Tribes is skiing - as you move down the slope you can slide and gain momentum. Then, jet packing uphill helps you maintain speed. Combine this and you can achieve even more than 200km/h of pure speed! (when playing the lightest class) Hard to imagine? Watch some gameplays or trailers on youtube. Some people here complained about "going thru the map and meeting no one" or "it's to fast to hit anybody". Sorry, but that's BS. Game is perfectly designed and I suggest PLAYING IT for real and not making stuff up. For those saying "it's boring and easy, just wait for somebody to land" I recommend watching some 'blue plate special' (air kills) videos on yt. Also, play Capture The Flag. Team Deathmatch is more of a warm-up before the real thing. The same with the Arena Mode. It's all good, but CTF is THE ESSENCE of Tribes. Skill and teamplay is all that matters. See you on the battlefields, sandrakers! 10 out of 10. It's a perfect game for me. Expand
  19. Jul 27, 2012
    Like Team Fortress 2, great free-to-play with item system and not all items being unlocked at once unlike old games. Hi-Rez Studios has found out how to correctly balance Tribes: Ascend and avoiding pay-to-win "gameplay." Tribes: Ascend is amazing.
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is probably the only online FPS I've actually enjoyed playing, no other game has you capping the flag at 260km/h screaming WOOHOO WOOHOO as enemies try to shoot you out of the sky with lasers and **** The skiing mechanic is so much fun and jetpacks are just icing on the cake. Every class offers a completely different style of play. It's so much fun and I'd recommend it to anyone. Not to mention that it's also free and it's not pay to win since anything you can get with real money can also be obtained through play. Expand
  21. Apr 12, 2012
    If you are tired of Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Counter-Strike clones and want a much faster-paced game, check out Tribes Ascend. Team Fortress 2 is still the best F2P shooter out there, but Tribes Ascend is a very close 2nd place. Pretty much Tribes Ascend's main thing is Skiing, where you become frictionless. Most of the time you will be going at ~100 km/h, dedicated flagcappers go ~200 km/h, and the best go over 400 km/h. There are only 3 hitscan weapons: Snipers, Shotguns, and some pistols. Everything else is projectile-based, so you need to predict where the enemy will be. There are 9 classes (Unlike the previous in the series which is completely free customization), 3 light, 3 medium, 3 heavy. They all serve a different role. For example, Pathfinder is the fastest class, and is used for flag capturing and chasing. Meanwhile Infiltrator can cloak and has high-damage weapons, which make them excellent at destroying the base from the inside. Juggernauts are very slow but very powerful long-range artillery. But anyway, away from all that class discussion the game is easy to learn, difficult to master. The classes are generally balanced (Although Infiltrator is a bit too powerful currently), but usually unlocking different equipment for them is ridiculously expensive ($8 for major weapons or 100,000 EXP, for example). The community is full of /v/irgins, so mention ANYTHING Reddit and they will freak out and start blindly hating. Overall it's one of the best F2P games ever made, and you should stop what you're doing and download it today. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    I played this for at least 50 hours in the beta, and have put another hundred in since its been on Steam.....this is a simply amazing game.
    The first FPS I have every played that focused more on movement than shooting.
    I know of no better feeling then skiing up the enemies base ramp at 180km an hour, snatching their flag, and turning around on the ski out to spinfuse some retard that
    thinks he's playing Call of Duty in space suits. Also this is truly free to play and not "pay-to-win" Expand
  23. Apr 12, 2012
    Do you like fast paced,old school shooters?Well,if you do,you must have been waiting for another one for years.The waiting's over.Tribes Ascend is what you are looking for.This is the kind of shooter PC community deserves.Designed for PC,no hitscan weapons,you need to go fast and shoot efficiently,a lot of teamplay involved.Hi-rez should be praised for a product like this.Graphics are as good as UE3 can get,the style is awesome and unique,gameplay is satisfying and rewards the skilled players.What else would you expect from a Multiplayer shooter?Oh wait,it's FREE to play as well!

We surely need more games like this.Thank you hi-rez studios.
  24. Jun 30, 2012
    The game that actually takes alot of skills to kill someone ya 360 no scope bastards. I would buy this game even if it was paid. In case it's free-to-play i'm gonna buy some in-game stuff to reward developers. Though there is no pay-to-win formula - everything can be unlocked free.
  25. Oct 3, 2012
    gran juego online me gusto mucho entretenido y lo mejor de todo free, si bien la mecánica de shooter es bastante clásica pero con una variación de armas mas que considerable. graficamente es muy bien logrado, entornos ricos y bien detallados, los sonidos esta bastante bien.. en resumen un juego recomendado para aquellos que quieran pasar un rato jugando online grafis..
  26. May 4, 2012
    Undoubtly the best f2p shooter on pc! Fast speed, highly competitive. You should have a try if u are a fps fans.
    Although some weapons and abilities require tons of exp or bucks if u want, but IMO, pay about twenty bucks for such a awesome game is ok for me. GOGOGO!
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    This game is NOT pay2win, every weapon is a side-grade item to one another. Maybe some weapons are better in some situations, but definitely not overall superior (minus maybe 1 or 2). I have spent over 500+ hours playing this game both in pubs and competitively, and put about $50 dollars into it so far. Needless to say, I am extremely impressed by this game as a former UT/Quake player. If you were ever a fan of UT/Quake/Tribes1/2, or are bored of CoD/BF3, as you should be, then you need to play this game right now. Expand
  28. Apr 12, 2012
    Holy jesus this game is fun. Played on release for 4 hours straight and still going as I type this review. What more do I need to say? Play it and get addicted.
  29. Apr 12, 2012
    Well i've been playing (by playing i mean hooked on) this since november, and this game is amazing. Most people who read this have never played a tribes game, so listen: forget everything you know about shooters. Forget your piece of **** tacticool "reality simulator" (bloody screen SO REAL) shooters. Forget walking, crouching and going prone. Walking is what gets you killed and the only people who go prone are dead guys. This game is about speed, jetpacking and sliding downhill with speeds exceeding 300km/h while shooting projectile and ballistic weapons at enemies going at comparable speeds. It's completely insane and the best shooter on the market today. Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2012
    With nearly 400 games in my Steam library, it takes a very good game to pull me away. Minecraft did it, but now even that has been left on the sidelines by Hi-Rez's new game, Tribes: Ascend. It's unique combat system where movement and prediction become more important than regular aiming, this is a game that has got me playing every night, with a growing interest the more I play. Go try it, it's FREE! Collapse
  31. Apr 12, 2012
    Tribes Ascend brings me way back to the old days when unreal tournament and quake ruled all FPS gamers and games like Tribes found a niche among great shooters because of the twitchy, skill-based gameplay that found it's balance based more on your individual skill level and time played over equipment and guns used. The games classes are well balanced moving from high flying pathfinders to slower & armed to the teeth Brutes... and a several in between. the fact that this gangs is free to play is amazing... and contrary to popular pay to win models, in this Tribes Ascend there is NEVER a point when you hit a ceiling unless you throw down some cash, you can merely speed up the progression process by spending a little. Very very fun game, definitely keeping me occupied in my free time! 10! Expand
  32. Oct 24, 2012
    Having played Tribes Ascend for 50+ hours now, i can honestly say that this game is, second to Unreal Tournament Classic, THE best FPS Multiplayer ever concieved.. and its f2p.. but boy how i do not care giving the Hi-Rez Studios all of my money. If you have some time, and wish to learn a truly skillful teamplayer FPS, try it!
  33. Apr 23, 2012
    AWSOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! You must play this game it is so fun. Really fast passed shooter if you don't like fast pace games then don't play this game. I dont want you comments if you have anything bad to say about it because also its still in beta.
  34. Apr 18, 2012
    This FPS is really amazing, Hi-Rez Studios do an amazing job, Tribes: Ascend is incredible, the graphics are awesome, the gameplay incredible. This game is fantastic.
  35. Apr 12, 2012
    Fast frenetic fun, a breath of fresh air after so many year of Call Of Plod: Modern Walking. Nothing can describe the sheer joy of speed or the sudden nausea that comes when you hit something and lose it. The game really harkens back to the great fast-paced and skilful shooters of the late 90's.

HiRez should also be commended on doing Free2Play right and continuing to engage with the
    community to help improve the game. Expand
  36. Jun 28, 2012
    This Free-to-play FPS is one of the best games I have ever played. even in comparison to full price games. It matches all those full-priced games in terms of game play, graphics and best of all it's not pay to win. All weapons can be purchased with in-game XP
  37. Apr 12, 2012
    Fantastic game, free to play but not pay to win.

Nine unique classes, lots of maps and a bunch of game modes including the the classic capture the flag.

Great community support and developers who care

Got to go fast....
  38. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! Best free to player shooter I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful, and the gameplay is mind bendingly fast, furious and fun. Just remember: You gotta go fast!!
  39. Apr 12, 2012
    The Tribes Ascend is a good game that makes me feel the fun times. I love to go so so fast, not llama fat E-grab. I also like that game is free and I do not have to pay to learn playing the game!
  40. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is definitely a break from every other shooter out there, requiring a lot of skill, teamwork and speed. Great game, and I hope to see more from this developer in the future.
  41. Apr 12, 2012

I've played Tribes: Ascend since early closed beta, and I've been flying high and skiing fast while getting some of the most satisfying kill shots I've ever experienced in a game. The weapons are unique and
    make for very fun game play. I enjoy the game now and look forward to where it's going.

If you "gotta go fast" in a skill-based F2P title, you gotta play Tribes: Ascend.
  42. Apr 12, 2012
    Awesome game! True to the original and so much fun! Really gorgeous graphics and a fast pace. Love it! And it's free to play. Go play it now, people! :)
  43. Apr 12, 2012
    I started playing Tribes: Ascend during closed Beta, and it was good then, but I've watched as the game continued to get more polished, faster, and better. It's a challenging twitchy shooter that takes place at incredibly high speeds, but in today's pansy FPS market, this is the one game that really stands out as something different from the incredibly stale CoD/BF clones that get cranked out year after year. The challenge feeds my desire to keep playing and getting better, and like a great roller coaster, the high speed keeps me coming back for more. Highly addictive and well put together. The company (Hi-Rez Studios) also seems really laid back and good at listening to the community. I have high hopes for Tribes as it re-enters the gaming world with Ascend. Expand
  44. Apr 12, 2012
    Not a big fan of FPS games. I tried out the beta on a friend's recommendation. Definitely felt different from the others I'd played, in a good way. I had a lot of fun with it. I don't know how the hard-cores will view it, but if you don't live and breathe COD, you may be pleasantly surprised.
  45. Apr 22, 2012
    I just wanted to note that its great to see this game revived and to see the responce of a younger generation that may not have known what Tribes even was. Ive played Tribes since the origional. Tribes 2 was by far the best one since this one. This game however brings it all back full circle. Finally i can relive my childhood again! And finally we have a game out there that is worthy of being called a FPS. I only hope that it opens peoples eyes to how skillful a FPS can be. Great game. If you havent tried this yet you owe it to yourself to give it a shot...This was teh game that spawned alot of the inspiration for the FPS games your see today. Expand
  46. Apr 14, 2012
    First proper skill based shooter in years. Delivers exactly what it promises: fast paced awesomeness and that in a free-to-play model. Amazing graphics, amazing gameplay, amazing fun. I'm hooked!
  47. Apr 12, 2012
    Perfect revival of a legendary game. This game is tightly designed around speed and fun and I couldn't have dreamed of a better version of the game (actually thought it might suck like the previous version but it's actually super awesome). Wait, why am I wasting time writing this review? Gotta go fast!
  48. Apr 12, 2012
    Words cannot describe how happy I am to have fun competitive games again. Shazbot 4 life! Fast, great gunplay, and tons of customization for your class (if you're into that).
  49. Apr 12, 2012
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with the price of this game. Even on the completely free model, you can get plenty of enjoyment as the basic kits are fairly viable. Veteran players typically will rip new players apart, however, as the game's pace allows for skilled players to really shine. Beyond the free mode in this game, you can still get plenty of enjoyment for even the cheapest purchases.
  50. Apr 17, 2012
    I am so very happy with this game. The fact that it's free to play, with no real loss in gameplay if you pay nothing, makes it one of the best free to play models I've seen. I'm so happy with the game, actually, that I'm worried that if enough people don't pay anything, that maybe the game's future will be hurt, but I can't imagine that being the case. This game is truly an example of a game that's worth spending some money on, if not to give yourself a little boost, then to support something that is very well made, and fun to play. It's not exactly like Tribes 1, or Tribes 2, and believe me when I say, I played a LOT of Tribes 1 back in the day. It was my most played game back when it was out. It was the reason I'd spend money buying a new video card(wasn't just Nvidia vs ATI/AMD back in those days), so the game would look and play even better. Tribes 1 is one of the greatest games I'd ever played, and while I'm not sure exactly how this one stacks up against the old game, I can definitely say it's faithful to the series. It's different enough to be able to stand on it's own in comparison to Tribes 1, and with some future tweaks, could very well surpass it. I'm confident Hi-Rez will continue to tweak this game for the better, and should some popular Mod servers come about, with mods like Shifter, or any of the Mods that were like that style of gameplay, including some additional weapon slots for classes, and the old glory days of Tribes 1 will be back.
    The game still needs some more optimizing, including more advanced graphics controls, rather than requiring .ini tweaks, and better keybinding, but I can't really hold them against the game when it JUST came out of beta, and they've been updating it so much, that I could see where that would be regarded as a lesser issue that'll be taken care of in time. Therefore, I can't take a point off, and that's pretty much the only thing that'd drop this down to a 9. I'm actually giving this a 10. If you can make a game that reminds me fondly of one of the previous 10s in my gaming history, then you sir, get a 10 as well. A new System Shock that was as good or better than System Shock 2 would be another game that'd get a 10 out of me.
  51. Apr 12, 2012
    Tribes Ascend really has ascended above the Run and Gun copycats currently being played to death. Combining skiing and jetpacking has lead to a full all-axis fighting experience that only the previous tribes iterations have come close to duplicating.

You do require a beefy computer to run, but if you do you'll be treated to a beautiful game, if you don't then you're really going to
    struggle as the game demands fluidity in all areas.

Stick with it through the tough learning curve and if you can, spend some $ to get some extra loadouts.
  52. Apr 13, 2012
    LOVE this game. Such a brilliant departure from the stale FPS format!

I used to play heaps of COD and CS but after years of play I got really bored with it and eventually gave up on playing multiplayer FPS online. As soon as this arrived in closed beta I was all over it and haven't been able to get enough! Highly recommended!
  53. Apr 13, 2012
    This game is completely blowing away all of the CoD copies. I am tribes vet, playing every game in the series (except for the console spinoff) and I have to say this game did not let me down. I have been playing the game since closed beta, with every patch the game gets better and better. Classes are very balanced, the maps dont get old (i want more though lol!), the prices are reasonable, and best of all, its FREE. This and TF2 are the two best F2P games on the market. I'd reccomend any PC gamer to check this game out, the skiing never gets old, even if you're not good at aiming ,you can get good at skiing and cap flags lol. Expand
  54. Apr 13, 2012
    I have been playing Tribes Ascend for a while now, since the earliest days of closed beta, and I have been very pleased with the game so far, and I am happy to note that the game will continue to be developed, with more content added. This includes, but is not limited to: private servers and server flags, more weapons, more packs, more perks, vanity skins, voice packs (supposedly), and other such delights. This game is a breath of fresh air from the cookie cutter games we've all been enduring these past years. The pace is well set and fun, and I don't find myself ever getting bored or angry with this game. I've been playing on a competetive level, working on the gameshrine ladder at the moment, and can say that the balance for high level competetive play is well done and rounded. Look up tribescast.com to watch some of the competetive matches, some of them are pretty exciting. Everybody i've gotten to try the game, including some who were not very keen on the idea of a game that wasn't what they were used to, has become enthralled with the game and continue to play and become tribal addicts.
    The past iterations of tribes are preserved well, but it's not the same game, and I mean that in a good way. There was a stale quality about the older tribes that kept people from playing it, even though it's still available there are few players who still frequent the servers. The game is brought to levels that modernize the franchise without compromising it's integrity, and I think HR has done a great job in recreating the series.
    Some people may be wary of free to play games, but this is one game that will benefit greatly from the format. For one thing, there will be no real shortage of players on the servers, I rarely can find a server that is anything less than 3/4 full on the east coast servers, and I'm often gaming from 2am to 6am. The f2p model also allows for monetary support for the aforementioned continued development of the game. Some may have concerns about unlockable classes and weapons, but for the most part (80-90%), they are all sidegrades, and you are given the 3 most versatile classes in the game to begin with. If you don't want to pay any money to HR to play, you still get a great game, but 10 dollars or so will get you some unlocks or an xp boost and permanent vip status, boosting your xp permanently. Personally, I feel the game as is would be fair in the price range of 30 - 50 dollars, but that's just my perspective.
    I would suggest you try playing the game, and though it might take some getting used to at first, learn to ski, find a class that suits your playstyle, and enjoy the game. After all, what do you have to lose on a free game?
  55. May 7, 2012
    You would have to be dead not to enjoy this! Plus, it's free - so don't read any more reviews, just download it and make up your own mind :) I would say it will take you less than 10 minutes before you are totally addicted. I just can't express how much fun it is to be hurtling through the air, turning in mid-stream to lob a grenade at a guy that just flew past you, to have it blow up in his face. Seriously good fun, and I bought myself a gaming mouse just for this. I don't normally play FPS games, but this is the most fun I have had since Swingball when I was about 7 years old. Excellent, excellent game!! Expand
  56. Apr 14, 2012
    One of the best fps games Ive ever played. Its free to play, fast paced, requires precision aiming, teamwork and coordination, has a high skill cap and will be a great Esport but is still fun to play casually. >
  57. Apr 14, 2012
    I love this game! F2P. The game is officially out now and I would like to say that it is amazing. I would recommend get the game right away what are you waiting for! www.tribesascend.com
  58. Apr 15, 2012
    Stunning contribution to the Tribes series. The best FPS series of all times continues with a real gem. I'm non-stop playing this game and don't need any other shooter for the next 3 years.
  59. Apr 15, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a high-speed shooter in the vein of UT or Quake. T:A is a game that rewards player skill and teamwork. From the get-go it will be clear that the game does have a learning curve, and people further along it will experience more success in matches. From a technical standpoint, the game is well-optimized and has servers available on various regions including the oft-left out Oceanic region. Most of the maps are well designed and fun to play. There are tons of viable strategies for each. For me, the best maps are Crossfire, a small very fast map with two ships hovering above the landscape; Katabatic, a snowy map with giant peaks and Raindance, a remake of a classic map from the original Tribes. One rarely discussed characteristic of the game is its community. Tribes: Ascend has a healthy competitive scene and heaps of helpful players within its community. It is not uncommon for veteran players to put out tutorial content for newer players. Some of the more well-known players, like Blinks from Egocentric will often answer questions on his live streams. All fans of the first-person shooter genre owe it to themselves to give this a try. The game is free, and all content is unlockable through EXP with the exception of cosmetic skins. What there is to unlock can be considered sidegrades and unnecessary for player success. Expand
  60. Apr 16, 2012
    It's free-to-play, the model is pretty fair too, you can get anything with experience, but you would just get it faster if you pay, and the prices are very fair. This game is amazing though. I played it in all my free time this past weekend. It's the first true throwback to fast paced shooters of old in a loooong time. Everything from learning how to ski properly to timing your shots is immensely satisfying. I really think everyone should try it. Expand
  61. Apr 16, 2012
    This is the best FPS available. Learning curve/skill ceiling is quite a bit higher than other FPS's, but don't let that discourage you. Once you learn the ropes, you will become hooked. There isn't quite anything like performing an e-grab, while mid-airing the flag carrier and returning the flag at the same time, while skiing backwards while trying to dodge obstacles, while still carrying the flag, while the entire enemy team is chasing you, while shooting at them the entire time, while a shrike is chasing you and a doombringer's missle is heading your way. You just can't beat it. You will become addicted to the sound you hear when you mid-air someone. It's so satisfying. Kills in other games aren't nearly as rewarding. And the speed! Oh, the speed, THE SPEED! "Gotta go fast!" I've tried going back to some other games I played before T:A, like the CoD and BF series, and they are just entirely TOO SLOW and boring. I use to have fun in those games, now I do not. T:A has spoiled me rotten. Download this game! It's F2P, so there's nothing to lose! I can already tell I will be playing this game for years to come. https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1390752&utm_campaign=email

62. Apr 17, 2012
    This game is so much fun and fast paced, it's addictive as crack. This is absolutely the best FPS I've played in years, and is a groundbreaking achievement as to what free-to-play games can be.

After a long period of beta testing and tweaking, the official release is very balanced and polished. The menus and interface are super user friendly, and there isn't a game around that makes it
    easier to jump into the action.

I highly recommend you try this game, after all, it's free!
  63. Apr 18, 2012
    A cut above the 3 second sprint world of endless CoD/BF clones. Tribes: Ascend combines the best qualities of old school high speed shooters while including some of the features we've come to know and love such as awards, badges, and exp based progression into an exhilarating offering that defies its price of entry. The "Freemium" model is very much present but takes a page from Team Fortress 2 in that the only items that you cannot obtain by hard work and blowing up lots and lots of other players are purely cosmetic and unlocking and upgrading of items is permanent, not on a timers. The interface doesn't bombard you with pleas to spend more money constantly, its approach feels more grown up when compared to the almost frantic grabbing at your wallet may free to play games present. "Pay to Win" is almost completely absent as well as upgrades for classes and weapons are only purchasable with in game XP and not with micro transaction currency.

The game-play is incredibly fast and free flowing in most modes, rewarding quick reflexes and split second shot calculations over camping and ambushes. Map design is varied but tends to favor open rolling terrain with long lines of sight and lots of opportunities to make use of the games signature movement style, skiing. Skiing involves turning yourself into a human air-hockey puck, gliding gracefully a few inches above the ground a speeds that can exceed what you could legally do in your car. Hitting a target traveling at that speed or while traveling at that speed or while both you and the target are traveling at that speed is understandably difficult but when it happens the hit is far more satisfying than whole killing sprees are in other games. TDM, Capture and Hold, and Arena modes cater to those wanting a more simplistic experience while CTF offers a lot of strategic play and a good bit of meta-game to satisfy hardcore veterans of the shooter genre.
  64. Apr 23, 2012
    An awesome take-back to the glory days of Starseige Tribes, Hi-Rez did the series justice which it hasnt seen since the very first Tribes game. SHAZBOT!
  65. Apr 29, 2012
    It is true that the game is simpler than Tribes 2 and lacks lots of elements which made tribes series (besides Vengeance) so good. But it is still exciting and fresh. You don't have to spend a cent/penny/grosz because it's free.
  66. May 3, 2012
    This game is a AAA multiplayer experience for FREE. If you enjoy team shooters, you NEED to download this game. What really sets this game apart from other multiplayer shooters is how you get around. Everyone has the ability to "ski", meaning you glide along the ground with little control over which direction you go (basically, you go where gravity and momentum gide you). Everyone also has a jet pack which allows you to fly, though this has a limited amount of energy, before you have to land, and let it recharge. When you add these two things together, you can ski down a slope to build up speed, and use your jetpack to rocket up the next hill. Chain moves like these together, and you can build up incredible speed and soar incredible distances through the air. With about 8 classes to chose from (most which require unlocking), you can find a play style that works for you. Either fast and fragile, slow and hardy, or somewhere in between. I've been playing the game for about a week now, and am still loving it, and I haven't spent a dime. As far as I can tell, you can unlock everything just by playing the game and earning "XP" (though there are some unlocks which require tons of "XP" to unlock). I feel that there are some things that could be balanced a little better (for example, I feel the Technician class is really underpowered), but the price tag more than offsets that minor complaint. GET IT! Expand
  67. May 4, 2012
    great game they are one of the few that managed to nail the free to play model u can easy buy the weapon perks and armor u want just by playing the game and its fast paced like the first tribes and higly compeditive great game :D
  68. May 6, 2012
    Tribes Ascend is a breath of fresh air in an industry saturated with military shooters aimed only for maximizing profit yearly. I downloaded this game expecting to be turn off since I absolutely hate any form of low-gravity in games, but I was wrong. This game is a metric crap ton of fun and the fact that it's free only doubles its worth. I mean, where else can you find a free game with graphics that rival that of Crysis 2 (given that you have a solid rig and you maximize settings)? It's wonder how Hi-Rez is still around with all the high quality f2p games they're putting forth and they're not even pay2win. Even the most expensive weapons and items you can get in just a few days of playing, with that said there's really no crucial incentive to buy booster packs or gold as of now, but with the constant release of new content then that notion might change completely. It's a skill-based game for the most part; if you're not a PC-FPS veteran or just suck at FPS games in general, it will be almost impossible to get a good score in your first several games until you learn and perfect the ropes. That's probably the biggest drawback to this game, it's not noob-friendly 90% of the time. In the first few hours that I played I was constantly getting 3-4 K/D ratios (I'm a PC-FPS vet for the most part) and almost half the players in a 16v16 game can not get any kills in a 25 minute game. However, that changes once you start playing with people level 15 or higher, that's when the skill level drastically increases. Sometimes they release weapons that are overpowered, but Hi-Rez does listen to their fans and usually issue tweaks in a matter of weeks. My best advice for new players is to practice skiing/jetpacking to get your accelerations on point, change your mouse sensitivity to something more comfortable (the default is way to high), and change classes once in a while so you don't get bored, this also improves your overall skill at the game, and best of all, practice practice practice! Expand
  69. May 8, 2012
    I loved both Tribes 1 and 2 when they were out, so when I first heard about this release I was very interested (and the F2P aspect was just icing on the cake since I'm a cheapskate). I personally don't get a bunch of the complaints the negative reviewers have.

-One reviewer gives the game a super low score, but he's been playing since September? Really, if a game is that bad I'm not
    going to play it, free or not.

-Lots of the negative reviews complain about the weapon balance, with some complaints in particular about machine guns. I will agree that machine guns seem a bit better than they were in the old tribes, but its not like everyone is exclusively using them. The plasma gun *was* overpowered, but they fixed it very fast. I don't see complaints about any of the spinfusor variants, but lots of people use them (to good effect).

-One reviewer complained about it being hard to find people on the map. Unless you are going out of your way to avoid people, I've never seen that to be an issue.

-Another reviewer said CTF was impossible to defend. If the teams are very imbalanced (which happens fairly often unfortunately) this can happen, but I've seen a lot of very good flag defense. Another said chasing was impossible and not done, yet I see people chase the flag carriers (and kill them) all the time. The things I will agree that I don't like: -The screen vibration when you get shot *is* annoying and overdone. Imo it helps make the game less newbie friendly (which with its huge skill curve is NOT needed).
    -Orbital bombardments are dumb. It reminds me too much of the COD method of "hey lets give a bonus to someone who is already doing extremely well!" The tactical strikes are fine.
    -Stacking is an issue sometimes. I'm not sure how to easily fix this, but it can make for annoying 5-0 speed matches.
    -The generator seems to be annoying to keep up sometimes. Maybe my memory is faulty but I didn't remember it being as much of a hassle to defend in the first two Tribes.
    -Some of the unlocks are pretty expensive (game XP and real money wise), but you're better off sticking with a limited number of classes anyway to build up your skill.
  70. May 15, 2012
    So forgive me if Im wrong here but isnt this supposed to be a game where guns matter? I can't figure out whether or not Im being trolled when I log into the screen and see the white dot. Ive contacted support and spent hours on the phone with them, I taked to a really cute girl on there who's name I will keep anonymous because she asked me to. I just want to say thanks for the support and thanks for the advice you gave me, it gave me the courage to keep going and I will forever be greatful for that. I want to add that the secret to being really good at this game comes with time and patience. I have mastered all of the different aspects and areas that anyone with a similar level of education can appreciate. Its not the little things that count when trying to excell at this game that matter but the continuous effort you put into abusing what is wrong with the system and taking advantage of what needs to be taken advantage of. I am not the average PC Gamer with a basic understanding of CMOS, I come from a long line and generation of individuals who share the same values that I do and strive to keep those values in line with what the creators of this game intended those playing it to achieve. A lot of people will read this review and be confused but that's normal when you haven't been to the places I've been and seen the people I've seen. This game really is just like a purple neckless that dangles from the wrist of an overbearing giant you'd commonly see on a planet rotating near two closest binary stars are to our solar system. Once you see the neckless and focus in on it you forget about all the soft and squishy heartwarming feelings you once thought were important. It's just like that time when you were eight years old and the world was so bright and the future was so far in the past that you forgot about why you were playing in the street without any shoes. Scooping up tar with your mothers silverware and shooting your neighbor with a bee-bee gun are all things of the past. Regardless of whether or not you have the notion to recollect and discover all the infinite possibilities this game can offer you there is one thing for sure; and that is that you have wasted a serious amount of time by reading this review. thumbs up please, if you desire the same things that I desire. Its not everyday that a german speaking CEO gets to work in the limelight of other popular titles that overshadow the really important ones. Money talks, and if you want to make a change that will have any kind of everlasting impact on the way that people take for granted the things you and I hold so dear to our hearts you should know that these types of opportunites don't come that often. A lot of people have spent hard earned money to enjoy false shadows cast on the wall, accepting these images given to us by false teachers to be "Real" images. We are all shackled to a dungeon wall deep inside of a cave looking at shadows cast onto a wall infront of us by a fire. This false light and the years we have spent believing in what society tells us is "important" and "real" is nothing more than the shallow desires that will bring an end to this tiny bit of sand spinning in the Multiverse. If you stepped out of this cave and travelled up the winding path to the outside world you would be blinded by the sun. The brightness would overpower you at first, but soon you would want the glory of the sun for others so they too could see what real light was. Imagine yourself returning to that dark cave and trying to explain to the others what you had seen and what they were missing out on. They would be angry with you and want to kill you. You are that person tied to wall, the sooner you accept this the sooner you can change. There is "Truth" out there, there is more to this world than Money and Possessions. Stop being materialistic, stop thinking that the pretty pictures you see of individuals are the way you should be. We are an MTV generation raised up to believe that one day we would all become rockstars and movie gods, well the sad truth is that this won't happen. Advance your goals, make time for your family and those who you care about. We need to rally together as a world and realize that space exploration and energy conservation are more important than fighting these useless wars over Oil and Power. If we don't make changes to the way we live as humanity, and start taking care of this little bit of sand we call Earth, we just might destroy it. My message will go unheard because I'm making it on a review of a game that I downloaded and played, but that doesn't make my message any less true. If you imagine the distance of the Earth to the sun, which is 93 million miles away being compressed to the width of a piece of paper. The nearest galaxy to us would be a stack of papers 73 miles tall. We are nothing, this tiny bit of sand spinning in a forever expanding multiverse is all we have. Expand
  71. Aug 12, 2012
    Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how Free 2 Play should be done! Tribes Ascend has such a fine tuned and well crafted experience that it is a real treat to play, and is quite addictive. This isn't anything new with a lot of Free 2 Play games, a lot of them are addictive and a treat to play INITIALLY. That's what the model is about, its designed to sucker you in to pay. However, Tribes Ascend does not do that. The game doesn't force a brick wall on you to prevent advancement without constant grinding or your credit card. It certainly does take a lot longer to advance in this game without paying than with, but paying doesn't really give you a quantifiable advantage. What paying does is it will give you quick access to some great classes, weapons, and gear that can be very helpful, but does not make you play better. This game still requires skill and dedication over anything else to master. The game is 100% playable without paying a cent. Every thing in the game that is unlockable can be done with the experience points, you dont have to buy the gold for ANYTHING. However, because of how good the game is, the sheer quality of the gameplay, graphics, controls, and variety of content, you will still want to pay for some gold (if you can afford it), not necessarily to level up faster, but because you just ended up playing a game that's so damn good, it would morally feel like piracy if you didn't pay. Now THAT'S how to do a Free 2 Play game! Expand
  72. Jul 3, 2012
    Refreshing game, non stop action, literally non stop. I can't cant how many times I've lifted my hand off the mouse for no more then 2-3 seconds and got killed. This game is easily a 10 because it is so damn fun, though I wish they would add more vehicles now that some maps are getting bigger.
  73. May 19, 2012
    Wonderfully fun and free game. Just skiing is fun in it self. The only negative thing I can say is that after playing all of the classes the juggernaut seems far and away op. I may just not know how to play the others though.
  74. May 17, 2012
    A very creative and multifaceted take on the FPS. I recommend it to anyone who has grown tired of the genre. It is free after all, so you don't have much to lose...
  75. X19
    May 22, 2012
    It's free, it's fun, it's not pay 2 win, and it's not a ripoff of Call of Duty or Battlefield. What more could you ask of a modern day multiplayer FPS? Graphics- All is good in this department. Stands up as the best looking F2P game along with Blacklight. Gameplay- Tribes has always had this unique fast paced gameplay of sliding and gliding. This concept is original to only the Tribes series which is always a win in my book. Capturing a flag is one of the most exhilarating experiences you will ever take part in. Imagine a high speed chase and you'll get the idea. That said, Tribes game mode of choice is capture the flag. Design- Tribes is elagent in this department. Purchasing new equipment and upgrades is easy to do and not a hassle. Navigating the menus is a breeze. Expand
  76. May 26, 2012
    I cannot understand why any person, who has played shooters in their life, can pass this game up. First off, it's free, and it being free, automatically can turn a gamer off as it being "lesser quality". Well let me just say CoD is infinitely lesser quality of a shooter than Tribes when it comes to any type of creativity, and that game is $60. I mention CoD, because apparently that is the top shooter of all time. Tribes requires actual FPS skills, not aiming down sites, hiding behind cover, running around knifing people. Leading targets, pass by kills based on speed, honestly these things bring back the classic shooters which actually required practice to get right. And you don't need to spend $60 to get it right. Expand
  77. Jul 2, 2012
    Where to start? This is probably one of the best F2P since TF2 (Even better than TF2 in my opinion). Very fast action, lots and lots of customization, and lots of free updates containing new maps and weapons! For the people who complain about weapon balance, of course there is going to be some OP weapons after new weapons are introduced. But the great thing about it is that Hi-Rez listens to player complaints and do what they can to fix. OP weapons only have their reign for 3-7 ish days. Then boom it's fixed. Also, a major complaint was the high cost of weapons. Quite recently, those prices have dropped! Now, of course there's free currency and "premium" currency. What's great about Tribes though is that absolutely everything that effects gameplay can be unlocked for free! Gold (the payed currency) is only used for custom skins, double XP boosts, and unlocking stuff early. Now about gameplay, this really is about the fastest game you will play anytime soon. Also, another unique feature is that (with most weapons) you have to think about your shots. For example, a rocket-launcher called the Spinfusor has to be shot where you think the other player is going to be in about 1 or 2 seconds. Otherwise, you are about to be blasted from the field.
    I definitely recommend this game to all players of Shooters. Once you start playing it, you'll forget it's free!
  78. Jun 2, 2012
    The best FPS in a very long time. I do wish that all weapons were unlocked from the beginning to give everyone equal footing, but I understand Hi-Rez needs to make money. Fortunately, I found the starter weapons to be just as effective as the later unlocks. The only thing I miss is the ability to make custom mods for the game...

Overall though a must play! Though a warning, this game does
    take a significant amount of skill. The ranking system does do a lot to segregate the better players from the noobs, but once you get up to rank 8 or so, the skill of players improves dramatically. If you are feeling overwhelmed though, you can always repair the base :). Expand
  79. Jun 18, 2012
    Guys seriously the best game ever...I was tired of running around on the ground in typical shooters. Everything was just feeling too slow. Weapons all felt the same from game to game with nothing really standing out. I've played Tribes: Ascend since eI was tired of running around on the ground in typical shooters. Everything was just feeling too slow. Weapons all felt the same from game to game with nothing really standing out. I've played Tribes: Ascend since e Expand
  80. Jun 18, 2012
    First off, tribes is without a doubt the most fun shooter game I've ever played.
    I've played competitive cs 1.6 for 6 years mainly due to the lack of skill required in other shooter games... until I found tribes ascend. This is a completely different type of shooter than cs or cod, but it's extremely addicting. Once you hit your first blue plate shot from miles away you'll know why so
    many people love tribes. Back in the day I used to get excited if I landed a nasty 1shot on someone from across the map... That excitement has been lost for years now. Tribes has revived that child-like excitement over a single kill, which you don't find often in shooters today.

After playing tribes for just a few hours, I was literally trying to find something I didn't like about the game.
    I still haven't found a single negative thing about this game. This new dev team has my respect and loyalty. They don't just listen to the community, they put in the work to polish the game beyond all expectations.
  81. Jul 27, 2012
    One of the greatest FPS's to ever hit game scene. I have thousand of hours played in this and probably never gonna stop, got everything already unlocked and my most favorite gear Is soldier with spinfusor, pistol and short fuse grenade. Stuff you can get pretty much for free or is part of starter pack, so no there can't even be talk of Pay2Win. My 4:1 KDR says so.
  82. Jun 23, 2012
    Tribes Ascend is a rare type of game and the best free to play FPS since TF2. Flying and skiing over 200 mp/h with firepower beyond this world it gives you a great sensation of speed and power. The learning curve is not easy one and all classes play differently so you have to learn every class bottom up, this take time, but every unlock gives you a feeling of accomplishment unlike most games. This game is too good to be true, free, skillful, good looking, great maps and awesome weapons. Just get it. Expand
  83. Jun 30, 2012
    Fans of the first wave of fps shooters featuring deathmatch (say Quake arena/Unreal) will love this. Fast paced (I mean faaast) plenty of classes and customizations, and free to play.And If you decide to go next level and spend some in the in-game shop, Hi-Rez really deserves your money, for this very well done and well refined retake on a classic title. It is also been fun to take part to the beta testing. Expand
  84. Jul 5, 2012
    Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot Shazbot
  85. Jul 19, 2012
    One of the best shooters i' ve played in the last years. Very fast with great weapons and ah fair balance between the classes. And you earn enough XP during the game to get your favourite weapons instead of buying them.
  86. Jul 28, 2012
    This game is tightly designed around speed and fun and I couldn't have dreamed of a better version of the game (actually thought it might suck like the previous version but it's actually super awesome). Wait, why am I wasting time writing this review? Gotta go fast!Fantastic game, free to play but not pay to win
  87. Jul 28, 2012
    Its a fun game. Many complain about the free to play mechanic, but unlike many others, you dont HAVE to buy ingame purchases to be good at it, you can unlock everything by simply PLAYING THE GAME ITSELF. If you do want to buy anything, its the Steam Starter Pack. It gives you everything you need to well, begin, and even if you didnt buy this, there are promotions to get you gold for free. I myself did buy the Starter Pack on sale and it did give me a good start, but in all reality if i played for about a week i could have gotten all of the items in the pack, besides the gold of course. It is high in quality, even though the only problem i may have is there should be just a tiny bit more terrain details, very few maps have endless hills, but id rather have that than flatlands. If you think a weapon is going to come out you want? Save up XP! Dont bother listening to those who hate because of the F2P mechanic, ignore that and have fun. Expand
  88. Aug 3, 2012
    Fast, Frantic, Tactical, and downright brutal at times. This game brought me back into FPS games after a 2 year hiatus. after trying tribes i went to try the current FPS heavy hitters, CoD, Battlefield 3. I even tried the F2P competitors, Blacklight retribution, Combat Arms, etc. No other FPS I've played since the original tribes games holds a candle to this. And no other franchise in FPS history has ever kept my attention, and kept me going like tribes has. SHAZBOT FOREVER! Expand
  89. TSB
    Feb 6, 2014
    I'm writing this fast review after playing the game more than 200 hours . + Competitve game you can easily tell the difference between good and noob player . + fast / smooth and balanced gameplay specially the fly and Ski. + more than 8 class . + very good map designing . + require highly team work . + very good voice chat command . + dedicated servers . + almost no lucky kills in the game you better be good or die .
    + no camping behind doors or corners or cheap kills you will have to go out and face your opponent .
    - only 3 active game modes .

My personal rating

9.5/10

The best MultiPlayer Game of the generation .
  90. Sep 7, 2012
    Tribes is fun, fast paced and free. What more can you ask for. The movement mechanics free up the need to have free run, jump or sprint in place for that shooter lone wolf chase feel. The guns i'll admit are in need of some battlefield beefiness but are more than made up for by the visuals and the effects of the guns. Overall Tribes: Ascend is what halo or COD never were and will hold its own in the game community for years to come. Expand
  91. Oct 4, 2012
    This game is hands down the best Free2Play game currently available (and it will stay that way until Survarium comes out, look it up!). There is no way I could give it less than 10- everything about it is superb. The gameplay style is unique and thrilling. No more hours wasted slogging across large maps by foot- fly across them at speeds in excess of 250 km/h! Now, imagine trying to shoot someone as they fly by you at that same speed and you can begin to comprehend how amazing this game really is. There is something for everyone here: straight up 5 on 5 deathmatches, huge 16 vs 16 deathmatches, on man army style fights, capture and hold style gameplay, and of course it's most in depth and well done mode, capture the flag. In capture the flag, there is a huge variety of roles to be played. A flag defender (typically Doombringer) will stand on the flag and has to be knocked off before the flag can be captured- they can also lay down mines and force fields to prevent capture as well. However, their forcefields won't work without the help of generator defenders (typically Technician), who have to set up shop in their teams generator room and protect it. If the generator goes down, so does the whole defense system- turrets, forcefields, radar sensors, vehicle stations, and more. But a good defense is nothing without a good offense, and thus the most integral role of flag cappers (typically Pathfinders) comes into play. Perhaps the most difficult task, they have to make their way through the enemy defenses and escape with the flag. But then the hard part comes of escaping your numerous pursuers- the flag hunters (also typically Pathfinders), whose job is to chase after anyone who manages to steal the flag and retrieve it. However, the flag capper will never get the flag from the flag defenders without the help of the two other roles. The generator attacker role (typically Infiltrators and Raiders) are specially equipped to sneak past enemy defenses and destroy the enemy generator. However this task is one of the most difficult as the generators are often in enclosed spaces and have a lot of health. Should they fail in their task, it remains up to the defense harassers (typically Sentinel and Juggernaut) to soften up enemy defenses around the actually flag itself to allow the flag capper access. This is just one example of the huge amount of team play, tactics, and depth that make this game so good. With just one of those roles not being properly filled, your team's entire strategy can collapse, and there are a lot of roles so each player needs to be contributing in order to win. The games other features are too countless to name them all, but a important one to mention is the huge amount of character customization, including armor, voice packs, skins, weapons, perks, packs, deployables, thrown weapons, and more. You make your character unique and you play it how you want to. I will lastly mention the best part of the game. Quite simply, this is a Free2Play game done right. Every single game-changing item can be obtained without paying a cent. Some of the weapons have quite a grind and can take a week or two to get, but if you want variety fast, there are a bunch of arguably better weapons you can earn in just a day or two. You can have a ton of fun without pulling out your wallet. If you choose to put money into the game, though, the advantages are great. You can get custom skins, voice packs, and of course that weapon you always wanted. Not only that, but every day a new item goes on sale that you can get for anywhere between 25% and 75% off, so if you want to wait and only buy when what you want goes on sale, you can easily get double the value of whatever you paid. In addition, your account becomes VIP as soon as you spend any amount of money on the game (anywhere from 10-50 USD). VIP status gives you +50% exp permanently, so for just a little money you can get a whole lot of value. If you want to get a very high quality game completely free, this is the game for you. If you want to get that same game, but don't mind shelling out a few bucks to make it even awesomer, this is still the game for you. Download this game as soon as you finish reading this, if you haven't already. What are you waiting for? Expand
  92. Dec 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the best free-to-play shooter ever made, and best multiplayer FPS of 2012 This game is really something really unique after the endless semi-realistic modern military shooters. Expand
  93. Jan 8, 2013
    This is the coolest game in the world. Everything you do boils down to skill and skill alone, and even if you suck at the game, you can still have tons of fun. The game is incredibly well designed, even to the tiny things. All in all, if you don't like this game, you should go back to playing Halo 3 or whatever it is your get spoonfed for breakfast.
  94. Apr 3, 2013
    I was a big fan of the original franchise and played it a lot. This version is super hardcore, but extremely well done. Hi-Rez deserves a lot of credit in this remake.
  95. Jul 13, 2013
    Really hard and frustrating at first, even previous FPS experience doesn't help much. Once you get the gist of it though, it becomes the best shooter ever.
  96. Jul 19, 2013
    BEST Shooter ever.
    A revolutionary game mechanic. It makes so damn much fun. And: I't IS skill based and NOT Pay to Win. But it's really sad that Hi-Rez abadons Tribes: Ascend. They just said, the community shall do the rest and look for the game. :-/
    And the community is not big.
  97. Apr 1, 2014
    This is one of my favorite shooters to date because it is free to play on Steam. It also has a futuristic setting attached to it and really adds the 'fantasy' spectrum to it unlike FPS Military shooters which means all rules are thrown out.

I think the coolest thing about this game is the jetpack/skiing abilities. When you get really good, the action gets really fast paced and that is
    what I like in games because I really can't stand intro movies and to much talking because movies are for old people/crackers.

Why I am giving this game a ten is because it is free to play and the graphics are great as well and you have the option of buying upgrades to make your game play more dynamic. Adding to that statement though, you can also earn the same things you are able to buy so essentially if you play enough, you have a free game that has great graphics, fluid gameplay, and a really great game play overall. That's why this game is great if you are just a casual gamer because you don't need all the 'special stuff' to have fun. But since it's free, it could turn you into a gamer because you might start getting happy about your progression and it will turn you on to video games.

Because video games make you smarter. #crackers #FWhitey
  98. Apr 26, 2012
    Very fun game for free. Simple as that. Yes they release op new content that unbalances the game. The new raider gun is nuts op. But it's still a very fun game for free. You can choose to buy stuff, or you can unlock it with xp. It will take a very long time with xp, but you can do it. The most expensive weapons are 100k xp. You get probably an average of 500xp per match if you performed decently.
  99. Jun 2, 2012
    I think this game most accurately is a reboot of Tribes: Annihilation, which was the definitive base game community on T1. Great new visuals and a design team that constantly improves maps the players deem 'untribesworthy'. Anyone complaining of the weapon balance is silly, this game has so many variables it's really more of a 'rock paper scissors' and everyone has a weakness. You'll find the best ways to use every weapon. 350 hours and counting, the distance shots only get more gratifying, do yourself a huge favor and try the fastest most beautiful shooter on the market in 2012. And it's f2p, but not pay-2-win. Seek therapy when you start seeing routes to ski among large mountains in your vicinity, or worse, holding the CTRL button on a keyboard that doesn't exist. Expand
  100. May 29, 2012
    Best multiplayer FPS in years gameplay wise. More balanced than prevous tribes with a lot less focus on vehicles. But also lacks some of it's features which does let it down a bit and the maps are a lot smaller as well. Also no 3rd party modding was what kept the old tribes alive, it doesn't have that either.
  101. Apr 30, 2012

1. Aug 31, 2012
    Contrary to the classic gameplay of an FPS that requires constant cover, slow advances, crouching and prone positioning, the battles of Ascend happen on the ground, as well as in the air and in tremendous speeds- thus changing drastically the classic tactical approaches of the genre. It's a breath of fresh air in the online FPS world. [September 2012]
    Arcade online shooter surprises with fresh and fast paced playability and is a very good alternative to paid services with its free-to-play model. [Issue#220]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Tribes: Ascend is a worthy successor to its forebears, bringing the same inimitable, hectic play style married to graphics that will stretch even the most capable machine.