Trine PC

8.2

1. Aug 21, 2011
    Really innovative, beautiful, and hearty game to play! I was hooked on it until the end - which in my opinion came a little too fast (not that the game is short, but it is not long either: was done in 7-9 hours). The gameplay is really addictive; the thought-through puzzles, physx engine, and pretty colors make this an awesome sidescroller :)
  2. Apr 8, 2012
    At first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in oneAt first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in one go with the option to swap between them during the game as each one is useful for different situations. You have a Thief who wields a bow to destroy enemies from a distance and also has a grappling hook for climbing purposes. You have a Wizard who can levitate various objects and also to create new ones and to drop them on enemies. And you also have a Knight who is the most action-oriented of the three and is mostly for the moments when you're swarmed by groups of enemies and need to go melee style. As a result of being able to control any of the three characters at any time, the gameplay has a lot of spice and variety to it. It never gets repetitive. Although you do encounter a lot of enemies throughout, the game is also filled with a huge variety of different puzzles and obstacles which you need to overcome by using the skills your characters possess. A lot of the time there are even multiple ways to solve a certain puzzle. Like you could build a bridge with a Wizard character, or you might wish to instead use the Thief and her grappling hook to swing across. A single playthrough only lasts about 5 or so hours in total, but those 5 hours are really great as you get to enjoy the visual, auditory, and intellectual beauty of the game, not to mention that the replayability is good too, so you're likely to come back to the game a lot. Expand
  3. Jun 24, 2015
    A TERRIFIC MASTERPIECE!
    A TERRIFIC MASTERPIECE!
    This is truly the best 2D platformer I have ever played! With fantastic visuals, nice storytelling, music that makes you feel that you are in your dream fantasy world and fantastic narrator. This game is currently on sale for only 0.79 EUR (price from 1/3/2014) and the Trine Complete Collection (which includes Trine and Trine 2: Complete Story) for only 3.24 EUR (price from 1/3/2014). This is a true masterpiece, if you want to follow the story, I recommend Trine then Trine 2, if you want to play the prettiest, play Trine 2
  4. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a great game overall, it's so innovative how the puzzles make use of each of your characters abilities to solve it. It has a great platforming but a repetitive combat which tends to annoy when you are deeply immersed. The story is also pretty good and the environments following the story look absolutely amazing. This is overall a great game and you should really buy it.
  5. Jul 5, 2011
    Amazing platform/action/adventure game. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is both complex enough to be engaging but simple enough to master.
  6. Jan 3, 2013
    Trine is a good example of what happens when developers set out on a quest to make the greatest game ever. Interactive physics puzzles, useful and fun characters combined with breathtaking visuals so awesome it's magical, make this game worthy of passing on to your grandkids.
  7. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise of this game is similar to that of SNES game The Lost Vikings. You switch between three distinct characters and use their unique abilities to navigate through puzzle-filled action-platformer levels. Trine really kicks it up a notch though, with realistic physics interaction and gorgeous, fluid visuals. Although your character only moves along the 2D plane, there's a lot of stuff going on in the background. Huge blades will swing from the background, past your player and into the foreground, before slicing back again. It's a really special touch that is testimony to the level of visual detail in Trine. There's a huge amount of colour in the environments, which are extremely distinct from one another but all look beautiful. Characters move well for the most part, which is handy seeing as most of the puzzles involve jumping around on tiny platforms. Trine includes some light RPG elements; you can collect experience that allows you to upgrade your abilities when you level up. You can also find lots of unique items throughout the game, some of which are tailored for certain characters. Speaking of the characters; you'll definitely be using all of them. All three characters can solve most of the puzzles in the game, but you'll quickly learn which to use in certain situations. Because you shift between the three characters/classes so often, the RPG elements really come into play, and you'll want to spread out your items fairly evenly. Combat is fun, if a little repetitive, with enemies such as sword, bow and fire-wielding skeletons, ferocious ogres and smaller creatures like bats and spiders. Obviously the knight is the best character in close quarter combat situations, with his strong sword and hammer attacks and the ability to block.
    The dialogue is pretty funny at times, especially thanks to the great voice acting. It makes you care for the characters a little more than if they had generic, similar voices. All in all Trine is a great game, taking about seven hours to finish and with a stack of replay value. Pick it up on Steam for $15 and you won't have many regrets.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great platormer gameplay. the graphics are pretty good for a side scroller and i dont know of many games like it for the pc. maybe rocket knight, but that one is a bit different in gameplay. trine uses three characters that combine their skills to get past each level. its really fun to play with another in co-op mode. the story revolves three characters a wizard, thief, andgreat game, great platormer gameplay. the graphics are pretty good for a side scroller and i dont know of many games like it for the pc. maybe rocket knight, but that one is a bit different in gameplay. trine uses three characters that combine their skills to get past each level. its really fun to play with another in co-op mode. the story revolves three characters a wizard, thief, and warrior that come together to save their world from evil unleashed. anything less than 9, is saying there are platformers better than this on the pc... Expand
  9. Nov 3, 2012
    If like me you played first Trine 2, this can be a surprise. Both are set in a fantasy world but they are different. Trine is more combat style and there are fewer puzzles. The setting, with its artistic style is always a pleasure; hidden treasures contain trinkets that can be worn by the characters, so you are more interested in finding them. The short length (six hours) and lack ofIf like me you played first Trine 2, this can be a surprise. Both are set in a fantasy world but they are different. Trine is more combat style and there are fewer puzzles. The setting, with its artistic style is always a pleasure; hidden treasures contain trinkets that can be worn by the characters, so you are more interested in finding them. The short length (six hours) and lack of different enemies, they are all skeletons, put Trine few steps under his successor but It is a good game for your collection. Expand
  10. CBZ
    Jul 15, 2013
    One of those little gems that you will love. I got it on Steam summer sale for really cheap together with Trine 2 and so far (more than halfway through) its a fantastic game with amazing visuals and good game mechanics,
  11. Jun 14, 2011
    Trine is a short and sweet physics platformer with great visuals and music. Controls are intuitive and it never gets overly difficult. It's definitely worth its $20 price tag.
  12. Jul 17, 2012
    Trine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled andTrine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled and frustrated at the same time. It took me 2 days or 12 hours to complete Trine and the whole time I just couldn't seem to force myself away from the PC. If you like puzzle platforming, then you will certainly love this game. Actually, if you just like games that require a bit of free thinking and puzzle solving then you will enjoy it. It can get frustrating at times, but remember: If at first you don't succeed, Trine, Trine again. Expand
  13. Jan 10, 2013
    I just checked a couple of screenshots before getting Trine and thought about having it as a resting game from some heavy time-consuming titles I was playing.

Still when I started the game and saw the story and the amazing visuals... felt so happy to have bought it. Not to mention the collaborative approach that makes you think that one skill is never enough but is team work what can make things really really work.

I completely congratulate the company and developers for this game that gave me some really nice hours of fun. You can see in every aspect of the game that the people were putting their heart, from the visuals, to the gameplay, the story to the puzzles, its a game designed and developed with passion.

The only downturn is that the "Very Hard" difficult only unlocks when you first beat the game and I am the kind of person who would like to play a game only once and in maximum difficulty, besides being only slight difference among them.

Thumbs up for this amazing game!!!
  14. Jun 13, 2013
    With a graphic quality setting and very neat, Trine is one of the more indie games market production values​​. The coop is one of its strengths, having completely different characters is one of its strengths, it's a shame you do not have online and there are some compatibility issues with the joysticks. The use of physical and 2.5D elements are very well made, the puzzles become veryWith a graphic quality setting and very neat, Trine is one of the more indie games market production values​​. The coop is one of its strengths, having completely different characters is one of its strengths, it's a shame you do not have online and there are some compatibility issues with the joysticks. The use of physical and 2.5D elements are very well made, the puzzles become very original. The items and system levels is very basic, and much depends on finding the secrets that are scattered on the map (which give rise to an interesting replay value), which sometimes results addictive have all the experience points level. The sound section is pretty basic, since its quite repetitive themes and sound effects with a decent level. The voices do not stand out much because the dialogue is almost nonexistent. Title is a very innovative and different from the usual, recommended for anyone who enjoys the platforms, puzzles and medieval times. Expand
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    Get this game!!!!

Get this game!!!!

I normally don't like or play "side scroll 3rd person games." But Steam had Trine on sale for only $1.99. I had to stop playing and come write this review I was so impressed! In fact, I've never played a game that was designed like this. An amazing narrator tells a story while you play, music really sets the mood and the challenges and obstacles are fun. It's a perfect recipe I had never imaged before. Everything is amazing about this game. The voice over, the music, the story and the graphics pull this game together. It's a breath of fresh air and a great change from all the other cookie cutter games out there.
    I feel bad now only paying $1.99 for it, and feel I should send the creators another $18 dollars. It's worth it!

Get it and play it! You will love it! I don't give great rating to ANYONE unless I feel they deserve it. Love this game!
  16. Sep 30, 2011
    great game, gorgeous graphics especially for a 2d platformer and some interesting puzzles. Its reasonably short though so don't go into this expecting more than a few decent hours worth of gameplay, the lack of an end boss or real end challenge was a bit of a disappointment but it is a great ride whilst it lasts.
  17. Jul 18, 2011
    Great graphics. Puzzles that will make you think twice before trying them out. Straightforward game play for beginners and advanced players. For those who are looking to overcome challenges and solve puzzles with a drop of combat and adventure, this is a game that is worth your time.
  18. Feb 14, 2012
    The art in this game is stunning, I enjoyed the beautiful environments, vibrant colors and great visual effects. The story is simple enough and gets you into the story enough to want to play but doesn't bore you with too many details. There are some game-play issues especially with the wizard's moves and its hard not to rely too much on one character. But for me at least the amazing art,The art in this game is stunning, I enjoyed the beautiful environments, vibrant colors and great visual effects. The story is simple enough and gets you into the story enough to want to play but doesn't bore you with too many details. There are some game-play issues especially with the wizard's moves and its hard not to rely too much on one character. But for me at least the amazing art, great game-play, good music and great narration more than make up for this issues. GREAT GAME. Expand
  19. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoyed the game and played through it about four times. It had some challenges and was a really beautiful world to explore. I would have given it a 10 if it was more non-linear... only out of what I prefer but I recommend it as a physics guy.
  20. Aug 17, 2010
    What is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is aWhat is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is a physics engine giving the game gravity that effects just about everything.

This isn't simply box pushing and jumping from platform to platform, this is a box stacking, pendulum swinging, puzzle of motion that I've put many ours happily into. There is also a very strong artistic effort into the backgrounds and all the other details that just drip with emotion and beauty.
  21. Jan 14, 2011
    Trine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combinedTrine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combined with the physics puzzles and hack'n'slash moments make for an amazing experience. What might be a downpoint to some is actually one of the best arguments FOR the game: it's as entertaining as you make it. Uncreative players will soon find themselves using the same techniques for every obstacle and puzzle over and over again. If you let your fantasy do the work you can make it an incredibly entertaining experience though. The only downpoint is that the end feels rather aprupt (which is, according to the developers, due to deadlines). Overall it's simply fantastic and, at least to me, one of the best games of 2009 at all. Expand
  22. Jul 26, 2011
    An excellent platformer, looks beautiful, and a lot of fun. Local co-op available (if you have a spare XBOX 360 controller) Buy it now, it's definitely worth it.
  23. Dec 12, 2011
    This has been the most suprising game that i have played in quite some time.
    I often remember those times where game developers still put gamplay on first priority and graphics second. Games that were Epic for their time, remember games like GODS on DOS, Shadow of Memories on Windows 95, games like that! games that sucked you right in and made you not even notice the minor downsides.
    Trine
    This has been the most suprising game that i have played in quite some time.
    Trine is that game this time, it offers a good old fashion platform type of gameplay with some new twists, a good old fashion story, and wonderfull graphics of this generation.
    Just buy the game its worth every penny :-) and then some.
  24. Aug 20, 2014
    I really loved this hidden gem. I think its gameplay is innovative, the graphics are super-good-looking. The length of the game was the best for a full-time employee.

It is simple, one of the best games i played for years!
  25. May 16, 2015
    Review for Trine Enchanted Edition and Trine 2: The Complete Story. read the full review @ http://blurbarians.blogspot.pt/2015/05/trine-trine-2.html :D

— Characters are fleshed out in a very light way. You get a quick background on their reasons to do whatever they are/want to do and that’s it. While this could be a negative point, you don’t really need to know more than what is told to you, and from then on the plot develops over the course of the game and through their dialogue, which is pretty nice. You get just the right amount of information to be able to enjoy the characters and their misadventures.

— Characters are rather overpowered in the first game, thanks to the inventory system, allowing you to equip up to 9 artefacts to each character, improving stats or giving them health boosts (or outright giving them a second life). There is also the fact that each character has 3 ranks on their spells, and Amadeus in particular can summon more than twice the number of objects in the first game when compared to the second, including floating platforms which make it easy to bypass obstacles or reach difficult places. In the second game you have to use several skills from the three characters in combination to achieve the same results, making it more enjoyable.

— Oh my god, the visuals. Every plant, leaf, statue, EVERYTHING looks absolutely wonderful. And don’t even get me started on some of the bosses or goblins in the second game. I don’t think I ever took as many screenshots per minute as I did in the Trine games. Back when these games came out in 2009 and 2011 respectively, playing on Extreme settings with a good framerate required a pretty solid rig. But seeing as my four year old GTX670 can keep it capped pretty much all of the time, it’s not a stretch anymore.

— Occasional oddity in character physics, game has its quirks.

— Amadeus is kind of useless in boss fights. He's a wizard that can summon boxes and move objects, meaning his offensive skills are non-existent.

— Having to make movements with the cursor to summon different objects can be a headache and make the game unnecessarily hard on higher difficulties. It would have been easier to just press a specific button for each object (there are only 3 different objects anyways, 2 in the second game). Making said movements with a controller using the analog stick takes even longer than with a mouse and might get annoying after a while. In addition, the speed at which you can levitate certain objects (due to their weight) is painfully slow.

— Everything is intuitive and makes sense, puzzles are relatively easy to solve by using simple logic or by just paying attention to your surroundings. Obviously, you'll have to solve them faster on harder difficulties if you don’t want to get killed. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to have harder puzzles, though that would probably have made certain achievements close to impossible, such as completing levels using only one single character.

— Voice acting is wonderful, for some reason I can’t put my finger on. Characters seem genuinely friendly and trustful towards each other, except for the first couple of levels in the first game. Characters (especially Amadeus) have a lot of emotion behind them so it’s easy for the player to empathize with them, and all dialogue sounds natural and flows well. The narrator is nice too.

— Music is very fitting and relaxing. Goes with the beautiful art and keeps you calm and focused.

Conclusion: relaxing and fun gameplay, nice music, friendly characters and astounding visuals. If you want a nice co-op experience, go for it. If you want a good single-player experience, go for it too. Especially if you like platformers, puzzles, fantasy games and beautiful scenery.

Final Gameplay Stats:

Trine: 11 Hours played, 33 / 33 Achievements (100%)
    Trine 2: 55 Hours played, 97 / 97 Achievements (100%)
  26. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): The game has a three dimensional backdrop but it plays in 2 dimensions. Not bleeding edge graphics, but not too shabby either. Game runs like a dream.

Singleplayer(8/10): Good length, however most levels begin to feel very â
  27. Jan 5, 2012
    Trine is a nice cool breeze in the gaming world were we're run over by violent games in general. Trine is a very nice looking game with a lot of fun features. It's a cheap game that continuously goes on sale on example Steam (where I bought it for 0,99â
  28. Aug 5, 2011
    Wonderful graphics and music quality, all along with an extremely smooth and varied gameplay.
    Sure, the game is relatively short, but it has an above average level of re-playability, since you can strive to get all the hidden bonuses and try to maximize your gameplay with one of the three characters available.
    Moreover the major point some reviews brought at release (a little expensive for the play time it offers) is now definitely moot, since you can easily find the game at a discounted price (and it means that it is now extremely cheap...).
    If you have any minor interest in platforming or fantasy or just generically nice-and-easy games, I cannot but recommend Trine...
  29. Nov 5, 2016
    Fun and enjoyable, but a little over simplified. Wish it was harder because I could have more play time and enjoy the game further. Aged pretty well, pick it up in a sale if you can
  30. Jan 2, 2011
    Fairytale. The word that very well embodies the game as a whole. As you progress through the game, it feels like each level is a page in a bedtime story. Trine's highest points are it's amazingly well made narrative and the stunning visuals. Voice acting is top notch and the characters have very defined personalities, even the narrator feels like he's a part of it all.

The gameplay is

The gameplay is solid and the physics engine is fun to mess around with. Many of the levels are semi-linear, allowing for multiple ways to cross gaps and beat down enemies. However, Trine does have it's low points. The length of the game is rather short, I would say 5 - 7 hours for anyone with any sort of gaming knowledge. I don't really expect much more form an indie game but it certainly isn't your Red Dead Redemption. Another is that it lacks any satisfying boss battles or climax points.

Really though, at the end of the day, it's a nice platformer that I would recommend to anybody with a couple bucks to spare.

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. Total PC Gaming