8.2

1. Nov 18, 2010
    Awesome game, it is so beautiful. I finished it but kept coming back and playing it again and again. It is exactly as another reviewer put it, I fell in love with Trine. I can´t wait for Trine 2!
  2. Aug 17, 2010
    What is Trine? Trine is a platform game. Trine is also in a sense a puzzle game. You should consider it a more problem-solving/logic Mario Brothers. You get 3 unique characters to control and you use their powers to progress through stages collecting powerups and defeating monsters while circumventing pitfalls and traps with your abilities. The great part about this is that there is a physics engine giving the game gravity that effects just about everything.

This isn't simply box pushing and jumping from platform to platform, this is a box stacking, pendulum swinging, puzzle of motion that I've put many ours happily into. There is also a very strong artistic effort into the backgrounds and all the other details that just drip with emotion and beauty.
  3. Aug 24, 2010
    Basic platforming plus good physics engine = good fun but not particularly revolutionary or mind-blowing. I find this game enjoyable, and I know a game doesn't have to be full of new stuff for it to be fun, but really it doesn't capture my imagination. The story is pretty much traditional claptrap with very heavily stereotyped and simple characters, and the biggest challenge in later levels is trying to platform while enemies repeatedly respawn in the same place, not very creative IMO. The physics does make for some slightly different puzzles from the usual, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before. Expand
  4. CBZ
    Jul 15, 2013
    One of those little gems that you will love. I got it on Steam summer sale for really cheap together with Trine 2 and so far (more than halfway through) its a fantastic game with amazing visuals and good game mechanics,
  5. Jul 19, 2011
    Kind of a cool concept 2D scrolling adventure, but the lack of an online coop mode means I likely won't play this game more than I would have liked to. Local coop only = fail.
  6. Jan 2, 2011
    Fairytale. The word that very well embodies the game as a whole. As you progress through the game, it feels like each level is a page in a bedtime story. Trine's highest points are it's amazingly well made narrative and the stunning visuals. Voice acting is top notch and the characters have very defined personalities, even the narrator feels like he's a part of it all.

The gameplay is
    solid and the physics engine is fun to mess around with. Many of the levels are semi-linear, allowing for multiple ways to cross gaps and beat down enemies. However, Trine does have it's low points. The length of the game is rather short, I would say 5 - 7 hours for anyone with any sort of gaming knowledge. I don't really expect much more form an indie game but it certainly isn't your Red Dead Redemption. Another is that it lacks any satisfying boss battles or climax points.

Really though, at the end of the day, it's a nice platformer that I would recommend to anybody with a couple bucks to spare.
  7. Jul 15, 2011
    Its a fun game, I like to play co-op with my friends, but it can get boring pretty fast. The graphics and physics are really neat for a sidescroller, and everything seems to run pretty smoothly.
  8. Jan 14, 2011
    Trine is really a beautiful game and honestly the best platformer I've played in years. The atmosphere and art style make it incredible easy for you to dive into this mystic, yet colorful and lovely fantasy world (that, by the way, looks astonishing thanks to the modern engine) and the storytelling makes you feel like you're in a Grimm fairytale. The typical platforming elements combined with the physics puzzles and hack'n'slash moments make for an amazing experience. What might be a downpoint to some is actually one of the best arguments FOR the game: it's as entertaining as you make it. Uncreative players will soon find themselves using the same techniques for every obstacle and puzzle over and over again. If you let your fantasy do the work you can make it an incredibly entertaining experience though. The only downpoint is that the end feels rather aprupt (which is, according to the developers, due to deadlines). Overall it's simply fantastic and, at least to me, one of the best games of 2009 at all. Collapse
  9. Jul 17, 2012
    Trine is a game that takes pride in it's work. From the story, to the graphics, to the level design every part of Trine shows care, polish, and pride. That is up to the end. There are no spoilers here, just know that the ending is very anti-climatic. The ending is what lead me to give Trine a 9 and not a 10. The path to the end, however, is very enjoyable and will keep you enthralled and frustrated at the same time. It took me 2 days or 12 hours to complete Trine and the whole time I just couldn't seem to force myself away from the PC. If you like puzzle platforming, then you will certainly love this game. Actually, if you just like games that require a bit of free thinking and puzzle solving then you will enjoy it. It can get frustrating at times, but remember: If at first you don't succeed, Trine, Trine again. Expand
  10. Jul 5, 2011
    Amazing platform/action/adventure game. The graphics are beautiful and the gameplay is both complex enough to be engaging but simple enough to master.
  11. Mar 15, 2011
    Graphics/Performance(10/10): The game has a three dimensional backdrop but it plays in 2 dimensions. Not bleeding edge graphics, but not too shabby either. Game runs like a dream.

Singleplayer(8/10): Good length, however most levels begin to feel very â
  12. Jul 9, 2011
    Trine is a very cool game from graphics to music, and with the classic fairy tale story it's a can't miss. Very gorgeous too look at and to sum up in one word the graphics are wonderful! Everything is put together so well and very pretty i might add. Music is great wonderful fantasy themed and is perfect for the atmosphere of the game. A downside is a not very long campaign, or very much variation. The puzzles are simple but yet there are at least 3 ways to solve each one depending on who is left alive in your party. If you can get this game for $10 or less, do it. Its a fun game that will give you around 5 hours of once-through game play :) Expand
  13. Sep 19, 2011
    A full 10/10! Not many games are worthy of full marks....this one is. Side scrollers seem to have all but dissapered, well not anymore. I have always been a fan of these types of games so maybe my score is a little bias but i love it. 3 different characters with different skills, all well balanced. Good mixture of combat and puzzle solving. A masterpiece!
  14. Jan 5, 2012
    Trine is a nice cool breeze in the gaming world were we're run over by violent games in general. Trine is a very nice looking game with a lot of fun features. It's a cheap game that continuously goes on sale on example Steam (where I bought it for 0,99â
  15. Apr 8, 2012
    At first glance Trine might seem like a simple side-scrolling adventure game, but there is actually a lot more to it than that. The game has a lot of charm to it. Although its story is not anything too special, the game's main strengths lie in its absolutely beautiful graphics, very magical music, and incredibly fun puzzles. You get to play as three characters, that is as all three in one go with the option to swap between them during the game as each one is useful for different situations. You have a Thief who wields a bow to destroy enemies from a distance and also has a grappling hook for climbing purposes. You have a Wizard who can levitate various objects and also to create new ones and to drop them on enemies. And you also have a Knight who is the most action-oriented of the three and is mostly for the moments when you're swarmed by groups of enemies and need to go melee style. As a result of being able to control any of the three characters at any time, the gameplay has a lot of spice and variety to it. It never gets repetitive. Although you do encounter a lot of enemies throughout, the game is also filled with a huge variety of different puzzles and obstacles which you need to overcome by using the skills your characters possess. A lot of the time there are even multiple ways to solve a certain puzzle. Like you could build a bridge with a Wizard character, or you might wish to instead use the Thief and her grappling hook to swing across. A single playthrough only lasts about 5 or so hours in total, but those 5 hours are really great as you get to enjoy the visual, auditory, and intellectual beauty of the game, not to mention that the replayability is good too, so you're likely to come back to the game a lot. Expand
  16. Aug 5, 2011
    Wonderful graphics and music quality, all along with an extremely smooth and varied gameplay.
    Sure, the game is relatively short, but it has an above average level of re-playability, since you can strive to get all the hidden bonuses and try to maximize your gameplay with one of the three characters available.
    Moreover the major point some reviews brought at release (a little expensive for
    the play time it offers) is now definitely moot, since you can easily find the game at a discounted price (and it means that it is now extremely cheap...).
    If you have any minor interest in platforming or fantasy or just generically nice-and-easy games, I cannot but recommend Trine...
  17. Jun 14, 2011
    Trine is a short and sweet physics platformer with great visuals and music. Controls are intuitive and it never gets overly difficult. It's definitely worth its $20 price tag.
  18. Sep 30, 2011
    great game, gorgeous graphics especially for a 2d platformer and some interesting puzzles. Its reasonably short though so don't go into this expecting more than a few decent hours worth of gameplay, the lack of an end boss or real end challenge was a bit of a disappointment but it is a great ride whilst it lasts.
  19. Jul 5, 2011
    Get this game!!!!

I normally don't like or play "side scroll 3rd person games." But Steam had Trine on sale for only $1.99. I had to stop playing and come write this review I was so impressed! In fact, I've never played a game that was designed like this. An amazing narrator tells a story while you play, music really sets the mood and the challenges and obstacles are fun. It's a perfect
    recipe I had never imaged before. Everything is amazing about this game. The voice over, the music, the story and the graphics pull this game together. It's a breath of fresh air and a great change from all the other cookie cutter games out there.
    I feel bad now only paying $1.99 for it, and feel I should send the creators another $18 dollars. It's worth it!

Get it and play it! You will love it! I don't give great rating to ANYONE unless I feel they deserve it. Love this game!
  20. Jul 6, 2011
    This is the kind of game that is often overlooked in the sea of games but it's a real gem. My game library consists of every other type of game but this one and let me tell you..... I can't put it down now. It's very pleasing to the eyes and fun for the brain. I've got fast paced racing and ultra violent shooters .... but this game has gotten a good chunk of time since I got it last month. It's like a sweet little escape into a pretty world with fun physics puzzles and a little old fashioned combat. Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2011
    The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty well. However, a few things hold it back. It's based entirely on physics. Balancing on things, tipping planks around and such, but sometimes these physics fail. One of the characters, the wizard, can levitate things, but sometimes whenever you try to levitate and object, and make it float, say, down, or left or right, it simply floats upward. Also, once an enemy starts their attack animation, even if you hit them first, or kill them before they swing their weapon, you still get hurt. This makes it incredibly hard to play without getting damaged.

But it's still a great game, and definitely worth the 2$ I payed for it on steam. Had I payed the full 20 it normally costs, I would still be happy with my purchase.
  22. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise of this game is similar to that of SNES game The Lost Vikings. You switch between three distinct characters and use their unique abilities to navigate through puzzle-filled action-platformer levels. Trine really kicks it up a notch though, with realistic physics interaction and gorgeous, fluid visuals. Although your character only moves along the 2D plane, there's a lot of stuff going on in the background. Huge blades will swing from the background, past your player and into the foreground, before slicing back again. It's a really special touch that is testimony to the level of visual detail in Trine. There's a huge amount of colour in the environments, which are extremely distinct from one another but all look beautiful. Characters move well for the most part, which is handy seeing as most of the puzzles involve jumping around on tiny platforms. Trine includes some light RPG elements; you can collect experience that allows you to upgrade your abilities when you level up. You can also find lots of unique items throughout the game, some of which are tailored for certain characters. Speaking of the characters; you'll definitely be using all of them. All three characters can solve most of the puzzles in the game, but you'll quickly learn which to use in certain situations. Because you shift between the three characters/classes so often, the RPG elements really come into play, and you'll want to spread out your items fairly evenly. Combat is fun, if a little repetitive, with enemies such as sword, bow and fire-wielding skeletons, ferocious ogres and smaller creatures like bats and spiders. Obviously the knight is the best character in close quarter combat situations, with his strong sword and hammer attacks and the ability to block.
    The dialogue is pretty funny at times, especially thanks to the great voice acting. It makes you care for the characters a little more than if they had generic, similar voices. All in all Trine is a great game, taking about seven hours to finish and with a stack of replay value. Pick it up on Steam for $15 and you won't have many regrets.
  23. Jul 18, 2011
    Great graphics. Puzzles that will make you think twice before trying them out. Straightforward game play for beginners and advanced players. For those who are looking to overcome challenges and solve puzzles with a drop of combat and adventure, this is a game that is worth your time.
  24. Jul 26, 2011
    An excellent platformer, looks beautiful, and a lot of fun. Local co-op available (if you have a spare XBOX 360 controller) Buy it now, it's definitely worth it.
  25. Aug 21, 2011
    Really innovative, beautiful, and hearty game to play! I was hooked on it until the end - which in my opinion came a little too fast (not that the game is short, but it is not long either: was done in 7-9 hours). The gameplay is really addictive; the thought-through puzzles, physx engine, and pretty colors make this an awesome sidescroller :)
  26. Oct 8, 2011
    It's part puzzle and part adventure game with a light touch of RPG thrown into the mix. For an independent game it's amazingly well produced and has a flow that few games can match. Reminds me of the first time I played the first Prince of Persia. Fascinating puzzles with an addictive mechanics.
  27. Sep 14, 2012
    The graphics are really great with very beautiful colors and effects. Story is mediocre but that doesnt affect the game overall. The puzzles are very clever and can be solved with every character you got, either thief, wizard and knigth. A bit small on gameplay length, featuring 15 levels and a secret one after you finish the game.

The intro before every level is very good and the
    narrator puts you in the story pretty well.

The music is just epic, one of my favourite scores in gaming.
  28. Feb 9, 2012
    Why you have to buy this game?

1) great graphics
    2) smooth gameplay
    3) here and there a puzzle

Why not?

1) After five hours of playing you're bored already
    2)repetitive
    3)Only local co-op
  29. Dec 3, 2011
    I don't understand the hype for this game. The controls are botchy, the graphics are average, the gameplay is boring. I've spent 16 hours on this game getting all the achievements...trying to like it. But i don't see what it is that makes people like it. There are so many better games out there that this just gets lost at the bottom. Save your money and don't pick this up unless it is for REALLY cheap. Expand
  30. Jan 6, 2012
    Trine is a charming fantasy platform with fantastic 3D visuals despite only being navigational in two dimensions. The canvas of the game is vibrant and glowing with true fantasy which draws in you in and keeps you continuing this pleasant and humorous tale. The puzzle elements aren't overly taxing and never angered or had me stumped for too long to discourage me from the game. The developers have cleverly combined three unique and individual characters into the players hands that can be switched between to fulfil specific challenges and tasks though the player is never given a concrete solution to each obstacle and can complete each encounter in their own way. The game is not too short nor too long and has replay value via Steam achievements and finding all the secrets within the game.
    One annoyance I did find was that if I had to quit the game mid mission then I would have to start from the beginning of that level when I returned; despite having passed numerous checkpoints I still had to begin from the start even if I was within footsteps of the finish.
  31. Jun 13, 2013
    With a graphic quality setting and very neat, Trine is one of the more indie games market production values​​. The coop is one of its strengths, having completely different characters is one of its strengths, it's a shame you do not have online and there are some compatibility issues with the joysticks. The use of physical and 2.5D elements are very well made, the puzzles become very original. The items and system levels is very basic, and much depends on finding the secrets that are scattered on the map (which give rise to an interesting replay value), which sometimes results addictive have all the experience points level. The sound section is pretty basic, since its quite repetitive themes and sound effects with a decent level. The voices do not stand out much because the dialogue is almost nonexistent. Title is a very innovative and different from the usual, recommended for anyone who enjoys the platforms, puzzles and medieval times. Expand
  32. Dec 2, 2011
    The game is extremely pretty to look at. It's a good length game consider the price tag and there welcome complexity to the character designs. However, the game play is very lacking. The puzzles are extremely easy and repetitive. The jumping controls are unresponsive and lack precision. You see largely only 1 enemy type throughout the whole game which gets dull extremely quickly. The coop play is awkward as the game is obviously not design only for single player. The music lacks variance. Expand
  33. Dec 12, 2011
    This has been the most suprising game that i have played in quite some time.
    I often remember those times where game developers still put gamplay on first priority and graphics second. Games that were Epic for their time, remember games like GODS on DOS, Shadow of Memories on Windows 95, games like that! games that sucked you right in and made you not even notice the minor downsides.
    Trine
    is that game this time, it offers a good old fashion platform type of gameplay with some new twists, a good old fashion story, and wonderfull graphics of this generation.
    Just buy the game its worth every penny :-) and then some.
  34. Dec 20, 2011
    This is a great game overall, it's so innovative how the puzzles make use of each of your characters abilities to solve it. It has a great platforming but a repetitive combat which tends to annoy when you are deeply immersed. The story is also pretty good and the environments following the story look absolutely amazing. This is overall a great game and you should really buy it.
  35. Dec 30, 2011
    Fantastic visuals. Someone cared deeply about the art. The voice acting is great, the game play is very fun. Don't hesitate to get this or it's sequel.
  36. Jan 26, 2012
    A good platformer game with some fairy tail story and three characters, unique in each way. The most time you will spend solving average difficulty puzzles and the hard ones which will drive you mad, because a game physics are frustrating sometimes, so you make a mistakes. The biggest disappointing of characters skills, was that archer couldn't shoot in the air, so combat was less entertaining for me. The mage's problem was when you pull up box or a cage, it was keep spinning, so it was hard to manipulate object the way you want. Controls are very unresponsive, which is a very big problem for a game, where you have to jump a lot. Also there are skill system, where you can upgrade your characters abilities and after that solve puzzles easier. But these annoying skeletons!!! They spawned in a small number and were easy to kill, but it was annoying to wait till they all spawn, one after you kill one, - that's a biggest fail in the game. Music and game theme, atmosphere were ok. Graphics very average. The game could be better, if not all these fails in it. Expand
  37. Feb 14, 2012
    The art in this game is stunning, I enjoyed the beautiful environments, vibrant colors and great visual effects. The story is simple enough and gets you into the story enough to want to play but doesn't bore you with too many details. There are some game-play issues especially with the wizard's moves and its hard not to rely too much on one character. But for me at least the amazing art, great game-play, good music and great narration more than make up for this issues. GREAT GAME. Expand
  38. Apr 10, 2012
    Trine is a beautiful indie co-op platformer, akin to Blizzard's classic Lost Vikings. With stunning visuals, great music and excellent voice acting (the Knight is especially funny to listen to), Trine is no doubt a treat to your senses. Three on-the-fly selectable characters, each with unique abilities, fills the thoughtless void typically native to the genre. A leveling system linked with secret collectibles adds a satisfying, appropriate and very familiar element of replayability. Trine could use some more diverse enemy models, as the Skeleton proved tiresome after the first encounter. Trine's strongest weakness lies in the clumsy-feeling physics-based gameplay, often adding an element of frustrating uncertainty to the movement of your character - thankfully, Trine is not overly challenging (completed in 7 hours, and 100% Steam achievements in 16), but more challenging puzzles and co-op would have been most welcome. Setting the controls for multiplayer, using a standard xbox gamepad, proved to be an unneeded headache.

Overall, Trine is a must-have for indie game fans and is highly recommended to platformer fans interested in something unique.
  39. May 3, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. The game is very fun, not too long, not too short. The 2D gameplay is great and reminds me of Castlevania 3 with its varied characters each with their own unique strengths. In Trine the characters are well balanced, the wizard almost being an exception since his only offense is to drop a box or plank on enemies and you can't move while you're summoning, but this vulnerability makes it interesting, especially if he's the only character left alive. The music is absolutely beautiful and perfectly suited to the game and just for listening in general. I completed all achievements and was still left wanting more. Expand
  40. May 14, 2012
    I will be frank, the idea is neat... I expected something clever as Lost Vikings. And i got less. the game offers too many solutions... So much you don't really have to think at all. The game is also too easy. The enemies are repetitive. The knight voice, and the jokes... OH MY GOOD... they are really really bad. To the point Im trying to be kind to that aspect.... But I CHOKED hearing so bad jokes... The first problem... The Characters never interact between them. That's lame... I understand during the first half of the game they just say some lines. But near the end they still don't have a normal Dialog... Example...

"I smell something is burning"

"I wish it is not the woods"

" I wish is Turkey" I made this by myself and I think i made a better joke that what I have in that game... But they interact like that.. Remember When a level started in Lost vikngs and the characters had actual conversations? Remember they INTERACTED talking to each other and playing pranks and jokes between themselves!? Ok here we have characters who constanly say something about something but never criticize each other or have some kind of interaction. And Is not like that is not possible, the knight is so terrible flatminded it deserves the thief play pranks on him and the wizard calms everybody, But no, they dont do anything ... the jokes are bad, the characters have little characterization and they don't even talk to each other (is like they talk to thin air)

Now the game itself. The physics are unaccurate, but not to the point is unplayable... But mark my words... If you die, Is because of the physics.

The enemies range from bats... to skeletons. to monsters. to skeletons... Add some skeletons, some bats, some skeletons, some more skeletons. and . Maybe some more bats... But don't forget the skeletons!

This is not the prince of persia times, where your only enemies where swordmen and skeletons. This game really needed difficulty. Voices, and depth...

Overall I think this game is really hollow and was made with little to no heart.

I Enjoyed the run... But not enough to play the game again. It just don't have replayability, this is the first platformer I probably will not play again. Is not bad or mediocre... But really average
  41. May 31, 2012
    Wake me up when there is some kind of challenge. The monsters are all identical from start to end, the "puzzles" are extremely easy. The gameplay, three heroes to control and freedom to pass the level like you choose, along with the nice levels design and artistic direction makes it worth playing despite these flaws.
  42. Jul 13, 2012
    This is a fantastic indie game and platformer. The game is fun to go through single-player, but it really shines when you can get one or two friends to play through it with you. Solving the puzzles together while making sure all of you can get through while fighting off bats and skeletons is great fun. The platforming is very solid and while the puzzles are not terrible complicated, getting all the characters through in 3 player can be harder than you think. Graphically the game is gorgeous, the backgrounds and character are incredibly well animated, colorful, and just fun to look at. The one area of the game that I feel could use a little improvement is the combat. The way the enemies spawned could get a bit tiresome at times. There were often only 1 or 2 spawn points in an area but you would have to fight a dozen or more skeletons. This would drag out the fights painfully with you waiting right by the spawn point to kill the same skeleton 5 or 6 times over the course of several minutes instead of just fighting them all at once and moving on. You would kill it for the 5th time and turn around to move to the next puzzle and *whoosh* another skeleton spawns behind you. Still a very fun, solid, and thoroughly enjoyable platform puzzle game. Recommended for anyone that enjoys a good platforming game. Play with friends for the full experience. Expand
  43. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoyed the game and played through it about four times. It had some challenges and was a really beautiful world to explore. I would have given it a 10 if it was more non-linear... only out of what I prefer but I recommend it as a physics guy.
  44. Jan 3, 2013
    Trine is a good example of what happens when developers set out on a quest to make the greatest game ever. Interactive physics puzzles, useful and fun characters combined with breathtaking visuals so awesome it's magical, make this game worthy of passing on to your grandkids.
  45. Nov 3, 2012
    If like me you played first Trine 2, this can be a surprise. Both are set in a fantasy world but they are different. Trine is more combat style and there are fewer puzzles. The setting, with its artistic style is always a pleasure; hidden treasures contain trinkets that can be worn by the characters, so you are more interested in finding them. The short length (six hours) and lack of different enemies, they are all skeletons, put Trine few steps under his successor but It is a good game for your collection. Expand
  46. Dec 11, 2012
    Side scrolling platformer where you control three characters in a fantasy setting. In theory each character has their strong points and should contribute to specific areas of the game. However in reality for the majority of the game you could pick which of the three you like the best and roll through levels with them. Compounding on this problem is the fact that the Knight character is mostly useless leaving you to use him to eat damage. The narrative is clever with good voice over work between levels but can't seem to figure out if it's trying to be humorous or quaint. The graphics are beautiful but many parts made me wish I had been able to walk into the back/foreground (like Bug 3D). If you enjoy platformers or RPGs this will be worth checking out since it combines elements of both well. Expand
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    It's a rather average game with good graphics (for an arcade game). The physics puzzles are interesting at some places, but sometimes they require precise timing and very accurate key presses which gets annoying. You may like it if you like arcade games but let's say Limbo is way way better than this one.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    Trine is quite good game. I've played only 2 hours, cause i don't like games with magic. But for someone, who like fantasy, Trine is very good game.
  49. Jan 10, 2013
    I just checked a couple of screenshots before getting Trine and thought about having it as a resting game from some heavy time-consuming titles I was playing.

Still when I started the game and saw the story and the amazing visuals... felt so happy to have bought it. Not to mention the collaborative approach that makes you think that one skill is never enough but is team work what can
    make things really really work.

I completely congratulate the company and developers for this game that gave me some really nice hours of fun. You can see in every aspect of the game that the people were putting their heart, from the visuals, to the gameplay, the story to the puzzles, its a game designed and developed with passion.

The only downturn is that the "Very Hard" difficult only unlocks when you first beat the game and I am the kind of person who would like to play a game only once and in maximum difficulty, besides being only slight difference among them.

Thumbs up for this amazing game!!!
  50. Feb 3, 2013
    I picked this up in a steam sale along with its sequel and was initially impressed with its fantastic visuals and controls. The three character dynamic works well for the most part and each character has their specific roles. However I felt that the gameplay was unpolished and I solved a few puzzles by abusing the physics engine and I encountered various glitches. I didn't finish the game because of this and have no desire to. I recognize there's a good game underneath the outdated physics engine and glitches but I recommend you skip straight to Trine's superior sequel. Expand
  51. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, great platormer gameplay. the graphics are pretty good for a side scroller and i dont know of many games like it for the pc. maybe rocket knight, but that one is a bit different in gameplay. trine uses three characters that combine their skills to get past each level. its really fun to play with another in co-op mode. the story revolves three characters a wizard, thief, and warrior that come together to save their world from evil unleashed. anything less than 9, is saying there are platformers better than this on the pc... Expand
  52. Apr 25, 2013
    I picked it up on a Steam sale, along with its sequel, looking for a good platform game. Graphically is just great for a platform game, cool sound, and cool characters, each one with his own specialties. Sadly, the games has many flaws that make's it really boring after just a couple of levels. First is the physic engine, which makes really hard to jump to small areas. The puzzle were just to easy to deserve that name. And the levels feels repetitive almost immediately. There is no sens of progression. The story is average, but you will hardly see any connection with the gameplay. And the worst part, what will make you want to quite the game after less than 30 minutes of playing THE COMBATS!! First of all, the enemies are EXTREMELY REPETITIVE. Basically bats and different kind of skeletons (knights, archers, flame throwers, etc) and I can't describe how boring is to fight them... Avoiding them by jumping without being cut is really hard, and you will be in many situations were as soon as you kill a skeleton, a new one spawn. And fighting them is also terrible, the archer can't throw arrows in the air, and has no defense. Basically stay away and throw as many arrows as you can. The wizard only can crash skeletons by levitating stuffs, has no defense skill, and has no way to kill bats!!!. And finally the knight, the combative one, you basically stay cover with you shield, wait for the skeleton to hit you, and then just click many times until he is dead. Compare this with the old DOS prince of persia combat system, and this is just patetic.... So in the end, a boring, yet graphically beautiful platform game to soon be forget. Expand
  53. AWG
    Aug 1, 2013
    Trine is a pretty, "artsy" game that would like to be something special but in the end it's just your average platformer. Characters are as well drawn as irritating and story is dull.
  54. Jun 25, 2013
    An excellent 2D platformer, and I generally hate this type of game. The wizard in particular is enjoyable to play with- there is no jumping puzzle you can't get through with him. It was enjoyable to have a platformer reward you for thinking outside the box. Some parts can be extremely frustrating, but it might just have been me being an idiot.
  55. Nov 4, 2013
    Reasonably entertaining side scrolling platform adventure game. The game draws you in with its superb visuals and quick character changes which make the game feel very dynamic at first. As progress is made in the game you realize that the characters lack balance and the game just drags. Every puzzle can be most easily solved by the Wizard and once the Thief is strong enough there is never a reason to use the slow and clumsy warrior. Experience is found in bottles, mostly hidden in the scenery, causing you to often focus more on maneuvering the scenery than solving puzzles and advancing the game. Expand
  56. Dec 28, 2013
    At the times when a platform game including three switchable characters able to affect environment was a surprise, maybe this game deserved 8 or 9. I read in credits that 'the game is different but totally entertaining'. It would be so if not these broken mechanics. I hated that my plank would appeare not where I want it to, moving things was horrible and especially when I would draw a triangle and got a box. The tempo, a flow of a game was missing. Because of that it became really static and often annoying. But for the price of 0,74 it is really viable game. Expand
  57. Jul 19, 2014
    A TERRIFIC MASTERPIECE! This is truly the best 2D platformer I have ever played! With fantastic visuals, nice storytelling, music that makes you feel that you are in your dream fantasy world and fantastic narrator. This game is currently on sale for only 0.79 EUR (price from 1/3/2014) and the Trine Complete Collection (which includes Trine and Trine 2: Complete Story) for only 3.24 EUR (price from 1/3/2014). This is a true masterpiece, if you want to follow the story, I recommend Trine then Trine 2, if you want to play the prettiest, play Trine 2 Expand
  58. Jan 14, 2011

1. Trine is simply an unpretentious and effortlessly lovely adventure, if never quite special enough to nudge into the echelons of 9/10 and above. Immediately likeable, hugely enjoyable and brimming with charming detail every step of the way, your enjoyment may depend on how many friends you can share the journey with, but few would regret time spent in the company of this trio.
  2. Trine isn't as new and exciting as current 2D platforming king Braid was on its release, but its combination of tight controls, exiting action and physics-based puzzles makes it easy to recommend to platforming fans. It's a shame the multiplayer isn't more interesting, but when played alone it shouldn't be hard to get many hours of fun out of Frozenbyte's impressive looking title.
  3. A charming and excellently executed platform game. [Issue#22, p.57]