7.1

1. May 23, 2014
    Real interesting game. I engoy it so much. not better then tropico 3, but real good.Presedente is so funny.
    There are alot of interesting things and funny videos
  2. May 23, 2014
    Definitely a worthy successor and a fresh breath of air to the Tropico series. The new Era system in particular helps make the game feel like times are changing every so often. Shifts in foreign powers, local factions. The grid based building system is also a godsend to anyone who likes organized city centers.
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    Another excellent addition to the franchise. Pure eye candy when zooming right in. Excellent Dialogue of all that assist or hinder you along the way. Liking the campaign, it's a new spin on going through the years from like 1900-present.

My only gripe is the fog of war or this would of been a 10/10. WHY do we see mining deposits under the Fog of War? Why do we see the Technologies for Modern Times right off the bat? We should start out like in CiV5 with a settler and a military unit and NOTHING MORE.I would even hide the palm trees and let the player explore the islands. Other than that a SOLID 8/10
  4. May 26, 2014
    Campaign a bit buggy, save games also buggy, but the game is still a lot of fun. I love this game and even named my dog Penultimo. Deserved a review, thanks for this incredible masterpiece.
  5. May 26, 2014
    Pros: Commentary has some great wtf moments that made me laugh out loud. Easy to kill hours of your time without noticing. Balancing could use some work but not a game breaker. I expect to see this improve in future updates. Overall gameplay is good but I find myself missing hotkeys common in other similar games.

Cons: Tutorial is a little on the weak side yet it does show you the

Cons: Tutorial is a little on the weak side yet it does show you the basics. Would benefit from a better help/faq system. I should not need to go outside of the game to find the info I need.
  6. May 28, 2014
    For some reason it's always environmentalists and religious people who end up hating me - it's been that way since the release of Tropico 3 and it will hopefully stay that way 'till Tropico 10.
    The game's humor is fantastic, I had great fun with just the tutorial even though I am a master dictator from the previous titles already. I expect to have much fun with this in the future, because once the very well known "20-fun-hours" are over, and the game is out of new puns and jokes, the citybuilding part kicks in, which is again, very good. it's 9/10 because not all of the text during tutorial and campaign has voice acting.
  7. May 25, 2014
    Really great game. Really love and enjoy it. A great Sequel of the older Tropico Parts with the old charm.
    A Must-Have for every Simulation and Tropico-Fan
  8. May 26, 2014
    I am not one to post reviews, but after playing one game of Tropico 5, I really felt the need to express my opinion on this game which has brought me genuine enjoyment. The game feels balanced between fun and challenging - a very hard factor to balance. Previous versions of Tropico were just a bit too easy, often I would reach a point where it became impossible to lose, but in Tropico 5 II am not one to post reviews, but after playing one game of Tropico 5, I really felt the need to express my opinion on this game which has brought me genuine enjoyment. The game feels balanced between fun and challenging - a very hard factor to balance. Previous versions of Tropico were just a bit too easy, often I would reach a point where it became impossible to lose, but in Tropico 5 I am constantly kept awake because at any moment I could lose everything. I tried the democratic route but that gave the people options over me which meant I couldn't play - I was forced into Dictatorship in order to continue playing - so now I'm a bad guy and it feels right. I also enjoy the slow progression through the ages, to see things evolve over time develops a strong sense of progress, I hope they continue this trend in future versions and even extend it further into history.

My only nitpick as of now is the fact I can see what buildings and technologies I can uncover in the future, I would prefer that to also be in the fog, just as it should be, its always nice to get surprises. Revealing what's coming from the get go takes that surprise element away.

Anyway, good job, great game.
  9. May 23, 2014
    Great game, dark humor as usual and with a great city building system and with a great multiplier system, in my opinion best Tropico game yet, i recommend this game
  10. May 30, 2014
    If your on the fence about getting this game get it. It's after I've played all of the Tropico games (with the exception of 2 I believe which didn't come out on the PC for some reason..) What's cool about this game is: 1 Trade routes. - If you like to play sandbox the game is so much better. You run out of resources, and what's cool now is you can set up trade agreements at differentIf your on the fence about getting this game get it. It's after I've played all of the Tropico games (with the exception of 2 I believe which didn't come out on the PC for some reason..) What's cool about this game is: 1 Trade routes. - If you like to play sandbox the game is so much better. You run out of resources, and what's cool now is you can set up trade agreements at different prices to import/export. And in order to make good money and have your buildings function you will need to import. 2 Multiplayer adds a nice touch; it's not my #1 in a Tropico game, but it's a nice side thing to do when you want to goof around with other dictators. :) 3 The research trees are nice; they could be more detailed, but they are a nice addition. 4 Some of the buildings were NOT available in Tropico 4 without buying Tropico 4 modern times, yet they are in 5 such as modern apartments, offices, etc. 5 Your dynasty is just that. You eventually will have more rulers in your dynasty and you can level them up with enough $$$, and they have different skills.. 6 There are a LOT of managers with different skills. You get them via people attending colleges. You can then assign them to buildings. 7 The islands are decent size, AND random maps can be generated just like in T4. 8 This game is selling much more than Tropico 4 did. Does it mean it's better? No, it means that you will have people to play with in multiplayer mode, and the game is pretty good. I liked 4, but like 5 more. The options in sandbox with trading after you've researched everything are nice.. I used to get bored in Tropico 4 in sandbox because once you have a lot of money it seemed pointless; this is not the case in Tropico 5 with resources running out and the need for trade. Two thumbs up. :) Expand
  11. May 25, 2014
    Tropico 5 is definitely not like the others, for one, it's built off DirectX 11 (Which they should have used OpenGL for it since they plan on making it cross-platform), it's definitely more challenging to get in to, starting in the colonial era and keeping up with your mandate is no easy feat just starting out.

Multiplayer for it is fun, definitely, but until they implement multiplayer

Multiplayer for it is fun, definitely, but until they implement multiplayer saves this is something you should avoid because unless you complete the multiplayer game (which co-op games really have no end unless you specify one) you don't get to keep any dynasty benefits or anything like that you gain.

They updated the graphics quite a lot and using DX11 and it's heavy texture compression they were able to keep the game down to a reasonable size, doesn't eat up hard drive space.

The one big thing I enjoy about this is the road system. It properly snaps to a grid this time around so you don't have to worry about accidentally making crooked roads which screw up your layout long-term

The addition of managers is also really cool, being able to give buildings individual benefits, or benefits in a radius around the building the manager is assigned to depending on your specialty.

Overall the game gets a 10 from me, I would give them lower but all the issues at present I have a problem with are being fixed. So no worries there.
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    I find this game a lot of fun and a must buy if you're into the city building genre. The era system gives it a Civilization feel to it, unlocking more stuff as you progress. The game runs great too, no game breaking bugs or anything like that. I highly recommend it.
  13. May 29, 2014
    Tropico 4 has always been my guilty pleasure to play when I've found a moment to spare. It let's you be creative and strategic and the latin music is so addictive. My only complaint was the length of the game always seemed so short, I felt I just got going and wham done. Tropico 5 completely fixes this however, there is this mechanic where it switches you between islands randomly forTropico 4 has always been my guilty pleasure to play when I've found a moment to spare. It let's you be creative and strategic and the latin music is so addictive. My only complaint was the length of the game always seemed so short, I felt I just got going and wham done. Tropico 5 completely fixes this however, there is this mechanic where it switches you between islands randomly for different objectives. At first I was not happy when I was just starting to get into my one island to have it switch to another but eventually I learned to enjoy it as it takes you back and let's you really juggle multiple islands and objectives at once. Try turning your beautiful environment friendly island into a military compound to keep out invaders. It adds a whole new level of strategy that truly does not get old. I actually don't understand some other reviews that say the buildings look similar, I've found that the buildings are in general prettier and easier to work with to create a sprawling city center with. Expand
  14. May 24, 2014
    There is no doubt about it, and this is the best game ever created. The game is beautiful and plays excellent on every system ever made. I'm playing it on an Amiga right now. Some people are upset because they can't afford the game but if they took that time to give blood a few times they'd find out anything is possible. God bless Tropico. Long live El Presidente!
  15. May 24, 2014
    You know, the game is about "banana republics" and dictatorships of the Caribbean... Yet you often find yourself building a stable and "ideal" democracy, where you not only care for majority of voters, but to almost all voters. As in a Democracy you don't have to deal with uprisings.

For the first time in the series you don't start as "El Prisdente" but as "governor. You have to earn independence and for this you already need supporters, and you need real support. So no funny tricks with an election. You have to put effort to research a constitution and more.

The game doesn't have a classic "tech tree", but advanced technologies can be only researched if you have already researched a certain number of other technologies before them. Like shovel, cowboys. As you can't have a constitution with either shovel, sickle or cowboys. Well.. At least 2 of them is needed.

The graphics are okay, the story is silly. And it is more silly than the other Tropico games.

Some of the new features are nice, some would need more refinement, but overall Tropico 5 is a decent game. A decent game that can keep fans entertained, where you get some fun for your money, but it won't attract much new customers, and it isn't among the best games in the year.
  16. May 26, 2014
    Pretty awesome for a sequel, even though the gameplay mechanics are similar to other Tropico Series.

Most buildings now have an "efficiency" value that can be boosted by upgrades, managers, and the Presidente skills. This is especially noticeable in relation to farms, where multiple nearby farms may boost each other's productivity, while nearby cattle farms may apply additional boosts to all nearby farms. Goat farms on other hand receive boosts from the number of nearby farms. This system seems to make agriculture a much more viable option, I had some farms working at 250% efficiency.

A lot of game buildings got simplified, for example mines are placed in a cave in a hillside (no more free placement), farms come with a large rectangle of land defined where crops would be grown. Fishing now collects fish from distinct fish nodes located around the island.

Probably the biggest change is the need to discover different technology during one of 4 eras - for example you cannot build mines right from the start, but need to research them after building a library. Same with different edicts - stuff like Social Security requires quite a lot of research during world war era. I feel like research adds more depth and specialization to islands in this version of Tropico.

In terms of single player, it seems that the game is focused around two islands, one agricultural, another industrial that are taken through different eras (colonial, world war, etc). I have not completed the campaign yet, but I think it's a better alternative than starting 10 different islands from scratch - your previous decisions count in subsequent missions.

Overall, a fun game with a lot of humor preserved.
  17. May 27, 2014
    A fun, interesting city builder game that is unique from most other city builder games due to its setting; rather than being the invisible tyrant of some modern city, you are the leader of a small Caribbean island, and have to regain power through any means necessary. The soundtrack, humour and actions (most often morally ambiguous) give a great atmosphere to the game, making it a uniqueA fun, interesting city builder game that is unique from most other city builder games due to its setting; rather than being the invisible tyrant of some modern city, you are the leader of a small Caribbean island, and have to regain power through any means necessary. The soundtrack, humour and actions (most often morally ambiguous) give a great atmosphere to the game, making it a unique experience from other city builders, if not from previous instalments of tropico. Multiplayer adds new possibilities, although it isn't perfect.

Despite new eras and new art, the game is very similar to the previous two instalments, so previous players will find it similar. It also has moments of stupidity; quests that you have already achieved, poor cost-to-effect buildings and awkward road placement all act as minor annoyances. The game also crashes in multi-player from time to time.
  18. Jun 9, 2014
    This game have serious deepness if we compare with TROPICO 4 .But I should say I only played main games not with any DLC. Campaign mod is highly satisfying (long and great). But I think there should be more complicated management and active observe system and more buildings. For ex: Health problems or food problems should see within map size. Also there could be building on sloping landThis game have serious deepness if we compare with TROPICO 4 .But I should say I only played main games not with any DLC. Campaign mod is highly satisfying (long and great). But I think there should be more complicated management and active observe system and more buildings. For ex: Health problems or food problems should see within map size. Also there could be building on sloping land for only residents maybe. But generally, It was fun to play. Expand
  19. May 29, 2014
    Lots of improvements from Tropico 4. It is worth playing if you enjoyed the previous Tropico games. One thing that bothers me from all the Tropicos is when you loose the election or a military coup is successful, you are no longer able to build on your city, you instantly go on main menu. So all the time wasted building your city is gone. It would be better if you could stage a way to getLots of improvements from Tropico 4. It is worth playing if you enjoyed the previous Tropico games. One thing that bothers me from all the Tropicos is when you loose the election or a military coup is successful, you are no longer able to build on your city, you instantly go on main menu. So all the time wasted building your city is gone. It would be better if you could stage a way to get back into power, whether being rebels or organizing coups straight from playing in your own city. Expand
  20. May 30, 2014
    Another fantastic addition to the series. An improvement on all previous games. Really enjoying it. If you loved the previous titles (or just love city builders) then this is for you.
  21. Sep 12, 2014
    Not the best game in the eWorld,but it's entertaining,funny,stupid and fun.It has enough new things to make it worth the price tag,and it's a great port.If you're looking for a good city builder,after that whole Sim City thing,then look no further. Pick it up,if for no other reason than the fact that you can give yourself I finite tanks
  22. Jun 19, 2014
    Tropico 5 is a fun game, certainly one of the best recent examples of its genre. It takes all the features of its latest predecessor and simplifies them - in a good way. The most prominent innovation is the advancement through ages of history, which I personally loved.

A final note about the "plot" of the game: it's actually kinda cool. Pay attention to the small details!
  23. Jul 13, 2014
    This game is by far the best in its series.
    +Good gameplay
    +Nice textures and graphics... but: -Campaign needs depth and something that makes a difference between it and the ¨sandbox mode¨ a part from a bunch of dialogues (which are not fun at all) -Needs further detail, more buildings, industries... -Boring after 4-5 hours -Strange ¨happiness rate¨, people start emigrating for no
    This game is by far the best in its series.
    +Good gameplay
    +Nice textures and graphics... but:
    -Needs further detail, more buildings, industries...
    -Boring after 4-5 hours
    -Strange ¨happiness rate¨, people start emigrating for no good reason even though happiness is at 90-80 %!!!!!!
  24. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall Premise: By now your dictatorial duties haven’t evolved much but are still a last to fiddle around with as usual. Even more is open this time around.

Graphics and Sound: Visuals are pretty much the same they were the last time around, meaning they aren’t spectacular or bad. The sound effects and the music selection keep things fresh.

Playability and Entertainment: The controls aren’t so complex as to be unrecognizable to newcomers and veterans alike. The community building experience is definitely one of the best.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.0/10.0
  25. Mar 25, 2015
    Tropico 5 made things easier and more straightforward. You don't have to worry about things as much as you had to do in Tropico 3/4. While Tropico die-hard fans may find this unpleasant, I (as mostly a casual player) found Tropico 5 more enjoyable than Tropico 3/4.

That aside, campaign was really nice (more or less Cuba throughout history) and as already said, overall gameplay is relaxing.
    Graphics are nice but I have to say I'd like to have multiple models for (for example) houses and such, having every single house looking the same kills a bit realism.
    On sound compartment I have to say that things are not as good as graphics. Effects are often not good, not as much as unpleasant, but still not good enough; music feels repetitive after really a short time.

Recommended for casual players, die-hard fans may get disappointed, wait for discounts (graphic is still better than Tropico 3/4).
  26. Aug 22, 2014
    Really funny city simulator.

The campaign is solid and its objectives are really nice. There are several different (and all valid) options to get fast cash, from farms to factories, from tourism to offices. In this game you are the people manager, for real - not only the buildings positioner -, you need to understand how many educated citizen you have (high school and university),
    Really funny city simulator.

The campaign is solid and its objectives are really nice.

In this game you are the people manager, for real - not only the buildings positioner -, you need to understand how many educated citizen you have (high school and university), how many not educated, and how your economic development choices will impact on the high school / not educated ratio - for example a farm based economy just needs not educated ppl / a offices based economy needs all ppl from university.

Besides the education the population is sorted by age, wealth and preferences, since the population is divided in factions, often asking the opposites, like nationalists vs globalists.

During my almost 40 hours play-through I experimented several different economies and I had fun with them all, which is the most important thing to me.

To succeed you have to find the right balances between multiple contemporary conditions, all spiced up by random disasters and the various rebellions / invasions.

Suggesting the game, my personal score is 8/10
  27. May 29, 2015
    What I especially liked in the campaign was the fact that player had to develop more isles over a period of time, which requires more planning and strategy, because consequences of past decisions lead to success or failure in present. Definitve a fun factor for me.
    As for multiplayer, the players compete to accomplish various goals and whoever has the more points in the end, wins. Players can use armies to attack each other to slow down their progress, but main focus is building and economy. There are more multiplayer modes, but the one mentioned is the best fun. Game speed is swift enough to finish the match in reasonable time.
    Mini-DLCs are nice - if a slightly expensive - addition and come usually with a new map, costume, building, random events and a challenging scenario.
    Oh, and you can finally produce something (cars, electronics) from the bauxite!

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Solid, engaging campaign is full of humor and shines especially during the Cold War era, but unfortunately fades in the modern period. [08/2014, p.75]
  2. Aug 11, 2014
    Dictator sim Tropico 5 offers a good strategy experience that is fairly easy to get into, compared with many of its competitors. The colorful graphics and music sets a nice tropical island tone and occasional laughs can be had due to the funny dialogue. However, compared with the best in the genre, Tropico 5 feels a bit monotonous at times, in particular towards the end of a round.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    As a total package, it's a great starting point for new players. Gameplay mechanics like diplomacy have been simplified, so it's pretty easy to understand for newcomers.