7.2

1. May 23, 2014
    Real interesting game. I engoy it so much. not better then tropico 3, but real good.Presedente is so funny.
    There are alot of interesting things and funny videos
  2. May 24, 2014
    There is no doubt about it, and this is the best game ever created. The game is beautiful and plays excellent on every system ever made. I'm playing it on an Amiga right now. Some people are upset because they can't afford the game but if they took that time to give blood a few times they'd find out anything is possible. God bless Tropico. Long live El Presidente!
  3. May 23, 2014
    Great game, dark humor as usual and with a great city building system and with a great multiplier system, in my opinion best Tropico game yet, i recommend this game
  4. May 25, 2014
    Really great game. Really love and enjoy it. A great Sequel of the older Tropico Parts with the old charm.
    A Must-Have for every Simulation and Tropico-Fan
  5. May 26, 2014
    Campaign a bit buggy, save games also buggy, but the game is still a lot of fun. I love this game and even named my dog Penultimo. Deserved a review, thanks for this incredible masterpiece.
  6. May 25, 2014
    Tropico 5 is definitely not like the others, for one, it's built off DirectX 11 (Which they should have used OpenGL for it since they plan on making it cross-platform), it's definitely more challenging to get in to, starting in the colonial era and keeping up with your mandate is no easy feat just starting out.

Multiplayer for it is fun, definitely, but until they implement multiplayer
    saves this is something you should avoid because unless you complete the multiplayer game (which co-op games really have no end unless you specify one) you don't get to keep any dynasty benefits or anything like that you gain.

They updated the graphics quite a lot and using DX11 and it's heavy texture compression they were able to keep the game down to a reasonable size, doesn't eat up hard drive space.

The one big thing I enjoy about this is the road system. It properly snaps to a grid this time around so you don't have to worry about accidentally making crooked roads which screw up your layout long-term

The addition of managers is also really cool, being able to give buildings individual benefits, or benefits in a radius around the building the manager is assigned to depending on your specialty.

Overall the game gets a 10 from me, I would give them lower but all the issues at present I have a problem with are being fixed. So no worries there.
  7. May 26, 2014
    Pretty awesome for a sequel, even though the gameplay mechanics are similar to other Tropico Series.

Most buildings now have an "efficiency" value that can be boosted by upgrades, managers, and the Presidente skills. This is especially noticeable in relation to farms, where multiple nearby farms may boost each other's productivity, while nearby cattle farms may apply additional boosts
    to all nearby farms. Goat farms on other hand receive boosts from the number of nearby farms. This system seems to make agriculture a much more viable option, I had some farms working at 250% efficiency.

A lot of game buildings got simplified, for example mines are placed in a cave in a hillside (no more free placement), farms come with a large rectangle of land defined where crops would be grown. Fishing now collects fish from distinct fish nodes located around the island.

Probably the biggest change is the need to discover different technology during one of 4 eras - for example you cannot build mines right from the start, but need to research them after building a library. Same with different edicts - stuff like Social Security requires quite a lot of research during world war era. I feel like research adds more depth and specialization to islands in this version of Tropico.

In terms of single player, it seems that the game is focused around two islands, one agricultural, another industrial that are taken through different eras (colonial, world war, etc). I have not completed the campaign yet, but I think it's a better alternative than starting 10 different islands from scratch - your previous decisions count in subsequent missions.

Overall, a fun game with a lot of humor preserved.
  8. May 30, 2014
    If your on the fence about getting this game get it. It's after I've played all of the Tropico games (with the exception of 2 I believe which didn't come out on the PC for some reason..) What's cool about this game is: 1 Trade routes. - If you like to play sandbox the game is so much better. You run out of resources, and what's cool now is you can set up trade agreements at different prices to import/export. And in order to make good money and have your buildings function you will need to import. 2 Multiplayer adds a nice touch; it's not my #1 in a Tropico game, but it's a nice side thing to do when you want to goof around with other dictators. :) 3 The research trees are nice; they could be more detailed, but they are a nice addition. 4 Some of the buildings were NOT available in Tropico 4 without buying Tropico 4 modern times, yet they are in 5 such as modern apartments, offices, etc. 5 Your dynasty is just that. You eventually will have more rulers in your dynasty and you can level them up with enough $$$, and they have different skills.. 6 There are a LOT of managers with different skills. You get them via people attending colleges. You can then assign them to buildings. 7 The islands are decent size, AND random maps can be generated just like in T4. 8 This game is selling much more than Tropico 4 did. Does it mean it's better? No, it means that you will have people to play with in multiplayer mode, and the game is pretty good. I liked 4, but like 5 more. The options in sandbox with trading after you've researched everything are nice.. I used to get bored in Tropico 4 in sandbox because once you have a lot of money it seemed pointless; this is not the case in Tropico 5 with resources running out and the need for trade. Two thumbs up. :) Expand
  9. May 26, 2014
    I am not one to post reviews, but after playing one game of Tropico 5, I really felt the need to express my opinion on this game which has brought me genuine enjoyment. The game feels balanced between fun and challenging - a very hard factor to balance. Previous versions of Tropico were just a bit too easy, often I would reach a point where it became impossible to lose, but in Tropico 5 I am constantly kept awake because at any moment I could lose everything. I tried the democratic route but that gave the people options over me which meant I couldn't play - I was forced into Dictatorship in order to continue playing - so now I'm a bad guy and it feels right. I also enjoy the slow progression through the ages, to see things evolve over time develops a strong sense of progress, I hope they continue this trend in future versions and even extend it further into history.

My only nitpick as of now is the fact I can see what buildings and technologies I can uncover in the future, I would prefer that to also be in the fog, just as it should be, its always nice to get surprises. Revealing what's coming from the get go takes that surprise element away.

Anyway, good job, great game.
  10. May 28, 2014
    For some reason it's always environmentalists and religious people who end up hating me - it's been that way since the release of Tropico 3 and it will hopefully stay that way 'till Tropico 10.
    The game's humor is fantastic, I had great fun with just the tutorial even though I am a master dictator from the previous titles already. I expect to have much fun with this in the future, because
    once the very well known "20-fun-hours" are over, and the game is out of new puns and jokes, the citybuilding part kicks in, which is again, very good. it's 9/10 because not all of the text during tutorial and campaign has voice acting. Expand
  11. Jun 3, 2014
    I find this game a lot of fun and a must buy if you're into the city building genre. The era system gives it a Civilization feel to it, unlocking more stuff as you progress. The game runs great too, no game breaking bugs or anything like that. I highly recommend it.
  12. May 29, 2014
    Tropico 4 has always been my guilty pleasure to play when I've found a moment to spare. It let's you be creative and strategic and the latin music is so addictive. My only complaint was the length of the game always seemed so short, I felt I just got going and wham done. Tropico 5 completely fixes this however, there is this mechanic where it switches you between islands randomly for different objectives. At first I was not happy when I was just starting to get into my one island to have it switch to another but eventually I learned to enjoy it as it takes you back and let's you really juggle multiple islands and objectives at once. Try turning your beautiful environment friendly island into a military compound to keep out invaders. It adds a whole new level of strategy that truly does not get old. I actually don't understand some other reviews that say the buildings look similar, I've found that the buildings are in general prettier and easier to work with to create a sprawling city center with. Expand
  13. May 30, 2014
    Another fantastic addition to the series. An improvement on all previous games. Really enjoying it. If you loved the previous titles (or just love city builders) then this is for you.

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Solid, engaging campaign is full of humor and shines especially during the Cold War era, but unfortunately fades in the modern period. [08/2014, p.75]
  2. Aug 11, 2014
    Dictator sim Tropico 5 offers a good strategy experience that is fairly easy to get into, compared with many of its competitors. The colorful graphics and music sets a nice tropical island tone and occasional laughs can be had due to the funny dialogue. However, compared with the best in the genre, Tropico 5 feels a bit monotonous at times, in particular towards the end of a round.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    As a total package, it's a great starting point for new players. Gameplay mechanics like diplomacy have been simplified, so it's pretty easy to understand for newcomers.