UFO: Aftermath PC

6.0

1. Sep 7, 2014
    UFO After series took it upon it's shoulders to continue the legacy of XCOM Ufo Defense.
    As the commander of Earth's Remaining forces you fight to take earth back from the Aliens known as the Reticulans. Aftermath has a quasi-real time battle mechanic with an active pause and the ability to queue up multiple orders. On the global map you can do research, manage your troops, with a pretty well fleshed out leveling system and intercept UFOs.
    It's definately not as good as XCOM or it's 2011 re-imagining but it's an interesting position to try out. Altar Games went on to create two more installments of the game and good on them, since Aftershock and Afterlight were noticeably superior to this one. Unfortunately mechanics here are clunky, the game gets unfairly difficult WAY too fast and longer sittings can turn into boring chores. With all that in mind Aftermath is a decent albeit flawed first attempt at an XCOM successor. It's definately worth a playthrough as the music, the atmosphere and the overall feeling of the game give it more of an X-Files vibe.
  2. Quike
    Feb 13, 2004
    I think the game is ok, but it should be great with more, development, I mean, more complexity, more administrations features, like money, base administration... and so. I have heard that some people are making a remake of the original UFO, something called project Xenocide.
  3. GrahamB.
    Feb 6, 2006
    A nice easy game which, after loading patch, gives a good frustration free gaming experience. One you can play the game "when my man dies he stays dead" instead of being scared to lose a good soldier. Entertaining without being too taxing.
  4. Miroslav
    Oct 14, 2003
    Gameplay is good, but it lacks many things original XCom had... I wander why games in the past were more complex than today's games? Really...
  5. DavidJ.
    Mar 14, 2004
    UFO: Aftermath is an interesting game unto itself. As an XCOM ?mock? sequel it slightly falls short of the mark, albeit a hard target to pin. There is no micromanagement, no money, and no base design. Only some minor macro management on a global scale exists. The combat system is improved and yet lack-luster. The map is not fully destructible, and buildings are not accessible. I miss UFO: Aftermath is an interesting game unto itself. As an XCOM ?mock? sequel it slightly falls short of the mark, albeit a hard target to pin. There is no micromanagement, no money, and no base design. Only some minor macro management on a global scale exists. The combat system is improved and yet lack-luster. The map is not fully destructible, and buildings are not accessible. I miss launching missiles through a window, door, and stairs to rest in the belly of an extraterrestrial bastard thus spraying his alien guts on the faces of my soldiers. Taste victory yet? However, there are loads of weapons and research available, a good sound track, nice graphics, and plenty of aliens. Also, soldier experience and training have been improved. For what it is, a stand-alone game, I give it a 7, enjoyable, yet not a worthy XCOM successor. Expand
    Oct 15, 2003
    Actually I would have given the game 0 as rating, but the intentions of the game made me give it a score of 5.
  7. ManuR.
    Dec 10, 2003
    es u juego bastante bueno, tiene sus detalles pero es como todos, interfaz amigable, graficos bastante buenos, una buena remasterizacion de X-com: enemigo desconocido.
  8. Dec 14, 2015
    It's another XCOM remake, with a unique mechanics mixing turn-based and real-time combat which turns out to not work really well. Also, bad design of maps and especially the maze-like alien base layouts spoil it.
    Unlike in other turn-based games, there is no "turns" here. Instead, you give queues of orders to soldiers, and until a queue is complete or an enemy is seen, the game proceeds in real time, and then pauses until you give a new order to a soldier. In practice, this means that after you see an enemy alien (and it sees your soldier), both you and the alien start firing their weapon at each other non-stop. And since most aliens are bigger, have more hitpoints and do more damage than your soldiers, you can't defeat them in close combat, no matter from what side you approach them. The only tactics which works best is to make all soldiers snipers, and equip sniper rifles, to shoot enemies from afar while they run towards you to get into their firing range. Also, the auto-pause becomes annoying while you run around seeking for enemies. The real-time/turn-based blend works much better in Jagged Alliance 2 (the game runs in turn-based mode only when you are in combat, and in real-time while out of combat).

1. I wanted a great deal to love this game. X-Com, after all, owned me. UFOA throws few surprises your way, resulting in monotony...The game is good, but with a little more depth and clarity it could have achieved greatness.
    While Aftermath isn't a bad game, and certainly has some wonderful and fun ideas, it just doesn't compare to other squad based tactical games I've played lately like "Silent Storm" (turn-based) or "Commandos 3" (real-time).
  3. If you’ve ever been excited by Sculder and Mully, or terrified by hydrocephalic children, there’s a game for you. It’s not pretty and it’s not perfect, but we’re so glad it’s there.