Uplink: Hacker Elite PC

8.2

1. BobbyP.
    Dec 22, 2007
    While this game is certainly a bit older, it still has great appeal. The simplistic graphics make it the perfect laptop game for those boring moments between college classes, and I can still hop on at home, and play for hours on end, trying to milk bank accounts and topple mega corporations. It's highly addicting, and I love it!
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    Simply amazing. It's rare to see a game based off being a hacker that pulls it off well but Uplink is one of them. From call bouncing to sabotages uplink will keep you immersed for a very long time. Even if you only want to play one mission you'll be four or five down the road before you remember why you needed to stop.
  3. DanielW.
    May 21, 2008
    Incredible game, great replay value, and it's available on steam. The only problem some people may have is how it works, and how they can trace you down, even after disconnecting. However, this is what gives it such great replay value. You play, you learn more, you beat the system.
  4. Aug 8, 2011
    Introversion Software's games are not to be underestimated, Uplink is a good example. This game can be replayable with different missions, tools, and locations each time you start a new game. Try this game out, you won't regret it.
  5. KF
    Sep 25, 2006
    I love this game.
  6. GrzegorzS.
    Sep 8, 2006
    This is a super game! Really the best hacking simulation that I've played.
  7. CraigC.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Although Uplink doesn't have amazing graphics, it has tremendous gameplay offering immersion, tension and fast thinking. Really gets the adrenaline flowing.
  8. EricW.
    Oct 6, 2006
    An older game that has finally seen the publicity that it deserves. I first played uplink when it had just come out and I am still playing it to this day. I just love the fact that you can go so far beyond the "hacking" by buying and building new computer systems. If you like the way suspense feels, then this game is for you.
  9. gravytrain
    Dec 4, 2007
    With all the FPS garbage out there....this is a breath of fresh air, especially for anyone that's a little on the older side of the gaming scene.
  10. MarkP.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Uplink is the most unique and satisfying game I have played in a long time. Something new and refreshing that I have not seen in MMO's, RPGs, FPS games and the rest. This game will remain fun for years to come. I can see a lot of potential if this was to be made into a MMO.
  11. RyanE.
    Apr 24, 2008
    It's always fun to (pretend to) break the law. It misses the 'oh shit, the CIA is after me' factor of hacking, but that can't really be emulated. fun while it lasts.
  12. EdTheRabbit
    Aug 2, 2008
    Don't play this in your office - they don't like it when you tell them you're trashing a rival's mainframe - truly brilliant, a gameplay over SFX formula that we should see more often.
  13. JimF.
    Jul 25, 2009
    Though the gameplay eventually becomes somewhat repetitive, and the story arc begins too late in the game, this game is most definitely, and by far, the best 'hacking" game out there.
  14. YukonD.
    Jan 26, 2010
    One of the Best games i have ever played. It is Gripping and suspenseful. Those Last moments where the tracer timer is ticking, your trying to change someone's criminal records really count. Every time is a new experience, and the game never gets old. Those last few seconds, where your heart is pounding, your mind is racing, you know you have to get out or your going to be caught are One of the Best games i have ever played. It is Gripping and suspenseful. Those Last moments where the tracer timer is ticking, your trying to change someone's criminal records really count. Every time is a new experience, and the game never gets old. Those last few seconds, where your heart is pounding, your mind is racing, you know you have to get out or your going to be caught are the best moments in the game. Thrilling and one of a kind. As PC Gamer said, this game is truely a stroke of genious. Introversion Software have truely outdone themselves with a game equally entertaining, if not more, than the award winning game Darwinia. I haven't even got to the end, this game is as long as it is suspenseful. Buy it, it was definitely worth it. P.S. If you want to save, go into the Uplink folder, users, and copy the (Insert Name here).usr and .tmp files to a backup folder. It probably wasn't intended to be done that way, but you can save. This game is, by far, one of the best games in the world. Expand
  15. AcidIce
    Nov 8, 2002
    SUPERB GAME!!! i have spent ouhers completing the dome again and again its really cool even tho theres not much grafic in it. ONE TO BUY!!!
  16. DanM.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Just incredible such a simple game but so fun and addicting.
  17. BillW.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Challenging and addicting game. Very nicely done and original compared to the plethora of FPS/RTS/Sports games that come out anymore.
  18. ThomasF.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I was a bit disappointed from the demo (I didn't get it really what and how to do) but I bought it and I adore it... It does collect the flair of the hacker movies and it gives you the feeling to be a big part in the hacker scene.
  19. AlexM.
    Jul 30, 2007
    An amazing game, it has a theme and a goal, accomplishes them, and stops before getting bogged down. More games should follow this example of focusing on game play, without getting hung on graphics.
  20. HarveyB.
    Jan 23, 2008
    A fantastic game - in-depth plot, great gameplay and a lot of scope for replaying the game. Add to that the sheer inventiveness of the title, and the support features offered by the dev. team and you've got a brilliant game!
  21. CharlesC.
    Mar 26, 2008
    It takes a while to really "get it" but once you do its quite engrossing. You are always on the verge of losing, something a lot of games don't do much anymore. Fear of starting over from the beginning encourages you to step careful and thus the atmosphere of the setting is created.
  22. LouB.
    Aug 24, 2006
    Excellent, so simple, and yet so captivating. I wish all games were this original. I love it.
  23. JeremyM.
    Feb 21, 2007
    A thinking game full of adrenaline moments. It is an older game, but the play value isn't based on graphics. This game is solid, addictive, and will have you singing its praises in no time flat.
  24. MikeM.
    Mar 11, 2008
    There's something eerily intoxicating about the atmosphere of a cyberpunk game - connected to the world, but isolated and alone in your own, little way. Uplink disguises itself as a real 'hacker interface', its simplicity drawing you in and its Deus Ex-like charm keeping you glued to its hazy, frightening premise.
  25. KronTheMad
    May 16, 2009
    This is a great game but I question the need for the repackaging... yes thats right this is a seriously old game, giving it a new UI and bundling it on steam seems to be all it took to get noticed. I first played it in '98. ....wonder if I can still make my own boards?
  26. Nov 28, 2011
    I bought this game on a whim, and I can say up front that I am extremely happy that I did. It is an interesting and certainly novel gameplay experience. PROS: The game starts you off with simple hacks that involve logging into low-security systems and either deleting or stealing files. As you complete more hacks from the Uplink bulletin board, you are offered more interesting butI bought this game on a whim, and I can say up front that I am extremely happy that I did. It is an interesting and certainly novel gameplay experience. PROS: The game starts you off with simple hacks that involve logging into low-security systems and either deleting or stealing files. As you complete more hacks from the Uplink bulletin board, you are offered more interesting but (naturally) more precarious jobs: changing government records, stealing research data, falsifying documents, and so on. Each successful hack earns you cash that you can use to upgrade your hardware and software, which allows you to pull off more difficult jobs and makes the hacks youâ Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2011
    Surprisingly fun, addictive, and immersive hacking simulator. The more you play, the more intellectually stimulating it gets. Uplink rewards experimentation in ways that few games, if any, have been able to, negating the downsides of a sparse tutorial and relatively steep learning curve. At a certain point, the repetitiveness of missions can kill the immersion and become tedious, butSurprisingly fun, addictive, and immersive hacking simulator. The more you play, the more intellectually stimulating it gets. Uplink rewards experimentation in ways that few games, if any, have been able to, negating the downsides of a sparse tutorial and relatively steep learning curve. At a certain point, the repetitiveness of missions can kill the immersion and become tedious, but that's why there are numerous things to do on the side, such as play and manipulate the stock market. Uplink does what it does so well that it is difficult to come up with substantial criticisms. I picked this game up for cheap on a whim and I would not have regretted paying more for it. Expand
  28. Oct 5, 2013
    would be perfect but plays slow when you start out except that no problems exiting innovative and my review needs to be 150 characters long so now i am just typing random stuff good bye
  29. BrianC.
    Oct 2, 2006
    This game is simply outstanding... it takes a little while to get used to, and don't even think of skipping the tutorial... but once you get the hang of it, and you're skilled enough to hack police records and banks, it turns in to a game you're happy to play well into the morning... the only thing that's stopping me from giving it a 10 is the fact there aren't This game is simply outstanding... it takes a little while to get used to, and don't even think of skipping the tutorial... but once you get the hang of it, and you're skilled enough to hack police records and banks, it turns in to a game you're happy to play well into the morning... the only thing that's stopping me from giving it a 10 is the fact there aren't many story-line missions, and doing the non story missions gets a bit repetitive after a while... but still the best £6.50 ($9.99) i've spent in a long time. Expand
  30. SonnyJ.
    Aug 29, 2006
    This game is quite amazing. Sure, it doesn't have a big flashy engine with fancy bump-mapping and dynamic lighting, but it has a gameplay concept that is executed perfectly. It also has an element of stress involved with looking down at the bottom of your screen and seeing that you only have seconds left to do what you need to do! I rank this game among the best i've seen.
  31. SimonO.
    Sep 9, 2007
    I really wanted to give this a 10, my only quibble was I got too far into it too fast. :/ But it has replay value. I have to say it is not often a game comes along which is fresh and interesting rather then following the mold. So cherish this game! :) Would be nice to have an online version that you could fight it out against others on the net.
    May 29, 2002
    It's a whole new idea and is really cool.
  33. DavidE.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Quite a chair tipping game, but while it has its strong points it does lack a few features that would make it a bit more user friendly. Over all a very good game.
  34. NapsterA.
    Jan 18, 2004
    VERY very,very,very,very good game you can not only have it on mac or windows, but on linux too!!! it is practically a pc on a pc (or mac on mac. it even boots up!you may do your own hacking or do missions to earn credits to upgrade your computer! Overall, id give it a 101 great game.
  35. May 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started this game and could not stop playing until I had beaten it. It's very engaging - partially because of how great a job it does at immersing you in the world it envisions (through stylistic, yet sometimes inefficient, UI and old-school music), but also because of how the actions required to beat challenges take quite a bit ofThis review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started this game and could not stop playing until I had beaten it. It's very engaging - partially because of how great a job it does at immersing you in the world it envisions (through stylistic, yet sometimes inefficient, UI and old-school music), but also because of how the actions required to beat challenges take quite a bit of focus. First of all, the atmosphere in this game is phenomenal. It's certainly intended to be more of a simulation of Hollywood-esque hacking than real life, so if you suspend your disbelief and let yourself slip into that context, it works. The interface is a bit clunky and slow, but that's part of the challenge - you're dealing with old-style computer systems. Second, the gameplay is actually more akin to an FPS than a strategy game - this is because, once you figure out the optimal actions to take to complete any given hacking challenge, it's just a matter of performing all those actions quickly enough and not making mistakes. In that regard, it's pretty engaging . And, as your learning the right actions, it'll challenge your problem solving skills. The main reasons why I didn't give this game a perfect score: Many of the challenges are hard to figure out without using a guide, and not fun because of that. For example, for the "destroy a person's life" missions, you have to somehow figure out that you need to give them 2 random crimes AND another crime that ends with "Parole", and only then can you authorize their arrest. Second, this game feels kind of time-wastery. True, most games are, but I really just felt like I didn't improve myself at all after playing this game - it didn't challenge my creativity, teach me a skill, improve my ability to work with others (it's single-player). That's definitely a tough thing to achieve with a game, but I'm really looking for that for a game to get a perfect score - being fun while beneficial. It definitely does provide you with moments of flow (if you get into it), which is certainly beneficial, though there's many more productive activities that can also do that. Expand

1. While a very nice and original concept, Uplink will only appeal to a select few.
  2. A fairly satisfying gaming experience... that goes for deeper strategy – actual gameplay! – rather than a flashy package.
  3. A unique game that is definitely worth a look by anyone looking for a gaming change of pace. Its long term appeal is questionable, though.