Uplink: Hacker Elite PC

8.2

1. JookyM.
    Aug 4, 2002
    This is very fun and addictive. Immersive hacker simulation. You get to upgrade your gateway computers with dual-100 gigahertz processors 500 gigs of memory and 20 gig modems. I wish they had those for real.
  2. MasonE.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Honestly a great game if you want to get out of the normal FPS and flashy games on Steam. Incredible gameplay. Introversion Software got off on a good start with an above average game. Though, it can become quite boring after several hours, and it has an incredibly steep learning curve. This game is not for the non-intelligent. You will be scratching your head when you are stuck in an Honestly a great game if you want to get out of the normal FPS and flashy games on Steam. Incredible gameplay. Introversion Software got off on a good start with an above average game. Though, it can become quite boring after several hours, and it has an incredibly steep learning curve. This game is not for the non-intelligent. You will be scratching your head when you are stuck in an almost impossible mission. If you are looking for an original game, this is the one for you. But, if you are the kind that wants more action and does not like to think, pass and find a game that suits you. Expand
  3. KF
    Sep 25, 2006
    I love this game.
  4. GrzegorzS.
    Sep 8, 2006
    This is a super game! Really the best hacking simulation that I've played.
  5. CraigC.
    Apr 8, 2008
    Although Uplink doesn't have amazing graphics, it has tremendous gameplay offering immersion, tension and fast thinking. Really gets the adrenaline flowing.
  6. DanielW.
    May 21, 2008
    Incredible game, great replay value, and it's available on steam. The only problem some people may have is how it works, and how they can trace you down, even after disconnecting. However, this is what gives it such great replay value. You play, you learn more, you beat the system.
  7. BrianC.
    Oct 2, 2006
    This game is simply outstanding... it takes a little while to get used to, and don't even think of skipping the tutorial... but once you get the hang of it, and you're skilled enough to hack police records and banks, it turns in to a game you're happy to play well into the morning... the only thing that's stopping me from giving it a 10 is the fact there aren't This game is simply outstanding... it takes a little while to get used to, and don't even think of skipping the tutorial... but once you get the hang of it, and you're skilled enough to hack police records and banks, it turns in to a game you're happy to play well into the morning... the only thing that's stopping me from giving it a 10 is the fact there aren't many story-line missions, and doing the non story missions gets a bit repetitive after a while... but still the best £6.50 ($9.99) i've spent in a long time. Collapse
  8. EricW.
    Oct 6, 2006
    An older game that has finally seen the publicity that it deserves. I first played uplink when it had just come out and I am still playing it to this day. I just love the fact that you can go so far beyond the "hacking" by buying and building new computer systems. If you like the way suspense feels, then this game is for you.
  9. SonnyJ.
    Aug 29, 2006
    This game is quite amazing. Sure, it doesn't have a big flashy engine with fancy bump-mapping and dynamic lighting, but it has a gameplay concept that is executed perfectly. It also has an element of stress involved with looking down at the bottom of your screen and seeing that you only have seconds left to do what you need to do! I rank this game among the best i've seen.
  10. gravytrain
    Dec 4, 2007
    With all the FPS garbage out there....this is a breath of fresh air, especially for anyone that's a little on the older side of the gaming scene.
  11. SimonO.
    Sep 9, 2007
    I really wanted to give this a 10, my only quibble was I got too far into it too fast. :/ But it has replay value. I have to say it is not often a game comes along which is fresh and interesting rather then following the mold. So cherish this game! :) Would be nice to have an online version that you could fight it out against others on the net.
  12. TylerB.
    Jan 16, 2008
    While it seems to repeat itself plenty, Uplink provides a few hours of unique fun, filling a niche that isn't filled often.
  13. MarkP.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Uplink is the most unique and satisfying game I have played in a long time. Something new and refreshing that I have not seen in MMO's, RPGs, FPS games and the rest. This game will remain fun for years to come. I can see a lot of potential if this was to be made into a MMO.
  14. RyanE.
    Apr 24, 2008
    It's always fun to (pretend to) break the law. It misses the 'oh shit, the CIA is after me' factor of hacking, but that can't really be emulated. fun while it lasts.
  15. EdTheRabbit
    Aug 2, 2008
    Don't play this in your office - they don't like it when you tell them you're trashing a rival's mainframe - truly brilliant, a gameplay over SFX formula that we should see more often.
  16. JimF.
    Jul 25, 2009
    Though the gameplay eventually becomes somewhat repetitive, and the story arc begins too late in the game, this game is most definitely, and by far, the best 'hacking" game out there.
  17. YukonD.
    Jan 26, 2010
    One of the Best games i have ever played. It is Gripping and suspenseful. Those Last moments where the tracer timer is ticking, your trying to change someone's criminal records really count. Every time is a new experience, and the game never gets old. Those last few seconds, where your heart is pounding, your mind is racing, you know you have to get out or your going to be caught are One of the Best games i have ever played. It is Gripping and suspenseful. Those Last moments where the tracer timer is ticking, your trying to change someone's criminal records really count. Every time is a new experience, and the game never gets old. Those last few seconds, where your heart is pounding, your mind is racing, you know you have to get out or your going to be caught are the best moments in the game. Thrilling and one of a kind. As PC Gamer said, this game is truely a stroke of genious. Introversion Software have truely outdone themselves with a game equally entertaining, if not more, than the award winning game Darwinia. I haven't even got to the end, this game is as long as it is suspenseful. Buy it, it was definitely worth it. P.S. If you want to save, go into the Uplink folder, users, and copy the (Insert Name here).usr and .tmp files to a backup folder. It probably wasn't intended to be done that way, but you can save. This game is, by far, one of the best games in the world. Expand
  18. AcidIce
    Nov 8, 2002
    SUPERB GAME!!! i have spent ouhers completing the dome again and again its really cool even tho theres not much grafic in it. ONE TO BUY!!!
    May 29, 2002
    It's a whole new idea and is really cool.
  20. DanM.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Just incredible such a simple game but so fun and addicting.
  21. BillW.
    Dec 7, 2006
    Challenging and addicting game. Very nicely done and original compared to the plethora of FPS/RTS/Sports games that come out anymore.
  22. BobbyP.
    Dec 22, 2007
    While this game is certainly a bit older, it still has great appeal. The simplistic graphics make it the perfect laptop game for those boring moments between college classes, and I can still hop on at home, and play for hours on end, trying to milk bank accounts and topple mega corporations. It's highly addicting, and I love it!
  23. Bruno
    Oct 22, 2007
    Are you guys serious? This is one of the most boring games ive ever played. I mean it's worth $10 as if that hint isn't obvious it's extremely non-interactive boring and repetitive.
  24. DavidE.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Quite a chair tipping game, but while it has its strong points it does lack a few features that would make it a bit more user friendly. Over all a very good game.
  25. ThomasF.
    Apr 8, 2007
    I was a bit disappointed from the demo (I didn't get it really what and how to do) but I bought it and I adore it... It does collect the flair of the hacker movies and it gives you the feeling to be a big part in the hacker scene.
  26. AlexM.
    Jul 30, 2007
    An amazing game, it has a theme and a goal, accomplishes them, and stops before getting bogged down. More games should follow this example of focusing on game play, without getting hung on graphics.
  27. HarveyB.
    Jan 23, 2008
    A fantastic game - in-depth plot, great gameplay and a lot of scope for replaying the game. Add to that the sheer inventiveness of the title, and the support features offered by the dev. team and you've got a brilliant game!
  28. CharlesC.
    Mar 26, 2008
    It takes a while to really "get it" but once you do its quite engrossing. You are always on the verge of losing, something a lot of games don't do much anymore. Fear of starting over from the beginning encourages you to step careful and thus the atmosphere of the setting is created.
  29. ChristopherP.
    May 11, 2008
    This game carries an innovative and exciting concept, but the execution is grossly off. Most guilty is the interface: there are quite a few strange quirks in entering information, for instance, requiring the mouse cursor to constantly be within the field you're entering information in, or it will be deselected. You'll spend most of the game entering information, so this bizarre This game carries an innovative and exciting concept, but the execution is grossly off. Most guilty is the interface: there are quite a few strange quirks in entering information, for instance, requiring the mouse cursor to constantly be within the field you're entering information in, or it will be deselected. You'll spend most of the game entering information, so this bizarre interface error gets annoying very fast. At resolutions above 640x480 the text and buttons are uncomfortably small, barring the player from playing at more attractive high resolutions. Then comes the basic gameplay, which sounds exciting at first due to the entertaining concept, but in practice is tedious and pointless. You'll start by simply hacking passwords and performing basic tasks like copying and deleting information. As you "rank up", you'll get access to more advanced missions e. g. editing profiles and databases. Starting with cracking passwords is horribly dreary; rather than actually using thought to find the password yourself, you use a tool and select the password field, and the crack will eventually find the password. No, it's not fun. Hacking and editing databases can be fun for a while; going through lists of information and creating queries to find a specific entry and altering it somehow while you have the threat of being traced is modestly fun. The huge problem is, however, is that tasks like these encompass almost the entire game, and there is a very thin list of tasks to accomplish. You'll be tediously working through mission after identical mission to earn the right to partake in large-scale scenarios with a goal that takes some skill and thought to reach. These are the only worthwhile reasons to play the game, with your requiring advanced tools such as voice recorders, decoders and IP apps. Unfortunately, it takes an excessive time commitment to reach these scenarios. In the meantime you'll be clicking dozens of password fields and altering information ad nauseam. Other quibbles include an unnecessary "upgrade" system that forces the player to buy expensive new equipment before being able to perform another mission with or without the rank required also hurt the experience. Also, when you're "caught", it's game over and your save file is deleted, which I assume is to increase the intensity and fear of being caught. This can be worked around by just copying it from the save folder when you want to, but for a game that offers so little reward for so much monotonous work, it's cruel to force the player to work through the multitude of horrendously boring introductory missions again because of a single mistake. Also well worth noting is the method of covering your tracks by deleting IP logs, and this design choice doesn't seem to show any purpose. After every mission or attempted mission there will be logs where you were. These logs have to be deleted to prevent you from being traced. What this means is you'll be revisiting certain places both yours and foreign solely to click your log deleter then a log in a list, often with a dozen or more individual logs, and you'll have to do this very frequently. A game focused on a fictional portrayal of hacking is a terrifically exciting concept, but because this game suffers from a frustrating interface, poor pacing, lack of variety, and poor design choices, the concept's potential is unfulfilled. Not recommended, even to indie game fans. Expand
  30. NapsterA.
    Jan 18, 2004
    VERY very,very,very,very good game you can not only have it on mac or windows, but on linux too!!! it is practically a pc on a pc (or mac on mac. it even boots up!you may do your own hacking or do missions to earn credits to upgrade your computer! Overall, id give it a 101 great game.
  31. LouB.
    Aug 24, 2006
    Excellent, so simple, and yet so captivating. I wish all games were this original. I love it.
  32. JeremyM.
    Feb 21, 2007
    A thinking game full of adrenaline moments. It is an older game, but the play value isn't based on graphics. This game is solid, addictive, and will have you singing its praises in no time flat.
  33. MikeM.
    Mar 11, 2008
    There's something eerily intoxicating about the atmosphere of a cyberpunk game - connected to the world, but isolated and alone in your own, little way. Uplink disguises itself as a real 'hacker interface', its simplicity drawing you in and its Deus Ex-like charm keeping you glued to its hazy, frightening premise.
  34. KronTheMad
    May 16, 2009
    This is a great game but I question the need for the repackaging... yes thats right this is a seriously old game, giving it a new UI and bundling it on steam seems to be all it took to get noticed. I first played it in '98. ....wonder if I can still make my own boards?
  35. Feb 17, 2011
    This hollywood style hacking game is a must play for those that have a curiosity for computer espionage. Yes, it is quite an old game that has been around long before its release on Steam and the graphics are just plain non-existant, but the Linux command line interface brings old school hacking to the comfort of your home, without the adverse affects. Once you figure out how to do most ofThis hollywood style hacking game is a must play for those that have a curiosity for computer espionage. Yes, it is quite an old game that has been around long before its release on Steam and the graphics are just plain non-existant, but the Linux command line interface brings old school hacking to the comfort of your home, without the adverse affects. Once you figure out how to do most of the missions, the fun factor wears down pretty quickly, but figuring out everything on your own is not as easy as you might think. It's highly addicting for the first several hours. Expand
  36. Aug 8, 2011
    Introversion Software's games are not to be underestimated, Uplink is a good example. This game can be replayable with different missions, tools, and locations each time you start a new game. Try this game out, you won't regret it.
  37. Jan 24, 2014
    For an old GUI game, Uplink is painfully clever, engaging and addicting, despite how simplistic it is. It even manages to give the player a feeling of being sneaky or paranoid without going overboard in doing so. It really makes players feel like truly hacking things.

There is one large problem with the game however, and it's that it leaves you high and dry on what to do, which can lead you to a lot of permanent game over screens. You'll have to look up guides on the internet to fully understand things, as the game doesn't do that for you.
  38. Nov 28, 2011
    I bought this game on a whim, and I can say up front that I am extremely happy that I did. It is an interesting and certainly novel gameplay experience. PROS: The game starts you off with simple hacks that involve logging into low-security systems and either deleting or stealing files. As you complete more hacks from the Uplink bulletin board, you are offered more interesting butI bought this game on a whim, and I can say up front that I am extremely happy that I did. It is an interesting and certainly novel gameplay experience. PROS: The game starts you off with simple hacks that involve logging into low-security systems and either deleting or stealing files. As you complete more hacks from the Uplink bulletin board, you are offered more interesting but (naturally) more precarious jobs: changing government records, stealing research data, falsifying documents, and so on. Each successful hack earns you cash that you can use to upgrade your hardware and software, which allows you to pull off more difficult jobs and makes the hacks youâ Expand
  39. Jan 25, 2012
    Uplink is a very interesting game that fills a much needed gap in genres. Hacking simulation games are rare, and this one fulfills that need beautifully. You are placed in front of a terminal from the very beginning. The tutorial helps you get started without any problems, and once you complete your first few missions, you will understand how to use the basics. The music gets a littleUplink is a very interesting game that fills a much needed gap in genres. Hacking simulation games are rare, and this one fulfills that need beautifully. You are placed in front of a terminal from the very beginning. The tutorial helps you get started without any problems, and once you complete your first few missions, you will understand how to use the basics. The music gets a little repetitive after many hours of play, but does not become a distraction or an annoyance. If you prefer, you can turn it off in the settings. The complexity of Uplink comes from the various missions as well as the many hardware and software changes and upgrades you are allowed to make. Some of the early missions can be a bit confusing, but after a few tries you realize what you did wrong, and will be able to complete them without any problems. The setting of the game is somewhat futuristic but manages to keep facts into perspective as well as keeping all aspects of the game realistic for such a simulation. There is much reading to be done in the form of bulletin boards, viewing items, and reading mission details. Making the video resolution too high will make the fonts too small to read, which makes things tough for the eyes. As the difficulty of the missions ramp up, you are basically left on your own to figure out how the game works, and what you need in order to be able to attempt missions. This can be frustrating and can possibly leave the player feeling almost completely lost. It is often very difficult to understand what tools one needs for the various jobs you have access to, or how to go about correcting some of your mistakes. I suppose Uplink is keeping its simulation genre up to standard, as a real life hacker would probably go through the same hurdles and difficulties for learning about such activities, which can certainly take much time and many errors to master. Getting caught, losing everything, and being forced to end your career early as a hacker is heartbreaking, and gives the impression that you are playing a roguelike. Getting help from a FAQ or guide is almost a requirement. As you complete the missions, you rarely feel safe. It almost feels like at any time, you will get caught and have to restart the game with a brand new character again. The more advanced missions are so complicated, involved in minute details, and difficult to complete, that I don't think there is any way to go about them by trial and error. Once again, a FAQ or guide is an absolute necessity. Worse yet, if you make a ridiculously small mistake in the very first part of the story mission, you will have to start over from the very beginning if you want to do more than the non crucial missions and proceed through the storyline. The player is not allowed to save and reload games at all. Starting from the beginning multiple times because of small mistakes means that you will be throwing away dozens of hours until you get it right even once. This problem of having to restart the game from the very beginning, in conjunction with the lack of variety in the missions makes for somewhat of a disappointment. Even then, Uplink can be enjoyed in short bursts, and is a good choice to go back to every now and then, by keeping it installed for the long run. It is also valid to mention that for its age, Uplink has accomplished plenty. It is a complex and complicated hacking simulation to be enjoyed by those who are patient and don't mind a steep learning curve. Expand
  40. Sep 1, 2011
    An excellent hacking sandbox game that is fun to play around with(Also easy to understand), though it suffers from the fact that your hours and hours of work can be gone from one mistake. Still, worth buying.
  41. Nov 24, 2011
    Surprisingly fun, addictive, and immersive hacking simulator. The more you play, the more intellectually stimulating it gets. Uplink rewards experimentation in ways that few games, if any, have been able to, negating the downsides of a sparse tutorial and relatively steep learning curve. At a certain point, the repetitiveness of missions can kill the immersion and become tedious, butSurprisingly fun, addictive, and immersive hacking simulator. The more you play, the more intellectually stimulating it gets. Uplink rewards experimentation in ways that few games, if any, have been able to, negating the downsides of a sparse tutorial and relatively steep learning curve. At a certain point, the repetitiveness of missions can kill the immersion and become tedious, but that's why there are numerous things to do on the side, such as play and manipulate the stock market. Uplink does what it does so well that it is difficult to come up with substantial criticisms. I picked this game up for cheap on a whim and I would not have regretted paying more for it. Expand
  42. May 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started this game and could not stop playing until I had beaten it. It's very engaging - partially because of how great a job it does at immersing you in the world it envisions (through stylistic, yet sometimes inefficient, UI and old-school music), but also because of how the actions required to beat challenges take quite a bit ofThis review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I started this game and could not stop playing until I had beaten it. It's very engaging - partially because of how great a job it does at immersing you in the world it envisions (through stylistic, yet sometimes inefficient, UI and old-school music), but also because of how the actions required to beat challenges take quite a bit of focus. First of all, the atmosphere in this game is phenomenal. It's certainly intended to be more of a simulation of Hollywood-esque hacking than real life, so if you suspend your disbelief and let yourself slip into that context, it works. The interface is a bit clunky and slow, but that's part of the challenge - you're dealing with old-style computer systems. Second, the gameplay is actually more akin to an FPS than a strategy game - this is because, once you figure out the optimal actions to take to complete any given hacking challenge, it's just a matter of performing all those actions quickly enough and not making mistakes. In that regard, it's pretty engaging . And, as your learning the right actions, it'll challenge your problem solving skills. The main reasons why I didn't give this game a perfect score: Many of the challenges are hard to figure out without using a guide, and not fun because of that. For example, for the "destroy a person's life" missions, you have to somehow figure out that you need to give them 2 random crimes AND another crime that ends with "Parole", and only then can you authorize their arrest. Second, this game feels kind of time-wastery. True, most games are, but I really just felt like I didn't improve myself at all after playing this game - it didn't challenge my creativity, teach me a skill, improve my ability to work with others (it's single-player). That's definitely a tough thing to achieve with a game, but I'm really looking for that for a game to get a perfect score - being fun while beneficial. It definitely does provide you with moments of flow (if you get into it), which is certainly beneficial, though there's many more productive activities that can also do that. Expand
  43. Jan 3, 2013
    A retro-futuristic hacker sim that flops on execution. After your intro to the interface and basic gameplay mechanics it looks like a promising game, with many different upgrades and ways to hack into systems. However the learning curve is strong and requires a lot of repetition to learn the proper paths and ways through systems. Compounding on this issue is the permadeath; if you areA retro-futuristic hacker sim that flops on execution. After your intro to the interface and basic gameplay mechanics it looks like a promising game, with many different upgrades and ways to hack into systems. However the learning curve is strong and requires a lot of repetition to learn the proper paths and ways through systems. Compounding on this issue is the permadeath; if you are caught, it's game over with no save reloading. In some games this would be welcomed but here it's very frustrating because it's so easy to forget to cover your tracks 20 different ways and one slip up is a quick trip to the game over screen. This is definitely a unique game with some exciting concepts but I don't feel compelled to go back to it anytime soon. Expand
  44. Dec 9, 2015
    It's a hacking simulation game which excels in giving you a feeling of fear and uncertainty which most hackers possibly have in their lives. At the same time, its poorly designed interface and strange design choices make the game more tedious and repetitive than it could be.

For example, you always need to connect to servers by using a series of intermediary computers, but when you open the world map to set up such a link of intermediaries, all other windows close. So to complete the first few missions of downloading files you'd need to find all the small tools you need and open the Memory screen again and again. This tedious clicking also has to be done under time pressure. To make things worse, files you need to get all have similar names, with just a different number in the end - which makes the whole game feel like a memory trainer because the email where you get the needed number would close the memory area where you would need to put the file (both can't be seen at the same time). And that's hardly fun, more like frustrating. I'm not even sure real-world hackers go thru such tedious tasks because they possibly automate most of the repetitive steps.

Most actions you do for money in this game feel too anonymous and pointless. E.g. all the "data" you steal is just data and nothing else. In real life this data would be something meaningful, like financial reports, photos of people, scientific reports, incriminating evidence against some real person, or whatever. But here you are just working with network security systems like you are yourself a tool, oblivious to the world around it.

The game may be an educational experience for teenagers, like "if you thought hacking and crime are cool, in reality it's a tedious and dangerous job with hardly any rewards". So, in the end it's probably good that this game isn't much fun - as it will deter most kids from becoming hackers.
  45. Aug 22, 2013
    Simply amazing. It's rare to see a game based off being a hacker that pulls it off well but Uplink is one of them. From call bouncing to sabotages uplink will keep you immersed for a very long time. Even if you only want to play one mission you'll be four or five down the road before you remember why you needed to stop.
  46. Oct 5, 2013
    would be perfect but plays slow when you start out except that no problems exiting innovative and my review needs to be 150 characters long so now i am just typing random stuff good bye
  47. Dec 7, 2013
    This game gets way too repetitive. Though it has good replay value, it's rather dull after around 20 minutes once you're on your second or third game.
  48. Jun 26, 2014
    I bought this game with an enthusiasm that quickly tapered off thanks to an annoying interface, repetitiveness, and a general boredom that comes from a game when you sense it is past its prime. Uplink is starting to show its age, except to the nostalgia blind.

1. While a very nice and original concept, Uplink will only appeal to a select few.
  2. A fairly satisfying gaming experience... that goes for deeper strategy – actual gameplay! – rather than a flashy package.
  3. A unique game that is definitely worth a look by anyone looking for a gaming change of pace. Its long term appeal is questionable, though.