• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 18, 2009
8.1

1. Jul 28, 2012
    Okay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. TheOkay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. The campaign is quite engaging and you're given a number of varied squads to improve and upgrade throughout the game, and that is by far my favourite part. There is choice involved in missions, outfitting and strategy, making an overall flamboyant single player campaign. The co-op is just as sweet. But wait there's more. The cream of the crop is the multiplayer and The Last Stand where you take on hordes of monsters with 2 other heroes. Great additions all way round. Long story short, yes it is a massive departure from DoW1's style but it is fortunately just as good in its own right. I certainly have respect for the devs for changing things up and trying out something new, and I'm glad that they've still kept the strength of this series and its ability to constantly impress me. Expand
  2. Oct 4, 2010
    Dawn of War II is an excellent game in its own right. However, it is easy to understand how fans of the first game feel slightly wronged after having played it. It is very different compared to the first game, perhaps too much so for it to be called a direct sequel. But if you only look at it as a game it is still quite a great one.

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and fun. Dawn of War keeps setting the standard for visceral combat in the RTS genre.
  3. Jul 21, 2012
    Dawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star mapDawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star map where they will be able to see how much time is left for a mission, what the rewards are and what kind of assets are available on the planets. The ultimate goal is to stop the Tyranid threat which is represented by a bar that is constantly filling up as time goes by. Focus too much on one planet and you won't be able to save another. During missions there are three types of assets to be captured and each asset gives the player a strategic advantage. Winning the game relies on finding the time to capture these assets but not lingering around for too long as it diminishes the chances of gaining another deployment for that day. The more deployments per day that you secure, the slower the Tyranid threat grows and the more experience your troops gain. When 2 players engage in co-operative play, they will each be assigned two squads and although these are locked during the RTS stage, the players are allowed to both seamlessly control the interface during the RPG/tactical planning phase. As the person whom I played DoW 2 with put it "the Warhammer universe is endlessly repeating itself" so the story is just that; familiar. Sounds and video are excellent, the game looks and plays brilliantly. Although I am not a very big fan of the Warhammer universe, this game is legendary. Most fun can be had in co-operative play with a like-minded friend and my only grievances with it are the fishtank soundbug, the inclusion of GFWL and the inability to rebind your special abilities and accessoires! Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2010
    Beautiful campaign mode. Great voice acting. Great action. Wonderful ability to outfit your team and unit selection. nice graphics.
    A Rare game that is nearly perfect as far as a role play campaign is concerned.
    2 thumbs up!
  5. Nov 3, 2011
    Singleplayer was great, although filled with cheese. No room for character development with space marines, but I guess that's how they were created. Once the tryanids came in, you did see some repeating missions, but they were avoidable for the most part. Great strategic gameplay, and I loved the loot and the abilities (SO! MUCH! LOOT!!!!).

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced,

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced, although I haven't touched them enough to give a rock-solid review on them. Last Stand is incredibly fun, constantly having me come up with new and interesting ways to slaughter hordes of enemies (although there's some loadouts that are clearly better).

Some may not like the squad based gameplay, and I was a little confused with it at first, but it grows on you. Instead of most RTSs where individual units are usually expendable, keeping units alive in this game is crucial (multiplayer). As long as one squad member survives, you can replenish the squad, so their upgrades and levels don't go to waste. The entire squad gets gibbed, you lose their vital experience. That's not to say that you can't beat higher level enemies, but it's certainly harder.
  6. Sep 25, 2011
    Ein sehr gelungenes und spannendes Spiel, macht mir heute immer noch SpaÃ
  7. Oct 26, 2010
    Relic has been pushing innovation in the RTS genre that was dominated in the early 90's by the powerhouses of Westwood Studios and Blizzard. While Westwood was absorbed into EA and Blizzard switched their focus towards the MMO market, this developer has quietly pushed release after release in the RTS market starting with the wonderful Homeworld series. If you like "traditional" style ofRelic has been pushing innovation in the RTS genre that was dominated in the early 90's by the powerhouses of Westwood Studios and Blizzard. While Westwood was absorbed into EA and Blizzard switched their focus towards the MMO market, this developer has quietly pushed release after release in the RTS market starting with the wonderful Homeworld series. If you like "traditional" style of RTS found in Starcraft and C&C this might not be your game. Single player it plays like an RTS with elements of an RPG with experience pts, skills, and item drops. This is not a game where who has the highest APM but using good tactics that utilize the strength of your squads. Charging into battle will only get you killed. This puts the strategy into RTS, not simply following the same build order in SCII for the first 10 minutes over and over again. Expand
  8. Sep 23, 2012
    I am generally not a big RTS fan, but I greatly liked Dawn of War II. Maybe perhaps it was very action-oriented and had a good pace. Maybe also this is why many of the fans of the original didn't like this one. You don't actually build anything in this game or collect resources, etc. You just get dropped off in the battle zone and using various skills and military tactics you have to getI am generally not a big RTS fan, but I greatly liked Dawn of War II. Maybe perhaps it was very action-oriented and had a good pace. Maybe also this is why many of the fans of the original didn't like this one. You don't actually build anything in this game or collect resources, etc. You just get dropped off in the battle zone and using various skills and military tactics you have to get the mission done. The missions have a good length and do not drag on, but there are loads of them. Another feature that I really loved about Dawn of War II is the presence of RPG elements. The squad characters level up as you complete missions and when they level up you can advance them in certain combat disciplines, whether it's health and survival, ranged damage, melee damage, or energy utilisation. This gives a certain element of replayability as you can take each squad member in different directions. Each character has their distinct strengths and weaknesses, and hence a lot of decision making befalls on the player when it comes to choosing which gear to equip them and in fact which squad members to take on the mission (as you can't take them all). The campaign is pretty long and also has a bit of an open-ended style to it after about halfway through, where some missions are optional and others are time-sensitive, meaning you also have to make decisions in regard to prioritising your missions, which is great fun and is incredibly intense. There is a lot of incentive to do well on each mission, because the better you do them, the more additional deployments you get and hence you can solve time-critical missions earlier on. I'll also review the Chaos Rising expansion on here too. It introduced a new story arc that takes place a year after the Dawn of War II campaign, and although the storyline is better, full of various twists, the campaign suffers a bit from being way too linear. There is no more incentive for doing well, because you do not get additional deployments and there are hardly any optional and time-critical missions. Chaos Rising also introduces an additional squad member, as well as a new idea to the gameplay - the corruption system. To be honest, I wasn't too fond of this idea as it was a bit annoying since all of the best gear was corrupting to the squad members, so you either had to use mediocre gear, or to use the corrupting gear and face the consequences during the game. Although Chaos Rising was a bit weaker in my opinion than the Dawn of War II campaign, I generally enjoyed them both and they lasted me a good amount of time - the original DoW II campaign should last you around 20 hours, and Chaos Rising another 10, so you'll have at least 30 hours in a single playthrough, not to mention the option of playing co-op with friends, as well as the hoard/survival mode. Expand
  9. Jul 28, 2012
    I find it rather odd how people are complaining about the RPG elements in the singleplayer mode. Warhammer 40k having RPG elements is bad? Did people have a lapse of memory as to what 40k is? The RPG elements do a better job of resembling collecting figures, building your army, and rolling dice than having completely uncustomizeable units. I mean seriously...

GFWL is a complaint? It's

GFWL is a complaint? It's free. I honestly do not understand why people think it is such a hassle. Aside from the automatic sign in as the game launches, you wouldn't even notice that GFWL exists until you play multiplayer. Making an account takes a minute unless you're handicapped in some regard. I've had GFWL for 7 years now and never in my entire usage did I encounter the kinds of problems people commonly complain about. I get it, it sucks having to use it. I completely agree, but that alone doesn't make it bad.

Retreat is definitely an issue, but this is more of a Relic issue, not a DOWII issue. Relic did the same **** in COH and they realized people were upset by it so they're changing it. I agree, the current retreat feature is completely oversimplified.

Aside from "it wasn't like the old game", the removal of base building can be seen as a good thing. Your focus is shifted completely off of bases and onto combat. This allows for combat to be significantly more intricate than before, but as several others have pointed out, the Orks and Tyranids don't play very uniquely.

If you believe the singleplayer is overly easy and you can spam retreat to save yourself, you must have been playing on Normal. Try that on Primarch. I dare you. Yes, you can complete the campaigns on Normal with almost no thought involved. As soon as you start trying to maximize tokens (>80% of units killed, no squads incapacitated, very short clear time), as well as playing on Primarch, the single player becomes very challenging and thoughtful.

As for other simplifications from the original DOW, these criticisms are completely valid. The game easily could have had more content and customization. The lack of scope in the game is a completely valid change, as it places more importance on individual units and how you use them in combat instead of "amass X number of unit Y, use this build order, rush". Those kinds of "strategies" can be just as repetitive and if you won't admit it you're lying through your teeth.

I could have sworn PLAYING THE FULL GAME was a prerequisite to writing a review.
  10. Oct 4, 2013
    Easily the best RTS game out there, even a few years after release (with Retribution expansion pack) compared to it Starcraft 2 feels like it is DoW's retarted cousin.
    There are 6 factions in multiplayer, each one feels very different from another and each has 3 different commanders which differentiate them further, making it very hard to be bored with it.
    There is an incredible amount
    There is an incredible amount of unit upgrades, wargear for commanders, abilities and tactics to use. Each race takes a good 30-50 hours to master, there are many people with 1 k hours clocked in and still playing (personally I have about 300 and counting). Larger maps with up to 6 players are even more challenging, with more emphasis on long term strategy rather than micromanagement.
    Yet the game is not by any means overwhelming, and it's quite easy to learn the basics.
    The only thing that's not done right is too few maps. I'd really like to see some maps coming in DLC format, but since THQ got bankrupt it's very unlikely.
    There is also survival horde-mode, where up to three players defend themselves from hordes of incoming enemies, after each game earning experience and wargear to upgrade their heroes. Although not very complex it is very addictive.
    As to singleplayer, the base game's singleplayer campaign is pretty good and lasts for a good 15 hours if you do all the side missions. Chaos Rising campaign is shorter but has new interesting features and multiple endings making it also a good chunk of fun. In Retribution, the advantage is that you can play it with any race of your choosing, not just Space Marines, but the disadvantage is worse story and less unit customization options. Personally the base game's campaign is my favorite.

There are still people playing in time I write this review (october 2013), it's very easy to find someone to play with, both newbies and pros with thousands of hours. There are also mods (I recommend Elite mod) that add additional units and maps. Easily one of the best game I've played, and the best RTS.
    Get it, it's dirt-cheap these days. No excuses, go to a store
  11. May 15, 2012
    I enjoyed this game. Its downside is it seems to lack some complexity. I haven't tried online mode, so this rating is only representative of campaign play.
  12. Oct 10, 2012
    Finally, an RTS that requires a huge amount of skill and tactics in multi-player. Although I do see why people prefer the original, I believe that replacing the huge army with smaller, more tactical squads is a welcoming change. The campaign is entertaining, but would be much better if the AI had any intelligence at all. However, multi-player is where this game shines. Probably the bestFinally, an RTS that requires a huge amount of skill and tactics in multi-player. Although I do see why people prefer the original, I believe that replacing the huge army with smaller, more tactical squads is a welcoming change. The campaign is entertaining, but would be much better if the AI had any intelligence at all. However, multi-player is where this game shines. Probably the best RTS I have played in a long time. Expand
  13. Jan 7, 2013
    One of the best looking RTS for sure.. Camping mod has som really interesting missions but also some boring ones. Story is good and characters are funny too. The multiplayer is best part of this game for sure.
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Me encanta en todo ámbito, las misiones son muy simpáticas. Me gusta el progreso de cada personaje e ir mejorando las aptitudes que estimes convenientes. Me gusta que siempre haya un jefe final al que vencer y los hay unos bien poderosos. Siendo solo un iniciando en el mundo warhammer, debo decir que me encanta esa ambientación futurista retro tecnológica, esa mezcla fascinante como deMe encanta en todo ámbito, las misiones son muy simpáticas. Me gusta el progreso de cada personaje e ir mejorando las aptitudes que estimes convenientes. Me gusta que siempre haya un jefe final al que vencer y los hay unos bien poderosos. Siendo solo un iniciando en el mundo warhammer, debo decir que me encanta esa ambientación futurista retro tecnológica, esa mezcla fascinante como de futuro y pasado. Lástima que sea tan opacado por starcraft, siendo que éstos tomaron "prestadas" muchos conceptos para su juego. En fin no he probado el multiplayer,pero la campaña está de lujo no tengo aspectos negativos que comentar. Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2013
    Dawn of War 2 is kind of a mix of strategy and RPG. It's different from other RTS's in the sense that units level up as they fight and get stronger. You can also equip different weapons on to different squads and change them up to your liking. At least in the singleplayer.

but who gives a about the singleplayer, the MULTIPLAYER in this game is badass, and for me that's what really makes this game amazing. It's addicting, it's tactical, it's competitive, and it's simply awesome. It has a very high learning curve however, expect to get your ass kicked for a while before you actually get good at it. It doesn't have enough maps, and the pathing is a bit messed up, but the sheer attention to detail with the character models and superb voice acting mixed with incredible depth (in the multiplayer) makes this game a must for strategy fans in my books.
  16. Jun 28, 2014
    Dawn of War spielt im Warhammer 40k Universum von Games Workshop.
    Die Kampagne kann wahlweise alleine oder im Koop bestreiten.
    Die Story ist wie bei allen 40k Geschichten… Krieg!. Diese Geschichte handelt vom Kampf um den Sub-Sektor Aurelia, welches auch die Rekrutierungswelt der Bloodravens beinhaltet. Wir spielen einen jungen Space Marine Captain, vom Orden der Bloodraven, der am
    Dawn of War spielt im Warhammer 40k Universum von Games Workshop.
    Die Kampagne kann wahlweise alleine oder im Koop bestreiten.

Die Story ist wie bei allen 40k Geschichten… Krieg!.
    Wir spielen einen jungen Space Marine Captain, vom Orden der Bloodraven, der am Anfang seiner Laufbahn steht und gegen Orcs in die Schlacht zieht welche die Rekrutierungswelt bedrohen.
    Nur um festzustellen das der Auslöser für den Angriff der Orcs eine weit größere Bedrohung ist.

Einen Basisaufbau gibt es nicht.
    Der ♥♥♥us liegt auf unseren Squad´s und dem Kommandanten der Space Marines welchen wir ins Feld führen. Die Positionierung, das Nutzen von Deckung, das Ausnutzen der gegnerischen schwächen und die Spezialfähigkeiten unserer Einheiten bringen uns den Sieg.

Während der Kampagne sammeln die Einheiten welche wir ins Feld führen Erfahrung. Hiermit können wir den unterschiedlichen Einheiten Fähigkeiten freischalten.
    Darüber hinaus können wir Ausrüstungsgegenstände (Relikte und Artefakte des Ordens) finden.
    Die gewählte Ausrüstung und freigeschalteten Fähigkeiten Beeinflussen wie sich der Trupp auf dem Feld schlägt und spielt. Somit hat man die Möglichkeit die Trupps seinen eigenen spielerischen Vorlieben anzugleichen.

Die Kampagne hat Schlüsselmissionen, daneben ist sie aber dynamisch. So können zeitlich begrenzt zur Verfügung stehende Missionen absolviert oder ignoriert werden, was uns zum Vor- oder Nachteil gereicht.

Für PvP Liebhaber gibt es 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 Kämpfe bei denen durch das Halten von Kontrollpunkten der gegnerische Punktestand auf 0 reduziert werden muß um zu gewinnen. Zur Wahl stehen die vier Rassen die in der Kampagne die Hauptrolle spielen.

Die Animationen und die generelle erzeugte Atmosphäre passen perfekt um sich im 40k Universum wiederzufinden!

Ein rundes RTS Spiel welches ohne den Basisaufbau für ein schnelles dynamisches Spielerlebnis sorgt.
  17. Aug 2, 2014
    When I first tried this game, I'm going to be honest: I was incredibly mad. "No buildings? What the heck? Only a handful of units? Why? What is wrong with everything?".
    Then, I started realizing something. This is not your average "hoard-resources-build-a-giant-army" RTS. It has a much more fast-paced and agile take onto real time strategy, which as much disorienting as it is at first, is a welcome change. The game purely focuses on combat; there are only two upgrades and both of them are to unlock high tier units, the squads have different skills depending on the weapon equipped and the squad itself, the commander isn't a useless **** that you need to protect, it stays on the frontline wrecking havoc amongst the enemy ranks or providing all kinds of support to your squad.
    At the end of the day, you take a look at it and can help but think that this is a mix between MOBA and RTS, and a darn good one.
    Definitely worth your attention if you don't mind having a faster, more quick reaction based experience!

Oh also, the campaing is **** EPIC! Loved every bit of it, recommend playing it before getting into multiplayer so you're more familiarized with the gamplay.
  18. Oct 23, 2011
    I love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boringI love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boring activity to me...however I still love the fantasy of the Warhammer 40K universe Collapse

The single-player mash-up of RTS and RPG elements works really well, and the multiplayer is fast and exciting. Relic's reinvention of the Dawn of War brand is a breath of fresh (or possibly fetid, Tyranid infested) air.
  2. Dawn of War II is a highly innovative twist on the usual RTS formula that dares to think outside the box while staying true to the WH40k source material. Campaign co-op play is a great addition to the already superb single player game but the head-to-head multiplayer skirmish is a bit of a disappointment.
  3. Dawn of War was a finely tuned game with huge battles and many disposable troops. Dawn of War II is faster, lighter, smaller, in some ways more interesting and in other ways somewhat lacking in its execution. But taken as a whole it’s impossible to not recommend the game to 40K fans and to those who are willing to accept that this is not a linear sequel to an aging franchise.