World of Goo PC

8.5

1. Aug 2, 2011
    THE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls toTHE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls to create structures. The objective of most levels is to build a structure (or series of structures) that allows a certain number of goo balls to reach an exit pipe. The more goo balls that reach the exit, the better your score. So the challenge of the game is twofold: 1) Figuring what sort of structure you'll need to build to accomplish the level objective, as it is rarely a straight course, 2) Conquering the laws of physics by building a goo structure that not only accomplishes your goal, but is also structurally sound and unlikely to be destroyed by environmental dangers. The game does a fantastic job of creating fresh scenarios, either by introducing new environmental dangers or by introducing new goo balls with new unique abilities. The game's originality is incredibly refreshing and its character will charm you to no end.
    THE CONS: Interacting with the goo balls in the game is not always very user friendly, and in some situations it becomes just plain infuriating. In most levels, the goo balls start on a small, pre-built structure. As you build, the goo balls whimsically travel around the tresses of the structure you're putting together. As the game goes on and the challenges become more difficult, this actually starts to become frustrating for a number of different reasons. For example, if there are multiple types of goo balls in a particular stage (let's say regular black goo and balloon goo), you might be trying to pick up a particular kind of goo ball to accomplish a particular task. However, the one goo ball you're trying to pick up is buried beneath 60 other goo balls that you don't want. You can't just move all the unwanted goo balls aside and dig down to the goo ball you want, because all the goo balls are running around like disobedient children. The whistle the game gives you to "call" goo balls is no help, since it seems to only make the goo balls do what they are already doing (i.e., running around chaotically), only faster. The chaotic dog pile of goo balls also proves frustrating in time-sensitive situations, since you'll try to quickly grab a single goo ball from the writing mass of them, but instead you'll accidentally yank out a goo ball that's already been placed, causing your entire structure to collapse. The developers have kindly introduced tiny flies you can click on to flashback to an earlier point in the level, in case you make any huge blunders; however, these flies also prove frustrating since 1) the restore points they choose seem almost random, ranging anywhere from two seconds ago (letting you watch your structure fall in instant replay) to three minutes ago (causing you to rebuild a significant chunk of your structure), and 2) it is too easy to click one of these flies by accident when you don't mean to, effectively deleting GOOD progress you've made. In short, all of the problems and frustrations of world of goo boil down to one essential problem: there is too much crap on the screen at one time. It all piles on top of each other, and it can make your life hell. VERDICT: Definitely buy the game for its originality and charm, but be prepared for some unnecessary frustration.
  2. May 15, 2015
    A vanguard work of art still rooted in old videogame conventions.

The Good: Artstyle, cutscenes and music are phenomenal; sharp humor and smart twists The Bad: Controls and physics doesn't match the game's difficulty Raised upon a little physics proof-of-concept (called Tower of Goo, still available for download in the old 2D Boy's site) World of Goo was a major agent of the indie
    A vanguard work of art still rooted in old videogame conventions.

The Bad: Controls and physics doesn't match the game's difficulty

Raised upon a little physics proof-of-concept (called Tower of Goo, still available for download in the old 2D Boy's site) World of Goo was a major agent of the indie takeover 7 years ago. Much like many of its contemporaries it gets half the job astoundily well done--the artsy one--but doesn't quite nail the core gameplay content that smartly.

On the bright side there's plenty to be proud of: presentation overall is plain superb--both music and graphics are a testimony of a very cohesive art direction--and everything sums up nicely to serve the plot--or at least the philosophic dialogue it proposes if we can't agree it has a proper plot.

On the other hand the developers couldn't help restricting the player's resources as if it was a classic hardcore game. Physics here are way too loose to ask the player the precision and swiftness the levels so constantly demand, goo balls are often too limited in number and as they grow in variety it gets tougher to pick the right one from the crowd, and checkpoints (despite the smart "undo" concept) work poorly. (Using OCDs for triggering Achievements sits on top of that as well.)

The game sometimes try to make up for those frustration moments by offering alternate paths in the maps but they're often useless since it eventually forces you to get back to the avoided levels before allowing you to progress anyway.

World of Goo weights in the "games as art" debate but does so by improving the usual external assets related to that instead of improving interactivity--the main feature that makes the medium unique for exploring new forms of art.
  3. AWG
    Jul 27, 2013
    It seems the general consensus for this game is "You love it or you hate it". I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either: World of Goo is a cute, original indie game with a good set of graphics, but it never hits the nail on the head. It's pretty, yeah, but pretty forgettable too.
  4. ChrisH
    May 23, 2009
    The scores this game has recieved so far are ridiculous. This game is getting bonus points for being "indie", it shouldn't have been anywhere close to being a contender for game of the year. I'm not knocking the game, its fun for a few hours, the gameplay is fairly solid (though by no means perfect), but stick the word "indie" in there somewhere and suddenly everyones bumping up The scores this game has recieved so far are ridiculous. This game is getting bonus points for being "indie", it shouldn't have been anywhere close to being a contender for game of the year. I'm not knocking the game, its fun for a few hours, the gameplay is fairly solid (though by no means perfect), but stick the word "indie" in there somewhere and suddenly everyones bumping up the scores another 30%. Being "indie" shouldn't give a game a free pass. If this had been produced by a EA, you can bet the scores would have been around the 70-80% mark, where they should have been. Expand
  5. ThomasPower
    Dec 1, 2008
    I think the game was very entertaining while it lasted, but loses a bit of replayabillity. The game is short, which I was very sad about. A larger company would have been able to make many more levels/challenge maps, but, sadly, this is not a big company. All in all I enjoyed this, but it would be much more worth the 20 bucks IF there were some extra levels released for people who hadI think the game was very entertaining while it lasted, but loses a bit of replayabillity. The game is short, which I was very sad about. A larger company would have been able to make many more levels/challenge maps, but, sadly, this is not a big company. All in all I enjoyed this, but it would be much more worth the 20 bucks IF there were some extra levels released for people who had purchased the game. (Maybe even another stage or two?)

7/10 for the length and lack of any costumization, including resolution. If you are running this on a laptop/widescreen, then you will have to play with everything fatter than normal.
  6. JamesS
    May 11, 2009
    I am just quite dumbfounded about the scores here. I am a huge fan of the puzzle genre and couldn't wait to play through this after coming here and reading up on it. What I found instead was a mildly interesting concept with an utterly disappointing presentation (I am a huge fan of in-game music and was thoroughly disappointed with the rave for this particular category). I was just I am just quite dumbfounded about the scores here. I am a huge fan of the puzzle genre and couldn't wait to play through this after coming here and reading up on it. What I found instead was a mildly interesting concept with an utterly disappointing presentation (I am a huge fan of in-game music and was thoroughly disappointed with the rave for this particular category). I was just not pulled in at all! I did not care for the Goos, I don't understand why something that tries to pass as a story is being told via in-game board signs. I am my no means asking you to skip this game but am merely suggesting that there is a niche of people that it will not resonate with. For my money and time, I'm sticking to Plants vs Zombies. Expand
  7. SirToad
    Dec 30, 2009
    It's a pretty decent puzzle game. It's not great, it's not bad. The design, music and sound effects are absolutely charming, but I had a few doubts for the gameplay. It's great to be given such a wide variety of goo balls, with all special abilities, but I just wish I was given more opportunities to actually use them! All levels are pretty unique, which is great, but It's a pretty decent puzzle game. It's not great, it's not bad. The design, music and sound effects are absolutely charming, but I had a few doubts for the gameplay. It's great to be given such a wide variety of goo balls, with all special abilities, but I just wish I was given more opportunities to actually use them! All levels are pretty unique, which is great, but sometimes I wish that there were more levels that were roughly the same, becoming more complex over time and asking you to use your goo balls skillfuly. There aren't a lot of hints too in the games, and you'll need to experiment from time to time in order to progress. Again, initially it isn't a bad thing but sometimes you'd wish there were more help around. Example, at some point you have to take the eyes out of a creature in order to use them as balloons for your goo balls, yet there wasn't the slightest clue (or else I must be worryingly blind) that suggested you to do so, I just found it out of clicking fustration. The general idea and design of the game makes it worthwhile, but it isn't a game that will stick in my mind as one of the greatest I've ever played. It's greatest flaw is that it's virtues are also vices. Expand
  8. Dec 3, 2012
    Updated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom toUpdated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom to stabilize helps alot. Think Pyramid instead of Obelisk (sp?). Pay attention to the balance and build away from the lean. Don't worry about building fast at first until you formulate a stable strategy. I've only played a few hours so far, but the one level "in between" where you're building a bridge without sagging too low or floating too high - I did find the gui to get in the way because timing does matter quite a bit there - I'd often try to grab a balloon to try to stop the bridge from falling too low, or a blob to stop it from floating too high - and grab the wrong thing. Frustrating, but they do give the back a move option that sometimes might help (not always though due to timing) Expand
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    The physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn likeThe physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn like myself! I have never really liked games that have a fundamental principal of making you think! I don’t think too good! I really can only recommend this game to puzzle game fans and those who enjoy building stable structures out of goo balls… Expand
  10. Jun 4, 2015
    PROS: (1) Nice production quality: solid animation & musical score, with humorous touches here and there. (2) Original gameplay idea, though I prefer the approach taken by "Bridge Constructor" for the iPad, which has similar gameplay probably inspired by this. (3) Great value: I purchased this for the price of a coffee.

CONS: (1) I found success often comes down to trial-and-error,

CONS: (1) I found success often comes down to trial-and-error, which is inevitably less satisfying. (2) Needing to build quickly before the whole structure collapses can be more frustrating than fun -- success often felt highly dependent on chance/good luck in those cases. (3) The controls can be frustratingly unreliable -- and especially frustrating when time is of the essence and you end up repeatedly selecting the wrong type of "goo ball" to use.

CONCLUSION: Despite its high production values & originality, I can only recommend this to those who are willing to overlook the aforementioned gameplay flaws: you need to be OK with mindlessly hacking away at a problem over and over until something sticks. I need to feel that success or failure in a game is entirely dependent on my own skill level.

1. The members of 2D Boy should be carried around in chariots while this glory lasts - because at some point, they're going to realise what a murderously high standard they've set for themselves, and run away forever.
    World of Goo's mix of ingenious physics-based puzzles and witty, colorful presentation make it a game almost everyone should check out. It goes by fast -- you can get through most of the puzzles in 5-6 hours -- but for $20, there's little excuse not to check out this World.
  3. Masterfully done, and certainly set to become an instant Wii and PC cult hit. [Dec 2008, p.98]