3.7

1. Apr 20, 2011
    FPS in armored vehicles. I had mixed feelings when Ijoined up during their closed beta period in December 2010, but reckoned that it would be good enough to pass a couple of hours during the christmas holidays.

Boy was I wrong.. This game is addictive - severely. The developers have found a nice mix between pure arcade and historical simulation. The tanks are very nicely modelled graphically, including small details such as tool strapped to the outside, holes appearing from shell hits, and the landscape is absolutely amazing.

The game itself is easy to get into, and hard to master. Even though you can use in-game gold currency and the ingame Credits to buy items for your tank, they don't guarantee you a victory. You'll still be hit, you'll still depend on the other members of your team to win, and you'll still die. The good thing about the gold currency, is that it enables you to purchase premium status, which increases the amount of experience and credits your tank earns in battles. That allows you to progress faster through the various tanks, even though it is stil very much possible to do so without ever spending a dime on gold.

There are still some issues in the game, which the developers are working on, even if their patches isn't issued as frequently as in other games I've played. Now that the game has gone live, they will have to live up to their promises in the upcoming 0.6.4.0 patch, which should fix a whole slew of issues reported in the beta. I don't doubt they will be able to do this, since they seem very dedicated to their game. I've even met and played against some of them, and been able to beat them in a regular competion called Killed The Mods.. Got in game gold for my victory as well.

For a free to play game, World of Tanks is exceptional good value and fun. I'll be sticking to this game for quite a while, since they project it to run for at least 5 years, with content and new features added during the lifespan of the game. The next addition to the game, a global Clan Wars persistent world fighting for territories is going to be introduced this summer and sounds very interesting. Untill then I am playing with my clan mates in platoons and tank company battles, and thouroghly enjoying it.
  2. Apr 18, 2011
    This game is perfect for all types, hence the micro-transaction feature. Casuals will love jumping in from time to time to shoot around and charge headlong into death, while more serious players will pay for gold and join a clan for some real battles (i.e. teamwork!). The sheer amount of variety is incredible, with at least 6 nationalities to be represented by the end of the year.This game is perfect for all types, hence the micro-transaction feature. Casuals will love jumping in from time to time to shoot around and charge headlong into death, while more serious players will pay for gold and join a clan for some real battles (i.e. teamwork!). The sheer amount of variety is incredible, with at least 6 nationalities to be represented by the end of the year. People complain about the premium features, but you get a top-notch game, which if you purchase one of the larger packages (I preordered 25000 gold for 90.00, normally 100.00: 2,500 buys premium for one month. Using gold for just subscription averages out to 10.00 a month.), it averages out to less than a WoW subscription. Last I checked, WoW didn't have tanks, tank destroyers and artillery! The lower gold amounts are also reasonable. The environments are well detailed and the tanks are accurate and gorgeous at higher graphic settings. Cover is supplied in great quantity, which is important to avoid fire and for camouflage. The development team has gone to great pains to keep these machines historically accurate for their time period and specifications, so shooting at the front plate of a Royal Tiger with an M4 Sherman just isn't going to cut it! Coordinating tactics are essential to get the most out of this game. There are some downsides. Glitches/bugs are still present and rear their ugly heads on occasion. Sometimes your radar will go blank, or tanks that shouldn't disappear do. The voice chat is horrendous, so you may find yourself using Skype or a Ventrilo server. Many times the matchmaking system will lump too many of one type together, making it difficult to achieve victory. There is a general chat; but flame throwing will quickly turn you off to that feature. Earning xp and credits (in-game currency) can be difficult if you don't upgrade; but that's just par for the course for an MMO. Upgrading is vital, and 20 mm of extra armor is worth the 5000 xp you spend for the upgrade. You may find yourself spending your gold on credits, but just be patient! However, with the release date just 6 days ago, this is a small amount of grief for a great game. Patches have been released on a regular basis, and the development team really cares about maintaining quality; they actually LISTEN to the forums! With the amount of content slated for release, and the relatively low price of a premium subscription, you should at least give this great period game a shot for a month. You've paid more for console games with a LOT less quality, and even if you don't spend the cash, there's just something so gratifying about shooting stuff from time to time. Give it try! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much a 'freebie' has to offer! Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Awesome! A great game with both arcade and deep RPG features. Never boring: fast-paced but strategic action with over a hundred tanks on a variety of ever-increasing maps. With Clan Wars coming soon it should prove to be quite the distraction from your otherwise tank-less life. Warning! It very addictive; if you have some sort of a tankophobia this is not the game for you.
  4. Apr 25, 2011
    Great game and very addictive. I started out playing this game with a few friends at a Lan party and still find myself playing it every night since. As it was free to play it was an easy sell to all of my friends and now i often have enough playing that I can usually form a 3 man platoon when i happen on in the evenings.

The game has just launched and there is still a lot of content

The game has just launched and there is still a lot of content slated for release. For me however that will all be icing on the cake as really enjoying what is already released.
  5. Apr 27, 2011
    I've been playing world of tanks for about a year now. With 5000+ games in closed beta, about 1000+ since release, and way too much online time in game. At the moment its like a addictive FPS game except with upgradable Tanks, and shortly the clan-wars will be coming. That huge "Risk" type world domination map, looks "oh so sweet". So you can play casually, or play to stamp your clan logoI've been playing world of tanks for about a year now. With 5000+ games in closed beta, about 1000+ since release, and way too much online time in game. At the moment its like a addictive FPS game except with upgradable Tanks, and shortly the clan-wars will be coming. That huge "Risk" type world domination map, looks "oh so sweet". So you can play casually, or play to stamp your clan logo all over the world, which ever suits your time limits and play style. Personally I cant wait for the clan-wars, Bring it on!. I don't really understand some of the negative reviews about the matchmaking, or not having the biggest tank in the game. The game is setup that you earn exp based on the level difference of the tanks. So if you happen to fall into a game where most of the tanks are bigger than you, then you earn a lot more experience for damaging them. Tanks have week spots, if you learn where to aim you can damage or kill the bigger enemy tanks and get earn a lot for it. The game does take a bit of skill and experience to get good at it, like most games, playing is easy, being good however takes more skill. Join, play, have fun, and get settled before clan-wars arrives. You wont regret it. Expand
  6. Oct 15, 2013
    A great MMO-styled game. I'm not going to say much except that it is a great game since all of the reviews here seem to be extremely critical for no reason other than the fact that they have no idea how to play the game. It would seem that most of the negative reviews here have two causes:

1. Reviewer is absoloutely brain dead and can't play well in any way whatsoever 2. Supposed

1. Reviewer is absoloutely brain dead and can't play well in any way whatsoever

2. Supposed glorification of Stalin

It would seem that the majority of the negative reviews here are about the glorification of Stalin. Are you serious? At least the mindless negative reviews for Company of Heroes 2 were somehow justifiable, but giving the game a 0/10 because a few employees supposedly decided to "glorify Stalin", something that I haven't even heard of them doing? None of you should even have the right to give the game a score.

Now I'll take the time to evaluate some of the critiques of the game that I have read thus far.

First of all, I haven't spent a single cent on this game. Yet, I always consistently do well in every match and I have above average statistics. My WoT account name is ChakLong on the Asia server in case you were wondering. You say the game is pay to win? You are wrong. Stop making excuses simply because you are not good at the game. I've played all the way up to Tier 7, and soon Tier 8 without buying gold or premium, and I never will. Why would you spend money for things that are free and easily attainable (unless you are simply a horrid player)?

There are many, many strategies out there on how to play the game and do well without being "forced" to buy gold. Yes, stock tanks don't do well. They are stock tanks. Were you expecting something different? Play well and you'll be fully upgraded in only a few rounds. Save up on your free experience when you are "forced" to grind instead of wasting it on unlocking tanks, and you'll easily get the stock tank to have top modules. What, your tank gets destroyed because you are driving around in the open like an idiot and not angling your armour or side-scraping, and your stock gun can't do anything against an enemy heavy that that is angled? If you learned to pick your targets and shoot weak spots, maybe you wouldn't be complaining.

Unbalanced tanks? There are only good tanks that you have no idea how to use. Apparently British heavy tanks aren't very good according to low-level players. But they are the only tanks I drive, and my stats beg to differ. Every tank has its merits, just because you don't know how to use a tank doesn't mean that it is underpowered. What, you are facing tanks that are of a higher tier, and you are oh so helpless? Just because you lack any knowledge of game mechanics or even common sense and are unable to use your brain does not mean the game itself is bad.

Now I will also address a completely ridiculous criticism: that it takes actual time and effort to unlock higher tier tanks. Should you just start World of Warcraft with the best gear and stats? Should you start Battlefield 3 with all guns, tools, and perks unlocked?

The simple fact is that higher tier tanks do not give you an advantage. They are simply new ways to play the game. A effortless way to differentiate an idiot or an ignorant player from someone with at least a small trace of intelligence is that an idiot would play the game just to unlock higher tier tanks because they are supposed to give you an edge in battle. It would appear you have no knowledge of how matchmaking works in this game. Additionally, if you play just to get higher tier tanks, you are completely missing the point of the game. You cannot complain about the game supposedly being a grindfest when you are playing the game with the purpose of grinding. Don't be hypocritical.

Frame rate and connection issues? Just because you are using a computer from 1990 and a dial-up connection doesn't mean the game isn't good.

I can't be bothered to continue to point out the ridiculous and overly-critical reviews on Metacritic for this game, and I also don't have the liberty to continue on due to the word limit for reviews. Once again, mindless mob-mentality destroys the credibility of "democratic" voting systems. "OMG some dudes glorified Stalin! THIS GAME R SUXORS! PAY2WIN OMG I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME FOR BALLS SO IT IS BAD! OMG I'M BEING FORCED TO PAY TO PLAY!".

Now you might ask, why 9/10? Simply because it is not a revolutionary game that completely blew my mind. Full score reviews are given out so carelessly these days that, combined with the senseless mob reviews mentioned above, makes community scores from review sites such as Metacritic absolutely worthless. This is a great game, but not a perfect game, or one that amazed me so much to the point that it changed my life.

And remember, just because you can't play a game well because you are used to running around like an idiot in Call of Duty, doesn't make a game bad. It just means you are an idiot.
  7. Sep 3, 2013
    I just love the tank just seeing them tanks makes me all happy inside, I love the tanks.

Shiny tanks, funny tanks, free tanks. I just love dem tanks. Whenever I see a tank I just want to drop to the floor and clap. I fricken love the tanks, just gimmie some tanks.
  8. Sep 18, 2013
    Becoming better and better as it stops being P2W. The only issue I used to have was the P2W nature of the gold ammo and such, now that you can earn gold without real money it's awesome!
  9. Feb 28, 2014
    After playing WoT for 3.5 years (including Beta) I can say something awesome about this game, graphics are good-looking and gameplay is great. You have so many tanks to unlock that you can`t even count!
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    What many do not realize is that buying the in-game currency, gold, is not at all required to advance in the game. The price of gold is a bit high, but playing for free, without gold, is just as rewarding. Gold simply helps you progress, it does not give the player any advantage over others.The game has had many major updates since the posting of the derogatory reviews; there is now a fullWhat many do not realize is that buying the in-game currency, gold, is not at all required to advance in the game. The price of gold is a bit high, but playing for free, without gold, is just as rewarding. Gold simply helps you progress, it does not give the player any advantage over others.The game has had many major updates since the posting of the derogatory reviews; there is now a full fledged system for physics, including visibility/camouflage, movement (engine acceleration, terrain resistance, top speed, hull traverse/rotate speed), Aiming/accuracy (gun dispersion, gun accuracy, aiming times), penetration (impact angles/ricochets, armor thickness calculations, penetration loss over distance), damage (shell, gun, crew/module damage), and a complex, ultimately fair matchmaking system. The game has evolved into something much better since 2011 (the year many of the negative reviews were written. The game should have different ratings for each update, or at least be refreshed every few months. Expand
  11. Jun 3, 2011
    Let me say that I have 0 previous experience with online playing. WoW and all else did not appeal to me and I got to this game pretty randomly, thanks to a tank--oriented discussion board - because of tanks and WW2. I was immediately ensnared, trapped and became an addict.
    WoT is fairly new game, with limited content (under development), some maps, and about 100 tanks so far. Many people would say "hey, that's not much", but... It is plenty already. You can play legends, as well as little known experimental designs. You can choose from 3 development trees, each with unique tanks, and while in some cases the balance could be better (or adherence to history), overall it is a fast-paced, enjoyable game where the main decisive factor in battle is player skill.
    Since the release, the developers also steadily add (a nd plan to add yet more) vehicles, maps and other features, like recently started Ultimate Conquest clan wars.
    All in all, it is an excellent game that promises to get yet better in the future.
  12. Mar 22, 2012
    World of tanks is quite nice game for casual gaming. It's free and one will get his portion of fun. Dark side of the game is when you get to grind something. Higher tiers are (intentionaly) basically unplayable on their own without either premium account or having other tanks to support expenses. I would for sure recommend giving this game a try.
  13. Apr 27, 2011
    Enjoyed this game since it first came out, played over 5000 battles in beta and nearly hitting 2000 in live and only a week in. I love the game and having the ability to control my tank and with teamwork control a platoon and drive around teaming our enemies. Lots of variety and with more things coming in time to come, it will be a great game now and into the future.
  14. Jun 3, 2011
    One of the best games that I played. Fast, dynamic with good graphics and of course this is WWII. Few types of tanks : Heavy , Medium , Light. Tank Destroyers and SPG. All this is what TIGERS :P like the most.
  15. Jul 7, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. I started playing about a month ago. My first impression was that the interface etc is almost completely bug free! This shouldn't be noteworthy, but given the state of most new release online multi-player games, the fact that it is bug free is awesome. Starting off in a little, weak, slow tank seemed a bit painful at first, but once you get the hang of it andThis is a fantastic game. I started playing about a month ago. My first impression was that the interface etc is almost completely bug free! This shouldn't be noteworthy, but given the state of most new release online multi-player games, the fact that it is bug free is awesome. Starting off in a little, weak, slow tank seemed a bit painful at first, but once you get the hang of it and skill up to higher techs, the game becomes extremely addictive and great fun. It is possible to play without spending a cent of real money, but I found that spending a minimal amount ( Expand
  16. Apr 15, 2011
    This is a great game! I haven't had this much fun in ages. Nothing like rolling down the battlefield as a modern day knight bringing the pain to the unsuspecting enemy tanks! =)
  17. Apr 25, 2011
    Think of this game as of Counter-Strike in tanks. Basically its all it is. So you did not find pve, quests, endgames, hundreds of maps and similar. Its old, good Counter Strike, much tactics very little brainless grinding. What's wrong with this game, then? I think it's very poor idea how to make profit at free-to-play game. To many premium items, unable to create platoon without premiumThink of this game as of Counter-Strike in tanks. Basically its all it is. So you did not find pve, quests, endgames, hundreds of maps and similar. Its old, good Counter Strike, much tactics very little brainless grinding. What's wrong with this game, then? I think it's very poor idea how to make profit at free-to-play game. To many premium items, unable to create platoon without premium account and boosting xp gain for real life cash. It's all not mandatory and is not influencing game that much. But on the other hand if so many elements is extra paid maybe it just should be a game with monthly subscription. The second thing that is annoying is amount of grinding. Advancing a tank from tier 2 to tier 3 takes around 40 games. I believe the only reason why so many games is required, is the game design. They tried to add endgame content (in this case tier 10 tanks) and such endgame should require some time spent to achieve. But on the other hand, does anyone searched endgame in Counter Strike? It was just a tactical shooter and as such WoT in my humbler opinion should stay.

Overall. Game is good, it's just not perfect and I'm not even sure if in the next 2 years it'll be here. But for now, it's kinda interesting tactical shooter. I recommend it, to give at least one shoot and try.
  18. Aug 15, 2012
    World of Tanks garners very strong opinions. Most people seem to either love it, or hate it. The biggest challenge seems to be the learning curve when starting the game. It takes awhile to learn the various strengths and weaknesses of the various vehicles and adjust your play style accordingly. For those who take a more casual 'run and gun' arcade approach to the game, they will frequentlyWorld of Tanks garners very strong opinions. Most people seem to either love it, or hate it. The biggest challenge seems to be the learning curve when starting the game. It takes awhile to learn the various strengths and weaknesses of the various vehicles and adjust your play style accordingly. For those who take a more casual 'run and gun' arcade approach to the game, they will frequently be frustrated until they find the handful of tanks which match their play style. Balance is fairly good and constantly being adjusted based on statistical analysis and player feedback, but this is by far the biggest point of contention amongst players. One one side there will be a perceived imbalance for a certain tank or class of tanks while the other side will insist that those who complain simply don't know how to play their tanks properly.

The micro transaction model is actually quite convenient, and can be affordable if you are careful. Going from tier 1 to 5 (there are 10 tiers) can usually be accomplished quite easily with the 'free to play' model. Once you hit tier 7, it becomes difficult as without a paid Premium Account, you tend to lose more money per battle than you make on tier 7+ vehicles. This can be offset by keeping a mix of lower tier 'money making' tanks which fund the higher tier tanks in your in-game garage. The 'premium vehicles' which can be purchased directly, or indirectly with in-game gold (gold is purchased through micro transactions) are typically stronger than non-upgraded tanks within their own tier. Once a normal non-premium vehicle has been properly upgraded and researched they are usually on par with or better than the premium vehicles with only a few exceptions. The big draw for the premium vehicles is that the amount of money and experience they earn is much higher than a normal tank and maintenance costs are usually lower.

The game play itself is quite addictive and has an interesting blend of arcade and simulation feel to it. Graphics and effects are good for what they are and can be run on mid range laptops or better. For a player willing to put in the time and effort, you can continue to play this game without spending money on micro transactions through careful management and taking advantage of events such as double XP/money weekends or other specials. For players who are wishing to fast track or play more competitively, micro transactions are the way to go. For the more casual player, the biggest challenge is getting through your first few hundred battles and learning how to play effectively.

Pros:
    -Addictive game play
    -Built in social features such as clan, platoon and company battles
    -Ability to play 1000+ battles before micro transactions become a real asset (or more, through creative play)

Cons:
    -Large community complaints of imbalance of some tanks (perceived and real)
    -Challenging learning curve

My verdict is that this game is certainly worth a try for those willing to put in a bit of a time to learn how to play the game effectively. I have no complains about the micro transactions since the developer offers the game for free initially, and while payment offers an advantage it is not an un-balancing advantage nor is it necessary to enjoy the game.

Cons
  19. Jul 17, 2011
    The game starts slowly and builds on solid tactics and awesome kills. Teamwork,Solo,Wallet Warrior or total free loader, it all plays the same. The first tank you are given is a one shot tin can, it is so awesome to see the difference as time goes by just how much better the tanks get. Speaking of which there are several different kinds. Heavy tanks rule the roost as far as front lineThe game starts slowly and builds on solid tactics and awesome kills. Teamwork,Solo,Wallet Warrior or total free loader, it all plays the same. The first tank you are given is a one shot tin can, it is so awesome to see the difference as time goes by just how much better the tanks get. Speaking of which there are several different kinds. Heavy tanks rule the roost as far as front line gauntlets soaking damage. Medium tanks work best as hit and run grinders. Light tanks run in as close as possible to the action to spot out the tank positions. SPG's (self propelled guns) are the real firepower of the game laying out tremendous damage from across the map but they are balanced well with a firing ring and timing needs. The firing ring is essentially just a circle of dots where the shell may theoretically hit. Destroying a tank at full speed is a sight to behold. Finally Tank Destroyers are the snipers of the game so to speak, staying in cover for ambush operations. Every type has its strengths and weaknesses which make for some interesting battles to say the least. The 'lobby' is basically your hangar, which is graphically just more fancy with a premium (paid) account and with premium comes other perks such as bonus XP in battle. The game really does exhibit some depth of play and a lot of work has obviously been put into the interface/leveling system. The experience you get per battle will vary depending on your performance as well as winning or losing. As for in-game currency you have Credits with which to purchase items like tanks and modules to mount. The Gold in-game is valuable to convert your experience that you've earned into a lump sum of XP called FREE XP. That free XP can be used for upgrades on other tanks/modules and converting it with gold bought with real world money is really not an advantage other than saving time. The premium tanks bought with in-game gold are already fully equipped and seem to yield higher than normal XP/Credits per round. End-Game is just as fun as there are usually about 4 tiers of tanks in any one battle up to and including tier 10 which at the time of this review is only available for the Heavy tanks and maybe a Destroyer or two. There are also currently 3 factions, Russia (Dev's are Russian ((hint hint)) America and Germany. All can compete also in not just solo random matches but in platoons with friends of up to 3 people and companies of up to 15 people and with a Clan (guild) system as well. There is even a world map of domination gameplay where some of the larger clans battle for countries on a global scale. All in all....I cannot recommend this game highly enough. Just be prepared for some early frustration in the newbie tanks and some grinding into the upper tiers as per any MMO. Thanks for reading. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    I love this game. {Game play}

I love this game. {Game play}

one thing that surprised me was how deep the game play is. you really have to communicate with your team to win and try to inform your team what's happening. Ex: who you're attacking or bring they're attention to a spot on the mini map. they even give you 20 seconds to work out a plan. Ex: pure defense, spread out and make a bee line to the enemy base, or 7 tanks defend the base while 2 groups of 4 go out to deal some damage, then 4 people from the base go to aid the groups while 3 stay behind just in case there's an enemy that the other groups didn't spot and or destroyed that is heading for your base assuming everyone gone out to attack. As you can see, this game kinda encourages strategy and communication. a team that doesn't have either will most likely lose, hence the players that like to suicide rush. there are also extremely helpful tips during the loading screen and those bits of knowledge are worth keeping in mind during battle. Ex:
    "Protect your artillery from light tanks, and they'll protect you from heavy ones."
    " A light or medium tank that believes he is a heavy tank won't last long."
    "Relocation is key to an artillery's survival"
    and you MUST wear headphones during battle, because the crew tells you everything that happens with your tank. this is key because:
    1. you don't always have time to glance down to your tank info screen in the heat of battle.
    2. so many things can happen to your tank and if the crew repairs the problem, they'll tell you what that mean to your game play. Ex:
    " the gun is knocked out!-We fixed the gun, but the accuracy will suffer."
    "The radio man is bleeding, we can't rely on him!"
    "The Engine is knocked out!-We fixed the Engine, but we can't go as fast"
    "the driver's a goner, the controls aren't responding!"
    " track hit, we're immobilized!-We fixed the track, lets go!"

{Tanks}

There are 5 classes of tanks in world of tanks.

Light tank: which excels at scouting and spotting for artillery since they are normally fast, up to 72 km/h.

Medium tanks: which excels at aiding the lights and flank missions.

Heavy tanks: which excels at pushing the team on and soaking up damage for they're team.

Tank Destroyers(TD): which excels at Defending the base and going on ambush missions.

Self Propelled Guns(Artillery): they are the primary fire power of the team. they're fire are in an arch and can cause serious damage to tanks and even one-shot lights, mediums, and tank Destroyers. The most important thing to remember is to press left shift to go in and out out hawk-eye view and once your in that view, the rest is self-explanatory.

( the problem is with SPGs and TDs is that you can't move your turret [the only tank that has a movable turret is the SU-26 SPG] and if you get attacked by the side or back, it's over)

you can research modules and guns through the experience you gain from battle, the experience you gain is the same amount of research points you get, and a bit of experience (commonly 5-20) gets converted to free experience, which you can use to research on any tank.

{Game modes}

The main game mode is standard battle that puts you in a random battle through an auto-team balancer, which can be ridicules at times, putting 6 lights on a team against on with 7 TDs. another one is training mode where you get to pick a map to play on and distribute the tanks that join ( if your the host) so you can be mean and put an entire team against one SPG. but since the matching in training mode is most likely unfair, you don't gain any experience or credits. the last one is tank company, where you can create a team through people joining or inviting friends or random people and when your team is ready to go, you press start and go through a auto-balancer to go against a team around your team level.( you don't have to have the full 15 players and if the team isn't people that know each other, it can take dozens of minutes to finally do battle.) You do get experience and credits. FYI: there is no tank limit to a team, so you can see a MS-1(starter tank) on a team with KV 3 (an elite heavy tank)

{Presentation}

the game is beautiful, the details of the land, the wind on the trees, the dust behind the tanks, the smoke from fallen tanks, the graphics are comparable to that of next gen consoles, so if you have a great computer with a powerful graphics card, prepared to be amazed. and the soundtrack , in my opinion, is the best out of any game I've played. the combat music is so intense and epic that it would make the worst campers jump into battle.

{Overall} this game to me is breath taking. I would recommend this game to anybody. there are a few bugs and stuff but it's version 0.6.3.11 so it's still in beta. NOW GO PLAY THIS GAME.
  21. Jun 11, 2011
    This game is highly recommended for those who are looking for an online game, that doesn't require you to spend gazillion hours to start having fun. Those who give low score, have totally different expectations of this game. This is not a tank simulation, so don't expect 100% accuracy. For me the game has the right blend between realism and fun. Some people have commented this game isThis game is highly recommended for those who are looking for an online game, that doesn't require you to spend gazillion hours to start having fun. Those who give low score, have totally different expectations of this game. This is not a tank simulation, so don't expect 100% accuracy. For me the game has the right blend between realism and fun. Some people have commented this game is grindy. Yes, it becomes a grind if you try to get to the heavy tank class as quickly as possible without enjoying the process. Think of this game as counter strike, with some progression elements. The game play is amazing, it's easy to get into, but has a lot of depth. Try reading the tactics, cause i suck so bad when I first played it. Due to the nature of the game, it's so lag tolerance, in fact i can play this game with 300ms ping and still can do well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, DON'T MISS THIS ONE. Expand
  22. Sep 19, 2013
    This is an MMO-style game.
    If you have ever played any you will know that grinding is a part of gameplay unless you have a big team (in WoT's case, 15 people minimum).
    This is an MMO-style game.
    Game has 10 tiers of tanks, and as you might expect, the higher you get, the longer it takes to 'level up' (or... 'tier up'). Personally, after good 2 years of half hardcore half casual gameplay, I have just 2 Tier 10 vehicles, mostly because top tier's are not always the most entertaining ones. On top of that I own ~20 vehicles between tiers 5 and 9, often unlocked out of curiosity.

To all beginners: this game may be similar to LoL, but it's much more maths/estimation based. You have numbers: armor thickness, penetration, damage, angles weakspots etc that you have to all take into consideration when fighting against stronger enemies. It has a fairly steep learning curve, and it takes time to memorize characteristics of most common tanks in the game.
    Also, if you came here for historical battles, you will be disappointed. This game is actively balanced, meaning Tigers and even King Tigers are just Tier 7 and 8, meaning 20+ tanks can roflstomp you easily if you don't roll your armor using at least a little strategy.

Lastly, the only reason I am giving it 9 out of 10, is because I did experience the feeling you get when you keep getting vs 2-Tier-Higher-Tanks style battles (which used to be up to 5 Tier higher in early days). Which can and will be annoying until you get to know the armor you fight against
  23. Vea
    Aug 15, 2013
    Great game that gives a lot of fun.

PS. Most of those negative votes comes from polish ppl that became angry about some writings on USSR tanks. Imho it's pathetic since those tanks are from the II WW times and yes kids Stalin was a bad person but still he lived. He made impact on history of those times. (and I'm also from Poland but still, I think WG didn't do anything wrong).
  24. Jun 6, 2011
    This game got me hooked off one of the other large MMO's around (hint: same name as a storm). Please do not be thrown off by the uninspired title, it's an awesome game; think counter strike with tanks. If your the kinda person who enjoys tactics and gameplay over pure graphics then this is for you, if you want developers talking about different gameplay features instead of how they'reThis game got me hooked off one of the other large MMO's around (hint: same name as a storm). Please do not be thrown off by the uninspired title, it's an awesome game; think counter strike with tanks. If your the kinda person who enjoys tactics and gameplay over pure graphics then this is for you, if you want developers talking about different gameplay features instead of how they're creating some new 'awesome' engine which boasts 10x better graphics then please try a 'le look' franchise like CoD. This game has a fresh feel about it, a step back from the postmodern, homologous and uninspiring wasteland that the game industry is slowly creeping towards.

In short I love it, and I recon you will to.
  25. Jun 25, 2012
    This game is quite nice game,even tho it seems easy its not really noob friendly ,especially after tier 7.. so most of people who wrote bad reviews are probably people who played total time of 7ish hours and made a judgement over game that require hours and hours and hoooours of practise
  26. May 27, 2011
    Excellent game! Perfect for all people, who want to spend their time effectively. Realistic game details in combination with faithful graphics bring real enjoyment. I play this game every day since Beta version and I´m still impressed by all those tanks. And that´s the next thing I like. A lot of tanks to play with and the next are on their way! Often a lot ofExcellent game! Perfect for all people, who want to spend their time effectively. Realistic game details in combination with faithful graphics bring real enjoyment. I play this game every day since Beta version and I´m still impressed by all those tanks. And that´s the next thing I like. A lot of tanks to play with and the next are on their way! Often a lot of patches are released and they bring more and more things to the game. Developers and Support team members are very friendly and they always help you, if you need them. One year ago I didn't know any tank of the World War II. Now I know all the tanks! Developers, thank you very much for so perfect game! Expand
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    I think it's fun, probably my favorite game out there right now (2013). I can play for about 1-2 hours a day tops though. Lotta variety in tanks, fairly friendly community (compared to warthunder), most maps are decent, but some maps are simply not fun and tend to ruin a match. Some people whine about pay-to-win nature of the game, I haven't paid for anything and I still find it fun andI think it's fun, probably my favorite game out there right now (2013). I can play for about 1-2 hours a day tops though. Lotta variety in tanks, fairly friendly community (compared to warthunder), most maps are decent, but some maps are simply not fun and tend to ruin a match. Some people whine about pay-to-win nature of the game, I haven't paid for anything and I still find it fun and do well (can get top gun medal, which is 6+ kills per match). Expand
  28. Dec 20, 2013
    Literally this game has changed the game scene. Lots of haters and clones only prove this. You want to play online in a mighty tank crashing everything around? Do that here!

1. Games Master UK
    Dec 18, 2012
    Bucketloads of depth and surprisingly simple to jump into. It's free, too! [Jan 2013, p.84]
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    World of Tanks is the ultimate tank battle game, and with a price tag of 0 whatever your currency is - there really isn't anything major to complain about.
  3. Apr 10, 2012
    It combines aspects of great RPG games and first person shooters, wraps them into a package that will appeal to the historian, and tosses in a dash of addiction to combine into one great final product.