X Rebirth PC

3.2

1. Nov 19, 2013
    I've played for 10 hours now and I'm sad to say, if there's any purchase I've regretted this year; it's X: Rebirth. This abomination is a shallow, arcady what feels like console game. It's nothing like the previous X games and I'm confused why they even bothered to name it X. Not even considering the bugs, this game is full of bad design decisions.

The only positive is that I like the

The only positive is that I like the space highways (though less the "slipstream minigame) as it makes the game feel more alive and like one universe.
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    I have been anticipating this game for months and have been bitterly let down. It has few of the good qualities the previous games in the series have, I would not recommend it to anyone who enjoys the older x series games.
    It deserves a 4/10 from the standpoint of a player new to the x series.If you are really desperate for a space fix and dislike X:AP, X:TC and X3 then maybe you should buy this game. The graphics in space are fantastic when your not forced to look at your copilot.
    DON'T BUY THIS IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN IMPROVEMENT ON THE PREVIOUS X GAMES!
  3. Nov 16, 2013
    Total disappointment.

I have played all the previous games. This one is nothing like before. Horrible design, full of bugs. Totally not worth the money.
  4. Nov 16, 2013
    The game has a good atmosphere and a nice looking universe. Otherwise X Rebirth is a HUGE step backwards compared to other X games.

It is an extremely buggy realease and feels like a paid beta-version. Most of the ingame-functions don't work properly, UI is horrible and clunky to handle (especially if you're used to the UI of the other X-titles), you can only fly one single ship ever, bad performance on good machines (I get 5-10 FPS most of the times on an i7 3.4GHz, GTX570), etc.

The voice-acting is extremely poor, like they used programmers to narrate the text 1:1 from a script. Additionally voice isn't even synched to lips many times.

To charge 50€ for this and call it a successor of the X-series is an insult and joke to all the X-fans. It is unbelievable that Egosoft let this game pass Quality testing.
  5. Nov 17, 2013
    This is not a X-game. This is full failure. To pity, Egosoft. Return with new and REALY cool cosmic simulator. We will wait and hope for this. Maybe....
  6. EJX
    Nov 17, 2013
    Despite repeated assurances that the game would not be dumbed down for consoles, and that console releases were not planned, Egosoft have finally admitted that they're interested in looking at the next-gen consoles, and that the interface (which is the worst yet) was heavily inspired by this.

A locked-in universe which expands via a long and pretty awful plot (in terms of voice acting and models), lack of control over player's assets, the total opposite of what was promised in terms of interface, a single ship, gimmicky mini-games and first-person mechanics, and a general feel of un-finished-ness make the game a huge don't-buy. Coupled with an extremely buggy launch, the fact that the developers refuse to recognise it's practically X3 but worse, and the sight of 90% of the former fanbase leaving, it looks like this game may remain that way for a long time.

They were aiming for streamlining and accessibility whilst retaining the previous feel of complexity.
    They achieved a game too shallow, lacking, and simple for former fans to enjoy whilst making it too slow, buggy, and confusing for newer fans.

Their failure to admit that they took a wrong design decision, and failure to acknowledge that after 7 and a half years of game and engine development the engine is inadequate and the game feels like it was rushed in 3 months, only makes this a harder issue to bear.

Egosoft have, unfortunately, sold out to the "casual" gamer and ruined their reputation amongst their own community quite possibly for ever, and the fact they couldn't even do it properly has left them drifting in-between genres, too much of an insult to one group and too broken and confusing for a second.
    Forever they will be the small developer who found the mainstream... and drowned in it.
  7. Nov 16, 2013
    Fistly: im not the "its bad because they changed it" kind of fan. I was really looking forward to this game because I liked the changes they planned (faster game focused on new players. More accessible but still complex). So far Im very dissapointed. Controls are not intuitive and very slow (most of the stuff is done by talking to npcs. This will get old very quickly. And then looking forFistly: im not the "its bad because they changed it" kind of fan. I was really looking forward to this game because I liked the changes they planned (faster game focused on new players. More accessible but still complex). So far Im very dissapointed. Controls are not intuitive and very slow (most of the stuff is done by talking to npcs. This will get old very quickly. And then looking for new captain will just slow you down). And the game is buggy too much. Keeps crashing (great combination with no autosave). And there are mission breaking bugs. Me with many other players am not able to finish even the tutorial. Stuck on energy cells mission. Until there is some serious patch or two, avoid this game. It is Simcity all over againn Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    Each time I play this game I like it less. Not a game for fans of the X series. Graphics are bad, performance is horrible, gameplay is awful. The interface nearly gave me a stroke it was that infuriatingly bad. You can only fly 1 ship. Which only has 4 weapons to choose from, and can only use 1 weapon at a time.

I was really looking forward to this game, I've tried multiple times to

I was really looking forward to this game, I've tried multiple times to like it, and it just keeps getting worse. Congrats Egosoft on this massive ****-up.
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is poor. Horrible FPS on lowest settings on a decent computer. But ignoring the performance issues.

The game is confusing, restrictive, and boring. There are countless bugs, and there is very little to actually do in game. To be blunt, the game isn't very fun.
  10. Nov 15, 2013
    Ein wirklich schlechtes Spiel, unvollständig und verbuggt.
    Es ist eine Frechheit sowas den Kunden zu verkaufen.

Es fehlen sogar Sprachdateien im Spiel.
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    Utterly rubbish game, not worth the asking price of £40. Either egosoft purposely chose not to hire a Quality Assurance team or they knew about the bugs but rushed this game out before the Christmas dead line.
    The campaign is unplayable, bug after bug after bug. I feel like I have paid £40 to beta test the game for them.
    You can only fly one ship, there are only two commands to control
    You can only fly one ship, there are only two commands to control the ships/fleet you buy/capture and they don’t work. The dialog is repetitive, tedious and annoying. (You thought Skyrims ‘arrow to the knee’ was bad you have not seen anything yet).
    All the station look the same inside, and it looks like women in the future are all undergoing cancer treatment or egosoft has no idea how to program hair physics
    Trading is buggy and does not work, the enemy system is buggy to the point you get punished for defending yourself from attacking enemies and so can only run away.
    Performance on high end PC is bad with an fps of 10-20.
    I strongly recommend you do not buy this game, this is not a £40 game.
    Egosoft you have literally stole from you costumers and should feel ashamed of yourself.
  12. Nov 17, 2013
    Ok, I have never posted on Metacritic before but feel the need now because of this BLATANTLY false advertising of X-STILLBORN. This game is NOTHING like the previous X games; EGOCRAP took the beautiful complexity of the game and dumbed it down to sell it to the console crowd. They took everything that made the X universe so vast and 'sandboxy' and turned it into 4 space stations, flyingOk, I have never posted on Metacritic before but feel the need now because of this BLATANTLY false advertising of X-STILLBORN. This game is NOTHING like the previous X games; EGOCRAP took the beautiful complexity of the game and dumbed it down to sell it to the console crowd. They took everything that made the X universe so vast and 'sandboxy' and turned it into 4 space stations, flying of only 1 ship, no camera views, no remote management of resources in an ordered manner, etc... the list goes on. DO NOT BUY and DO NOT SUPPORT EGOSOFT going forth. They knew this product was fecal matter but wanted to push the product out. They had 7 years to develop this. 7 years!! WTF were they doing? Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    The best part of Rebirth is certainly being able to see the potential of the game, but unfortunately the worst is seeing that potential hasn't been fulfilled. Being able to see what could have been, makes the game's short comings oh-so-clear as if against a backdrop of expectation. The interaction on board your ship is momentarily a pleasant reminder of Mass Effect, but due to the graphicsThe best part of Rebirth is certainly being able to see the potential of the game, but unfortunately the worst is seeing that potential hasn't been fulfilled. Being able to see what could have been, makes the game's short comings oh-so-clear as if against a backdrop of expectation. The interaction on board your ship is momentarily a pleasant reminder of Mass Effect, but due to the graphics quality and limited world interaction, the visuals feel flat and useless. This goes for space stations, too, where interaction is limited and looting chests like a Link from Legend of Zelda game (great series, no offense intended) cheapens the games commitment to providing a fulfilling space simulation that has been the highlight of previous X series games. Add clunky UI and, unfortunately, the immersion just isn't there. Also, with the current game breaking bugs which are being addressed by the company it's difficult to expect the many sand box elements that have defined the genre will save the game from it's current disappointing condition. Keep an eye on the game, but buying it now will leave you wishing Rebirth wasn't born at all. Expand
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is broken and is an insult to the simulation genre.

This game is broken and is an insult to the simulation genre.

It's an arcade game posing as a simulator. Your ship has 0 functions. You just fly through space and shoot stuff if it appears in front of you. You have no radar, no ability to lock onto anything without manually clicking on it, no cycling targets, etc. You have no way to know if an enemy ship in combat is coming up behind you unless it starts shooting at you. There is zero situational awareness.

And on top of that there was obviously no quality control because half the missions in the game are broken and require reloading and trying over and over again to get them to luckily continue. The first hour of the game took me about 3 hours to get past due to constantly relaoding upon hitting mission breaking bugs.

Don't waste your money.
  15. Nov 16, 2013
    It's not even about the hundreds of bugs or lack of optimization. It is poorly designed. The game is boring, trivial, there is no complexity, control is terrible, some mini games for five year old kids.
  16. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible. Horrible UI. Terrible NPC character models and voice acting. Only one ship able to be piloted. Simple tasks from previous games made tedious. It's like they've taken all the fun things from the previous X games and taken them out the back and had them shot and then replaced them with tedium and poorly designed systems. And the final straw is the thing is full of bugs.Terrible. Horrible UI. Terrible NPC character models and voice acting. Only one ship able to be piloted. Simple tasks from previous games made tedious. It's like they've taken all the fun things from the previous X games and taken them out the back and had them shot and then replaced them with tedium and poorly designed systems. And the final straw is the thing is full of bugs. Massive disappointment. Expand
  17. Nov 17, 2013
    Flawed design and failed gameplay. Nice gfx except for NPC and interiors being too similar. Wait a year and you will get a slightly better freelancer type game. This is not a X game at all.
  18. Nov 17, 2013
    After six months of patching and fixing it will be something like Edge Of Chaos or Freelancer. But of course not a sequel of X Universe.
    Everything is broken for now. And most saddest thing is that game is broken because of poor design decision. This cannot be fixed by patches. I think it will be fixed in future DLCs, for a ammount of money of course.
  19. Nov 17, 2013
    Honestly, an abortion from the time it loads up, horrible unoptimised graphics and shoddy voice acting and overall game play make for a shallow sad attempt to take the '"X"series forwards. Tons of bugs including not being able to select 1080p as a screen resolution for many players being just the tip of the iceberg.

Shocking, and no amount of persons claiming all X games were shoddy at

Shocking, and no amount of persons claiming all X games were shoddy at launch will save this, the previous X games were playable at launch... this is not and whoever pulled the trigger to release this should be unless refunds are offered.

1. fired
    2. tried for crimes to the genre.
    3. Hung
    4. All of the above
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    An alpha or beta game at best, your ship has been stripped of almost all it's former features and I hope you like the ship you start with...because that's it it's all you're going to fly.

All the more strategic elements of the x universe are now nested behind unhelpful and repetitive menus. Highly disappointing please I urge you reader not to reward this kind of release, don't buy

Highly disappointing please I urge you reader not to reward this kind of release, don't buy until it's on sale if you can wait...If not at least give it a few weeks to see if any real support will be given.
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    7years and they come with this?
    This game isn't even worth a in depth review,i played they other x3 series wich are far better than this piece of.....
  22. Nov 16, 2013
    First, my background, very briefly, so you know where I'm coming from: I have about 300 hours in X3: Terran Conflict, and probably that many in X2: The Threat, before that. X2 to X3 was magnificent; more beautiful, bigger, everything you could want.

X Rebirth is absolutely beautiful, on the surface- not counting the character models. Ships and stations are intricately detailed (from the outside) and beautifully (if pointlessly) animated. A first for X games, your own ship has a detailed interior, and you can even "stand up" to walk around in the rear compartment. (Though not around the and nothing in the ship is interactive in the slightest.)

That's about everything positive about this game. The actual user interface is awful; there's no hotkey support, and there isn't even a key to target enemies- you have to do it all with the mouse (and how you'd manage with a gamepad or joystick, I have no idea.)

You're forced to land on stations and walk around the station interface (where graphics performance is much worse than out in space, surprisingly given how small these and sparse these interiors are) and "talk" to people, which involves engaging in a mini-game to perform "smalltalk" (the mini-game, at least at the beginning of the game, is laughably easy). In X3, this was handled invisibly; you had the impression of being at the helm of a major trading corporation, as you grew more powerful, dealing personally only with things like having a new station built, rather than hiring individuals to crew the ships in your fleet.

Speaking of mini-games, there are other ones, as well- travel between sectors is a mini-game of switching "lanes" to increase your speed; using your ship's long range sensors is a mini-game of holding down 'R' just until a sound reaches a certain point; even interacting with stations involves a mini-game of (a) literally searching it for somewhere to land before awkwardly trying to double-click on an icon, and then click again to land; and (b) searching for "info nodes" that somehow add up to you getting a station discount (which involves flying circles and circles around the station looking for modules.)

The minigames add nothing other than annoyance to a game that already started as a disappointment; advertised as though it were X4, when in reality is' beautiful but unpleasant knockoff on the franchise.

By and large, the issues aren't bugs (although there are tons of those); they're conscious design decisions. The developers don't like autopilot, so there's no autopilot present, unlike previous games; the developers decided a detailed walkable interior was more important than being able to directly command a variety of ships, so you only ever get to fly the one ship.

Overall, don't buy. If you're a fan of previous X games, you'll just be frustrated and disappointed. If you're a fan of hardcore space sims, you're looking in way the wrong place. If you're a fan of economy sims, this doesn't have what you want.
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    I have played in excess of 12 hours since the launch... the more I play it, the more angry I get. I cannot believe I wasted my hard earned money on such a disappointment of a game! I was excited that a faster pace, easier to use interface was going to be created in this new X, but there is so much missing from the other series.... The bugs are everywhere... There are repeats, music,I have played in excess of 12 hours since the launch... the more I play it, the more angry I get. I cannot believe I wasted my hard earned money on such a disappointment of a game! I was excited that a faster pace, easier to use interface was going to be created in this new X, but there is so much missing from the other series.... The bugs are everywhere... There are repeats, music, characters on all docks... you can only get one pilotable ship!! which sucks... and cannot switch it. The missions, specially the escort missions, the ships are stupid and get stuck, or don't move... The game is unfinished, unpolished and purely a waste of money. If I could get my money back, I would! Egosoft, you really did us in this time! Expand
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    Here are some impressions after just 16 hours of play:

The Good: Flying around space feels great and looks great. Combat is good, and weapons pack a decent punch. Sound assets and music are of high quality. The bad: - One plot mission requires players to edit scripts within their steam directory in order for it to activate. For a full price release this is unacceptable and
    Here are some impressions after just 16 hours of play:

The Good:
    Flying around space feels great and looks great.
    Combat is good, and weapons pack a decent punch.
    Sound assets and music are of high quality.

The bad:
    - One plot mission requires players to edit scripts within their steam directory in order for it to activate. For a full price release this is unacceptable and gamebreaking.
    - Bugs, glitches, and crashes. In every plot mission.
    - Poorly implemented gameplay elements have caused players to have to reload plot missions for example one mission requires the player to take control of a 'hacker drone' forcing them to relinquish control of the main ship during a heated battle. This results in the player's ship getting shot at (while the player instead controls the drone), and then the ship gets destroyed, forcing a 'game over'.
    - Dialog is very repetitive and there are already mods that have been released specifically to remove the amount of repetition there is.
    - Lack of laser and missile types.
    - NPC models are ugly and assets are heavily re-used. NPCs also perform squats while talking to them.
    - Locating a merchant of a particular type (eg. drone merchant) is impossible as there is no station information anywhere to provide their location.
    - The player's ship can get attacked while it is docked at stations.
    - The player's ship can get attacked and destroyed during cutscenes.

Overall:
    Post patch this game could achieve a 7. As it stands, broken plot missions and the requirement for editing the script files of the steam directory will infuriate players and push them away from what could be a good game.

Players who do not understand Javascript and computer programming, or who do not wish to engage in this to make the game function properly look elsewhere.
  25. Nov 15, 2013
    I felt compelled to create and account just to warn people.

This game is complete and utter trash. For starters, it won't work. If you like trying a game because you have some desire to play every game that has ever come out, wait a few months before trying to play this. You won't be able to play it yet. It's too buggy, very laggy, crashes a lot, and many of the missions have issues.
    I felt compelled to create and account just to warn people.

This game is complete and utter trash.

But okay, let's pretend it works, once you make your way through a menu that feels more like a console port than any ACTUAL console port I've seen, you get in to the game....which looks like crap. The looks OKAY but many effects are cheesy and the atmosphere constantly has stars flying by right next to you because apparently crawing in space at 20mph causes stars to be pulled near your ship and stretched out thin like noodles. It's like the star wars warp effect, only the stars are next to your ship, and instead of warping, you're going slower than a PT cruiser.

That is the prettiest part of the game. Then you get to the back of the ship, which looks like it, and the character models, were taken right out of a sightly, and I mean slightly, higher resolution of half life 1.

If you still are hoping for gameplay...Well you're SOL. All aspects currently are too buggy to fully play out, but all if it is dull, despite stripping away depth to add "immersion" and "action". The immersion is apparently taking 5 minutes of going straight to get to anywhere you need to go, and being in a while you're in a neck brace because you can't look around at ALL. Avoid this at all costs. Maybe get it on a steam sale for $5 this winter once it's actually playable, but you still won't actually be having fun.
  26. Nov 17, 2013
    I'm deeply disappointed in Egosoft and Deep Silver. They are both two companies I look up to and I've waited since the beginning of 2013 for the release of this "masterpiece". Surprisingly, the sequel is nothing compared to its predecessors and I'm left with no words to describe the fall of a great franchise. This game had huge potential, but something went very wrong. Adjusting the seriesI'm deeply disappointed in Egosoft and Deep Silver. They are both two companies I look up to and I've waited since the beginning of 2013 for the release of this "masterpiece". Surprisingly, the sequel is nothing compared to its predecessors and I'm left with no words to describe the fall of a great franchise. This game had huge potential, but something went very wrong. Adjusting the series to new players is a good thought, but the result is a complete betrayal to the loyal community and all the fans.

I want to praise them for exploring a new concept with in-door exploration, but using the same environments repeated times won't keep the players around for a long time. There is also a huge imbalance in the graphics, where the universe is a lovable eye candy and the rest of the game's graphics is completely outdated.

I understand that it's not easy to run a gaming company, but this is almost ridiculous. The game is nearly broken at release, and the whole sense of roleplaying is very restricted compared to the other X games in the series. So an overall summary of the game would be, broken and over ambitious. I hope this won't put a shadow over the X series, because it's one of the best space simulators ever created and also one of the best games I've played. I'm talking about X3, obviously.

I asked for a refund, without any doubt. It's the first time I've had to do that, and I hope it will be the last as well.
  27. Nov 17, 2013
    For a sandbox game this is severely limited. The interface is tedious and frustrating. The mapping and system is useless, and the trading system is excruciating. The graphics are nice, but top heavy. You have to fly everywhere. Docking is clumsy and tedious.

They put too much effort in making it a game to be controlled by a gamepad, and stripped most of the great functionality inherent in its predecessors.

A console game in PC clothing.

My recommendation is that instead of purchasing this, purchase X2 and or X3 on steam, which are being sold for decent prices on steam. Do not waste your time or money on this.

This should be a considered a prequel for X Beyond the Frontier.
  28. Nov 15, 2013
    Before you read the following, understand I have played X games for 10 years, I have 1000's of hours played. This is a constructive synopsis of my feelings towards Rebirth.

Reading the egosoft forums over the last 4 months, there have been three camps of players, those who moan and besmirch the game and everything about it, the players who think positive and say everything will be great, and those who sit on the fence with the wait and see attitude.

I did my best to not get too excited about Rebirth, I erred towards the wait and see attitude, for me its better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised, instead of high expectations and be sadly disappointed.

So after seven years waiting, 1000's of hours played in the X universe, the day of release comes to pass. Time moves along a few hours of playing and what do we have. Even with my low expectations, am I pleasantly surprised? Sadly not, I feel numb inside to what has happened to X in its current incarnation of Rebirth. It feels like a chore to play, not an entertaining open ended sandbox universe its meant to be.

Regards
    Flea
  29. Nov 15, 2013
    Should have been called 'X Afterbirth', as that is exactly what it feels like. A game that was developed for consoles and then aborted to be back ported shoddily onto the PC. An insult to every fan of the series.

Teach me to buy something on day of release. I will drop for now and wait for (potentially) them to fix it. Frankly, I want my money back.
  30. Nov 15, 2013
    Having loved ALL the previous X games, I was SO looking forward to this one. The trailer looked absolutely amazing and got me drooling. I was willing to spend all those hours flying through the massive space, having on auto-pilot, being able to zoom and scroll through maps, flying all the different ships. Sadly, none of those features exist. You are completely locked with a full view, noHaving loved ALL the previous X games, I was SO looking forward to this one. The trailer looked absolutely amazing and got me drooling. I was willing to spend all those hours flying through the massive space, having on auto-pilot, being able to zoom and scroll through maps, flying all the different ships. Sadly, none of those features exist. You are completely locked with a full view, no auto-pilot, having to walk around space stations that all spawn from the same template. Talking to 2 different NPC's throughout the game.

Sadly, I'm afraid I wasted my money and so will you. I'd rather play X3 at the moment.
  31. Nov 16, 2013
    Utter crap, 9 year old visuals, insanely boring gameplay, silly story, and those PC controllers *shivers*. Avoid at all cost if you're a fan of the X franchise.Or if you even thought for a second to spend money on this game.
  32. Nov 16, 2013
    All of the 10 ratings are lies and obviously paid reputation management personnel. I was so excited about this game like so many others only to be shocked and disgusted at the total and epic failure.

Although the game has alot of ships and feels alive in a sense, thats the only thing it has going for it. Every other aspect of the game is horrible, garbage and invokes an indescribable sense of RAGE at the fact that Egosoft would take a dump on its loyal fan base.

1.No joystick support
    2.No Controls Settings WTF
    3.Game barely functions above a 15 framerate with SLI 550Ti Enthusiast editions on lowest settings.
    4.Graphics in stations make me want to puke all over myself.
    5.How can the developers release the poor NPC models without laughing so hard they cried?? Must have been some good weed they were smoking...
    6.The UI is the worst I have ever seen... EVER. Clunky, Buggy... and difficult.
    7. no keyboard controls for targeting, no external camera views, no freelook??? WTF WTF!
    8. No real control over ships??? How am I suppose to have an empire exactly??? TOTAL FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!

I could go ON and ON literally about how BAD this game is compared to any other X game, or just about any other space sim... even the BAD space sims from 2002 are more fun that this game and at least they worked!!

I have engaged in a chargeback through Paypal against Valve (STEAM). This game is a total and complete fraud... I will fight for my refund until the bitter end!

Moral of the story: I'm Fu**ING PISSED OFF.
  33. Nov 17, 2013
    this game is only alpha- buggy stuff. DO NOT BUY! Spend your money on Elite Dangerous or Star Citizen. Do not believe the nice-video-lies! This game has nothing to do with the old nice x-universe.
  34. Nov 18, 2013
    Changing my rating from 3 to 0, because it came to light that Egosoft tried to use the PC customers for testing some XBOX360 stuff. No wonder the game is that bad.
  35. Nov 17, 2013
    I just can't describe how dissapointed, sad and angry i am.
    Egosoft just ripped out every single awesome aspect of previous games and left a dumb spaceshooter for easiely satisfied kids....

I fear there won't be a coming back from what they have done.
    Our loved X series high likely came to an end.
  36. Nov 18, 2013
    Rebirth is so buggy it is literally unplayable. NPCs and objectives disappear randomly and the interface stops responding in every game I have played. Furthermore there are really poor design decisions too, like the lack of support for joysticks (in a PC space sim game? Really??), uninspired station layout, and how you have to use your crew for every task
  37. Nov 16, 2013
    Everything starting from the user interface to game design is horrible. Just a set of incoherent and bugged systems. Don't know if developers will fix all that, according to scale of the disaster, but at the moment it is completely unplayable for me.
  38. Nov 18, 2013
    Loved the X series. This one will maybe be good in 1 year after the incredible amount of bugs, ergonomy failures and functionnalities loss has been corrected. For now I feel abused having spent that much. have about 12h in game, with 3h reporting and reading about bugs. Frustration and deception are the words for what I feel with that to be rebirth alpha game.
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    Awful disappointment for those of us who were fans of the previous games. You only get ONE ship, its upgradability is negligible. Gameplay bugs and issues all over the place causing the game to lag and be completely unplayable, even with computers who have powerful video cards. Many many many bugs which cause your save to be either corrupted, or removes a plot item causing your storylineAwful disappointment for those of us who were fans of the previous games. You only get ONE ship, its upgradability is negligible. Gameplay bugs and issues all over the place causing the game to lag and be completely unplayable, even with computers who have powerful video cards. Many many many bugs which cause your save to be either corrupted, or removes a plot item causing your storyline to ground to a halt, forcing you to RESTART the storyline. Expand
  40. Nov 16, 2013
    This game suffers from three things primarily: 1) Terrible Optimization, Performance, and general bugs 2) A staggering number of poor design decisions 3) Awful NPC modeling, interaction, and dialog/voice overs. Honestly if you had me play this and told me it was an alpha release I wouldn't argue with you.

So let's start with number 1. This game appears to have never been tested to work by anyone. If the devs tested it they would have probably caught the fact that FPS drops don't just happen once in a while, they happen constantly to everyone. Doesn't matter if you have a $3000 state of the art PC or a six year old Dell you aren't going to have good FPS unless you get really lucky. One of the devs has admitted they never bothered to optimize for high end PCs on the Steam Game Forums. That tells you something right there about the state of this release. How do you not optimize a game before putting it out? That's like selling a brand new car where the engine has never been tuned to run properly, no one in their right mind does that. Add a mess of bugs that not only break the storyline but literally fling you millions of KM away from your destination or get your ship stuck inside of parts of the stations to that and you have the recipe right there for a massive failure of a game. That isn't all though.

So number 2 is design. What do I mean by poor design decisions? I mean things like the fact that to interact with the game's NPCs and your own ship's systems and such you have to use a radial menu akin to the conversation wheel from Mass Effect. Yes a system designed entirely for a controller's ease of use on a modern day PC "exclusive." Which brings us to the fact that the mouse and keyboard are seemingly tacked on as an afterthought. Where most games use hotkeys for the keyboard this game basically gives you a handful, mostly for accessing maps and the radial menu and that is it. You can't just get to your inventory with I, no, you have to go through the radial menu. The mouse of course is hard to use due to the fact that all the icons are tiny and have to be double clicked if you intend to use it. Good luck. You can click at them several times before the game actually registers the double click.

Now if you've finally managed to double click and get into dock you get to experience what might be the biggest failing of this game by far. The "Walking in Stations" feature. Coupled with the NPCs I will discuss in a second, you have roughly three layouts possible for interiors. Three. In 2013. In these stations you will find the vendors that let you sell the random crap you find in capsules that drop from popped ships and in the crates that are scattered throughout the station that no one seems to mind you stealing and also let you buy more random crap or upgrade your ship. You'll also find all your crew members in these stations. Mind you, you'll have to really hunt for them since each platform doesn't have each person and some of those people are not even available to hire despite being listed in the platform's little info window, who even knows why. Once you finally do hire one they go to your ship where you have to fly them to the ship you want them in, dock up, and go through the radial menu to tell them they work there now. Yes for every crew member and for every ship. Thank god you don't have to completely staff a cap ship will all the thousands of personnel it would probably require right?

So one last design flaw before I move on to NPCs. Station outsides. They are big, they are beautiful, and they seem to be thriving with life from the outside. Yet their size combines with what has to be the most awful design idea ever to make them the most tedious part of the game. Seriously to dock up you have to find a platform designated by a symbol of what that platform supposedly is like a bar or something and get super close to it to even be able to interact with it to choose to dock. Same goes with scanning the station to get information, you have to get close to the little "i" bubbles or mission/trade icons to scan. This leads me to believe this system was designed solely to show off the pretty artwork and nothing else and makes using the stations take forever.

So NPCs are downright just garbage. If you've played Everquest those NPCs are actually better than these and those things barely interacted at all and looked nothing like a human or whatever but at least they could move. These ones just stand still all the time and repeat the same terrible dialog over and over with what has to be the worst voice acting I've heard since the PS1. You'll hear your copilot repeat the same docking line every time you dock and your character will repeat "Show me your wares, please" every time you talk to a vendor. Yeah downright quality there.

This all combines to make a game that is unimaginably horrid for 2013 or really even 2003. It is clearly meant for console porting and is nothing like the previous X games. Stay away.
  41. Nov 18, 2013
    I've been a fan of the X series from X3 Reunion and its deep, matured and complex gameplay that reminded me of game from the past. See, I've been playing games since the Amstrad CPC 6128 all the way to the entire PC era. But this... this! I can't recall having seen such an atrocious release of a game ever, and I've seen a few! The debacle is of catastrophic proportion both for the usersI've been a fan of the X series from X3 Reunion and its deep, matured and complex gameplay that reminded me of game from the past. See, I've been playing games since the Amstrad CPC 6128 all the way to the entire PC era. But this... this! I can't recall having seen such an atrocious release of a game ever, and I've seen a few! The debacle is of catastrophic proportion both for the users and Egosoft.

It's completely crippled with bugs, as is often the trend nowadays, but I never saw such an enormous lot of game breaking ones that prevents you to achieve missions in campaign thus stopping the game until you find the weirdest of alt-tabbing and game saves editing and what-not work-arounds.

But far more importantly, as bugs like this can be ironed out with patches, the game totally sinks from idiotic and schockingly puzzling design decisions that makes every core part of the game, like trading, station building, fleet commanding and basically the rest to be extremely tedious, very limited, obscure and generally not working at all than again due to bugs.

The UI, something the devs were saying all over the place with pride to be streamlined yet retaining all the complexity of the game, well... it is the most tedious conter-intuitive thing i've yet to experienced in a game. You to branch into countless ramifications of one category to actually access a single fonction, opposed to old X3 where every fonctions of a category was presented in a single window.

You thought X3 was hard to fathom UI wise? well X rebirth is like comparing MS-DOS vs nowadays Win7, it's this much a nonsense...

You spend countless time and basically most of your playthrough actually finding the very station that has an arms dealer, in a zone that seems like 10 X3 sectors compressed down to a massive city space station were everything is scattered and that you have to scan from back to front, making sure you discovered every little docking area, then land on every one of those where you discover they have an arms dealer on board in the hope that, after having walk on foot through the entire station corridor in an environment wich uninspired graphics from 2005 are laughable at best (they really are), you'll find the right arms dealer that also happens to sell what you're precisly searching for!!! And if he doesn't... you'll cry while you get back to your ship to repeat the entire process!

It's... just out of this world! It'll be a mess so hard to salvage that they're going to have to hardcode a lot of things from the ground up. Something that is far more complicated than just patches... Frankly, there's so much work that involves core mechanics that I have doubts they can really do something.

And this means also we'll less be able to counts on modders because such things, they're hardcoded for a big part.

In all respect, it's X3: Light Edition, and certainly not a "different and new game", the excuse that those devs have been trying to pull over lately in a shameless attempt to evade critics.

In a way, I pity them also... because they of course knew all along what massive let down of a game they were releasing, and that they were knowingly insulting their fan base to an extent I've rarely seenstrictly for the money, probably in order to recoup the catastrophic failure of a development having gone crazy and off tracks. And now the lead designer and CEO of Egosoft is doing nothing but dancing around the fanbase worries and questions, in an attempt to evade the massive ****

Sad day for the X franchise, probably the end of it.
  42. Nov 18, 2013
    I've been doing these types of games since Wing Commander on up. This game has the worst graphics, controls, bugs, voice acting, navigation, and outright gameplay of any PC game of this genre--ever.

I really am lost for words. Everything is wrong with this game. No patch can fix it. They released off the back of Star Citizen hype to cash out on a moth balled project from 2005 IMHO.
  43. Nov 18, 2013
    A very shallow game compared to its predecessors. Even without the tons of bugs and glitches it's a terrible mess without a satisfying endgame. Many vital features are missing and the UI is a nightmare while too many aspects are oversimplified. A beautiful presentation (sadly unoptimized) doesn't help too much this terrible misstep.
  44. Nov 21, 2013
    This game is not ready for release in it's current state. Not worth USD $49.99 at all. I consider the game at the Alpha stage. The tutorial and story missions are completely broken; you'll get stuck and be unable to progress unless you download a "good" save game to get past the bugs. The game performs very poorly on a system that can run Skyrim at Ultra settings.

The game's stations

The game's stations are all the same copy and pasted interiors. No variations, even the NPCs are copy and pasted. They look weird too; women with a body of a 20yr old but with an 80 year old face. The Universe is not huge at all.

This is one purchase I truly regret and hope to get a refund from Steam (crossing my fingers).
  45. Nov 16, 2013
    I have been in the franchise since The Threat, and while it is true the old games could be a little daunting for new players, this time around they have gone too far simplifying it. How are you supposed to "manage an empire" with an Xbox controller? The thing is, you can't, even with a keyboard, because it's all marketing lines. The game has very little content and very littleI have been in the franchise since The Threat, and while it is true the old games could be a little daunting for new players, this time around they have gone too far simplifying it. How are you supposed to "manage an empire" with an Xbox controller? The thing is, you can't, even with a keyboard, because it's all marketing lines. The game has very little content and very little possibilities. There is so much to say about the flaws in this game I'd rather direct you to the Egosoft forums. Try to ignore the hate and you will find explained many of the design flaws X Rebirth suffers.

I don't care for graphics. But let me say my computer shouldn't be able to run it (Phenom II X4, HD 6670, 4GB) but it does (everything at minimum, slightly OC graphics card).
  46. Nov 15, 2013
    I tried pretty hard to like this one. I couldn't. Let's just forget about the game-breaking bugs and horrible interface for a second; I'm sure you've already heard about them. Here are some other things wrong with the game on top of the basic broken-ness.

TL;DR: Everything is broken! Nothing makes sense. The dialogue: No one who actually speaks English seems to have been involved in

TL;DR: Everything is broken! Nothing makes sense.

The dialogue: No one who actually speaks English seems to have been involved in this game. I understand that the Egosoft team didn't make this in the US, but this isn't Zero Wing. It's supposed to be AAA(ish). I've seen translations of Japanese porn that made more sense than some of the quest briefings.

Also, "go boil yourself" is not the correct response to "where can I buy stuff?"

The animations: This seems to be a big sore-spot for a lot of people, and they really are bad! The animations basically look like what would happen if you put me in charge of the Egosoft animators. "Yeah, looks great the way her arms roll into her chest cavity! I'm just happy to be here!" I wouldn't care so much if the guys at Egosoft hadn't stressed that this was an "immersive" game above all else. Do we have a bad interface for these "immersive" animations? Is that why the dialogue seems like it was written by aliens? This game was clearly aiming for something, but it's like someone important at Egosoft got a bad head injury somewhere along the line and no one else noticed.

The boost system and the AI: Don't get me wrong, I like the boost system...right up until I have to wait for my npc squad to catch up with me. Yeah, the AI is better than in previous installments of the X series. My ships are not always exploding at dock like they did in X3:TC, but its not enough better that they actually behave normally without supervision. And by supervision, I mean CONSTANT supervision, not the interesting "keep it on track" supervision you might want from a game. So, when I boost over to a mission, I am suddenly very alone. Fortunately the enemies seem to be slightly concussed and sort of stop fighting intermittently.

Everything else: This is just for all the other random upsetting stuff I ran into. Stuff doesn't render right. The interface tags random freighters in the traffic lanes as enemy targets for summary execution and then the AI station praises me for defending them from raiders. No auto-targeting happens when you are under attack, but when I drop out of the hyperlanes it targets random things for me. Weird glass effects. "Go boil yourself." Quests with no markers like the "collect hydrogen quest". A weird inability to give orders to trading ships not in your squad. Confusing tutorial.

There is so much more, but that's all you need to read from me. Fly safe...
  47. Nov 15, 2013
    Game has a huge technical issues. Main one being low frame rates. You can spend an hour adjusting settings but most people will not go above 15 FPS when flying close to stations even with pretty decent PCs. It is like the developers did not take time to install to game to a test computer and checked how it would be running.
  48. Nov 16, 2013
    I have to play it more to understand how this game is actually meant to be played. First impressions after a couple of hours:
    1. Very low performance (15-20 FPS on AMD 6950, LOD and view distance settings make no difference at all).
    2. ITERFACE. It is AWFUL. All of it. Just look at the map...
    3. Combat is incredibly hard, dunno why.
    4. This is not an X game. Only a single ship available???
  49. Nov 15, 2013
    Made for consoles. Massively dumbed down from the previous titles, everything which made them good has been removed and replaced by a buggy action-adventure game. Someone obviously played Mass Effect and thought, "Me too!"

The interface is terrible, and support for the keyboard, mouse, or joystick is barely there. If you're not playing with a X-Box gamepad, you're out of luck with this title.
  50. Nov 15, 2013
    I played for 10 minutes and was so disgusted I stopped playing and here is my opinion:
    1. Terrible performance. I have a top of the line system and I get 25 fps with NOTHING GOING ON.
    2. Controls are atrocious. I have a Saitek x52 and had it hooked up and ready to go but apparently it doesn't work with this game and the game didn't even recognize the axis of my joystick so it was impossible to configure.
    3. low res textures and still 25 fps!

Just awful.
  51. Nov 15, 2013
    I am so utterly disgusted and disappointed in this game. I have been an ardent X player for years supporting Egosoft and I expected so much more than this pile.

There are just too many things wrong with this game, from unintuitive UI, bad lip syncing, inanimate NPCS to just bad gameplay decisions (seriously? No camera views? 1 ship? Tutorial bugs?) You've got to be kidding me. I

I spent all day trying to find something I actually liked in this game to justify my purchase, and after 12 hours, it still eludes me. Needless to say, after 1000's of hours in the X universe, I can't even enjoy 12 hours in this one.

Its not an issue of expectations being to high, but this is NOT an X game. It may be labeled as a rebirth, something new but its more like a stillbirth.

I have never before felt so ripped off purchasing a game since the Battleship 3000AD fiasco many years ago.
  52. Nov 15, 2013
    If you rate this game anywhere near a 10 you have absolutely no morals or taste in games at all.

I have been a fan of this franchise since the very first game and I must say i am monumentally disappointed....... The interface is horrible, easily their worst and that's saying a lot. The franchise was usually known for groundbreaking graphics, this game seems to have taken a step

The interface is horrible, easily their worst and that's saying a lot. The franchise was usually known for groundbreaking graphics, this game seems to have taken a step backwards of all things from the last game! I bought this game without reading reviews unquestioned because the X games were all good. This is easily one of the worst games i've played in the past few years.

Anyone who rates this anything near a 10 must not have any clue at all what makes a good game. I cannot understand how anyone can rate this at least a 5/10 this game is THAT bad. Hope they don't expect modders to fix their game again because this is an insult to their fanbase and Star Citizen looks like it's going to be great.

Whats most ridiculous is this is like some kind of a console port and doesn't even support DirectX 11. This game is DirectX 9....... Just shows how little care was put into this title. Despite the Windows XP era graphics the game somehow only gets 25fps on my dual 6970 setup. They always seem to have dreams of a console port since X2 and end up releasing the game on Windows screwing the fans over with a terrible interface. Now they have wrecked a once promising franchise with their hubris.

I have been playing games since 1989, I have NOT ONCE asked for a refund. As soon as their crashed forum server is back up I will be demanding a refund from them.

Whats funny is that I didn't get started on the bugs, broken missions, and poor universe design. Don't even need to go that far. Was going to rate this a 4/10 but immoral fanboys are rating it a 10 so here is another 0 for you guys.
  53. Nov 15, 2013
    3 words: worst game ever

this is a good example, when a company/publisher needs money and forces the producer to release their game... everything is unfinished... just poor
  54. Nov 17, 2013
    in my honest opinion from playing this game and backed by finds within the game code I believe this is a failed console project of which the remnants were hastily patched together and sold to the unsuspecting PC crowd to cut the losses. in my eyes, a scam like this isn't even worth a proper review.
  55. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is an early Alpha ,maybe.

The trade system is buggy and useless, the campaign simply does not work and it is just a matter of time until you get stuck because of one of the various bugs. Egosoft have not tested this game. Do not buy.
  56. Nov 15, 2013
    The off ship parts of the game are horrendously bad, and you don't seem to be able to just avoid that entirely... but even if you could the menu and command system are also a nightmare... add in bugs and performance issues and this games a dead duck.
    Flying around in space works great, but everything else is terrible.
  57. Nov 15, 2013
    Just to add to all above negative reviews if you are X noob like me and was hoping that is will allow you to get into great universe that X-series was please look somewhere else. This is not the game you were looking for either.
  58. Nov 16, 2013
    I played the game for 30 minutes and after that i could not look at any flat 2d JPG pics anymore. The graphics are truly terrible, like playing a game that is a bad console port. There is no decent controller configuration, assigning button on mouse and or joystick is not done. No radar map, the interface menu structure is absolute horrible. The FOV is way to small and it is not possibleI played the game for 30 minutes and after that i could not look at any flat 2d JPG pics anymore. The graphics are truly terrible, like playing a game that is a bad console port. There is no decent controller configuration, assigning button on mouse and or joystick is not done. No radar map, the interface menu structure is absolute horrible. The FOV is way to small and it is not possible to walk around the of your own ship. textures are terrible (cartoon).
    Im back to X3 reunion and TC to start all over again. Over a half a year i will have another look at Rebirth.

The good: the factories are absolute stunning! Big, nice details.
  59. Nov 15, 2013
    Early alpha not more. No autosave and crashes. Horrible menu. No radar. Low FPS while Crysis 3 runs on max Settings with 50. Missing soundfiles. Stupid map system. And more...
  60. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wanted to like this game really badly. I would quit in a fit of anger due to something not working properly and wasting an hour of my time. After thinking I would not play this game again, I would come back hoping it would get better. After a full 10+ hours of gameplay, it didn't get better.

I finished a mission to hijack a trade ship and got not only the trade ship, I was also given a construction ship. Awesome! This game is finally taking a turn.

Nope. I got stuck on the next mission to use the trading ship to bring 300 food to a station. Neither of them would move. I tried to get the trade ship to repair itself with an engineer because the jump drives and engines were down (have to take down the engines in order to board it). Instead of repairing itself, it just sat there. The construction ship, which was undamaged, also. Just. Sat. There.

The two new ships that I was excited to acquire soon got destroyed the construction ship by a passing destroyer, and the trade ship by a station's large platform cannons. All because they just sat there like morons and wouldn't move. I spent 4 or more hours re-loading and trying different things to get these ships up and running before they inevitably got destroyed again.

The mission would have to be indefinitely put on hold until the game gets fixed. I've heard this and similar reports on the Steam forums because egosoft's forums are down (probably because so many people are complaining). Having played previous X games, I was so excited to get into another in-depth space sim.

I'm sure there's depth to this game. With the shameful UI, unresponsive ships, and broken missions, good luck scratching the surface. STAY AWAY until egosoft decides that maybe 7 years of development wasn't enough. They need to do a massive overhaul to keep this from bombing further. Incredibly disappointed and angry that my money and time were stolen.
  61. Sep 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. X Rebirth 2.50 9 months after launch

This game is still no a working game, with every patch and update there comes with it an ever growing list of bugs and fixes . It is clear to me that every time Egosoft add something they also mess something up ........... 1 step forward, 2 steps back springs to mind .
    Its not all bad, there have been performance gains for people, there also has been a few decent things added, the only problem is anything they added is a basic feature you would come to expect in the vanilla version, nothing much to show for 9 months work .

IMO and pretty much all the Steam community DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, THERE IS A REASON LESS THAN 400 PEOPLE PLAY IT
  62. Nov 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After a playtime of ~3-4 hours i decided to write a Refund Request to the re-seller i had bought the game from because of some MAJOR issues with this game.

1. Incredibly poor performance. My System is neither the newest nor the best but its decent enough to run BF4 on medium-high settings smoothly. In X rebirth my frame rate rarely climbed above the 30 FPS mark no matter what i did in the Settings. And its not that pretty to say the least.

2. BUGS. Let me name a few of them:
    - I call it RANDOM CRASH happened bug: Every 30-60 minutes the game decided that i obviously need a break and crashed to Desktop. Since my drivers are all latest Version and i have a 64 bit Windows with 16 GB Ram there was no apparent Reason.
    - Blue gate Limbo: This one seems only to happen to a few people and i was luckily one of them. Sometimes when you fly inside a blue jumpgate minding your own business your ship suddenly developes a dire need to decent into limbo throwing you out of the gateway. All you can do then is watch the screen (not the co*kpit of course) go black with white flickers.
    - MINOR SPOILER IN THIS ONE Tradeship worked enough: Again something that not happens to everybody but i've seen enough posts about it. Roughly 45mins in the game you get to a mission where your goal is to buy and sell 100 energy cells. This works only sometimes because sometimes (in my case ALL the time) your tradeship has worked enough for the day and sits in a random sector doing nothing. The order remains queued but hell screw it it worked its 20min that should be enough for 1 day. There are ways where you don't have to start all over, but it includes editing the freaking save game XML file....

3. Design decisions:
    - The Co*kpit. To be honest i thought that one would be cool as hell. but you cant customize anything. I mean come on i have 4 ****ing screens Why dont you let me show important stuff there like a map or trade infos or stock prizes or a ****ing news site if i want to. NO that would be "sandbox" like and is therefore discouraged.
    - Which leads me to the next Point "sandbox": you will be able to only fly ONE ship the entire game. Well ok it can still be sandboxy somehow but i *sigh* never mind.
    - Dialogues and NPCs in general. You have your copilot on one hand, whom you want to kill so she'd shut up after about 15min. And you have a few other NPCs who live in 3 Types of space stations doing nothing at all and somehow all look alike. The Dialogues are about as sophisticated as an 2nd grader Text book teaching children how to make friends or deal with bullies... I've seen this done better in DOOM 3 and that was horrendous already. "Show me your wares please" "Show me your wares please" "Show me your wares please"........."whats in the box?" "whats in the box?" "whats in the box?" "WHATS IN THE BOX?"
    - Managing your fleet: So first of all managing them is a pain in the back and not the kind of pain you start to like and want more of it. its the kind of pain you want to stop. you have to work your way through Console designed menus to give even simple orders. Oh you mis-ordered something now that's a bummer here have some XML editing to get rid of it....
    4. What they promised it would be:
    - GTA in space. I'm not going in Detail here..... it's not NOT EVEN CLOSE
    - Do what you want Help the police for example defending a Station against pirates.... oh you accidentally shot the station twice in combat WELL F**K YOU THEN YOU PIRATE SCUM. Oh and if you want to change the name of your ship well F**K YOU AGAIN.

I could go on for a while but the bottom line is:
    DON'T BUY THIS GAME. just DON'T. go buy needles an stick them in your legs, that would be more fun.
    Maybe Egosoft will change something in the future but until that happened, spare yourself time and money...
  63. Nov 15, 2013
    I have played the entire X series and I have experienced issues from time to time in relation to performance and game play however, this is the first time I have been really disappointed with EGOSOFT. I was really looking forward to a rebirth of the series and enjoying the wonders in which EGOSOFT had in store. This game feels like....... I'm at a loss for words, I don't know if they canI have played the entire X series and I have experienced issues from time to time in relation to performance and game play however, this is the first time I have been really disappointed with EGOSOFT. I was really looking forward to a rebirth of the series and enjoying the wonders in which EGOSOFT had in store. This game feels like....... I'm at a loss for words, I don't know if they can fix this game at this point, Such a shame, good bye EGOSOFT, it has been a good journey but now we must part ways. Expand
  64. Nov 15, 2013
    XR is a slap in the face to fans of the X series of games, which were always about building and managing an empire. Managing a single additional ship in XR is a chore, and I can't imagine using this clunky, console-adapted interface to run a fleet even 1/10 the size of what I owned in X3AP.

So much just doesn't make sense--why do we have a copilot who does little except tell Betty to shut up? Why are there unlocked crates full of goods in every station that nobody cares if I steal, like this was some 16-bit RPG? Why do I have to walk in stations at all for that matter? Have cell phones been outlawed in the XXth century?

If you're a fan of the previous X games, don't buy this game. Otherwise, don't buy it.
  65. Nov 16, 2013
    I love space sim games, I was really waiting for this game but its a disappointment. Performance issues for me considering I have gtx770 and i74770k, game runs badly, dog fights are hard bc the whole vision just somehow blurs when maneuvering the ship, hard to keep track of whats going on. Didnt like the whole fast travel thingy, just jump gate over jump gate, they over done it, comparedI love space sim games, I was really waiting for this game but its a disappointment. Performance issues for me considering I have gtx770 and i74770k, game runs badly, dog fights are hard bc the whole vision just somehow blurs when maneuvering the ship, hard to keep track of whats going on. Didnt like the whole fast travel thingy, just jump gate over jump gate, they over done it, compared to X3, that encouraged exploration, I loved the long distance flying, it added to the game.
    Game feels like a mess, clunky tutorial easy to miss lots of important tips and parts, horrible NPC's look like bad voice acting, waste of time walking the ships, pointless really, it takes time I dont wanna lose doing useless stuff, Traveling the station "stealing" loot and crawling vents didnt make sense to me, stupid AI, the UI is behh, the side screen where u check information and such gives me a headache, each time u want to check something, the players checks it on the side screen, should have left it on the main front screen in my opinion. So ofc there are bugs and its reasonable but all those things together just ruin the experience I wanted to get, Ill be wating for updates, as for now Im not interested in the game, played for 2 hours and Im disappointed. I did tried to enjoy it, but so far Im not impressed.
  66. Nov 16, 2013
    I played for about 3 hours, got through two combat scenarios as well as fiddled with the maps, the trade interface, and pretty much every feature I could get my hands on in the first section of the game.

Graphics are quite bad. The backdrops and some of the artistic aspects are done nicely, however poor lighting effects and textures that came out of someone's rear end really dampen the experience. The graphics while docked in station or large ship are simply unacceptable.

In terms of your actual ship control it is quite enjoyable. The ship reacts well to joystick inputs and shooting is similar fun to previous titles.

Targets... oh boy. You can no longer cycle through targets, select only enemy targets, or shoot at other ships while keeping target elsewhere. In it's current state you feel quite lost in space and navigating or fighting a swarm of enemies does not feel as immersive as a result. You would have to have played previous X games to realize just how important target management is. We'll see in time how it plays out, as of now I do suspect it will be a major problem.

The interface is perhaps what could become the ultimate gamebreaker here. They have basically reduced functionality by a large margin all while making the interface more clunky and bonky than before. Where as before we had grid-like interfaces with many options available, what we are left with now is a very dumbed-down, overly flashy, unintuitive mess. The maps are borderline unusable, providing a fraction of the function the previous maps did. Ship commands, fleet commands, trading, bartering and such used to be a simple matter of a few clicks or a hotkey, but now involve pointless waiting and navigating through tedious menu options.
    The real kicker: They've stripped away the vast majority of the hotkeys from previous titles and removed the ability to assign more than 1 key to a function.

Ability to progress time has been removed it seems. I did enjoy simply progressing time quicker for game environment purposes. Stargates have been changed with a super highway. It's a nice way to travel between zones, you can slipstream and even shoot ships on the highway.

I have not checked out much about the trading mechanics so can't speak too much to that. However having to walk around pathetically textured, identical stations and interact with poorly voiced, HL2-esque NPC models does not seem like something enjoyable in the long run no matter how fascinating the trade mechanics may be. Leaving my ship honestly makes me want to pluck my eyes out; interacting with the NPCs makes me want to pull out a gun and end it all.

Inability to use more than the one ship you start with is a big let down, I prefer the slower boats that handle more poorly and for a game that is primarily, for many players, about enjoying the engine in combat, a true sandbox game in 2013 would offer the ability to use different ship types as X2/X3 did.

Overall it feels like many of the core features particularly in how they present themselves via the interface have been dumbed-down with functionality reduced or removed entirely.
    I do believe there is a solid underlying game here. Whether or not the ridiculously awful interface, targeting system, and other setbacks can/will be fixed will likely decide how playable the game is in the long run. I will be giving it another chance tomorrow and we'll see how it goes!
  67. Nov 16, 2013
    This is just sad. something went terribly wrong. I don't see how they could possibly fix this.

I do realize, that it's predecessors are setting a high bar but when it comes to the x-series "core values" this one here is completely off the track.
  68. Nov 15, 2013
    Hello, i just tried X Rebirth and as a long time x series fan, i will say that this is a horrible and unforgivable poor game that deserves a downright abortion.

I never seen such poor graphics combined with such a horrible GUI, and mix this with only one ship to fly, allot of dumb down consol features, poor combat, and a "walking in station" that has the worst texures in history of modern gaming.

This is the worst game in the series, and due to my high expectations only dragon age 2 has come close to making me this sad

Avoid this game like the plague if your a X fan, Great Story lover, Fan of Graphics,Fan of Games, basicly anyone with a working braincortex.

i played almost 50 euro for this on steam. and due to gamebreaking bugs.. i cant play it even if i wanted to... My 5ghz Watercooled 8 Core CPU and my dual GTX titan cards will keep it on a stable 40 fps ??????

Dont ruin your memories of X series... let this one go
  69. Nov 15, 2013
    This is not a space sim, it is an arcadey simple toy. Fun for about an hour, no real hook. If you are looking for a space sim, look somewhere else. This game is designed for a console controller, not a joystick.

The dogfighting is clunky and awkward, optimization is in the toilet lending to further clunkiness. Do not buy this game. Marketing a game to the hardcore space sim fans, but

Marketing a game to the hardcore space sim fans, but watering down everything that makes the genre great to appeal to the console crowd is not how to keep fans or win new ones.
  70. Nov 15, 2013
    I thought the game would be more polished on launch for the amount of media hype associated with the game.

1) Poor FPS and resource optimization compared to other more recent titles (albeit there appears to be more objects in view at any given time than most games) 2) UI is simple, but simply tedious. 3) Voice acting and dialogue is an embarrassment. Dialogue often seems more

2) UI is simple, but simply tedious.
    3) Voice acting and dialogue is an embarrassment. Dialogue often seems more like filler between the rare occasions when what the NPC's have to say actually matters. Ironically, my co-pilot telling the computer to shut-up is more grating than the ships computer speaking in the first place, a failed attempt at self-deprecating humor on the part of Egosoft, who seem to be acknowledging the short comings of past title's dialogue.

4) Game systems like trading may be simpler in theory, but turns out to be more cumbersome in practice. This is probably exasperated by the "NPC" menu system which isn't any less confusing than previous title's menu systems, andisn't made any easier by the built in short-cuts and nested menu's.

5) No targeting keyboard controls? Really? (I was really surprised by this one) Target foe, target friend, squad-mates, etc? Seems basic for a space sim.
    6) Game crashes. This, believe it or not is less of an issue for me, since it is purely a technical issue to overcome, rather than an issue of misaligned vision or foresight.

I have more concerns, but those are my primary issues.

Why did I give it a 4 instead of lower score? Because I believe in the heart of the game, which at its core, captures the imagination of those who want a living, breathing world, where your imagination is the limitation of your game experience. Perhaps as some of these issues get addressed, I would give X Rebirth a higher score.

I really like this series, I am hoping future patches and improvements improve the game play. I think Egosoft fell victim to the whining of the casual player who's needs and interests are very different than those willing to dig into the nitty-gritty details of a simulation. Unfortunately there are more of the former than the latter...
  71. Nov 16, 2013
    I hate this game, very very bad performance, bad ui and a lot of bugs. This is really a Epic-Fail. Oh I hate the company now Don't buy this Game, it's only a bad joke!
  72. Nov 17, 2013
    I've been playing the X franchise since early 2005 (essentially X3 Reunion on through to present). I'm trying to figure out just where to begin this review because I have so many issues with what this game represents.

First, the marquee feature of 1st Person navigation through stations and your ship falls well short of what it should have been given the 7+ year development cycle. The stations are copy and paste, and essentially nothing more than a series of circular corridors. A feature that should have been left on the cutting room floor as it doesn't add to the immersion, it detracts from it by having jerky movement, poor framerate, and terrible NPC interactions. Oh, and Morrowind called, they want their NPC models back. Yes they are that bad, and yes they do detract from gameplay immersion because every time I look at them I am repulsed.

Second, I tried to be OK with the idea of only ever piloting a single ship, and it might have been acceptable, but the way the is laid out, the lack of a 3rd person perspective, and the intrusion of the UI into the field of view makes this prospect simply unacceptable. Half the time I'm flying around stations I'm bumping into other ships and objects because I can't determine where the corners of my ship are (it's a really big ship compared to your view).

Third, the interface with the game has been completely "revamped" from the X3 days. I held the X3 user interface as nearly the worst UI in gaming second only to EVE ONLINE. Yet somehow Egosoft managed to spend 7 years screwing it up even further. There is a small, slow, convoluted contextual radial menu for every interaction in the game. You end up 3-7 layers deep in radial menu decisions by the time you reach the action you want only to hear from an NPC "What do you think I am, a portable map vendor?" Thanks.

Also, essentially every shortcut key for every interaction in the game that actually did carry over from X3 has been removed. There's no "target nearest enemy", no "target target's target", no "view enemy camera". For those keeping score at home, X-Wing on MS-DOS had that functionality in the early 90s.

The map system for navigating your way around the galaxy has also been replaced. It went from a handy tile-based map in X3 to a strange "heat map" of information that isn't really legible.

I could go on about how docking with stations requires you to fly right up to the doc port and double click on them, or how firing missiles is now the "R" key instead of space or a mouse button, or how there's no autopilot, but I think you've got the drift by now.

Because the quality standard is so incredibly low from Egosoft on this product, I cannot bring myself to give it anything higher than a "1" for a score. I see there are some people out there that like the game, and I can only surmise they are fooling themselves, or they played a different game. Or they thing 10 is the worst possible score.

I'm an active fan and player of the prior X games (over 480 hours played on X3 and it's add-ons). But this game I'll be requesting a refund on. It's not done and the plan I see from Egosoft on what comes next should have been part of the initial release (read the first post on their forums on the website to get a good idea of what's wrong with the game in their own words).

Unfortunately most of the items I have cited are design decisions, and they probably won't reverse themselves, so I don't see a place for me in this game at this time, which really saddens me.

I hope you learn a lot from this process Egosoft, and I really mean that, no smugness here. I really wanted to sink another 500 hours into this game, but at this time, I don't think I'll spend another 5 minutes in it.

Egosoft Forum user: Classic Style
  73. Nov 16, 2013
    Beside all the minor bugs, like NPC's behaving strangly (Kneeing down when you talk to them), the unefficient and complicated user interface (Trade Interface...), major mission bugs (Becoming stuck in trading mission, requiring to start a new game) and some crashes that may occour when trying to save the game -
    whats really buffling is the unbelievable bad performance that makes the game
    whats really buffling is the unbelievable bad performance that makes the game almost unplayable.

If you have decent fairly recent hardware, you can forgett it. To even run without stutter on LOW settings, this game requires the absolut newest current hardware.

I have a quad core CPU with a cpu clock of 2.8Ghz and a Radeon HD 7000 series graphics card. I have a framerate of about 15 fps on the lowst possible graphics settings. My CPU utilization while running the game is around 50%. The GPU utilization is even below that.

There are also numerous reports of people with suprising low performance. Even people with TITAN-Graphic cards report bad framerates.

I don't know what the game developers did, but it is apparant that this game has a huge issue with hardware utlization.
  74. Nov 16, 2013
    I am so disappointed in this game that I actually decided to write a review. That says a lot all on it's own. I've been playing games my entire life and have been a professional game developer for almost a decade. In all that time I have never felt compelled to go to the trouble of actually writing a negative review. I pre-ordered this game the moment it was available. It sounded likeI am so disappointed in this game that I actually decided to write a review. That says a lot all on it's own. I've been playing games my entire life and have been a professional game developer for almost a decade. In all that time I have never felt compelled to go to the trouble of actually writing a negative review. I pre-ordered this game the moment it was available. It sounded like everything I've ever wanted in a game. Alas, it was not to be. Playing this game hurts me. I've spent about 8 hours playing it so far because I desperately want it to be good somehow. I've turned the voice volume all the way down so I can't hear the awful dialog. I've given up caring about how awkward the controls and menus are. I pretend all the NPCs just don't exist. Despite all this, the game is still hard to play, and I'm not referring to the difficulty level. There are so many small things wrong with this game that they overwhelm almost constantly. So many simple things that are, best case, bad design choices, but generally feel like the developers working on them did not have enough time to finish. It is inevitable in any game production that some corners will be cut, but this game feels almost spherical. I am at a loss. I'm holding out hope that they will turn this ship around, but I just don't know if they can. Expand
  75. Nov 17, 2013
    Having played all X games as they came out from X:BTF, I am very saddened by this release. I pre-ordered because I had faith in Egosoft. This game has so many fundamental *design* flaws that there really is no hope that I can see for it. Flying in space is pretty so perhaps they can take the engine and make X4, but the core game play of X: Stillbirth is so bad that I doubt any amount ofHaving played all X games as they came out from X:BTF, I am very saddened by this release. I pre-ordered because I had faith in Egosoft. This game has so many fundamental *design* flaws that there really is no hope that I can see for it. Flying in space is pretty so perhaps they can take the engine and make X4, but the core game play of X: Stillbirth is so bad that I doubt any amount of modding will ever make it right.

It is obvious they designed it for consoles, and I'd bet all the money in my 401k we'll see PS4 and XBONE ports directly. Sad, because the X series was always a pc based complex trading game. I loved them for that, spent thousands of hours of my life playing the series.

They kept the game under tight wraps, didn't even send out review copies until release day. Now we know why. Egosoft will never get another dime from me. Hopefully Star Citizen or Elite will fill the void for a fun space sim, because this game never will.
  76. Nov 15, 2013
    Okay, let's ignore the game breaking bugs for a moment. This is the first day of release for a PC game, bugs are to be expected. Most people can't play for more than 2 hours without getting irrevocably trapped in the campaign, but ignore that for a moment. This game has been in development for 7 years.

Let's just go through the features this game has to offer: 1. Five different

Let's just go through the features this game has to offer:

1. Five different upgradable weapon types that go from Mk. I, to Mk. II, to Mk. III etc. That's it. In the whole game. You have 5 different weapons.

2. No pilotable ships: You are trapped on the Albion Skunk for all of eternity.

3. Terribly poor AI for companion ships in your squad, no clear way of acquiring new ships.

4. Frankly, no fun. I've played it for about eight hours now. What do I have to look forward to in this game? Turning my Plasma Cannon Mk. II into a Plasma Cannon Mk. III? Weeeee. Oh wait I can do fetch quests, delivery quests, kill quests and trade quests to my heart's content. Oh yes and I can do mining! Woo! So instead of turning my Plasma Cannon Mk. II into a Plasma Cannon Mk. III... I get to turn my Mining Laser Mk. II into a Mining Laser Mk. III.

So I can't purchase a new ship, I can only buy incremental upgrades of my existing weapons... I'm sorry but for a game with over 7 years of development where is the depth? What the heck happened here?

When you fly around and actually look at your options as, say, a miner... You have mining drone Mk. 1, mining laser mk. 1. And as you mine more you get Mining Drone mk. 2. And mining laser mk. 2. I'm sorry, but that is even worse than EVE mining (no offense to any EVE miners out there).

The graphics are also pretty dang bad. But they're nothing compared to the voice acting. I pity anyone that tries to play this for over 10 or 20 hours. The one liner your copilot spews every time you dock loses its magic after you hear it the first 100 times.

Between the gameplay, the graphics, the sound, and the music (or lack thereof)... -shaking head-

I guess this is what happens when devs decide they need to "streamline and revamp" their game.

I feel incredibly bad for them. I don't know what I'd do if I spent 7 years of my life to produce... this. They have my pity.
  77. Nov 15, 2013
    After playing this game for several hours on PC I was disappointed in the character models, the UI is terrible and the graphics are overall dated. The tutorial in campaign mode is sparse and I found myself looking up the keybindings in the control settings just to find out how to do things. The menu system is vague and it takes time to hunt down where certain actions are buried within.After playing this game for several hours on PC I was disappointed in the character models, the UI is terrible and the graphics are overall dated. The tutorial in campaign mode is sparse and I found myself looking up the keybindings in the control settings just to find out how to do things. The menu system is vague and it takes time to hunt down where certain actions are buried within. Docking at space stations and your ship is like entering a small instance and is uninspiring seeing the same graphics with the same objects in different places. This is my first X space sim to play and honestly i'm pissed for blowing $50 and never again will buy a game without checking reviews first. Yes I've only tried the game for several hours but I have no incentive to see if it gets better. Expand
  78. Nov 15, 2013
    Infuriating. Gave it four hours today, and managed to hit a bug that prevents completing the tutorial. A quick scan of forums at egosoft and Steam found that I am far from alone.

In short, a AAA (priced) game should not have blocking bugs in the tutorial. I'm an X series fan. I've been a gamer for 25 years. But, I have also been a software developer for 15 years: This is

But, I have also been a software developer for 15 years: This is inexcusable.

1. At a minimum, it shows that development was crunched beyond a reasonable QA effort.
    2. It shows, at best, deeply misguided priorities. Who cares about whiz-bang shaded info-icons on stations, WHEN THE TUTORIAL IS IMPOSSIBLE TO COMPLETE?

I won't get into the other issues well explained here: The abysmal performance, the bizarre and unintuitive interface, the that wastes 50 of the screen real estate.

If I was on a team responsible for a failure of this magnitude, I would be fired. This is not AAA quality.

I won't buy another egosoft game.
  79. Nov 15, 2013
    Absolutely terrible game. Should never have been released in the state that it's in. Hundreds of game ending bugs, terrible frame rates even on top of the line gaming rigs, and to top it off they removed most of the good features from previous X games.

They ultimately dumbed the game waaay down to appeal to non-space sim fans and in the process alienated their own fan base. Do not

Do not purchase this game. At least wait ~half a year for the true space sim fans to create some mods that actually make it worthwhile.
  80. Nov 15, 2013
    What a disappointment. I have waited and waited for the release of the game. Game is unplayable, too many bugs, graphics look like a 2006 game. No multiplayer. Do not spend your money on this game at least not yet.
  81. Nov 17, 2013
    You know I wrote a scathing short review of this crappy programme and really resent that I cannot get my money back. I don't know about other countries but in the US and Canada if a product is not what you expect or up to par then you return it for refund. I guess we have been ripped off and can only hope the producers and developers use my, and others, hard earned money to fund theirYou know I wrote a scathing short review of this crappy programme and really resent that I cannot get my money back. I don't know about other countries but in the US and Canada if a product is not what you expect or up to par then you return it for refund. I guess we have been ripped off and can only hope the producers and developers use my, and others, hard earned money to fund their weekly management meetings as they drink their beer, eat their pizzas and high five each other thinking they produced the ultimate space age crap. Expand
  82. Nov 17, 2013
    I haven't even played the game for more than 30 minutes but I give a ZERO score because it is unplayable. I have an i7 with a 2 year old gfx card and my pc can handle even the latest games in medium detail with 50+ fps. X-rebirth plays around 10-15 fps which is unplayable. I am not sure if it is the game engine that is defective or if they are gonna fix it with an update but the fact isI haven't even played the game for more than 30 minutes but I give a ZERO score because it is unplayable. I have an i7 with a 2 year old gfx card and my pc can handle even the latest games in medium detail with 50+ fps. X-rebirth plays around 10-15 fps which is unplayable. I am not sure if it is the game engine that is defective or if they are gonna fix it with an update but the fact is that they should not release this game at this state. Will ask for a refund. Expand
  83. Nov 15, 2013
    You are going to waste your money the 10/10 people are ABSOLUTLY lying to you. They WANT you to make the SAME mistake WE all made SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!! If you bought this game DESPITE our advise you DERSERVE it HAPPY GAMING!
  84. Nov 15, 2013
    Be honest. The game was made for a console but they clearly couldn't sell it so, thus stuffed out to PC customers with marketing how 'fun' it is to no longer own strategy, fleet and resource management in favour of sitting in one ship with awkward UX and outdated, last gen gamepad based gameplay.

No support for your PC peripherals? Check. No resource management? Check. Piss poor attempt to get all Mass Effect? Check.

Its bad.
  85. Nov 15, 2013
    Bitterly disappointed with this. Horrible story, juvenile characterisation and writing, truly awful npc models pointless filler animations when docking, no external ship view, and top it off a truly woeful user interface. Only positive I can think of is the beautiful space and station graphics and massive world but despite this why do I feel so shut out from an immersive sandboxBitterly disappointed with this. Horrible story, juvenile characterisation and writing, truly awful npc models pointless filler animations when docking, no external ship view, and top it off a truly woeful user interface. Only positive I can think of is the beautiful space and station graphics and massive world but despite this why do I feel so shut out from an immersive sandbox experience and find almost all design/story elements cringeworthy to the extreme? Expand
  86. Nov 15, 2013
    I wanted to like but I can't. The "streamlining" disease spreads.

I wanted to like but I can't. The "streamlining" disease spreads.

I can ignore the poor voiceovers and lip sync, the poor and ugly character meshes, the irrelevant lifeless walking in stations only there to check a box on the specs (no, you can't do walking in stations without proper assets egosoft), the horribad performance, the bad UI and its stuttering... but the rest of the game, the core of the game, that is just not there. There isn't even a radar! (and no, despite what the dev said the game isn't better without it) There may be lots of little ships flying around and stuff, yet the world seems lifeless, and missions are heavily scripted. I accepted a 'protect the station', and attackers arrived immediately. and couldn't even intercept them away from the station. What kind of living world is that? They limit you to one ship. Ok. No radar. Oook. But then you can't move your camera around even from inside the the one that hides half of your screen... and don't get me started on the fly around station icons minigame..

If this has been in development so many years why does it feel like a 2 indie guys few weeks rush in assets, game mechanics and code? Who on Earth did you make this game for? It was certainly not for space sim fans.
  87. Nov 17, 2013
    One word to summarize it all: LOST. Completely LOST in this game.
    Not only it is running horribly on a decent config, the manual is plain useless and I just can't do simple things like buying upgrades and such because I have no clue on where to go. I managed to get a few random missions done all right, now I need missiles, where and how the heck do I buy some ?
    I also tried a random
    One word to summarize it all: LOST. Completely LOST in this game.
    I also tried a random cargo mission, the game points me where to deliver the cargo but then what Do I need to buy it first or is it a delivery mission, no idea.

Then the tutorial tells you to go & get some defense officer, with no clues about where to find it, I'm tired of searching and docking at every possible place, and I am sure the game will be like that for about every aspect how where? what ?

This game is a plain NO and my money was wasted. The idea was great though.
  88. Nov 17, 2013
    GFX in space very good
    GFX in stations looks like a bad attempt at a Mass Effect station (why is every one so sad?). There is also only 3-4 different interiors which feels very lazy.
    Bugs many game breaking and immersion breaking bugs Campaign story plays like a plot to a terrible firm, nothing really makes sense its just like a series of random events strung together by some one
    GFX in space very good
    Bugs many game breaking and immersion breaking bugs
    Campaign story plays like a plot to a terrible firm, nothing really makes sense its just like a series of random events strung together by some one who has never seen two or more people interact.

Basically wait 2-3 months see what its like in in 2014, lots of potential but this is just a train wreck at the moment.
  89. Nov 17, 2013
    Graphics are amazing, although hardly any variety in ships, stations and general themes to each area in comparison to the previous X games.

Only 1 ship, no outside view, can't rebind controls, not as much variety in weapons in comparison to older X games... Performance is terrible, GTX680 4gb, 3770K 4.7ghz, 16gb RAM and I am getting 15-25fps, shocking... Half the features are

Half the features are incomplete and the main story is broken. None of the game mechanics are explained in any way and it's a lot more complicated to learn than the previous X games (and that's a huge slap in the face to Egosoft who were apparently trying to make it more accesible).

God knows how you trade in this game, trade ships are bugged as well.

UI is horrendous, no FOV options and graphics options are minimal and have no effect on performance.

Basically taken everything that was good about X and thrown it out the window. Then released a game which is in Alpha state and charged the same as AAA title... disgracefull.

90. Nov 16, 2013
    An utter disappointment of the genre. The games UI is so barren of features and hugely impractical it get's to a point where you wonder "what can I actually do?"

Commanding your ships is practically impossible, as you have no clean system of being able to order them around, without having to go through 3+ menus to do so. The trading system is VERY dumb. You have a ship, you set it on

The trading system is VERY dumb. You have a ship, you set it on a mission. Half the time the ship stalls and doesn't do anything, and there is currently no way to cancel the queue and restart it.

The game is also currently riddled with bugs, broken features, poor texture quality on NPCs, (e.g. eyeballs rotate in their head to look like something out of a horror movie) and many other issues, such as game crippling bugs which include those that prevent you from continuing the storyline.

I'm hugely dissapointed in Egosoft, I'm amazed how they can even sleep at night knowing that they have alienated their core audience by dumbing down the game to such a degree it's become unplayable. I sure hope there is a patch on the way, a MAJOR one, which fixes some of the key issues:

* THE MAP. OH MY GOD THE MAP.
    It's extremely unintuitive and terrible to use.

* NPC texture quality
    Huge differences and inconsistencies between NPCs. The co-pilot is badly textured, while others are very well textured.

* Overhaul of the trading system at least give us the option to modify cancel their queues!

* Performance
    Achieving 20 FPS in a game that isn't that huge is unacceptable. I understand that an engine in the wild will vary greatly, but in this instance, EVERYONE, even on rigs far more powerful than mine, are achieving rubbish FPS.

Please Egosoft, for crying out loud, SAVE THIS GAME!
  91. Nov 16, 2013
    If you've played X series before, and loved it, you will not like this one much. Everything has been simplified straight down to an FPS like game. Forget about controlling your fleet, managing your properties, and building your empire in the way you used to. Whole interface and complexity has been seriously dumbed down to fix in a console, so you can play it all with a game-pad and nothingIf you've played X series before, and loved it, you will not like this one much. Everything has been simplified straight down to an FPS like game. Forget about controlling your fleet, managing your properties, and building your empire in the way you used to. Whole interface and complexity has been seriously dumbed down to fix in a console, so you can play it all with a game-pad and nothing else. Graphics and effects are mediocre, basically sprites, and cheap low resolution textures with lots of dirt, splattered on top. Animations are absolutely atrocious, with people moving like robots, from A to B, and doing nothing. Faces look like those of 80 yrs olds, with voices in their 20-ies. Conversations and ambient sounds are also repeated every minute, so you'll hear the same "there were no highways 40 yrs ago" on every corner. Also, most characters are rude, and have strangely pathetic comments towards you. Station design is one big horrible circle with few stairs, which is duplicated absolutely everywhere. Basically majority of the game is 7 years of Copy & Paste. I can't believe how it's all the same absolutely everywhere. Performance wise it's not the best, but I think this will get fixed sooner or later. The gameplay though will not be fixed much, and I think it's the beginning of the end of brilliant X story. I pre-ordered the game after seeing all the brilliant videos, and sneak-peaks, but it turned out to be all so different when actually played. It's a big failure in my opinion. Going back to play X3AP now. Expand
  92. Nov 16, 2013
    Played for a few hours, and unfortunately that is all I can stand. There are horrible design choices that utterly ruin the game for me. Apparently they were going for 'immersion.' I think what they confused this with suffocating boredom and claustrophobia. There is no radar (seriously?!) and the map system is infinitely worse than in previous games. Combine this with a clutteredPlayed for a few hours, and unfortunately that is all I can stand. There are horrible design choices that utterly ruin the game for me. Apparently they were going for 'immersion.' I think what they confused this with suffocating boredom and claustrophobia. There is no radar (seriously?!) and the map system is infinitely worse than in previous games. Combine this with a cluttered screen due to the overblown view and zero ability to have an external or free look mode and you literally feel like you have no idea what is going on around you. This completely ruins the sense of scale that I always enjoyed in previous x games. Imagine being the vanguard of an entire fleet...well, just imagine it, cause you can't actually see it....just trust us, they're PROBABLY all still behind you. The menu systems are a step down from previous games, the graphics don't feel like an improvement. The world does feel more 'alive' at times but mainly because they seem to just cram everything together in tighter clusters of activity. The highway system may seem to have some merit, but it feels like this will lead to a lack of exploration as you will inevitably stick close to them. I won't even touch on the horrible out of ship aspects, as I wasn't expecting much and was planning on just giving them a pass as long as the core gameplay remained enjoyable. Sadly this is not the case, and I don't see this game ever becoming something I can actually enjoy.

Its truly sad. Although I am a long time fan of the series, I was more than ready to embrace change, especially in the name of greater immersion. But every aspect of the game feels like its a step back in intuitiveness, accessibility and actual functionality. Given this is a sci-fi setting, they should be looking to improve these aspects, not further cripple them. (Again, no radar? What are you smoking egosoft?!)

Side note, I had no performance issues to speak of, so none of my frustrations stem from bugs or glitches. Had that been the case, I would simply wait a few weeks or months until things improved. But with the core gameplay being what it is, the game has already been deleted.

The one positive to come from this game is that it rekindled my desire to play X3 again.
  93. Nov 15, 2013
    As a gamer from the 80's brought up on Elite I was very excited about X Rebirth and today shelled out £40 which I now wish I had given to a homeless person and watched him/her walk into an off licence and buy some spirits and then tell me to p*** off, I would have felt so much better.

This game is broken thankfully because if it actually worked properly I would see that it is probably a lot worse than it actually appears at the moment. When I saw the NPC's I actually did spit out some tea with a spontaneous laugh, they are so bad. The UI is so complicated when trading that you literally have no idea wtf u are doing, did I just buy something? Checking your cargo is another joke.

How is it possible for people to make a simple game like this so utterly complex, they should all play Elite and see how it's done.
  94. X0R
    Nov 15, 2013
    really regret buying this afterbirth, feels like I bought an MS-DOS game by mistake. the graphics are truly terrible Why are all female characters so fugly in this game? Why are the controls so clunky for PC? Great concept, but I guess I'll go back to Privateer or Wing Commander for the next two years until they patch and release an expansion to improve it to the 2013 era. Starreally regret buying this afterbirth, feels like I bought an MS-DOS game by mistake. the graphics are truly terrible Why are all female characters so fugly in this game? Why are the controls so clunky for PC? Great concept, but I guess I'll go back to Privateer or Wing Commander for the next two years until they patch and release an expansion to improve it to the 2013 era. Star Citizen is my only hope. Expand
  95. Nov 15, 2013
    As someone who played every Game since X:BtF, i was incredibly disappointed by this game.

I'm not someone who gives bad reviews on a whim i played around 8 hours and it doesn't feel like a X game at all. Here is why: 1) I won't say it's outright broken, but they clearly delivered a more than unfinished product. So far i've encountered a hefty amount of serious bugs, every half an

1) I won't say it's outright broken, but they clearly delivered a more than unfinished product. So far i've encountered a hefty amount of serious bugs, every half an hour or so my game crashed completely. I'm really asking myself did Egosoft even do any basic bugtesting at all? I know very well, that they also released buggy games in the past, but this is getting out of control. The trend of releasing untested games needs to stop. Someone has to say something.

2) The bad performance is also a serious issue. I have an I-7 (4.2ghz), GTX 690 4GB and 16GB Ram yet i'm getting laughable 20-30 FPS average. If i fly into busy areas i get even less FPS, same on stations. This is just hilarious and shows how poorly optimized the game is.

3) Many of the core features from the past games were cut away or steamlined beyond recognition. They left out the Warp gates, instead you'll get some weird space highways. There is no 3rd person camera anymore and no free look inside your Many textures are simply low res and look nothing like the beautiful ones from the trailers and gameplay videos. The Story is plain childish. etc. etc.

Also the Graphic special effects are very overused. I feel like being in that one simpsons episode, where they went to japan and got seizures all the time while watching a flashy gundam show on tv.

4) You only get to fly 1 (in words: ONE) ship in person. Gone are the days, when you were able to fly basically any existing ship out there. Now you have to stick with this small Albion Ship for eternity.

5) The UI and menu is simply horrible! I can't tell where the heck my ships are, let alone give orders to them. This whole "press enter and do everything from a separate screen" thing is really awful. It feels more like a console port than an improvement of any sort. Basically this is like 3 steps backwards compared to X3:TC.

It hurts me to say it, but this game is Bad with a capital B! At least give it another 6 months so the community can fix the mess Egosoft released, before you even CONCIDER paying money for this game.
  96. Nov 15, 2013
    I have played for 4 hours now and I like the atmosphere in space in x rebirth. I am also fine with the one ship like it was in X Beyond the frontier and some other design decisions they made. The framerate could be better but it's actually quite playable, at least on my system.

BUT: after about 3 hours of playing I am now stuck in the campaign. There is a mission where you have to buy and sell energy cells, but your freighter gets stuck due to a bug. This makes the game pretty much unplayable at the moment.

Other things i noticed:
    its really obvious that the game is meant to be played with gamepad (menus dont work well with keyboard)
    keyboard controls cant be changed at the moment
    there are many issues with the voice playback
  97. Nov 15, 2013
    I love the X games. But X Rebirth is a huge step backwards compared to the previous titles. It has great potential but is very poorly executed. I hope the developers fix those bug and improve the performance or this was the last X game I ever bought.
  98. Nov 15, 2013
    What do I say? The trailer made it look amazing. All the reviews had nothing negative or constructive to say. I have to wonder if these people were paid. It's buggy, unfinished and a lousy port of a console game. Frankly even if this gets launched on consoles it will flop there also. There are some good concepts, With some updates and work this game could be redeemed but right now It wasWhat do I say? The trailer made it look amazing. All the reviews had nothing negative or constructive to say. I have to wonder if these people were paid. It's buggy, unfinished and a lousy port of a console game. Frankly even if this gets launched on consoles it will flop there also. There are some good concepts, With some updates and work this game could be redeemed but right now It was no way fit for launch. 3rd game I have waited for a purchased recently in which the game was very very different from the trailer. Genuinely considering applying my consumer rights and trying to get a refund. Its a sad state of affairs considering I used adore this series.

It saddens me. This game shows that the loyal fans who supported it simply aren't considered. This is a game designed for a console rather than a PC. We who supported this series are now forgotten.

Things I would suggest that may redeem this.
    -HD Textures
    -Improved character models, voice acting. Some characters look like they are suffering with an ageing disease.
    -Expanded stations, Give us a more realistic feeling of a large galactic station. Same for docking with ships. Have more happening around the player give a sense of activity.
    -Re designed Menu's the current ones feel like that are akin to radial menu's on console games.
    -Optimisation, either through Nvidia Experience or Egosoft performing it themselves.
    -A 3rd person view in the Station sections. While these are unnecessary It could add an interesting avenue for game play. E.g Leading a boarding team to take over an enemy ship or raid a station.
  99. Nov 16, 2013
    I feel I have to leave a score of 0 for this game simply due to the number of clearly 10 scores being left. Whether or not this game is riddled with bugs which may or may not be dealt with soon by the devs, this game is fundamentally broken. It is really awful, anyone who has experience of the X series is in for a big shock with it. The UI has clearly be designed with solely controllersI feel I have to leave a score of 0 for this game simply due to the number of clearly 10 scores being left. Whether or not this game is riddled with bugs which may or may not be dealt with soon by the devs, this game is fundamentally broken. It is really awful, anyone who has experience of the X series is in for a big shock with it. The UI has clearly be designed with solely controllers in mind, it is horrible trying to play this thing with a mouse and keyboard, which for a PC title, is really bad. They have clearly tried to reach a larger market of console gamers with this and in the process have gimped the controls for the vast majority of their loyal fans. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a console announcement once they have eliminated most of the bugs plaguing the PC release.
    The price tag of £40 sets this game up as comparable to AAA titles, which it most definitely is not, in fact it is quite clear from this and the lack of review copies sent out prior to launch that the games release was a cash grab on the part of egosoft. Nobody is going to pay £40 for this game having seen the reactions of those who preordered like myself. The severity of the bugs this game has shipped with is frankly shocking, inability to even start the game, broken option features such mouse inverting, falling through interior maps every five seconds (that is only slightly hyperbolic, it took me literally 10 seconds into my first station walk to accidentally get caught on a vent hatch and be pushed through a wall). The minigames are a pain, though they are not really that much of an issue compared to my other complaints, they just seem cheap. The menus are ripped straight from mass effect (as is the art style for station interiors but that is something else) and is pretty much unusable for k/m players like the majority of X players seem to be. They have apparently made it very difficult for joystick users to though I cannot comment on this.
    The menus and maps are horrendous to look at and navigate thanks to a combination of design choice, th aforementioned console controls and the constant, long animations which kill the flow and speed of the game. While in previous X titles i have been able to set my ship on autopilot for a station or gate and use the instant menus to manage my ships/traders and stations/complexes, I am now required to stop my ship and wait for the menu monitor to appear before I can do anything. The autopilot has also been removed, and while the autopilot was a problem in previous games, their solutions seems to have been to remove all autopilot from Rebirth as the vast majority of ships you encounter are moving in strange arbitrary space roads which often lead them into sides of stations (I also feel that it is worth mentioning that these ships are about as real as those encountered in the highways, they feel as though they are randomly spawned to give the illusion that you are in a living universe.).
    That's all I can really think to say about this game, for me it is DOA, and it seems unlikely that the developers will be prepared to change such fundamental, yet broken game mechanics. For these many reasons it is simply unthinkable that this game could deserve a score as high as 8, let alone 10. It is certainly a shame that as a result I must give this game 0 as I cannot allow anyone to be fooled by the average userscore.
    If anyone has bothered to read this I would give this game an honest score of 3, maybe 4 but that seems to be pushing it a little. I have requested a refund on steam and hope I will receive at least credit on my account, and if, in the future, the developers manage to make this game remotely playable I will certainly buy it again, though almost definitely not at the same £40 I (foolishly) paid before release.
  100. Nov 15, 2013
    Feels like a beta. The UI is garbage. The sheer number of game breaking bugs is unacceptable. The "Recommended" specs will let you play the game at low resolution on minimum settings, which I find to be unacceptable false advertising. I'm just overall extremely disappointed in this game. It feels like it was released a year too early and wasn't tested at all.

1. Feb 18, 2014
    Rebirth lacks inspiration, purpose, good ideas. It's riddled with bugs and, even when it seems to work, it manages to be dull. There isn't any true reason to play it.
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 10, 2014
    Instead of giving the series a new life the developers buried it and the patches are a classic case of ‘too little, too late’. There’s a lot of things you can forgive this game but not the fact that it’s boring. [02/2014, p.58]
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    X misses the spot. The occasional bit of spectacle can't save this boring, broken and charmless space simulation. [March 2014, p.60]