- Summary: In the distant future, the X universe faces a period of profound and irrevocable change. While the universe stumbles towards an uncertain future, countless adventures await as new enemies rise in search of power. Enter a young adventurer and his unlikely female ally traveling in an old, battered ship with a glorious past - two people alone against the galaxy, playing a key part in the events to come. The fate of the universe rests in the hands of the player...… Collapse
Positive: 0 out of 24
Mixed: 0 out of 24
Negative: 24 out of 24
Nov 17, 2013Just play 3-5 hours before posting a comment Some people here don't realy understand that X-rebirth is a HUUUGE game with a HUUUGE tutorial and need time to be domesticated. I put 10 to increase the general rate. Objectively for now 8... But 9 or 10 once bug ll be fixed!… Expand
Nov 29, 2013Sure, this game was released too soon. But the devs are working hard to fix it, and they just released 1.18 patch, in beta version. To install it, check the description in egosoft forums. The complete version of this patch will, most likely, be available very soon.
Well, I don't know what they did, but everything works fine with this new version. Everything runs smoothly at max res (no more fps drops in Shady Vault, for instance), the trading system isn't "bugged" anymore, as it seems (freighters no longer stop for no particular reason), there are now plenty of drones in stock to equip your capitals in all shipyards (you just couldn't find any in freeplay mode in 1.17: trading was just impossible, you had to build your drone facility first), no more crashes... I can't believe it, but they actually did it: 1.18 is almost bug free in its beta state.
Concerning the gameplay, well I don't understand all those angry rants... Maybe these raging guys just had no clue about what X games are all about and expected Freelancer or Elite... Maybe they expected an easy start, to understand all the game mechanics within the first hour of gameplay... I don't know. Why all this rage?
- Trading in X Rebirth is actually the same thing as in previous Xgames. The only difference is you need a crew instead of softwares to control your ships remotely. You need to give orders to your crew, but you can do it from anywhere, so I don't understand why people hate so much the new system. Maybe it's that because you need to dock in stations in order to find crew members, first; I must admit the inside of the stations are pretty dull, and npcs are indeed hideous, but that's it. But when you're in space... it's just breathtaking. And you're in space 98% of the time. Docking in station just adds a little more immersion. It isn't well done, but it's not important at all. Not to mention they already planned to add better textures and facial animations.
- Combat is way better that previous X games; I don't get why people say it's "awkward". To navigate, mouse control is indeed horrible, but hey! It's a space sim, dammit! Just grab your stick :D Boarding big capital ships is intense. And explosions are gorgeous Yes, it's a show. But it's damn fun.
- I've heard/read a LOT of about joystick compatibility: the game IS compatible with sticks! You just can't bind all keys for most sophisticated sticks, and may experience problems to navigate in menus but who cares, seriously? just switch to keyboard/mouse for your menus.
- The new building system (station building) is really improved. But again, those who spit on a such a behemoth of a game after only 2-3 hours of gameplay don't have a clue about it. You guys are really ridiculous.
- The UI is far from being perfect, but they already started to improve it in 1.18 version. Menus are sometimes unintuitive, but Egosoft already said the whole thing will be more readable, more intuitive very soon. And actually, I already got used to it; just make some efforts, put more time into it, and you will as well. Btw, gravidar is coming soon, as well.
For now, I've almost finished my first station in freemode, my Fedhelms are mining automatically, and they're not bugging when I ask them to sell what they just gathered, my scaldis is responding and operationnal, I haven't any fps problems in Shady Vault, freighters seem to actually trade without any issue, cargo drones aren't buggy either... Great work and thanks for this 1.18 patch guys. Forget about all these dishonest and lazy reviews coming from guys who haven't put more that 2 hours in the game, a freaking X game, which needs at least 10 hours just to understand its mechanics. Forget about all that crap and keep up the good work. I know you gonna improve the game with new content, maybe new mission types, special missions given by smugglers in bars, bounty hunter market and famous pirates to find in hidden fortified station, deep space exploration, anomalies... idk. For now, 1.18 is stable, just needs a few details to fix and it will be great.
For those who are hesitating, I just wanted to add this: it's an X game. The more you play it, the more complex and interesting it gets.… Expand
Nov 15, 2013I thought the game would be more polished on launch for the amount of media hype associated with the game.
1) Poor FPS and resource optimization compared to other more recent titles (albeit there appears to be more objects in view at any given time than most games)
2) UI is simple, but simply tedious.
3) Voice acting and dialogue is an embarrassment. Dialogue often seems more like filler between the rare occasions when what the NPC's have to say actually matters. Ironically, my co-pilot telling the computer to shut-up is more grating than the ships computer speaking in the first place, a failed attempt at self-deprecating humor on the part of Egosoft, who seem to be acknowledging the short comings of past title's dialogue.
4) Game systems like trading may be simpler in theory, but turns out to be more cumbersome in practice. This is probably exasperated by the "NPC" menu system which isn't any less confusing than previous title's menu systems, andisn't made any easier by the built in short-cuts and nested menu's.
5) No targeting keyboard controls? Really? (I was really surprised by this one) Target foe, target friend, squad-mates, etc? Seems basic for a space sim.
6) Game crashes. This, believe it or not is less of an issue for me, since it is purely a technical issue to overcome, rather than an issue of misaligned vision or foresight.
I have more concerns, but those are my primary issues.
Why did I give it a 4 instead of lower score? Because I believe in the heart of the game, which at its core, captures the imagination of those who want a living, breathing world, where your imagination is the limitation of your game experience. Perhaps as some of these issues get addressed, I would give X Rebirth a higher score.
I really like this series, I am hoping future patches and improvements improve the game play. I think Egosoft fell victim to the whining of the casual player who's needs and interests are very different than those willing to dig into the nitty-gritty details of a simulation. Unfortunately there are more of the former than the latter...… Expand
Jan 15, 2014I have played this game for several hours. the sad thing is that, the longer i played this game the more bad things i found out about it. it is like they left out each good thing they had in the x3 series and replaced it with bad things.
The cockpit is blocking half of your field of view. there are thousands of bugs, menus dissapear, trading does not work properly, there are less ships, less sectors, less action, less available commands and of course less fun. The only improvement i found are the graphics.
please dont waste your time playing this game.… Expand
Nov 23, 2013This game is fun when it works, but the constant need to find a work around after each crash or game stopping bug is too much for me. I give up on this game offering any enjoyment in the near future.
This game does not deserve a score based on what it could be, fact is without looking for work around you cannot finish it.… Expand
Sep 10, 2014well, i can't say anything positive about that awful piece of packed up bits...
i always trusted egosoft and played their X series 2-3 years ingame time but that one isn't a X-game at all, no real freedom, all station-parts are exactly the same in every station
the npc's and interactions are dumb, boring and emotionless
if i wouldn't know that it is from egosoft i would've bet that it's the result of an unknown russian gameforge that hasn't made any other game before -.-"
it's a shame that there is no way to get back the 50 bucks i spend on this...
in my opinion egsosoft should pay back twice the amount players payed for that scam… Expand