6.9

1. MichalW.
    Jan 10, 2007
    The game is a little bit more than a privater, and a much less than a final fronier. But is a less in a way that it made it palyable, the frontier was too boring, and privater had less features.
  2. DaveN.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Brilliant game, slow to start with but once you start building up your fleet of ships and factories you'll never look back! Only negative point is the storyline and horrible looking cutscenes, but you can ignore the storyline and play just as a space sim! Superb.
  3. OkrimS.
    Oct 27, 2007
    Very good, "Elite like" clone.
  4. EmoryD.
    Sep 15, 2007
    This is simply one of the best games I have ever played, it does have a learning curve to it but, the game teaches you how to use all the controls. Also, the game has the ability to mod it, you can apply mods that will add alternate story lines or missions along with new ships (such as ships from Star Wars or Star Trek). The game also, along with the story line is extremely open ended This is simply one of the best games I have ever played, it does have a learning curve to it but, the game teaches you how to use all the controls. Also, the game has the ability to mod it, you can apply mods that will add alternate story lines or missions along with new ships (such as ships from Star Wars or Star Trek). The game also, along with the story line is extremely open ended game, you can choose to follow all the missions TeraCorp gives to you or you can ignore them, although the game bugs you a bit to get going and continue the missions. But, the game has all of its little quirks (just as all games do) the game is just spectacular. Expand
  5. StuartP.
    Dec 1, 2003
    This is one impressively deep space sim. So many cool features like being able to build up your own squadrons of fighters and freighters and take out your enemies using trade or combat. Beautiful looking game too graphics wise.
  6. GeorgeC.
    Dec 1, 2003
    A brilliant game, with unprecedented freedom of gameplay and action. Ever played Privateer or Freelancer and wanted to build a space fleet (battleships included) of your own to lay enemy sectors to waste? You can do it in X2! Or maybe you want a peaceful life of a trade, selling different wares in the most remote corners of an immense Universe to make profit! Again, available in X2! Or, A brilliant game, with unprecedented freedom of gameplay and action. Ever played Privateer or Freelancer and wanted to build a space fleet (battleships included) of your own to lay enemy sectors to waste? You can do it in X2! Or maybe you want a peaceful life of a trade, selling different wares in the most remote corners of an immense Universe to make profit! Again, available in X2! Or, maybe, just maybe, you're not content with the life of a lowly trader and want to own your own factories and manufacturing plans, spreading your economic power all over the Universe? You can do it in X2 as well! Or maybe you're fed up with those pesky business competitors who try to undercut you by selling their wares at a lower price than you! No problem - amass a huge space fleet and wipe out every single competitor, and revel in your wickedness and monopoly profits! Or is it "yo-ho-ho, a pirate's life for me"? No problem - lurk in the most dangerous, unpoliced sectors and ambush the unwary traders or dare venture into the most protected core systems for greater profits! Last, but not the least, feel free to follow (or not follow) the gripping, immerise storyline that will keep you glued to the monitor till the very end of the game - that is, forever, since the game is truly endless! The Universe is your for the taking, and the path you choose is entirely up to you! Expand
  7. WolfgangH.
    Dec 1, 2003
    This Game is a feast for the eyes. Sure it has some bugs, but Egosoft is known as a developer suporting their games very well, up to some degree other much greater companys wouldn't reach in thousand years.
  8. JureR.
    Feb 14, 2004
    I like the game a lot. Graphics are superb and I haven't had so much fun since playing Privateer and Freespace.
  9. SeanT.
    Dec 1, 2003
    A great addition to the space genre. You can build your own stations, factories, and fleets of starships. A detailed trading economy runs in the background. Excellent graphics and sound, a superb music track. The universe itself is highly detailed with interesting areas to explore and fight in. Well worth purchasing ! I would call this a modern Elite X 10 !
  10. WolfDaddy
    Jul 19, 2004
    This is perhaps as close to perfection as a space sim can get. If I have a problem with it, it's that the cutscene characters just look stupid. The game would have been much improved if a character creator (sans Earth and Beyond) could have been added with 'generic' interaction with the cutscene characters. Still, the game is beautiful though graphically demanding of a video card!
  11. BryanH.
    Feb 22, 2007
    If your into space games that last along time and have great graphics then this is the game for you. Awesome.
  12. MaxUK
    Dec 1, 2003
    For now i give it 6, due to the fact that i had to stop playing to fix the annoying bugs, not game killer bugs, mainly personal system glitch`s that needed tweaking out. as soon as i figure out how to stop the joystick random twitching i`ll give it 9.8, it`ll never get 10 from me as those cutscenes are truly foul and nasty. but when you see the graffiks these little niggles becomeFor now i give it 6, due to the fact that i had to stop playing to fix the annoying bugs, not game killer bugs, mainly personal system glitch`s that needed tweaking out. as soon as i figure out how to stop the joystick random twitching i`ll give it 9.8, it`ll never get 10 from me as those cutscenes are truly foul and nasty. but when you see the graffiks these little niggles become meaningless to all but the most fanatical frames chasers. the old "X-perience" is still there in bucketloads. Expand
  13. PeterB.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Here we have a game with an interesting story line, pretty graphics and the most abysmal control scheme since Dr. Derek Smart pinched out the last Battleship game. There is absolutely nothing in this game worth the time it takes to learn how to play it. Avoid at all costs.
  14. SteveS.
    Jul 22, 2006
    How can any space-sim game be better than freespace. The story-line and everything that went into that game in my mindmakes it the greatest space-sim ever. How can any game top freespace?
  15. JamesD
    May 9, 2008
    I bought this game to get some use out of my damn joystick. Lets get a few things straight with the people who made this. 1. Having a custom system of time measurement does not add texture, or make it cute, its boundlessly annoying, especially when all measurements of time end in "azura" and theres like eight of them. 2. Unlike shooters, there are more than three things you can do in this I bought this game to get some use out of my damn joystick. Lets get a few things straight with the people who made this. 1. Having a custom system of time measurement does not add texture, or make it cute, its boundlessly annoying, especially when all measurements of time end in "azura" and theres like eight of them. 2. Unlike shooters, there are more than three things you can do in this game, so the uninformative tutorials (which aren't even incorporated into the main campaign by the way) don't help in the slightest. 3. The targeting system is the least intuitive i have encountered, EVER 4. When mission 1 is "fly for a really long time and then fly back for a really long time with a possibility of getting killed along the way back", have an AUTOSAVE before said possibility of getting killed, so you don't have to fly for a REALLY LONG TIME once more. 5. I don't have anything else to whine about, but i'm certain this is because i couldn't play any more of it without my colon leaping out my mouth and gouging my eyes out, rather than any lack of complaints. In summary, i feel dirty having played this game. If you want to support independent game studios, a quick google will give you a million better games than this one. Expand
  16. JorL
    Jan 18, 2010
    You have to spend quite some time to get past over the learning curve and a lot more to get to the point where the game really becomes interesting. Just then, your lasts hopes for the game will be crushed by the frequent crashes and the sense of wasted time.
  17. Partyman
    Jan 7, 2004
    A bad rerun of final frontier (elite2) And way less efford in the game play .. Even with the singularity driver at X10. You will get anoying breaks in the game where you just sit and wait. The GFX are nice, but no this game is not even close to the final frontier (a game released a decade ago) The only part better are the GFX If you want to have fun Download a Amiga emu and search for A bad rerun of final frontier (elite2) And way less efford in the game play .. Even with the singularity driver at X10. You will get anoying breaks in the game where you just sit and wait. The GFX are nice, but no this game is not even close to the final frontier (a game released a decade ago) The only part better are the GFX If you want to have fun Download a Amiga emu and search for Final Frontier. If you want to have nice GFX go surf the web for it . This is one game that is rated good if its free but not worth a penny! Expand
  18. EricB
    Mar 26, 2008
    Hopeless waste of time. Controls are jerky, awkward and non-definable (so you'd better like "up is down" otherwise you're stuffed if you want inverted controls). Didn't give it long enough to assess the gameplay as I didn't get that far. Sat for 10 minutes in the tutorial which, I assumed, would teach you something about the game controls/interface/gameplay before Hopeless waste of time. Controls are jerky, awkward and non-definable (so you'd better like "up is down" otherwise you're stuffed if you want inverted controls). Didn't give it long enough to assess the gameplay as I didn't get that far. Sat for 10 minutes in the tutorial which, I assumed, would teach you something about the game controls/interface/gameplay before realising that it wasn't actually a tutorial that taught you anything - you apparently have to teach yourself that too, as no helpful messages appear at any point. Even after you manage to get your ship moving and get bored enough to blast away at a space station, there's nothing to tell you whether what you did was right or not, just some 'fed style ships blowing you away to tell you it wasn't. Not so much a tutorial as a waste of time to download it. Bought this as a download bundle with X3, which I'm cancelling. Even though it's a few more pennies lost, I'd rather save the bandwidth. Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hard to learn yet obsessive and satisfying game. The only dumb thing about it is that you actually have to think and read about it - which brings joy to those that are annoyed by short and easy games... Expand

1. X2 does offer some highly satisfying gameplay--if you're willing to stick with it. It's not a game that has any reasonable prospect of revitalizing the space sim genre, since it's from a small developer and isn't particularly accessible, but it's a game that highlights why the genre was once much more popular.
  2. If you are looking for a cross between a 3D spreadsheet and "Battlestar Galactica," with a side of patience and a twist of plot, then X2 lands right in your space station.
  3. Lots of different stars, ships, and aliens may be nice, but there is no excuse for unwieldy controls, a horribly high learning curve and pacing that takes a good dozen hours before things get interesting.