8.2

1. Oct 10, 2012
    The original Xcom made me love turn based strategy games, and since then no game has been able to fill that void... Front Mission series and Incubation were close... This new Xcom is the real thing. Shut up and take my money!
  2. Jul 22, 2014
    I would put this game in the pantheon of strategy games, without question. SCORE: 97/100.

I loved this game from start to finish and everything about the tactical gameplay is amazing and engaging. There are a great variety of classes (with upgrade paths, ranks, and different equipment) and enemies, diverse maps, good base technology and items, and just a complete package that is fun and replayable.

This is a game that you will play again, and you will be glad you did.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    I made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determinedI made a terrible mistake...I didn't realize the game doesn't automatically save (well I did, but i'm lazy and didn't bother to manually save) and got into a situation where my entire team died. All my warriors, battled hardened from several missions: gone. And I was very sad, because I had to start from scratch, either with a bunch of scrubs or a new game. And yet...I'm more determined than ever, and will do better this time, invest in the right things (that are crucial) and ignore the lesser investments until I have the money (I was a noob and didn't realize how important satellites are). I never played the original X-COM, but all I can say is this reminds me so much of Mass Effect 1 and 2, without the silly story (that eventually collapsed in ME3). They clearly borrowed from this series.

This is an incredible game: ignore the haters and buy this if you have ever enjoyed any game involving tactics. It's clear that they got the essence of what many old-school PC gamers say is the greatest game to ever be released for the computer...looking at this game I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Easily the Game of the Year, and after less than a day playing it, among Firaxis' best (and they have made a lot of very good games).
  4. Oct 24, 2012
    One of the very best games I have played in years. The only reason I did not give it a 10 is due to a small lack of more varied starting set ups that would give each replay a bit more of a unique feel. To be sure this is an incredibly small gripe. Buy this game.
  5. Oct 16, 2012
    There's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly capturesThere's some minor issues, the most annoying of which being that sometimes moving people around inside a UFO is really a hassle due to the roof blocking your view, and other times people won't want to move to high or low ground. Some areas could also be beefed up in complexity (interception), but on the whole they really nailed this one. The game is addictively fun and brilliantly captures the "just one more turn" feeling. Fans of the 1993 version will be able to find things to complain about, as this is not a straight remake. It's a 2012 take on the game, and while not everything is the same the spirit of the classic version is alive and well here. If you're not familiar with the classic X-COM, then any strategy fan should go buy this right now. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2012
    Best turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you knowBest turn-based strategy game since the original X-COM. Yeah it has its own flavour, and it doesn't shy away from sticking to its own design decisions. What it delivers is just awesome. The single player on classic ironman has insane replayability: enemy AI, challenging combat, challenging strategic layer panic management etc. all provide a compelling experience. The best part is you know that it was your fault that you lost, and you have a good idea what your mistake was to fix it next time. Establishing characters that you actually care for and naming them is addictive. The MP is just an added bonus to annoy your friends with and see if an all floater team can really mess up an archangel sniper, or if a 2 x ghost armour squad is better than an ethereal with sectoid scouts. Expand
  7. Oct 24, 2012
    Overly simplified, some serious camera issues, with a simple-yet-clunky UI, and the overall turn mechanic feels more disjointed than the Aftermath--Afterlight implementation. But the fact that I just didn't want to stop playing last night can't be ignored either.
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as aXCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as a team; carefully approaching each map in a slow and methodical fashion. The XCOM "squad" has a cohesive tactical feeling that the original was missing. Sure there was plenty of strategy in the original, but the new XCOM has a way of really making your team feel like more of a "TEAM" in a way the original didn't. The strategic layer of the game has been modified in such a way that it really serves to reduce the unnecessary elements of the original while still highlighting the importance of thinking about "the big picture" while playing. The game is so much more than just making sure you have the best squad for a given mission. It's about the long game. It's about planning for expansion down the road. It's about being prepared for the inevitable setbacks. It's about being able to think strategically as well as tactically. Nope, this isn't the original XCOM with a new coat of paint. It's a new XCOM. A modern XCOM. An XCOM that already kept me up WAY too late, and I'm sure will claim many more. This is an excellently crafted, undeniably fun strategy game. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    I like it. I'd say it is about a big expansion away from being perfect. It needs slightly more depth. Then again, as far as I've gotten is one suit of titan armor, a squad kitted with stolen plasma rifles.. and then **** RNG kills the last of my super troopers and several continents have cut funding.

I am about to turn it off of Iron man mode, **** hell do I blow. Classic difficulty is so goddamn hard. I mother **** hate thin men still. They always, always crit on me or cause a panic spiral with their dumb fart clouds.
  10. Oct 13, 2013
    I resisted buying this game for some time, but picked it up during a good Steam sale. Glad I did! Although I never played the original XCOM all the talk of the dumbing down of the game worried me. I cant talk to it as a comparison to the original, but overall in its current form it is fun.

Most missions feel short, but in a good way, you can boot up the game and do a quick mission while working on something else, or do some base management. I would have like a more detailed record for my squad mates (Kills, date of promotions, awards being given, times wounded) but at least the memorial is a nice touch.

Even well after this game came out it is worth picking up in my opinion.
  11. Oct 13, 2012
    This is a wonderful update of the old classic. While the old game had so many management options as to bog down the pace of the game, the new XCOM takes much of the tedium away. For example, in the old game, as you hired soldiers you would have to look at their randomly-generated stats individually to determine who should be carrying which weapons, and then work on increasing their bestThis is a wonderful update of the old classic. While the old game had so many management options as to bog down the pace of the game, the new XCOM takes much of the tedium away. For example, in the old game, as you hired soldiers you would have to look at their randomly-generated stats individually to determine who should be carrying which weapons, and then work on increasing their best stats during missions; in the new XCOM, soldiers are automatically assigned weapons and classes, and as they gain experience on the battlefield, they level up, granting them a new class ability each time. Not everything is perfect, however. The camera can only turn in 90 degree increments; not a problem outside, but indoor missions can be hell. Also, you'll find yourself fighting with the scenery at some of the worst times, trying to get the camera to hide it. Despite such minor flaws, this is a truly great game and a worthy successor to the franchise. Expand
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    This version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wipedThis version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wiped before you'd started your second turn and split up to avoid being one large target for me this always meant a reload of a saved game. It just annoyed me when it happened, now it doesn't. "Bug hunt" endings. Scouring maps for that one last alien who had decided to stand in a cupboard, 90 minutes trying to find it, ending up just being bored and making a careless mistake or just quitting the game - gone...Unrealistic micro customization - In the original you could force any soldier to become anything. That's not realistic at all. A 5 foot 3 sharpshooter moulded into being a musclebound heavy weapons carrier "just because you need one" It might offer you control - but at the expense of any level or realism. The movement simpified in use, but actually increased in tactical options. Moce a squad member a level? Easy! - No special button to take the view up or down required, how about over a wall or through a window. SImple, no 3 level menu system to go through, it will calculate it, and you will know whether you have the ability to continue with another action after or not. All the calculations are there if you play, but they are transparent to the user, leaving you just to work out what is best rather than micro analysing action points. Supression fire? Opportunity fire, different levels of cover? These allow you to work out some pretty snazzy tactics. Your troops level in a way that makes it fab. Actual abilities are learned that expand your tactical options, some are passive, some used on a turn based "cooldown" - all make a difference if used in the right place. Morale, Psi attacks. It's all there - it just doesn't require micro management. I thought I would miss micro management - but I don't - not one bit. For me - someone who loves to see a proper AAA turn based game (at LAST - after Sooooo many FPS..aren't FPS bored to tears with the same game being sold over and over and over and over) Xcom is a breath of fresh air. The moddability of the PC game means we can expect maps, missions and TC's in the next few months that will keep this game on my hard drive and being played almost indefinitely. 10/10 Best game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2 or Rebelstar. Well done Firaxis, after the relative mess of Civ 5 you are back with a bang. Best game of 2012 by a mile. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, anThis game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, an edict that games must become less complicated has been issued. Unfortunate if you believe, like me, that original X-Com succeeded, at least in part, due to it's complexity. Why should saving the world from an alien threat be easy? It shouldn't. This XCOM wants to do away with all logistics, deeming them "un-fun." Managing multiple bases and multiple away teams is a hassle, they seem to think. And trying to arrange how multiple assets will deal with multiple simultaneous threats is just a big pain, in their book, much easier (and fun-ner?) to just pick one from a list. Weird trigger based alien spawning, channelling the action in corridor sized maps, tiny squad sizes, no free fire, blah blah, you read all this before. So yes, it's not a very good remake of X-Com. But that's not all a bad thing. It's still a good game. Some games are better for their simplicity. This game does some things pretty well. It's tense and fun, soldier customization is nice (could be better - why can't I pick my class or home nation?), there are advanced difficulty options (Ironman mode!), cut scenes are fun, kill cam is nice. However, there are things it could do better without changing the nature of the game as it was envisioned. Graphics rendering is sometimes sluggish, there are tons of clipping problems, there are camera and movement bugs, voice acting can be a bit shaky, textures could be a bit nicer, an option to remove the additional click for ability confirmation would be super. So despite all of this which mostly sounds negative, I still think it's an 8. Good enough so that when I get home from work tonight, I'll be playing XCOM. Expand
  14. May 22, 2016
    Just finished. Although must admit It took a while for me. Maybe because I didn't follow what I was supposed to do. Heck I build a foundry and uncovered a whole bunch of upgrades and units I could make only towards the end of the game. By then my soldiers were beefed up so I managed. Gotta give it credit because it was kind of addictive. Great ending too.
  15. Oct 6, 2013
    Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome:Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome: Total War, Dues Ex and XCom are the juggernauts of the medium.

It was a brave choice to remake it, because they were never going to fully win over the faithful. But on the other hand, it would be sad to let it die. All in all, it's not perfect, but it does the heritage justice.

Assuming you've played the original, long story short: The battles are far more exciting, the campaign is dumbed down.

Battles: Still turn based. Time units are gone, replaced with 2 action points. Move and shoot, move and snap shot (now called overwatch), move and ability (or item) or move and move. Seems overly simplistic, but the balance of unit types and terrain keeps it from getting too tedious.

The Good: You won't spend 10 minutes looking for the one last alien whose camped out in a house for some reason. Faster battles, more shooting, feels like a battle instead of a hunt. Unit types are broken down by classes, which makes squad assembly a lot easier, but in a good way.

The bad: The enemies "patrol," which means they agro when you see them. There is very little AI on their part. They rarely retreat. They also get a bonus move where they move to cover whether they move into your zone or you move into theirs.

Campaign: Pretty familiar. You pick a location for your base and build up. You can only have one base and the aliens never attack it. Scientists and Engineers are awarded as mission bonuses and over time, more or less.

Good: It's pretty close to the original. Combat gear is expensive to build, but you never lose it.

Bad: Dumbed down. No additional bases, no base attacks, half the building options are completely unnecessary. Even though 2/4 of the unit types are specialized, your soldiers advance at the same rate, leaving you with a ton of snipers and heavies that you never use and never enough Assault and Support units. Once you build the Firestorm, you will never lose an aerial battle.

Overall: Do everything in your power to build satellites in the beginning game and after a few months you won't be for want of money.

Misc note: Any veteran player will want to play on Ironman mode, where any death on the battlefield is permanent. But the game isn't really set up for that, unless you play it perfectly. In the original, there were low level missions intermixed with the higher ones, so you could level up your B and C squad without thinking too much about it. In this one, if you are smart with your research priorities, you've got 10-20 missions in the whole game. You have to deliberately bring lower units on important missions (they are all important). A squad wipe halfway through the game can be the end. Once the heavy enemies start showing up, unless you have a good squad, you're done for. Ironman mode seems to be a last minute addition.

Ending Thoughts: This is a great game. I love it. It has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. But if you were a fan, you will probably like it. I wish it was a bit more complex, but you can't have everything. I wish there were more to it, but it's the best sequel to the original, and I include all the official sequels in there.
  16. Dec 22, 2012
    Dumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? MoreDumbed down from the original? Maybe. Deeper and more thoughtful than most games of the market? DEFINETELY... Any player who enjoys games where thinking is involved has to love this little gem. It's not a remake, more of a re-imagining. A wonderful turn based game where every choice matters. A great showcase of what good turn based gameplay can be. ARE YOU LISTENING RPG GAME MAKERS? More fun than I had with any game this year... Expand
  17. Oct 16, 2012
    I've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problemI've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problem with this as I'm not the quickest of cats and want enjoyment from my games :) Once I've finished Dishonored (which is a 10 out of 10 for me), I'll continue my progress. My initial impression is this is a solid 8 out of 10. Expand
  18. Nov 6, 2012
    I've played all of the original Xcom games. And one of the things I hated was at the end how you have to run around and find the last hidden alien in a giant map, sorta like a really annoying "Where's Waldo". And the ending game when you get there it was to a point a given you were going to win, you just had to run through the aliens homeworld. Now cut to this updated version to theI've played all of the original Xcom games. And one of the things I hated was at the end how you have to run around and find the last hidden alien in a giant map, sorta like a really annoying "Where's Waldo". And the ending game when you get there it was to a point a given you were going to win, you just had to run through the aliens homeworld. Now cut to this updated version to the franchise, and you know what, it's really good. It has a sweet spot in squad size, and the game put in a lot more options than the original game. Its exciting get a new tech tree to learn. All of the cut scenes are pretty good. The game is hard a lot harder than the original Xcom's. you have to think your moves through and take it slow. I played the game 24 hours non-stop, just saying its really that good if you like squad based games. lastly, the guy who did the audio for the original Xcoms did the audo for this version. Trust me you'll love Xcom, its like slipping on a comfy pair of old shoes. Expand
  19. Oct 16, 2012
    I've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in theI've been gaming since the early 80's but only made the transition to PC gaming in 2000. I've played the original XCOMs and similar games in the genre, but they generally failed to keep my interest, with some of them consuming masses of my free time with intricate micro managing squads, resources, soldiers etc etc. So, I was a little sceptic when Firaxis decided to make a new game in the series. They stated they would reduce the time required to manage your squads, bases and resources, and they were true to their word. I bought the game just a couple of days ago and I have already ploughed around 20 hours into it. I can understand why some die hard fans of the original game are a bit miffed, but I for one am happier that they made the changes they did. The game is still VERY challenging and it has great immersion. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2014
    All in all, the game is very strong; the combat works well, the macro-level stuff keeps you sucked in, and there is a fairly decent variety in enemies. The game will keep you entertained for 20-30 hours.

That being said, it could be a little bit better; the aliens aren't quite smart and aggressive enough, and eventually, once you get things under control, it can get a little bit dry towards the end.

Still, on the whole, it is an enjoyable experience and well worth the time and money to beat it once.
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    I liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the gameI liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the game over-emphasises a slow defensive approach this makes battles take far longer as you tediously move each squad member forward between alien encounters. It's not a massive problem for most of the game, but then you get to the final the story missions, one of which is basically a long, long corridor. It's just tedious moving your guys forwards. In the end, I just got sick of moving guys around arbitrarily and packed it in. Still had a fun 20 hrs with the game, which is pretty huge given I'm not a strategy fan. Expand
  22. Oct 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost, I have to say that all around, this is a pretty solid game. Visually, it is stunning, as the makers have owned up to their claims by seamlessly combining the game play with a cinematic twinge. The actual game play on missions themselves is pretty straightforward, with quite a bit of room for custom play styles; whether you're more of a massive armor, heavy guns, run and gun style player or a sleek, stealthy tactician, either way works. The ability to completely customize your soldiers is a nice function as well. From their skills, right down to their names and how they look, it helps add some more investment for the player. Top it off with being able to completely customize each soldier's gear, and it's like Christmas every time you get something new! Being able to build your base however way you'd like is another nice touch. Maybe more research, more engineering, or however you wish to lead your group. Couple that with having to balance keeping the world powers happy and not letting them drop off the radar, literally and figuratively, helps break up the game play throughout the experience. With all that being said, the game still left me with a more-ish taste. It had a lot of different options, but never quite enough of any single one. Like the old proverb which really seems to encompass the game, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Early on it is exciting, but quickly you find yourself seeing the extent of what you can do. There may be umpteen different items to research, but only one style of each. It just felt like there could have been more customization, more research, more expansion, much more mission variety, and so forth. Still, regardless, as I said before, it is still a pretty solid game. To be completely honest, I would have been way more pleased to pay $30, maybe $40, for the game as I believe that is what it's worth. Still though, I don't regret it at all and if you're a fan of strategy games (maybe not a diehard XCOM fan), this is still well worth it, especially if you get it on sale or at a lower price! Expand
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'mXCOM: Enemy Unknown is solid. Period. For those of you who have been playing games for years and like various aspects of many types of games, this one will satisfy you. Turn based strategy. Check. Shooter vibe. Check. Base building. Check. Difficult decisions. Yes. Desisions matter. Umhum. Feels like you're "in the game." Absolutely. Fun and re-playable. You see where I'm going with this.
    Give XCOM a chance and it'll surprise you at the most unexpected moments in both great and devastating ways. These moments are always interesting though and happen in ways that never leave you feeling cheated.
    This team deserves to be supported. A little creative searching can yield a slightly cheaper result if pricing is a problem for you. I have over 40 games on Steam and XCOM is my shining star that I'm most proud of and that I'm most likely to recommend to others. It's the game I going to want to talk about months after completion and maybe fire back up again from time to time.

Firaxis,
    Congratulations and thank you for implementing your ideas for an XCOM reboot so well. I know that you know that you have a special product under your belt. Now the rest of us know it as well, and most of us agree that it's unique, fun, and relevant in today's gaming space/market.

Knocked it out of the park!
  24. Mar 10, 2013
    I think XCOM is a great game. Multitude of campaigns, but above all the turn-based combat is the most successful game. In the negative section base management is improved. But the game is amazing in the playable section. Totally recommended.
  25. Oct 15, 2012
    Love this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and otherLove this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and other micromanagement details like that, but those changes actually makes you feel more like a commander of a base rather than someone filling the shoes of logistics, command, and every other role of a military base all at once, and lets face it logistics (buying supplies manually) is boring as hell. The Prone, crouched standing for your men has been replaced with full cover, half cover and no cover (also flanked) which makes movement and play feel more realistic and makes it easier to use. Tactically (which is where the fun is in these games) all tactical options from the previous games are still in there except for the some (non-tactical) tricks people used with time management such as creeping forwards really slowly while spamming overwatch which is just cheating really, the new time management system actually results in more believable gameplay without closing off tactical options and making your choices for what to do with your 2 actions per turn more important. The new class system for your troops while taking away the choice from you of how sort of class they will be still gives you the choice of how to make up your squad and with the unique skills each class provides this makes for more strategic choice than in the previous games when making up your squad. On the point of unique skills they open up more options for how you will use a turn than previous titles which only adds to the tactical depth. The only other major change from previous games is the shrinking of the squad size, this doesn't change gameplay or your tactical options all it changes is the time it takes to do a mission. The only negatives I've found are a few rare bugs with the menu system and occasionally the AI will take time (up to 1 min for me max so far) to process what it is going to do making you think it is frozen although graphics are still being rendered in realtime. Overall its a great title and the people making a fuss over changes really don't understand that the changes actually haven't changed the game much at all and have actually enhanced the tactical and strategic aspects, but some people just don't like change or enjoy jumping onto causes weather real or imagined. Expand
  26. Oct 15, 2012
    Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do,Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do, only the main ops section does anything. They gave up aliens invading your base for a pretty backdrop. UFOs are rare, which is strange for a game about UFOs because shooting them down in large numbers was kind of the whole point of these games. There is only 1 Alien base in the entire game, aliens do not establish bases in areas you failed to defend, you just get this one base and this is part of the main plot anyway. EG part of the story and not at all random in anyway. Cover in battles is so messed up you can be hit through solid walls without the wall being damaged or have zero percent chance of hitting an alien that is stood right next to you. Despite this, the battles are still very good. Aliens do not move around, they spawn when triggered, either by the player walking through invisible triggers that makes them suddenly appear, or by dropping out of the sky like magic or by just popping in to existence in front of your very eyes. Not very convincing. Again, despite this, the battles are still very good. You can play game without any fighters are all, some of my fighters have never been used or only used once after over 20 hours of game play. Unlike the original game where you had a lot of UFOs to shoot down and needed those fighters, that is just not the case here. Most of the time your dealing with UFO landings, but you never see the UFO fly to the spot and land, it just happens. Terror attacks on cities, abductions and a host of other missions make up the core squad based game play, this is what makes the game worth an 8 score on its own. Worth buying just for this if you like Squad based combat. As for the title making it sound like a UFO Enemy Unknown game, that is just a way to sell a Squad based game to an audience that may not have brought it if it was called ET Invasion or something. It may look like an UFO game but its not, there is no RPG elements in this worth speaking off, no strategy worth talking about. Just Squad based tactics, 1 out of the 3 elements that made the original game a classic is all that is left.

My advice to those considering buying is this, if your looking for a Warhammer 40k style table top battle system for the PC then this game rates an 8 out of 10 and you will love it. But if your buying this game because you want a modern UFO Enemy Unknown (UFO Defence in the USA), dont bother, your wasting your money. I am going to score this game based on its squad gameplay and give it an 8, if I was to score it based on what it should have been as a UFO clone, it would only have gotten a 4. So if you want UFO Enemy Unknown DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, but if you like squad combat and thats all you care about, you will love this.
  27. Oct 17, 2012
    One of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of yourOne of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of your squad have a 91% hit chance (or thereabouts), gleefully you click fire on one squaddie after another only to miss all round. With 91% hit chance? This problem does not seem to happen with the aliens who can happily kill their way through your entire squad. My problem is not that this happens, but that you get a hit chance which seems to be bugged or quite meaningless as this happens time and again. On top of this boy is this buggy. I have to control alt delete out at least once a session because a squad guys control becomes locked and will not respond. Perhaps once ever 2/3 hours. Another irritation is that sometimes you want to do something and try and click an option to do it. Your guy will path a completely different way. So it becomes a move save sort of a deal and writes off the ironman option I was keen to try. Dying to bad choices is one thing. To buggy controls is another.

But, for all that, this is a true successor to a classic original and worth persevering with. I very much like the "ant farm" base building and view in particular. The game does feel a bit linear at times and is in danger of being dumbed down. With tactical options for the player reduced and alien abilities that are frankly ridiculous at times. For instance, certain alien types have the right combination of movement and ability to be able whipe out entire squads with no recourse for the player. Unfortunately, sometimes they do and you just reload. Annoying as you have no recourse but they rarely seem to realise what they can do relying on massive accuracy and throwing you a bone with the odd blunder which feels like game developers showing the player a bit of charity.

I would like some more DLC to expand the potential and unlock some longevity in terms of making it feel even less linear but if the balancing I mention and the bugs are sorted out this is a classic that holds true to the spirit of the original while building on the concept in the right way. I was also expecting more strategic options from the base making it feel a bit more like a global campaign was taking place but this doesn't seem to be there and I am quite far in. Overall I am a tiny bit disappointed but not hugely so. I am expecting the bugs will be patched out which will help a lot and hope for future DLC to unlock more strategic options. This has the makings of a classic that people will be buying for many years to come, its just not quite there yet.
  28. Oct 28, 2012
    Its very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That isIts very good and addictive game, if you play at normal difficulty. If you thinking of trying classic, then dont. Its kind of impossible difficulty even for XCOM veterans. The game contains numerous bugs and spoilers, lets hope they get repaired soon. Worst is when you are in larger alien ship - the graphical engine constantly shows you other levels than you need to view. That is embarassing. Id also prefer more diversity, the original XCOM has the element of surprise and randomness, which this XCOM lacks at the geoscape level. Expand
  29. Oct 28, 2012
    I played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't inI played the original series with religious fervor when I was a kid. This game, while slightly different definitely hits the spot. I was very worried this game was going to be dumbed down and not as challenging as the original given the pattern of a lot of video games recently released for the masses. The bottom line is that there is some complexity that was in the original but isn't in this but I've actually found that it just streamlines the game without really reducing the difficulty and the level of thought that needs to go into winning. If you are a fan of the original this is a MUST BUY. If you have played civilization and enjoy that game but aren't familiar with this series, this is a MUST BUY. I am playing on normal-ironman for my first play through. This means I basically have no saves. If I lose a guy he is gone, there is no going back and replaying the mission. Playing the game this way makes it incredibly intense. I can't wait for the DLCs!!!! Expand
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    I played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really seeI played the original X-Com UFO Defense, and Terror from the Deep. Firaxis has done a superb job in providing a game that is quite simply....just X-Com, there has been some polish in certain areas of the game of course and its moved up and met modern graphical and rendering standards but as someone that was a diehard fan of the originals as I play through the new one, I can't really see anything that stands out to me as a dire violation of the original games premise. Some might quibble about the lack of randomly generated encounter maps, but there seem to be plenty non-RNG ones that should keep people busy. Overall there is nothing about this game that is abusing my sensibilities as a fan of the original games, they didn't miss a hitch, anything they expanded on, or removed, from the original, is barely noticeable and has no impact whatsoever on the experience being just plain and simple XCOM for the current generation. Firaxis has done the one thing many "remake" developers have not been able to achieve, they've produced the exact same product I loved 20 or so years ago, they just made it prettier, more interactive and more exciting to play. All I can say is that the one reviewer that gave this game a 70 but said it was a great game and you should buy it is the ONLY reason this game's Metacritic rating didn't breach the 90 mark. If Firaxis releases an SDK, and considers some strong DLC offerings, I'll be quite happy to snap up both. Well done Firaxis, thanks for not screwing it up! Expand

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.