XCOM: Enemy Within PC

8.0

1. Nov 16, 2013
    I am putting a 10 just to offset some of the more ignorant comments below. The game is still great, with the addition of several unique features. You can still play Enemy Unknown if you choose to do so before starting the game.

For those people asking why 2K is charging a lot more in Australia, please stop making yourselves look bad and do some research why your government has put taxes on games. Don't blame the dev/publishers for what your leaders are doing.
  2. Nov 18, 2013
    If there was no Enemy Unknown, then Enemy Within would be a 9 or a 10 game. But Enemy Within, the so-called "expansion," is nothing more than a glorified patch and a few maps, which should have cost $5 at most. It costs thirty dollars. It adds a new minor human enemy, one or two new aliens, and a few maps. That's it. It calls itself an "expansion" and that is a lie. An expansion wouldIf there was no Enemy Unknown, then Enemy Within would be a 9 or a 10 game. But Enemy Within, the so-called "expansion," is nothing more than a glorified patch and a few maps, which should have cost $5 at most. It costs thirty dollars. It adds a new minor human enemy, one or two new aliens, and a few maps. That's it. It calls itself an "expansion" and that is a lie. An expansion would have added significant gameplay, an expansion or continuation of the story-line/plot...basically a new experience. Enemy within offers none of those things. You play the exact same game as before, only with a tiny amount of new "stuff" that costs almost as much as a full game. If you never played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, then this is a great purchase as a stand-alone product (Steam requires you buy the original, so don't do it!). I can recommend it as a first-time game, since it is a fantastic game on its own. But don't buy this "expansion" if you already own the first game, or at least wait until this map pack is more appropriately priced ($5 max). I was ripped off again by unscrupulous game publishers. Don't suffer the same fate. Expand
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    It adds great gameplay features to an already great game, with all the features added the campaign will feel new even though it's the same. It's a bit pricey, but if you shopped around you could have got it for a 20 dollar pre-order and i'm sure it'll be on sale over the holidays. The AI seems to have gotten a bit of an overhaul and uses high ground, supression, overwatch, flanking moreIt adds great gameplay features to an already great game, with all the features added the campaign will feel new even though it's the same. It's a bit pricey, but if you shopped around you could have got it for a 20 dollar pre-order and i'm sure it'll be on sale over the holidays. The AI seems to have gotten a bit of an overhaul and uses high ground, supression, overwatch, flanking more effectively. Tweaks to the meta-game like facility adjacency bonus' are also welcome. My minor complaints are that the difficulty curve can be a bit wonky at the start, especially if you've played through the campaign multiple times already and move the story ahead too quickly, the scripted story missions will start throwing very difficult aliens at you way before you're adequately ready to handle them. This in combination with the accuracy estimates seeming to be being a little off or having a new hidden penalty, it can get frustrating, especially on classic or higher difficulty. If you loved Enemy Unknown you'll love Enemy Within, if you didn't, it hasn't changed anything that's going to make you like it. Expand
  4. Nov 23, 2013
    If you liked EU you will certainly like this. I was worried MECs would unbalance the game like panzers did in silent storm but they will die quite fast if your reckless on classic. And the rush for meld makes the game alot more intense as well.
    The new exalt faction is a nice addition as well, though some more mission types would be nice. But its a different expierence than fighting aliens.
    The new maps are great as well, finally some more variety.
    I'l really enjoying the expansion and its well worth the price for me.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    Great expansion refreshes the Enemy Unknown experience. None of the new features fundamentally change the gameplay already established in Enemy Unknown but they do add some significant new variety to the game, including new maps, some new enemies and new upgrades to your troops.

Part of me still yearns for a more in depth experience as in the original XCom games, but this was also frustrating at times (how many ammo clips do I give each soldier?!). EU/EW greatly streamlines the experience and lets you focus on the more fun aspects, the battles, research, resource management, etc.

Gathering meld now forces you to explore maps faster than you might otherwise (especially on harder difficulties) and introduces new upgrades for your soldiers: MECs, which are awesome cyborg soldiers, and gene modifications to improve your regular troops. The satisfaction of a MEC punching an alien through a wall never gets old, though be careful you don't also destroy something you didn't mean to! The only downside is that later in the game these allow you to really upgrade your troops and leads to most missions becoming quite easy (unlike the first couple of in-game months which are really difficult).

The human Exalt forces are another fun new twist, offering a quite different experience to alien hunting. With no need to capture them alive and equivalent weapons/armour/tech in the early mid game, they can be fairly challenging, or you can just grab rockets and grenades and destroy everything. I feel they could have built this more into a story with more cutscenes or backstory but I still enjoyed it.

A few other great features: soldiers can speak their own languages, base attacks and enemy mechs are more robust than in the original.

Some of the mechanics of the game I feel are a little too scripted, more so than the originals. While this ensures a more consistent experience, it also reduces the replayability significantly. I can't see myself picking this up many more times, though the recently added 'second wave' options allow you to change a number of game mechanics e.g. soldiers can have randomly generated abilities and stats.

I've only experience two minor bugs during my playthrough, so I don't see any major issues there at all, and the game looks and sounds as good as ever with it's distinctive B-movie feel. I feel the price is fair for the amount of time you can spend on the new features. It's still one of my favourite games of recent years and this expansion just adds to it.
  6. Dec 5, 2013
    Further expands on great game. If you ask why I would give it 10 because you have to compare it to whats available now. Seeing only Jagged alliance online in the same category I would give Xcom a 20 but I cant so 10 will have to do. Introduction of MECs, Gene Mods, Exault and a few surprises including the best mission in the whole game the notorious "Fishing Village" have fun
  7. Feb 25, 2014
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown was my favorite game of 2012(or whenever it came out.) This expansion is pretty large, adds some nice variety and is a great reason to do another couple of play throughs- one focusing heavily on MEc's and one heavily one Gene mods, or a balance.
    This is, however. horrifically overpriced. Unless you are getting off a CDkey website, don't buy. Pay UP TO 20 dollars i say, as you will get a solid amount of hours out of another play through.
  8. Nov 20, 2013
    XCOM:EW adds so much fun to the original game. I bought it on an impulse having a calm weekend ahead of me I intended to spend on the new X game. Instead I was just glued to this title for two days. New aliens, new alien craft, new human enemies, lots of customization options for your soldiers.. the game is really worth it.
  9. Nov 21, 2013
    Firaxis and 2K deserve a Nobel prize for restoring faith in modern PC game expansion. Enemy Within is complete, polished, and full of goodies that not only expand the game, but actually improve on what was already a great product.

It's still a tough game that isn't afraid to be challenging, yet it throws a diverse assortment of interesting upgrade paths, cool weapons, super soldiers and much more new content than most of the so-called "DLC" packages we see these days. This might just be the best Expansion Pack since Lord of Destruction. Well worth the price of entry.
  10. Nov 10, 2014
    The game is still XCOM: Enemy unknown (this one is a DLC) and so it can't be bad, but I have to say this expansion doesn't add much depth to game mechanics, it just adds stuff.

The additions make the game a little bit harder at start (because of additional attacks and sabotages) but quite too much easy toward the end of the game, mainly because of genetics. The whole "fusion" idea is

The whole "fusion" idea is interesting though.

To make things short I mean exactly this: if you happen to find this at discounted prices like €5 or less, buy it, you will enjoy it, otherwise wait, because you will regret it.
  11. Nov 27, 2013
    The original XCOM was a great game, but this expansion really expands it in many ways. The game is now more interesting and maybe easier then before (if you play smart). New units and techs are great, although EXALT missions are repetitive and boring after a while.
  12. Dec 3, 2013
    This is a solid expansion and well worth the money. Firaxis have built on what was already an excellent game and made it even better. Its like they have combined 2 of my favorite games of the 1990's Syndicate and enemy unknown. My only criticism is that the game still plays out in a fairly linear fashion and strategic options in the worldview are fairly limited. There are also aThis is a solid expansion and well worth the money. Firaxis have built on what was already an excellent game and made it even better. Its like they have combined 2 of my favorite games of the 1990's Syndicate and enemy unknown. My only criticism is that the game still plays out in a fairly linear fashion and strategic options in the worldview are fairly limited. There are also a number of scripted missions and minor balancing issues. That said though, the real meat of the game, the tactical combat, plays out superbly and the new toys you get to play with make an already great game even better. Expand
  13. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even when I've uninstalled all my Steam games (something I do regularly), XCOM: Enemy Unknown is the one I re-install when I really need to play something. Still, in most cases I don't play through to the mothership finale I just see if I can get satellites over all countries w/no defections and research my way through both the Lab and the Foundry. At that point, the end of the game is a foregone conclusion, and I start a new one.

XCOM: Enemy Within brings a whole new complexity and expansiveness to the game. I love the MEC and gene engineering options, and having multiple plot threads (aliens, EXALT, Progeny) makes the game feel a lot larger. Likewise, I love the new maps and the repurposing of some of the old ones; now, having an old map in the original orientation and use provokes more of a "OK, I know how to do this one" reaction rather than a "[Sigh] Not again" reaction. And, as others have noted, the Meld issue forces me to move a bit more aggressively and recklessly than I normally do.

What I'd love to see in future DLC (besides more maps and maybe a few more scenarios) is some form of "Search and Respond" mission that you can initiate at any time in effect, to provide a setting to experiment in and to advance rookies. What you encounter could range anywhere from a stray cow (and maybe a Meld pillar) to an EXALT safe house to a standard alien encounter to an overwhelming flood of aliens (with you having to make a successful retreat while being pressed and attacked on all sides).

I have a few complaints (spoilerish) the EXALT HQ raid seemed a bit easy, while the "Operation Progeny" scenario comes a bit late in the game to have the impact that I'd like it to have (in terms of adding talented personnel). On the other hand, the 'Enemy Within' event was a true "Oh, crap!" moment.

Excellent DLC for an excellent game, well worth the price.
  14. Nov 24, 2013
    A fantastic expansion which adds an enjoyable amount of new content including missions, maps, enemies, buildings, items, customization options, and adds new storyline. The additions of the new enemy faction are a welcome relief from the regular alien squashing. Genetic engineering and the MEC labs are also enjoyable new addition which will change your previous badass into a superhumanA fantastic expansion which adds an enjoyable amount of new content including missions, maps, enemies, buildings, items, customization options, and adds new storyline. The additions of the new enemy faction are a welcome relief from the regular alien squashing. Genetic engineering and the MEC labs are also enjoyable new addition which will change your previous badass into a superhuman killing machine. I hope they continue working on more content for XCOM because this just revived the game again. Expand
  15. Nov 21, 2013
    Great expansion for a already good game, I really enjoyed the way it changed the overal gameplay.

My only complaints are: - It might be a bit too expensive for a expansion - The late game can be somewhat easy when you have heavily gene-modded troops along with maxed out MEC's. - Base attack isn't all that great when compared to the original. In the original you would be wise to

My only complaints are:
    - It might be a bit too expensive for a expansion
    - Base attack isn't all that great when compared to the original. In the original you would be wise to design your base to have choke points where the enemy would enter (elevator and hangars).

But other then that then that, a great game.
  16. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a great game. It would have been 10 out of 10 IF Some of the bugs were fixed for multiplayer and they should have changed the story.
    But the new units are great everything is just great in the game (Except The Bugs).
    The New Enemies like EXALT Are so well done! And second of all The AI Was Rebalanced so they can use Grenades, Medkits etc. (I'm Talking About EXALT here). EXALT
    The New Enemies like EXALT Are so well done!
    EXALT is like so meant to be there!
    The Aliens Oh boy The Seeker and the Mechtoids are Awesome.
    If you want to find out why EXALT is there why don't you take a while to think. Why Are they doing Anti-XCOM Projects? Why Are They Not killing the aliens?
    And when you lose like a Colonel in your squad you are like NOOOOO!!!
    Oh right! The new units! The MECs love MECs and Getting a gene modded unit in your squad? THATS AWESOME!!
    Well that's all I have to say for now!
  17. Jun 26, 2015
    It worths every penny!

I'm a massive fan of the old X-COM games. I played them through billions of times. When I first saw the new XCOM game, I was less than thrilled. No AP, no thanks. Then I tried it for some reason. At first I didn't like it all that much. It was weird and restrictive, but by the time I completed it, it grew on me. It is not the old XCOM for sure but the updates
    It worths every penny!

It is not the old XCOM for sure but the updates and improvements are working really well. The new XCOM is extremely fun and addictive on its own. This reboot was risky, but Firaxis pulled it through perfectly, Big Thumbs up.
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    A great game made even better! Firaxis has done a masterful job of fixing any little issues this game had and expanding upon what made this game great. There is no question that this add-on is worth every penny of the $29 I spent. By far the best 'expansion' to come along since Heart of the Swarm for StarCraft II. If you played XCOM in the past, this is definitely a must buy!
  19. Dec 5, 2013
    You like XCOM Enemy Unknown.
    You are reading these reviews in hope of answering the question: Should I spend good money on the expansion?
    I know, I have been there... so let me help you decide. There are two kind of xcom players: those who play for hundreds of hours, on ironman, over and over again, and those who play the game once, because let's face it, life is short and there are
    You like XCOM Enemy Unknown.
    I know, I have been there... so let me help you decide.
    There are two kind of xcom players: those who play for hundreds of hours, on ironman, over and over again, and those who play the game once, because let's face it, life is short and there are hundreds of games out there. The first category, they already have the expoansion, and they are having a blast... I know, I became one of them... Now the second category, your category. You know going through the game again is a 20-30 hour journey, so is it worth the money to play the same game again?
    What the expansion offers is more of everything: more baddies, more mission variety, more gadgets and more ways to power-up your soldiers. Is it different enough to justify a replay? Do you like watching new iterations/reboots of superhero movies? Same idea. Similar enough that you know what to expect, different enough that it gives fresh sensations and even a few wtf moments.
    Your money, your choice. If you are not a hardcore XCOM player, and have steam, and you have already waited this long, I would recommend to wait for a sale, but then definitely get it.
  20. Nov 16, 2013
    To put it short, XCOM Enemy Within will fix many of the problems you had in Enemy Unknown. This includes Dr. Vahlen never shutting up, removing all items from soldiers (In order to find that one person who has that medkit to give them to someone else), bringing back the freshness of exploring new maps, combating new and dangerous foes, fighting against humans, customizing your characterTo put it short, XCOM Enemy Within will fix many of the problems you had in Enemy Unknown. This includes Dr. Vahlen never shutting up, removing all items from soldiers (In order to find that one person who has that medkit to give them to someone else), bringing back the freshness of exploring new maps, combating new and dangerous foes, fighting against humans, customizing your character even more, and a new branch of missions from the council.

This game gets a 9/10 since some of the problems haven't been fixed by Firaxis but XCOM Enemy Within is a great expansion with a great TU to the original game.

Buy it
  21. Dec 13, 2013
    Great set of enhancement for an already great game. More maps. More campaign elements, more inventory to manage. While the new additions of meld and medals may make the endgame easier on easy setting, they won't help you on classic or impossible ironman so much. The criticism that this makes the game too easy are invalidated by the fact that the game has hard settings, and ways to evenGreat set of enhancement for an already great game. More maps. More campaign elements, more inventory to manage. While the new additions of meld and medals may make the endgame easier on easy setting, they won't help you on classic or impossible ironman so much. The criticism that this makes the game too easy are invalidated by the fact that the game has hard settings, and ways to even make it harder from there. Arguments that the expansion is overpriced ignore the fact that this is targeted at people who already play the game and want more. In this context the price is reasonable. Indeed I'm surprised that fans of the game would not be happy to expand their play experience and support the developers at the same time, with a price that is good for everyone. If you like X-COM Enemy this is a no-brainer, get it today. If you are in here giving it a red score on the basis of price, you are a no-brainer, who probably needs to get a job.

Orctowngrot.
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    There was some really good additions to the game, but I would say it's fundamentally flawed. Before the expansion, the end game was pretty easy and the hardest are the first few months. With all the new toys they give you, they had to crank up the difficulty and add new enemies. This makes the earlier months even tougher, and the end game even easier :(

They didn't even scale or change

They didn't even scale or change the end mission to account for all of the enemy within changes!
  23. Jan 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to give this game a 7.5 but it wouldn't let me. The real reasons for this are quite obvious, if you have played the game. First and foremost, the AI (alien invaders) always get in range long before the X-COM defenders can even take a clear shot. Which means, basically, you're a sitting duck for at least a turn before you can engage in combat. This feature is also exacerbated by the fact that the aliens can shoot through, around, over or beyond anything I've ever seen. They also get to move as soon as the X-COM team comes into contact with them, no sneaking up on the enemy and eliminating them like the Navy Seals do. That's something that the X-COM soldiers also cannot do, even wearing GHOST armor, The aliens almost never miss, at long range, which is frustrating, because if you go after them aggressively, they will get shots on your guys without them being able to respond or at a huge shot penalty disadvantage. This continues until, and even when the X-COM forces have advanced through the ranks to Major or Colonel. Even at that stage the aliens have longer range and better targeting than the X-COM forces. There is an awful lot of X-COM forces missing 94% shots at close range, leaving men exposed to one last hit by the alien enemies. One example was where I had played to the end of an alien ship landing and barely escaped disaster from an attacking Monstrous Sectopod and 3 heavy floaters, only to be suddenly ambushed by a muton, 2 muton elite, a muton berserker and a psi-commander before I had the opportunity to reload or use medkits for a couple of hits I took. Needless to say, I thought I had everything under control but 3 of my best guys missed 85% to 94% shots consecutively and one of my best guys got killed. How does that happen and why? These are supposed to be Elite X-COM super soldiers that have been genetically modified. What's up with that?
    Anyway, I happen to like turn based games but this one seems to be a little chaotic when it comes to being player friendly, so to speak. I don't think anyone likes getting killed just before they get across the finish line. One last desperate shot killed my X-COM Colonel. Dammit!!!!!!
    The game is good and entertaining but paying for genetic modifications (great idea) and MEC's (which I don't like) along with a couple of new aliens and a few extra missions , doesn't really seem like it's that much better for the money. Don't misunderstand me, I like what they did, aside from the MEC thing, which I think could have been turned into a different game altogether, but it could have been much better at the same price. I also think that basically having just one team of X-COM soldiers is a little short sighted and perhaps future DLC can adjust the narrow focus of this game.
    I also think that having a few more levels with a few more perks for the soldiers would have been good for the game, (like not missing shots above 80% perhaps) and adding a few more psi powers and maybe being able to choose rank upgrades from the start and more than just 2 per rank, would be a somewhat major improvement.. More customized abilities for each character/soldier and maybe a little higher attribute scores every once in a while. It's a huge waste of time and resources to buy and train soldiers to get attribute scores like 34 will and 55 aim. That is just not going to cut it in X-COM. And perhaps, a way of obtaining a bit more funding in the early game so it doesn't stagger the progression so much until there isn't anything left to research or build.
    Nevertheless, the alien attack on X-COM headquarters was a purely brilliant idea and a handful of creative ideas like that would have made this addition a blockbuster. I also think that the Exalt faction is a huge step in the right direction but could have been better and perhaps a little better explanation of what the icons were there for and why. But, alas it wasn't to be.
    Hope there is another DLC to this game from 2K soon.
  24. Jan 18, 2014
    Very good game, nice addition to original. But ... this game should be the part of Enemy Unknown, basically 80% of the game - is you played it already in original, same beginning, same ending. Of course genetic and cybernetic elements adds much fun to it, especially when you play Terminator mode, but I already completed this game year ago. If you didnt play original game you gonna like it.Very good game, nice addition to original. But ... this game should be the part of Enemy Unknown, basically 80% of the game - is you played it already in original, same beginning, same ending. Of course genetic and cybernetic elements adds much fun to it, especially when you play Terminator mode, but I already completed this game year ago. If you didnt play original game you gonna like it.
    p.s. I hate way of modern game developers - to develop a game than divide it into several parts and sell as dlcs. Please instead of one 20 usd game and 3 10 usd dlcs make 50 usd game with all dlcs included.
  25. Nov 17, 2013
    This feature packed expansion adds so much to the base game it's pretty unbelievable. Fixed all the existing bugs as well. Firaxis is a great company and I am so glad I picked this up.

There are however still some multiplayer issues, but who plays XCOM for the MP?
  26. Nov 18, 2013
    We are seeing an evolution of XCOM EU for a new game. History repeats almost everything but new things are over it. Some errors will be fixed soon, I believe. Hours of fun guaranteed reaching all success of the original.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    I was really looking forward to this and they didn't disappoint. Makes all the little things that annoyed me in the base game, go away for me. I hope there is more to come.
  28. Ogr
    Nov 13, 2013
    This Addon makes XCOM even better, sadly there is no new campaign, but playing it again with all the new maps and improvements makes as much fun as playing it for the very first time. Good job.
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    A decent amount of content comes with this dlc if you have never played xcom enemy
    unknown before then this might be the time to purchase the game.
    For console users there is a disc available that gives you the game plus all the dlc unfortunately if you already own Xcom EU there is no seperate disc or other way available to play Xcom EW you will have to purchase the complete set.
    unknown before then this might be the time to purchase the game.

unfortunately if you already own Xcom EU there is no seperate disc or other way
    available to play Xcom EW you will have to purchase the complete set.

For pc there is the digital download and if you already own the game there is no need
    to purchase it again however even on the pc i find the price for this dlc to be a bit high.
    I payed 30 Euro's 40 Dollars for this dlc and although it comes with a decent amount
    of content it still relies on Xcom EU for the most part adding new items a new class a good
    variation of maps and a new recource called meld wich lets you do some pretty awesome stuff.

All of this gives Xcom a fresh look and its worth another playthrough tho i can imagine some
    of the veteran xcom players might be dissapointed by its price and by the fact that some of the
    the bugs are still present in the game and in my own playthrough it felt like the starting months
    of xcom enemy unknown wich also came with its bugs and quirks its a shame that these have
    not been fixed however it can still be patched in the future.

All in all i had a great time with Xcom Enemy Within and i am still playing it as of this writing
    if you like xcom and you want more of it then purchase this dlc if you never played xcom but
    you want to then you will get the most value out of your purchase if you are on a budget
    you might want to hold off for a while until it go's on a discount.
  30. Nov 20, 2013
    Bugs were patched quickly.... The new adds in the game give it a great new feeling and a good way to replay the game.... Despite of having the same base story, there is a "new" way of telling you the same story and to fit the new content. Great new adds of mechs and genetics adds look perfect and are well balanced.... Can be considered a DLC, but a great and VERY BIG content DLC.

For

For me, it worths every cent.... PERFECT!!!!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Augmented XCOM is better, although it does not fix some basic flaws. Great the first time you play it. [Dec 2013]
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    Xcom: Enemy Within is a decent expansion to a slightly flawed original.
  3. PC PowerPlay