Yesterday PC

6.8

1. Feb 28, 2017
    Five Word Review: By-the-numbers adventure game.
    Favorite Thing: The story was decently interesting, enough that I don't regret playing.
    Least Favorite Thing: Nothing stands out over other adventure games. Additionally, the UI is terrible.

Playtime: ~ 4h
    Enjoyment: 6/10
    Recommendation: Yes, sort of. I played it because I was interested in the newly released 'Yesterday Origins'.
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    A short point ‘n’ click adventure with lots of twists to keep you entertained. Unfortunately, the inability to connect with any of the characters and the lack of any truly memorable scenes means the short playthrough will be easily forgotten; just like the eponymous protagonist’s memories.
  3. Jan 3, 2013
    This game is competent (I found no bugs), but approach with caution and do not expect too much. As stated elsewhere, it's short (< 5 hours), and if like me you rate games of 1$ per hour of game-play to be the top range, then buy for only $5. The graphics are of the Monkey Island/The Next Big Thing style, which is fine for comedy games but not for more adult themes that this tries to be. ItThis game is competent (I found no bugs), but approach with caution and do not expect too much. As stated elsewhere, it's short (< 5 hours), and if like me you rate games of 1$ per hour of game-play to be the top range, then buy for only $5. The graphics are of the Monkey Island/The Next Big Thing style, which is fine for comedy games but not for more adult themes that this tries to be. It needs to be a lot darker in visual tone and music. The story is a mix between Broken Sword and something from an Irvine Welsh novel, with even some curse words in there (probably best to know if buying for someone less than 10 year olds). The music is forgettable and does not add anything to the game. Overall, buy cheap, enjoy one or two solving screens, and (probably) like me, Google the other 3 alternate endings, as the last save-point is ridiculously far back in the game. Expand
  4. Mar 25, 2012
    There are 3 things you won't expect in this game: first, how dark and interesting the story is; second, how many bugs there are; third, how quickly it ends. With occasional assistance from the in-game help system, I finished this game in under 5 hours, getting all three endings. I found it to be very well done and thoroughly enjoyable and yet way, waaaay too short for a full priceThere are 3 things you won't expect in this game: first, how dark and interesting the story is; second, how many bugs there are; third, how quickly it ends. With occasional assistance from the in-game help system, I finished this game in under 5 hours, getting all three endings. I found it to be very well done and thoroughly enjoyable and yet way, waaaay too short for a full price purchase. If the game were twice as long I'd be giving it a 7 for STILL being kind of short. Then there are several extremely annoying bugs, the worst of which are sequences in the game where your inventory either becomes invisible or vanishes entirely. Kind of a big deal in an adventure game. As it is, I have to give the game a 5 if you pay full price, 6 if it's patched properly. If you somehow get it for 10-20 bucks, or money is no object to you, that review goes up to an 8.5. Expand
  5. Oct 15, 2012
    This game had me hooked from the get go, throwing me straight into a world with interesting, multi-faceted characters, a mystery to solve, and beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds. I was immediately struck by how player friendly the game is. I was always given enough information to work out what to do next and if I ran into trouble there was a helpful hint system. When I tried to do somethingThis game had me hooked from the get go, throwing me straight into a world with interesting, multi-faceted characters, a mystery to solve, and beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds. I was immediately struck by how player friendly the game is. I was always given enough information to work out what to do next and if I ran into trouble there was a helpful hint system. When I tried to do something that seemed logical to me, the game would almost always let me try it and give me an informative message about why the item combination didn't work. These qualities are sadly lacking in most adventure games I've played so I applaud Yesterday for getting this so right and not leaving the player scratching their head as to why those items "don't work together".
    Yesterday loses a point for, yes being too short, and because consequently the narrative felt a bit rushed and I would have liked to have seen the many reveals spread out a bit more. The game took me about 8 hours but the complex story deserved twice that. Still, the game remained engaging and fun the entire time and kept me on the edge of my seat.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 20, 2012
    You have to admire Pendulo Studios for surviving 18 years by making adventure gamers, but Yesterday is a truly lackluster example of the genre. The writing is consistently awful and the puzzles are annoying and illogical. [June 2012]
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Jun 19, 2012
    Unluckily, it costs 20 quid, which is significantly more than it's worth. [July 2012, p.99]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    May 16, 2012
    The first gaming slap in the face of the year. Expectations grew as we learned news during its development as well as the early gaming experience. Alas, we are let down by a very low difficulty level, a very short gaming duration as well as bad story narration. All the major plot elements are revealed too soon, the game rushes to its finale and we are not met with the anticipated climax. [May 2012]