6.6

1. Oct 15, 2012
    This game had me hooked from the get go, throwing me straight into a world with interesting, multi-faceted characters, a mystery to solve, and beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds. I was immediately struck by how player friendly the game is. I was always given enough information to work out what to do next and if I ran into trouble there was a helpful hint system. When I tried to do somethingThis game had me hooked from the get go, throwing me straight into a world with interesting, multi-faceted characters, a mystery to solve, and beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds. I was immediately struck by how player friendly the game is. I was always given enough information to work out what to do next and if I ran into trouble there was a helpful hint system. When I tried to do something that seemed logical to me, the game would almost always let me try it and give me an informative message about why the item combination didn't work. These qualities are sadly lacking in most adventure games I've played so I applaud Yesterday for getting this so right and not leaving the player scratching their head as to why those items "don't work together".
    Yesterday loses a point for, yes being too short, and because consequently the narrative felt a bit rushed and I would have liked to have seen the many reveals spread out a bit more. The game took me about 8 hours but the complex story deserved twice that. Still, the game remained engaging and fun the entire time and kept me on the edge of my seat.

1. Jun 20, 2012
    You have to admire Pendulo Studios for surviving 18 years by making adventure gamers, but Yesterday is a truly lackluster example of the genre. The writing is consistently awful and the puzzles are annoying and illogical. [June 2012]
  2. Jun 19, 2012
    Unluckily, it costs 20 quid, which is significantly more than it's worth. [July 2012, p.99]
  3. May 16, 2012
    The first gaming slap in the face of the year. Expectations grew as we learned news during its development as well as the early gaming experience. Alas, we are let down by a very low difficulty level, a very short gaming duration as well as bad story narration. All the major plot elements are revealed too soon, the game rushes to its finale and we are not met with the anticipated climax. [May 2012]