5.6

1. Dec 28, 2013
    You see before you a textdriven zombie survival game, which has a lot of great ideas, all of them poorly executed. Every action you take with your character(s) will be written down in diary, so you can go back and review informations gathered about certain locations for example. You can even bookmark the pages, so you do not have to search endlessly.
    The worldmap is a town with a bunch of
    The worldmap is a town with a bunch of buildings, which all have some purpose. The hospital will have a lot of medical supplies, but a lot of zombies inside. The police station a lot of guns. Killing off zombies around and inside such locations, so you can gather useful resources if crucial for survival. Sadly, here comes up one of the flaws of the game: You have searched the house next to your base only one hour ago, right? (The turns in which you act are displayed by ingame 1-hour intervals.) It says there are no zombies outside and 2 zombies inside. So you expect to have a little fight and prepare your character for it with equipment you can let them take with them (you cannot equip a character like in a rpg). They wander to the house and will break in (if you gave the command), search for zombies inside and fight them. What happened with the 0 zombies outside? Right after breaking in you get the information a mob of zombies has gathered, so your impulse would be to retreat, right? No, the game doesn't give you the option, because the breaching of the house is not yet complete. What comes is a fight with the zombies breaking in, which you didn't see beforehand, although you already explored it. You can roll a dice here to determine the outcome or flip a coin. Sometimes a character with no fighting ability whatsoever can finish off a mob by himself without even a scratch and then another time an experienced strong character in a full motorsuit, a machete and a handgun will get a scratch from just one zombie and get infested right in the second after the fight. Good luck planning any fighting, exploring or defending with such a mechanism.
    Now what if you manage to survive in the situation above? You will want to search the house, look for zombies to stay secure and then take the most precious items back to your base or even make the new location your base. Transferring items is easier with additional people so you better send another one inside the house you are in already. But... wait.. what? The game lets the new character break in as if it has not been breached before, although this happened exactly two turns ago. Why do i have to break in, when i already did this once _on the same day_?
    Well, just ignore this. Now both of your characters are in the house, so better let them search the place. I hope they get along pretty well, as otherwise one of them might get injured with cuts and bruises in a fight with _each other_. Yes. You read correctly. Even on the first day, in the first few hours of a zombie apocalypse, you will have characters that fight with each other to the extent that they hurt each other until blood flows. That is frustrating beyond belief after surviving a zombie encounter.

Oh, by the way: Noone watched your house while you were fighting with each other, so it got attacked by zombies that noone saw, although you have 3 houses around your base guarded. Now your fighting characters died, because they couldn't grab one of the many weapons on the ground they just found one turn ago.
    This sums up around 9/10 of the games you will have. Try to avoid this and go play something actually good.
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    Zafehouse: Diaries is a text-based game with a Graphical User Interface which focuses on survival in a small town after a most of the inhabitants have been turned into zombies. You assign five survivors tasks that they will perform when you end your turn. When a turn has been ended, zombies move around the city and the survivors either perform their jobs or become distracted by things suchZafehouse: Diaries is a text-based game with a Graphical User Interface which focuses on survival in a small town after a most of the inhabitants have been turned into zombies. You assign five survivors tasks that they will perform when you end your turn. When a turn has been ended, zombies move around the city and the survivors either perform their jobs or become distracted by things such as infighting, receiving wounds and zombie attacks. Most of the time, your survivors will spend inside a house gathering supplies and reinforcing said house. Once you've got a base of operations set up you can move out to other places in order to find clues that will eventually lead to your team being rescued or a car being fixed so that you can escape. All loot, characters and everything else is pretty much randomized each time you start a new game which would allow for a lot of replayability if it wasn't for the fact that after a few games, you start to feel as if though you're not really in control. Survivors die rather easily and once you've lost the ones with all the skills, you might as well start a new game because it'll take forever to get anything done with the unskilled and the chances of failure are high. Survivors can not learn new skills so they never evolve, except for their relationships with one another (which can either improve or degrade, in turn affecting the outcome of battle and the like, you can mainly improve relationships by starting rumours which feels artificial) This also means that when you start out with a useless survivor, he'll pretty much be useless throughout the game. Somewhat authentic but from a gaming perspective, very annoying. Battles can also be very frustrating events as there is no way to tell the survivors to retreat if they get wounded or to otherwise prioritize the use of certain weapons. You send them in and hope that the information the game provided you was accurate. Most of the time it isn't because you lack control over information gathering. Zafehouse: Diaries is highly reminiscent of Faster Than Light (FTL) and although the developers want you to believe that it is "hard to master" it is more down to luck than anything else, just like FTL. Can't find any food? Your survivors will starve to death in a matter of hours. Lost your best survivors to a random event or otherwise lack of information on what you might be facing? Might as well start a new game, it's only going to go downhill from there and quick. Out of the 9 or so games that I played I experienced one corrupted save game and one scripting error that broke the game for me, just when I was lucky enough to have a good game going with plenty of food, ammo and safe houses. This makes me believe the game isn't overly stable. This is basically an enhanced web-based text-game and I think the amount of money Screwfly Studios charges (Between Expand
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    'Zafehouse. Diaries' is a hard game to rate, as it's a very mixed bag. It's zombie survival with an old school, heavily text based interface. If that concept doesn't scare you away immediately, then it could be worth a try. It's also very difficult by modern standards, though that's mostly a good thing in my book (though an easier setting for learning the ropes might have been nice). What'Zafehouse. Diaries' is a hard game to rate, as it's a very mixed bag. It's zombie survival with an old school, heavily text based interface. If that concept doesn't scare you away immediately, then it could be worth a try. It's also very difficult by modern standards, though that's mostly a good thing in my book (though an easier setting for learning the ropes might have been nice). What really kept me from rating this higher was the rather clunky interface. It kinda reminded of an Elder Scrolls game with its clutter of (almost) useless garbage, which often makes things like finding that flashlight you wanted to take with you on some task very cumbersome.

I also personally aren't quite sure what to make of the fact the game gives you very little numerical "gamey" information, so the only way you'll know whether it's a good idea to assault a group of 10 zombies with a pair of baseball bat wielding survivors is by learning via trial and error. I can see how it might make the game more immersive not to have success percentages etc. visible, but it also makes learning things harder when you have no idea whether you did something genuinely stupid or simply got unlucky.

In the end I did genuinely enjoy 'Zafehouse: Diaries', despite the issues. If they had spent more time polishing the UI, the game could have been an absolute joy, and my score might easily have been even a few points higher.
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Its very fun at the begining but after 2 hours of playing it you get frustated with this game. Randomly generated stuff ruins the game,after you got screwed by this randomness a big number of times you get bored with the game, and having your save file deleted after you lose doesnt make it any better since you cant improve on a little mistake. I dont recommend this game I have played forIts very fun at the begining but after 2 hours of playing it you get frustated with this game. Randomly generated stuff ruins the game,after you got screwed by this randomness a big number of times you get bored with the game, and having your save file deleted after you lose doesnt make it any better since you cant improve on a little mistake. I dont recommend this game I have played for 10 hours and I havent managed to win or get very close. This game is very based on luck I dont recommend it at all. Expand
  5. Sep 10, 2013
    I have been following this game since it first appeared on the steam green light. and in the end, I like what I got. This is not a game I'd recommend to everyone, but the simple fact that I like text based adventures, is perfect, since this is one of the best ones I have every played. All the people complaining that the randomness sucks. Shut the hell up, random events happen, GET OVER IT.I have been following this game since it first appeared on the steam green light. and in the end, I like what I got. This is not a game I'd recommend to everyone, but the simple fact that I like text based adventures, is perfect, since this is one of the best ones I have every played. All the people complaining that the randomness sucks. Shut the hell up, random events happen, GET OVER IT. or would you rather the same thing happen over and over again? I understand there are problems, but most things people complain about other than the random events, are all things that can be fixed with updates and patches. So, for 10 dollars, I personally believe your getting your moneys worth. A fun indie text adventure. There is fun to be had here, but only if you have interest in the genre. Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2013
    I'm deeply sorry to downplay and criticise a very inspired and very interesting indie game like this one. But from playing version 1.51, my excitement from the early hours of play transformed into a great frustration upon realising it was so overly and hurtfully difficult, perhaps plainly impossible, hence making it a very depressing waste of my time and disposition and whatnot. You haveI'm deeply sorry to downplay and criticise a very inspired and very interesting indie game like this one. But from playing version 1.51, my excitement from the early hours of play transformed into a great frustration upon realising it was so overly and hurtfully difficult, perhaps plainly impossible, hence making it a very depressing waste of my time and disposition and whatnot. You have 5 characters, it's likely you won't find more for I certainly didn't, you can't change difficulty and I picked this game from imagining it was difficult for that's what makes a game engaging and rewarding in many cases and you will die. I won't spoil the details, but whatever efforts you may make, they'll be met with relentless failure probably from the beginning to the end. That's it, the end, you all die..... Expand
  7. Jun 28, 2013
    The idea for the game was decent, however... i'm not a big fan of purely RNG(Random Number Generator) games. And this is quite literally 80% RNG if not more. Setup traps, barricades, have rifles/pistols? Well you know those 2 survivors you just sent out to get some supplies from next door that you just cleared with the whole group and raided an hour ago? First off, they don't get to turnThe idea for the game was decent, however... i'm not a big fan of purely RNG(Random Number Generator) games. And this is quite literally 80% RNG if not more. Setup traps, barricades, have rifles/pistols? Well you know those 2 survivors you just sent out to get some supplies from next door that you just cleared with the whole group and raided an hour ago? First off, they don't get to turn around and help when "randomly" a Large mob of people come to lynch 1 specific survivor. How do they know he's there? Dunno. Why are they here/who are they? Dunno. Do your traps/barricades do a damned thing? Nope. Apparently going against other humans/events completely remove any defenses that might hinder them. This didn't happen once, it happened 3 times. 1 of those 3 times, i had a single survivor. The other 2, all 3 of the people in my "Well defended house" Died. Mind you each time was easily an hour or 2 into the game as well, and had at least 3 handguns/firearms and ammo to boot. It isn't "difficult" because its hard, or your tactics are off. It's just an artificial difficulty based off "How lucky are you". Just the Modifiers are against you. Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2013
    It's a real shame that this game promises so much, and fails at every hurdle.

I was excited to see a 'text based game' which roguelike elements bringing something fresh to the zombie craze that seems to be going on but I was quickly disappointed. Even creators of rouglelike games understand there has to be SOME method to the madness and there is none in this. EVERYTHING is randomly
    It's a real shame that this game promises so much, and fails at every hurdle.

Even creators of rouglelike games understand there has to be SOME method to the madness and there is none in this. EVERYTHING is randomly generated. It doesn't matter if you play it completely stealth (no guns, to noise, full patrols) zombies will still ambush and attack in ungodly numbers. It doesn't matter if you cleared out a house one turn ago, if you leave it and come back it could be full again.
    I played this over and over hoping to learn from my mistakes like you do with most roguelikes but with this you can't. There is no learning to be done. It's all guesswork and hope.
    I guess i'll be looking for a different game to satisfy my random generated urges.
  9. Mar 5, 2013
    I was actually VERY impressed with the game. It is worth noting that this is a text based tactical game so it won't be to everyone's standards but in itself it is exceptionally gripping. The ability it design your own survivors and locations that are used in game is a wonderful idea that is executed perfectly. More and more content is constantly being added and the designers seem to beI was actually VERY impressed with the game. It is worth noting that this is a text based tactical game so it won't be to everyone's standards but in itself it is exceptionally gripping. The ability it design your own survivors and locations that are used in game is a wonderful idea that is executed perfectly. More and more content is constantly being added and the designers seem to be well in touch with the community. Overall if you are into these types of games you will love it. Expand
  10. Sep 8, 2013
    While this game isn't terrible and certainly is an interesting concept, most occurrences seem largely random and game play really becomes boring once you've gotten screwed by the random generator too many times. Direction is pretty weak and some aspects seem really overly complicated.

I'm sure the developers will make adjustments and it'll probably get better. For now, it's definitely just a 5, though, because I just didn't have very much fun playing it. Is that due to the fact that it's realistic in its dire, zombie wasteland, setting? Possibly. For me, I'd just rather not be depressed while playing anything. There's too many other fun things to play.
  11. Oct 24, 2013
    Roll a dice, throw a six and you die.

(Note: i changed my review because I made an error regarding Kari and I found the savegame location.) Previous reviews capture my disappointment with this game: too much randomness. Let me first say that it took some pondering before I decided to buy the game because the approach intrigued me even though it was yet another zombie game. The idea of
    Roll a dice, throw a six and you die.

Previous reviews capture my disappointment with this game: too much randomness.
    Let me first say that it took some pondering before I decided to buy the game because the approach intrigued me even though it was yet another zombie game. The idea of having a kind of diary that follows your (groups) exploits with snapshots and text is a new take that could go a long way, provided there's enough in the game to keep the diary interesting.
    In fact the game has a kind of fitting tune at the start. And on the whole the sparse art makes it interesting for me.
    For a while I actually started to enjoy the game. At first I did the 'no survivor version', but then I moved to 'the road kill' version in which you have to escape town by finding car parts and repairing a vehicle. After some misadventures I managed to setup a core group of three skilled people that had splendid relations and I proceeded to establish secure houses around town. I actually saw myself getting within reach of my goal even though I had not found one single part of the car. None of the locations suggested actually gave me the required parts. We will get back to that later on.
    And then.. wham.. one of my key persons died. It turned out she was wounded and infected and well: tough luck.
    The first thing I tried to do is to go back to a previous save. This can be found on a pc under Libraries-Documents-Zafehouse diaries as save.zhs.
    The game suggests that it is about decisions that you make while facing the rising zombie threat. About your handling of tensions within your group, about your efforts to live through events and overcome obstacles. And while it is okay to throw in a random challenge once in a while, a challenge you can’t do anything about is not a challenge at all, but an ordeal.
    For instance when you start out with a group this group is randomly put together. You might start with a group lacking key skills or having already bad relations. Since there is no option to learn or upgrade skills, as far as I know and the handling of relations is limited, your only option is to restart the game.
    In addition you have only a limited control over upgrading items. You can order items of a certain category to be upgraded what item it actually will be and what the result will be is unknown. I actually found that one item degraded in a key area: the basic flashlight when upgraded sometimes gets worse in spotting.
    Next to this are the random events that are thrown at you. For instance after carefully scouting a small house that had only a few zombies I decided to occupy it and had my entire party wiped out. I was amazed at that, but then live sucks, until I read that this was a random triggered event.
    This random system breaks the game. For instance barricading your house might even see a skilled barricader fail in succession because the result is random generated.
    Attacks by zombies are relentless and seemingly made to wear you out. They also seem randomly generated and the only way to influence them is that you get attacked more when you make more noise. I tried the trick to draw them away with a bonfire, this worked once for a long time, the second time around it seem not to do much.
    And then finally the car quest. The game gives you a clue where to start, but after that everything is a random event. The car or car part(s) might be at the place where the clue points you to.You might find another clue at a random location that gives you the location where you might find another car part. Might. Might. Might.
    The game basically becomes a series of dice throws and if six makes a party member die and a one makes you find one of the seven items that you need to find to get out alive, you can do the math. And that is not even calculating the fact that a three gives you an event that severely sets you back. It is like Russian roulette: roll a dice, throw a six and you die.
    It is a small game, with some neat features, perhaps after some patching adding more control and less random death events might make it a good game.
  12. Oct 16, 2013
    I'm really surprised to see user score this low for Zafehouse. [5,5 right now] The fan base if it exists, should really move their bottoms, and spread the word of how good the game is.
    If you like micromanagement games, this title could really entertain you. It can be unforgiving at times, randomness is as much frustrating as it is rewarding. And of course you can die very fast if you don't know the game mechanics, but you will be using very simple interface so you'll learn fast. With newest update you can,, change the level of difficulty and the game rules. So, for people looking for more casual "zombie apocalypse survival adventure-strategy" experience, there's something too. Plus, you can choose from three game modes (quite different from each other), customize your survivors, and play the game a few times because of high replay value.
    Well worth ten bucks if you like atmospheric turn-based strategy games. (a little bit like "Rebuild" game on Android).
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Nov 25, 2013
    Addictive, but not necessarily rewarding. [December 2013, p.86]
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    One city. Five people. Thousands of zombies. One diary from which you'll learn everything about survival turn-based hell. Seven out of ten zombies recommend this.
  3. Feb 24, 2013
    A tense, demanding strategic survival game that always tells a different, unique tale, which you are encouraged to rewrite and share with friends.