Bully PlayStation 2

9.0

1. AkramA.
    Dec 30, 2007
    One of the most enjoyable original PS2 games ever... Excellent soundtrack... and a game worth playing for years!
  2. Freakersoft
    Oct 24, 2006
    "Bully" is that kind of game that when you start playing you cant stop. There is so much to do in this game. It's fun, good graphics, good story and easy controls. This game is absolutely a wanna have!
  3. KeithH.
    Nov 5, 2006
    I love Rockstar Games, and this was well worth the wait. It is so interactive. I starts out a little slow at first, but then really gets fun. It makes messing with people fun! Don't hesitate to buy this one.
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Summary
    +Great levels of originality, making it much better than a “San Andreas without guns” as some have claimed the game is.
    +Excellent variety of characters weapons, clothes, vehicles, activities etc.
    +Good voice acting giving the characters depth.
    +Great levels of humour making Bully one of the most enjoyable games Rockstar has made.
    +Interesting story involving great interactions with MPC from different fractions, with each character feeling individual.
    -Story while good ends on a non-ground-breaking note.
    -The game is too easy, as the enemy A.I isn’t that smart and the use of upgrades and weapons, help make combat a bit of a breeze.
    -Weak graphics by modern standards, but that is to be expected from a game this old.

Full Review
    One the great things that you will notice about Bully is how the RPG like elements help to make Jimmy(your character) feel more alive, as he progresses gaining skills as the story progresses. This is particularly true after completing individual classes, e.g. in gym class you can unlock new attacks like head-butt etc. Speaking of classes on the great things is how all of them are unique requiring different skills. The only class I found to be particularly difficult is that of English, because I suck at speaking England. Other activities that provide unlocks etc. is that of racing which eventually led you to unlock a go cart which activities also help you earn money you can use to buy clothes, haircuts ,tattoos (on the last section of the map). Unfortunately you can only date girls in the game once, but it’s not major issue as they remain present within various sections of the story. Such activities help to make Bully feel more special than just a “p***y version of San Andreas”.

The next great thing about Bully is the funny elements of the game. It is so satisfying to get prefects (who are the police of the school) and dunk them in toilets and dump them in garbage bags. My personal felt thing to do is too walk behind them and crank them in the back of the head with a baseball bat, (I am normal honestly). However unlike other games with such humour, Bully mixes in features that help remind you that you are not un-punishable e.g. detention. Such features help maintain a beautiful balances between humour and realism.

The next great thing about Bully is that of levels of variety. This can be seen by how each student MPC is unique and differently voiced helping them feel like different characters rather than simple copies of each other. This is especially true of MPCs within the story, e.g. Russell, Gary etc. Other variety includes how the environment, while small compared to other open world games, is full of detail and interesting locations, e.g. the mental asylum, the fair ground, the slaughter house etc.

As far as I can see there are only two sources of concern within the game.

The first is the combat. This is a really fun feature of the game, with the use of unlocking new moves and weapons e.g. the rocket launcher (not that good due to accuracy issues); help to enhance combat make it feel fresh. What is also good is how the comical nature of the game helps to provide a nice contrast with the really violent nature of the game. There are however two major issues. The first is that the melee combat is too simple, as most moves require pressing square multiple times and holding it. The second issue is how the combat is too easy because the enemy A.I isn’t too sharp, meaning in the whole game I never once got knocked out (in GTA terms “died”). Such features remove tension in battle.

The second possible issue is that of story. The story is by no means a bad story, as you gradually progress via chapters, in which you fight the leader of each fraction and gradually climb the ladder of popularity. While at first this seems repetitive, it actually proves no to be so, because within each chapter Jimmy takes a different approach to beating each fraction, e.g. in the 4th (Spoiler) he uses the nerds to help beat the jocks. This is lack of repetitiveness, is helped by the variety of characters, missions, but mainly because of Jimmy himself being portrayed as the only sane character in an otherwise insanity filled school. Unfortunately though the ending is not cinematic enough, because while it provides a nice completed ending with no unanswered questions, it is very predictable and the final boss battle, in many ways is worse than the fights with the faction’s leaders.

Nevertheless these issues are not enough to prevent Bully being one of the greatest games Rockstar has ever made. If you can I would advise getting the ps2 version, because unfortunately the XBOX 360 version has few bugs, not many improvements in graphics, and not enough added in other than 4 new classes (that are mostly pointless) to make it a superior version. Nevertheless the XBOX version will still have great value.

Let’s hope Bully 2 is going to be just as awesome.
  5. Nov 29, 2013
    So much fun, like a teen version of Grand Theft Auto games. Good soundtrack, nice story, and great gameplay. I had a lot of fun with it. Definitely worth playing.
  6. ApocalypseB.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Its not as big or expansive as San Andreas, but I enjoyed this almost as much as Vice City, and both games I enjoyed far more than SA. This game virtually has it all for an Sandbox game: Constant humour, excellent fighting system, well scripted storyline, a fully interactive and enjoyably assessable world and of course, the prefects/police. This game is so enjoyable, anyone who had a good Its not as big or expansive as San Andreas, but I enjoyed this almost as much as Vice City, and both games I enjoyed far more than SA. This game virtually has it all for an Sandbox game: Constant humour, excellent fighting system, well scripted storyline, a fully interactive and enjoyably assessable world and of course, the prefects/police. This game is so enjoyable, anyone who had a good childhood at School will derive their own memories of rebellious behaviour and naughty pranks while carrying out our young Jimmy own experiences. There is so much to tell, so I'll just say go out and play this masterpiece! But there are faults, like the classes you attend get very boring, and are ultimately pointless. But there are things where, if you are smart enough to get away truanting, you don't have to go through, giving it that extra special feeling. Brilliant! Expand
  7. JohnB.
    Oct 18, 2006
    "Bully" has the potential to be even more immersive than any of the GTA games, but I've only been playing it for 3 hours and have yet to leave the school grounds. So far it's a must-buy.
  8. ElliottBolton
    Aug 29, 2005
    I have to give this game a rating of 10, I mean come on! The potential for it to be one of Playstations 2's best games is second to none. Just think about it, roaming around the school doing what you like when you like, earning a bit of extra cash for yourself to upgrade your equipment. Think GTA but with a boy who doesn't take s**t from no-one. In my opinion it has got to beI have to give this game a rating of 10, I mean come on! The potential for it to be one of Playstations 2's best games is second to none. Just think about it, roaming around the school doing what you like when you like, earning a bit of extra cash for yourself to upgrade your equipment. Think GTA but with a boy who doesn't take s**t from no-one. In my opinion it has got to be one of the PS2's best games ever when it comes out. Expand
  9. BirdMan
    Dec 13, 2006
    This game is worth it just for the stellar mini-games. from arcades about monkey feces to boxing matchs to dodge ball to running paper routes to bike races to word scrambles to betting on freak shows (midget boxing, to name one) to just playing catch with random people (be careful not you hit `em in the head or you`ll start a fight) just to name a few. this is like Grand Theft Auto: This game is worth it just for the stellar mini-games. from arcades about monkey feces to boxing matchs to dodge ball to running paper routes to bike races to word scrambles to betting on freak shows (midget boxing, to name one) to just playing catch with random people (be careful not you hit `em in the head or you`ll start a fight) just to name a few. this is like Grand Theft Auto: Bullworth Acadamy! I can`t wait for Bully 2: Vice City High!!! Expand
  10. StephenS.
    Oct 26, 2006
    Love this game! My PlayStation had been collecting dust for the past few months, but because of this game, it's hard for me to ever turn the damn thing off!
  11. GabyG.
    Nov 12, 2007
    I give this game a 9 becuase i though this game had a great story-line. It a combo of a first person action game such as GTA but with a PG13 rating. This game was very entertaining and lots of fun for everyone.
  12. Sep 28, 2012
    Outstanding game. It has a unique atmosphere to it. The music, the characters, the school and town of Bullworth, the playfulness... everything blends together and creates one of those games you fall in love with and never forget.
  13. Sep 14, 2013
    This is the BEST Rockstar game. And Yes, I write this in 2013. Developers extremely clearly bring the School Spirit in this game. And this is one of the best PS2 games.
  14. Feb 4, 2014
    A school-version of Grand Theft Auto, nothing more to say, just buy it period. Even if it's an old game, it's better than half the new games there are.
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER!!!!!!

I just dont get how can people dislike this game.. It AMAZING! The story is really, the characters are really likeable, and the game is FUN,, i recommend this game to EVERYONE!
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    MOST UNDERRATED GAME EVER!!!!!!

17. CraigJ.
    Oct 30, 2006
    A revolutionary game that works from the genius of GTA to make a spectacular and gripping game.
  18. BrianK.
    Apr 2, 2007
    Great game, perhaps the best mini-games game ever, trying to pass the classes is the toughest part of the game, I highly recommend this game to anyone, It's GTA meets the Sims at a boarding school. Great hours of fun!
  19. AllistairP.
    Oct 21, 2006
    Hated GTA. Loved Bully. If you felt the same, give this a try. You'll be surprised. Just damn fun, and so many hours of damned funness.
  20. CitizenR.
    Nov 7, 2006
    Engaging and gleeful of spirit, this game sucks you right in like Rockstar's other smash hit, the GTA franchise...this time though, this gamer feels not one lick of moral uneasiness as I rewrite my high school memories through Jimmy's relentless wedgies and poundings. If only I had been this misanthropic during school! But now I have my chance!!!
  21. BrianD.
    Oct 23, 2006
    This game is for me one of the best and funniest games I have ever played.
  22. Noir
    Oct 23, 2006
    Long load times. Funky camera work. A little tedious but very, very fun.
  23. D.Wik
    Jan 11, 2007
    Just beat this game. Was great to the very end. It reminded me a lot of GTA vice city and the Warriors. It is an open world and even though the city is smaller than a GTA city, this game has the best atmosphere of any Rockstar game to date with very good attention to detail. Although it was a little easy, the main game clocks in a good time for completion and there are almost unlimited Just beat this game. Was great to the very end. It reminded me a lot of GTA vice city and the Warriors. It is an open world and even though the city is smaller than a GTA city, this game has the best atmosphere of any Rockstar game to date with very good attention to detail. Although it was a little easy, the main game clocks in a good time for completion and there are almost unlimited amounts of side games with great rewards. In fact, the side games and missions were some of the most fun i had in this game. Unlike other games, these aren't just a throw away waste of time and are very rewarding. The main story line is every thing you could expect in a high school setting, which isn't a good thing, but it will still keep you going until the end and it has its twists. Overall, this is a great game and I would recommend it to anyone who like any GTA or those thought the GTAs were to violent but still want to feel the magic in rockstar. Expand
  24. KevinR.
    Jan 29, 2007
    A great game that paints a beautiful, satirical tapestry of New England-style prep schools. However, it is simply too short.
  25. GaryM.
    Nov 18, 2006
    I might sound like this is one of the funnest games ever, but that is because this is one of the funnest games... EVER! I give it an '8', because it could have been so much more (camera goes haywire at times; missions are somewhat scarce; I've had it with scavenger hunting!). However, if I had to decide betweeen GTA and Bully, then Bully wins by a landslide. I bet anything I might sound like this is one of the funnest games ever, but that is because this is one of the funnest games... EVER! I give it an '8', because it could have been so much more (camera goes haywire at times; missions are somewhat scarce; I've had it with scavenger hunting!). However, if I had to decide betweeen GTA and Bully, then Bully wins by a landslide. I bet anything that Bully 2(?) will bully and demand the players to beg for more. Buy it or rent it. You will not be dissapointed. Expand
  26. mobius
    Nov 23, 2006
    Now if your a decent gamer you will remember the fantastic game called Skool Daze on the old 8bit systems. this game is the unofficial continuation of that great game. if you want to try it out go to www.remakes.org and look for skool daze. or just go here to download it. http://retrospec.sgn.net/game-overview.php?link=ko99
  27. MikeG.
    Oct 17, 2006
    All I have to say is wow. Don't rent, buy this game. It is amazing. It might keep me off my 360 for a while. Rockstar you guys know how to make a good game. Keep it up.
  28. MikeM.
    Oct 18, 2006
    I've only gotten about 10 % into the game so far but to me...it's the best sandbox type game out so far. It take Grand Theft Auto to the schoolyard. Instead of shotguns, you get itching powder, instead of knives, you get bags of marbles and instead of a sniper, you get a slingshot and much much more. I suggest this game to anyone. Good graphics, fun story. It has everything. I I've only gotten about 10 % into the game so far but to me...it's the best sandbox type game out so far. It take Grand Theft Auto to the schoolyard. Instead of shotguns, you get itching powder, instead of knives, you get bags of marbles and instead of a sniper, you get a slingshot and much much more. I suggest this game to anyone. Good graphics, fun story. It has everything. I can't say that this is the best PS2 game of all time but...it is very high up there. Expand
  29. Melina
    Dec 11, 2006
    It's one of the best game that I ever played. Rockstar did a great job another time. I've been waiting a longtime for a game like that and I enjoyed playing it. If there is a continuation, I would be one of the first to buy it. VERY GREAT.
  30. AlexO.
    Mar 11, 2007
    I thought this game was revolutionary the story line was the best school pranking pranks I ever saw.
  31. JamieT.
    Nov 12, 2006
    A masterpiece. This game is so much fun, you shouldn't resist buying it!
  32. Tim
    Nov 18, 2006
    Bully is brilliant, addictive and an absolute riot to play. The only quibble is that most of the storyline missions tend to be fairly easy and straightforward, not needing the strategy and different approaches it took to complete the best of the GTA missions. Still, though, the sense of a living environment and characters is fantastic.
  33. MichaelJ.
    Dec 26, 2006
    The best video game I have ever played in my life! Great game play, sound, graphics, all work together to give you an awesome expeirience! I LOVE IT!
  34. WalterC.
    Nov 21, 2007
    When I first started playing Bully, the mechanics seemed shallow and gimmicky, capitalizing on the game's theme of being set in a boarding school. But as the game progressed, it became increasingly apparent that the shallowness in the mechanics was made up for by their quantity. Spraying graffiti in the game may not be much fun by itself, but spraying graffiti after breaking into a When I first started playing Bully, the mechanics seemed shallow and gimmicky, capitalizing on the game's theme of being set in a boarding school. But as the game progressed, it became increasingly apparent that the shallowness in the mechanics was made up for by their quantity. Spraying graffiti in the game may not be much fun by itself, but spraying graffiti after breaking into a locker and giving the school mascot a wedgie is a blast. The whole ends up being more than the sum of its parts. The graphics leave something to be desired, but it's PS2 after all. The music in the game is some of the least intrusive, most appropriate, most listenable, most original I've heard in any game. The story kept me playing through the slow parts, and although the game ran pretty long, the ending was satisfying and didn't leave me feeling gyped. If the game mechanics had been a little more challenging / interesting and if the graphics had been more up to date, Bully would have gotten a 10. Expand
  35. Jan 28, 2011
    This game is between GTA and a school that has different cliques that are different from everyone else. I love it!!!! Also, Jimmy Hopkins is one of the best characters ever made and I love the way you attack cops and adults and trying to get away from being caught by them.
  36. Aug 1, 2012
    Rockstar Games has always been known for their Grand Theft Auto series. But, know that I have finished playing Bully, I can honestly say that this game is one of Rockstar's best games. The story may be simple, but the voice acting is so engrossing and the environment of the town of Bullworth and Bullworth Academy will suck you in. Gameplay is very similar to GTA, only will a high schoolRockstar Games has always been known for their Grand Theft Auto series. But, know that I have finished playing Bully, I can honestly say that this game is one of Rockstar's best games. The story may be simple, but the voice acting is so engrossing and the environment of the town of Bullworth and Bullworth Academy will suck you in. Gameplay is very similar to GTA, only will a high school feel to it and is definitely more tame than GTA (it is rated T for teens of course). Graphics are the best they can be on a PS2 game and I can still call it a good looking game. Overall, there is a lot of things to do in this game from playing the story or exploring the world of Bully. A must buy for fans of open-world games. Expand
  37. Sep 15, 2011
    Awesome game with great dialogue, characters and gameplay. The school setting of the game is very unique and should be used more in games. One more thing is that when I first heard about this game I couldn't believe that people were complaining about a game that no one knew anything about.
  38. Oct 6, 2011
    A breath of fresh air for the sandbox genre, Bully is a well-written game from the people who put the GTA franchise on the map. What's really charming about this game is the fact that every character, whether they're central to the story or just a random pedestrian you find walking on the streets, has their own unique look and personality. Due to the hardware the game is running on, youA breath of fresh air for the sandbox genre, Bully is a well-written game from the people who put the GTA franchise on the map. What's really charming about this game is the fact that every character, whether they're central to the story or just a random pedestrian you find walking on the streets, has their own unique look and personality. Due to the hardware the game is running on, you might experience some pop-in and a sound glitch that mutes certain characters and environmental ambient sounds (although the latter is really rare) while playing the game. In the end, Bully is a truly unique gaming experience that offers plenty of bang for your buck. Expand
  39. Feb 12, 2012
    Bully is by FAR.. The BEST game on xbox 360, its by far the most underrated game ever... The story is AMAZING!!! Ø
  40. Nov 11, 2011
    This original title has a great story as well as a fun world to explore. This school setting feels like a whole new idea despite being so old. Despite a few flaws visually, I know you'll enjoy this game, especially its humor.
  41. Nov 25, 2013
    One of the best open world games I've ever played. I still find myself replaying it even to this day. A Rockstar classic that definitely deserves a sequel.
  42. Aug 29, 2012
    Bully is probably the best game on PS2. Its outrageous high school story and brilliant gameplay mechanics make this game an instant classic. Jimmy Hopkins is a 15 year old delinquent, after his mother re-marries he is sent to boarding school at Bullworth Academy. there he finds new friends, new enemies and new love in his journey to bring order to Bullworth and retake the school back fromBully is probably the best game on PS2. Its outrageous high school story and brilliant gameplay mechanics make this game an instant classic. Jimmy Hopkins is a 15 year old delinquent, after his mother re-marries he is sent to boarding school at Bullworth Academy. there he finds new friends, new enemies and new love in his journey to bring order to Bullworth and retake the school back from the bullies. Expand
  43. Jun 8, 2014
    Ahh.. Bully 2, a very unique game from rockstar, who usually makes ultra violent games. This game ain't nessecarily kid friendly, but just enough action/violence with a very unique setting in that of a private school. The gameplay itself was very diverse (minigames for classes, the weapons, a outer city away from the school, etc). The atmosphere was really cool, you got the preps, jocks,Ahh.. Bully 2, a very unique game from rockstar, who usually makes ultra violent games. This game ain't nessecarily kid friendly, but just enough action/violence with a very unique setting in that of a private school. The gameplay itself was very diverse (minigames for classes, the weapons, a outer city away from the school, etc). The atmosphere was really cool, you got the preps, jocks, nerds, etc just like in real life. The story was pretty good, although the game can get repititive with not much to do if you don't follow the main storyline. Overall, I remember enjoying this game a lot, something different, and just enough action, with an amazing atmosphere. Expand
  44. Nov 10, 2012
    a really old game but played it for 3 years stilll never gets bored and really worth to buy it even though it s 2012. i think rockstar should make bully2 and i did worte a fanfic about Bully which...well i am still working on the fanfic
  45. Oct 29, 2013
    In a nutshell, this is "GTA Jr."
    Instead of a city setting, it takes place at a large school campus. Instead of controlling a thug or gangster, you play a troubled teen. Instead of rival gangs, you have rival "cliques" like the jocks, nerds, preps, bullies, and greasers. Police presence is replaced by campus security and faculty, and cars are replaced by bikes, skateboards, and mopeds.
    In a nutshell, this is "GTA Jr."
    Rockstar did an amazing job turning this into an amazing alternative to their GTA genre.
    I hope to see more of Jimmy Hopkins.
  46. Aug 9, 2013
    To be honest, I don't enjoy any of the GTA games when it went into full 3D besides GTA IV because of its next-gen engine. Otherwise they're too frustrating for me. Though this game haven't aged at all. It's still just as fun as it was back in 2006 and still is one of my favorite sandbox games.
    Instead of stealing cars, you're stealing bicycles which is handled well! Instead of clunky shooting, it's fun beat 'em up-gameplay with easy combos which can be somewhat clunky at times. There are some shooting which in my opinion is alot better than GTA's, though it's a bit too easy.
    The story is also great. Think of GTA if it was more chlidish.

But the game isn't perfect: The city isn't so big and is kinda linear. Escaping the school guards and even the police is too easy since no-one in the city seems to have worked out as much as a 14 year old child.

If you love GTA, you might not like this game as much. But in my opinion: it beats out any GTA
  47. Jan 22, 2014
    A classic gta style sandbox. However its essentially a kid friendly version of gta. The size of the map is quite nice, and especially how the map has different sections like; the school, down town, the getto, the docks, the mental asylum, and the carnival. It controls just like a ps2 era gta game, so its easy to grasp the controls. The plot is fun if you are young and still in school,A classic gta style sandbox. However its essentially a kid friendly version of gta. The size of the map is quite nice, and especially how the map has different sections like; the school, down town, the getto, the docks, the mental asylum, and the carnival. It controls just like a ps2 era gta game, so its easy to grasp the controls. The plot is fun if you are young and still in school, that way you could relate to the whole click mentality. This game has a nice undertone of how hard it is to fit into a new school, and how you shouldn't judge people until you get to know them. The game length is quite nice not to long not too short. There are many aspects of the game that will distract you from the main story line such as, classes, side missions, social interaction, mini games, and of course what is a Rockstar game without collectables. I must say that the idea of school classes is a great one that has never been used before, and would be hard to recreate. The idea behind classes is that you only have two per in game school day, and each class will unlock certain things like science class improves your ability to make items like stink bombs etc... The classes are comprised of mini games that each have five levels. The mini games are also very fun like going to the carnival and playing carival games to win real prizes like a mo ped. The other cool thing is that because there is such a large map they include storage for bikes and mo peds. There is so much diversity in this game, so many places to explore, so many things to do that you really just need to play it for your self. You can find a copy on steam for around 15 dollars, or you can find a copy on the wii, or if you have a ps2 you can find a copy for next to nothing. This game defiantly deserves a squeal and knowing how Rockstar improves on its squeal, makes me excited for the future. Expand
  48. Mar 11, 2014
    +Great Level Design+
    +Excellent Soundtracks+
    +Great Voice Acting+
    +Awesome Combats+

Bully is one of the best PS2 games Ever developed.
  49. Mar 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It really should've been named Canis Canem Edit around the world instead of "Bully". The violence in this game is cartoonish, the characters are all hilarious, for a PS2 open world game the graphics are spectacular. I love how each kid at the school belongs to a gang, so if you punch a "nerd" his buddies throw green fuming chemical bombs at you, et cetera. The AI is what impresses me the most, it is so much more advanced compared to the PS2 GTA games. This game ain't about bullying, you can go into town and fight the police and adults, race karts on the streets, participate in bicycle races, date virtual girls, ... it's just juvenile fun. Having said that, if I had children, they wouldn't be allowed to play games such as this. Expand
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    Still an incredible game as we wait for a possible sequel. There's nothing I can write that hasn't already been written. If you haven't played Bully yet, what are you doing with your life?
  51. Oct 6, 2014
    This is a game that you wanna get. Rock star did a great job making the plot/story on this game and the characters its a stereotypical school with Jocks Nerds Preps Bullies and Greasers. This game is basically GTA but with kids its a amazing free roam world with a non-repeating plot. Over all its a great game if you causing trouble and having fun doing it

1. The first few minutes of Bully are claustrophobic and off-putting, but as soon as you and Jimmy settle in, the game becomes surprisingly endearing.
  2. Immaculately designed and an absolute joy to play through. The best game of the year so far. [Dec 2006, p.22]
  3. Characters are brilliant parodies of people we all know from school - the fat kid who smells of wee, the flirty art teacher, geeks who greet you with the word "salutations." The attention to detail and the jokes are what makes it so good, along with its "GTA"-like gameplay. [Dec 2006, p.80]