• Publisher: Acclaim
  • Release Date: Nov 1, 2001
7.7

1. BillK.
    Aug 8, 2003
    I'm giving this game a 10 because there was nothing like it when it came out (Now there's Need for Speed: HP2 and Burnout 2). GT3 is impressive, but with all its technical depth, its not as fun to me as a "shallow" arcade racer that's all about pure feel of speed and to hell with real-life physics. I'm still playing this game 3 years later. Some will whine that the I'm giving this game a 10 because there was nothing like it when it came out (Now there's Need for Speed: HP2 and Burnout 2). GT3 is impressive, but with all its technical depth, its not as fun to me as a "shallow" arcade racer that's all about pure feel of speed and to hell with real-life physics. I'm still playing this game 3 years later. Some will whine that the crash replays take away from your time...they don't. The clock stops while they show them. And when you restart you haven't lost any ground to other cars from the replays...just from the crash itself. This game is FAST, tense, and fun. A classic. Expand
  2. BenN.
    Aug 18, 2003
    This game is beta then Burnout 2 ! every1 rates it so low coz they suck at it.
  3. JohnJ.
    Dec 23, 2001
    Great game! - This is what ps2 is designed for, just like playing in the arcade! Gran Turismo blows compared to this!
  4. MichaelJ.
    Mar 19, 2002
    I've go this game and it's the best game I've ever played.
  5. BrianN.
    Jun 28, 2006
    great physics. This games adds a new kick to racing.
  6. MarkS.
    Dec 29, 2001
    Absolutely and utterly addictive... If you like your racing games fast and furious you'll love it.
  7. Sep 20, 2010
    Burnout is a great arcade racer. The game a nice but small selection of cars which are nicely detailed. The race tracks are also nice to race around from the heavy streets of Gridlock USA to the nice seaside views of Harbor Town. The music is especially great (beats the official licenced music in the later Burnout Games) and really gets the adrenaline pumping. The racing is standard stuff:Burnout is a great arcade racer. The game a nice but small selection of cars which are nicely detailed. The race tracks are also nice to race around from the heavy streets of Gridlock USA to the nice seaside views of Harbor Town. The music is especially great (beats the official licenced music in the later Burnout Games) and really gets the adrenaline pumping. The racing is standard stuff: you race with up to 3 other opponents and race through the checkpoints within the time limit otherwise you lose. Also you have to watch out not to crash into traffic which if you don't avoid them, can make for some satisfying crash effects. Additional cars are won by winning them in Face off events. It is pointless trying to race with the tow truck or Bus as they are too slow. Also you only have a limited time to get across from checkpoint to checkpoint so you can't afford to crash a lot. The other opponents also cheat so they always stay with you regardless how fast your going and it is frustrating when your moments away from the finishing line and crash into a barrier or car and have the lead snatched away from you on the last corner. Burnout is a nice arcade racer and has started one of the finest arcade racing series of all time. Expand
  8. Oct 3, 2010
    When I got this game I had a blast with it, even a few occasions where it would make me laugh out laud. The concept was very refreshing at the time and is still being used in current generation games.
  9. Nov 22, 2010
    When Burnout first came out, there was no equal. It's fast-paced races, combined with the amazing crashes and the ability to leave it all and try and set a better time than you had made Criterion Games a household name. The only thing I could criticize was the lack of more racers in a race (ONLY FOUR RACERS?). Burnout thoroughly deserves this 9.
  10. Jul 7, 2016
    The first Burnout game to start the series of Burnout.This game is very good but it is also missing other things to do in this game anyway still it is a fun game.

#42 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001

1. There’s not anything earth-shatteringly new in Burnout, but overall it’s a lot of fun to play.
  2. AI concerns make driving into oncoming traffic easier than it should be, while the moderate, but not extensive amount of cars and tracks mean that you'll be able to wrap up single player in less than ten hours.
  3. A racing title that blends adrenaline-pumping racing action to its purest level. Excellent physics detection and even better physical car damage and being topped off with crisp sound makes Burnout a title that should not be overlooked.