• Publisher: Bandai
  • Release Date: Jun 2, 2005
6.9

1. Jul 20, 2013
    A horrendously bad game. I haven't played any other Digimon World games, but I don't think I want to. There is a lot of information needed to be known by the player in terms of stats, equipment, spells, etc. However, the game does an atrocious job of teaching it to you. Learning the rules of the game is optional and forces you to talk to rooms filled of tutorial-elves. Combat isA horrendously bad game. I haven't played any other Digimon World games, but I don't think I want to. There is a lot of information needed to be known by the player in terms of stats, equipment, spells, etc. However, the game does an atrocious job of teaching it to you. Learning the rules of the game is optional and forces you to talk to rooms filled of tutorial-elves. Combat is ridiculous. Your character swings your sword with the same animation over and over, causing sword-fighting to look goofy and ineffective. Level structure is abominable. There are no save points, meaning every time you die you have restart from the main hub. This presents forced back-tracking, making traversing through the world repetitive. If the game was easy, this wouldn't be such a big problem. The enemies take a massive amount of hits, barely drop health-restoring items, are more agile than you, and respawn constantly. The game is designed to be played with four people, but more often than not you'll be playing alone or with one other person. One could rationalize that you can buy healing items, but they are ridiculously overpriced. Not only that, but whenever you die you loose all of your money. You can revive your past-self to regain your money, but reviving requires an item that is rarely dropped by enemies. Digimon World 4 is a giant mess of missed-direction, confusion, and frustration. The story is non-existent, the gameplay is shallow and poorly executed, the mechanics are unexplained and confusing. It could possibly be the worst game I've ever played. Expand

1. I really tried to understand the appeal of Digimon, but the bland little scamps just rub me the wrong way. Digimon World 4 won't convert anyone who doesn't already get it.
    It has a wholly unsatisfying single-player game, made worse by a clunky camera and overly cheap enemies. It's also unbalanced, leaving players without any compatriots out in the cold.
  3. A poor imitation of a solid RPG. It plays like a knock off. On one hand I'm glad to see that Digimon is changing its direction but on the other hand I have a finger that can't wait to press the Off button.